Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• travfam1travfam1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a manual drivers seat with an annoying squeak when any pressure is applied to the seatback, ie. during acceleration or trying to move in the seat. Before I take it to the dealer, I was considering replacing it with a power seat. Has anyone actually done this? Can it be done with the existing harness in the vehicle. The manual seat has 3 electrical connections. Anyone know how many the power seat has? Spoke to service dept.at dealer. They said would require additional harness. Anyone know for sure. Appreciate any info. Thanks.
  • beachhockeybeachhockey Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced both CV shafts on my 1999 Sonata. Now I have a leak of either power steering fluid or transmission fluid. I can't determine if the hose/line is connected for cooling or where. Has anyone come across this before?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    This is more likely transmission fluid. The half shafts slot directly into the transmission/differential (Transaxle) and there are/should be seals at that point and these may have developed a leak since you disturbed the original half shafts.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    Please check you engine cradle for rust where the control arms bolt on. This is a very serious safty issue. I have a 2000 where the engine cradle rusted and broke and have talked to over 30 peolpe and the nhtsa.gov has 40 complaints on the same issue. These cars have been rusting from the inside out on the subframe and Hyundai has been replacing them with some persuasion.
    If you find this corrosion you need to file a cliam with nhtsa.gov and hyundai consumer affairs. If you have any questions I can be contacted directly at tntnknb@juno.com. I have been collecting this information ever since NOV 2006.
    Tom Baker Kansas CIty, MO
  • mauritamiamauritamia Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2004 Sonata with 75,000 miles that is running just fine. I bought it used. I heard that the Sonatas need to get a service by the 80,000 to take care of brakes and more. Is this true? and if it is, what else should get fixed/replaced at the 80,000 mile mark. Thank you very much for your response.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Brakes are serviced as needed. Any reputable brake shop will do a check of your brakes at no cost to you. Your service schedule is a part of the car paperwork, have you checked there? Even if you're not mechanically inclined, you should familiarize yourself with the manuals. If they were not included in the purchase, you can acquire them from a dealer or on eBay. Last, but not least, establish a relationship with your local dealer. Your service manager will be able to tell you what is needed (as opposed to recommended) on your car.
  • tmorrow411tmorrow411 Member Posts: 11
    I had a squeaky driver seat on my 2007 Sonata. The dealer first replaced the rails under the seat. The problem left, but shortly came back. The second time, they said they didn't use the right grease the first time. They fixed it again by just greasing it, and it hasn't sqeaked since.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I have an 06 Sonata GLS (4 cylinder, automatic) with a little over 41,000 miles on it. I've noticed as of late that my brake pedal can get a bit firm occasionally when stopping, and it has happened at both high and low speeds (and not always with a panic stop). I can duplicate it to an extent by accelerating a little and then going for the brakes. The brake pedal will get firm for just a split second and then it'll feel more like normal immediately after. I don't recall ever having this sort of issue in the past. I'm still on my original pads and rotors and have had the dealer inspect, clean, and adjust the brake system every year. However, my dealer did replace the master cylinder recently because it was making an awful creaking noise when braking.

Any thoughts as to what might be happening? I'm going to have the dealer look at it Monday afternoon and figured I would ask about it here beforehand to see if anyone else can shed any light on this.
  • xfshhxfshh Member Posts: 26
    I bought my 09 Sonata GLS with package 2 two days ago. Today, I put my key to the "accessory" position (I thought it was in the "start" poisition). And then I stepped on the brake and shiftted the gear to "R", the car started to back from the parking lot. And then I shift the gear to "D" so I could adjust the direction of my car. The car Kept going backward. I was scared and stepped on the brake and the brake did NOT work - the car kept sliding backward!!! It only stoped when I shifted the gear to "P". I checked the shift - it was in the AUTO transmission mode (this is right). So why this happens? It is not safe at all!!! I remember my old car would not move if I do not start the engine. Isn't this the basic safety feature???

I tried 2 more times later this evening. One of these was just like I wrote above. I also smelled something burning. Anyone has similar experience? Would you please try (several times) to see whether it is just my car or it is a common problem for 2009 Sonata
  • bozybozy Member Posts: 8
    Anything new on the NHTSA investigation into this issue? The more that write into them and bring this safety issue up, the more it force Hyundai to own up to the problem.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    If what happened is exactly as you describe I would get that car into the dealer immediately.
  • johnnyburkertjohnnyburkert Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '04 Hyundai Sonata the other day with about 59,000 miles on it. It's the first car I've ever owned, and so far everything has been going well, but due to my inexperience, I was cheated out of a bit of cash. I asked the salesman about what kind of maintenance I would have to shell out for at the 60k mark. I was particularly concerned about the timing belt, which I hear can be pretty pricey to fix. He assured me that on a car like this, a V6, I wouldn't have to worry about the timing belt for a long time (until a 100,000 miles, he claimed).

