Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Honda
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your CRV!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Hi Karen,

Glad to see that we have a forum for fixes, upgrades, and modifications. That's one of the tougher parts about posting here at the Town Hall. I have to keep referencing other sites because I can't index them here!

Anywho... I'm Varmit. The name was borrowed from my pet ferrets. I own a '99 Sebring Silver EX and have about 45K on it now. It's a 5 speed named "Buster" and he gets me about 24-26 mpg. He's never seen any work except routine maintenance.

I've recently caught a bad case of accessoritis and have added heated leather seats, an OEM skid plate, chrome wiper nozzles with blue lights (you just have to see them to understand), the passenger armrest, Tenzo wipers (a gift), the OEM cargo mat, OEM front mud guards, all red tail lights, and most importantly a GoongalaGoonga sticker.

I've been to two recent CR-V meets. One off-raod trip in the Allegheny National Forest and a road rally in Glen Burnie, MD. Both were great experiences.
  • recsrecs Member Posts: 6
    Hello Karen,

Obviously, I am new to this.

I’m Ron and I own a Black 1999 CR-V EX known as “GADGET” to all the members of Hondasuv.com as well as to my family and friends. My wife and kids gave that name to her. She is an automatic and has appx. 23k’s on the road. Besides for routine maintenance she has never had to be taken back to the dealer/mechanic.

I have made quite a few modifications to “GADGET” (the reasons my wife and kids gave her the name) and rather than list them all, I think it would be easier for anyone interested in the modificatrions to visit my site…

http://www.RONS99CR-V.com

I will say that the “GoongalaGoonga” decal (it’s a hondasuv.com thing) that Varmint mentioned in his post is displayed proudly on “GADGET”!

I too have been to the meets that Varmint mentioned and have had the opportunity to meet some really nice people (all CR-V owners of course). We had a blast at both of those meets and I hope to attend more in the future. BTW…Varmint, do you have any updates on the Cooperstown trip?

Well, I hope that I can contribute some of my CR-V experience to this forum.

Ron

• sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I'm another owner that is a regular over at hondasuv.com (where I post as "CR-Vince") My "accesoritis" is mostly in remission now, but not before my Y2K Electron Blue EX got some perks, the latest of which is a treatment of Llumar window tint. Most of the other stuff is chronicled at http://www.TexasBlueBetty.com. I helped put together a small meeting of CR-V owners in Houston back in February.

And I am very proud to be the first owner to post a pic in the Owners Photo Gallery. Woohoo!
    Slugline - I had no idea that you're also CR-Vince. You crafty Texan, you! :-)

Ron - Nope, I'm going to e-mail Chas today.
  • barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    I'm a happy owner of a 2001 EX (until the PTTR problem gets fixed).

I'll try to attend one on those meets whenever the location is the tri-state area :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Nice to meet you all!

Someone mentioned CRV meetings/events. How about a discussion devoted to that? Some of the other more active clubs have them. If you can provide links to information about these meets/events, I can put them in the additional resources box.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    I know of three that are in the works right now.

September in the Sequoias

St. Augustine Scrub

And another in Cooperstown, NY, which may or may not be cancelled. If it does get the axe another one in New England may pop up later in the year.

• reiner4reiner4 Member Posts: 24
    Hey Varmit, Vince and Ron....thought I might find you guys here !! 8-)

I'm a happy owner of a Supermarine Blue '99 EX Auto with 36k miles of trouble free...'realtime fun' ! I have to admit that back in '97 I thought this lil trucklet was pretty plain looking and never imagined I would own one. As the years passed and I was in need of a versatile vehicle that was good on road with some off-road prowess I found that the CR-V met all our needs. Since we are long time Honda fans, other than sitting in the front and rear seats to verify the roominess, we ordered it without even a test drive !

Still thinking that it was on the plain looking side - I have added the following accessories:

* OEM Rear Spoiler
    * OEM Hard Spare Cover (painted to match body color)
    * OEM Side & Rear Sports Trim
    * OEM Muffler Tip
    * Manik Stainless Steel Tail Light Guards
    * Stainless Steel Head Light Guards
    * COBRA Bull Guard
    * OEM Tweeter / Woofer / Coaxial Speaker Upgrades
    * OEM Full Alarm System
    * WeatherTech WeatherFlector window guards
    * Tinted windows all around
    * Passenger Arm Rest
    * OEM Nose Mask
    * OEM Cargo Cover & Mat
    * All-Red Tail Lights

I have been a participant here on Edmunds Town Hall, as well as over on the CRV-IX at hondasuv.com. In the almost 2 years of ownership I have corresponded with a great group of CR-V owners, and have even got to meet a handful of 'em at several CRV-IX related gatherings in both Northern and Southern California (ie. Silicon Valley CR-V Lunch; Rincon Trail; Ridge Route Off-Road / Camping Trip, Pismo Beach Camping Trip.

