Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    You got a great deal there, congratulations. To clarify two items on your list: There is no standard doc fee in CA (or anywhere for that matter), its an add-on intended to separate you from your $80. I've seen much higher elsewhere, so this isn't too bad. I refuse to ever pay it since its a made up fee. Also, you can save the $29 'transfer charge' by registering the car at the DMV yourself. For most people spending $40k on a car, not having to stand in line at a DMV is totally worth the $29.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    There is no fee in any documentation fee. The word fee is intended by dealers to lend some level of false legality to the documentation fee. Dealers chose the word fee very carefully. They could have chosen charge or cost. But they know well customers would balk at an extra charge or cost but many will simply pay a fee without question.

All documentation fees are intended solely to increase the dealer's profit. By removing that profit from the selling price of a vehicle, dealers hope to deceive some buyers into believing they bought the vehicle for a lower price.

Some states allow dealers to charge whatever they want, look into the fees in Florida. There the fees are hundreds of dollars.

The truth is if all buyers simply said NO dealers would abandon this charade. Of course, dealers would simply develop some other technique to separate money from their customers. If anything, dealers are always creative when it comes to money.
  • tmorrelltmorrell Member Posts: 2
    Is this a decent offer?

MSRP: $37,655
    Dealer Options: $2493 (Splash guards, nitrogen filled tires, wheel locks, cargo tray, moon roof visor, Tint, and pin stripe)
    Total w/Options: $40,148
    Discount: $9012
    Price: $31,136
    Honda Flex Cash: $750
    Tax: $934.08
    Title: $117.95
    Doc Fee: $549

$31987.03 OTD
  • merryrdmerryrd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your explaination. I purchased 2 new cars (1 subaru, 1 toyota) in CA before and saw the dealers charged the same $80 doc fee, so I thought it is standard in CA intuitively. Sorry for my misleading info.
  • hondafan0422hondafan0422 Member Posts: 1
    My Touring Elite smoky topaz. Out the door price in VA which has 3% state tax and now going up to 4 % after July 1st.

39,600 out the door at Pohanka Honda,Fredericksburg, VA ( 60 miles from my home in NOrthern VA).
    touring elite with cargo net, cargo tray, splash guard set, Cross Bars roof rails, wheel lock and all season weather mats.

Some dealers in northern va except Fairfax Honda are either arrogant or expensive.
    NEVER go to Dulles Honda by auto nation.
    bill page honda,Falls Church is a BIG SCAM. I created my ODY elite with options at HONDA site and the sales person Felix responded to that config and confirmed the price and I got email from this guy confirming 3 times. I went to Falls Church from Ashburn and they said that price did not include options and added 2000 dollars to agreed price in emAil. The sales manager said that his sales person made a mistake and also coached me that I might have also made mistakes in my employment and asked me to consider buying at 2500 dollars more price.
    I just walked away and will lodge complaint against them to Honda as I have email confirmation.

People in NOVA, pls go to Pohanka Honda or to some extent Fairfax Honda or criswell Honda in Germantown , MD.

I liked Pohanka the best and they gave good trade in for my 2005 Acura.
    Ask for Carlo R in Pohanka Honda.

Pohanka Honda were professional and courteous and worth the drive from Asburn, VA.
  • kingmeatkingmeat Member Posts: 10
    Thus is the best price I have seen on a ex-l. $28820 including dealer fee before tax and license is very good.
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    Purchased a new Odyssey Touring on 6/28 for $34.0K. Started with quotes from USAA from 3 dealers (which were high, $35.8K was the lowest), then requested 3 more quotes (2 through Edmunds and 1 directly from the dealers website).

Prices started falling via email with pretty much every dealer saying they could BEAT the other dealers price when I reached $34,360. There was one catch, in most cases that meant going to the dealership to hammer out the rest of the savings. Wasn't interested in that...was willing to pay $34,360 and simply not have to negotiate any further.

