Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Prices Paid and Buying Experience

dieter3dieter3 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
I just bought a sebring convertible 1998 JX with 40.000 mls. , V6,AC, and all other stuff from my Chevy dealer
in FL. The car is in best condition, like brand new. I made a long, long, test-drive,and checked all around the car exactely.
His demanding was $ 14.999 . After 1 hour of bargain i got the car
for $ 10.800 + tax. (After i bought 2 brand new Chevy Trucks within the last 2 years, he had to make a special offer to me!) Or reduced he the price only that i can affort the next
Ultradrive transmission without problems???????

Comments

• adelmamadelmam Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Limited, candy apple red, chrome wheels, tan top, charcoal gray int, for $16,200. I was hoping to get this car for $15,500, but I just couldn't wait. Especially since it only had 18,400 miles on it. Most other 99' and 00' I looked at had between 30,000 and 40,000 miles and asking in the same price range. I love the looks of this car, I just hope that I don't have many problems. Although, I bought an extended warranty on the first day just in case. Does anyone know of a really good car wax that is easy on and easy off? And what is best to clean the leather interior?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Head over to the Maintenance & Repair board. You'll find several discussions devoted to wax, polish, and interior care.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • jimmer42jimmer42 Member Posts: 1
    Dark red with tan top. 4-2.4L, cassette, standard rims, ABS, plus the standard options. Body is near perfect - two small door dimples and barely a scratch anywhere in the paint. Top and interior are in excellent condition. Brand new front brakes and $500.00 worth of other work done right before I bought it - some of it under warranty. Paid $6700.00.

Been under warranty since new (3 year factory followed by 3 year after market). For the money, I couldn't pass it up. It's a beautiful car.
  • pat313pat313 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to finalize negotiation on subject car.

I plan to order it because I only want heated seats.

According to Edmonds Step 10 for buying cars, it warns that dealers may try to "up-sell" when one picks up their car. Any experience along these lines?
  • storchnoistorchnoi Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 LXi convertible on 4/30 (last day of the month).
    I had to search the State (fla.) for one with ABS as they are not stocked frequently. I found a white LXi with ABS, 4CD changer, and gold packaging in St. Pete (I live in Orlando). I offered $26,000, $400. below invoice and they accepted! I couldn't dispense with Destination charge or Advertising fees, but didn't pay a dealer fee. Chrysler's $1,500 rebate paid for the sales tax. Very Happy
  • jonbrittjonbritt Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2002 limited with heated seats for 28,300. I am very excited and will be picking the car up on Tuesday. I found edmunds.com very helpful when it came to working out the final price with the dealer. Also, got 2.9 financing. I feel I got a great deal.

Mary
  • bisquickjonesbisquickjones Member Posts: 2
    I paid $16,995 for a Taupe Frost 2001 Lx with 24,000 miles from a Chrysler dealer that had a ton of them sitting on the lot; I paid extra for the extended warranty. I got a good bargain. The exterior is flawless and it has the 200 h.p. engine that was standard last year and Infinity speakers. It has cloth seats, but I don't mind because they're comfortable.
  • jin_satxjin_satx Member Posts: 40
    Just purchased my 2002 LXI Convertible on May 31st. Here in San Antonio Texas, you don't find too many convertibles on the dealers lots and they don't like to discount them much. However, that said, I've got a salesman at one local dealership that I send about 20 deals a year to and he owed me a favor. Bought the LXI, list 27,125 for 25,000, subtract out the 1,500 rebate and it was 23,500 +ttl. Folks, that's a steal for such a great car, hell, I paid 22,600 for my wifes 2000 Accord EX V6 a few years ago and it's not near as gorgeous or as much fun.
    Just color me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
  • kingtut1kingtut1 Member Posts: 1
    Last week of May 02 purchased 97 w/67K very clean $11,900.White w/gray leather.
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I bought my 97 white Jxi for $8295 with 87K miles.

http://www.stanarseneaux.com/sebring/

I have put some work into getting it in the best

condition possible since it was for my wife.

I have $10264 into it so far after all repairs done including tune up, brakes and tires.

• sassygreensassygreen Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 onyx green/sandalwood LX 2.7L in April of this year. For $22,499 (after Chrysler's rebate), the car has the larger 2.7L engine, 6 way power driver's seat, cassette cd combo option, cruise control, and 16" aluminum wheels instead of the standard chrome wheel covers. It's a beauty and I love it!!!
  • noo1kienoo1kie Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a brand new 2002 Sebring LXi Coupe that was loaded! The 0% financing allowed me to afford this beauty, and the 7yr/70,000 mile powertrain warranty along with the standard 3/30K bumper-to-bumper warranty is the icing on the cake.

Even though I only have been driving it for a day (it has 14 miles on it right now) I wanted to describe my initial impressions.

