Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    Also change the manual transmission fluid with Honda manual transaxle fluid. I'm not sure if the shift linkages are accessible for inspection. If the problem persists after changing clutch and transmission fluid, it will have to go to a shop for inspection. Don't be afraid to take it to other shops for another opinion.
  • defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    I'm not sure about the second generation CRV's, but the first generation upscale models have seats that can be made into beds that are not totally flat but more like a reclining lounge chair. You move the front seats all the way forward, take off the headrests and recline the front seats all the way then recline the rear seats all the way. Consult your owner's manual. You can also do this with the non upscale model (I get my EX and LX's mixed up) but the rear seat does not recline as far.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    (I see that a number of CRV forums have been deleted, including the one for CRV engine fires. Others have been marked "read only" and have fewer & older messages than the engine fires forum had. Interesting.)

I hadn't checked the NHTSA website recently - when I checked a few minutes ago, I found a report of another CR-V engine fire:

Date of Failure: December 28, 2005
    Complaint #10146343
    Summary: Driving down the on ramp onto I-95 my 2005 CRV SE engine caught on fire. The last time I serviced the car was last week for an oil change. Since then I have driven over 300 miles with no problems or warning signs. The car is not totaled and I am dealing with the insurance.

Didn't see any new reports for '04 CRVs, and there have been no complaints filed for '06 CRVs.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Some of the archives throughout the site have been temporarily garaged elsewhere while we upgrade. Once completed, they will be returned.
  • wijhwkwijhwk Member Posts: 7
    thank you for your reply.

the dealer told me that did not find anything wrong at the present time, but did not tell me about the road salt issue. we have not had any snow the past two weeks in madison (wi) so it is hard to determnine the road salt issue.
  • annie9annie9 Member Posts: 1
    Currently, I drive a sedan but am looking to buy an SUV. I'm partial to Hondas, and the CRV has relatively great mileage and enough room for what I need it for. However, reviews say that it's not good off-road and doesn't offer V6. My question is whether you, anyone who owns a CRV, think it has enough power and handling in snow and uphill. Thanks in advance.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    It handles very well in snow and on hills. I live in Indiana currently, but lived for three years in Rochester, NY with the CR-V. Never had a problem.

If you're talking about serious offroading, driving through deep mud or rock hopping over boulders, buy a Jeep. For rough roads, dirt roads, and gravel roads the CR-V is great.

If you're worried about power, or are considering towing a large or heavy trailer, you should be looking at the Pilot, Ridgeline, or Acura MDX.

JM2C
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I know what you are referring to. I have the same issue with mine and end up pouring the fluid in very slowly. Seems that the neck between the two tanks is small and creates an air pocket. If I try to fill too fast, the fluid bubbles over the top. Does any fluid make it in? The level can be checked directly by opening the driver's door and looking in the door jamb area where the tank is. Hope this helps!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Currently, I drive a sedan but am looking to buy an SUV. I'm partial to Hondas, and the CRV has relatively great mileage and enough room for what I need it for. However, reviews say that it's not good off-road and doesn't offer V6. My question is whether you, anyone who owns a CRV, think it has enough power and handling in snow and uphill. Thanks in advance.

Like Racoon, said, If you are going to be rock climbing and participating in Paris-Dakkar rally, then CR-V is not for you. It is quite capable for mild to moderate off roading, and has enough power to climb almost any hill, as long as there is traction.

If you are planning on doing more off-roading than this, then get a JEEP.
  • beep2beep2 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2006 CRV the end of Nov. Dealer didn't have 5 speed manual trans so he got one for me from out of state. I never got to test drive but because I've owned Honda's in the past I thought it was ok. Have an intermittent problem from day 1. About 75% of the time it won't shift into reverse. I have to play w/it, shifting through all the gears etc. Sometimes it takes 10-12 tries. Took it back to the dealer but it doesn't do it when it's there. They told me that I probably don't know how to drive "the newer manual trans". Suggested I put it in 4th then into reverse. Again, sometimes it'll work & other times zip. Took it back last week & they said to put it in 1st, let out on the clutch a bit as if I was going to drive & THEN shift into reverse. Tried it at home next day & wound up stuck in snowbank. When AAA came he tried putting in reverse & wouldn't go. Srv Dept insists the prob is with me. Spoke to dealership mgr & she also implied I'm not proficient at stick. Told her this is my 6th car of which 5 have been sticks.
    I'm at the point where I'm about ready to trade it! I can understand the dealers point since they can't replicate the problem but the way they're dismissing by assuming I don't know what I'm doing is annoying.
    Anyone else ever experience this? I'm at the point where I hate the car & it's only 6 wks old! :mad:

