Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade Maintenance and Repair

12346»

Comments

• conanleboskeyconanleboskey Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems with my 2003 Escalade. The seat heaters stopped working as well as the clock resets to 12pm everytime we get out of the car. Im worried Im gonna get into some serious problems if I have it looked at. Did you find out anything with yours?
  • jaxon2jaxon2 Member Posts: 5
    Most of my problems were with my 99. Power windows, power doorlocks, clock, Bose audio, wipers worked intermittently. Needed to replace module contained within the center console. It controls about 10 functions and some would work while others would not. Dealer part only. (Not available as aftermarket). About $300. Twice that if dealer installed. :cry:
  • bedrock4bedrock4 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Escalade service stability system and ABS light came on.....Does anyone have any idea what the cost might be to get this resolved? I have over 200k miles....The ABS still works fine... At this point I am not sure what options I have.

Thanks in advance for your help
  • sdf3sdf3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 09 Escalade brand new a couple years ago. Currently has ~28000 miles. So far I have had both front shock sensors go bad which took about 5 trips to the shop for them to figure out what was wrong - kept getting the "service suspension system" warning; there was a problem with the steering column that required a $1300 trip to the shop (under warranty); and now it is in the shop for not starting. The battery is good. Some service bulletin about the starter turning on the rear seat heaters and it interupting the starter (or else leaves the rear seat heaters on- that's what they told me anyway). They installed a software patch and called me to come get it. Got to the shop and it wouldn't start again. Left it there and they called a couple days later saying the starter was bad. They replaced it and called me to come get it. It didn't start again when I showed up (This time the Cadillac service guy said he was embarrassed). It is still at the shop now and has been a couple days since I have heard anything. I also have issues every once in a while with the speakers shutting off, the windows auto-up not working, and the side blind zone alert system shutting off all the time. I don't even want it back anymore. Is this normal? Anyone else have all these problems?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2011
    Not "normal" but the Escalade hasn't gotten good reviews from a large portion of the automotive media---at least not from what I've read.

When you say "not starting" do you mean the engine cranks but doesn't catch, or that it won't even crank?

Maybe I or your regular host here could look up if there is a TSB or other info on your particular problem.

VISITING HOST
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    sdf3,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance, have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Two recalls, one for electrical problems and one for the fuel system.

Looks like over 30 Technical Service Bulletins have been issued for various problems.

2009 Cadillac Escalade (Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide).
  • therickerthericker Member Posts: 1
    Iam having the same problem with my 02 ext only has 35000 miles on it I replaced the rear shoes that were burned up.Its still dragging any ideas?
  • jake5_28jake5_28 Member Posts: 2
    My husband bought my a 2002 USED Cadillac Escalade and I am having problems getting it to stop sometimes. The pedal is all the way to the floor and there is grinding at me feet. He took every thing off and nothing seems to be sticking. My brother in law said something about a brake system was recalled some time in the past on some vehicles. He is a certified HYUNDAI mechanic and he was kinda stumped on the hole thing. I NEED HELP as soon as possible.
  • jake5_28jake5_28 Member Posts: 2
    My husband is also a certified mechanic and he is pretty stumped on the whole thing. I have searched googled it several times. Come up empty JUST LIKE THE SCAN TOOL. I think it has something to do with the SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM. My husband said maybe if he disconnects the ABS system it will STOP WHEN I want it to and not when it wants to. Maybe there were recalls or IT NEEDS TO BE. A 2002 is not very old. It only had one owner. The more I drive it the worst it gets. And I almost crashed in my garage door last night.
    TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-007D

Date: May 01, 2009

Subject: Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface)

Models:
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
    2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2003-2006 Chevrolet Express
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
    1999-2006 GMC Sierra
    2001-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
    2003-2006 GMC Savana
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic
    2003-2006 HUMMER H2
    Supercede:This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 Silverado/Sierra Classic models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-05-25-007C (Section 05 - Brakes).
    Condition

Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction

Measure AC voltage and clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
    2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor connectors at the frame and harness.
    3. Place a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) across the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector.
    4. Rotate the wheel clockwise approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. If the reading is less than 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel speed sensor. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
    5. Plug the wheel speed sensor bore in order to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.
    6. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, scotch brite, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion.
    7. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor.
    8. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (in Canada, P/N 89022218).
    9. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (in Canada, P/N 993037).
    10. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
    11. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.
  • bfanbfan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 ext and experience this activation upon acceleration under 18kph. I shut down the traction control or take foot off accelerator then re accelerate after noise and vibration stops. I've had 1 speed control sensor replaced but dealership can't find fault codes. Do all dealerships have access to this bulletin 03-05-25-007D? I've paid too much so far to take it in for another no fault found diagnosis.
    Yes they all have access to TSB information.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Bfan,

If Customer Assistance can be of any service to you as you seek to have your vehicle concern resolved, please contact us via email with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your vehicle’s VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jedidiah012jedidiah012 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same issue with my 05 Escalade, no warm air from the rear vents, but fully functional controls and normal function in the front system.

What is the auxillary control module, where is it and how do I recalibrate the system?

Thanks
  • jrosanderjrosander Member Posts: 1
    I have to deactivate traction control every time I start the truck otherwise it activates every time I accelerate from a complete stop. Any answers?
  • birdsillbirdsill Member Posts: 1
    I also had a problem with the brakes on my 2002 Escalade. The front speed sensors get corroded by the salt that is put on the roads to melt the snow. They need to be taken out and cleaned or replaced with new ones. There is a recall, but for some reason the '02 Escalade is not on it, so you will have to pay for it yourself. I tried to argue the point with my local Cadillac dealer, but to no avail! You can print out the recall notice from the internet and it will explain it in more detail. Although, the grinding is not a symtom of this problem, so this might be something else. Grinding usually happens when your pads or shoes are worn down and you're metal to metal with the drums or rotors. Hope this helps!
  • katzookatzoo Member Posts: 2
    I have followed the posts and threads on the undercarriage rust issue with GM. I own 2 Cadillac escalades. I purchased Escalade brand new in 2007 and another purchased in 2008 which I traded my 2002(also bought brand new) in for the brand new 2008. Within a year the brake rotor rusted completely and peeled and warranty replaced. Again, within a year another set of rotors or rotors and brakes rusted out, now on third set of rotors were replaced, again under warranty as dealer said GM has had rotor issues. Each time escalade was taken to the dealer for all work. Now, for a year we have had a nightmare with undercarriage rust. Entire frame is rusted, ignition coils rusted out and were replaced, both manifolds and heat shields rusted so bad the bolts busted when they tried to replace them. The lines have rusted out, all replaced under warranty but now with 29,000 miles on this escalade the warranty ran out in November. I am fighting with GM, and due to go to court in January. Has anyone gone thru the court process and can weigh in what the result was? With only 29000 miles the vehicle is unsafe to drive. An expert looked at it and said it is the worst case of rusted undercarriage he has ever seen. I know this is a metallurgical issue with the 2008 frames as my 2002 and 2007 with 73000 miles has no rust. The 2008 frame, undercarriage, hinges, even the brackets under the hood are rusted and bubbling. I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that has been in and out of strip jobs, off road in mine pits, sits next to the escalade in the driveway each night and not a bit of rush anywhere and it has 196000 miles. I am contacting the NHTSA and filing a complaint and holding my breath for what the outcome will be in court as the GM experts will testify that there are no rust history with GM undercarriages. The Sierra 1500 posts are living proof that there is a metallurgical problem and GM should step in and do a recall. I have photos that tell the whole truth. Wife doesn’t even drive it when the roads are bad, wont go on ice and minimal salt came in contact and it was always thoroughly washed. There must be an issue with the 2008 escalade frames and undercarriage. any thoughts? Heard GM offers no warranty on undercariage rust, Is That True?
  • cradosecradose Member Posts: 3
    I know this was a while ago that you posted this but by chance did you find anything out about your situation? Just yesterday my 2002 will go forward but not into reverse. I had someone say that it was the band for reverse within the tranny..wondering if you had any solutions given to you?
    My 2002 will go forward but all of sudden with no issues will not go into reverse? Has anyone had this happen and if so did you find a solution?
    Definetly get it checked out before you purchase a model. When it comes to the 2002 cadillac escalade seriously don't waist your time to many issues...possibly not at first when you buy it..but eventually you will be better off NOT buying a cadillac escalade!
  • kellymacdkellymacd Member Posts: 3
    I need help, we just got this 03 escalade (with suposely 109.000 miles on it), 2 and half hours away from home, got on the road.. about a hour and half in the road... check control center light came on , the low oil pressure came on shortly after,........ we got off the high way, trying to find a gas station.... the car had smoking coming out of the distribuitor and died, we turn on again and a lot of smoke came out of the distribuitor. We got to the gas station, my husband put 2 quarts of motor oil in it, we think that the previous owner just didnt change the oil or maintain the car at all... it appeared that no oil was in it, we made another hour on the high way, the warnings on the dash ware there still. Getting off of the high way, at the stop light... the smoke came on again off the distribuitor, the car died again, we turn on ... same thing happend all over again, well , we made it home. Now we are worried about what could be wrong with it, we dont want to go around spending money and have this to keep happening. I was thinking about having it fully tuned up (by our mechanic that comes to our house)... then taking it to a shop to be put on a computer.
    I would love to hear your advice on this. Thank you in advance.

