Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    A - Repeated short distance driving
    B - Extensive idling
    C - Driving in dusty, rough roads
    D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
    E - Driving in sandy areas

F - More than 50% Driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90oF (32oC)
    G - Driving in mountainous areas
    H - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, or other commercial use
    I - Driving over 100 MPH (170 KM/H)

C, D, E, & G have nothing to do with your motor oil and if you only meet one, or all, of them you can use the 7,500mile interval.
    Now what those 4 things cause you to do is look over the brakes, body, air filter, and suspension more often as they can be affected by those items.
    Just let my dealer try and deny any warranty work just because I change my oil at 7,500 mile intervals. I have the oil testing results to prove the oil is still in great shape, probably better that the oil they put in when they change oil for the poor fools that go to them, and they need to tear down the engine and PROVE!! that it was an oil caused failure pointing to my records and my 7,500 mile OCI's means/proves nothing.
    btw I had 300,000miles on my 4x4 4cyl using 7,500 mile OCI's and she was running as strong as the day she was new when I finally had to let her go.
  • bmccoybmccoy Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone aware of an issue with the 2003 Sonata having rear brake or wheel bearing problems during cold weather that would cause them to freeze? My brother-in-law has a 2003 that when it sits in weather below freezing, the rear wheels freeze and will not turn. Pouring warm water on the rotor frees up the wheel to drive and then it freezes again when the car sits. The wheel bearings do not make noise when driven.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I can see that parts of D,and G could have an affect on motor oil. With "D" cold weather starts can possibly cause oil starvation and a lack of prompt lubrication to internal parts especially if the oil is old and thick with accumulated contaminents.
    With "G" since I do a certain amount of mountainous driving I can see the extra strain put on the engine. It is in a lower gear at higher RPM much of the time while climbing.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I realize the dealer doesn't set the schedule....hence the dealer should have referred him to Hyundai for his answer. My point is exactly that---the manufacturer should be more clear in there criteria and not make people guess. Do you really think that if someone called Hyundai they would get a straight answer on this question or the same answer to the question if you called twice?

There was a lot more to the Mazda6 story but I just stated the basics for brevity sake. No, it wasn't a third party warranty, Could there have been a detail left out or could the person have been lying about the whole incident? Sure. Anything on these boards has to questioned to some degree.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    The only thing I wouldn't question is a 3000 mile oil change. You can tout environment or whatever. The fact is changing fluids BEFORE they BREAKDOWN can only create longevity, happy owners and less hassles at warranty claim time. Being cheap up front really costs you later. I can attest to that. An oil change costs me $18.00 in parts plus my time and it lets me be one with the underside of my car. I like to know what is going on under there. Every few months is good insurance. Plus my neighbors all come out whan I have the hood up. Quality time.

If buying a brand of car depends on the "maintenance" schedule I would suggest one with an oil life meter. You'll be happier it sounds like.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, you are a "recreational oil changer."

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Recreational%20Oil%20Changing
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I hope you wear protection while you're under there. ;)
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    Ok, I can see your point with item G in that your engine is working harder at a lower gear/higher RPM going up the hill but you also get to come back down and the load is less at that time. D I just think that if you are using the proper grade/type of oil for the temps this is not a big deal, but it is a good point. There are several 0W-20/0W-30 oils out there that should cover that issue. In any case a good synthetic oil is built for 15,000mile or better OCI's and there are a few that are rated out to 25,000 and even 35,000 mile OCI's in a normal duty cycle and 1/2 of that in a severe duty enviroment.
    Is there a club I can join? :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Or maybe a ten-step program? :P
    I fall into the "severe" driving catagory so according to my manual 3750 mile oil changes are required.

Per Edmunds
    "The Short Story
    For most, here's all you need to know: Buy a brand-name oil that exactly matches your vehicle manufacturer's specifications and certification requirements, and change your oil according to the carmaker's recommendations. That will allow your engine to offer maximum performance and last as long as possible. Disastrous consequences await those who deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations. Those who want more, read on."

