Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• drich8drich8 Member Posts: 1
    DOES THE SERVICE RIDE CONTROL EFFECT THE AIR CONDITIONER
  • brandis05brandis05 Member Posts: 2
    We too have the service stability light turn on. That does not bother us. What is really frustrating is only when we accelerate, we get this rub, rub, rub feel on the drivers side of the truck. 02 Escalade. We changed the drivers wheel bearings, new rotor for brakes, rotated tires. We have taken a few places. I hear idler arm. pitman arm.. Most want to" expirement" . That would be costly for us. Any ideas? It only happens when we accerlate, not when is is coasting.
  • delarosadelarosa Member Posts: 1
    During rainy days or whenever I hit a poddle of water my a/c compressor will turn off on its own then after a while(seems like something is getting wet) it will automatically restablish its normal function.
    I have change the Service valve/high sensor/accumulator and the compressor
    What else can I do???
    !!!!Does anyone have a solution for this problem!!!!
    It's very annoying specially in a hot place like this one (central america)
    HELP!!Help!!
  • mwleemwlee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Escalade and I'm told the flash only works when NOT in the AUTO setting. Apparently Cad decided that "flash to pass" was not safe????
    I like the ability to flash at tractor/trailers to let them know it's safe to change lanes!
  • jaxon2jaxon2 Member Posts: 5
    My 99 Escalade will randomly lose power to the windows, clock/radio, wipers, etc. If the center console is tapped/hit just right, all comes back on. Any ideas on repair/cost? :confuse:
  • editzeditz Member Posts: 4
    Hi,, I note this is an old post but I have the same problem with my 2003 Escalade with the rear door access message on, horn going off when door is locked etc. Did you ever solve the problem and if so, how. Would appreciate a response, thanks, Editz
  • editzeditz Member Posts: 4
    Am having problems with the cruise control not working at times, anybody have this problem, 80,000 miles on the car. Thanks, Editz
  • thopkinsthopkins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Escalade and since January 2009 I have been experiencing some problems with the brakes. When coming to a stop or idling , I noticed that the brake pedal locks up when I get between 1-5 mph... Prior to the brakes locking up, the truck makes a humming/growling noise which sounds like it's coming from the accelerator or somewhere in that area.

I have also had a problem with the stability system light being on ever since I bought the truck in 2007. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be, or is there anyone experiencing the same issues? I am concerned that this will be a pretty expensive fix. The truck has already been in the shop 3x in the last year. The wheel bearings have been replaced, as well as the wheel speed censor, so unfortunately that was the not the problem. Any advise or assistance would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
  • frpmanfrpman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 99 Escalade and have not been able to fix it. What did you do to fix your problem?
    Sorry, I've been in the hospital for the past 8 days. I usually respond the same day. I have been living with it since. All seems to go awry when the wipers are started. There is a module located within the lower section of the center console that may be the culprit. I thought perhaps I had a loose ground, tightened it and life seemed good for a couple of weeks. The problem has since recurred but I've not been in the best of health to further inspect it. If you do discover the solution to your problem, I'd appreciate an update. Thanx!

