Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    Its brand new....just take it right back and say fix it. My guess is they will fix whatever the problem is, and its under warranty, so I wouldn't care what it is. I wouldn't extrapolate problems or worry about future reliability because of one problem. I would say its fairly typical for an electrical/wiring problem to show up immediately, or not at all. Thats not something that usually gets worse with age or mileage. Let the service department do their thing, then get back to enjoying your new car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Hondaman: You didn't engage the window lock out button, did you ?
  • Options
    hondaman25hondaman25 Member Posts: 9
    Just returned home from the Honda Dealer and my window problem was fixed in about 10 minutes. At assembly one of the connectors to the main window switch control was barely attached and making a connection only when the door was jarred while opening & closing it. Thank goodness it was a simple fix...I'm happy now and thanks for the 2 responses here.
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Was your V built in England or Japan, I believe S in England and J japan on the Vin
  • Options
    hondaman25hondaman25 Member Posts: 9
    My Crv was built in Japan
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anyone know where the antifreeze drain bolt is located on the cylinder block? Also, is it really necessary to remove this? Isn't just draining the radiator sufficient?
  • Options
    msantos4msantos4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my CRV EX in June and I currently have 7300 mi. Last week on my way to work I filled up the gas tank. When I pulled the nozzle, gasoline began gushing out of the tank. I put the nozzle back in and it stopped so I quickly put the cap back on. I thought it was a faulty gas nozzle, however today it happened again. I don't think the cap stops clicking. Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestions aside from taking it to the dealer?!
  • Options
    pitter1pitter1 Member Posts: 2
    The only thing I can't stand about the new CR-V is that the radiois so far away. my arm is killing me already. what can I do? can I install radio controls on the steering wheel? need a solution!
  • Options
    penpowerpenpower Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping for a 2003 CR-V model EX. I test drive a LX (the EX was not available at the dealership), the LX seems a bit noisy than I expect. Is the noise from tire or because poor insulation? Does the EX model run quieter?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Is the noise from tire or because poor insulation? Does the EX model run quieter?

The EX is not any quieter than the LX. With the original tires there is a lot of noise from some road surfaces. Switching to tires with a better rating for noise will eliminate a lot of the road noise. Try http://www.tirerack.com to compare various tire ratings.

• Options
    lizbearlizbear Member Posts: 1
    I am a new CRV owner. Is it normal to hear a whinning noise when in reverse? I'm afraid something is wrong with the transmission.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Is it like a "whirrrrrrr" noise when you are moving in reverse?
  • Options
    soonbaeksoonbaek Member Posts: 17
    While I don't know about CR-V, I do know that the Honda makes high-pitch whinning noise in reverse. Very distinct Honda noise.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    That's why I asked. My protege does the same thing in reverse...whrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Options
    andriesandries Member Posts: 37
    These burnt valves I've been reading about, are these cars past there warranty? If not then I would suggest that we have dealer problems. Just remember-- WARRANTY IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE DEALER. In other words if you have a good dealer than you have good warranty. In my business I deal with all types of vehicles, machinery, and equipment. Believe me that little saying is 100% true, no ands, if, ors, or butts !!!
  • Options
    ukrbykukrbyk Member Posts: 16
    Is MPG getting any better with engine broken in? My LX 4WD has 2000 miles and barely gets to 22 (250 miles/11.78 gallons) mpg on exclusively cruise control highway drive. Funny, but it really feels doing better around town. Of course, our friends at Honda put a vague 22 to 30 mpg highway mpg on their sticker, adding "depending on driving style". So what, let's drive 45 mph on highway and get fined for dragging? Why don't we wake up Honda with a small lawsuit for false advertising? Of course, they will insist that it's only "estimated" mpg, and for 86 octane (not available in USA), etc., etc.
    Besides, can not not to agree with andrias - any warrenty ain't worse a penny if you do not have honest people to deal with that stand behind it. I am coming to more and more firm conclusion - drive it for 25000 miles and swap for a new one! I have overheard some repair costs at the dealership - boy, do I not want to get involved with those!
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    I'm running a 2002 CRV EX with 11K miles. Since I raised the tire pressure to 35psi I havent gotten less than 22 in the city. On a recent 3K trip coming back from San Antonio 80mph indicated and a strong crosswind I got 22mpg, next tank I slowed to 70mph indicated and got 27.5 mpg with same crosswind. After hitting I25 and heading north over raton pass indicating 75mph all the way to Denver I got 34.3mpg, tires at 36psi(dueler H/T). This thing is a brick and really is affected by drag and wind. Obviously I had a tail wind to Denver. I also run with a K&N filter.
  • Options
    reed4reed4 Member Posts: 56
    ukrbyk,

