Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I've tried it and I can't print out a copy. The copy available only has the table of contents. It would cost about $35 for the manual (book) -- is that reasonable? Do you know where else I can look? Thanks!"

I just downloaded it and I can read the entire manual. I didn't try printing it (I have no need of a 2003 CR-V manual hard copy!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've had trouble downloading Honda manuals too. I use a non-Adobe product to read pdf files and figured it was related to that.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try this one: Foxit Reader

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's the one I use. :blush:

I'll have to check for an update.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I use foxit as well, and had no problems reading the PDF.
  • seahorsea1seahorsea1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    A few weeks ago, my windshield washer hose was eaten by something, I can't join the hose, whatever decided to eat it, chewed to where it went into the body work. Can anyone tell me how it can replace.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
  • vicman1vicman1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car since new, but it has never had anyting major done to it other then sensor relay changed, which was about a year ago. About 2 weeks ago the it started to make a tatatatatata sound from the left side of the passanger side, and I almost thought it was a bad speaker/tweeter, but it was not. And it was not to long ago that the engine light came on as well--now it is at an auto-shop and they are telling me that perhaps the computer had a short and went bad. They are guessing because I had the engine steam cleaned, though this phenomenon did not occur till weeks later. They are trying to estimate through diagostics what it might be. Is there anyone out there with the same problem.
    sign Vicman1
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I have a 2007 CRV and am trying to change the Air Filter (near the intake) and the In-Cabin Pollen Filter. Can someone point me on how to do this. I can't find instructions in the Owners Manual. On my Corolla, they're both very easy and cheap to do. However the Honda dealer wants $180 to do both.
    Is this reasonable?
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    A pair of CR-V cabin filters are usually available at eBay for circa $15.00 and if you search for "CR-V Cabin Filter" at www.youtube.com, you will find a number of do-it-yourself videos on how to install the filters. It takes less than ten minutes to remove/install the cabin filters. The engine air filter is also quite simple to do. Give it a try.
    Cheers,
    Jack
  • bobintampabobintampa Member Posts: 10
    Please do not pay the dealer this amount of money for a fairly simple maintenance task. As mentioned before, the youtube DIY videos are very good for something like this. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8e3oomo4ow

Have fun :shades: - bobintampafl
  • jcanaverajcanavera Member Posts: 11
    Air filter replacements by dealers are a rip. I just got a flyer from the local dealer to change my 2002 CRV's cabin filter for $99. I bought the filter from the Majestic Honda web site. One of the best prices on the Internet. Getting to the filter on my 2002 requires releasing some catches to the glove box so that it moves out of the way. Remove a clip, slide out the old filter and install the new. Very easy takes hardly any labor to do.

Do it yourself and save big time money.

Jack
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I have the '07 EX-L
    I do my own maintenance and change the oil (now synthetic) every 5,000 miles, way ahead of Honda's recommendation. I didn't bother to pull out the owner's manual to reset the gauge at the 10,000 mile oil change and now the gauge is in negative miles (-528) as far the car's understanding of the service interval.
    I tried resetting it according to the manual, pages 260-1, but it doesn't work. I suspect the problem is the negative miles.
    When I get to step #5 for resetting, it messes up.
    I can get "Oil Life" to blink and thus "cancel" and the temperature reading not blinking, but when I get "Oil Life" blinking and press to reset it instead reverts to where I started: minus-528 miles.
    Anyone got the answer?
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    Have you considered disconnecting the battery?
  • matthewmatthew Member Posts: 11
    We have this CRV for about 3 weeks and noticed that the rear door (hatch) creaks when going over bumps or when making certain turns. Has anyone else experienced this? What is the fix for this?
  • slehmanslehman Member Posts: 1
    Hoping someone can help us figure out if the dealer is ripping us off. About three weeks ago the check engine light came on and the code was P0420. We were still under the Federal Warranty for the Catalytic Converter (thank God our trusted auto mechanic told us that) but we had to take the vehicle to a Honda Dealer to get that done. After still charging us for the diagnostic (even though the first mechanic already did it) they replaced the catalytic converter. Now, three weeks later, the check engine light is back on again and the code is P1166, which is for the Primary HO2S (No. 1) Heater System Electrical. Of course the dealer wants to charge us again for the diagnostic and for the replacement of the sensor - a $400+ job. What I'm trying to determine before I let these clowns rip me off is if that sensor is related to the replaced catalytic converter - should they have replaced that at the same time, could they have ruined it when they did the first job., etc. Dealer is saying "no way" but it seems a bit hard to buy. Would love any advice I can get!
  • gregwgregw Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 CRV is making a loud whining noise from the right front wheel. The noise stops when I break or turn sharply in either direction. I have found that if I back up quickly and hit the brakes the sound will go away for a few days, but then returns.