Whew, now I can sleep at night. :D
  • bmccoybmccoy Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Is anyone aware of an issue with the 2003 Sonata having rear brake or wheel bearing problems during cold weather that would cause them to freeze? 2003 Sonata that when it sits in weather below freezing, the rear wheels freeze and will not turn. Pouring warm water on the rotor frees up the wheel to drive and then it freezes again when the car sits. The wheel bearings do not make noise when driven.
  • bill304bill304 Member Posts: 18
    -I do the required work on my car, it has 53,500 miles.( car service shop ) After 16 months the dealer replaced the drivers side rear caliper, it was defective.

I had the brakes checked a month ago and work done at a franchise repair shop, they installed new pads/ rotors.l/r front ,flushed braking fluid, trans etc . Rear brakes were fine. Everything was ok, no noise, better breaking etc.

After about three weeks driving while the engine is still cold, and doing moderate braking say for a red light I will hear the same squealing noise, up front as I did before.the brakes were checked.

it sounds like drivers side front. It mainly does it when it is cold but can happen 10% of the time when I have been driving for awhile as well. I went back to the repair shop and they said they couldn't reproduce the noise. Happily it did not sound like a bad caliper (which made a very LOUD grinding noise.

Any suggestion what could be causing this and how to procede with the service
    business who did the work ? I don't mind paying to keep the car running and in shape condition. ? Maybe I would have been better off going right to the dealer and had the work done there ? Does anyone think it may be a botched repair job ?

Appreciate any suggestions because I need to keep the car at least one more year.
  • hitesh_nayyarhitesh_nayyar Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used Hunadai Sonata,1999 model, ran only 86 k miles. After 15 days of purchase car stopped on the road, I towed it and took it to the mechanic. He told me that the sub frame is damaged, which is too expensive . Can I get any help from Hundai
    Probably not since it was a used car that you didn't have checked out properly before purchasing.
    You might be able to go back the seller or sue them in small claims court if it was something they were required to disclose.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    How long of a paint warranty would you like to have on your Sonata? Five years? Ten? Maybe lifetime?

I have to agree - seems many of us want our products to be guaranteed for a lifetime. That's ridiculous! Every car wears out - the purpose of a warranty is to give you a reason to buy their car new, as opposed to used, and cheaper. For the expense of a new car, you get peace of mind that if something has been poorly or improperly made, the manufacturer will stand behind it. But how long do you expect them to guarantee a flawless machine? It's gonna wear out, folks. I'd love to have coverage from cradle to grave but from a manufacturer point of view - it's not feasible and stay in business. The car should last around 10 years and 150,000 miles without catastrophic problems, engine or transmission failure, etc. But after that - your expectations should be minimal, if it continues to run comparatively problem free, you are fortunate. Warranty coverage should not be expected forever.

