Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    This was discussed some time ago.

I think there are 3 different speeds at which you can choose the locking speed (this is why the factory doesn't activate this feature). Dealers are supposed to activate this feature at your desired speed choice when they sell you the car. DO NOT pay the dealer anything, or feel that he did you a big favor, to do what he is supposed to do as part of selling the car.
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    It only says "can be activated at speed above 25 mph..."
    Does anybody really want this feature activated, since the driver can control all Windows and doors? What if there is an emergency like falling in a lake/river, or trying to get out in an accident?
    IMO Driver's controls are more than enough!
    Check again. I think the speed options were something like 8, 12 or 15 mph.

If Sen Kennedy should happen to be driving you :) , you should be able to open the doors from the inside even when they were automatically locked upon reaching the set speed.

The doors on my prior car automatically locked at 10 mph and could be opend from the inside. Some cars lock as soon as the car is put into gear.
    Check again. I think the speed options were something like 8, 12 or 15 mph.

I just got by Mail a "Sonata Quick Reference Guide" from Hyundai; and that is all it says! Period!

"Automatic Door Locking:
    Your Hyundai is equipped with a feature that will automatically lock all the doors when driving above 25 mph. See your dealer to activate this feature."
  • nande1nande1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tip--I called the dealer back, and suddenly the service guy had a recovered memory of doing this sort of thing before...(Hmmm). Anyway, I'm supposed to take it in tomorrow, and I'll find out what the activation speed is.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Per TSB 05-90-006, the Auto Door Lock Feature is programmable from 20 km/h (12 mph) to 40 km/h (25 mph), in 5 km/h (~3 mph) increments.
    Post # 1821 in the Sonata 2006+ forum has more information about this feature.
  • vsg1vsg1 Member Posts: 5
    It's impossible to procure Spare Parts for my Sonata here in India as HYUNDAI & their dealers follow a MONOPLY-stic policy of not selling parts to a genuine customer, they insist on bringing in the vehicle to their workshop, so they can Strip you to your bones, There should be an International Law for these auto mfrs. forcing them to supply spare parts atleast for a period of 10 years from the date of mfr., to any tom, dick & harry who walks upto the spare counter with his owners manual/service booklet, all who agree should write into Hyundai at whatever level they can...thank you for your patience...HYUNDAI IF U R LISTENING, DO SOMETHING for crying out loud...........thanks
  • sparky14sparky14 Member Posts: 3
    Love the car also-my 4th Hyundai-never had this problem with any other car before. Hope they do come up with a fix.
    There should be an International Law for these auto mfrs.
    It has nothing to do with Auto Manufaturers... It is the country's responsibility to prevent monopolistic practices.
    Here in the US they used to require cars to be Serviced by dealers...but they outlawed that requirement; even though most people still take their cars there, to be stripped to the bones!
  • lesrusselllesrussell Member Posts: 8
    Yesterday I had a strange thing happen, started the car and it made a clicking sound for about 3 minutes it wasn't anything hitting on the body, and it got faster under acceleration. Years ago I had a car that had a cracked manifold, same sound. I could tell it wasn't lifters or a low oil situation (checked and it was fine). This morning it was cold again, but no sound. Anybody else experience anything like that? 2006 LX Sonata.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "Is this Ray from the "old" Hyundai site?"

Hee-hee-hee - with my sardonic prose getting me in trouble with the mods, here, who else? Glad to see you stumbled into this site, Phil! (Miss the old days - remember those "light discussions" with ol' KIHO?)
    How cold are morning temps in your area? Don't dismiss out of hand the possibility that the ticking was hydraulic lifter noise - especially since it varied in response to engine speed and if the car had sat for several days. Hyundai's shop manual states as far back as 2003 that hydraulic lifter noise is possible in cold weather, but no cause for alarm if it ceases within 15 minutes of operation. Hyundai is now using 5W-20 motor oil as factory fill, but has your oil been changed already? If so, any chance a higher viscosity oil was used?
    And therein lies the problem - no Indian laws are being violated by that business model. ("International Law"? Yeah, right - would anyone seriously suggest going to the Hague or to war with South Korea over procuring replacement parts for privately owned automobiles?) vsg1 is inappropriately blaming Hyundai for national or regional statutory disparities that favor the dealer networks in India. Solution? THROW THE CROOKS IN PARLIAMENT OUT AND ELECT NEW CROOKS WHO CLAIM TO FAVOR CONSUMER RIGHTS! ;)
  • coolwindcoolwind Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 sonata GLS made a strange noise from gas tank when it is nearly full. However initially I thought it was brakes' problem---the noise came out every time I pressed the brake. Anyway I described the noise and had the dealer checked brakes. After that 20% of the time I feel the brake too spongy. Other 80% of time the brakes feel all right.