Of course, after I bought the car and did some research, I've discovered that he was full of it. From what I've read in the manual and online, the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k, and one ignores this at his peril. This probably comes up a lot, but can anyone tell me what a fair price would be to replace the timing belt? How much more to do all of the suggested maintenance? I'm certainly not planning on doing this at a dealer. Obviously, I'll call around and try to find a competent shop and a good price, but is this the kind of work that most good mechanics will be able to do?

Thanks,
    J.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I'm more wondering why you're trying to move a car without actually turning on the engine? I would assume braking on the sonata kinda requires power as there's a ton of electronic systems on the brakes(brake force, esc, anti-lock, tcs). My guess is that you were on a slope falling backwards and it just kept going down it until you set it back to park.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Could have been a mistake. The moving the shift lever thing. I agree on the braking pressure required. Car off...no assist...car running....no problem.

We all try to do things to check our cars out. Always push the limit or check the safeties when it's safe to do so. Shifting when the ignition is locked would be a good check. Will the trunk unlatch if I'm stuck inside? Another good check. :P

Question...were you stopped b4 you put it in park? If not, we won't tell. :shades:
    It's not I was trying to move a car w/o turning on the engine. I thought I turned on the engine. The sliding thing happened. And in the parking lot, somebody suggested to check whether the engine started or not. I think the intention to do that or not is not important. The most important thing is this is not safe!!!

Also, all these moving are at flat parking lot (2 different flat parking lots). Not a slope. You may try yours if you have a 2009 Sonata GLS auto.
    I'll try my 06...a pioneering sprit IMA, and let you know. :P
    I didn't intentionally check the safety features. Just happened. All these happened from a totally stopped status.
    Thanks. I'll check back often.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    "Will the trunk unlatch if I'm stuck inside? Another good check."

Don't try this unless you have someone standing outside the vehicle with the key. :surprise:
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I'm not entirely sure the transmission can be (should be able to be) shifted out of park, even if the brake is pressed, if the car isn't started and the ignition key is in the "acc." position. I am aware of the safety interlock that only allows a shift into gear if the brake is depressed but what if the engine isn't running??? This is something someone here with a new-ish Sonata should try although I guess any modern car with a shift interlock would be the same. Further, if the engine isn't running and the brakes, which are assisted by engine vacuum, are applied there will be a different feel to them. That is, without power assist they will work but not without a greater than normal "push" on the brake pedal. This also applies to power steering.
    As to what be normal for a 2009 Sonata (or any car with power brakes) it goes like this, the different brake feel without assist is normal but whether the ability to shift into gear with the key in the accessory position and the engine off is normal is the key question here. Somehow I don't believe it should be possible.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Also, all these moving are at flat parking lot (2 different flat parking lots). Not a slope.

You're saying that your car defied the laws of physics? :confuse:
    This morning, I tried again. I found that actually there are 3 positions for the ignition key - "acc", "on", and "start". It seems the situation I described above happens when the key is at the "on" position - you can shift the gears and step on the brake at the same time. Except for the "P", everything else is associated with a sliding backward. Sorry for the confusion. My concern is someone (like me) may accidentlly place the key to the "on" position but thought it was at the "start" position. If the person doesn't pay attention, the car could hit another car behind it (especially at the parking lot).

Anyone knows what the "on" position for?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If I put the key in On in other automatics I own, I can shift from Park into Neutral. If the car is on enough of a grade, and the parking brake is not applied, the car will start rolling. If it's on flat ground, or the parking brake is on, it will not move. I don't see why your Sonata's behavior is anything special except that apparently it moved while on flat ground. Which is very, very interesting... real strong winds where you live, perhaps? :confuse:
    Good for you. I'd like Sonata has this.

The situations I had are all inside the parking structures flat ground - wind is not a factor. I can shift to any gear with the key at the "on" position while I stepped on the brake. The results are rolling backward no matter which gear it is at. That's the scary part.
    To the best of my knowledge and based on having owned a lot of cars(although not a Sonata....yet...maybe) the accessories postion is to run accessories like the radio etc. The on position will usually light all the dash lights, power windows and everything else electrical that your car needs to have on to run. It is also the position the key returns to after you twist it to start and your engine starts.