Thanks....
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I just bought a manual tranny 2006 EX at the end of Dec. I have noticed that it sometimes balks a little bit when I try to put it in reverse. Usually I just put in the clutch, rev the engine gently, and try it again. That usually does the trick. If not, then I will go ahead and move forward just a skosh to get the gears karma better aligned with the stars, and try it again. Its not as easy to get into reverse at the manual trans Audi A4 I traded in, but it does go into reverse.

I'm assuming that they have checked the man trans fluid level, and even though the car is brand new perhaps a change of fluid would help. If it is really cold where you live it might be that the gearbox and fluid is just too cold to allow the gears to mesh smoothly. Perhaps you should leave it overnight at the dealer and have them try to put it in reverse when it is cold-soaked.

I'm not surprised to hear that your tranny is balkey because mine is too, but not nearly as bad as yours sounds.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

TB
    Thanks TB. I'll try that tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll see if the dealer will keep overnight.
    And yes, it's very cold here...currently 10 F.
    No problem, I hope it works out.

10F. Ouch.

I've got to believe that the temp has something to do with it, but I'm not a mechanic and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either!

TB
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I also have an '06 CR-V EX 5M that I bought in November. I have had absolutely no trouble engaging reverse - not even once. It sounds to me as if you have plenty of experience with manual transmissions, which leads me to suspect that your transmission is defective, particularly when you consider Honda's well-deserved reputation for building easy-to-shift manual transmissions.

Your dealer is not giving you the level of service to which you're entitled. This talk of "the newer manual trans" is pure nonsense. Sticks have changed very little since synchromesh on 1st gear was introduced more than 50 years ago. You should not have to play with your car's gearbox to coax it into reverse. You should have to do no more than shift into reverse, release the parking break & let out the clutch. The idiotic workarounds that your service department has suggested - shift into 1st, etc. - tells me that these folks will do anything to avoid actually solving your problem.

Politely but firmly tell the service manager that the car's performance is unacceptable. If another stick is available, ask to drive it. (You probably won't be this lucky, though.) If you have to, escalate this matter & get Honda's regional rep involved. Avoid nastiness, but do be persistent. Make it clear that you won't go away until the car performs to your complete satisfaction.

My experience with Honda sticks goes back more than 30 years, & I've never had anything like the problem that you've described. Even my college car - a '68 Rambler American with a non-synchro reverse gear that was probably the worst car ever built outside the Soviet bloc - wasn't as much trouble as your brand new CR-V.

Please don't give up on your CR-V. Make your service department serve you. Keep us posted on what happens.
  • kvntrnhkvntrnh Member Posts: 3
    Have anyone mention about how awkward the left footrest pad or pedal on THE 05-06 CRV? It's completely flatten on the floor. I find it very uncomfortable and useless!
    Any solutions to this prolem?
    Thanks
    There are no reverse gear synchros in any of Honda's manuals. If you have trouble putting in reverse, put it in first, then reverse. I have always had this problem with Honda manuals. I have to admit, CR-V is a little bit worse than others. Sometimes I have to roll forward a bit, then try reverse again.

What do you know, the OWNER's MANUAL on page 147 tells you tp put it in one of the forward gears before shifting into reverse.

Maybe someone should read it?
  • deamdeam Member Posts: 1
    Ok. When the weather is cold, the emergency hand brake loses its tension, and becomes sort of flimsy, like it's not connected to anything. But when it is warm outside, it's fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
    You're right about the non-synchro reverse, & I'm embarrassed to admit that I skipped over the owner's manual instructions for manual transmissions.

But I've owned a Civic, 2 Accords & now a CR-V, all with sticks, & I've never had anything close to the trouble that beep2 is having. It sounds as if he's following the manual (& his service advisor's instructions), & he's still having a hard time. Unless he's exaggerating or leaving something out, I can't help but believe that his transmission is not performing to spec.