I hope to get the brakes adjusted (or restore to its original condition), but I do not trust my dealer anymore. Could any one recommend high quality Hyundai Service around DC area? Thank you very much!
    IMO, I don't think it is a very good idea to run to the dealer anytime there is a little sound here or there... I don't think dealers are cure all... far from it: they may add to the problem or create another one; and end up more frustrated!
  • coolwindcoolwind Member Posts: 4
    This is exactly what I experienced. Lesson learned.

I only hope Hyundai has some high quality service center around.
    Disc brakes are inherently self-adjusting. If the dealership dude removed the rear calipers for close inspection, he may have compressed the caliper pistons slightly for ease of removal and re-assembly. Two or three hard presses of the brake pedal while stopped with the engine idling will reset ALL the pads where they belong. If the pedal is still spongey after this, return the car to the dealership - something's wrong - perhaps air in either or both hydraulic lines that needs to be bled.
    Thanks for the response. It had sat for about two days, so that could contribute, temps had been lows of 20ish and highs in mid 40's and the first time it had not been garaged. I have had the oil changed twice, both times at the dealer at 3000 and 7500. They tell me they are using 5/20.
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    I've been driving my Sonata 06 LX since Oct. 15 here in the Chicago area.

Has anyone been experiencing unexpected readings from the OAT sensor? :confuse:
    It seems on a least several occasions that the outside air temperature can be up to 10 degrees warmer than what is being reported at either airport at any time. :(

I drive very close to Midway Airport and yet I get readings that are almost always higher than reported on the radio, while near Midway. :(

I had snow fall on my car while the OAT sensor is reporting 40 degrees F. I also have installed an OAT sensor located just outside my apartment. Most times the car reports temperatures higher than reported by the OAT attached to the apartment. Sometimes 4 or 5 degrees higher, sometimes more.

I've got a 3000 mile oil change coming up in the next 500 miles and was thinking of having the OAT sensor tested for temperature reporting accuracy.

Is anybody else experiencing OAT sensor reading either higher or lower than what one might expect to see? :confuse:
  • zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    You should probably just junk it. My God, how can you
    drive, if you don't know what the temperature is?

I have an outside temperature gauge in my Honda CRV.
    I have looked at it maybe three times in the year
    I have owned the car.

Let us know if the service writer keeps a straight
    face when you report this "problem". :-)
    There is a good quick fix. Raise the volume on the
    radio.
  • patrickmeadpatrickmead Member Posts: 2
    Hey Zen2, some of us are interested in what the temp is outside the car! I'm in the Detroit area and check it often to see what the odds of ice are at any given time.

To answer your question, though, my readings are fine after about ten minutes of driving. It can be 10 degrees off one way or the other (usually warmer) when I first start the car.

Mention it when you go in. You paid for it so it should work.
    The thermometer in mine and all my friends cars seem to take about 5 to 10 minutes before giving an accurate reading. As you said, they initially read high.

Also as you said, "Mention it when you go in. You paid for it so it should work. " Sort of like automatic door locks, you paid for them, so they should work.
    Yep, that's true. I live in tropical Erie, Pa. Don't
    really need a thermometer to tell it's cold.
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    lesrussell,

It seems I have been experiencing the same exact thing with my 06 Sonata LX. I hear a clicking sound similar to a water sprinkler. It happens under normal operating temperatures (engine). It is a very small noise, but my car only has 4000 miles. It comes and goes sporadically. It is not temperature because I'm in Texas at temperatures have ranged from the low 60s to the low 80s. I believe it started happening after my first oil change at 2700 miles because I did not hear anything before. At first I thought it was lifters too, but the oil was fine. I took it into the dealer to get looked at, and I'm still waiting for the diagnosis. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks.
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    My new 2005 Sonata has a vibration in the steering wheel , brake pedal, floor and seat. While the car is in gear and stopped (light, traffic) I feel a vibration in my arm, legs, back all from this vibration. Dealer says it is charactoristic of the car. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it. It seems the dealer machanic do not know what is wrong or how to fix it.
    Thanks look forward to hearing what you find out.
    If you have the four-cylinder engine, it won't be quite as smooth at idle as the six-cylinder engine - especially if it's still breaking in. My 2.7L V6 is so quiet with the windows up and smooth at idle, now at 18,000 miles, that I've occasionally tried to restart it. I finally got myself in the habit of checking the tachometer before I attempt to restart a running engine.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Yeah, mine is rarely accurate. Once, when snowing, it read 49 degrees. Usually, it's only 10 to 15 degrees higher than actual. The other day, however, it was around 35 degrees here in western Mass., yet the display read 129, then climbed to 139. Yesterday, it was nearly dead-on. I, too, will report it to the service writer when I go for the initial oil change.