Now, is your car going backwards due to gravity or is the engine running quietly and you're not hearing it. That is possible if the radio is on and your hearing is not 100%. If the engine is not running and the parking lot is absolutely level I can't see how the car could move with any force whatsoever.

Power brakes are harder(in some cars a lot harder) to push without engine power but by law they have to work. Being able to put a car into neutral or even into a gear is usually possible and normal with the key turned to on and the foot on the brake. If put into neutral the car can be manually moved by manpower or gravity. I really don't know if the most cars can be moved manually if put into gear(with an auto tranny) because I just have never tried it but I don't think it should.

Again, if everything you've said is exactly what happened I would take the car into your dealer.
    This is informative. Thanks.

Now, is your car going backwards due to gravity or is the engine running quietly and you're not hearing it. That is possible if the radio is on and your hearing is not 100%. If the engine is not running and the parking lot is absolutely level I can't see how the car could move with any force whatsoever.

My car going backwards after I shift the gear from "P" (because I'd like to get the car out of the parking lot), while the key is at "on" (not after my engine starts).

I will try several times more to see whether I could press harder on the brake padel to make it stop, while the car rolling backwards under the situation I described.
    I'm betting if you moved your car to a different area that is tilted forward, it would roll forwards. I doubt the car itself can actually control where it's rolling with no engine. Seems like basically the car is in neutral and will roll whever it can. This would obviously be useful in a situation where people are pushing it. Try doing the same test with the parking brake on to make sure it doesn't move? I think that would prove that you can stop it easily and safely. It sounds like the parking spot you're in does have an incline, try testing in another spot :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Even if the car were on a slight incline, the brake should hold it. So what this appears to be, from the information given, is a simultaneous failure of the braking system and transmission (since a car in Neutral shouldn't move on level ground even if the brake is not applied). So as was already suggested, call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and get it towed to a dealer immediately.
    call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and get it towed to a dealer immediately.

LOL
    The parking losts are level not tilted.
    The parking lots I was at are level ground without wind.

What I did was to back up my car and get it out of the parking lot. However, the key was just at the "on" position, i.e., the engine was not on. Here were the procedures:

Stepped on the brake, shiftted the gear to "R", released the brake -> the car started to roll back

after a while, stepped on the brake again to shift the gear to "D" to adjust the direction of the car. Gear was at "D". Here it came: the car kept rolling back and brake didn't work.

Some of you think I should take it back to the dealer. What do you suggest I ask the dealer for? Say they test it and the same thing happens. I ask them to change a car (because it is just this particular car has the problem)? Ask for a refund because all Sonata has this problem (design problem)?

Thanks.
    The parking lots I was at are level ground without wind.

What I did was to back up my car and get it out of the parking lot. However, the key was just at the "on" position, i.e., the engine was not on.

Maybe you have a hybrid Sonata. ;)

If it's not running and on flat ground, how could it possibly move from a dead stop? Were you in a bar's parking lot? :D
    It's not a hybrid.

It's not running and on flat ground. In my post I said I shifted the gear from a dead stop. BTW, I'm not drunk. I tried this for several times.
    I'll ask again... What makes you believe it can defy the laws of physics?

You have to be on a hill, or it couldn't move from a dead stop? It's as simple as that.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    One thing to remember about most parking lots--even though they may look flat, they do have to have some slope to them to provide for adequate runoff/drainage. If it is a large enough lot, the slope may not be readily apparent but it is there and will cause a car to roll if it is not in park or braked. ;)
    I keep wondering if you put a rolling object on this same "level" parking spot, if it would roll backwards as well. And I keep thinking to myself, yes it would. It's just impossible for a car with no running engine to make itself move by being put into "rear gear" without some sort of external force. In this case, gravity.
    Also the same thing should happen if you just put it into neutral. I don't think you're drunk, you're tricked by optical illusions of level ground. Almost nothing is actually level unless precisely measured against the earth's horizontal plane. And you've never said if you tried the same test anywhere else at all. It would be so easy to prove or disprove things with a few other simple tests using the scientific method, but all we get are the same thing over and over.
    This is definitely a magic car, it can move without any engine output backwards and backwards only :) Hyundai should advertise the ability to move without gas. :P
    And you've never said if you tried the same test anywhere else at all,

I have tried it at 3 different parking lotS (level ground). I definitely don't want to try it on the road.