I live in Gilroy, CA (just south of San Jose) and proudly display CRV-IX and GoongalaGoonga stickers on the rear hatch window, not to mention a 'REALTIME FUN' sticker that replaced the standard issue sticker.

Regards and GoongalaGoonga to all !!

Here's a couple pics:

• macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    Mine is a '99 silver EX 5 sad. which I bought based largely on data greened from the Edmunds CR- forums. Although I test drove competing brands, the info here proved correct. Varmint & others answered my questions and their advice was a great help. I'm involved with a girls fast pitch softball league and the rear area has more than adequate space for bags & equipment. My wife drives a '99 Chewy Malibu and my other car is a toy I have owned for 32 years, a '69 Mach1 Mustang. I worked for the kept Of Transportation & they use macadam to pave roads, hence my user name "Macadam1". I had paid for the Glen Burnie meet but problems precluded attendance. I enjoy pro football and am always involved in numerous Fantasy Football leagues. Might be fun to have an internet Fantasy Football league of CR-V owners. Post if your interested & I will start a league.
    A check of my user profile would have clued you in to who I was very quickly. When I began car shopping 1.5 years ago, I found Edmunds and registered in Town Hall a couple of months before I had any idea I would become "CR-Vince." :)
    You're right. The e-mail address should've given it away. Well, I'm glad to see you here. :-)

Now, if I could just find out who Beatfarmer's secret identity is....
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Go away for a few days and this happens.

I am also a cross-poster (I go as Bobby M over at the IX -- there you go Kyle). I tend to read more than post over there these days but do read it almost daily. I post here more often since I like the interaction with other vehicle owners (especially them Fanta Se owners)

I drive a Black '99 EX that I drive daily and haul the family around in. Since purchasing it in July of '99, I've added OEM floor mats, mud guards, window tint, OEM roof rack, OEM tweeters, and dirt.

I feel so exposed now.
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

Carried out a great deal of research on the CR-V here on Edmunds (fantastic amount of great info from all you owners!) and other sites.

Reiner4, I'm impressed with your accessorized
    CR-V!!

My wife and I just purchased a 2001 white CR-V LX with several accessories from the dealer. Single disk CD player & front splash guards. The dealer kindly comped (our Honda purchase from him) us a full set of mats.

We've ordered some additional accessories off of the Net. WeatherTech WeatherFlector front and rear window guards, keyless entry and an OEM rubber mat for the cargo section.

This is the second Honda for us (owned a 2000 silver Civic EX Coupe which we traded in for the CR-V. We needed the better utility of the CR-V) and we're very happy with our decision.

Looking forward to reading future posts in the various CR-V owners sections. Glad to be part of this group. Take care.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Great to see some of the old names, Varmit, Bobby M, CR-Vince and others.
    I too am a cross-poster, Bobby G from the IX.

As some of you know I have a 2000 EX, Clover Green with about 10k miles.
    Where should I start, added the spoiler, sport bars, bug deflector, vent shades, PIAA 2.5" projector lights, full window tinting, speaker up-grade, floor and cargo mats, auto dimming/compass/temp. rear view mirror and some extra interior lighting.
    Sometimes I hate to take the "V" out of the nest, if you know what I mean.

Today I got my skid plate, guess what I am doing tomorrow?
    Thanks and talk to you all soon.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Just don't forget which is the primary citizenship.

My CR-V is a '99 EX 5spd with a number of Honda accessories added, including an increase in power due to this modification:

TheRacoon ;)

In regards to "primary citizenship," you can bet we won't travel to far from the mothership.
    Happy "V"ing. :)

PS How much added H. P. do you get from the prop. Bet it keeps the "tailgaters" off.
    The Racoon - Don't you think that link is a little hard on the "anti-GoongalGoongans"? I mean, sure they're a pesky bunch, but sending them to a Kia website might be considered cruel and unusual.
  • darthlingdarthling Member Posts: 2
    As Roadkill. I don't post here too much, just usually read the posts. Except lately I have been over at the Anti-SUV board defending the V. To pro-SUVers at that!

I'd post a photo of my V, but the only mods I've made are tinted windows, a hitch, and a drink to fill one of the cup holders. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I modded my tires too, they are now bald. :) Soon to be replaced with some LTX's.
    But also right in this case. At the time it was created, there was a lot of anti-GG messages being posted over there.

I've changed it to remove that. :)

http://home.rochester.rr.com/racoon/crv/hp/CRV_HP.html

The Racoon - There was no need to change it. I remember that exchanges that brought about the need for such a link. It's just that I'd forgotten what it was, got curious, then made the mistake of clicking on it myself.

I still get shivers....
    LOL! How could you fall for that one? TheRacoon, you can be mean at times. :-)

See you guys over in the Vix...

