Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tomsawyer1tomsawyer1 Member Posts: 4
    Exactly.

"Oh, that's normal. Don't worry about it, and just turn the stereo up."

LOL.
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Pruoff:
    I am glad you're back. I filed with the BBB, that was a waste of time and hope. I am so disgusted with Hyundai too. I am also writing a letter to the CEO, hopeing this may cause some action to get my car fixed. Let me know how it goes for you with BBB. I am so fed up I can hardly talk about my $15,000 dollar mistake anymore.
  • gibigibi Member Posts: 9
    Purchased new 06 Sonata. After 400 hundred miles car drifted to the left, Dealer aligned the front end twice with no solution found. They finally off set the camber, which eliminated most of the problem, but on the interstate or certain road surfaces it still wants to wander to the left.I have to hold the wheel to right to keep it between the lines. Any help or advise is appreciated.
  • tsingotsingo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do feel the vibration of the engine at stop, but that is acceptable (comparable to other cars I drove). I hope a balancing will fix the problem. Will check it out with the dealer this week.
    Please post details of any repair your dealership does to fix your vibration problem. You would really be helping others out by doing so. What state do you live in and what car do you have. 4 cylinder gl or gls or v6? Also, my car (4 cylinder GL) only had a vibration in the steering wheel when I first bought it and many miles later (I'm at 5,000 now) I now have a vibration so bad I literally vibration in the seat, I have started to put the car in park at lights and traffic stops to release my foot from the brake and release my hands from the steering wheel to minimize my body from being subject to severe vibration. Guess what ~ Hyundai Corporation says this is how the car was designed! They are ripping people off and getting away with it.
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a new LX or GLS V6, but I'm a little bit nervous because of all the problems I am reading about.

I know resale will be pretty bad, but I'm willing to roll the dice on that since I plan on keeping this car for at least 6 or 7 years.

Have the problems with the new Sonata been prolific, or an expected level?

Also, how are Hyundai dealers and the company itself in terms of resolving problems?

Thanks.
  • pruoffpruoff Member Posts: 18
    I am one of the people complaining about the vibrations in my 2005 Sonata. I will never EVER buy another car from Hyundai. And my advice to you regarding even considering buying one is "Be afraid - be very, very afraid!"
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Pruoff,

While I feel sorry that you are having problems with your Sonata, yours seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I currently own an 04 Sonata LX (wife's car) and an 05 Tucson LX AWD and both have been rock-solid reliable vehicles that have not called for extra maintainence or repairs beyond their recommended services. As far as service, the dearship has been very good to us whenever either vehicle is in for routine service. For my part, I will and have recommended Hyundai products to friends and family when they are looking for new vehicles.

So for joedirt's benefit, I guess that means you can put me in the "will definitely buy another Hyundai" camp. ;)
    I will never buy another Hyundai, not only because of the problem I am having, but also because Hyundai has done nothing to solve the problem. No customer assistance what so ever. NO ATTEMPT TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Be careful!! My problem started after I left the lot and no one will help solve it. If as stated in the reply to Pruoff from Tenpin288 that it is isolated then why do they work so hard at ignoring the problem and acting like it does not exist. They should be trying everything to fix the car. Watch out Tenpin288, you may be in the same position too someday.
  • andraeandrae Member Posts: 18
    I bought my Sonata 2/23/06 and it's been great except for this annoying rear end noise. Today as I was removing some things from the trunk, I closed the lid and noticed that the license plate made some noise. I quickly disovered that the plate was loose and could possibly be the culprit of the rattling noises. I tightened the plate down and took the car for a ride. NO RATTLES!!! (so far).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    You have to take into consideration the nature of car boards in general. People who have problems with their cars post most often in hope of finding a kindred soul or even a solution to the problem. Those of us that have had NO problems seldom post saying how great the car is. This is true whether you read the Toyota board, Honda, etc. I have a Toyota Highlander as well and much of the posting on that board would make you think it had many problems when in fact it is one of the most problem free vehicles you can buy.
  • unhappygirlunhappygirl Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the belts slipping? I was driving my 2001 Sonata that has 69,000 miles and it sounded like one of the belts broke( had previously started squeeling) and then all of a sudden the car came to a slow stop. Everything was still running but the car. So I had it towed to the dealership and today they gave me the worst information. They say the timing belt didnt break it had a couple of teeth come off which made the belt slip and now my engine is locked up and will require a new one.. a new one is $4500 plus labor and a used one is $1500 plus labor ($3500 estimate) Since I was the 2nd owner and bought it at 29,000 miles in 2003 i'm pretty much screwed.. I still owe a significant amount of money on this car that now will not run... All the dealership could say is "did you buy a extended warrenty(no as the GM who sold it to me didnt offer it) and " it was recommended that you change the belt at 60,000 miles.. now who actually follows that to a T? I bought a hyundai since it suposedly was the best and had the best warranty.. I was tired of the american cars. As I look back my 99 dodge avenger with 110,000 miles and the prev 1992 Chevy Beretta with 189,000 miles wasnt so bad. :lemon:
  • skip000skip000 Member Posts: 13
    Hello Joedirt,I bought a beautiful Sonata LX last week and so far it runs flawlessly.I am very happy with it's silky smooth feel, and very quick acceleration. :)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Replacement of timing belt is crucial, regardless of car make.