(sorry any miss spelling, I am from Brasil)
    hi, i want to add that the dam [non-permissible content removed] guy... put a small battery in there, it needs a bigger one. thanks
    I need help, we just got this 03 escalade (with suposely 109.000 miles on it), 2 and half hours away from home, got on the road.. about a hour and half in the road... check control center light came on , the low oil pressure came on shortly after,........ we got off the high way, trying to find a gas station.... the car had smoking coming out of the distribuitor and died, we turn on again and a lot of smoke came out of the distribuitor. We got to the gas station, my husband put 2 quarts of motor oil in it, we think that the previous owner just didnt change the oil or maintain the car at all... it appeared that no oil was in it, we made another hour on the high way, the warnings on the dash ware there still. Getting off of the high way, at the stop light... the smoke came on again off the distribuitor, the car died again, we turn on ... same thing happend all over again, well , we made it home. Now we are worried about what could be wrong with it, we dont want to go around spending money and have this to keep happening. I was thinking about having it fully tuned up (by our mechanic that comes to our house)... then taking it to a shop to be put on a computer.
    I would love to hear your advice on this. Thank you in advance.
  • isaac9isaac9 Member Posts: 2
    I know that this may have been a while, but I was wondering what happened in your chase, cause I'm having a similar issue where I'm hitting the gas, and the car does not move, and I tried all shifts. I also have a 2006 Escalade. Love that car, but I'm not feeling too good about it right now. Someone said it is the Tranny, someone else said it may be the Gear Shift Linkage. So not sure what to do. Can you please tell me how yours turned out?
    Good morning isaac9,
    I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're having with your Escalade. Are you planning on getting this looked into? We're happy to look into this further with you if you like.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • isaac9isaac9 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I did have it looked at by one Transmission shop, and they said it was the transmission, but I do not trust mechanics, so I do want a second opinion. How can you assist me without me having to sell my soul?...lol
    isaac9,

The following is our process:
    We would set up a Service Request through our department (would need your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership). If the transmissions shop you visited was not one of our dealerships, we would have you set up a diagnostic appointment with your preferred dealer (would involve a diagnostic fee) for them to look into the vehicle and determine the source of the transmission concern you're having. From that point, we would look at what it would take to repair the vehicle and we would consider any available options. I can't promise up front what the end result of the case will be, but our priority is to resolve any concern that you're experiencing and have you leave satisfied with your vehicle.

If this sounds like something you are interested in pursuing, please send the request information to [email protected] and we will go from there.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dms1815dms1815 Member Posts: 2
    I realize your message in nearly 3 years old but what did you ever find out about the service stability system issue? I too have the rub, rub feel and my service stability light randomly comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • dms1815dms1815 Member Posts: 2
    I realize your post is a few years old. Hopefully you've gotten rid of your Escalade. I'm sure ready to get rid of mine! I'm having the same problems with the brakes locking up and the growling/grinding noise. What did you find out about those issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kasmirkasmir Member Posts: 3
    The problem with my Escalade was the Transfer Case if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.
    Good afternoon dms1815,

It looks like you've already gotten some feedback from kasmir; if we can look into recall or warranty information for you, or if you would like for us to be involved in the process of you working with a dealership to get this looked into, please send the last 8 digits of your VIN as well as a brief summary of the situation to [email protected]

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jstwoodjstwood Member Posts: 1
    What did you do to fix this problem? We have 1 low beam that keeps going out.