Jaxon
  • lambocaddylambocaddy Member Posts: 1
    my 03 ext has done this a about 5 times in the last 6mo. i have owned it..lighted lock on dash stays on car will only start for 1 sec..i have previously disconnected the battery then tufn key until light goes out and it usually starts..today it is doing what is has done before but this time when i try to start it still only starts 1 sec and the lighted lock on dash flashes 1 long and 1 fast flash and then goes out..ii dont have a remote....what is the actual steps to reset antitheft without the remote..any help would be appreciated
  • farbifarbi Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to my 02 Escalade last year. Started with the humming sound, then would automatically break the front driver side tire by itself until I would tap the brake. To get around the problem I removed the ABS fuse from under the hood access box. I too was concerned about cost, so I rode around without the ABS for a couple of months, then finally took it to a trustworthy shop and they had to replace this pump type device behind the driverside rear wheel and total cost was 1,300.00. Good Luck, hope this helps.
  • farbifarbi Member Posts: 2
    Hello All...First the driver side seat stopped working then 2-3 months later the passenger side stopped. The switches on both sides light up when pressed and I have read on other sites about a clicking noise when switch is pressed. I do not hear anything when the heated switch is pressed. Does anyone know if that means that the problem could be something else instead of the element in the seat cushion???? Thanks.
  • mother0354115mother0354115 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a beautiful 2003 Cadillac Escalde but cannot get the rear heat to work at all, it simply blows out cold air. I took it into the local Cadillac dealership service and one person told me something was wrong with it while another told me there was no rear heat in a 2003 Escalade. Bottom line I left the dealership service area after a day and paying for a rental from them with still NO rear heat. Can anyone confirm with me if the 2003 Escalade has rear heat????? There are seperate controls above the rear view mirror as well as back seat controls, everything works in different modes but only blows out cold air vents in rear.
    Please feel free to email me at [email protected].
    Thank You
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please feel free to email me...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    Trying to save others some time & headaches... You don't have to go to the dealer for a replacement rear wiper blade on the 07-09+ Cadillac Escalades. It looks like the blade and arm are one piece but if you look closer, you'll see the wiper blade can be replaced and its actually quite simple. It's a special rear wiper blade though. There may be other alternatives, but the "Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade" snaps right onto the special rear arm and looks like the factory original. You can find them online. Much cheaper than the dealer alternative and easier/less tedious than messing around with rubber blade refills. Comes with removal and replacement instructions too. Hope this helps.
  • ricadricad Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Escalade's low beams work as running lights however, when the twilight function turns on the headlights, the low beams don't work. I have to use the highbeams to drive at night.
  • jmmommyjmmommy Member Posts: 6
    I am seriously considering buying a 2007 Escalade. I am worried about mechanical issues. Comments?

How can I get information on what I should really be paying? 33k.
    Thanks
  • scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone know how to get the high brake light off the back of the 03 Escalade?? I looked at my wifes Sat trying to get it off?????? Pulled the two end screws and clips off the hinge's, but it seems like the thing is glued to the back window. It only has three bulbs inside burned out. Just wanted to see if there is a way to replace just the burned ones and not the whole unit. Unit is around $80.

