Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester vs Toyota RAV4

kecckecc Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Subaru
In the past 23 years I have owned just two cars, both hatchbacks, a '78 Corolla for 189,000+ miles and currently a '90 Prizm now at 207,000+ miles. I intend to buy a new car before the next New England winter. I have narrowed it down to the Forester or RAV4. In the test drive I thought the Forester had better acceleration, a major concern since my commute entails entering the 70 mph highway traffic from a stop. Both have good reliability and safety ratings ... neither has the fuel efficiency I currently have ... and on other aspects they seem to be evenly split. If I'm going to spend $20,000+ I want to make a good decision. What advice can you give me?

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    They're both good, as you know.

The Forester "is" a car, so it does meet all the car safety and crash requirements. The Rav4 is considered a multi-purpose vehicle, which is not required to meet those tougher car standards. For example, the rear bumper of the Rav4 would never pass the car bumper test. Its rear bumper is really a joke. Actually the rear mounted spare tire is the bumper, and when that gets hit, expect huge rear end damage and repair costs.

I would think the Forester, because it has a larger engine, is better able to deal with full loads better than the Rav4.

I like the "looks" of the Rav4 better, but the Forester "works" better, IMO.

For what it's worth, there will be an all-new Forester arriving here next February or March.

Bob
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The Forester. I felt it drove better than the RAV4 or the CRV. It also felt more solid IMO. Have 25,000 miles on our 01 S and have not regretted the decision for a minute.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Karen: I drove both way back when they came out and chose the Forester.

The RAV4 seemed a bit small and didn't have enough pep, but other than that I liked it. At the time the warranty was 3/36, though now it's longer, and the new one also has more power. Still no rear bumper, so if you chose it just make sure to buy the accessory bumper to have some protection.

But I have no regrets, the Forester has been great. I'm averaging over 25mpg overall, and it's been on the beach, farm, and a few orchards. I have used the roof rack extensively, and I could not live without it. I've also towed and hauled pretty big payloads.

It's never let me down in 3 years and 39k miles. In fact, it's very likely that our next car with be another Subaru. If the WRX were a little bigger, the wife would own one now. Guess I have to wait for a Legacy turbo.

-juice
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    kecc: I bought the '01 RAV4, and have no regrets.

I find the power adequate - not great, but adequate, and cruising 70 mph is easy and quiet. The larger Forester engine would probably be better from standing starts.

If you are going to have adults riding in the back seats, be sure to carefully check out both vehicles on this score.

NHTSA rollover tests are not yet in for the RAV. My fingers are crossed.

Both manufacturers are above average for durability, reliability, resale value, etc.

Mileage: I'm getting 26.8 mpUSg, 50/50 suburbs/hwy, with auto trans.

Almost 9,000 miles, and no problems to date.

I doubt you would go wrong with either choice.

Good luck.
    ejp
    Update on my post #5:

I just checked their site again- NHTSA has rated the '01 RAV4 at 3 stars (both FWD and 4WD) for the rollover test, the same as the Forester and many other SUV's. None were rated higher, a few were lower.
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov, then look for 'rollover resistance ratings' then 'rated vehicle details'.
    I have now uncrossed my fingers.

ejp
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    that rollover test is a calculation, not any dyanmic examination of a vehicles resistance (or lack thereof) to rolling over in every day driving. useless IMO.
    alpha01:
    Do you know of a better rollover test, one you consider to be accurate?
    Actually, it's not just a calculation. They put the vehicles on a ramp and then incline them until two wheels tip off the ground.

It is just a static measurement, and I agree a dynamic one would be far more useful.

-juice
  • rneselrnesel Member Posts: 5
    For what it's worth...Recently conducted my own "unofficial" stability test on both the RAV4 and the Forester. Had fully expected to buy the RAV4 til I tried gentle, on-street swerving during the test drive...felt a definite, somewhat unnerving rocking motion. The 2001 model did better than the 1999. Tried the same thing in the Forester and it felt solid.
    The Click and Clack (sp?) guys mentioned the RAV4 felt succeptible to cross winds, similar to your impression.

At the limit, though, the tires give. It would seem pretty difficult to actually roll one.

-juice
    The Tappet Brothers comment (that I read) about the RAV in a crosswind was for the previous generation RAV. I don't know if Click and Clack have reviewed the new RAV yet.

ejp
    Good point. That's true.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Rita,

The Forester feel's more solid when "swerving" because it has a lower center of gravity. The Forester uses a boxer engine that, unlike the inline-4 used in the RAV4, lies low in the engine bay.