I agree that this shouldn't happen based on the law of physics. That's why I am asking. The ground may be a little bit tilted for drainage. But this tiny slope can cause the rolling backward (The action of shift makes it move)? Even the gear is at "D"? And at the same time, pressing on the brake couldn't stop it!!! Any problem for the design? :confuse:

The key question is: Do you have the same problem if you follow the procedures in my post of #2529? Is this a common problem or not? So, please try it several times and report your results here. Thank you!

If it is not the problem of my particular car, what do you suggest to do? Return it and get the money back?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Number 1, with a new car like this.. you shouldn't be having any problems, much less something as bizarre as this. I would suggest if possible ask the service manager or a mechanic go with you to this location, and show them the problem. Also, the fact of smelling something burning may very well have something to do with it. Whatever the case, it sounds like a problem for the dealer to deal with, as many here have already mentioned. They may also want to try to see if they can duplicate the problem at their shop first, which would be normal, just mention your having run into it several times, and also about the burning smell.. Some of today's electronics can mess up in the weirdest ways imaginable. Good luck with it. Most of us here have never encountered this type of problem ourselves apparently. Furthermore, you may ask the service manager to specifically address the ignition switch, as you are operating it. Sometimes with new equipment we all are victims of operator error, although it would seem you have that under control. I personally wouldn't think this is anything near normal at all. Hyundai does seem to check into a lot of the complaints that some other dealers may "sluff off", at least the better dealers. Oh, something else, does the car perform OK otherwise, in normal types of operations, etc..???
    van
    Do you have the same problem if you follow the procedures in my post of #2529? Is this a common problem or not?

Ok, I was bored.

At the great risk of running through the back of my garage, I went ahead and tried this anyway. However, I did not experience the same unprovoked inertia as you report. I was able to stick my foot out of the door and push it backward an inch, or two, though. It appears that you have something special there. :shades:
    Thanks. I live in WI and bought the car in Chicago. So I was hoping not to go to the dealer that far. Looks like I should at least ask the service manager on the phone and maybe drive down there.

The car runs pretty well in normal types of operations - quiet, smoth, good suspension, easy to access to the A/C, radio buttons etc., feels like a little too light while operating at 60-65mph (but I can take it). The only concern right now is the dysfunction of the "D" and brake when the key is at "on".
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    I think we have a VERY inexperienced driver here, glad I don't live or drive in WI. ;)
    I'm a good driver that's why I want to figure it out. If you are SO experienced and good, why you couldn't contribute to solving this problem???
    Thank you for trying and reporting!

Did you put your key at "on" or "acce"? If your key was at "acce", everything is O.K. The problem happens when the key is at the "on" position. Shift the gears to "R" and then "D".
    If you take it to a dealer you can take it to one close by you. You are not obligated to return to the selling dealer. Good luck.
    I see. Thank you.
    Yep actually that reminds me, always find yourself an awesome trustworthy service manager who will actually listen to problems and try to fix them. Don't bother going to any dealer with a crappy service guy. Hunt and poke all the ones around your area is my recommendation.
    It was in the "On" position. I didn't turn it past that to "Start", though.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    This discussion is unbelievably ill-informed.

The ignition "on" position is only designed for when the engine has been started. "On" means the engine and all systems are "on" assuming the operator knew enough to engage the starter. Accessory is for listening to the radio when the car is not running. "Acc" does not allow for turning the steering wheel.

Steering wheels do not unlock unless the ignition is "on." This is a safety feature (required by the gov't I think).

No car should be attempted to be moved unless the engine is running and all systems of the car are therefore operational.

Almost any paved surface has some degree of pitch to it. My garage, which by definition has a roof and 4 walls, has a very slight pitch in the floor. (Back in '89, I screwed up and left the auto tranny in drive when I removed the key from the ignition. The car rolled out of the garage. This was an '88 Chrysler which stickered for $20K in 1987.) Auto trannies due to the non-direct connection can go in either direction, when the engine is not running and the shifter has been changed from "park."
    If you would have read the thread closely nearly all of the points you just made have already been addressed.

Also, I don't know about you but I have had to move vehicles by hand many times in my 40 years of driving either because they wouldn't start or a dead battery. While it isn't ideal and one has to be careful, to say that it should not be attempted is a personal opinion. I brought up the difference in the key positions and just explained it a little different than you did. Someone else mentioned that nearly every parking area has some slope. So I really don't see where you can say that the conversation is "unbelievably ill-informed".

Steering wheels do not unlock unless the ignition is "on." This is a safety feature (required by the gov't I think).

He said the key was in the "on" position.