In the early 90's Honda's were especially sensitive to the 60,000 mile mark, "according" to a mechanic friend. 60,000 meant 60, not 61,000. At the time, they were more sensitive to the milage interval than most other cars.

On a similar topic some time ago, someone stated that Accord's now have timing chains. Timing chains do need replacement eventually, but they don't suddenly "let go" the way a rubber belt can.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    If the Hyundai dealership you go to is not fixing your problem, then you should have raised the issue with Hyundai corporate. To my knowledge, HyundaiUSA is really good as far as customers satisfaction (loyalty within the top 5 last time I checked) is concerned. There are far worst automakers than Hyundai in this area.

Instead of dismissing a brand, just go to another dealership instead.
    Yeah, bhmr59 is right on...around 60-60k, timing belt should be checked and (most likely) need to be replaced).

Glad the Sonata uses a chain, which requires much less maintenance, if any :)
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Its only been a few months but I love my 2006 Sonata. I have an uncle that has a 2005 Sonata and loves it. It just sounds like some people are meant to have bad luck.
    Some posts here are indeed real problems (and as said, something that happens to all cars, and all brands); while others posts are here for whatever reasons they might be.

:)
  • sonotasonota Member Posts: 5
    WELL I HAVE A NEW 06 SONOTA LX WITH V6 AND THE OPTIONAL AMP AND SUBWOOFER WITH SUNROOF. ITS AT THE DEALERSHIP . HYUNDAI HAS SENT OUT A ENGINEER MY CAR GAS TANK SLOSHES THERE ARE NO BAFFLES IN THE TANK I WAS TOLD, AND THEY WANT TO BUY IT BACK BECAUSE IT MAKES A CLUNKING SOUND FROM THE PASSENGER REAR THAT THE ENGINEER DOES NOT KNOW WHY ? I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY WANT TO BUY IT BACK FROM ME .OF COURSE THEY WANT ME PURCHASE THE AZZERA. I AM REALLY STUPID WHY WOULD I PURCHASE THE AZZERA ITS NEW AND THEY HAVE TO WORK OUT ALL OF THE BUGS WITH IT. WHY DONT THEY JUST FIX THE DAMN CAR I HAVE NOW .DESIGN A GAS TANK WITH BAFFLES TO FIX THE FUEL FROM SLOSHING IN IT AND ISOLATE THE REAR END SUSPENSION NOISE WEATHER ITS A BUSHING OR A BUSTED SHOCK , JUST FIX IT AND GIVE ME BACK MY CAR. I AM IN THE AUTO BUSINESS, THIS CAR HAS DEVOLOPED A LOT OF LITTLE BUGS , BUT I LOVE IT . IT LOOKS GOOD AND RUNS LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL . NO I AM NOT GOING TO LET THEM BUY IT BACK JUST TO PUT ME IN ANOTHER PROBLEM CAR . THIS WAS MY SECOND HYUNDAI AND THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE.
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    No offense meant, but I can't figure out if you're complaining or boasting about Hyundai???
  • wolfman1192wolfman1192 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 06 Sonata and was wondering if these problems are related or if they are two totally separate issues? Also, does anyone know if Hyundai is coming out with a fix? According to the Hyundai customer care rep I spoke with, they are working on resolving the rear end noise but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything further.
    I feel so bad that the BBB did nothing to help you. Now you should get an attorney that specializes in the lemon law. Hyundai will have to pay the attorney and court costs, so it won't cost you anything. I hope you do this, because it is the only way you will get your money back or another car.

