Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Vitara Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• workingman6workingman6 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to keep the back door from rattling when you hit any bumps? Every thing seems to be tight.
    2001 Suzuki GV.
  • cdodge04cdodge04 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a vitara with 21565R16 tires, my question is if i drop down to a 15 inch tire would i see an improvement in gas mileage? and what size 15inch tire should i look at getting?
  • thorshamthorsham Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with a '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara . works most of the time. I've had the dealer look at the problem but when I get there its working. They've looked into it but have no idea why they work most of the time but for that 5% they don't. They have replaced the batteries in both remotes but still acts up.
  • floridabellefloridabelle Member Posts: 1
    Have had this car a year; now has 62,000 miles on it. She needs a new serpentine belt and while having worked on, wondered about Timing belt. You guys are going to love this: one mechanic said the car had no timing belt, one guy said it would need a new chain at $700, and one mechanic tried to argue with me that the 4 cyl had a 1.5 engine (it has a 2.0). How frustrating/scarey to be a woman and trying not to get ripped off these days. So question: Does it have belt or chain? When does it need to be changed? Serpentine belt is squeaking, mostly on the high humidity days we have here at the beach. Advice please!!!! :confuse:
  • 4whlskir4whlskir Member Posts: 1
    2004 Vitara. Left the rear view mirror light on and it drained battery down. I was able to start on 2 try but CD player ejects CD and wants to constantly eject with engine off and creates Err message in the tuner display. I current have a CD stuck in 1/2 way to keep the CD player from doing this. Radio works fine. Really wierd. Also have a odd rattle that sounds like it's coming from left side beneath the side door. More noticeable when I make a left or right turn
  • duckfan1duckfan1 Member Posts: 1
    The timing chain on the 99 Vitara is gets changed when it breaks. That should be at around 250,000-300,000 miles. There is however a plastic guide inside the engine that's a wear item. When it starting to go bad, the engine will make a rasping sound on a cold start. As the engine warms, the noise will go away. Hearing that sound is no reason for panic, just get it fixed when you get a chance.
  • muckerzmuckerz Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    I've got a 97 TD Vitara, and the clutch went wrong on friday.
    I press the clutch down and the car just wont go in to gear.

I can get it into gear by stopping the engine and putting it in gear and starting the engine again... but the car just moves away by itself then without me touching the accellarator.

Any help would be muchly appriciated.

Many Thanks

John :sick:
  • malone21malone21 Member Posts: 1
    please can anyone tell me how to turn off the engine light which I think indicates that thejeep needs a service... I am selling the car and do not want to service it before selling... stingy I know... but that is life.... thanks
  • vigrad98vigrad98 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 04 suzuki grand vitara V6. Going to work this morning car would not go over 50, had to pull over and call for assistance. Had car towed, mechanic looked at it and stated it looked like oil pump. They towed it to Bill Gatton Suzuki for them to look at car. Vehicle has 7 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. First they said it was a bad oil filter put in wrong from oil change. Then they came back saying a leak around the houseing unit for the oil filter. They also said it was threaded wrong when oil filter was put in. If it was thread wrong, then it would have lost the oil back in November when the oil was changed. They suggested belts need to be changed, my husband said to replace them. They were planning to replace the problem under the warranty. They sent my husband to get a rental car. Then they called and said you can't get a rental car. We can't approve. They were saying something was more wrong to the engine then they thought. Jeff one of the service reps for Bill Gaton was telling this all to my husband. He said a general district manager would have to approve this to be fixed. They wanted all maintence records for service done. I have always had oil changes done on vehicle and now they are trying to say a bad oil filter has caused my problem. This has happened on Friday and they have left us with no resolution. I am going to have to take off work to make sure something gets done with my car to repair it. I bought this car since it had that extra protection of a powertrain warranty. I thought it wouldn't hurt to have. I passed up a honda for this car. I now am regretting passing up the honda. Did they fix your car since it was under the warranty?
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Sorry Muckerz,

This response is probably too late to help. I have an 2002 5 speed Vitara and it has a hydraulic clutch. What you describe is symptomatic of a low on fluid clutch master cylinder. The clutch slave cylinder down by the bell housing is probably leaking. If it's a slow leak you could refill the master cylinder (under the hood) and get by for a while.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    They also said it was threaded wrong when oil filter was put in.