OTOH - I firmly also believe that the manufacturers are often short sighted about how they treat claims by their customers. A $300 repair covered when they're not obligated to cover it, can make a customer for life if you step up - and they should do it more then most of them do so. :shades:
  • zepol64zepol64 Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks ago my 2000 Sonata's subframe gave out. After leaving a H.S sporting event I noticed some play in the steering to point that I felt like I had no control over the steering. I had driven to this event on a highway doing 55MPH. Coming home I had to baby the car to my home. As I made the turn in front of my home the lower control arm ripped out of the subframe and the wheel sat down and the axle pulled out. This is truly a design floor but Hyundai says its not covered. Thank God it did not happen at high speed. I had just had an inspection and nothing was visible. Hyundai's failure to address this issue is going to get someone killed. They obviously know there is a flaw because when my mechanic ordered a new subframe the new one has drainage cutouts where water would have built up in the original subframe. My mechanic said that the other side of the frame was ready to give as well and that it was just a matter of time. I am still pursuing this with Hyundai.
    The car is 8 years old. You didn't mention the mileage. It's a Hyundai - you paid less for the car than just about anything comparable. Pursue all you want - but I don't think they owe you anything. Just my opinion - guess I won't be on your expert witness list, eh? :P
    I believe Hyundai has been replacing these sub-frames on specific year Sonata's on a case by case basis. That there may be some "arm twisting" required isn't unusual given the cars involved are at least 8 or 9 years old, with probably high mileage in many cases, have been passed to the second or third owners by now, driven with unknown adherence to maintainence or physical inspections with unknown (and many times indifferent) driver involvement or interest in such basics as keeping the thing washed of road salt in the winter . Hyundai probably didn't know about the lack of water drain holes in critical areas causing corrosion until many years later (read: NOW 7or 8-or 9 years later) and the fact they now have those holes just goes to show that once a flaw is found it is fixed. Finally the bumper to bumper the warranty which would have covered this is long expired in many or most cases (6 years or 60,000 miles). An automobile manufacturer cannot project 8 or 9 years down the road to determine if a long term flaw might show up, they can only be retroactive.
  • gretchenlbgretchenlb Member Posts: 3
    I was at red light two weeks ago after getting off the Interstate and the same thing happened. I had less than 600 miles on my 2008 Hyundai Sonata. They were not able to "duplicate the problem", as they call it, in the service dept. I have the General Manager involved at the dealership. I will keep everyone posted. Do you mind giving me more info on your situation??
  • sangisasisangisasi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am also victim for this bad design of 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6. I narrowly escaped from an accident because of this. My car's subframe broke and tire was almost dismantled from the axle while I was taking a turn into our apartment complex.
    The mechanics in our area said it unfixable. While searching in internet, I saw your comments regarding the same problem. I hope you will help me in this regard. My car as just 97K mileage. Please respond me how to proceed further, to get my car fixed.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sasi
    Although I am not an owner of an affected Hyundai vehicle I would suggest you read all the posts here pertaining to this "defect". You will find phone numbers to Hyundai USA and posters who have had a similar problem . You can follow up with them and gain information on the sequence of events you need to persue.
    While the damaged sub-frame is not repairable Hyundai (according to others here) has been replacing these on a case by case basis as a good-will gesture even though many of the vehicles are long out of any type of warranty and technically not Hyundai's responsibility to replace free of cost. Also, you can phone your local Hyundai dealer and order the part and have it replaced on your dime. This is going to be expensive and probably not worth the costs depending on the condition of your car.
  • hyundai_1995hyundai_1995 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have just bought 1995 sonata and had to replace starter i got it running but not on its on. And when i tried to restart it in wont crank up. what could be the problem? I have replaced plugs and it has new wires. battery is chrged and good. I just cant seem to figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas? If so i would greatly appreciate them.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you meant to add the part about a quality filter. :surprise:
  • enricongenricong Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2006 sonata GL. Recently, I looked at my driver's side, side-view mirror and noticed that the black plastic piece which is normally on the bottom of the mirror cover is missing. It must have gotten hit by a rock or something and fallen off.

Anyways, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a cheap replacement?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why buy one? The car is still under warranty, right? If so, take it to the dealer, tell them somehow the part fell off the car (they can't prove otherwise, right?), and have them replace it under warranty.

Now, of course this won't work if there's some damage to the rest of the mirror and it's clear something thwacked it pretty good, causing the mirror to break.
  • enricongenricong Member Posts: 7
    well there's a pretty light but pretty long scratch on the door right under the mirror.
    thats why I think a rock hit it or something.

I have to bring it in for some sort of recall so maybe I'll ask them about it.

I figured they wouldnt cover it, thats why I was looking into how much it might cost.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2006 LX I4 and had a bus rip off the entire passenger side mirror. It cost me $300 to replace the entire unit (dealer item only) with matching paint for the top half. This was done by a local shop that was referred by my auto insurance so that the work is guaranteed for life. Unfortunately, my deductible was $500, so I had to "eat it"
  • sonata08ltdsonata08ltd Member Posts: 5
    My 08 sonata is less than a week old, Today the Left turn signal started blinking really fast with less sound than when it blinks normally. After the turn, I tried couple of times and it was still this way. After about a mile of driving, when I tried again, the turn signal seems fine.

If it happens again, i will take it to the dealer....