Did make one courtesy call to one of the dealerships who really was extraordinarily courteous and professional (Jeff Wyler Honda Colerain) informing them I was purchasing from someone else, but appreciated all their help. I really liked they're internet sales team (Tom, Conrad, & Rich), so felt it necessary to share how positive the experience was. Well....they didn't want to let sale get away, so they got approval for $34,000 and threw in mud gards ($199) in that price too (about $560 less). Said yes, then when confirming the vehicle would be ready for delivery that afternoon determined it had sold the day prior. So they began actively searching for the same vehicle (Diamond White Pearl/Truffle) at one of their sister dealerships. In the meantime, my local dealer calls and I explain what's going on. He says congrats, hangs up....5 minutes later calls back and offers me essentially the same deal as Wyler (and confirms he has the Diamond White Pearl/Truffle on his lot right now). So I agree, and call back Wyler immediately to call off the search.

Picked it up that afternoon from Joe Morgan Honda (yes the famous baseball player and ESPN announcer).

MSRP: $42,360
    Accessories: $214 (all-weather mats)
    Price Paid: $34,000 (includes $750 Flex Cash)

Total Discount: -$8,574 (20.1%)
    Tax: $2187.50
    Title/License: $28
    Doc Fee: $250

Total OTD: $36,466
  • badbilly27badbilly27 Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 Honda Odyessy has seen it's day and time to get a new one. I see all the great deals on the 2013 Odyessy's but prefer to go for the 2014 models that just hit the dealerships. I'm looking at either the EX-L (w/navigation) or the Touring. A friend told me for the extra money just buy the 2014 Touring - but I'm not seeing the big difference (I'm also not a car person and he is). Any advice?

Also, anyone have advice on what price to expect on a 2014 EX-L (w/Nav) or 2014 Touring? Am I going to be stuck paying sticker price because most are still blowing out 2013 models? I'm in Chicago area.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2013
    Badbilly

Your friend is correct buy the 2014 model. The reason is you have a 2014 model yr that will be driven for 5 months in 2013. if you decide to sell this vehicle in 2015 or 2016 you have already been driven it 1year a a half or more. Thats where you would recoup your money. Opposed to someone buying a 2013 model.

On jan 1, 2104 that 2013 model is now considered a 1 year old vehicle and just depreciated $2k. See my point. That extra 1k your paying for a 2014 is now paying dividends . You have the benefit of driven a 2014 model for 17 months til 2015 when that model is 1 yr old..

The flip side to this scenario is a 2013 model you could buy for 1000 below dealers invoice plus any incentives and rebates. The 2014 model your best price may be buying at dealers invoice and not below.

When you could afford to buy a 40k plus vehicle 1k to 1500 is not a big deal worked into financing over 5 or 7 years.

Hope you see my points buying that 2014 is a no brainer!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    hi,
    regarding pricing on 2014's, i would expect them to stay close to 2013 levels. i doubt, being the new model year, that you'll find a killer deal, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt shoot for one. i think looking at the deals for 2013's would give you a benchmark. for a 2013 touring, read back in the thread and get a feel for what people are paying for a '13 touring and a '13 exl w/ nav.

regarding the upgrade from exl w/nav to touring, what swayed me was that the touring is the only model where you can get both nav and rear dvd. i considered many times over getting an exl w nav or an exl w/. rear dvd only,to save some $$. in the end i got a used '11 touring because it had both. i dont regret it. having the rear dvd and nav built in is such a great convenience. my girls are 4 and 2 so just having one screen is nice and having the ability to control the dvd up front is great. perhaps if your kids are older, you would take the money you save from not having a rear dvd and just buy your kids ipads, or a laptop with it's own dvd player. my girls arent old enough for that to work.

the touring also comes with some other small upgrades like bigger wheels, turn signals on your side mirrors, and a bunch of proximity sensors. you can compare online.

