Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,712
    Do you notice it mostly when headed downhill? Thats Honda's grade logic transmission holding in third gear to save the braking system. It usually happens when you start coasting on a downhill stretch, and lightly apply the brakes. The transmission computer assumes that you need engine braking, to help slow the car. Try it in different areas...downhill, level, foot off the brake, and on.. See if you can tell the difference.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    and...just to be sure...do you have O/D off?
    mine vibrates at stops in gear also. It's pretty common. it's a large displacement 4 cylinder thing.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    I have a new 2003 CR-V EX , made in Japan. I've driven about 2500 miles.
    I noticed from the day one that the car slows down during downhill
    'coasting' and when you take foot off the gas pedal .
    It does not 'coast' like any other car I drove before. It is VERY annoying
    to the point that I considering to sell that CR-V. I understand that I'll lose
    lots of money - I ordered leather heated seats, fog lights and other accessories... .
    (Interesting: I did NOT notice that defect during drive test of the dealership car -
    I drove another CR-V then. My CR-V was picked by my wife - I was overseas.
    She, of coarse, did not noticed anything).
    Just like 'mjn015', at the beginning I thought that brakes are 'braking in'.
    Now I believe something is wrong with the transmission. Similar problem was
    reported by another guy I know - his situation was even worse: his CR-V was also
    'jerking' forward after the 'rolling stops'.
    I do not count very much on dealership/Honda help - they would probably claim that
    'everything is normal according to specs'... you now.
    Are there any ideas what to do: sell the junk and be more careful next time? OR
    try to fight with Honda?
      I understand the problem is common. Were there any recalls on transmission?
    To be on the fair side - I must admit that other than described problem the car is
    not bad. Gas mileage is 27-30 on the highway and generally car is very well thought of.
    It is also a little shaky (I maintain tire pressure at 34 psi) and noisy but I can live with that.

Kizhe
  • atlas1025atlas1025 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the VIn numbers, Varmint!
    Actually, this is the new paradigm of automatic transmissions. Most Enthusiast drivers much prefer a transmission that stays in gear, rather than goes to neutral. It's not a problem, per se, it's a feature that is intentional. It's related to the Grade Logic Control system.

Many people complain badly about stepping on the gas to accelerate during the neutral period and having to wait a second or two for the transmission to go back into gear on other cars. I think the CRV's system is preferable, once you get used to it. So does Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW, and others.

"Grade Logic Control
    Grade Logic Control is a standard feature of the Civic automatic transmission. Unlike other systems, Grade Logic Control offers seamless progress over variable road condition, particularly on hilly routes where the transmission delivers the same degree of control as a manual transmission.

Grade Logic Control works by measuring throttle position, road speed, rates of deceleration and acceleration and brake pedal application to select appropriate shift points for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears based on a series of stored shift maps.

In the example of a Civic being driven uphill, Grade Logic will sense a large throttle opening without any speed increase, and will deduce that the vehicle is travelling uphill and how steep the grade is. Grade Logic will choose a shift map that will downshift and hold the appropriate gear.

However, if a closed throttle and brake pedal activation signal is received, the system determines the Civic is being driven downhill. Grade Logic will select a shift map that will downshift and hold third or second gear to make use of engine braking.

Similarly, Grade Logic can use a rapid deceleration signal and a closed throttle to determine that the car is entering a tight bend, and will choose a shift map that downshifts early for more responsive acceleration. The same set of inputs occur in the braking/acceleration pattern often accompanying stop-go city driving."

from http://www.honda.com.au/showroom/civic/sedan/=technology/_transmi- ssion+grade+logic+control.htm
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    >Similarly, Grade Logic can use a rapid deceleration signal and a closed throttle to determine that the car is entering a tight bend, and will choose a shift map that downshifts early for more responsive acceleration. The same set of inputs occur in the braking/acceleration pattern often accompanying stop-go city driving

I am getting used to the "Grade Logic" on my MDX and I don't like the downshift when I coast down long hills that are part of my commute. In fact I pop the tranny selector into neutral on the coast that has light at the bottom. Don't worry, I keep my hand on the shifter and I won't do it the lights aren't right and/or the traffic is heavy.
    Thank you, robmarch.
    Is it safe to coast downhill on the neutral gear like rerenov8r reported?
    I do not mean traffic safety - this is a driver's responsibility.
    I mean, is it safe for transmission/Grade Logic Control system?
    What that system would 'think' what I am doing?
    Kizhe.
    I'm not an expert, but you should be able to put the transmission in Neutral at any time. Re engaging drive should be no problem too. And, if you're not in drive, the grade logic system isn't thinking, I don't believe.