GoongalaGoonga,
    Ron
    I'll take a 5th...Glenlivet, if you please. ;)

Yes, I can at times be spiteful, vindictive, and down right nasty.

I used to have a bumper sticker on my car:

Don't Get Mad
    Get Even

Of course I also had one that said:

Born Again Pagan

when I lived down the street from a Jehovah's Witness temple. It stopped them from knocking on my door. :)
    I must say despite the way you talk about yourself that you DO have a fine sense of taste.
    I mean Glenlivet............smooth Scotch.

And beside's, it sounds like the bumper sticker worked better than putting a "NO SOLICITORS ALLOWED" sign on your front door. Good job!!
    My favorite response to solicitation is for the telemarketers for long distance companies. Using my best deadpan tone I tell them I don't own a phone.
    They never pronounce my last name correctly...I always say there is no one here by that name.

As for the door-to-door-join-the-fold-or-spend-eternity-in-fiery-torment peddlers, my reply is, "Sorry, I'm busy right now, but give me your home address and I'll be sure to drop by unexpected and uninvited." :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    "give me your home address..."

Karen, that's cruel. You give them hope. :-)
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i placed myslf on the "no call list" i haven't had one call since april. it works!!!!
  • indintrukindintruk Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I recently bought her a 2001 Civic, and I was impressed with the Honda quality. I am interested in getting a CR-V for myself, but the small engine concerns me. I plan to use it to haul the four of us and our gear on long trips. How do the 2001's do on the highway regarding power, engine whine, and the like? I plan to get an auto., but may opt for the 5sp. if that has more go. I would much appreciate any advice.
    Honda will be announcing the new 2002 CR-V in the next month or so. Rumors say it will have 160 hp, about a 10% increase over the '99-'01 engines.

I have a '99 EX 5spd and have had no problem hauling two adults, two teenagers, and camping gear for a week long trip. I've also taken it on a couple of long trips (1,200 miles round trip the longest) without any problem, including packing the inside to the roof with a luggage carrier on top for a 600 mile move.

In the '99-'01' the engine is the same in both the 5spd and automatic. Fuel mileage with the 5spd is better than the automatic, however the final gearing is better in the automatic (lower rpms at highway speeds = less engine noise).

You might try http://www.hondasuv.com. It's a great place for CR-V information.

• bluemoon2bluemoon2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello -- I've just purchased a 99'EX from a previous owner. She's got 38K miles on her and in very good condition considering a teenager drove her 30 miles every day from school and barn. I've spent a lot of time at this terrific site learning about what I wanted to buy, and what you have all said as previous owners. I'm very impressed that 1) most of you name your cars -- good sign, 2)the information that you all are providing is very eye-opening, and 3) I can tell that you all are very devout CR-V owners.
    I normally do not join chat sites, nor internet memberships, but I was very impressed with this one. It seems that many of you are from the mid-west to south east. I hail from the eastern side of Washington State. The only car clubs here are for Corvets or vintage models.
    As to the "pulling to the right" problem that I read in the Problem section of this site -- I too had that same struggle when I first brought Blue Moon home a couple of days ago. The very next day I had her checked out -- result -- she was a bit off align and her tires needed a bit of pressure and rotation. So far, so good.
    I'm taking her off for a 600 mile trip to the west side of the state and will be aware of the cruise problem now that I've learned of it on this site.
    Nice to read about all of you. I will be checking the postings and Problem section often to see what other things pop up. Also, I was VERY impressed about the back lighting that you can put on the CR-V. Why the heck didn't Honda do that in the first place? Is the rear lighting so bad that this can develop into a serious bumper/slammer problem? Seems like a practical way to spend extra on her.
    Hi there. My name is Ron and while I frequently check this forum I also check out www.HondaSUV.com. They have a world of archived information as well as a forum, Car of the Month (COTM) articles and write-ups on owner performed modifications. Some of them are helpful and some are useless.

Welcome to this site and if you get a chance you should try and check out one of the upcoming CR-V meets. They are a great way to meet some really nice people and see what some CR-V owners have done to their CR-V's and in some you even win door prizes. :-)

Talk to you later,

Goonga Ron

http://www.RONS99CR-V.com

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase! You will be very happy with her. As Ron said, www.hondasuv.com is also a very informative site with a GREAT group of people. I post there under the name "BobbyG."

If you ever have any problems or questions, somebody will always be able to help out.

Bye.
    Bob

http://www.geocities.com/bobbyg157/BobsVerdeV.html

• ellie13ellie13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    This is my first time participating in a message board like this.
    I was wondering if any of you would be able to help... I am currently in the market looking for an SUV. I really like the CR-V and everyone I know that has one loves it.
    I am basically looking for other opinions, good and bad, on the Honda CR-V. This is my first new car that I will be purchasing so I want to make sure that I make a good decision.
    I really want to know if the CR-V is a good choice when compared to the other SUV's such as the Nissan Xterra, Toyota RAV-4 etc.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    and welcome.