And even if the problem is with his shift technique & not with the transmission itself, couldn't one of the service advisors spend 10 minutes in the car with him to set him straight?

Maybe it's my soft heart, but I just think that the poor guy is suffering needlessly.
    god: Even though I agree with you that folks should read the owners manual (I read mine cover to cover) I don't think that your condescending tone towards everyone on the boards is really necessary. We all know that you have memorized the owners manual and are the all knowing CR-V owner. Your advice is usually helpful after you get by the attitude. How about a little humility oh blue eyed wonder boy? Also, its on page 159 in the 2006 owners manual.

Thanks.

Another thought about the manual transmission. I don't know where I picked up the habit but I always park in reverse (the manual says to do this when parked downhill, parking uphill it says to leave in first. I usually park in a level spot.) so that when I get in and start her up I am already in reverse. I also engage the parking brake before I shut down and release the clutch so the car is resting on the brakes and not the gears in the tranny. I wonder if this helps at all.

TB
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

Just to clarify blueiedgod, I did indeed read the owners manual & saw the instructions you referenced. However, as I indicated in my initial post, sometimes reverse will engage & other times it won't...despite shifting into "one of the forward gears" as the manual indicates.
    I've tried parking in 1st, neutral & reverse. I've parked on a flat surface & on an incline. Again, nothing seems to make a difference; there appears to be no "common denominator" when it fails to go into reverse.

I truly feel that the Service Dept. is dismissing the problem because when they checked it out, it was under ideal circumstances i.e. flat surface, warm bay. That & the fact that they've made numerous references to my inability to drive a stick. That in itself is hysterical since 3 of my previous manuals have been Hondas & I've been driving for 30 years with nary a blown clutch. Even my husband who is a tractor trailer driver has had difficulty engaging reverse yet at other times it slides right in.

I called the Service Dept first thing this AM & the manager said they've done everything they could & transferred me to the dealership mgr. Now keep in mind that up until last spring she was a grade school teacher. When her father (who owns an auto mall) bought a Honda dealership, she became mgr. So......she offered to take my CR-V, drive it for a few days in an effort "to diagnose the problem". My first instinct was to decline because she's not a mechanic & I feel it's the SD's responsibility. Said I would get back to her. Thoughts? What about trying a SD from a different dealership?

This is so frustrating as we are a pro-Honda family. My daughter just bought a 2006 Ridgeline & my sister has a Pilot. My CR-V is nice...Silver Moss, roof rack, side steps....just a screwy trans.

Thanks again!
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Yes, the seats can be made into a bed. If your manual is in the glove box, it'll show you how. Your salesperson should have shown you this.
    By all means, try another dealer's service dept.
  • jcufr1jcufr1 Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problems I am with my 2006 CR-V. I bought it in October 2005 and I have taken it into the dealership three times because it veers to the right when accelerating and the steering wheel vibrates at speeds above 60mph. If anyone is experiencing these problems, could you please share them!! Also, could you explain how you resolved it? I am very frustrated and neither Honda or the dealership will do anything about it!!
    I am not trying to be mean, but if you give man a fish, he will have dinner that night. If you teach man how to fish, he will have dinner every night.

As far as the humility, I posted my own experience with it, and it is more difficult in the CR-V than any other Honda to engage reverse properly. I just chucked it to the fact that Honda probably beefed up the gears for the CR-V and thus the difficulty. Some days it does take me a few tries to to get it into reverse or even just rolling forward a bit to get the reverse engaged. I still don't think there is anything wrogn with it. If anything it is performing like any GM tranny would in all the forward gears :-)
  • phil_qcphil_qc Member Posts: 11
    search for PTTR in this forum...
    I am sorry...What does that mean?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Pull To The Right
    Hello!! I have been having the same problems with my car and I have contacted the BBB!! It seems like Honda is giving everyone this story (that it is a characteristic of the vehicle) How was the situation resolved by the BBB? Did you receive your money back or a new car? If you provide me with any information, I would really appreciate it! I have been so frustrated by this experience and I am finally glad to hear someone else has fought back!!
    I am answering to anyone who has had this problem. I am experienceing the same problem with the vehicle pulling to the right. I also experience vibrating in my steering wheel at speeds of 60-70 mph. I have just filed a claim with the BBB. Have you spoken directly to Honda? What have they told you?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Here is a summary of PTTR. There is a TSB which addresses this. Take that information to the dealer and suggest they look it up.
    Some days it does take me a few tries to to get it into reverse or even just rolling forward a bit to get the reverse engaged.