Actually, most people like the downshift down long hills, since it prevents the car from "running away" under it's own weight in neutral, requiring braking to control speed. If you can't get used to it, though, I can understand.
  • wgn4snowwgn4snow Member Posts: 17
    Back in post 344, 401356 mentioned changing the 70s for Michelin 75s.

What Michelin model did you choose? What was the actual tire size? Did you mount them on your CRV's stock rims?

I am looking for "city" performance (if I buy a CRV, that is). The Bridgstones offer nothing for me, as I will do zero off-roading. In the winter I would mount a set of Michelin Alpins, but I need a summer tire. A wider profile tire would also be useful to add to grip. Can a wider tire be accomodated by the factory alloys and the CRV's wheelwell?

Any and all comments on alternate tire choices are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • mjn015mjn015 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me. It sounds like this isn't really a problem and it's just the way the car is supposed to run. I guess I'll just have to get use to it. Everything else about the car is fine, so I can't complain. Well...I guess I could - everything about the radio stinks (location, sound quality, functions) and why couldn't they put a power lock switch on the passenger side?? And a large storage bin would have been better than that flip down thing between the seats. :)
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I love the stereo. For standard factory head unit I think it does a fine job.

I love the flip down thing between the seats. You can purchase a unit for the middle if you choose. There are plenty of aftermarket companies that offer stuff. My friend has a refrigerated compartment/beverage holder/storage unit in his Villager.

I agree with the power lock thing 100%.
    I agree about the placement of the radio.. When in gear, the shift lever is directly in the path your hand takes to the volume knob.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Your hand. Not mine : )
    I guess so... I had a stick in the last CRV, so maybe its just me... don't think so, though.. I do like the radio and the in-dash CD changer.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Maybe I just never noticed it. Ergonomics are something I generally ingore unless it's very uncomfortable or very unfriendly.

Perhaps it has to do with how far I sit to the dash? I drive with the seat all the way back.
    I only noticed it when I knocked it out of gear a couple of times... Not a big problem.. I love the car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

When I was shopping for a new car I checked a lots of different cars.
    Money was not a major issue. I just wanted to buy a car which I liked.
    I took CR-V EX because it was Honda, but not only because of that.
    There were also lots of other nice cars out there.
    What I liked in CR-V was: gear shift and parking break lever position, flip shelf/passage between
    front seats, in-dash 6-CD changer, plenty of cargo space (for me), powerful 4-cyl economical engine on regular fuel, tinted "green glass", engine is quiet .
    What I disliked in CR-V: Grade Logic Transmission System (you have a feeling that smth drag you back, on downhill coasting, shaky suspension and noisy tires, mediocre radio sound.
    What I bought as accessories: Fog lights (very GOOD - highly recommend), roof rack (mediocre) , Interior silver decals (which brought some 'exclusive' accents to dull interior), chrome exhaust pipe (worthless thing), front splash guards (why are they not 'standard'?), leather seats (very good), 4 -piece floor/cargo mats (practical), cargo net (never used so far), winter heated seats (not working - I guess they are waiting until winter comes to start working :-) .
    All of these goodies brought the price to about $26,000 - but I have what I wanted.
  • mikek777mikek777 Member Posts: 3
    This is a 1998 CRV with a manual transmission and 140K miles on it. I get a fairly violent vibration when backing up a steep gravel hill in reverse. (4wd has kicked in) The wheels did not seem to have bounced as no ruts on the hill. I have noticed this in deep snow as well. There is no vibration when going forward in 4wd. Anybody else had this problem?
    First... I think you have drum brakes on the back.. no rotors.. Rotors will naturally show rust overnight (front). This is just surface rust and comes off with first application of the brakes.
    I'm not going to try to diagnose your brake problem, but if the brake is rubbing the rotor partially while you are driving, it would be normal for the noise to stop when you apply the brake, as you then have full contact between the pads and rotors.
    Also, there is no way your rear brakes are gone after 14,000 miles without some very serious problem... Rear drums typically last 80,000 miles or more.

hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All CR-Vs since 02 have four wheel discs. And I agree, there is no way your brakes are completely worn unless there is a big problem with your driving or the vehicle. Usually the fronts go before the rears. I would think that maybe you have a problem with the parking brake if your rears are gone. Of course, I'm not a mechanic so, I wouldn't really know.

Second opinions are a good thing.
    I was thinking of my '98... Hey, I've only had this one for a little over a year!! It just shows you how little I have to worry about maintenance issues.