I replaced the front pads thinking it may be that, but no luck. Is this possibly the wheel bearing and if so is it a pain to replace it?
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I had a mid pitched whining noise from the rear brakes after they heated up on my 02 V. Also stopped when braking or turning.

The noise was caused by corrosion on the brake calipers. Cleaning and lubing the calipers solved the problem.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    They're separate, but related in the sense that they both deal with the exhaust gas. The sensor is monitoring the gas, the converter cleaning it up. The sensor is sending a signal to the engine computer, which adjusts the intake gas mixture.

In addition to the oxygen sensing piece of the sensor, there is a warming heater that is used when the engine is cold and first started. This gets the sensor up to it's operating temperature faster than waiting for the engine to warm up and the exhaust gases to keep it hot. It has a couple parameters that the engine computer is also monitoring to make sure the O2sensor heats itself up in the correct timeframe.

The sensor is not a cheap part, so one would not normally replace it just because you also replaced the downstream converter.
  • gregwgregw Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. So given that fix would it be that the caliper is not fully releasing? When I changed the front pads the calipers pushed backing pretty easy.
    I had the calipers serviced by my dealer. There was a TSB about the noise that said it was caused by corrosion between the caliper bracket and the pad retainers.

The TSB # is 04-006.
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A04-006.PDF

There is a lot of winter road salt in my area which causes brake corrosion. After that time I had my 02V and now have my 07V brakes cleaned and lubed after each winter season.
  • aljanneyaljanney Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a good set of do-it-yourself directions on removing the passenger door panel on a 2001 CRV and putting the window back on track?
  • soupfreaksoupfreak Member Posts: 1
    You're lucky. A couple of years ago I had to have the Catalytic Converter replaced at a cost of $1600 dollars (Just 7000 miles past the Federal Warranty)

This weekend it failed smog. Sure enough there's that PO420 code! I have been doing some searching on the 2002 Honda CR-V and Catalytic Converters, and it looks like others are having the same issue.
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    "I have been doing some searching on the 2002 Honda CR-V and Catalytic Converters, and it looks like others are having the same issue."

Link?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Anyone have a good set of do-it-yourself directions on removing the passenger door panel on a 2001 CRV and putting the window back on track?

You will most likely need to replace the regulator, or parts of it.

You will most likely need the Helms manual to do that.

You can buy one from www.helminc.com or download a bootleg copy here.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    My father purchased a 2007 4WD/Navi Honda CR-V in 5/2007 and it has just hit 30k miles. He's wondering about getting a 30k service done on it. I went and looked at the manual online, but was really having a hard time figuring out what needed to get done.

Last summer, with my 2004 Accord, Between the manual and the info on ownerslink, it was much easier for me to figure out what needed to get done for my 90k service (and I needed to know this because I wanted to go Firestone to get this done instead of the dealer who was charging quite a bit for the service).

Here is the 2004 Accord scheduled maintenance info for comparison:

90,000 mi/144,000 km Scheduled Maintenance
    Rotate tires
    Replace air cleaner element
    90,000 mi/144,000 km/6 yrs Scheduled Maintenance
    Inspect drive belt
    Replace dust and pollen filter
    90,000 mi/144,000 km/9 yrs Scheduled Maintenance
    Replace engine oil

So I took a printout to Firestone actually and got everything done (although I should have looked at the manual maybe more closely - I also got a transmission fluid flush done at this 90k service and should have done it actually at 120k.)

But looking at the CRV scheduled maintenance info, it's trickier and refers me to the service manual:
    http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/9B0707/9B0707MAINIXA.pdf

So far, since my dad's owned the vehicle, I believe he's done everything at the dealer. The first oil change/tire rotation was free and done at 8,748 miles. at 18,083 he did an oil change again and topped off fluids and set tire pressure (they also removed a nail for $10). And again at 28,676 miles (very recently on 5/17/08) was an oil and filter change, with the fluids topped of and tire pressure set.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do and what to look for? I would prefer to do this service at Firestone instead of the dealer, although I haven't gotten the dealer's quote for the service yet. With Firestone I'm a Complete Rewards Gold member so (under the assumption I can use my card w/ my dad's card)I get a free tire rotation, brake inspection, and alignment check also. That could take care of some of the things I need to get checked out.
    Looks easy enough. Why isn't it so simple in Honda's manual? I'll print the 10k, 20k, and 30k printouts and take it over to Firestone and get the stuff done that hasn't been done yet.
  • mholmes3mholmes3 Member Posts: 2
    Once you get the "Oil Life" blinking, hold down the reset button until it resets.
    Yo, mhomles3, you obviously didn't read my query.

My post noted that I held the reset button when "oil life" was blinking.

