Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    I think I need to repost and clarify my question about the 17" low-profile tires on the 2006 Sonata LX. I've heard that they ride rougher and noisier than non low-profile tires. I'm interested in the Sonata LX, but if I find that the low-profile tires do ride rougher and noisier, can I change them (at my cost) to 17" "normal" tires without damage to the car or the wheels? Thanks.
    Bob D.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if I find that the low-profile tires do ride rougher and noisier, can I change them (at my cost) to 17" "normal" tires without damage to the car or the wheels?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No. Since a higher profile tire would affect the tire diameter, you would have to go down to 16" wheels.

You shouldn't have to pay a penny. Many ask the dealer for an upgrade to the pretty but rough-riding 17's, so there should be a surplus of the 16's. Don't let them try to tell you otherwise.
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    I'm still messing with the driver seat comfort.
    Am afraid to buy the LX since it gives me the neck pain.

Just learned that the headrest adjusts forward and back, not just up and down.
    But have not been able to find out how far back it goes.

I sit straight against the back of the seat, so the headrest should be just barely over the back.

The dealer said I should turn the headrest around.
    And my husband said just take the headrest off and not have one.
    I'm getting really irritated with this kind of help!

Need you all again.
    Suzanna
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    Just learned that the headrest adjusts forward and back, not just up and down.

The head rest adjustment has 3 Positions. To adjust lift the head rest a little (make it easier to adjust). Put one hand on each side of the head rest, then tilt it forward or backward into one of the 3 positions and let go... it clicks when you tilt it forward or backward.

The dealer said I should turn the headrest around.

I don't think he knows what he is talking about!
    How far back will it go?
    Did you change your's or was the factory default fine?

Thanks,
    S
    How far back will it go?
    Did you change your's or was the factory default fine?

I would say there is 3" difference at the most between Far back and front.
    I think it comes with far back set.
    However, the top of the Head Rest curves forward ) .

I am not that tall, and all positions are comfortable to me.

It is very easy to test all positions to see: just tilt it to the desired level and try it.

Sit in the back seat and play with it, to get familiar with it and set all positions... all it takes in that position is a light push with the thumb on each side to advance it to the next level!

To reset it, all you have to do is tilt it all the way to the front and let go... it will go far back.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Is there really a "default" position :P

Turn them around, or take them off, who would even think to suggest that, as it can cause serious injury. My 1986 Dodge Colt came with these same type of adjustable headrests, all cars should feature this!.

I find the Sonata to offer total comfort. If only the memory seat and side mirror setting was offered, as in the Azera :cry:
  • navotinavoti Member Posts: 17
    You can however get low profile tires that are more quiet. Check Tire Rack reviews.
    My husband drove the Sonata tonight while I was in the passenger seat.
    I think it is wind I am hearing through the door.
    Didn't feel anything, just the sound.

How do I check if the door is leaking or is this a typical sound at 55 mph?

Thanks,
    S
  • pickle1pickle1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2006 Sonata that has a windnoise on the passenger side when going about 55 mph or faster.
  • readonlyreadonly Member Posts: 25
    We have just gotten a 2006 Hyundai sonata GLS I4, auto.
    My wife told me that she felt there is some vibration when
    she drives on the Houston tollway Beltway 8 (I guess that the road is not very flat with some slight bumps or somthing). Is it normal for a new car? Thanks
    Please keep in mind that we didn't pay 35K-45K for the Sonata... therefore don't expect it to have the same properties as a BMW/Mercedes.
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Look in the past posts for Pruoff and SLM1. We have 2005 4 cylinder Sonata with a vibration problem. As you will read we have not had a resolve from Hyundai about this problem. Let us know how it goes for you.
  • kscalzokscalzo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 without a remote and mine has always done the same thing but now mt drivers door won't open at all. The key will unlock it but the handles won't even work
  • jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    Any permanent resolution on your door buzz?

My driver door is now "buzzing" after only 800 miles on the car. It seems to be coming from the top left portion of the door near the frame (from inside looking at door). I wouldn't expect any wiring to be at this location but even with a firm pressing I can't completely eliminate the rattle. Any suggestions?
    I would hate to have the dealership take the door apart and screw up something else. It's making me crazy so I guess I'll have to have them fiddle with it.
    |---------|
    | | < window
    | |
    |------------|
    |X [-] | <X = rattle [-] is interior handle
    | | < door trim
    |------------|

I have a future in design don't I?
  • readonlyreadonly Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the reply. Regarding the vibration in my wife's 2006 Sonata GLS I4, I am not quite sure of it, since I am out of town these days. My wife said that everything is OK except on the rough road. I contacted the
    Hyundai dealer we bought from, he said that it might take a couple of weeks to make the car break-in. We might wait and see. Next month after I am back, I will take a drive to see what it happenes.
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    I know it has been several months since this posting, but I have just (I think) resolved the radio spook. Unfortunately, I backed out of my garage before the garage door was completely open and my antenna hit the garage door; needless to say it bent the antenna. I had to disconnect the power antenna in the up position so that I would have reception, until I repaired it. I have since removed the antenna and it's motor and replaced it with a "fixed" antenna. My radio is working fine, so therefore, I have to blame the power motor for my radio spook??? It's been two months and I have not had 1 glitch with the radio. Just "food for thought" for anyone having a similar problem and have a power antenna.
  • druid_medbdruid_medb Member Posts: 2
    There was a recall on 2.5 liter V6 2000 Sonatas in 2000 for a problem with intermittent low-speed engine stalling, caused by the MAF sensor electrical signal being interrupted as a result of engine vinration. I haven't seen any recalls on the 4cyl though.

