Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• gapdragongapdragon Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know of something similar to the K&N FIPK that is available to fit a 1998 CR-V?

The FIPK from K&N replaces the air intake ducting to allow for better breathing. K&N does not make an FIPK for the CR-V, though.

Thanks,

John
    manningj@attbi.com
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I'm not sure if it's an FIPK, but you can check out http://www.rons99cr-v to see a CR-V with a K&N intake installed. AEM and DC Sports list intakes specifically for the CR-V. Engine-wise, the CR-V is a close relative of cars like the Civic Si and Integra LS of similar vintage; if you see an intake for those cars that you like, it may be worth asking the manufacturer if it can possibly be a fit.
  • gapdragongapdragon Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

www.rons99cr-v/ seems to be a bad link. At least, I can't connect to it. I get:

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Thanks,

John
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
  • wongsterwongster Member Posts: 7
    Just curious - I know that the CR-V LX's are already set up for keyless entry, and I have the instructions to program the fob, but anyone know if you can override a current program? In other words, if I buy a used CR-V keyless remote, will going thru the programming process set it up for my vehicle> TIA
    The info below is only meant to cover 1997-2001 CR-Vs. 2002 LXs do not come with a keyless receiver from the factory and may behave differently than what I'm about to write. . . .

Actually wongster, it's the other way around: Each fob emits a unique code (that cannot be changed). The programming sequence teaches the car to respond to your desired set of fobs. But, yes, this overrides any programming that was there before.

For example, if you have a CR-V that responds to fobs "A" and "B" . . . then purchase fob "C" and perform programming with only fob "C" . . . the result will be that the CR-V will ignore "A" and "B" but respond to "C." If you want to use all three, then you will need to perform the programming sequence using all three fobs.

For those of you with keyless entry that subsequently purchase an aftermarket alarm system, you may want to de-program the Honda keyless entry system completely. You can do this by performing all the normal steps for programming, but skip any steps that actually involve the fobs. The keyless system will wind up with a program that recognizes no remotes. Now you can sell those fobs on eBay with confidence that they can never be used to get in your car again!
  • wongsterwongster Member Posts: 7
    NT
  • dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    Is metal grille bars available for 2002 CR-V? I was only able to find them for 1997-2001 models
    Thanks
  • jspain1jspain1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks.

Just got my '02Ex (silver) and want to dress it up. Need some advice. Has anyone got the wood or metal dash kits? Which looks better? Also is there any good looking bug deflectors out there. I had one on my "97 CR-V that looked great, but the ones that I've seen for the 2002 models look really bad. thanks in advance for your help.
    Joe
  • a1speciala1special Member Posts: 13
    I have installed the wood grained kit on the tan interior of my white 2002 CRV. I believe the metal look would look great on the black interior. Easy to install, but take care, follow the directions. A1Special
  • jspain1jspain1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I wonder if the metal scratchs easily? Any special tips on installation?
  • a1speciala1special Member Posts: 13
    Not metal - plastic with metallic "look".
    The installation was such that thin strips of adhesive tape with peel-off paper are crisscrossed on the back side of the piece. You have to clean the surface of the dash with alcohol and apply. You partially remove the peel-off paper, then carefully position the piece. Then, slowly pull off the remaining paper. It is not forgiving if the piece is misaligned. Take care the first time. Eight pieces all together. A1S
  • sfsmithsfsmith Member Posts: 20
    Spent about 4 hours today putting a "Honda" trailer hitch and wiring harness on my 02 CRV. Excellent directions, relatively easy, certainly straight forward. I looked at aftermarket hitches, but they were not nearly as well thought out as Honda's. The hitch hangs down lower than I thought it would, but is no big deal.
    Sfs
  • chessie3chessie3 Member Posts: 2
    For Honda accesories look at www.collegehillshonda.com/parts
  • lovecraftlovecraft Member Posts: 3
    Greetings All,