I remain....red-faced.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx, funny stuff. Most of the time I find myself walking around with a foot in my mouth or my butt.

I question the mechanic saying the rotors are all rusty. What would you expect? Unless he is saying the fronts are all rusty. That would mean the calipers aren't working on the front and your only using the back. That would explain worn rear brakes.

Still, this is only speculation.
  • kittygirlkittygirl Member Posts: 6
    I just read post 403 and I was wondering how long it takes to have the retaining clip on the front brake caliper adjusted. Also wondering if this is a definite fix for the clicking/clunking noise the brakes make after changing directions. I'm going to be going in for an oil change soon and was hoping to have that problem fixed at the same time. Any input would be much appreciated.
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    Re: brake problem.
    I posted this last year (2002 CR-V)
    dave_cl "Honda CR-V" Aug 12, 2002 2:03pm
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Kittygirl - Honda has released TSB 03-033 on the issue. They will be making a new lower retaining clip pad to better support the clip. I suppose this prevents the clip and brake pad from shifting.

The site where this is posted requires registration (free), so I can't post a link. Send me an e-mail and I can give you more instructions.
  • kittygirlkittygirl Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the TSB # varmint. If the dealership gives me a hard time and I need additional info., I'll shoot you an e-mail to get the details. Usually just mentioning that you are aware that there is a TSB makes them take notice. I wonder if they already have the new retaining clips available. Thanks to atlas1025 too for posting the recall info. I'll ask about that as well. I'm only at 4000 miles, so it will probably be another month before I go in for the oil change and hopefully get the other stuff handled as well.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The TSB has been out since June so the clips should be available...
  • hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 CR-V with about 22,000 miles...went away on vacation for 10 days and when I cam back, the a.c. wasn't working...the first day all I got was hot air coming out of the vents...the air is now a little cooler but still not cold enough...also, the max a.c. setting doesn't seem to do anything...anyone experience anything like this?
    I did on my 96 nissan when it was low on R134a refrigerant. I have a gauge that checks the refrigerant pressure and they have little cans of refrigerant that you can use to recharge it.

This probably isn't the problem with yours, though you could have the dealer check it. It might be a problem with the thermostat, temperature control, or a switch in the compressor? I'm far from an expert though, so I'd take it to the dealer.
  • seroneraseronera Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 CRV with almost 106,000 miles on it. Today, after driving in pretty major heat and humidity for an hour, cold water began to drip on my right foot about every 20 minutes. Then we found moisture in and behind the glove compartment. Finally, the check engine light went on. Guess I need to get it to the dealer, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what this might be or whether it's ok to drive it in the meantime. Thanks!
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    We are having a problem with our 2002 CR-V.

Once the car gets into 4th (top) gear it is nearly impossible to get the car to accelerate beyond a snails pace. The problem is that when we press on the gas the engine doesn't seem to respond accordingly to the input. The only way we can force a downshift is to take the vehicle out of Overdrive.

We've had it looked at once and of course they didn't find anything wrong with it.

This is especially noticeable at 55mph+

What do you guys think? Is it a transmission or drive-by-wire problem?
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Doesnt sound like anything I have seen as of yet but you may want to go and have it looked at, road tested to see whats up..
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I took my '03 EX to Town and Country Honda in Barre, VT to have the brakes looked at, since the rear rotors and pads were very worn and causing a lot of noise (see previous post). They replaced the pads and rotors, and performed a few TSB upgrades as well, no charge. Best of all, and catch this: I told them that the car HAD to be ready today so I could take it on a trip. They didn't have the right rotors in house, so they put on after market ones just so that I would have the car for the trip. They said that I can return whenever I want in September and they will put in the Honda rotors for me, again at no charge. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is SERVICE.
  • workingforblueworkingforblue Member Posts: 1
    Just took my 2003 CR-V with 14000 miles in today because air conditioner not working (lights come on but little or no cold air). Dealer just called and said compressor bad. Installing a new one under warranty. They also checked VIN and found shift cable recall. They are performing it at the same time.
  • taykinitezytaykinitezy Member Posts: 56
    took my '03 LX in today and had the "throttle cable" and "transmission cable" problems taken care of. Seemed to be no big deal, a little "tape and grease" was all. Almost a joke. I think the work order showed .2 and .3 labor hours alloted. Although I do have the "brake caliper clunk" I was told it has not been confirmed for my VIN. I did not have time to press the issue, so will wait and see. I just hope the "tape and grease" for what it seems will take care of the problems.
    So I waxed the CR-V this weekend. I was very unhappy to see the paint on the roof was applied VERY poorly. Directly behind the sunroof there is a patch about a foot in diameter that has almost no pigment. Our V is eternal blue and the patch is gray with some blue in it. It's shiny and smooth but it looks like crap. I don't know if the paint wasn't applied thick enough or if there was a problem with the paint. Frankly I don't care, as long as it holds up well. I can't see it unless I stand on the door sill and look. Lately it seems, Honda paint jobs have sucked. My mom's Civic EX makes me wonder if a monkey was holding the paint gun.