I will let you know what happens with the BBB. I should be hearing from them soon. I already have an attorney lined up to fight my case for me if BBB does nothing.

Pat
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    I also have a 06 Sonata LX but do not have the gas tank problem. I do have some rear suspension noise when on a bumpy road. I have added some carpet pad between the trunk floor pan and carpet with some reduction in the suspension noise. Not a solution but helps. Please keep me informed on any action by Hyundai in addressing this rear suspension noise issue.
  • skip000skip000 Member Posts: 13
    I also have a new Sonata LX and I cannot hear any gas sloushing around the tank.I was exspecting to hear this noise, since I read alot of complaints about this but even with careful listening, I cannot hear any unusual noise.Do you think the auto plant fixed the problem with the newer models rolling off the assembly line???...I just bought my car a week ago and it has a full tank of gas.
    I have had my Sonata since Nov 2005 and did not notice the gas sloshing until a few days ago. I had a full tank of gas and was stop and go traffic where the road was on a slight decline. At first I thought it was something moving in my trunk but after reading this forum and putting 2 and 2 together I realized it was the gas sloshing around.

I refuse to bash this car due to these problems because I am very satisfied with the vehicle overall. I had a Chevy Trailblazer before this and the car was at the dealership 19 times in 24 months!! Every manufacturer has some bad apples but it should not spoil the bunch. I am just hoping that Hyundai will hear all of the customer complaints and address these issues. If anyone having these issues has not addressed these issues with Hyundai, call them and let them know that these issues are common amongst all of the cars and there should be a recall.
  • navotinavoti Member Posts: 17
    I'm sorry but it's hard for me to sympathize with your situation. First of all these are both issues Hyundai Corporate has stated they are working to address. Secondly they have offered to give you another car. Isn't this exactly what customer service in the auto industry should be? Buy a Tucson if you don't want the Azera. Thirdly for those of you other Sonata users beward these boards because they can make you paranoid about your new car. All cars are going to have some small sqeaks or minor issues. My new Tribute had a tranny that searched at 55 mph and check engine lights came on, headlights fogged up, etc... My new Saab has squeaks, heated seats melted the seat cover, 3rd gear feels weird when I shift. Our Pontiac Bonneville has always had high a pitched whine, squeaks, lights do odd things. We're talking about thousands of components working together in a car and if you expect every one to work flawlessly your expectations may be a little too high. SO yes do make your local dealer aware of the minor issues and see if they can address them, have them discuss the issues with corporate to get them to report the issues to corporate but it just isn't worth the stress because every car if you look closely enough and listen very closely is going to have small issues.
    Pat: Please keep in contact through the forum as to how it is going for you with BBB. They move pretty quick. I decided not to go to arbitration because I did not feel I would get a fair chance. I will look into the arbitration later. Are you on yahoo, I am. Have you ever notice inside the drivers door on the running board there is a metal sticker saying when your car was made and where. Mine says Made in Korea on 11.04.04, take a look maybe there is a connection about the date the car was made and the problem. Also, does your car vibrate while in gear, park or neutral while at a stop. My car is vibrating so bad now that I am putting it in park to let my foot off the brake and let my hands off the steering wheel, so I will physically not vibrate as much. The seat and floor still shake, but by putting it in park helps a little to not feel the vibration as much. I am not saying this is a good thing, just a desparate act. Did you get a answer from the CEO, I also wrote a letter and have not heard anything yet. I am very frustrated ~ I am glad to have someone to talk to about this who is in the same shoes.
    slm60504
  • andraeandrae Member Posts: 18
    I have to agree with navoti. Some of the posts on this forum have caused me to look for faults with my new vehicle instead of just enjoying it. Ever since I tightened up the rear license plate, my car has been silent.

