Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1990 honda accord ex-r does not start after parking 1 hour on a hot day

ofer1ofer1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Honda
after driving the car and parking it for more then
1 hour on a very hot sunny day, I cannot start
the car.
The starter is very good and my gas tank is half full.After 10 minutes of trying, I left the car
for half hour and tried again and then it started immediately.
I also checked if there was pressure in the gas
tank, but there was no pressure build up.
Has anyone had this problem and how was it solved?

Comments

• Options
    lefturnlefturn Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing the main relay. Its located under the dash on the drivers side. You will probably have to remove a few other parts to find it but its not a tough job. It worked for me - good luck
  • Options
    daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    I've experienced ignition module ("igniter") failures that first manifest themselves as you describe. Their failure is usually temperature related and the highest underhood temperature occurs during "heat soak" following a hot shut-down. Once temperature falls sufficiently, the module MAY resume operation - for awhile. Those that I've had fail have been mounted in the distributor which is a thermally hostile environment. I don't know about the '90 specifically but I think later Hondas have the igniter mounted separate from the engine. Even for the distributor mounted type, the replacement is not a particularly difficult job but the part is pricy at the dealer. Even aftermarket prices vary widely, the last one that I bought about 2 years ago for an '84 Civic came from Trak Auto at a bit over half the price that Napa quoted.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The periodic problem of not starting when its hot out was experienced by my mom with her 92 Accord EX. The problem was the igniter, which is a common failure on the Accord of this vintage. Her ignition relay also failed, but when it did, the car failed to start period and had to be towed. I would say the culprit is the igniter and it can cost anywhere form $60-200 to repalce it, depending on whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Before you do any of that (good suggestions), try to have the car jumped started. If it starts right up with a jump, I'd replace the battery and see what happens.

On modern ignition systems, if the voltage is just a bit too low, the coil may not fire. And heat might affect the battery's output.

Anyway, it's a simple experiment and would prove something conclusively I think.

My Alfa did the exact same thing and that's what fixed it.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    the fuel pump is beginning to fail.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Maybe, maybe, but generally fuel pumps are either on or off, unless they are the submerged vane-type that can jam now and then. But yes, that is possible, although I don't know why it would be necessarily heat related after sitting. A fuel pump is more likely to fail in operation I would think. Still, I would include that in my diagnostic, but not at the top of the list.
  • Options
    ofer1ofer1 Member Posts: 2
    LAST TIME IT HAPPEND , 4 DAYS AGO, THE CAR WAS PARKED FOR 40 MINUTES AND WHEN I TRIED TO START IT FAILED THE 1ST TIME, BUT THE 2ND TIME I PRESSED THE ACCELERATOR A LITTLE AND THE CAR STARTED IMMEDIATELY. MAY BE THE INJECTORS ARE LEAKING?
  • Options
    79377937 Member Posts: 390
    My 86 Honda Prelude had the same problem. It turned out to be the fuel pump. Luckily the fuel pump is not in the tank but conveniently situated just in front of the driver side rear wheel up on the chassis. Take the cover off that protects the fuel pump from road dirt and next time it happens, give the pump a sharp rap with a wrench. It got my pump going every time. I of course replaced the pump but being inquisitive, I stripped the old one and found the commutator to be badly worn with a dead spot. If the pump motor stopped at that spot it would not start up again by itself. Once it was going however it kept on running. I think hot days just increased the resistance of the dead spot. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    lilfeatlilfeat Member Posts: 5
    I am the owner of a 93 Accord and I am also experiencing the starting problems on hot days. This only occurs when my car has been sitting in hot climate and seems to be related to the temp. build up inside the car. If I roll down the windows and let temp. inside cool down the car will start. The problem first began late last summer. Went all winter with no starting problems whatsoever and then problem re-occured this summer. I live in the Southeastern U.S. and the humidity is brutal.P.S. I am very pleased to be a new member of this site. The information I have read to date has been great.Other than the above mentioned problem, this has been the best car I have ever owned.
  • Options
    79377937 Member Posts: 390
    I forgot to add that when you give the fuel pump a sharp rap with a wrench, just see that the ignition key is left on so that the motor can take off if the problem is indeed a dead spot on the commutator. Anyway, this is also an area to investigate (the pump) if you are having symtoms as described above.
  • Options
    shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
    ITS THE FRAME RELAY>>TRUST ME JUST CHANGE IT MY FREIND...
  • Options
    gonzo0903gonzo0903 Member Posts: 7
    Vapor lock!
  • Options
    lilfeatlilfeat Member Posts: 5
    Shemz, where exactly would this frame relay be located on a 93 Honda Accord? How much could I expect to pay for this relay?
This discussion has been closed.