I'm a first time poster and have a question regarding roof racks for the 2002 CR V. I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket roof rack but I am concerned about added wind noise. If I add them will there be an noticeable increase? I have a Mojave Mist EX and tend to have the moon roof open alot.
  • jardr1jardr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CRV and am planning on installing a roadmaster baseplate for a tote car has anyone done this and how hard is it to do. i also want to installs the Gold Package is this hard to do yourself. Tks in advance.
    JoeR
  • crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    buy the ome one. it fits right and very little air noise. I have 2 honda bike racks on my roof rack and the air noise is small.
  • bfeather302bfeather302 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased a car top carrier to mount on the Honda roof rack? Does Honda make one for the 2002 CR-V? (only seen bike rack and ski rack for CR-V) If I were to buy the Thule cross rails that I have seen several posts on, is there a car top carrier that will fit? Are there any other racks that would fit?
  • kltmsgkltmsg Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy a CRV EX 2002, but I noticed there are two types in the market, one is assemblied in England (with VIN as SHSR788-----)while the other is done in Japan (with VIN as J-).

I really want to get the model assembled in Japan,
    but today a dealer gave me a price at 22,160$ for the one assembled in England, He is very eager to sell it to me because he gave me discount
    250$ right at beginning, then added to 500$, in the end up to 600$. Though the milage of that car is only 37miles, but I am still not sure if that car is OK or not. He agreed I can choose other crv ex, but All of them are from England

Could you guys give me some suggestions?
    is the price reseanable?
    If yes for CRV EX, how about the model from England? I always thought the model from Japan is the best, maybe that is the more than enough concern?

Thanks a lot1
  • hanginthere21hanginthere21 Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my Black 02 EX on Friday. I’m concerned about judging distances when I’m backing into tight parking spaces. Has anyone had actual experience with devices intended to help with this such as 1) Ultrasonic Backup Systems, 2) Rear Ground Mirrors, or 3) Video Rearview Observation Systems?

I don’t want to waste money on gadgets that don’t work. Does anyone have personal testimonials about something that does work? Any tips or practical advice would be welcome.
  • soccermum02soccermum02 Member Posts: 47
    We bought a Blue 02 LX on 31 July. Is there a website that sells after-market accessories to Canadians? "Handa-accessories" doesn't mail out of the continental U.S. We are looking for a roof rack, front mud flaps, and plastic cargo tray. Thanks.

To #71: All the CR-V's that we looked at in Canada were made in Japan, perhaps it is country specific.
  • eastsideeastside Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found a good bug deflector? I ordered the hitch and mud flaps. Easy to install. Thanks.
  • pichapie1pichapie1 Member Posts: 6
    They have the best looking bug deflector I've seen.
  • lovecraftlovecraft Member Posts: 3
    Thanks CRV 139.

Ordered, received, and installed a genuine Honda base roof rack and front splash guards from Handa Accessories.com all in 4 days time. Was very pleased with the experience. No added wind noise as far as I can tell. Would love to add other goodies but the CRV EX come with so much standard there isn't really a whole lot else to add. I will probably have a trailer hitch added later but feel that I'd rather have someone with experience do it.
  • pwsharpepwsharpe Member Posts: 4
    I like my 02' CR-V, but wish that the front seats could go back further. If no one is sitting in the rear seats, why not allow them to rack farther back? Has anyone tried to modify their 02' CR-V for additional leg room?