Any ideas ? what this might be, Has anyone had a similar issue...
  • eclarkeclark Member Posts: 12
    On other autos I have seen this when either the front or rear turn signal bulb is not working. This condition will cause a fast blinking indicator on the instrument cluster. Next time it happens get outside the car in a safe location and verify front and rear lights are blinking. If not then you can suspect a bad connection of bulb to socket, bad bulb, bad wiring, loss of ground to the affected bulb. Probably a simple fix once the actual problem is located.
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    It's either a bad bulb or a bad relay, usually when it blinks fast it's the relay, have your dealer check the relay, very simply unplug one put a new one in and your done.
    Don't feel too bad I get 16 around town and as much as 30 on the hwy, but CA gas has a lot of ethanol i it. so I just accept it, runs like a bat out of hell though. For the money you can't beat that little bugger.
    WEll folks here is one you won't believe. I'm in my car and put down the sun visor and see this little thingy in the head liner that looks like a small vent or some kind of light. So I call my fiiendly dealer and ask for service and the guy tells me that it is is fact a vent he says when you put the visor down and lower your window it lets out all the stale air. NOW then ready for this? He tells me to hang on for a minute and come back on the line and tells me now it is a light that when you open your door it come on. So I try it NOTHING !!! the I look at the visor and notice the vanity mirror and just happen to flip it open... GUESS WHAT WAHT? WHEN YOU LIFT UP THE MIRROR THE LIGHT IN THE HEADLINER DOES IN FACT COME ON. I felt like going down there and ripping them a new butt hole, they absolutely know NOTHING about the vehicle they are selling. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    I just got a 2008 hyundai sonata I4 limited yesterday and I have the similar/same problem. it vibrates at 4th gear around 40mph. anyone find a solution to this?
    They should have known, but that's probably also listed in the owners manual.
    I would look there before bothering to call the dealership and attempting to describe it verbally.
    lmaxick, Thanks.

This happened to me again. I checked this time, Both the front and back light-bulbs were blinking fast and DIM.

I took it to the dealer, The problem is by the time I got to the dealer, the problem disappeared. The service Manager, took the bulbs out and put them back-in and said, please bring it back when it consistently fails....

I asked about the relay, he simply said, no that cant be it... I guess I will WAIT until it fails more often or completely

Any other ideas are welcome ....
    Oh, I believe it. More often than not, I know far more about my cars, no matter the make, than the dealer servicing it does. Even at Lexus......
    Update :: Dealer finally reproduced the problem, Issue was that the, bulb was not making contact correctly inside the headlight assembly. Dealer replaced the whole headlight assembly and now things seem to be fine.
  • sonlxsonlx Member Posts: 21
    Hello,
    I took my 03 Sonata LX to NTB (National Tire and Battery) to have the alignment fixed. They fixed the alignment and very well at that, but the problem of my car pulling left even when in the right lane of the highway was not resolved. Long story short, they found my front passenger side Camber to be off by -0.7 degrees. Camber on the sonata is unadjustable. Some suspension component is most likely bent, warped, or broken and I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with camber issues and how they fixed the problem. What component was damaged and causing the camber offset? If a part was replaced, did that fix the camber issue?
    Any and all information is greatly Appreciated!
    Thank You
  • pes1pes1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just registered to tell my own story. I own a 2001 Sonata GLS with 148,000 miles. I hope my story will help others.
    While I had my Sonata at my mechanic for a ball joint and a new tire, he called me to tell me my subframe was completely rusted out and it is a safety issue and I should take it up with Hyundai. So I did, I called Hyundai consumer affairs and made my case very strongly that this is a clear safety issue and a subframe on a car should NOT be rusting out and if Hyundai does not fix this on their dime that I would make a huge stink about this. They admitted to me on the phone that this is not "normal" and to take it to a dealer for them to confirm the issue. I did that and they did confirm the problem. The service manager said to me he would talk to his rep and call me on Monday(today), but stated that because of high mileage and the fact that I havent been doing regular servicing and been a "loyal" Hyundai customer they might noy pay for the repair. Watch out for them playing the" loyalty " card. It's bull#$@!. Force the issue with them, this is not a mechanical thing, it is a safety thing and this should NOT happen! Be forceful in your comments, but remain respectful so they will owrk with you.
    I just now got a call and they are ordering the part and repairing it at NO COST TO ME! I will have my car back bby Thursday or Friday with a new subframe.