We have an 02 CR-V EX 4WD Auto with 1380 miles. Here is the mileage on the three most recent tanks I have monitored:

22.4 mpg 70% city and 30% highway

23.6 mpg 80% city and 20% highway

23.2 mpg 80% city and 20% highway

Using 87 octane gas and driving moderately. All three tankfulls were from different gas stations. Currently running the tires at 28psi and will go to 35psi for the road trip.

During the holidays we will be driving from Austin to Flagstaff to Los Angeles and back. I plan on monitoring mileage and performance closely on the trip and will post my MPG's as I have access to the internet.

Reed
  • Options
    gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I just made a drive from atlanta to vermont, 1100+ miles, and towing a trailer. i managed to get 20 mpg from every tank. I was hauling a Uhaul 5'x8' trailer, fully loaded to Honda limits.i was able to maintain 60-65 mph even on steep hills. the grade logic transmission never downshifted/upshifted/downshifted again. it performed flawlessly. and vermont was kind enough to welcome me with a snow storm. yay.
  • Options
    lawsuitlawsuit Member Posts: 1
    Some CR-Vs have had burnt valves within the warranty period, others were
    within 3 years but had exceeded 36,000 miles.

The bottom line is that even 2001 CR-Vs are having major engine failures requiring
    valve jobs.

Would you have bought a CR-V if the Honda salesman told you that the engine might require a valve job and a new cylinder head next year?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Ukrbyk - You do know that the EPA is the group that determines the mileage range on a car's sticker, right? FWIW, my personal mileage averages slightly over 25 mpg.

I've 70,000 miles on my 99 CR-V and I'm starting to hear a little valve chatter. (Note: there could be many different reasons for the sound.) I'm going to have it looked at soon. I'll report the results.
  • Options
    suzettemonsuzettemon Member Posts: 2
    The pieces of the bracket to hold the front license plate came in a plastic bag with no instructions on how to install it. Where can I find instructions for this? No, it's not in the owner's manual.
  • Options
    bandit2002bandit2002 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 CR-V EX. At 26 miles, it stalled. The dealer claims can't determine why this happened. Also on several occasions it will not crank on the first key turn. Again, the dealer doesn't see anything wrong per the on-board computer-so there is "nothing to fix".
    I am now at 3700 miles, haven't stalled again and the cranking issue hasn't happened in the last 1k miles.
    Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
  • Options
    The Honda CR-V Parts Manual has an exploded diagram of the license plate holder and bracket (you do have the "V" kinda shaped piece, right?) and how it fits.