Thanks
  • voltairebvoltaireb Member Posts: 5
    I have verified that there is a 3rd row seat for the 2nd generation CRV.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_31/b3794156.htm

I was also informed that this seat would fit the U.S. models:

http://www.kotse.com/index1.html ;however, does anyone know if there is one strictly for U.S. markets?
  • bizunasbizunas Member Posts: 1
    Anyone aware of a Honda or aftermarket dead pedal for the 2002 CR-V? It sure needs one........
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Like Soccermom02 I'd like to find a source for CR-V accessories in Canada. The local dealer quoted around $450.00 CDN for the roof rack cross bars.(something that really should come with the car---Who sells a car with 1/2 a roof rack???)HandA lists them for $178US(approx.$285.00 CDN) but won't ship out of the US. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Has anyone gone to 16 inch wheels/215-60-16 tires? Checking on tirerack.com, they would have the same diameter as the stock setup. I have a 2002 CR-V, but would be interested in hearing about any older ones as well, as the tire/wheel size is the same.
    Thanks

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shulalashulala Member Posts: 1
    hi friends,

just bought a sweet used 97. would love to get the handa keyless entry, but understand it is for an LX model. i have no idea if mine is an LX or not. has AC and snazzy alloy wheels and power windows and locks, but gosh, i'm clueless as to model. will these remotes work?

thanks,

shu...
    The remotes should work fine with your '97; feel free to confirm this with handa-accessories.com if you're still unsure.

Congratulations on your recent purchase!
  • alex2002alex2002 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CR-V with factory installed roof rack and would like to buy a rooftop cargo box (for skis and ski equipment for 4-5 people) - does anyone have any experience as far as recommended products and the potential impact on driving performance and safety ?
    I know that the roof rack lists 75 lb. as the max capacity so I am looking for a light model.
    Thanks,
    Alex
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Shulala - If I recall correctly, 97 models had no designation. There was only one choice. You're not clueless. =) In 98, Honda introduced the EX model and started calling the base model the LX.

Slugline is correct about the remotes. Just purchase a set of key fobs.
    Well, there were no official trim designations that year, but there was a factory-installed ABS option package that included alloy wheels. When Honda introduced LX and EX trim levels the next year, the big-ticket items on the EX were ABS and alloy wheels. So I think it was mostly a change in nomenclature. They didn't even bother to stamp any new badging on the back.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Badges or stickers would have made the EX much faster, forcing an artificial drop in the 97's resale value. =)
  • slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    Hello CRVers,

Has anyone installed a cold air intake to the 02 CRV? If so, did you have an improvement?

Would this void any part of the warranty?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Just found some imported parts for the CR-V at www.collegehillshonda.com., like the rear parking mirror, roof spoiler and front arm rest. They ordered them from Australia. If I can read Japanese (www.honda.co.jp), there are more great stuff for CR-V like cold beverage bin in between the CD player and climate control, side mirror on the side fender, etc.
  • wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    I just received the items I ordered from HandA for my new LX. One item was the keyless entry "FOB". Although there are instructions on how to program it.....There is no information on what to do with what I suspect is the "transmitter." Help!
    Look back on the HandA site at the listing for the keyless entry. There are links to installation instructions; you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvelect02.html

• wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    Unfortunately, I am a webtv user and as it is not a computer,there is no adobe acrobat ability.
  • soccermum02soccermum02 Member Posts: 47
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. Someone told me that Hondacuraworld.com will ship to Canada. I haven't used them yet, so can't verify. Weathertech.com is based in Ontario and makes all-weath mats and cargo trays for the V. They look nice to me and I'll probably be giving them a try.
  • reiner4reiner4 Member Posts: 24
    Per your request looking for anyone upgrading to 16 inch wheels/215-60-16 tires:

I'm running my '99 EX with Konig Diva 16x7 wheels and Michelin Symmetry 215x60x16 tires (including the spare). It's a drastic improvement over the stock setup, with the stance of the vehicle feeling more nimble and sure. I have not experienced any impairment, but with the nicer wheels I'm less likely to do any more offroading.

To top it off, I have a Neuspeed Front Tower Bar which holds the front down nicely when cornering, eliminating a lot of the body roll.