Honda had better get this stuff sorted out or they won't be the place I start my shopping next time.
  • pc4268pc4268 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy 2003 CRV. but after i read the post here about issues like coasting problems/brakes wearing off/ alignment I am having second thoughts

How does it stand quality vise agianst Toyota Highlander
    the coasting issue is a matter of personal preference, not a problem with the car.

I'm not sure what you mean about brakes wearing. Some cars do have a little "click" noise when braking the first time after reversing, due to the pads moving slightly in the calipers. This is not a safety issue, just a little "quirk" of the car. It doesn't affect the braking at all.

Alignment issues are common on all new cars. truck transport can cause cars to be out of alignment on delivery to the customer. If yours is out, the dealer will fix it for free.

I think it's a good car, and would buy another. Actually, it would be a close race between the CRV and the new Forester XT. My biggest complaint is that I'm not a fan of the tires that come on it stock. I recently replaced mine after 30k.
  • weaselgxweaselgx Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 CR-V LX. I'll be renting a Uhaul 4x6 trailer in two weeks to help move my stuff to college. I've recently purchased a Class I hitch and the wiring harness.

In the manual, it said that there's a socket to plug in the brake and turn signal lights from the trailer and it is located in the left cargo area ... eh where exactly is it?

Thanks!
  • pc4268pc4268 Member Posts: 3
    is it possible to add Moonroof and deep tinted glass to a CRV LX. They are not listed as options and how much they would cost. EX is 3K more than LX which has thes and much more. Any thoughts..
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Weaselgx - It's behind the speaker. Working it through the cargo floor is the part that is tricky to describe. Send me an e-mail and I can direct you to detailed instructions.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I bought the EX because it had extra features I wanted (roughly in order of importance):

1. ABS
    2. Distributed braking system
    3. Side impact air bags
    4. Realtime AWD
    5. Multi-CD
    6. Alloy rims
    7. Tinted glass
    8. Moonroof

For the 3K you actually get a lot of value...
  • darrydarry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 CRV, automatic,~68,000 miles. The other day as we were driving, we lost complete power. Best description is similar to a power out age or pulling a power cord, no warning, all of a sudden it just dies (radio still works though). It did start right up again, but we experienced this 2 more time before getting it to a mechanic. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, kept the car all day, drove it, everything was fine. 15 minutes after picking it up, it happened again. Dealer/mechanic says that unless they can reproduce the problem, there isn't much they can do. I drove it for a couple of hours today, hoping that it would happen again so I could call the dealer, but it acted fine. Any ideas on what the issue is?
    I saw a similar post on a new Element in which it turns out a "cable from the fuel line" was loose (whatever that means):

http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=2fde98b5f96ffc749406- 15c423e2d70a&threadid=2796

Just a thought...
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There is an ignition switch recall on 1997-2000 CR-Vs (along with a large number of other Honda vehicles). One of the things that can happen is the engine can stall suddenly, and then be able to be restarted immediately. Contact your Honda dealer and give them your VIN number to see if you're covered, then schedule a visit to have it fixed. It should be completely free of cost to you.

Good luck.
  • apachejesusapachejesus Member Posts: 1
    Recently I purchased a CRV EX 4WD and drove over a couple of weeks some 670 miles. The other day, I was driving down a road at about 35mph and suddenly I found myself going through trees and rolling down a ravine. The drivers behind me reported that just before the car went off the road the R front end seemed to dip and the car then veered into the Oaks and the ravine. I have no memory of this. My question is, What the hell could have happened? The insurance company has found no defects, or at least have not reported such to me. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Is there something different about driving the CRV rather than a different SUV with 4wd? Any ideas. The tyres are all okay. But the tyre on the R front was unseated from the wheel.
    pot hole? maybe the front right tire left the road?

I'm at a loss here.

if the tire on the right front was unseated from the wheel, it's possible that could have been what triggered the accident, rather than a result of the accident.

I'd chalk it up to bad luck or freak accident.

Hope everyone's ok, good luck with the insurance.
    Do you mean the tire rim was off of the axle or that the rubber was separated from the rim?
    The former might indicate the lug nuts weren't tightened, and the latter a tire failure.