The exterior looks fantastic! The instant I saw this car, I was very impressed with its looks. I am not a car enthusiast, and not knowing any better, this car would strike me as very luxurious, yet sporty.

The few criticisms I have heard about this car deal with the cheap construction of the interior. I do not agree at all. While some functions, such as the radio, are not located on the steering wheel like some cars offer today, I am very happy with how the interior looks. Taking into account the price of the car, I was very satisfied with the interior.

I love the autostick! Not knowing how to drive a stick shift, the autostick provides a great way to manually shift gears. While I wasn't initially going to get this feature, the car I bought had it and I didn't pay too much more for it. If you are looking to get maximum performance from this car, especially from a stop, the definitely get the autostick.

The only slight criticism I can find (so far) is with the driver's seat. I am a taller driver at about 6"1' and I wish the power seats would go a little more back. Still, the way it is now is not bad.

Those are my initial comments. Anybody else think similarly/differently?
    Does anyone know if the lights on a Sebring Coupe will turn off after the car is off. My old car had this feature, but I can't get the Sebring to do it.

I don't like remembering if I left my lights on or not, I wish there was a way for them to turn off automatically.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
  • leebealeebea Member Posts: 25
    I can't speak for the coupe, but on my '01 convertible - shut the lights before ignition off and lights will turn off immediately; turn off the ignition before turning off lights and lights will stay on for about 90 seconds. If you leave them on I don't think they will shut off, but the chime should sound as a reminder if you open the car door with the lights on.
    Lee B.
    Thanks Lee,

I think you are right. I was used to not having to worry about whether the lights were on or off, but I guess I know have to be more aware about it. Too bad, I hope I don't forget one time and drain the battery. Oh well, everything else about the Sebring coupe is great!

Chris
  • chriscainchriscain Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my first car this past weekend, and after much research, found one in the Dallas area. 98 JXi, 79k miles, Gold, $8,500. The car seems to be in great shape and I just pray I put my money into a winner, since I will be paying on it for a while to come. Although, I did see a few problems with it, such as the "Service Engine Soon" light came on right after I left the dealer's lot and gassed up...the dealership is saying it should be fine and that it might be from the gas cap, but I am still taking it in for warranty. Also, I can't seem to turn the fog lights on...dunno if they are out or if I'm just a little slow at car switches and buttons. Also, I have noticed a little hop in changing of gears from 1st to 2nd, but I guess, from what I've read, that's normal. So, for now, I'm happy driving it around here in Austin with the top down, especially in this hot weather. Anything I should know? Everything welcome...
  • justintjjustintj Member Posts: 1
    I paid off and still have my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic with only 36k miles, but I really wanted a Sebring convertible. So I shopped around for three months and found this car at a dealer near my house. We dickered around for a week, I am not going to buy a car when I have a perfectly good one unless you give me a killer deal, etc. It was off lease, with only 29k miles and every option except autostick and the CD changer. The traction control is pretty nice, as well as the 6 speaker sound system. The color is black, with charcoal grey interior and a black top. Didn't want a triple black at first, but it sure does look sharp.
    Whoever had the car took really super car of it, no scratches, no rock chips on the hood/nose, seats look brand new, etc. Everyone that I know thinks it's a brand new car. There is a guy at my office with a 2002 Limited Convert, and he always gets mad when people around the job say my body style is better. I have to agree, when they changed it in 2001, it looks more like a sports car than a luxury car. I paid 15,508 out the door, so I believe I got a smokin deal.
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    Anyone buying the new 03 limiteds? What kind of pricing are you getting? I am looking into them. I hear they have 1500 rebate right now. If I get them to sell it to me at invoice, can I get the 1500 and use it towards my down payment?

They also had one 02 new on the lot and he was willing to sell it to me for $100 over invoice, this was without even dickering or dealing at all, like his first offer!
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    Well, I went back to the dealership and test drove the 2003 and the 2002. I guess they are exactly the same car. The 2003 has the dark blue exterior and a 6 disc changer, full size spare/wheel, and the convenience package. The 2002 is Lt Almond with a 4 disc changer, full size spare/wheel and convenience package. He states they are exactly the same. The 2003 now has 20 miles on it (had 10 at the start of my test drive) and the 2002 now has almost 100. He says they are doing some great deals on the 2002 to get rid of them, and will be about $3,000 cheaper than the 2003 (He verbally said about 24 or 25,000).

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! They both come with 3/36 full warranty and a 7/70 powertrain. Either color is fine for me. It just boils down to why a 2003 is $3,000 more? Is there a reason for me to get the 2003?

Thanks in advance!
  • chinajohnchinajohn Member Posts: 4
    Anybody have any idea why the dealer would want me back in to sign another contract (just leased this 03 Sebring 2 weeks ago) in order for them to just now increase the excess mileage charge from 0.15 to 0.20 per mile? Think I have to, or just say no thks, I'll keep the agreement I already have in writing?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I would say "no thanks", but you better check the fine print on that contract. It may have a clause that says they can change the charge at their discretion?