My experience with my '06 CR-V has been entirely different. When I want to back up, I shift into reverse. No fuss, no drama, no rolling forward or trying several times. I always get reverse on the 1st shot.

FWIW, I always leave my CR-V in 1st or 2nd gear when I shut it down - never in neutral. Could this have anything to do with my not having any trouble engaging reverse when I start it up again?

Otherwise, I have to suspect that both your & beep2's trannies are out of whack.

Does anyone else who owns a late-model stick-shift CR-V want to chime in?
  • ironweedironweed Member Posts: 13
    If your dealer is NOT familiar with the term PTTR, I would look for a new dealer....

Honda has written tech bulletins on PTTR, and the problem is relatively simple to correct, in most instances.
  • heidi4heidi4 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 200 CRV EX manual as well. Very often I can't put the car inot reverse on the first try. I was always told to put it into first then try again and if that doesn't work, put it into first and roll a little then reverse. It's always worked for me. I was under the impression this happens with a lot of manual transmissions, not just for the CRV.
  • langerlanger Member Posts: 6
    hello, I'm trying to change my drive belt on an '02 CRV, can anyone point out where the tensioner lives?
  • italiadarioitaliadario Member Posts: 4
    Hi, i have also just purchest a new 2006 honda cr-v ex all wheel drive,nice ride,becide the fact that it pulls severly to the right, i mean if i let go of the sterring , in 3 seconds im off the road!! I took it to the dealer,and they said that that is normal for that model to pull a bit to the direction of the road, but they realized that it did it way too much so they had to do a alinment , the car only has 700 miles on it, and it still pulls !!
  • italiadarioitaliadario Member Posts: 4
    :mad: i am also very upset, just purchest a brand new 2006 honda crv all wheel drive ex model,it severly pulls to the right even after having an alinment done 2 weeks ago at only 700 miles!!Dont know what to do! Can anybody help?
    My experience with my '06 CR-V has been entirely different. When I want to back up, I shift into reverse. No fuss, no drama, no rolling forward or trying several times. I always get reverse on the 1st shot.

FWIW, I always leave my CR-V in 1st or 2nd gear when I shut it down - never in neutral. Could this have anything to do with my not having any trouble engaging reverse when I start it up again?

Otherwise, I have to suspect that both your & beep2's trannies are out of whack.

Does anyone else who owns a late-model stick-shift CR-V want to chime in?

I don't have a problem putting in reverse when pulling out of spots. The problem persist when I have to put it in reverse after driving forward. I just assumed the gears were still spinning and that is why I could not engage. By putting it in 1st at stand still, I allign the gears, or at least stop them from spinning. At least this is my theory. I highly doubt that this is a problem. At leats it not for me. I am used to putting honda manuals in 1st before reverse. The problem only exists when I don't put it in first. And sometimes, after I put it in first and can't engage the Reverse, I move up a bit and then it engages no problem.

I never leave it in gear when parked, unless I parked on a really steep incline. Even then, I try to use the curb as choks to take the stress off the tranny. If I park for more than a week. Then I don't engage the parking brake and leave it in 1st.
    PTTR IS NOT AN ALIGNMENT PROBLEM !! And it is not 'normal' for the CRV

It is a problem associated with the correct positioning of the right front strut (or something like that).

Honda has recognized the problem, and has adressed it in technical memos to their service centers.

Any honest, competent service manager should imediately know what you're talking about when you say 'PTTR', and should be able to fix the problem in short order, by rotating the spring, or strut, or whatever.

If your dealer is saying its 'normal', and tries to fix it with an standard alignment, your are at the wrong shop..
    I don't have a problem putting in reverse when pulling out of spots. The problem persist when I have to put it in reverse after driving forward. I just assumed the gears were still spinning and that is why I could not engage. By putting it in 1st at stand still, I allign the gears, or at least stop them from spinning. At least this is my theory.