I'd be interested to know if the reading is merely informational, or if it's an input to the auto temp control system.
  • bassetcasebassetcase Member Posts: 5
    Hey, me too with the temperature readings. My 2003 Sonata is always about 5 - 10 degrees too high when first started. However it is usually accurate after the first 10 miles or so. Here in TN our weather changes so fast no wonder it stays confused. Last week in the 70's, Today's high in the 30's, Sunday forecast in the 60's.

And yes, I agree you should complain about it. Make them fix every little thing while your warranty is in effect. Brace yourself for all the things that are NOT covered.
  • pruoffpruoff Member Posts: 18
    Let me know what happened with your car. I am having the same problem with my Sonata. Two dealers have told me this is normal for the car. The car will shake so bad that the glove box cover rattles. Called Hyundai customer service and told them I wanted my car fixed. The guy told me he would have the dealership get in contact with me. Instead I got a letter saying this was normal for the car, and they would do nothing about it.
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    I have also contacted Hyundai corporation, not too much luck. I have a case number. They tried to contact the dealership but did not reach anyone. I dont think another attempt was made. I have also filed a complaint with BBB.org. I have an appointment with a field tech rep to see what he says. I have also been told by the dealer service manager this vibration is characteristic of the care. Some charactor! I believe there is something wrong, making the car vibrate as badly as it does. If this is charactoristic of the car, then where are all the other 2005 GL(automatic) Sonata owners to tell me their car vibrates too.
    Hey, I'm new here, so forgive if I don't do this exactly right. Maybe should have started a new thread? Or maybe there is a forum especially for this topic? Anyway, most of what I have read here applies to either the older out of warranty models or the brand new Sonata. I have a 2003 Sonata - its the GL I think (it's the one with the most options) V-6 Automatic. Bought new 3 yrs. ago end of this month - have 82K miles on it now. I have experienced several issues (although nothing serious yet) with my car and EXTENDED warranty. I have read several old posts describing problems that I have experienced, so if there is anyone else out there with an 03 with high miles I would be interested in hearing about your warranty experience. Thanks, and direct me elsewhere if I am in the wrong place.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I believe cars Thermometers are calibrated to work while a car is in motion. I have a Mountaineer and a Sonata and they both read wrong when first starting out. Especially after driving a while then turning off the car to go into a store or something. They will always read very high just from the heat generated by the engine. Once I get going a few miles they are usually dead on. For those that don't think it's important I say it is just something that I find interesting to check. Especially when driving for a long period with the windows rolled up and the AC or heat on. You can see what the outside temp is while cruising along at 70 mph. I find it a good thing in the winter when I'm on the road and wondering if the wet on the pavement might be prone to freezing.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    I took my car to the dealer, but they could not find anything wrong with it and could not hear the clicking sound. After I got it back, I did some more testing. I found out that the clicking sound comes out when I'm at 1000 RPMs. When the car is first turned on, it starts up over 1000 RPMs, so that is why I never noticed it before. After the engine is at normal operating temperature, all I have to do it rev the engine to stay 1000RPMs and I hear the clicking noise (like a water sprinkler). I'm not sure if this is the way it sounds on all Sonatas. It sounds a little odd. Does anybody else hear that clicking sound? I thought it could be the CVV timing, but I'm not sure. 2006 Sonata LX
  • 01sonata01sonata Member Posts: 6
    My power steering line on my 2001 Sonata is leaking from what I would assume is the pressure line, since it is metal. I can get to the leak just from getting under the car, and I'm tempted to get the part and try to fix it myself. But I can't find anywhere online where I can placate myself that it would be a relatively smooth operation. Does anyone know anywhere online where I can find detail diagrams of the Sonata?
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    When the heater is on in my '06LX, I sometimes hear a very low-toned grinding sort of noise from the engine when I step on the gas pedal. I wouldn't worry about it if it happens consistently (cause it's barely audible), but sometimes it's there, and sometimes it isn't. Once it starts, the noise will continue until I turn off the heater. Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks!
    Try http://www.hmaservice.com . I would think it would be the seals that are leaking, not the line. Replacing seals it not a do-it-yourself job, unless you are a mechanic. Good luck! If it's a 2001, isn't it still under warranty?
  • whitelightningwhitelightning Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 sonata that I purchased in November and I noticed that when I drive over speed bumps they sometimes make a clanking noise. I think it's the struts, i'm not sure. I'ts not really that noticeable and you have to be listening for it to hear it. I don't know if it's normal since I have less then 10,000 miles on the car and it drives like a dream. Any one got any ideas?
  • 01sonata01sonata Member Posts: 6