Also, check out the Smart Shopper and/or FWI boards for discussions on leasing.
  • hydrapetehydrapete Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2000 JXi Sebring off lease, candy apple red, black interior and top, all the toys and 26K miles. Got it for $15,500 after looking long and hard at the new ones but decided I liked the look of the older series better. Avoiding the depreciation was also an incentive. This is one of the "Certified" cars by D-C, with a warranty of 8 years or 80K miles covering the drivetrain, as well as the balance of the original factory warranty and so far the car has been exactly what I wanted.
  • stangdstangd Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2002 LXi inferno red w/ ABS and 4 CD changer (I believe thats an option for that year). Bot for $20,100 with 180 miles, thats right a 2002 - how you say?

This was a return to Chrysler for defect. The disclosure states it was a paint problem on the right front fender above the headlight. Extremely minor. We found three 2002's with very few miles like this all with the same defect - all sold as used.

First dealer wouldn't deal, 2nd dealer had two like this and was very responsive to dealing. I feel we got a good deal, given that the in-service date was 10/29/02 so the powertrain warranty transfers to us and we have the bulk of the bumper-to-bumper left on the car. Essentially a new car purchase, but about $5000 below new car invoice.

If you find one of these, you might want to jump on them, whats funny is that the dealers don't seem to realize that the powertrain warrenty transfers when in fact it does for any car with in-service after 7/9/02.

Good Luck
  • cmengcmeng Member Posts: 26
    2002 LXi Convertible - Vinyl Top - Leather - 16,500 miles - $17,500 plus taxes. Fair Deal?
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    Few door dings & bumper smudges otherwise excellent condition. Paid $5,500. Will change oil,transmission fluid, flush radiator, etc to be safe. Runs great. Gold, with gold interior, and beige top. Need boot any idea what color came with it?
  • krimboskrimbos Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a used SEBRING. I was wondering if anyone here would like to comment on this review from Apr 03 issue of Consumer Reports. Personally, I think thier reviews are heavy handed (esp this one). I'd like to hear from actual Sebring owners.

The Sebring comes in sedan, coupe, and convertible
    versions. The sedan and convertible are based on the same platform as the
    Dodge Stratus sedan. The coupe is derived from the Mitsubishi Eclipse. The
    sedan we tested suffered from too much road noise, a lack of handling
    agility, and a stiff, unsettled ride. Access is dif- ficult, and the rear
    seat is too low to be comfortable. Emergency handling is secure, braking is
    competent, and frontal-crash-test performance was good. The four-cylinder
    engine is unimpressive, but the optional 2.7 -liter V6 provides quick
    acceleration.

Thanks

AJ
  • snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    We were quoted $26,000 drive off on a new red 2003 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI (V6 with leather). Does this seem like a good price? Dealer also offered us $25,000 drive off on same model but a gold demo with 5k miles.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I've got a 2000 JXI convertible, and am ready to replace the tires. Any recommendations? 90% of my miles are at 70 mph on the frewway, and when I am off the freeway, I drive pretty agressively.

I live in the SF Bay Area, so inclement weather isn't an issue (just a little seasonal rain).
    snsn,

Go to Carmax.com and look at their prices. I think you should be able to get an '04 for this price. Chrysler has a Bigger rebate on the '03 models. I just bought (from a Dealer) a Used '02 with 16,500 mi - LXI, Leather, ABS, Vinyl top - $17,500 plus TTL.

Good Luck with the purchase.
  • snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    Thanks cmeng. We did go to Carmax but they did not have the model in the color that my husband wanted. We actually paid $23,800+ttt, which came out to $26,000 drive off (sales tax is 7%). The dealer actually beat Carmax on similar models (in different colors) due to the transportation fee charged by Carmax.
    I don't really know what a GOOD price is. However, the best thing about CarMax is that give you a good benchmark for comparison. If you can get a better deal - and it seems that you should be able to beat Carmax - and also get the vehicle you want - congratulations on yoour new ride. It is a "top down day" here.

when asking about prices - it is almost impossible to try to compare prices when the quotes include taxes and liscenses.

Have fun with the car.