Interesting. I'll have to pay more attention to how my CR-V behaves under these conditions. IIRC, when shifting from 1st to reverse in my earlier Hondas in the scenario that you described, I had to briefly pause in neutral.
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    Here are some suggestions based on my PTTR experience.

First, call Honda. They will contact a dealership of your choice. Then you go to that dealership. They should perform the PTTR-related service bulletin (sorry, don't remember the number). At the end, they should do the 4-wheel alignment. If you are lucky, your problem will be 95-97% fixed. If you still unhappy with that, you can try one more alignment, maybe at a different dealership (I have found that alignment machines are not all the same).

The bad news is, your CR-V may never go 100% straight. Yes, it will pull to the right every time you accelerate, and yes, it will drift to the right after several seconds at a highway speed on a flat road. The good news is, after a year of driving the CR-V, you may get used to this.

If the CR-V still pulls severely to the right after the service bulletin is performed -- well, the dealership should try some other fixes. This forum has many posts on the PTTR issue and the possible fixes -- you can do the search.

And of course, you can try the BBB and the Lemon Law, if nothing else works. Though, based on the posts in this and other forums, it seems not many people were successful.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out.

RM
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    I have a simple question. My Owners Manual for 2005 CR-V (auto) says something like "step on the brake pedal, then start the engine". Well, I do it as the manual suggests, though I do not fully understand the reason. On my old car, I just started the engine without pressing the brake pedal, then pressed the brakes when I shifted. Can anybody help me with the explanation? Thank you.

RM
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone through the BBB arbitration on this PTTR. If you could forward any useful information on your experience it would be much appreciated. I took mine back to the dealer yesterday for the fourth time -- the most recent visit arranged by American Honda Motor Corp. after I wrote them a letter asking for a fix or a buy back. The dealer had already done alignments and a rotation and a few weeks ago did what the service bulletin suggested and adjusted the damper on the strut assembly -- but only because I brought a copy of the service bulletin with me. This most recent visit they simply switched the two front tires....which of course makes the car pull to the left...it will at least until the radial tires get pulled the other way enough by the PTTR and re-learn how to pull to the right.
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    I recently purchased a 2006 SE model and notice a faint click in the steering wheel/column when coming to a complete stop after braking. This pretty much happens everytime I stop. Does anyone else notice this, and does anyone know what this is?

I also here a click/clunk coming from the rear end once I start moving (it happens when I hit about 10 MPH). This only happens once after I start the engine, then it never happens again until I restart the car. I think this is the ABS doing a self-check...is that right?
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Oh.....I'd like to hear from Poorrichard or anyone else who has done the arbitration....and can be reached off site at
    terrypcarter-at-hotmail.com
    Through the 1990's I served as a 'Lemom Law' arbitrator here in New York state. While a PTTR case never came up back then, I can tell you this..

I would consider PTTR a significant safety issue which would certainly warrant an arbitration hearing. I have little doubt that a fair hearing officer would not grant you a new vehicle, after 3 attempts had been made to solve the problem.

The key words you must use are 'unsafe', 'safety', and 'dangerous'....
  • cscl124cscl124 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 CRV started doing the same thing. What did you do to fix it?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I recently purchased a 2006 SE model and notice a faint click in the steering wheel/column when coming to a complete stop after braking.

It's the reverse lockout solenoid. It protects you from shifting your automatic transmission into Reverse when the vehicle is moving forward. When your CR-V is nearly at a stop it disengages, which is the click you're hearing.

In other words, it's normal.
    I also here a click/clunk coming from the rear end once I start moving (it happens when I hit about 10 MPH). This only happens once after I start the engine, then it never happens again until I restart the car. I think this is the ABS doing a self-check...is that right?

That's correct.
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    Thank you jimbres and theracoon for the explanation and reassurance. So far, I haven't had any problems with my CR-V (only have 1500 miles on it, though), and think it's a great car. I haven't had the PTTR problem that so many others are writing about, and neither have 5 of my other friends who own CR-V's. My other car is a Pilot, which I truly love.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    After owning two CRVS and after driving and riding in, literally HUNDREDS of CRV's, I have yet to experience even ONE that pulled to the right!

That is the truth.

I think some people may be thinking that a gradual drift to the right when their hands are taken off the wheel is a "pull" when in fact, it is a normal "drift".