Scott
  • escaladefanescaladefan Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am having the same problem with my 03 escalade, i was wondering if you ever got any awnsers on this heating situation. Its annoying not having rear heat, so any info would be very help full. thanks
  • mother0354115mother0354115 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately not, I had it into the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation the other day and talked with them about it again (for the 3rd time). I am fed up with this dealership for many reasons (pretty sad when its a Cadillac dealership) a new dealership opened locally for Cadillacs so I am going to try taking it there hopefully within the next couple of weeks. If you find anything out in the meantime please let me know.
    Thanks
  • jay84662003jay84662003 Member Posts: 1
    The problem with your rear heat, is most likely an actuator that is inoperative. I took my 2003 tahoe to the chevrolet dealer just recently and thats what they replaced. Now i have rear heat.
  • kasmirkasmir Member Posts: 3
    After I had the differential replaced my problem also continued. The next thing I did was have the transfer case replaced. Another HUGE expense, but it fixed the problem. People keep telling me that I need to trade, but have way too much $$$ invested to do that now! Hope this helps.
  • bigtruck2002bigtruck2002 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for such a quick response. I'll try and replace that first thing tomorrow. Hopefully this will finally resolve the grinding/growling/whining/clunking noise. I guess after that if I have any money left in my account I can spend the extra 3,500 they want to replace my slipping transmission as well. By the time I finish with all the repairs I will have spent just as much for repairs as I did for the truck itself. I might as well have bought a 2007 at this rate.
  • ssteinbachssteinbach Member Posts: 1
    4 O2 sensors. They cost on average $150 per. I had mine replaced at a shop, $1,000. They don't look too hard to get to but it mentions needing a special tool.
  • jerry44magjerry44mag Member Posts: 2
    My escalade has 50k miles on it and for some reason the tach just quit working..by that I mean it randomly sweeps up and down, sometimes it just lays there, etc. I have heard rumors that there might be a campaign on these & if not, is the dealer the only place to purchase (what I have heard) the replacement cluster. Thanks
    edited April 2010
    That ramdomly occurs with mine. More often than not the power windows, radio, wipers, etc. also cease to function. When the center console was slapped, all would be okay. I removed the console and a module the size of a pack of cigarettes is located within. I tightened all connectors, thinking a loose ground was the culprit. That was last fall. Although I haven't driven it that much since, it has yet to show itself. (I hope I'm not tempting fate!). I do not know if this is a dealer only part or if an aftermarket version is available nor do I know the replacement cost or even if it is the source of my problem. Chances are it is!
  • karpenisikarpenisi Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem.I changed the rear auxiliary control module and i solved the problem.After, you need to recalibrate the system.If you need more technical help
    feel free to ask me.
  • regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    I have an '07 Escalade with only 41,000 km. Recently the brakes have begun to shudder, when applied. Is this normal to occur so soon? I also have an '07 GMC Denali pick-up with over 60,000 km and no brake problems yet.
    The Escalade is still under warranty. I know that brakes would not normally be covered under warranty but when this happens to soon might they be covered?
    Replaced $300 DEALER ONLY module. Problem corrected. :sick:
  • carolincarolin Member Posts: 1
    2002 Escalade with about 125,000 miles. no off road. Tires good. inflated to 30 psi. After warm-up of maybe 40 miles, when we enter a parking lot (for example)
    A chugging noise comes from the front axel area when making a gentle turn. The similiar sound as a 4 wheel on hard surface with the hubs locked. Does not always happen. And I can't make it happen with a really sharp turn.
    Our service garage says "Oh, The diffrentials and transfere case fluids need changing" $375.00 and we still have the same problem. I'm hesitant to take the car back to them without knowing more about the system myself!
    I know the car has an automatic stability system but I don't know how it works or if that has anything to do with it.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • mrsradcliff32mrsradcliff32 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    when i put it in drive it takes off really slow like its bogging and then my gages go back and forth and it doesnt act that way all the time i dont know what it could be
  • syouflansyouflan Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 2000 escalade today. My dream suv. But It blows cool air in both front and rear. I charged the system but no change. Blower is good. Switches work good. I can hear the compressor engage and disengage.. what else could it be
  • andrew56andrew56 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Cadillac since new. I never had any problems with the truck until recently. When the brakes are cold in the front at low speeds the brakes will lock up or are extremely sensitive. However, once the brakes warm up they function fine. I brought it to the dealer and they can't figure out the problem but they they have stated that there is a problem. I just can't afford to let them search for the problem while I pay for the labor. I can do the job myself but need to know where to start or reach out to see if anyone has witnessed this problem. I am thinking of starting with the pads as there is no pull in the front end when applying the brakes. If the problem still occurs with the new pads I would move on to the calipers and front brake lines. At this point I don't think this has anything to do with the rear brakes. Any help will be appreciated.

Andrew
  • andrew56andrew56 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a bad evaporator...
  • tyourichtyourich Member Posts: 1
    i cant get the tail light assembly out to check the bulbs i took the two screws out of the side an i missing something?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    REMOVAL PROCEDURE
    Disconnect the lamp electrical connector from the lamp assembly.
    Remove the nuts from the back of the bracket.
    Remove the lamp assembly from the bracket.
    Remove the 4 lens screws.
    Remove the lens.
    Remove the gasket.
    Remove the bulb.
  • moreybabymoreybaby Member Posts: 1
    My husband & I just bought our 2002 from a private owner 6 months ago. 2 months later, our escalade started making chugging noise from the front axel when we make turns into driveways & parking lots.