Ken
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I drove both. A Forester L and a RAV4 L. Both pretty much optioned the same. Forester would have been my choice between these 2. RAV4 was buzzy and did not have the power the Forester had. Interior was also very cheap in my opinion.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I've noticed that the entire Subaru line has frameless window glass, meaning that the door glass doesn't ride in a track on either side of the door frame. The old hardtops used to come that way. I've always been concerned that this set up is more prone to wind noise, seal drying, and is easier to break into using a hangar. Any thoughts out there on this or do you consider it a non-issue?
    We've got two Subies, a '96 Impreza Outback and an '01 Forester. It's never been a problem with either vehicle.

Bob
    Look closely at the way they seal - there are actually two seals. If the outer seal leaks, there is a 2nd inner seal to catch any water or wind.

I have a 1300psi pressure washer and use that to wash my car. It never leaks, not a drop. My Miata does, but it's because of the soft top, not the frameless doors (which it also has).

Frameless windows are used on lots of high-end cars, like the priciest Mercedes and BMW coupes. The doors are lighter, and allow for thin pillars and better visibility.

C&D measures noise at 70mph, and in several comparisons with small SUVs, the Forester has always been the quietest or tied for the quietest.

-juice
  • kecckecc Member Posts: 2
    ... you helped me make my decision to purchase a Forester. I started this discussion line last July, bought a red Forester with the black trim at the end of August, and been happily driving it ever since. It was a difficult decision as I've been very satisfied with Toyota engines over the past 23 years, but this time around Subaru was my choice based on road stability and carrying capacity. I truly appreciate your advice.
    Congrats, Karen. Join us for our live chat tonight, 9pm eastern. Or hop over to the Subaru Crew topics under Owners Clubs and introduce yourself to everyone. :-)

-juice
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    are usually quieter that framed ones, because the wind gets into the frames and then has to travel around them, generating additional resistance.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

With frameless windows you have only one joint to seal (glass to rubber) that could potentially leak. With door frames you have more (glass to door, door to A-pillar).

Plus, look closely at a newer Subie and you'll see they are double sealed. If water manages to get past the first seal, there is a channel for water to drain out, and another seal.

It can take the pressure of a 1300 psi pressure washer and not leak, so I'm sure it's more than adequate for any rain.

-juice

PS They work great on the M3 and Porsche 911 turbo!
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    ... for a major business daily. I am the reporter for a fun auto feature and am seeking drivers of both the Subaru Outback and the Toyota RAV-4 [hybrid electric model]. If you drive such a car, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com and include your daytime telephone number so I can call you to talk about your experiences with the vehicle
    Why the Outback, and not the Forester? The Forester is a more direct competitor to the Rav4 than is the Outback.

Bob
    when they call the RAV4-EV a "hybrid car". What exactly is hybrid? it is an all-electric vehicle...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Maybe they meant it's a car-truck hybrid, not referring to the powertrain at all?

-juice
    have been asking me if my Matrix is a hybrid...everyone thinks it is...I think the word they were actually looking for was "crossover"...that is probably what is going on here too, you are right...

Problem is, what are now called "crossover vehicles" often used to be called "hybrids", before the gas-electric vehicles were introduced.
    Some people (non car nuts) still use the old designation.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So we'll have to call a gas/electric Murando, say, a hybrid cross? Sounds like something grown in the cornfields around here, and if it burns ethanol, I guess that's even more appropriate.

Steve, Host
    Yep, lots of people call my Forester a "hybrid". Still.

Escape will come in a hybrid soon, so will that be the first hybrid crossover? ;-)

-juice
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    Please note the 2002 J D Power Survey and where the Toyota RAV4 ranked:

http://www.motorportal.com/j__d__powers_survey.htm

Thought everyone would be interested in this survey.

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Kudos to Toyota for their excellent showing. However, with Buicks winning a couple of categories, in my mind, it throws suspicion on all the results. I know the validity of the J D Power Surveys (as well as CR's and others) have been discussed in other forums so I won't go there here.

-Frank P.
    That's cool, note the Forester is also in the top 3, just below.

CR had Forester slightly ahead of the RAV4 in reliability, but that was the 2002 model. 2003s should be good because they have the new wheel bearing design, and that was probably the most common complaint on the old Forester.

-juice
    I thought that vehicles like RAV and Forester were called mini-utes, and that vehicles that clearly crossed wagons or hatchbacks with the ride height of SUVs were called crossovers?

I am getting lost in all the naming games!