Vigrad98, if they were saying that the oil filter was cross-threaded that is virtually impossible. Oil filters spin on by hand very easy. To cross-thread a filter would require a filter wrench and the installer would have to fight it the entire way on. Just not possible. I don't think it could be done even with a filter wrench without damaging the filter housing. Therefore, the old filter is evidence and the damaged threads would be visible.

Even Honda's need their oil checked. And, Honda had its own set of problems with oil filters. The filter gaskets were sticking to the filter housing and pulling off the old filter. When a new filter was installed there were double seals that leaked oil and caused engine fires when oil leaked on the exhaust system. Apparently the fires started before the engines failed.

Ask the dealer to see the old oil filter. If they say they threw it away ask them why they threw away their evidence since they cannot prove what they say.
  • doug58doug58 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a new 2006 Grand Vitara. My wife and I love the car. When driving at night the head lights seem to cast a shadow half way up the windshield. Everything is bright below the shadow but dark above. It's difficult to see when driving on a country road. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    My 07 Grand Vitara has the same headlights that offer a limited line of site.

I keep the high beams on whenever I can. I live on a country road where deer crossings are common.

I think the headlights on the 06 and 07 GV's were poorly designed.
    My old Ford Pickup had much brighter headlights.
  • wannadanzwannadanz Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Just bought a 99 Suzuki Vitara Automatic 3 door 2 litre (1955cc)without a manual. I can't find the oil gauge / dipstick.
    Please advise where it can be found and any other crucial instructions/facts regarding maintenance to keep it running beautifully as it is now, what revs should it reach before taking it out of overdrive and when to use the power buttom option on the console? Thanks. Maureen
  • wannadanzwannadanz Member Posts: 4
    any suggestions where I can download a manual from the net for a Suzuki Vitara 1999 automatic 2L 1955cc - getting a little hard to find one locally in Oz.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to look at Free Maintenance Manuals or Owners Manuals.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 7thcavalry7thcavalry Member Posts: 2
    I got a 1995 Suzuki JLX Estate Vitara at 177,000 KM mileage, test everything fine but I noticed when I am driving (normal power) and Overdrive is turned on (no light indicator)on the display panel, when I accelerate past 30 to 40kph range...the OD display turns on then it decelerates...as if Im going to 2nd gear on manual but after a few seconds it recovers and goes back perferctly fine.

What do you think is the problem? do I have to switch off the overdrive and switch it on when Im traveling at higher speeds above 60kph?

Sorry been used to driving manuals, first time I used an automatic.
  • rxv2562rxv2562 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All -
    I am planning to buy the 2007 Grand Vitara and i need to get some feedback from people who own this vehicle.

- How good is the reliability ? Any major issues that owners have face
    - How many mpg in city ?
    - Is it a worthy investment or better to invest in Honda Crv or Toyota Rav 4 ?

Thanks all
  • bm000092bm000092 Member Posts: 70
    First with its permanent 4wd, locking center diff, and 4 Low, it is more a 4x4 than an SUV, it will use a little more gaz than the other SUVs. So if you don't need this capability it may not be the wisest choice, myself I needed that and its towing ability as well.

Reliability, I now own it since 20 months, have over 30000km on it, no problem to declare, I just had to do periodic oil changes. I would say that the quality built is as good as the CRV ot Rav4. Most of the problems that owners are reporting is sometime rear end missalignment from factory and very few rare case of small vibration at 60mph from the drive train, some very few rare case of Rav4 have reported the same (often called drowning).

MPG in US gallon, my city average is 19mpg and 28 on the highway.

To get a CRV or Rav4 as well equipped, it would have cost me near 6000$ more. But keep in mind that I'm planning to keep it for about 10 years, so resale value is not an issue for me, the resale value of the Suzuki is less than the CRV or RAV4. If you plan to keep it let say 2 years , with higher resale value, the initial $$$ when buying a CRV or RAV4 may not be that bad at the end.
  • gibstergibster Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning all,
    I have a 1999 Vitara that I am having light problems with. Currently, my instrument panel and rear running light (along with plate light) are not working. I replaced the fuses and bulbs but still no lights. Brake lights and front headlights are working just nothing else. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    I have been told that it could be the sensor and it also could be the wiring. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks in advance to all who help.
    Brian
    Tampa, FL
  • vitara4mevitara4me Member Posts: 35
    Hello everyone. I called Suzuki of America corporate office to discuss my ongoing issues and I was told by a rather rude individual to "pound sand". In other words, Suzuki said that there is no way that they will buy back my vehicle, or give me another vehicle. :lemon:

Oh really? You sure about that? :lemon:

Well, I have found a very nasty Lemon-Law attorney that has dealt with Suzuki before, and told me to start looking for my next car, because Suzuki is at fault, and is liable for my loss. :lemon:

I'm sure glad I took pictures and documented everything, including all my warranty repair invoices, showing miles and date/time in service. I even recorded all my phone calls to Suzuki of America and all the dealerships I have dealt with. (four Suzuki dealerships in my area have gone bankrupt and shut down). I now have to drive 35 miles to the nearest dealership. :lemon:

I'll let you know how it turns out. :lemon:

Regards, Vitaranot4me :lemon:
    :lemon:
  • tklovelltklovell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara that has developed two strange problems. 1st is it will not go into reverse. The second is electrical. The car sat for a while but when I tried to start it nothing happened. I changed the battery and still nothing, not even dash board lights or brake lights.Any advice?
  • rh080550rh080550 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Vitara with 90,000 miles. Recently the brake light began coming on only during left turns. Any thoughts??

Thank you!
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    The brake fluid is low so when you turn it moves to the side in the fluid reservor opposite where the level sensor is and makes the light come on. Check the level, but just remember it is a closed system and you should never have to add fluid unless there is a leak somewhere. The fluid goes down as your brake pads wear but, never below the level that sets the sensor off.
  • troyantroyan Member Posts: 9
    My 2002 Grand Vitara is experiencing little or no heat. This is something new because it always had heat. The Rad is full and the overflow tank is at the normal running line hot... The local parts stores say the thermostat is an OE only part. This vehicle is 6 years old!!!!... How can something like a thermostat be a Dealer item only? Maybe it's not the thermostat?... I need help AND heat....PLEASE
  • grousegrouse Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if you've been answered but - it has timing chains (2) not belts and they don't (shouldn't) need replacing at 62K. If you change your oil when it gets dirty - short trips do this- they should last at least 125k. Squeaky serpentine belts seem to be the nature of the beast, I changed mine recently around 60k and 5k later when I start it they squeak. It was the same with my 90, 95, and now my 03. They are pretty good vehicles but I can't brag about the dealers. My local one is a crook. Gluck.
  • ncjenncjen Member Posts: 1
    My 99 GV 2x2 is ideling rough. Has 70K miles, have had for 5 years and had no previous problems. I do hear the timing tensioner rattle, but from what I understand it's a thousand I can save if I just put up with the noise. Any suggestions on what this roughness problem could be?

Thanks
  • kengonzkengonz Member Posts: 1
    just got a 2000 grand vitara.1st day was fine second day there is a puddle of tranmission fluid looks like it came out of top of dip stick. any ideas anybody. :confuse:
  • branwenwbranwenw Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Grand Vitara. Recently took it to the mechanic to diagnose distinct ticking on the front passenger side of the engine. Was told it was the timing chain, that there are three, and anwhere from $800-1600 to fix. Under warranty, so took it to the dealer. They replaced the timing chain. 8 days later I'm back at the dealer, this time the ticking is coming from front passenger and driver side of the engine. They replaced the tensioner. All is well until the next morning, very distinctive ticking from the front center part of the engine. Drove it back to dealer. They now tell me this is normal for the age of my car and it's the valves and will go away when the car heats up. I asked how long that takes and was told a couple minutes. Well, I drove it to the dealership which is 45 minutes away, and when I got it there both the service manager and the mechanic at that point told me it was the timing chain, but the service manager I've been dealing with tells me this is no problem.
  • dllldlll Member Posts: 1
    Twice I had the problem with my 99 Vitara. On the control lever behind the dash the connectin has a very weak plastic ring/clip. It breaks easily. The first time the clip was replaced with multiple clips at a dealership. They lasted three years. This time I had the repair done with metal clips which were welded (non-dealership service). Hopefully your problem is as minor as mine. Just annoying.
  • chriscameronchriscameron Member Posts: 1
    Wal-Mart broke off my dipstick when they changed the oil last and didnt let me know...I changed my own oil today and couldnt tell from the manual how much oil to use - it looks like 4.4 quarts. HERE'S the question: I have a 2000 Vitara 2.0 stick-shift, 4x4, soft top, 2-door with broken dipstick...How many quarts of oil do I use, and do I use one less iff putting SLICK 50 in it? Thanks.
  • jebeland0jebeland0 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Suzuki Vitara, when I brought it to the mechanic he said it was a cable that came loose, he put it back in place and it worked immediately. It did manage to come off within a week of him fixing it. He put it back in place and my heat has been working like new ever since. I noticed that it was not working earlier this year.
  • suzanneg1suzanneg1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, It looks like it's been a while since you wrote your posting...
    Did you ever find an answer to your question. What ever happened?
    I have an almost exact situation.
    Thanks,
    Suzanne
    Hi,
    Were you ever able to fix the problem? My 2000 Grand Vitara is having the same problems.
    Suzanne
  • branwenwbranwenw Member Posts: 3
    Two mechanics had told me it was the timing chain. The dealership replaced a gasket. Two days later it was back in. This time it was the tensioner. Two days later it was back in for the same noise. The third time they determined it was a generic oil filter. They replaced the filter with a Suzuki oil filter, and the noise appears to have disappeared.
    Thank you for responding. I'm glad your car was fixed.
  • coder03coder03 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking for guidance on the installation of fog lights on my wife's 2008 grand vitara.
  • bvvitarabvvitara Member Posts: 1
    IS THE POWER STEERING FLUID RESERVOIR LOCATED AT THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT NEAR THE COOLANT OVERFLOW ?
  • gemstonegemstone Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    On suzuki-forums.com some guy posted pictures and instructions for fog light installation. But read down because another person said there is no need to remove some parts he says to. Good luck. I was also told that taking it to a car stereo installer is another alternative.
  • daveyboy3daveyboy3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a rattling noise coming from my 2.0td i cant seem to locate it can anyone help me
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Front, rear, side, going around corners, driving straight, type of road when doing it, louder with windows opened, stereo on or off????