Thanks.
  • kelelakelela Member Posts: 1
    :cry: My drivers side front brakes randomly lock up and make horrible noise right after stability system active light comes on on my dash? have had it checked dealer cannot find any issues, also the air works great but no heater, when I turn heating system off, we actually feel heat coming out?
    any one have any Idea?

Thank you
  • thefalcon79thefalcon79 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

i have Escalade 07, and my problem started three weeks ago while i was driving on the highway the radio went off for a moment and then back on, and a message "Stabilitrak off" began flashing...
    however, i went to the dealer trying to fix the radio disconnecting problem with no avail. no one could help me to diagnose and fix this problem!

then, while i was driving home (thre days ago), the doors locks began locking and unlocking, chiming, warning lights, and the vehicle became unstable/normal...
    at that night i went home and google any info regarding to my escalade problem till i went through some posts here and i figure out that it could be from the ground cable connected to the battery.
    finally, i fixed the ground cable myself and everything (till now) is fine and the car back to normal...thanks God and to you guys.

now my problem in the message "Parking assistant Off", it's still comes on the board, and the Parking Assistant Button flashing...

any idea how to fix it?

pls help, guys

thanks
  • brandis5brandis5 Member Posts: 1
    No, never figured it out...we have put at least 80,000 miles on the car.. p
  • megbowman3megbowman3 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I have a 2002 Escalade, which has approximately 120,000 miles, recently the ABS started to engage on dry roads. I noticed it slightly at first then it became a problem and dangerous. I pulled the ABS fuse and have since had no problems. However, due to the seasons changing, I do not feel safe driving it without ABS, not to mention my dash board is lit up like a Christmas tree. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, and is there a cost effective fix, or should I just give up and start searching for a new car? I also had new brakes and rotors installed May 2012, and have only put 10,000 miles on since, could it be a problem with the new brakes (dealer installed/furnished)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • todd2002todd2002 Member Posts: 1
    When starting in park (initially turning key) I hear a 1 time clunk. Not sure if it's a pinging noise or ?? If it were a stick shift it almost sounds like a throw-out bearing noise. Purchased in Oct 2013 with 100K on her. Runs great ! After a 2,500 mile trip (used 85 octane) the noise started as described above.

Has the 6.0. Drove South to sea level from Vail CO. Would the change in altitude have anything to do with it. Do I need to make any adjustments regarding the fuel system etc. Next fill up will be 91 octane to see if that helps. If you want to copy me also pls do. [email protected]

Many Thanks,

Todd Keleske
  • ypypwypypw Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2000 escalade 4WD. We bought it used, has been running wonderful. Started stalling and stalling completely out. You could let it sit for a few minutes and it would crank, at other times it would not crank back. Thought it was the fuel pump so it was replaced yesterday. Ran fine for a little bit and now it's started the same thing. It will automatically crank now though when it stalls out. I can smell gas very strong. Any and all help would be appreciated.
  • vetteman62vetteman62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Escalade that I purchased new and it has been the best vehicle that I have ever owned that now has 109,000 miles on it. In the past 6 months or so I have had severe idling problems. Always starts perfectly and idles correctly until I place it in drive. Then it wants to take off by itself and actually will go 50 mph without my foot on the gas. Had my mechanic connect to my ECM and he drove it and tried to find anything wrong but cannot.Today I replaced idle air control valve for the 3rd time. Before my problem went away but it will not this time. I actually have to shift into neutral to slow the vehicle down. When it stops, the idle is still at about 2000 rpm and takes awhile to idle down to about 600 rpm. When I shift into drive the idle immediately increases by itself and will eventually reach about 50 mph. We have sprayed everything trying to find some kind of a vacuum leak but there is none. Because of this problem I have not been driving it very much and would like to find the problem. I have not seen on any of your posts about this kind of a problem so I am wondering if somebody out there can help me.
  • fst2011fst2011 Member Posts: 1
      Hello, Can someone please take time to help me out. I tried searching online but don't understand what I need to do.

I ran the diagnostic and I got the following:

Only the Middle (amber) blinked 4 times, then stopped and the red light blinked few times... then back to blinking the normal ON-OFF-ON about 2 times.

I could be wrong but I thing the amber blinking means "reverse input wiring". What is this and what does that mean? Can I fix this code?

I know the last one...the red means the driver side corner sensor is bad but this amber "reverse input" has me confused.

Any help would be AMAZING