I'm very pleased with my car and plan on enjoying it from this point forward.

Good luck to all.
  • kburke2kburke2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello , I am new to the message board, so I don't know your whole story, but I have a 2006 Sonata purchased in July. It had such a vibration mostly noticeable when I came to stop sign or red light.( like a rough idle) The dealer couldn't find what was wrong. They called in a factory rep and had my whole engine tore down for weeks. They finally found that a compression ring was missing on the one piston. HUsband & I couldn't believe i, but It cured the vibration problem.
    My problem now is that since my last oil change there is a burnt-hot smell . Every time I come home and pull in garage I smell it. I waited a few weeks after the oil change before I complained thinking they may have just spilled some oil somewhere but it's been months now. They can't find anything wrong, nor did it smell when I was at dealership.( figures) Now I am due for another oil change so I again complained of the burning smell. It is not brakes. Only other 2things are sometimes my lights dim just for a second, and yes the rear end thumps or makes a noise over bumps.
    I like the look of my car and the power but really getting tired of the problems.
    Please give me more info if you have it or tell me what mesages to read.
    Thanks
    kburke2
  • sean15sean15 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 Sonata GLS in Novemeber and this week it's finally warm enough here in Atlanta for me to start rolling my windows down on a regular basis. I've noticed that since I've been rolling my windows down that they are getting scratched up pretty bad on the outside. I checked down beside the windows and there doesn't seem to be a lot of dust/dirt that would scratch them up so I'm thinking this might be a design flaw and something down inside the door is scratching them up. I've only noticed this on my front windows but I really haven't been rolling the back ones down. Out of all the cars I've owned I've never had my side windows get scratched up like this.

Has anyone else noticed their side windows getting scratched up like this? You might want to take close look at them to see.

Thanks...
    Have you used glass cleaner to clean the windows, in other words are they really scratches in the glass or just marks that can be cleaned off.
    On the Hondas I have owned that needed timing belts replaced, you do it 5 or 10k miles ahead of schedule because if it does go your whole motor goes with it. Preventative maintanance is key with timing belts. Sorry to hear about your issue though, that really sucks!
  • sean15sean15 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Navoti...

No they are definitely scratches because I can run my fingernail over them and feel the scratch in the glass and a couple of them are fairly deep. There are about 4 pretty significant scratches on my front driver’s side window and probably about 7 or 8 pretty significant scratches on my front passenger window. I’ve never quite seen anything like it before. I’ve owned cars for 5 or 6 years that didn’t develop scratches like this thing has in 3 months. These have to be happening when I’m rolling the windows down because they were not there up until a week or so ago when I started rolling the windows up and down during the day when I’m out driving around. Up until the other week I hadn’t rolled the windows down but a couple of times because it’s been too cold to have them down and that’s probably why I didn’t notice the scratches until now.