So you're just part of the loop for me.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    So I took a printout to Firestone actually and got everything done (although I should have looked at the manual maybe more closely - I also got a transmission fluid flush done at this 90k service and should have done it actually at 120k.)

Honda issued a warning to shops not to use Transmission flush machines on Hondamatics. Since Honda Automatic is a greatly different transmission than the rest of the automatics, it is essentially an automated manual, power flushes could destroy the transmission. Honda recommends 3 successive fluid exchanges with 10 miles driving in between.

I also doubt that Firestone used Honda ATF Z-1 fluid to flush it with. This creates second potential problem, since Honda ATF Z-1 is not your typical ATF fluid. It is made by Showa oil company of Japan, and there are no reliable substitutes.

I would strongly suggest you remove whatever fluid Firestone put in there, and replace it with Honda ATF Z-1, 3 times.
    Thanks for this.

I made a post later in this thread post #5875 about doing the 30k service on my dad's 2007 CR-V. I already placed an order for the air filter and cabin air filter from HandA (I found out about ordering from there through elroy5's advice inthis recent post by elroy5 over at the honda accord 2003-2007 maintenance and repair thread.

(

Micron Air brand Pollen Filter
    Also called A/C or Cabin filters.
    Price $15.95

&

Engine Air Filter
    Genuine Factory Honda CRV Engine Air Filter
    Price $19.99 )

By handing the air filter and the cabin air filter on my own - and also recently having done the oil change - There won't be much to do for my 30k from the place of service I go to.
  • gwingeegwingee Member Posts: 54
    the link does not work for the schedule...I need a printout of the maintenance schedule..I now have 10,000 miles on my 07 CRv...when is my first service? Does something light up on the dash?????
    Does something light up on the dash?????

Have you read your owner's manual? Between your tachometer and speedometer is the maintenance minder. That's the "something" that lights up, and reading your manual will explain the maintenance schedule codes.

If you want a printout of the maintenance codes go to this owner's link website.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_schedule.asp
    The link works fine for me. If you click on the tab for under 24,999 miles, you get this link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do?step=step2&year=2007&make=Hond- a&model=CR-V&style=EX-L+4dr+SUV+w%2FNavigation+%282.4L+4cyl+5A%29&mileage=10000&- engine=4INAG2.4&transmission=AUTOMATIC&zip=02809&synpartner=edmunds

This tells you the proposed scheduled maintenance, but I believe with the CR-Vs, they are designed to adjust to how you drive (although I'm confused on how oil life would change if you were to start using Mobil 1 or something - shouldn't you get more mileage out of that?)
    yikes, thanks for the warning. I'll head back over to firestone with a printout of this post and see what they say. I've also referenced your post over on the Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair thread to help out others.

Here is the link to that post.
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    I have no complaints so far with my Honda CRV 2007 reg. pick up or on the road. Though I use mainly freeway everyday - still I manage to get only 22.5 miles per gallon - my only complaint. I already did two servicing - 7500 miles and 15000 at my Honda dealer and I am the only driver. But for few months, I having problems with my accelerator :cry: . I need to push the accelerator very hard and gets bit slow down in the middle of the highway. And the speed goes down from 70 mpg to 55 mpg and it takes atleast 1 or 2 mins to go up. It is very frustrating. Why is it? :confuse: What should I do? This is quite new to my CRV 2007 as I haven't experienced it before. Thanks for all the responses in advance.
  • hon03hon03 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem on 2003 CRV. Bulbs replaced, fuses checked to no avail. Did you find a resolution? It sounds like a pattern failure...
    Regards
    I went to my honda dealer and reported the problem. They found that the transmission fluid was running very low and hence the issue. Replaced the transmission fluid and test drove and gave me the keys back. Now it is running smooth.

I went for my 2nd services just 45 days back (1st week of May) and spent $300 for the services (15000 miles 2nd service) which includes the check and filling up of transmission fluid. I am wondering did the guys did any check or not. Is a good idea to report to Honda or the manager of my Honda dealership? Advise me.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Did they charge for filling the transmission fluid?

Yes, I'd discuss the discrepancy with the service manager. At 15,000 miles, your car shouldn't have needed any transmission fluid. New cars don't consume transmission fluid that fast. And it's even less likely it consumed any in 45 days. Was it properly filled to begin with? Something doesn't add up.

The service manager should have an explanation that makes sense to you.
    Thanks for the reply. They did not charge anything. Although I was bit upset when the service manager (SM) told me "the reason was because it was low on transmission fluid and we test drove it on the slope and now it works fine, sorry for any trouble".
    I was very polite "Is it not supposed to check the transmission fluid when I came for my 2nd service on 3rd May 2008?"