g'luck.
  • skmgaskmga Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased the 2014 odyssey touring in pearl white with truffle interior. We would have waited if we could for price estimates on Usaa and truecar but we needed a car before that would happen. We totaled our 2009 odyssey almost 3 weeks ago. The car did everything it should, airbags deployed and us and our 4 children were unharmed after being tboned. The other guy didn't fair as well. So we decided to go with Odyssey again.
    When I saw the 2014 was being released I decided to wait and see if I could compare in person. On July 2nd, my local dealer called and they had the exact one we wanted. We had them pull a 3013 touring elite in same color and put the beside eachother to compare. The 2014 won out on exterior and by far on interior plus new safety features. We know we would be paying more but figured the cost would be recouped down the road have all the technology updates and being a year newer.
    We got prices all over GA. The lowest was south ga dealer who came in base price 39,960. Our local dealer said best the could do was 44, 790 out the door. Many in atlanta wouldn't budge from Msrp. I had one offer 1500 off msrp, the other 2100 off. The only touring in the coloring we wanted in the entire state was at my local dealer. Others had some coming but would be most likely 3-4 weeks. To order would be 90 days.
    My dad lives in Johnson city, TN and he went to his local dealer. They had the one we want on the lot. After very little talk they came in at 38, 960...$150 below invoice. Here is what we paid
    For our 2014 odyssey touring in pearl white, truffle interior:
    Base: $38,960
    Dealer fees: $489
    Ga tax, title, fees: $2,741.55
    Total on the road: $42,190.55

I know if we weren't in a crunch to get one so quick we may have done better but I was happy with the below invoice. Kenneth at Johnson City Honda was wonderful to work with, it was easiest buying experience. How do you think I did deal wise so close to release date? Hopefully this info will help someone who needs a 2014 before pricing on truecar available.
  • jeffcar1jeffcar1 Member Posts: 2
    That's a good price! I am at northern California, most dealers at my area even do not have 2014 model currently. how do you know who have the new model? just call each one of them?
  • ckaught78ckaught78 Member Posts: 2
    I would disagree a little, while your logic makes sense it fails to take into account the mileage aspect. If I buy both a 2013 and 2014 today and then put 12,000 miles on them over the next year and try to sell, the 2013 would be considered low miles when trying to sell whereas the 2014 would be considered high mileage for a new car and thus would affect the value. While the 2014 may still be worth a little more, it probably wouldn't be by that much.
  • ckaught78ckaught78 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and just picked up a Touring Elite last evening.

MSRP was $44,855.
    We settled on $37,300.

I may have been able to squeeze out a little more, but I feel this was a pretty good deal.
    edited July 2013
    Ckaught78
    just wanted to check Edmunds used car pricing before i responded to your mileage question.

A 1 yr old 2011 touring elite w/ 12 k miles
    A 1 yr old 2012 touring elite w/ 12 miles

2011....Trade in 31,818...Private party..33,442..Dealer retail..34,874

2012...Trade in 35,238...private party..37,223..Dealer retail..38,425

Do you still think saving that extra 1k to buy a 2013 oppose to getting the avail 2014 is more beneficial financially. I certainly do not and that was my buying point. If your in the same boat its a no brainer.

The mileage factor on new vehicles today are priced alot different than years ago. Cars and Trucks are made so much better today. With proper maint/ 200k is no problem for todays engines.

• marypat1marypat1 Member Posts: 1
    I am also in market for an LX in California. Local dealer offers $25,500 base price (taking Honda financing) this week. Earlier in June I did receive an offer from an outlying dealership for base price $24586. I initiated that contact through TrueCar.com.
    brian - thanks for the feedback. We've decided to definitely stick with a 2014 model car. EX-L is what it looks like we decided on.

To Thunder's point - touring makes sense if you really want the DVD player and other small nice to have's like the turn signal indicator and blind spot. We like the turn signal and proximity sensors but not enough for $4500 premium. My kids are 11 and 12 so ipad will do just fine.

So far Truecar does not support 2014 new Odyessy info. Contacted 4 dealers via email locally on a EX-L w/nav and a little bit of chaos ensued. Two responded immediately with deals on 2013. In those two dealerships I was contacted by no less than two people in email and phone (internet sales and regular sales). Really want to sell those 2013 models. After clarifying no interest in 2013, one responded 2014 not until end mid/late July. Which I thanked him and said contact me when you get them in not interested in 2013 at all. To which he responded, oops I was wrong they are en route to our showroom we can help price a 2014. LOL. Nothing yet from him or the other sales guy at that dealership.