We took it to Bergstrom automotive and they said the bearing hub is broken & needed to be replaced or else accidents may occur in the near future. Cost us $650ish just for the part and another 1k for labor.

I think your problem is the same as our's. Good luck. ;)
  • chesttnuttychesttnutty Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Escalade EXT AWD (bought new) that I simply love. Best vehicle I've ever owned and I am 65 years old. I treat it like a truck, not a limo. No oil leaks, ever. Change oil & filter every 6,000 miles ,+/ - . No more ON-STAR, though (analog model) .
    It has 164,585 miles on it, and, besides tires, I've only had to replace the battery (two months ago) and had new front brakes/rotors installed (I live on a steep hill and use low gear) two years ago. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on and, when diagnosed, battery replacement was indicated. Put new battery; problem resolved.
    Now, light is on again, and indication is one O2 sensor needs replacement. I used 85 octane gasoline when I drove to Minnesota three weeks ago (I live in Calif.) with an octane booster, as I've done in the past. Would that have affected sensor ? And, would that indicate that the other three sensors are bad, also ? How does the diagnostic meter know which sensor needs replacement ?
    If I do the work myself, how do I know if it is three wire or four wire, as there is a myriad O2 sensors for the 6.0L Cadillac engine ? Even 1 & 2 wire.
  • chesttnuttychesttnutty Member Posts: 2
    Has problem been resolved ? Might try checking wheel bearings and stabilizers, wheel alignment, especially, if like me, you installed bigger size wheels other than standard 17" wheeels and tires.
  • lenjen248lenjen248 Member Posts: 3
    We are having lots of problems with our 2003 Escalade. The rear heat quit working, we get a "Service Ride Control" message, and the dvd screens quit working (but we can still hear the sound). Has anyone had any of these problems?
    Also the front seat heaters have quit working.
    The check engine light is also on. We've had it in to be serviced, but came home with all of the same problems.
  • vajohnvajohn Member Posts: 8
    Had service ride control message couple of months back. Turned out to be a $500 compressor.
  • semidredsemidred Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I am the owner of an 08 Escalde ESV. Previous to that, I was the owner of a 07 Escalade. Also an ESV might I add. In both vehicles, I've noticed when the side mirrors are folded in, I get a melt mark on the black plastic piece that's holding the mirror up against the vehicle. It's the piece that is right next to the window itself. The longer the sun hits it, the wider the melt spot gets. Anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks :shades:
  • semidredsemidred Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all. I've had an 07 Escalade ESV and currently have an 08 ESV. In both cases, I have had the same problem. When it's sunny and the side mirrors are folded in, I get a melt spot on the black plastic molding that is right next to the front windows. It seems that sun is reflecting off of the side mirror when folded and magnifies then beams on the molding causing it to melt. The longer the sun hits it, the bigger the melt spot gets.This is both a defect and definitely a safety issue. I would like to know if anyone else besides me have experienced that problem? Thank You :shades: :sick:
  • ohiostate1999ohiostate1999 Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the switch I can hear the wiper click once, but will not work. The washer fluid still works in the back. Anyone have any suggestions or estimate to repair?
  • telsatelsa Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2003 Escalade and purchased new, did better than regular maintenence. The front differential noise kept getting louder, so I took it to the dealer under warranty. They said the noise was normal, so after 58K I SOLD IT AND BOUGHT A TOYOTA.
  • dzzheredzzhere Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have an 02 EXT and I'm having a problem with my front end shaking with I turn sharp to the left. It feels as if though the wheel is slipping. I've had this problem before back in 07 and had it fixed but lost the paperwork so I forgot what they fixed. Would anyone know anything about this? I'm hoping to narrow the problem down so I can possibly buy the parts and fix myself.
  • chucknorris1chucknorris1 Member Posts: 1
    O2 sensors are pretty easy to replace. The diagnostic meter sends an electrical pulse to each sensor to see if each one is working. It will tell you Right bank one is faulty (or something along those lines) Hope its the second stage (easier to get to) Just go to your local auto parts store and they will give you what you need.