SM: Yeah, transmission fluid should have run low may be 7-10 days later.
    I: Anyways thanks for your service and fixing it.
    SM: Anytime
    I: Thanks, Bye.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Another reason I would report this to the service manager is if you end up with a bad transmission in a year or so you have proof of the reason. A new transmission will run you at least $2,000 - $2,500 and I don't think transmissions are designed to run on low fluid just as an engine isn't suppose to run on low oil. I may be wrong but I would just CYA (cover my, fill in the A)
    Don't let anyone fool you. No way, as in NO WAY, should the transmission on a one-year-old car be low. Period. At all. Not so much as an ounce of fluid. As in, AT ALL. There is a serious problem.

Ask them to put in writing two things: how low was the fluid in the transmission; and why. Then ask them again: why?

That's all I have time for now. I'll just say that I got a 2007 to replace my 2005 through a Lemon Law challenge on another problem and I would be freaking out on this.....as well as pushing it to the wall to the max with the dealer.

Keep asking questions here at this forum and then taking them to the dealer. They're going to give you answers to make you go away. Don't. That's the only way to get a true answer and remedy.

Be polite with the Service Manager. But don't be wishy-washy. You need to force the issue. The Service Manager will respond to you. You go easy, he gets off easy. You toughen up, he bends. He's playing numbers, as in lots of complaints from lots of people. You're playing the one vehicle you have.

I would be centered on one goal at this point: A new transmission.
    NOTHING, nothing less would satisfy me.

That's how I got a new car.
    I guess it is a serious problem then. I didn't think that I got a lemon reg. transmission. Yesterday while I was driving I realized it is hard to accelerate in the hill (not really a hill, but a easy highway 280 N road). I will follow up with the service manager and ask her to write down in writing. During my last visit - she gave me 2 forms - one before service - "accelerator having problems while pushing the gas while on hill" and one after the service - "transmission fluid running low, replaced and tested on hill, not seeing any problems now".

Again I will ask her or any other service manager why this happened and will report you here to seek your advise and hopefully a viable soultion is reached.

I was very easy on the service manager last time and whatever she told I just nodded my head like "is it so" and left. I need to push her this time I guess.

NEW TRANSMISSION!!!! Man, that scares me!!! How did you manage a new car?
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Anybody experience a coolant smell from the vents without the level going down? We've had a period of hot, muggy weather and I have been running the A/C without heat. The smell seems to lessen when adding heat. Could it be a small leak in the heater core or condensation? The drain tube is not blocked. Is there a way to check the heater core for leaks without removing the box? Have an '02 and didn't find anything in the service bulletins. :confuse:
  • ultra2004ultra2004 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 Honda CR-V LX 2WD, and an engine light came on. AutoZone gave me a code of P0135, stating that O2 sensor in bank 1 is having problems. In my car’s service manual, it has a name of A/F sensor. None of the local auto parts store carries this O2 sensor. Dealership told me it costs about $280, and I need to pay in front to order it. A Honda auto parts web site is selling it for about $200. Other websites says they have universal O2 sensor for my car, which costs about $50. But this universal part has no connector.
    My question is what is the difference between an OEM O2 sensor and a universal O2 sensor. Is it a good idea to use a universal O2 sensor besides the cost factor? How easy is it to re-use the existing connector? The original O2 sensor is from Denso, but I can’t find its part number. Anyone has an idea what the part number for the original O2 sensor?
    Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Byron
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I have had good luck with ordering from www.slhondaparts.com. It usually takes around 10 days or so from California. They have an on-line parts catalog with illustrations. Far as removing the sensor, not all that bad - one connector and removes similar to a spark plug. Get an oxygen sensor socket from local parts store and you should be good to go. Best to stay with OEM sensors since aftermarket ones may not provide the same voltages for the computer to be able to adjust air/fuel mixture correctly. $280 seems about right since the bosch ones are in that price range also.
  • ultra2004ultra2004 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks fussycrvowner for your reply. Actually I found an O2 sensor in www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for 187.33. I have been thinking what kind of headache I would have if I go for the much cheaper universal one. Your comment OEM sensor does make sense. I think that is the route I would probably take. I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks

Byron
  • chefchewiechefchewie Member Posts: 1
    1 the air cabin filter I think I can do it but would like to see more pics 2 the door locks on a 1999 cr-v anyone know why heat from the sun on the drivers side door would cause them not to work I tried the dealer but they cannot see the problem 3 anyone know what to do about the clock the display just went out about 2years ago and the dealers want $300 just for the clock and I have no idea what labor is thanks
  • vware1955vware1955 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 honda crv i love it 139000 miles and no problems yet the only question ihave is what is the best product to clean the outside trim and bumpers? love my honda !!!! also i just got uniroyal tigerpaw tires for my crv no road noise at all great ride.