Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Vitara Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• reamsreams Member Posts: 2
    My transmission was repaired twice when brand new and was replaced with a rebuilt one around 13,000 miles. I have had problems with the rebuilt unit since.
    2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara
  • tomw4tomw4 Member Posts: 2
    HI
    I have a Vitera (Escudo)2L V6 with 55miles and there was a rattle noise coming from the top I remove the rocker cover and the timing chain is loose and I looks like the engine was striped before, found on the web this could be the tensioner any ideas welcomed
    tomw4 :sick:
  • yesyesyesyesyesyes Member Posts: 5
    Hey all - I've got a 2001 Vitara with a factory CD - radio - clock. The manuel came with an extra part concerning the "new" clock-radio. But it has been lost. I've pushed and held every button in every combination I can think of.

It has a column on the left with an eject button then the pwr/vol knob and then the rcl/tune knob. The main portion has four rows. #1 is the CD entry/exit space.
    #2 is the am/fm button, then the cd button, then the lcd screen.
    #3 has three button/switches 1-2 is prv/nxt, 3-4 is rev/fwd and 4-5 is rdm/apt.
    Final row #4 is a button/switch, seek left or right, then and audio button, then a up or down button switch.

Anyone know how to set this clock? Thank You.
    ~David
  • tomw4tomw4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I had the well documented timing chain problem and I have found out
    1.My Japanese import 1996 v6 2l escudo same engine as 2.5 vitara 2.5 x7
    2. change oil regularly with 5w30 to avoid problem
    3..Tension no 1 is the week link
    I now have a tuning problem since changing the chain the electronic tuning had to be adjusted a lot I should not of had to go near this as the Engine was perfect before changing the timing chain any ideas
    Tomw4
  • howardkentuckyhowardkentucky Member Posts: 4
    Press the "DISP" button on the right side of the unit.
    Under the "track/tune" there are two buttons, one pointing right, the other left.
    Hiolding DISP, press the left button to change the hour, the right button to change the minute.
    Thanks HowardKY but I don't have a DISP button that I can find.
  • turtlegirlturtlegirl Member Posts: 2
    If the baldes are very delicate it would be no surprise that they might be bent from highway air flow etc....My 2000 GV 4x4 is having an issue with the condenser not turning; which the mechanic told me Suzuki posted a bulletin on the AC unit. I guess they are not making the AC units the same becasue of probs with the intake hoses and clamps. They are now using a two hose system? I haven't found the bulletin yet to read up on it but at this point I am hestitant to bring it to the dealership. I took it in last year for probs with the AC and they said that it needed a recharge ($120) then afte that still not working, they said it was a blown fuse....
    Now this year - the hoses/clamps are bad because of poor design.
    So it going to be approx. $1000 to be cool...In CT, I do a lot a driving for my job and sometime have to take it on dirt roads....Summers get pretty hot here.
    So I guess I will have to replace it. Anyone else with similar AC probs?

By the way - for tires - I recommend Falkin ZE-512.....
  • gvimercatigvimercati Member Posts: 1
    hi fritzz,

I too have a Vitara with similar oil leaks, the Vitara i have is a 92' 1600cc, i have dropped the entire front axle to replace the sump gasket (which is the liquid type) thinking that was the issue... but the oil leak slowly came back... so i took it to a shop where they took out the engine and changed all the seals. It has now been back to the mechanic three times, and he is stumped. All i basically wanted to know was if you have had any luck since this post. I will endevour to search the web for people who have had similar issues and i will inform you on any progress,