CMENG
  • topdownsebringtopdownsebring Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 Sebring convertible, LXi with 17500 miles. Green with tan top and interior. 2.7 engine, auto, ABS. Paid $16.6K. Love it so far.
    Sounds like a great deal to me. Especially if with the leather interior. I expect you will have that much fun with the car in the next few months.
  • 728mark728mark Member Posts: 3
    I want to find a low mileage, garage-kept, warm weather,(no snow / roadsalt), Limited Sebring ragtop, for myself, in celebration of my early retirement from the L.A. film industry. Any sightings or suggestions, beyond the usual websites?
  • dhermescdhermesc Member Posts: 1
    I know its not a Chrysler but there is no Dodge Stratus thread. Bought it as a lease return with 11,000, most options (keyless, power drivers seat, tilt, cruise, cd, no alloy wheels or Sun roof). Has the 7/70 power train warranty and the balance of the 3/36K bumper to bumper. Car was in excellent condition, no dings or scratches. Paid $10,500 then got a $1000 trade out of a 1992 Grand Marquis that was on its last legs - cash difference $9,500. Dealer cried about not making money but he knew I'd go down the street and buy a Taurus if he couldn't meet the price. Love the car, finish problems in the paint (not slick when hand washed)? Wax might take care of it.
  • texasredtexasred Member Posts: 1
    This is my 2nd Sebring. Love these cars. Plan to upgrade, trade or do some serious things to this one. If I can't find a righteous deal I will probably sell this one outright. Post it here, list it with AutoTrader, all of the above? $8.5 or 9k should be a good asking range? Your thoughts would be helpful.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Since most members in the Pricing discussions are talking about new vehicles, head on over to the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and post all the details about your Sebring. Several sales professionals hang out there and can help you determine what kind of $$ you should expect for your car.

One word of advice - we don't allow buying/selling vehicles in these forums, so posting it here isn't an option. Good luck!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sweet1plum2000sweet1plum2000 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am looking at a 2004 GTC CONVERTIBLE IN MAY 2005. It is still brand new with 3 miles on it. It is bright silver, V6, with cloth interior. They are having a sell on it and want $20,000. Is this a good deal? Gosh, someone please answer this question.

Thanks.
  • chief421chief421 Member Posts: 1
    I live in southern New Jersey and I am seriously considering a convertible Sebring in the next couple of months. I am willing to go used, nothing older than 2002 and nothing more than 45K miles. I would prefer a 6 cy, but a 4 would do if the price is right. Speaking of prices...any of you experts out there tell me what I should expect to walk out the door, TT&T for a 2002-2004 LX or LXi? I have seen prices all over the map. From 18500 down to 15,300 (2002 with 44K). Any help would be greatly appreciated. :shades:
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Chrysler Sebring. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • kaplan2kaplan2 Member Posts: 2
    How do I get a copy of the original warranty for a 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible? I need to determine what is covered in original for after market warranty.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Hi, kaplan2..

Try asking your question here: Chrysler Sebring Owners: Problems & Solutions

Or, here: Chrysler Sebring convertible

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• guru3guru3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Carman,
    I am looking to lease the 07 sebring touring. I have EC# and the follwing is the quote from the dealer.

MSRP $22455
    With zero down for a 36 month 12000 miles/year lease, I have been offered a lease of $308/month for sign in and drive.

What do you think about this deal. Is this a good deal. Regards
    Hi guru3. If you are able to purchase this car through DaimlerChrysler's employee purchase program, then you are getting a good deal on it. The monthly payment that you mentioned definitely looks attractive to me. I would be happy to crunch some numbers and double check the payment that you were quoted for you if you let me know what this car's selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    I am considering a Sebring Limited for lease.
    The MSRP is $28,835 with a selling price of $27,661.

Would you please give me the residual and money factor for
    24 months and 12.0m miles for above car.

Thanks much.

Addi
    Here's the information that you're looking for, Addi. Chrysler Financial's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Chrysler Sebring Limited 4-cylinder Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00284 and 59%, respectively. This car's 36 month lease program is a little more attractive at .00227 and 53%. As an added bonus, if you currently own a non-DaimlerChrysler product, there is a $1,000 conquest cash incentive on this car that will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • thibaudthibaud Member Posts: 1
    Hate this car, hate this lease, want to get out of it ASAP; however, I don't want to eat the money or be forced into another Chrysler. (Would love to get into a Lexus IS250 if poss on decent financial terms). Any suggestions?
  • smo1345smo1345 Member Posts: 2
    i have an EC# as well and looking at getting my wife a Sebring Limited (MSRP - approx 29k - Customer Preferred Package 26N).

any idea what i can expect to pay for a 30-36 mo lease (12k miles).

i also may trade in her pontiac sunfire which i am told i can probably expect around $5500 as trade in value.

The other possibility is a liberty limited. Any advice would help!!
    Hi thibaud. I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with your car. Unfortunately, it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi smo1345. Do you know what selling price you are entitled to get on this car? If you let me know what the selling price is, I can use it to calculate what your monthly payment would be if you were to lease it.

I see that you are considering trading in your current car when you lease your new Sebring. There's nothing wrong with trading in a vehicle when leasing, but it would be in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers against making large down payments on leased vehicles because those who do risk losing all or part of their money if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.