There are a few things you need to know about the CR-V.

First, it was resently feature in Consumer Reports as a "best buy" among other competing SUV's. The interior square footage is unmatched by any other SUV of its size as is handling, reliability and over all performance.

A CR-V will give you many years of happy V'ing without any problems, just do the necessary maintenance.

I suppose if there is one thing I would change, it would be the engine size. It is at times a little weak, but then we would be compromising the good fuel economy.

I, like you did quite a bit of "shopping" before I purchased my 2000 V'. Save time, you will be VERY pleased with the CR-V.

You can also find good information on the CR-V and a great group of people at the CRVIX forum;

http://www.hondasuv.com

I post there under the name of BobbyG.

There is another problem I have with the CR-V though, it's called "accessoritis." See what I mean here;

http://geocities.com/bobbyg157/BobsVerdeV.html

GoongalaGoonga :)
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • robertr4robertr4 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Folks! I just purchased a 2001 CRV LX automatic 4WD yesterday. (With roof rack,mudguard,door bumpguards and wheel locks, it came to $19K. You think that was a good deal?)

'am so glad to see a messageboard like this exists and very glad to meet all of you. For folks in Maryland seeking to buy a CRV, I think there is a $500 incentive floating around this weekend.

Robert
  • barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    i would have waited for the 2002 =)
  • dmpfromridmpfromri Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone - I am a new CRV owner, had some trouble early on (recall of seat belts) but I am happy to report that I have my vehicle back and it's awesome! If anyone is thinking about an SUV, I recommend the Honda. Drives smooth, has tons of room, and enough power that any girl could want!

Thanks for setting up this owners club! I hope to share info and keep up to date on CRV stuff as well.

Email id: dmpfromri@yahoo.com
    Thanks - dmp
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    congratulations onyour new car purchase, you might want to check out another CR-V board at http://www.hondasuv.com
  • carnivaljcarnivalj Member Posts: 12
    I also started posting at the CRV-IX after I brought my new baby home on Friday. I had been lurking there and here learning all about the new CRV and everyone's opinion of them. I haven't been able to play much because I worked all weekend. :( I'm really pleased with it so far. I filled up this afternoon when I was at half and figured I made 24.6 MPG in the mostly highway driving I've done so far. Not as good as the 98 Civic LX I had - but the V has tons more room. I have room for my German Shepherd now. I really liked the red that is out there too but it needs the black interior instead of the yucky tan that they put in it. I did pay sticker but did well on the trade-in so I'm happy.
  • hvthvt Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a Honda CRV 2002 2WD. Do you know what is the price?

Thanks
    HVT
    Try here. First press release on the page. These are, of course, the MSRP prices. You should be able to do at least a few hundred better than MSRP.
  • queenclioqueenclio Member Posts: 3
    Got to drive my new-to-me '99 Clover Green EX in to work for the very first time today. It handled much better than my old car, a '95 Altima. Barely even felt the wind gusts--and I used to get practically jerked into another lane. I have a daily 90 mile roundtrip commute so I'm sure my new "Green Machine" and I will become very well acquained. Thanks for all the info you guys provided me during my lurking days.
    Hopefully you'll find your CR-V every bit up to the tasks you set out for it, as I've found mine. How much did you pay for your '99 EX? I'm curious what the possible value of my 2000 EX might be, although I don't see a need to part with it anytime soon!
    Join us for our next CR-V meet. Don't worry, most of them don't involve this much snow.

I bought it from a Honda dealership. They were asking $17,500 with 33,000 miles on it (it's an auto, btw). As you might imagine, I paid less for it & got them to throw in a dog barrier and the "Honda Certified" paperwork. I'm not sure if I have the std bells and whistles or some options. I have fog lights & a single CD player. It has brand new tires on it, too.I have the paperwork on it (and ran it through carfax, too). It was a lease from the same dealership. Hope that gives you some idea of what yours would be worth on the market.
    Those Honda salespeople are programmed to keep telling you how well their cars hold their values . . . just wanted to see if it was true!
    Here's a rare one. I have 50K on my 99 EX. When I was "shopping" the '02, I got an offer of $17.5K on mine as a trade in. Mind you, we weren't signing papers and I'm sure that the trade in value would've dropped as soon as we starting closing a deal, but that's not a bad place to start given the mileage.
    OK, I give. Why didn't Honda put a gas cap holder on the CR-V? Anyone know the best/cheapest place to get one? Also, has anyone put Dynamat (or other brands) on their CR-V? This isn't a slam. I've found every vehicle I've owned to be a little noisier than I like. This is just the first vehicle where I care enough to do something about it.
This discussion has been closed.