So far, confusion on 2014 is what I see here in Chicago area. Only one of 4 dealerships replied with info I was after and supplied quote. But quoted sticker price for my EL-X with Nav. Wanted me to come in to talk, offered phone as well, but really wanted me to come in. When I asked, is it in stock now - the one I want - so I can buy today, got a reply nope only Topaz in color. :( Stock still trickling in.

My point - 2013 are on a fire sale and sales not too eager to talk about 2014 until old stock sold. Hoping Monday more info trickles in on my inquiries.
    You could see from my numbers in above post your making the right choice
    buying a 2014

Buy this vehicle at the end of the month thats where your best deal will lie. Searching dealers websites and there inventory first for your model . It makes it easier to buy if dealer has your color and model on his lot.

• odyjbpodyjbp Member Posts: 3
    I learned a lot from the posts in this forum. Here I share mine. Bought a 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Silver/gray interior in Birmingham area today. The followings are the options and prices

In the sticker:

MSRP $36055

Mud Guards $198
    Wheel Locks $109
    BodySide Molding $308
    Pin strip $79
    Paint Sealant $178

Total $36927

We paid:

Vehicle $30106.76
    Doc fee $499
    Sale tax (AL) $1071.2

Total (OTD) $31676.96

I negotiated a price via email in two hours with the Internet Sales Manager. Didn’t call. Went to the dealership and the car was washed and ready. The paper work was done in two hours. Got 0.9% financing with 0 down. The dealership was very honest and efficient. Worth the 1 hour drive.
  • uma5uma5 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I live in Montgomery area and we were looking at EX-L w rear entertainment system. Can you tell me which dealership you bought it from and the contact # if you dont mind. Thanks in advance.

We got a quote for the same config today and got a 33500+ quote. Its only an hr drive for us , so if it saves couple of thousand that would be great.
    It is honda of Jasper, Ray is the internet manager. You request a quote in the car you like via their website. You can also fill the finance application on their web site. After 7-8-13, the price may be changed due to the change of honda incentives. Very nice honest guys there. Hope this helps.
    Having purchased four Honda vehicles in the DC area over the past five years, I have experience with most of the local Honda dealers. Most are quite good with Criswell, Sport, and Pohanka leading the pact. These dealers seem to have embraced the new internet buyer.

The two dealers I would personally avoid are College Park and Ourisman. My experience with them is they are old school with regard to the manner in which they view buyers. Far too many games to get to an acceptable deal, if such a deal is possible.
    This is probably a stupid ? but please humor me. If I get a better price from dealership A and buy my car there, but dealership B is closer to my house for warranty repair work is this frowned upon? I ask because last time (years ago) we brought our car to a different Honda dealership for warranty work service tech gave my wife crap that we bought from somewhere else but want work done there.

Appreciate insight. I'm negotiating on a new 2014 Odyssey EX-L and while my closer dealership is willing to match pricing, the other is doing all the work cutting me a deal. I think they deserve my business.

Thanks
    You can service your honda vehicle at any dealership. Dealerships want your business on the repair side. If vehicle is under the warranty they bill the honda corp. If your out of warranty you pay. They can not turn you away regardless where you purchased. Most of my new car purchases are from out of state or many miles from my home. My local dealer is where i bring them if needed.
    If your local dealership wont match or beat further dealership then give them your business.... They deserve to get the sale.

• indycharlieindycharlie Member Posts: 1
    This was my (and my wife's) first vehicle purchase without parents doing all the legwork for us. I'm probably a pushover when it comes to negotiating, but thanks to this message board, I certainly felt well informed. I emailed all the dealers in the Indianapolis area and went with the best deal (Penske)... no negotiating. Here are the details of my Odyssey EX-L, Black Exterior, Grey Interior purchase:

MSRP $36,055

We were quoted: $29,743
    We added Remote Start: $606 (includes installation)
    Doc. Fee: $140
    TTL: $2,156
    Recent Grad Honda down Payment: -$500
    Out the Door: $32,145

Thanks the info everyone. We feel pretty good about our deal.
  • luvdc4everluvdc4ever Member Posts: 6
    I am as close to as one can be for buying a new van, i.e. 2013 Odyssey EX-L from a dealer that has quoted me the best price via internet/email in the area. And I plan to call the salesperson on Monday to verify the deal and then drive over for signing. However, I just found out today that some dealers are starting to receive the 2014 EX-L few here and there.