So I hope this info helps someone out there. If you own a Sonata have the subframe checked before it breaks while youre driving. Luckily mine was found out before any more damamge was done to me or my car.
    You can refer to my case number : 3254818

email me if I can be of help or support, Hyundai will pay for this to keep it from becoming more publicized and becaome a recall.

pesphoto@gmail.com
  • braggonbraggon Member Posts: 8
    Please mention what state you drive your Sonata in, this may have something to do with how "familiar" they are with the problem. The northern states seem to get more help since it's more common with the salt. I drove mine for three years in Mass. but have been in Tenn. for the past five years and went round and round with Hyundai about my 2000 model but I'm supposed to get a check in the mail.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    I have been collecting data since November 2006 when my 2000 sonata rusted apart. I believe I was the first to publicly get Hyundai to pay for this repair. I am in Kansas cit, Mo and have heard from 20-25 people from all across the country. mainly the coast but not exclusively. the cars have had anywhere from 85k to 145k miles. There are plenty of examples out there and Hyundai has been paying on a case by case buisness. I can be reached at tntnknb@juno.com and will be more than willing to give anyone my claim information. I have posted my informaatiopn in this forum several times. Best thing to do is to ionsist on adealer making the repair and get the district rep involved.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    Insist on the dealer making the repair. I have found the cost of the repair to be from $1200 to $2500. The fix is by replacing the complete undercarriage. I have spoke to 20-25 people and Hyundai has been paying for these repairs.
    I am a sonata owner and had this problem and with persistence got Hyundai to make right on the repairs.
  • gretchenlbgretchenlb Member Posts: 3
    I am also a new Hyundai owner,08 Sonata Limited. I have approached my dealer in Memphis,TN on numerous occasions concerning the vibration. The GM and service manager all "agree" it's a "characteristic"of the car. BS...now the 2009 Sonatas are ALL 5 speeds, not 4 speeds. Why would that be I wonder??? Hmmm...class action lawsuit sounds good to me!!!
    Wonder no more....all Sonata's are now 5 speeds for two reasons:
    1. to increase fuel economy somewhat, notice the 4 cylinder EPA sticker now indicates a modest increase over previous years with a 4 speed auto.
    2. to keep up with the competitiion. Honda,at least, has had 5 speed automatics in their 4 cylinders for at least one model year.
    I love conspiracy theories...X Files material for sure!! ;)
  • hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    Not just all 2007 models - was a "characterisitc" from the beginning of the NF-model:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f148eb4/18!keywords=#18
    And according to my testdrive last weekend of the facelifted 2009 3,3 model - they still havent solved this annoyance. A lot of other improvements, but obviously not this specific (most likely A/T-related) problem.
  • cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Member Posts: 53
    I was just wondering if anyone has been having a problem with their air bag light keeps coming on. My light has come on 3 times in the past year, and it's been the same code every time (high resistance in the passenger seat belt buckle or something like that). I bought the car in August '05, so I think the Illinois Lemon Law doesn't apply to me (someone tell me if it does cuz I wouldn't mind a new car!). I have 45,000 miles, so I have a little while left to go before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, but that would suck if this keeps happening forever.

Oh, and another thing... I got a bubble in each of my front tires after the pot holes this winter, and the dealer recommended I change them. Is it okay to change just 2? Like I said, I have 45,000 miles on the other ones. I was thinking about getting Kumho Solus KH16s cuz they're only like $100 each, and they have pretty good reviews/ratings... much better than the stock MXM4s...
    Changing just two tires should be just fine. I wouldn't hesitate if I needed to do this to my car.
  • southhavenjensouthhavenjen Member Posts: 22
    I had Kumho Solus tires on my previous car and LOOOOVED them! I wouldn't hesitate to buy these. I hate the stock tires on my Sonata - Hankook something or other.