Here's an example, although the picture is bad (care of Majestic Honda Parts). I'll try to post a better copy from my parts manual this weekend. I'm on the road this week and it isn't with me.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S100_B46.gif

:)

• Options
    suzettemonsuzettemon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the diagram, but I can't read it. Also, I have a 2002 CRV. I think the front bumper looks different from your diagram, and I have 2 pieces to the 'V' part I think.
  • Options
    Okay, how about this image for the 2002 CR-V? Unfortunately I don't have the parts manual for that year so I can't post a better image.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S9A01_B46.gif

• Options
    sureshtxsureshtx Member Posts: 1
    After I park my CRV and turn off the engine I can hear some cracking noise that lasts about 10 minutes or so from the exhaust pump area. I checked with my dealer and he says that noise is from the engine (cooling down process) and all CRVs do that. I find this real hard to believe. Have any one of you experienced this?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Yes, you will often hear "pinging" noises as the metal cools down and contracts. It's perfectly normal with most any car.
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    ...are the culprit. They are made from light guage metal and not only do "all CR-Vs do this", but virtually ALL VEHICLES use pretty much the same type shield.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed itwith other vehicles before.

Certain vehicles are more noticable, and I do think that NEW vehicles are a bit louder (no road crud to muffle the noise) but more than likely it that you, as new owner, are just more 'atuned' to the sounds.
    :)

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ukrbykukrbyk Member Posts: 16
    I am driving my 02 CRV for about 6 to 8 hundred miles a week and 98% time alone. Fun car to drive. As workdays I have to drive in a small town in AL, where taxes are high but roads crappy, I found that CRV with one person "boats". I mean - it kinda has a tendency to behave like a boat on waves, with a noticable rear bounce. Call it rear end synusoidal vertical diplacement, or whatever, but you know what I mean. I figured that any car is designed for a median load, which makes struts/springs and swaybars work better. Obviously, my 275 Lb is not enough. So I started experimenting and found that "boating" is almost gone with 2x50 Lb bags of sand in drywell and 1x 50 Lb bag underneath(from behind) the passanger seat with it moved almost all the way back. I can tell that car has even load and grip on the road, topheaviness feel disappeared, ride became very comfortable. Can't weight to get back to our highways in TN! Good for one 275 pound dude only :)
    While ago I posted a message about Dualler H/T tires - that they had to be cross-rotated to get rid of a significant pull to the right. After that car was pulling moderately to the left. Untill I spent $2 in AutoZone, bought a tire gauge, spent extra 50 cents at a gas station and EQUALIZED all tires pressure at 3.0 psi (2.6 recommended for low speed highway ride, 3.6 for speeds acceeding 100 mph). Geez, did that change the way it rides! No pull whatsoever, acceleration is better, mpg went up! I tried 3.6 - couldn't stand it, it felt like car is falling apart even with 200 lb ballast.
  • Options
    chuckk1chuckk1 Member Posts: 13
    on the engine of my 01 CRV, at 17k miles, is the first time I have found a stuck pcv valve in all my years of replacing them, on my personal vehicles, as a routine tune up and maintenance item. When I was a young fella, in training to be a mechanic back in the '70's, was told by a master chevy engine mechanic that a pcv valve that won't rattle when you shake it means it's stuck, and can contribute towards engine wear, et., like burnt valves. I wonder if this is correct information, however.
  • Options
    401356401356 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2003 Crv - Ex with leather interior. I love the vehicle, but, being a clean car freak, I'm a little peeved by the tacky rubber door handles that clearly show where every hand/finger print is or where my knee was leaning against it. I tried some Armour All, but it didn't do much. Has anyone tried something that might fix this minor problem.
    Also, does anyone know of anyone making fender flare kits for 2002-03 CRVs? Honda offers the body cladding/flare kit, but not just a wheel well flare kit.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    I believe I told you where the pcv valve was on the 2000 Accord in the periodic maint. board. Please reciprocate and tell me where the valve is on the '02 CRV? Thanks
  • Options
    I have an '01 CRV, and the pcv valve is right out in plain view, mid-engine, on the back side. I replaced it with no problem. I don't know if it's different on the '02, though.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Thanks for your quick response. I will look again it was cold and getting dark so I may have missed it. "Happy New Year"
  • Options
    rtrujillortrujillo Member Posts: 1
    I am a owner of a 2000 CR-V. I am at only 50000 miles and I had a valve come loose. When I had it tightened the machanic said the manual said to do it at 60000 miles. He said it was a issue that he has seen several times. He suggested to have the valves checked at 35000. The reason it is an issue is that it can lead to a burnt valve which is big cash.

just a heads up.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I just check recall history from MSN Auto... There are two recall for CR-V.... But I never got notice from Honda... Is there anyone know why? Thanks for any answer.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    What model year? You can also check for recalls and TSBs here on Edmunds.