cheers
  • fayebellfayebell Member Posts: 2
    I have an '01 Grand Vitara and when I start it smoke billows out of the exhaust pipe. I took it to a Vitara dealer. They said the seals needed changing and it was a big job removing the top of the motor. I took it to an independent repairman, he told me the same thing. He replaced the seals cheaper than the dealer and it is still smoking. I took it back and he replaced the guides. It is still smoking. Does anyone have a clue as to how this problem can be fixed????
  • fayebellfayebell Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get your clock set?
    Fayebell
  • sookiesookie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Vitara Limited Edition and it's a special car, so special we can't locate the spark plugs to change them? Anyone find theirs? Somebody please help me???!!!
    I had to get some work done - So I asked the dealer to set it. I still don't know how tho. Thanks...
  • robbo2robbo2 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone out there show me the light and tell me how on earth the top comes down on this thing!!bought witout a handbook(duh!) and im too dumb to figure it out!!i can lift the front quarter and the rear window comes out brave n handy,but the middle,important section is thrownig me for 5!!!help!!oh n wheres the bonnet release catch!!
    :blush:
  • harold3harold3 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone experiencing hot starting problems or cut out when hot. Go to Tracker forum and check message#1090
  • sambatsambat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Vitara V6 which has done 44,000 miles and is a bit of a "rock and roller" on the road. I am not sure if this is normal as I have had the vehicle a few months.
    I would be interested to know if anyone has done any suspension mods to their GV in order to make it more stable and handle better on road.
    (UK)
  • scar_bellyscar_belly Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with the diesel combustion system needing to be replaced at the first and second service of 7,000km and 15,000km (5,000 and 10,000 miles)

I appear to be having the liquid in this sytem contaminated by a blue/green liquid which in turn corrodes the insides of the system.
  • pnurplecpnurplec Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 grand vitara that I bought new. The transmission and the AC unit had to be replaced around 30,000 miles. I had to fight with Suzuki to get them to cover the cost as the warranty had just expired (0f course). :mad:
  • pnurplecpnurplec Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 suzuki grand vitara and last dec i also rear ended a mini van going about 40 mph. My airbag did not deploy either but the front of my car was badly damaged. The transmission and AC were destroyed and the engine moved forward '3 inches' and it took nearly 2 months to get my car back from the body shop bc 'suzuki parts are hard to get'. BTW, while my car had to be towed, the mini van drove away with minimal damage. :sick:
  • gamecocksgirlgamecocksgirl Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a barely used 2002 Vitara from Saturn and I've been driving it around and I tried to put on the cruise control, but it doesn't seem to work [either that or I just don't know how to do it]. So how do you do it? Thank you so much! :o)

-- Mary Catherine
  • bootprintbootprint Member Posts: 1
    Press and Hold the up/down keys in the lower right corner. If I remember rightly Up is the hour change and down is minutes.
  • davidat19davidat19 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one and i cant get the bl**dy roof down either!!!! The bonnet catch is in the glove box .

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • marcbcfcmarcbcfc Member Posts: 1
    hello im over in EN-GER-LAND
    IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HOLD OF THE WASHER JETS FRONT AND REAR AND ALSO APETROL FLAP AS MINE IS RUSTING THRU

CAN ANYONE HELP
    THANX
    :cry: MARC
  • alexb2alexb2 Member Posts: 1
    RE GRAND VITARA V6 99' AUTO - I AM EXPERIENCING A SMALL NOISE INTERMITTENT WHEN MOVING OFF FROM START OR AT ABOUT 30 MPH 2OOO REVS - SOUNDS LIKE GEARS / PRESSURE MAYBE ?THE GARAGE HAS TOLD ME IT IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT COULD BE THE HEAT SHIELD WHICH CAN EASILY BE SORTED ANY VIEWS?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Welcome to Edmunds.com Forums!

In the future, please refrain from posting in all capital letters. It's difficult to read and appears a though you are SHOUTING.

Thanks for your cooperation!
  • beno_jxbeno_jx Member Posts: 1
    hey all... im 16 and i have a 89 model vitara soft top and ive had some engine work done...ive had my block and head decked, a 25 65 cam put in, a holley and a new cold air induction...my car is punchin out a compression ratio of about 9:1(new standrd wrx's are 10:1)...im installing a new 2 1/4 inch exhaust with a 3 inch tip and im in the middle of my already $2000 stereo install :) the only problem with the high compression means i cant run a turbo or supercharger...the colour is a custom bright orange which looks hot...im hoping to put it on the dyno in the near future...i am also removing the front drive shafts and diff...pics coming soon i hope