So now, the question is whether I should avail the great OTD price on the 2013 or pursue the 2014? There are very few things updated in the 2014, and 2013 will work fine for us. But just generally, is it better to go with the 2014 or just stick with 2013 with better pricing.

And oh BTW, we do need the mini-van quickly. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
    One of the reasons to purchae a vehicle in the summer is to avail yourself of the lower prices on the current model. If you had bought the 2013 three months ago you would have paid much more and would not have given a thought to the 2014 models. If you get a killer deal on a 2013, great price and great financing, probably best to take the deal. You will have a new vehicle and your budget will thank you.

Of course, the trade value of the 2013 will be less than the 2014. As long as you keep the vehilce for five years or more, that difference is really not important. And of course, you paid less for the 2013.
    edited July 2013
    There was a post a couple up from here where they are buying a 2014 for $189 below invoice price. If you cant get 2k or more below invoice on a 2013 model buying that 2014 even at invoice price is the way to go. If money is tight wait til after the summer and you will get a good deal on a 2013. Read my last post on model comparison.
    As for me any time i could drive a new model year vehicle 5 months before that year starts is a no brainer... But again if money is a issue wait til after summer for that great deal on a 2013 model.

Agreed with both of you. However, the pricing on 2013 is really great, OTD is $1,100 below invoice listed on edmund.com. The bummer is that all Honda incentives are expiring today (7/8), and unsure if they will renew tomorrow. :)

Thanks.
    That's a great deal. I got a price for $30,106 for EX-L in Birmingham Alabama, our tax is 3.5%, plus $500 doc fee and the OTD price is $31,686. It is our second new car purchase. I think you did great for your first new car. Congrats! :)
  • airborn80airborn80 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have sales contact point???
  • bldvl89bldvl89 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Mild torture buying new car, particularly when wife decided she wanted EX-L in white with beige interior. And before I say anything else, Joel Pinnell from Willett Honda who I'd read about on this thread, completely rocks - and we didn't even get our car from him.

Originally tried to buy car from Curry Honda - they posted an internet ad for 2013 Odyssey EX-L for $29,083 if using 0.9% Honda financing or $29,833 otherwise. Told dealer we wanted to pay all cash, got a buyer's order from Curry with a supposed out-the-door price for $32,259 based on a car price of $30,108 - the $29,833 advertised cash price plus $275 body molding.

Showed up with check for $32,259 per buyer's order, but then Curry pulled rug out and said that the $32,259 was the price WITH Honda financing at 0.9%, i.e., they wanted $750 MORE from me to take the car home paying cash on their already advertised cash price (which in turn was also $750 more than the car price using Honda financing) which put the out-the-door price over $33,000.

Curry was slick - they couched the request for $750 more on the day of purchase (by now $1500 over their advertised internet price using Honda financing) as me not wanting that financing, even though they weren't giving me the $29,083 Honda financing price in trying to make me use their financing. The dealer had the audacity to claim I was trying to take advantage of him when I figured out what was going on. So I walked.

Spoke w/ Joel Pinnell at Willett next - over the phone, he gave me a $32,008 out-the-door price (rounded down to $32,000) based on a $29,105 car price. But unlike Curry, he didn't add on anything to increase the car price, and he was upfront that I would have to use Honda financing to get the $32,000 OTD price. I would have done this deal (pay the transaction fee to get the financing and then paid the note off in a month or two) - except he didn't have any 2013 EX-L's left in white with a beige interior which my wife really wanted. Bummer - but he's THE man to see if you're buying an Odyssey anywhere remotely close to Atlanta.

Ultimately went through Nalley Honda in Union City - paid $32,836 to get out the door and avoid being beholden to a car finance company (there must be an excess of cash floating around in this country when it costs more to save your pennies and pay cash than to go through the hassle of financing), and to take delivery of a white EX-L with a beige interior:

29,905 car price
    697 dealer fee
    2193 TAVT
    41 tag

Not the greatest deal and my pride got the best of me, but when someone gives me a firm number clearly based on an internet offered cash price, but then changes it the following morning to tack on more money while trying to accuse me of taking advantage of them (LOL - seriously????), you just don't do business with them.