A bit of info might get you some real answers.
  • tarubtarub Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Im from the Philippines and I recently acquired a pre-owned vitara, 98 model auto trans. My concerns is that on idle speed, my dashboard vibrates terribly. It feels like your driving a worn out diesel engine truck.
    What could possibly be wrong? does it have to do with my idling?
    Also, the airconditioning is weak. Replaced my expansion valve, condenser and the sysyem cleaned too but its not cold enough. Any advise on what to do, thanks
  • pinger1pinger1 Member Posts: 1
    At 90k miles and uses 3 qts of oil in 500miles..no leaks.Only blows whitest smoke going up the mountians.runs fine otherwise.Is it time to junk it?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    White exhaust means that water or antifreeze is getting into your cylinders and is likely due to a failed head gasket. Your engine is probably overheating and serious damage is possible if it's not taken care of.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • diamondsmama40diamondsmama40 Member Posts: 1
    my 99 GV is missing while in gear and running down the road , it is also missing while idling now . up until today it wasn't a constant thing . I have changed the spark plugs , the fuel filter and added injector cleaner to it , to no avail . I am also getting a horrible rotten egg smell when it does this . help , it's the only transportaion i have and i can't afford to buy another vehicle .
    (horrible rotten egg smell ), most probably your catalytic converter is clogged.
  • ewelshewelsh Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i have a 2002 vitara and the radio quit working. The clock display still works when the button is pushed so i think i still have power???? Cant find a blown fuse or not looking in the right spot. Can you help me?
  • kizzukikizzuki Member Posts: 3
    My lights began to pulsate more than usual and then the blower didn't work. I replace the blower motor less than a year ago , and thought it may be the resistor, so I changed it. That did nothing. Found the "defrost" fuse blown and replaced it and it began to work, but fuse popped after about 5 minutes. Checked the blower switch and it crumbled into pieces, so I unplugged it, put a new fuse in and still it POPPED! Lights got worst so changed the alternator and solved that light problem. Put another fuse in and all seemed good, but after about 10 minutes(you guessed it) POP! The trouble with this is, the same fuse controls the blower switch as well as the auto light feature. Need to fix, cold now and have no heat!! A :sick: ny answers????? Not an auto electrician by any means and like everyone else can't afford one either, so any help is appreciated!!!!
    What year is your Grand Vitara ?
  • lonestarboblonestarbob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 grand vatara and the other day, I went to go from air conditioner to heater and it would not go to heater. Then I heard a noise under dash or somewhere and heat appeared. Now when we turn the air conditioner on no air just high heat. the little car on dash is blinking and all I have is high heat and no other control of heater or air conditioner. Can you explain and tell me how to fix this problem?