peace out all...happy drivin
  • lucerolucero Member Posts: 1
    i own a 1995 suzuki vitara. there's a new "noise" I noticed under the hood. it seems to come from somewhere on the left side (facing the engine, and the exhaust pipe on the right). probably the box where the air intake meets the manifols. it's like a "whirr" of a small motor. thanks for any advise/comment
  • botolphsbotolphs Member Posts: 1
    Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to change the valve stem oil seals on a V-6 Grand Vitara (1999) without removing the heads?
  • micky237micky237 Member Posts: 1
    hi,guys from england :) ,i have just brought a grand vitara 2.0 diesiel which is 2 years old,i have not got a manual for it yet as the garage i brought it from dont have any in stock.
    i was wondering what is the button that is by the auto gear box lever with the words HEAT on for ??? it also lights up when you press it,i dont know what it does can someone let me know please :blush:
    Thanks Micky
  • twosheltiestwoshelties Member Posts: 2
    We just picked up a 'new to us' vitara and I have been unable to figure out how to set the clock - your information on how to set the clock is much appreciated!!
  • twosheltiestwoshelties Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2001 vitara jx complete with a soft top. I have since picked up a hard top that comes with a rear defroster on the rear window. The wiring harness from the hard top seems like it should connect in the rear corner of the passenger side but there is no matching harness on the car. Does anyone have any experience connecting up to this harness and is it easy to locate under the trim??

Thanks!
  • 4kster4kster Member Posts: 49
    Here is a method that I have seen successfully used on American V8's:

A spark plug sized threaded adapter that is attached to a high pressure (100 to 125 lbs) air hose is threaded into the spark plug hole and the air pressure is maintained until that cylinder is completed. The key is finding a valve spring compressor that will slip under the valve spring and over the spring cap while the head is attached. The air pressure holds the valve in place while you do the work.
    If you accidently dislodge the valve from the seat it could fall into the cylinder and it's a done deal. Your will have to pull the head.

Of course, you will have to have the rocker assembly or cam removed (I'm not familiar with the valve train on this engine) so that the cam cannot open the valves when the air pressure pushes the piston down to the bottom of the cylinder.
  • losemymindlosemymind Member Posts: 5
    Any ideas on how to remove this. We were picking up some diesel in a jerrycan and it tipped over. The seal gave way and made a puddle of it in the back of the minivan. Any ideas of getting rid of the stink? :sick:
  • zukimockzukimock Member Posts: 28
    Hi everyone,

Obviously I'm new here, and I drive an '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7. I'm having a problem with my keyless entry system not working on occasion. 95% of the time it works, but on occasion it is just totally dead so I have to manually lock and open my doors. Any idea what is causing this? I also noticed when it does act up, there is no beeping noise with the key in the ignition and door open. (You know, the noise that warns you that you left your keys in the ignition.) Could this be related? I hope someone out there can help me figure this out...
  • vitara_lennyvitara_lenny Member Posts: 1
    Please can someone help!!! I am looking for the electric mirror relay. Does anyone know where Suzuki hide this little item on the Vitara 1993 model? :mad:
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if they sell a clutch fan for a 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7?
  • hayden4hayden4 Member Posts: 1
    My college daughter purchased a 2002 Grand Vitara in Feb 05. (Against our advice) One month after purchase a rear seal, bearing, and plate had to be replaced. The dealer did cover this repair. However, the car broke down 20 miles from home this weekend. After several phone calls with the dealer (they initially refused to take the car) they have informed us it is a broken axle. A broken axle??? Do these things usually "just break?" Can it have anything to do with the replaced seal, bearing, and plate?
    It is obvious that the dealer that sold you the vehicle as-is knew there were problems. That's why it is always a good idea to have a mechanically inclined friend to look at a used vehicle before buying it or hire a mechanic to inspect it for you. Sorry to tell you the bad news....
    Sorry Bootprint - I can't hold both button in at once, it's either left or right. I've moved to a different time zone and need to change it again.
    OK! I got it! It's just TOO easy. Thanks Bootprint.
  • beroeberoe Member Posts: 1
    I own 2001 Suzuki Vitara.I installed remote control car starter.It works good,but I want to extend the crank.For this reason I have to connect one wire to the "car's tach(tachometer) wire under the hood." I don't know were is this car's tach wire.Shood be negative side of the coil or tach output of the coil pack.Does anybody knows were is this.
  • rideless81rideless81 Member Posts: 1
    My 99' has a blown rear axle seal, and the dealership wanted over $3,000 to repair it. I didnt have it, so someone referred me to a mechanic, that after 4 months still hasnt fixd my truck. He claims the whole rear end would need to be replaced, because the axles are welded together. I dont know anything about cars, but I went underneath the truck myself and saw bolts that held everything together, which to me seem to be easy to remove. Is this the only way to go, or am I being dupped? :lemon:
  • rnsvitararnsvitara Member Posts: 2
    A parking light on the '99 Grand Vitara has blown, and the manual says to take it to the dealer because you have to remove the grill and headlight assembly. The local non-dealer mechanic says it will take him about an hour - and the GV needs an inspection. Anyone have any experience removing the grill and headlight assembly? Any tips? Or just take a sledge hammer to the thing?
  • rsvitararsvitara Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, I recently bought the 2dr 2002 Auto Vitara Soft Top, but never got the manual, and I've a couple of queries I was hoping someone could help with.