Edmunds.com Ownership

• Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Hmmmm, I just checked my '99 CRV and my '01 Accord and never got the recall notices either.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I got these information from MSN auto -my car
    My car is 1999 CR-V

Recall Alert
    Owner Notification Date: 5/15/2002
    Component Description:ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 02V120000

-------------

Recall Alert
    Owner Notification Date: 11/4/1999
    Component Description:ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:HARNESS:UNDER DASH
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 99V282000
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Honda has an ownership site at www.ahm-ownerlink.com. Enter your VIN, and you can find out about any applicable recalls for *your* vehicle.
  • Options
    joelcaljoelcal Member Posts: 3
    I wondered if someone could enlighten me! My wife is on the verge of buying a 2003 CR-V LX. We drove the car yesterday for about 15 minutes. When we returned to the dealer, a very smelly smoke kept coming out of the exhaust after the car was turned off. (Smelled up the whole area around the car) The salesman said it was just because it was new, and would go away. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your answers! Joelcal
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Seals and gaskets getting used to the heat. It goes away.

You'll also notice new cars get a fog on their windows. It's from the fumes given off by all of the new plastics with in it's interior.
  • Options
    mlandau1mlandau1 Member Posts: 8
    At 60 MPH, my new CRV 2003 EX pulls to the right. The dealer said the alignment was in the normal range and rotated the tires. That made it pull to the right a little less so. Honda customer service hasn't been very helpful and the dealer said that is all he can do. Anyone have a similar CRV problem?
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I had the same problem and the dealer ended up by doing a 4 wheel aliment and balance, it took care of my problem.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    fig.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    O2 cr-v lx a/t. the other night my wife had the cr-v and she put the key and stated the car but, at the time to shift, the car would not go into gear," the shift level would not move" she had her feet in the break pedal like always. After five minutes of wandering and waiting out of the blue the car was normal,any input?
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    fig.
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Maybe this is the culprit??

NHTSA Safety Bulletin for 2002 HONDA CR-V
    Make: HONDA Model: CR-V Year: 2002
    Service Bulletin Number: 181201
    Date of Bulletin:
    Component: POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:SHAFT CHAIN:PROPELLOR:DRIVE
    Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING THE FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT PROTECTOR NOT GOING AROUND THE PROPELLER SHAFT. *SLC SUBJECT REGARDING HIGH TIRE PRESSURE CAUSING MORE NOISE. *SLC SOME VEHICLES MAY EMIT SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST DURING PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION. *SLC SUBJE
  • Options
    djg4312djg4312 Member Posts: 9
    I have not seen this reported by anyone and am curious if anyone else has had this problem and what might be going on. I have had my 03 EX English automatic for only 3 mos and 1800 miles. From day one I have noticed that everytime I come to a "rolling stop"-- that is, a near stop, say, at a stop sign, and then when I hit the gas, I feel the transmission slip or delay before engaging in first gear. If I come to a total, dead stop, it does not do this. I'm about to bring it in to the dealer, but was just curious. Very annoying.
  • Options
    '01 CRV SE Automatic owner here. I get a hard shift in certain situations, mostly during hard acceleration situations (duh!). I'm not concerned yet, as I have 18k miles on it, and still have some warranty left. Everything else has been running like a watch, a Swiss one, that is.
  • Options
    peacheypeachey Member Posts: 12
    My '02 CRV EX automatic 12,000k has always slightly hesitated if quickly accelerated from a complete or rolling stop. Is this what you mean by "hard shift" and "transmission slip or delay"?