3 years and 60K miles later this vehicle still rocks - best I've ever bought !! Hope that helps... Rich
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Thanks for the info. A few more questions.
    Have you run this setup in the snow? Any traction issues? Also, have you noticed any deterioration in gas mileage? Any particular reason on tire choice, and what do you think of them?
    I really appreciate your response, as that is pretty much the setup I am considering. Except I'm looking at Honda Pilot wheels, which have identical offset/bolt pattern, and are 16 x 6.5

I also think I might go with a little more aggressive H-speed rated tire, like the Bridgestone Turanza. Real world advice is appreciated.. thanks a lot

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• reiner4reiner4 Member Posts: 24
    In response to your questions....

Have you run this setup in the snow?
    * I've only had this setup for several months now and living in the SF Bay Area has not provided for any snow tests to date.

Any traction issues?
    * I think it has made for better traction - if anything. Like I mentioned previously, the vehicle feels like it has a more nimble yet 'sure' footing.

......have you noticed any deterioration in gas mileage?
    * None to mention. I still average between 22 and 24 mpg, depending on my driving ! 8-)

Any particular reason on tire choice, and what do you think of them?
    * I have the Michelin Symmtry's on my '02 Odyssey EXL-RES and really liked 'em. My original plan was to put the Odyssey's wheels / tires on my 'V', and upgrade the same for the Ody. Needless to say, the wife vetoed my tinkering with her brand new vehicle! My dream is still to upgrade the Ody to 17" or 18" wheels......dream on....

I had considered going up to 17" or 18" wheels on the 'V', but as my daily driver (+/- 85 miles round trip to/from work), I did not want to spare any comfort....especially just for looks. The 16" setup has proven to be very functional, with some flair.

Also, look into the Neuspeed Front Tower Bar for +/- $100 - it makes a nice difference in taking offramps and other turns that are conducive to body roll.
    Hope that helps and good luck !!
  • bfwallsbfwalls Member Posts: 3
    I am buying a 2003 CRV EX and am trying to decide whether to get the factory/dealer installed roof rack or go with a Thule rack. I will primarily be using it for snowboards, bikes, basket. (Any thoughts on weight limits, cost, use with moonroof windshield)

Also, If I do get the Thule rack, should I get the factory racks installed?

Any additional thoughts?
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    Has anyone had any luck locating brush guards, rear bumper guards, light cluster covers, etc. for the 02-03 CRV? I have checked many, many sites for warner, waag, smittybilt, tjm, etc. and they all carry products for the first gen V but not the current model. So far I have only found a safari bar for the V (made by Westin for $106 in black). I want a full front brush guard as well as the back and lights, but cannot find anything. Does anyone know of a place to find them, or if the guards et al from the first gen. model will work on the current model? Worst case scenario is that I make my own.
  • chewymanchewyman Member Posts: 20
    I downloaded the PDF file but you need the anti-theft code for the radio. Where do I get these codes? My salesman said they must program this at the dealer and I can't do this. He claims it requires a skilled techie. Is this accurate?
  • akitakittyakitakitty Member Posts: 2
    hey ya'll!

has anybody had any experiences with extended warranties? I am thinking about the 7yr./100,000 that covers everything with no deductible. i tend to hang on to my "rides" and because i'm female and my hubby travels (all the time) and is never home and i take more than my share of vacations in my vehicle i feel it may be worth the $1200 one time charge.if you should have a breakdown, it'll even pay for car rental for 3 days, $100/day for motel/hotel and eats for 4 days, free towing and they will bring gas and fix flats. i would appreciate any/all feedback. thanks all!
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I had an extended warranty on my 00AccordEXV6 with WarrantyDirect. It was a 0 deductable, 6 year, 100k miles and covered everything that wasn't a consumable e.g. gas, oil, wiper blades, etc. The original price was around 1100 but I got it for 900 (on the spot discount?). Look around, because I think you can find a better deal than 1200. yeah, 900 buchs is still a lot of money, but piece of mind is priceless.
  • akitakittyakitakitty Member Posts: 2
    i had checked a few web sites and the prices were all within a few dollars of each other. i quess it's always good to shop around. thanks for the advice.

continuing to shop,
    a.k.