My car had this problem recently (it is a V6) and had 80000 miles on it. The dealer charged me to fix the problem, I only found out months later about the recall. Now I am fighting with them to refund me for the repairs.
  • druid_medbdruid_medb Member Posts: 2
    The silver paint on my 2000, V6 Sonata has been flaking off the plastic parts (the mirrors, handle/lock area, and side). I was told by someone else who owned a silver hyundai that hyundai used the wrong type of primer on the platic parts and that is why it is flaking so badly. the problem started in 2001 and now the paint is almost entirely gone on these parts. I wash the car myself by hand and do not wax it and I have been parking it in a garage since I bought it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I took it to the dealer a number of times and am told that there has been no recall for this problem.
  • vibrovibro Member Posts: 2
    I have noted similar vibrations, I also have an '05 2.4L, with auto.
    Am taking in for wet/dry compression test.
    Sorry 'bout that, got your specs.
  • vibrovibro Member Posts: 2
    I have similar trouble with vibration.
    Mine was manufactured 11/05/04.
    Sorry 'bout that, got your specs.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    My Buzz is coming from the exact area!. Most Dealers will simply tell you they can't duplicate it, and wont pull the panel. I lucked out at a brand new dealer who had an immediate afternoon opening for servicing. Got to love that, instead of having to be there first thing in the morning. So now the noise, like wires scratching seems louder but occurs less frequently. :) And yes, there is always a good chance they will mess up things when they rip a panel open. Other than that, the Sonata is awesome. I thank this Dealer for at least doing the work that other dealers just blow you off, or charge you for. The bottom line, I'll can go back until I am satisfied, I am happy that the Dealer made this effort, and will do so again. Let us keep in mind, it's an American Hyundai with some of those same ol' Korean parts :D
  • ndgracendgrace Member Posts: 2
    My car was manufactured 11/11/04. I am still having trouble. I believe im just getting the run around now. I am told the car is perfect, but yet service claims that they changed a few things. I'm not sure i believe that they even took the car out for a road test. I no longer have any trust for Hyundai.I am in N.J. any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Looks like there is a growing list of us with not only the same car vibration problem but the lack of resolution to the problem. Please continue to post on Edmunds. I am beginning to think we should all band together. I have not thought of exactly what yet but if we all get together maybe we can get the problem solved. What state do you live?
    In my experience, engine vibration problems are often gasoline related. Have you tried another gas station?

I had a car for 11 years, and except for 5-6 tanks of bad gasoline, it ran silky smooth. The first time it started running rough, we thought it was something serious. By the 3rd episode, we finally caught on. The last couple of times my wife would say "I got some bad gas again!". It always cleared up when we ran the tank empty and got gas from a trusted station. YMMV, of course! :)
  • swt66swt66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 4 cyl. with 72,000 mi. For about the last 2000 mi., the CEL light has come on and the engine runs very rough at times. I have brought it in twice and was told the first time that the vapor recovery valve was broke probably because I topped off the gas tank too much. The second time I was told that the gas cap was loose. The CEL came on again, went off and is now back on. The dealer is sticking with the loose gas cap theory, but I know that is not true. When I say that the engine runs rough, what I am saying is that it suddenly feels like it is running on 2 cylinders. It chugs, misses, and has no power. This might last for 1 mile or 3 days. Then it is gone... only to return again. It happens at all speeds. Sometimes I cannot maintain 65 mph. because there is no power. Then for the next 200 mi. it runs just great. I believe that I have ruled out bad gas by purchasing from different reputable stations (after running the tank almost dry). Anyone else experience this?
    What is concidered bad gas? I have only used BP in my car.
    Please tell me what is bad gas.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    Some gas stations don't keep their under ground tanks as clean as they should. The tanks get excess water and other crap in them which sometimes mixes with the gas as it goes in your tank and then your car doesn't run the way it is suppose to. Most brand name gas stations are pretty good, but some not so high volume stations have this problem.
    What is concidered bad gas? I have only used BP in my car.
    Please tell me what is bad gas.