However, I will say that other than these scratches I’ve been pretty happy with the car...
    I had a similar issue occur with my Tribute. A plow drenched my driver side window and the sand went down into the sleeve where the window is seated in the door and scratched the glass. If you have been splashed pretty good in a snowy area or have parked the car somewhere where a plow or large vehicle could give it a good splash then it may be a similar situation.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    Whats the problem, you have a defective car they agree and want to buy back. What more could you ask for. If you like the car buy another.
  • stealth6stealth6 Member Posts: 13
    The thump you hear when going over bumps is the spare tire. Tighten it down good. That burning smell may be electrical since your lights dim momentarily.
    That thumping noise you hear when going over a bump is probably the spare tire. I had the same problem with my 2006 LX and I tightened down the spare really tight and the noise quit. I do have sloshing from the gas tank when it is full.
    Tighten down your spare tire, and I mean tighten.
    That clicking noise you hear is the electrical solenoid releasing the shift lever when you apply the brakes. It's a safety feature to keep you from putting the car in gear without putting on the brake first.
  • de1029de1029 Member Posts: 52
    2000 sonata approx. 80,000 miles.
    start engine and you can hear it racing. rpms over 2000.
    step on gas to try to break it and it just remains at the new/higher rpm.
    i'm thinking a sensor. believe i am wasting gas, also.
    in addition, rpm's can be dropped by use of brake pedal. but, subsequent step on gas pedal causes rpm's to rev up again.
    of course...there are those quiet moments when the car doesn't do this.
    also, get the impression that transmission lurches or 'drops.'
    i asked dealer to check transmission over a month ago and they said it was ok.
    appreciate any thoughts before i drop in on the dealer.
    TIA
    joe
    Hi,
    My car was made in December, so our cars weren't made on the same date. My car does not vibrate when in neutral or park. And sometimes the vibrations are mild, and other times the steering wheel will shake. Sometimes the vibrations start almost immediately, and other times they won't start for 5 or 10 minutes. It's really crazy!

I'm on yahoo, too. I'm not expecting a reply from the CEO. My daughter said it's probably sitting on one of their lawyer's desks. They have to watch what they say, so if we get an answer at all, it will just be full of platitudes.

If you have time, let me know exactly what happened during the BBB phone call.

Will keep in touch.
    Pat
    Thanks for the tip about the spare tire. I have since tightened it and the rear end noise is much less but not completely eliminated. I am not sure weather it is still the spare tire or just the fact that the oversized trunk magnifies all sounds coming from the rear.
    I have also chased the rear suspension noise driving on bumpy roads. Checked and tighten the spare, played with the trunk adjustment, and added some carpet pad between the trunk floor pan and the carpet. It seems the problem is that the rear suspension noise traveling into the trunk area. The trunk being large does not help in filtering the noise. Another approach may be to add the aluminum backed rubber material the audio people use to the trunk floor and spare wheel well.
    I think you may be on to something here. I think dynamat may be the answer here. Check out the link here http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynamat_xtreme.html
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't know if it would help or not, but I haven't seen anyone suggest this possible way to help locate rear end noise.

Take a passenger in the rear seat, fold down the other side of the rear seat and see if the passenger can locate or narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Maybe that will help. Maybe it's a dumb idea. But it won't cost anything to find out.
    I have lowered the rear seat and leaned into the trunk area while my son drove the car. It seems to be the rear suspension noise that I hear. Most is coming through the floor area but some maybe transmitted by the rear shock towers.
    I have been holding off due to the expensive pricing of the material. In checking earlier, the material alone would be well over $100 to do the trunk area. Let me know your results if you try the dynamat material.
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    Try Iceguard at Home Depot or Lowe's (sometimes also sold as weatherguard). It's normally used for weatherproofing but it's essentially the same thing as brown bread and other dynamat alternatives at a much lower price. Nearly all of these products are foil backed and sticky with some sort of dampener, though much of the benefit is the added weight changing the resonance of the metal. Ice and weatherguard are both foil backed tar based products I believe. Iceguard works quite well though and is much cheaper, as I said.

good luck
  • sonlxsonlx Member Posts: 21
    Greetings everyone,

I hope everyone is happy with their sonata. Aside from my poor city gas mileage I am very happy with mine. A few questions. (1)I am wondering at how many miles folks have replaced their brakes and if they recommend doing that at the dealership? (2) Were the brakes just like when you bought the car? (3) Anyone have any comments on the new 06 Sonata or 06 Azera? Is it worth it to trade up? I have a 03 V6 Lx Sonata with 31000 miles on it.

Thank You for your time. :)
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    It depends on driving conditions: Replacement needed more frequently in city driving.
    I had a 4 year Sonata with 50K and the brakes were still in very good shape. You will have to take it to a brake shop for inspection: (usually it is free).
    I wouldn't take it to a dealer for a brake job... unless you want to pay double+.
    The 2006 Sonatas are worth the trade up: a lot of improvements!