• mcscully731mcscully731 Member Posts: 11
    I plan to buy a small SUV next year (most likely in about 6 months), and am considering both the 2.5 XS Forester and RAV4 L (I would also consider the CRV if it wasn't for the truly hideous interior). However, I was curious as to whether anyone knows if there will be updates to the 2004 editions of these two vehicles? I read somewhere that Subaru might be putting the turbo 227-HP WRX engine in the Forester for 2004, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up about it...
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    As far as I am aware of, there are no major revisions for the '04 model year for the RAV4.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    it's true!

the 04 forester will be getting a turbo motor, but the rumors are flying as to which engine exactly we'll be seeing...most reports I've read point to a 2.0l WRX motor making perhaps a bit less HP and a bit more torque down low, but nothing's official. Others seem to "know" that it's a 2.5l turbo coming...either way, it should be quite a ride. Early price estimates are around $26K. We'll know by June 03 when they should start hitting the showrooms.

B
    I doubt they will revise RAV again before the next generation comes out, which is going to be '05 or '06 model year, IIRC. It just had its mid-model revision, with the addition of the chrome roof rails and the sport version with the hood scoop.

Rumors are running rampant, but I think the Forester will get a 2.5l turbo, light-pressure, VW and Volvo style, with a little over 200hp.

Why? Well, we got a hold of an internal memo from the SIA plant, and they specify a 2.5l turbo engine will go in the Baja soon, so it'll already certified for use in the US.

They notify the employees at the plant because they'll be building the Bajas.

Forester still could get the JDM 217hp 2.0l turbo, but I doubt they'd go through the cost of certifying a 4th turbo engine (WRX, STi, Baja, and now Forester).

-juice
    the SIA newsletter said Baja turbo, but nothing about the displacement.

Bob
    Sorry, I'm mixing rumors. My dealer said 2.5l turbo, actually several have. They might be spreading false rumors, though, in order to surprise people later.

-juice
    it's hard to keep track of them all.

Prediction:

If the STi does not have the "rumored" 2.5, neither will the Baja or Forester.

If, however, the STi gets the 2.5, I say there's there's a 60/40 change in favor of both the Baja and Forester getting a de-tuned version of the 2.5 too.

We should start a countdown to the Detroit show. It starts in about 3 weeks or so.

Bob
    Yeah, and I'll be in Brazil for two of those weeks. Not a bad place to be while you're waiting!

-juice
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Folks,

Couple quick questions.

Are all the '04 Foresters coming with a Turbo? or just some?

Are we sure about the June 03 launch date for them?

Because, honestly, if the 04 Foresters are coming out in June, I'll wait till then to get one. I figure if they have a color I like better I get it, and if they don't, I get a left-over 03 at a nice discount. :)

*HINT* Of the colors available now, make the freakin Cayenne Red available in the XS trim!

- Lou
    I'm sure the turbo will be only on the top trim level. That's the way Subaru offers the turbo in other markets. I see no reason for them to change that policy.

Bob
    But you can get a 5 speed Premium for just a tad over $22 grand street price right now, so a turbo probably won't cost more than $24 grand or so, at least I'm hoping.

A leather auto premium is about $24 grand currently, so with those it might cost $25-26k or so.

-juice
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    2003 Forester XS w/ Premium Package for $22,495!

2003 Subaru Forester XS Premium

1.9% Financing Available on This Car*

Stk # SU30042 5 Door, Auto, Climate Control, Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors, ABS, AM/FM/6-CD Changer, Tilt, Cruise, Front/Side Airbags, Alloy Wheels, plus:

Windshield Wiper De-Icers

Heated Mirrors

Heated Front Seats

Armrest Extension

ONE HUGE MOONROOF!

That's a great price for an automatic. I've seen 5 speed for just over $22 grand.

When you consider all the features you get, it's a deal.

-juice
    of Subie's wonderful new upcoming powertrains, I wonder if Toyota will ever add any power to the RAV, which quite frankly could use a little?

It seems to me that size-wise these two are each other's only direct competition, and Forester never feels like it is straining on the highway the way RAV occasionally does.

If they could even just shove the Camry's current 4-cyl in the RAV, that would give it another 10 hp and 20 lb-ft.

I think Toyota might bore/stroke the 2.0 a little for the next incarnation. Plus whatever tech advances in the next year or so could be added in.

But I think the Camry's 4 is too big, and would upset the balance of the RAV.
    Yeah, gotta keep it light. Maybe they could do some VVTi magic.

Subaru has VVT in the JDM models, they call it AVCS. We're still waiting for it to arrive on US models.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.