Kudos to Aaron Kirschnick and Lauren Davis at Nalley Honda for getting everything finalized promptly and telling me exactly what amount on the check I would need to arrive with.
  • jstarfamjstarfam Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a good dealer in the Seattle/Tacoma area where you can get a good price. I've tried a few and they won't go below invoice.
    At 7:30PM last night (7/8), I said to myself "Let's get it over with". I wanted 2013 EX-L for $30,000 OTD who was at $31,180 OTD with color we wanted (Smoky Topaz/Truffle). She immediately confirmed $30,500 OTD final (price $28,213) no gimmicks no surprises. So I decided to go with it. I didn't get anything other than the all weather mats and cargo tray, though they charged me $300 for it. I passed on the ext warranty.

Someone else here mentioned that Sport, Criswell and Pohanka Honda dealers in Maryland are best for online. I completely agree. They all three responded immediately with exactly what I was looking for with best prices. Though I did get a very casual and pseudo rude salesperson from Criswell. I live in Northern Virginia and dealers here were $2000 off easy. And don't negotiate and are not tuned to internet buyers.

BTW, these 2013 EX-L's are coming with Continental tires which are rated well on tirerack.com, the EX-L NAV comes with Michelin Primacy. So don't let any dealer foul you on that. It's important to have the right tire to enjoy the ride.
  • lauter1lauter1 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for the 2013 EXL odyssey. From this forum, it seems the price is lower in the east coast and in the north cal, around $28xxx. But in the south cal, the price is at least 1k higher after checking with several dealers. Anyone from south cal has better experience recently on buying a EXL?
  • danz75danz75 Member Posts: 7
    I got my 13 EX-L (no RES/NAV) at Lynnwood Honda in June for under invoice. Look for the internet sales person.
  • jstarfamjstarfam Member Posts: 2
    thanks. I'll try them.
  • paperboycccpaperboyccc Member Posts: 93
    Honest question: why not take the 0.9% financing and then pay off the vehicle in full after a month? You pocket $750 and only pay $24 in interest.

I bet you could have financed a portion of it and paid even less in interest and then paid that portion off in full within a month.
  • airborn80airborn80 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Any one got good offer new 2013 honda odyssey EX-L w/o navi
    LA CA area???
  • k1200rk1200r Member Posts: 4
    Any good dealers in Chicago area who are willing to go invoice on 2014 Elite?
  • realiasticrealiastic Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for 2013 EXL
    What price should I pay tentatively?

If Anyone got a good deal in NJ recently please share the numbers and dealer info

I think 0.9% from Honda is no more available
  • eja4eja4 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can find the 2014 invoice prices?
    If its not on Edmunds yet try Kelly's blue book. kbb.com.

• stl717stl717 Member Posts: 2
    I've been following this thread lately and finally pulled the trigger tonight. We live in St Louis and got a 13 EXL w/ RES for $31k with .9% financing. They threw in the mats and pinstripe and a handful of other things. The inventory in this area is drying up very quickly. We were wanting a metallic or black but ended up with the silver because that's all anyone had left.

Good Luck to you all!
    I negotiated over the internet and got $30,500 OTD in Maryland (close to DC). If you know which van, color, options, etc. you want, then find out which Dealers in your area deal best over the internet and don't BS with such customers.
    I couldn't find them either. But just from observation, I experience that EX-L is normally $3,000 lower that MSRP, EX is a bit less lower, and Touring is closer to $3,500-$4,000 lower.
  • realiasticrealiastic Member Posts: 2
    I dont see the clause of $750 anymore with Honda Financing. Earlier they were offering $750 flex cash if you do financing from Honda
  • didureloaddidureload Member Posts: 9
    Is that 31K with taxes or without taxes?
  • stl717stl717 Member Posts: 2
    31K without TTL. Probably could have done a hair better but I was ready to get the stupid thing done and get out of there.