Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

SUV vs Minivans

1313233343537»

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "In an unexpected, dramatic change in the global automobile industry, utility vehicles have emerged as one of the hottest segments, with Ford leading the transition.

Oversized, fuel-inefficient utility vehicles, once a symbol of American overindulgence, have fallen out of favor, replaced by smaller, more stylish versions, many built on car platforms rather than truck platforms.

As the middle class expands around the world, and as road conditions improve, "utilities are attractive in a lot of countries," Caldwell said. "The SUV is a status symbol, with higher seating, good visibility, and the boxy (shapes) gone."

How Ford Escape Is Taking Over the World (thestreet.com)
  • Options
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Been away, but still have my SUV suburban, and changed the 2006 minivan to the 2013 HOnda Odyssey.
  • Options
    Welcome back - brings back memories eh? :shades:
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    yep.... brings back some good memories....... lots of information and good discussions.

What happened to tidester ?
  • Options
    Tom (Tidester) passed away suddenly in December of 2010. (obit) :cry:
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    :(
  • Options
    "Chrysler, the automaker that invented the minivan, is about to kill off the second of its three minivan brands. Automotive News reports that the Grand Caravan has been dropped from Dodge's model lineup beginning in 2015. That will leave the Chrysler Town & Country as the only entry in this once widely-popular segment (the Plymouth/Chrysler Voyager died in 2003) and the only minivan made by an American manufacturer.

Minivan sales that once regularly commanded 8% of the market up until 2000 have been sliding for over a decade to their present low of 3.7% thus far in 2013. Forever associated with soccer moms, minivans have always been regarded as purchases of necessity, not aspiration. Since no vehicle shaped like a breadbox and designed to haul people could ever be stylish, their appeal was based on functionality -- and when cupholders and seven-passenger seating began appearing in crossover SUVs with greater sex appeal, their fate was sealed."

The demise of the minivan (CNN Money)
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155

Can't see a SUV over a minivan, unless you just want something more stylish. My 2013 Chrysler T/C has all kinds of features you don't have on most SU's. Back hatch and both back doors slide open with the click of a button. The two back row seats fold flat into the floor and with a steel ramp, you can get two electric scooters in it, also dressers, chest, dishwasher and etc. With the seats up you have three big storage bins. Two covered, one open and you can even but a cover for that one. You can stow a slew of stuff and keep it out of sight of those looking in to steal it.

On a 2,000 mile trip back to Ohio with three of us. I folded the two back seats into the floor and put down a air mattress so one could sleep on. Put the luggage on the other side with a small refrigerator that I plugged into a 110 plug Chrysler put on my minivan. When awake, the people in the back rows can watch movies on the over head screen. I have tented windows on my van, but Chrysler also has fold into the doors, sun screens for more sun blocking ability. So as far as I' m concerned, you can keep your SUV's, they don't hold a candle to what my Chrysler mini van can do.