Gas is stored Underground in big metallic tanks... as they age they are prone to collect more dirt/rust and specially Water (mostly from condensation), which mixes with gaso;ine and then goes in your car!
    I always try to stay away from old gas stations... it is easy to tell which one is old and wich one is new/newer.
    The station brand is really not that important... very busy stations are usually better; because they refill their gasoline almost daily!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Starting with the concern about old, leaky gas tanks 15 or so years ago, I thought replacement tanks were fiberglass or some other type of plastic material.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    An other way you can get some bad gas is filling your car up when the tanker is filling the station tanks up. The pressure going in the tanks stirs up all the crap that has settled at the bottom of the tank and mixes with the fuel that is being pumped into your car. My father in-law owned a gas station years ago and said that this is the worse time to ever fill your tank is when the tanker truck is at a station. He tried to have his filled at the time of day when it was slow for business. To days fuel injection has a much smaller hole for the gas to go through then the ports in the carburetor days.
  • hyun2005donthyun2005dont Member Posts: 6
    I bought mine from global in north plainfield stay away from those mafia sharks!!! Dont say i didnt warn anyone they prey on the unexperienced and i am experienced, they lie,and sell you defect left overs, if not possible flood cars..DO not go there I have been a fool twice in 3 years :lemon:
    Water, trash, or even too much alcohol can make your engine miss. It's amazing how bad my engine ran on some gas, and how fast it recovered on a tank of clean gas. It was like night and day.

But,,, that may not be your problem. However, it needs to be ruled out.
  • gibigibi Member Posts: 9
    I have 06 Sonata, it started to make a sound like a wind noise, but when I make a right turn it is more of a rubbing sound coming from what I think is the right rear area. Dont know if this is the right place to post. we did it. Anyone have this problem ,just turned 3000 miles ???
  • dharveydharvey Member Posts: 2
  • dharveydharvey Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to change their own oil filter yet?
    I just came from the dealership and they give me a
    filter cartridge and 2 "O" rings. I haven't seen a
    cartridge oil change since my old John Deere tractor.
    Are there people in the 21 century?
    Welcome to the 21'st century, where many of the better cars have cartridge filters. I think the manufacturers are going to cartridge filters because the bare element doesn't hold a big glop of oil like the spin-on filters... you know, more environmentally friendly.
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    I have done it several times. Large O ring seals the top cover and small O ring snaps on to the stem on the cover. The canister snaps on to the plastic stem and currently can only be purchased from a Hyundai Dealer. Only problem doing an oil change is removing the plastic engine cover. Hyundai should have designed a break away cover on top of the oil filter. Otherwise nice location for the filter assembly, easy to get at and replace. Hope this helps.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "The canister snaps on to the plastic stem and currently can only be purchased from a Hyundai Dealer."

Maybe not. Someone over on BITOG (an oil forum - yeah, there are oil nutz who periodically slip away from the "farm" and masquerade as normal people on BITOG) posted within the last week that Purolator now has a cartridge filter out for the new Hyundai Lambda V6 engine family. He said he got his - a "PureONE" premium design - for ~$5.00 at Pep Boys. If this is true (I haven't checked) Purolator's standard "Premium PLUS" line's version would probably come in around $3.50.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I just checked Pure Oil's website and it shows the filter is not available for the V6. It has been assigned a part number though so maybe soon.
    ray_h11,

People are buying the Pure filter. I guess Pure didn't update their web site.
    L35610 (cartridge insert for canister-type motor oil filters)
  • miked57miked57 Member Posts: 1
    I get that a lot with my `03 Sonata. (50,000 miles) A quick drive through the service bay and it's back out, until the next time. They tend to blame it on the gas cap thing, but I don't really but that one. Other than that, great car, I'll by another one.
  • mikeusamikeusa Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 sonata GLS (V6). It pretty much like some sensor problem. Probably oxygen sensor and ECM (Electronic Control Module) programming problem. Believe me. You will have much rough time driving this car without fixing it. Sensor and ECM does not cost much (about 40-140~~) Fix it!! Dealers lies!! Especially about ECM!! (Since Hyundai does not pay much about this service and your is for free!) You probably end up paying diagnostic fee and done nothing. ECM must be fixed at dealership. 99-2002 sonata was pretty reliable car except for sensor problems. (Which is minor). Go to another dealership or get diagnose in outside autoshop.
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    This isn't exactly a problem, but I cannot find where is the thermometer on my 2006 Sonata GLS V6. How do I tell the external temperature?
    Sorry to tell you this, but the GLS doesn't have an outside thermometer. It's part of the LX automatic climate control package. The outside thermometer is the only part of the climate control package that I would like to have. :)
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    You gotta luv 'em.
  • falvarezfalvarez Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 2002 with the auto climate system and it has had problems since I got it...I've had it in 4 times in less than 3 years and they have never fixed it...now it is just out of warranty and now they think they know what is wrong but I have to pay to fix it...anyone out there had the same issues and been able to resolve them...I'm at the point where I'm just going to get rid of it and never buy or recommend a Hyundai to anyone...thanks
  • fk322fk322 Member Posts: 15
    If you have had this vehicle in for the same issue under warranty and it was not fixed properly, Hyundai should treat this as if the warranty is still in effect. Good luck.
    If you kept the warranty claim service tickets on your previous attempts to have the malady resolved, Hyundai is obligated by law to to take care of your original problem. Without those service tickets (which are proof of good faith on your part, but some dealerships avoid writing anything up to avoid a paper trail if they don't want to bother with what they consider a "nuisance" complaint), you'll have an uphill battle now that the warranty period has passed. Good luck - I have a feeling you're gonna need it.