1. The button beside the gear selector what should this be set for for normal driving and what should it be set for for going off road.

2. I can take the back down easily, but the front piece of the roof I'm not sure if it should just fold back and be secured by yhte strap or am I missing something.

Hope you can help :-)
  • krist_eroskrist_eros Member Posts: 7
    U must not replace the car 4 a failed seal, period.
    Yes, the rear half shafts inside the rear axle come out and they are not welded together because they must rotate independently. Your best bet is to consult a manual for this car.
    kris
    hi all
    2001 Grand Vitara V6 90km.
    Recently, I experienced twice a nonstarting engine.
    1. with 30C cold
    2. With Humid and cold weather. LI, NY.
    The engine would not start initially, then I persisted crancking and eventually it started but running rough for a while and then it was back to normal.
    The Battery and starter are good.
    I cannot think what this may be but it seems that it may be something with the GVs.
    I would appreciate if any1 has a suggestion about this problem.
    thanx kris
    No, rear axles dont usually break.
    However, there is a possibility that the failed seal leaked the rear end oil and the gears run without oil and got damaged. An indication of a damage as such would be a noisy rear end even if the oil is restored.
    A broken rear axle to me is an axle that does not move.
    In this case u either replace the axle internals like the differential unit, or the whole axle from a junk yard.
    good luck
    if the sledge hammer will resolve ur problem, do it!
    However, 2 remove the grill is easy but u have 2 b careful u dont break it.
    The grill is snapped fit on the car with these plastic retainers:
    4 black retainers r on top, remove them.
    2 retainers r at the ends of the grill under outer edge of the lights and 1 in the center right above the bumper there may be 2 more at the end of the grill right above the bumper.
    I took a wheel lug iron and with the wedge end I pryed between the inside of the grill and the frame sheet metal after u remove the top retainers
    The bottom retainers stay on the grill.
    Once u remove the grill, then it is easy 2 remove the light assembly.
    good luck
    kris
  • cmybassetscmybassets Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have a 1999 Vitara that the radio stopped working. I wanted to check if it was the fuse but cant figure out if it's under the hood or under the dash. Tried to contort myself to crawl under the dash with a flashlight but gave up. Didn't want to take it to a mechanic unless I have to. Any ideas????
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I have a '01 2.0 manual 4dr 4wd that all of a sudden refuses to idle, at least some of the time. It starts fine, fast idles fine and when warm when it usually idles about 7-800 rpm it idles toward 0 and of course dies. No check engine light, it is inconsistent and I've kept up with all the filter, plugs and oil changes. Any help!
  • rnsvitararnsvitara Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I did almost exactly this, minus the tire wrench. I used some dull wire cutters and maneuvered them behind each of the clips and pried them out a little at a time. You were right on the money about how it all came apart. I had the sledge hammer nearby, though.

The real trick was to wait until it was warm enough so I didn't break the plastic retainers trying to get them loose.

Thanks.
    Ron