    LOL I wish, I forgot to mention 121,000 miles. I actually found the leak. There is a section that is covered by foam padding. It seems that the foam split and water got in there and perhaps rusted. But it is not a seal, from what I could tell.
    At less than 10,000 miles I'd be very surprised if your struts have already tanked. My '03 Sonata has made a similar noise periodically when backing out into the street. I just figured (rightly or wrongly) that it's just affected rubber suspension bushings creaking and popping according to binding from climate and/or dirt intrusion. I've come across this phenomenon on virtually every car I've ever owned (that's 40 years' worth of driving) - it's not just isolated to Hyundais. But, if you're really concerned, take your car to a Hyundai take-yer-money-ship and talk to the service department about it. If they agree it's the struts, given the low mileage, you'd probably have a valid warranty claim. (1 yr/12,000 miles on "consummables") You might also want to check the trunk for anything loose. The spare tire well is especially prone since the spare may not be fully tightened down, or the jack may not be fully secured, either. I always put the jack tools and their cheesey hairball holster under the sidewall of the tire before cinching the locking nut down - that way the tools are under tension and less likely to clunk around. The jack can be tricky to mount properly. Once mounted I twist the jack screw by hand to expand the scissors mechanism enough to tension the jack against its mount. (Don't get on it with too much pressure, though - you want to be able to unmount it by hand reasonably easy in the event of a flat.)
  • yeayeayeayea Member Posts: 4
    Is it possible to set the alarm, when the remote press to lock the door?
  • josecjosec Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 hyundai sonata and the fuse for the radio keeps going out i have to be changing the fuse at least 4 times a week sometimes even more what could be the problem???
  • onurebelonurebel Member Posts: 2
    Did you end up buying the Sonata? My wife and I are planning to buy one tonight. As for your question, it is illegal for a dealer to refuse to honor the warranty simply because routine maintenance was not done at the dealer.
    That is correct, but there is a flip side to that coin. The vehicle owner is obligated to present proof that timely service has been performed at the required intervals listed in the owner's manual. If an independent shop, receipts detailing the work and the materials used are sufficient. If the owner elects to do the maintenance himself, then receipts for materials (oil, various fluids, filters, etc.) AND a handwritten log detailing the work done, mileage, and date have to be available for dealership inspection in the event of a warranty claim against a powertrain problem. An owner doesn't have to prove competence, either. Even if the service manager claims the car owner couldn't pour motor oil out of its bottle with instructions printed on the bottom, that's insufficient. The manufacturer, dealership, or the service manager would have to prove to a jury that the car's owner is an automotive moron in order to wiggle out of the stated warranty's provisions.
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    jt,
    I apologize for overlooking your reply to my message. Since I sent the posting I tried disconnecting the battery which was a response to another sonata owner with the same problem. My radio worked fine for about 2 weeks, then it started acting up again. I believe I will take your advice and let well enough alone until it stops working; then go from there. Thanks again for the response. Tom
    Has anyone out there attempted to use the extended warranty purchased with a new Hyundai? We paid $1100 for the extended HPP warranty when we bought our 2003 Sonata LX that was to include everything the new car limited warranty covered - but for the full 100K miles. At first I thought maybe I had not paid attention and did not read the fine print - but after a thorough review of the warranty in my owners manual I have decided that is not the case. Hyundai does not uphold the provisions stated in their warranty - they decide on a part by part basis if they want to cover it or not. Even though the warranty says everything is covered if it is not specifically identified in the warranty exclusions. So - be prepared and do not waste your money on the extended warranty if you have not already done so. The power train warranty that came with the price of the new car covers everything that the HPP does. If anyone else out there has had any experience with filing claims on non power train related, please let me know the outcome.
  • kman54kman54 Member Posts: 12
    You might want to check and see if your extended warranty contract allows early termination. If it does you might be able to recoup some of that 1100.00.

I was able to do that a few years ago when I traded in a car 2 years before the extended warranty was up and got back a pro-rated refund.

All extended warranty contracts dont offer this option but it might be worth checking out. Good Luck!
  • kman54kman54 Member Posts: 12
    I am wondering if anyone owning a 2006 Sonata is having CEL problems. I have owned my Sonata about a month and the light came on last week. The usual culprit to this is a loose gas cap but after opening and closing that cap and getting the expected clicks that indicate a good vapor seal I still couldnt get that light to go out.

I took it to the dealer and he checked the car out and stated that there was a small vapor leak caused by a loose gas cap. I still am not convinced that was all there was to it but the light is out for now and keeping my fingers crossed this does not become a nagging problem.

I glanced at the daily worksheet at the dealership and saw a high number of CEL warranty work being done on quite a few cars on that day alone.

Is anyone else out there having similar problems with their Sonatas? Thanks