Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andraeandrae Member Posts: 18
    The agreed upon price was $22,095. Rebates were $1,000 for the car, $1,000 for financing w/ HMFC and $500 auto show rebate for a total of $2,500. This brought my price to $19,595.

Since you're in IL, the dealer was Gartner Hyundai in Aurora. They offer free carwashes as often as you like for as long as you own the car and free loaners during service. If that's not important to you or you're too far away, the Hyundai dealer in Tinley Part offered me the same car for $45 less.

I believe the $500 auto show rebate ends tomorrow.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • mjchsfmjchsf Member Posts: 16
    So you did get the graduate rebate in addition to the HMFC financing rebate of $1,000? I was told by a dealer that the graduate rebate cannot be combined with any HMFC rebate/special offer (the $1,000 financing rebate in this case), and it looks like Hyundaiusa.com shows the same information. Did the dealer give you this rebate without you asking for it? Thanks.
  • ludovicludovic Member Posts: 7
    Officially they two are not combinable. But if you look at the posts here, lots of people got both.

For me, the I kept the graduate rebate secret until we agreed with the final price. The salesman give me a ;) smile and told me no problem without hesitating. Generally this dealer is funny, they know all the tricks we want to play. :surprise:
    BTW, my dealer said, Hyundai is going to remove the financing rebate since too many people playing with the game.
    Thanks for your information. Did the dealer mean that the financing rebate will be removed by this month end?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Maybe they will get their interest rates more in line then. They are using 7.75% interest rate at the present. That means that if you are going to refinance, it needs to be done as soon as possible to save some of that money. My credit union is giving a 4.6% for the same loan, and/or time frame,60 months.
    Yes. That's what he said. Actually I partially believe him since all their salesman tell me to pay off the loan as soon as possible. They seems don't expect to earn too much from that.
    Someone said you can call to pay off the loan before you receive the package?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I received my "package" I would call it a notification, as there was only a page showing 3 or 4 payment forms, just last week..I bought on 7 Feb, I requested a payoff figure, it was sent back immediately via e-mail an amount due as of the 1st payment date, which I should probably beat, depending on all the mail shuffles. Other than that, just a thank you from them. I requested my payoff online, via email. They got back the same date. surprise :):)
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    We just purchased GLS V6 + Sunroof (dark cinnamon for wife's car) for $17,117 with NO trade! It had 15 miles on it. This included $3,000 in rebates (loyalty..). We will pay off before payment book arrives. This also included a $17.00 NE state processing fee with no other fees. We pay sales tax when we get it licensed in Nebraska.

My wife has been set on an Accord for the last 5 years until we test drove all on the same day. The dealer went and bought an '06 Accord and Camery to test side by side. What a difference in room, ride, and value! We skipped any extended warranty since we had no problems with our 10 year old Elantra. I'm still in shock that we got this for $17,100!
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    LOL! My wife did that I can never figure that stuff out!
    Yesterday, I was looking at two 4-Cylinder Sonanta GSL which were manufactured on Nov 23rd and Dec 1st 2005, respectively. So it has been 3 months. Have they been out on the lot for too long? When were the first redesigned 2006 Sonnatas introduced to the martket? It looks like the dealer can offer a good price for the month end if I can take the car today.
    If I can get one without any optional features at $16,000 or a little above, will it be a good deal? Considering Previousamigo got a V6 with sunroof for $17,117, I am targeting at %16,000 for a 4-cylinder. I won't get the loyalty rebate of $1,000, but I can get the $400 college graduate rebate.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $16k + T&L with $1900 in rebates is a very good deal, about $600 under invoice (not including the advertising fee, which some dealers pass on to buyers). You might actually find more aggressive pricing on the V6 models; my local dealers have a lot more of those in stock than 4-cylinder models. One of them recently advertised a GLS V6 with moonroof for $15,500.
    We've just agreed upon a price of $16k+TTL+$79 doc fee over phone. I drove one of the two cars with the color I want yesterday. I am going to take a closer look to see which one I will take this afternoon.
  • ersatz07ersatz07 Member Posts: 7
    Pearl White 2006 Sonata LX with Option 3 Package:
    I got it for $21k out-the-door from Scott Hyundai in El Monte, CA. This was after $3k in rebates. I had a few dealers fighting for my business (and they weren't happy!). The rate they first offered me was 7.99%, after all was done I left with 6.25%. I'm still debating on whether or not to refi, the best rate I can find is 5.75%, so it's not much of a difference. All in all I think I got a GREAT deal for the car I'm driving. 6-disc changer, heated seats, V6....you can't beat this car.
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Is a 10 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty available for a 2006 Sonata LX w/sunroof?
    Any idea how much it costs?

Thanks,
    Suzanna
  • 10seboy210seboy2 Member Posts: 3
    You got the same deal that I got at Jenkins Hyundai in Ocala, FL. The car is superb and it cetainly was worth the wait for me to get one in the pearl whiite powder. GREAT car; classy color!
    $1,100 factory warranty is what we were told for the 10/100,000 bumper to bumper on the GLS V6 with sunroof from Sid Dillon in Lincoln NE.
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Since you both got the $3,000 rebates, you are previous Hyundai owners.

What previous car did/do you have?
    How long did you keep them?
    Do they require many repairs?
    Just wondering how they hold up compared to say my current Accord.

Thanks,
    S
  • ersatz07ersatz07 Member Posts: 7
    What previous car did/do you have?
    I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra and a 2003 Santa Fe.

How long did you keep them?
    I still have both. I am going to sell the Elantra because it was my daily driver until I got the Sonata.

Do they require many repairs?
    I literally haven't needed to do any repairs, other than normal maintenance, on either car. Well, that's not true. I've had to replace the headlights in the Elantra a few times.

Both cars are great otherwise I wouldn't have invested in another Hyundai. You can actually take a look at my 2001 elantra at the site I set up for it at www.my-hyundai-elantra.com. I'll have a site up for my Sonata soon.
  • 10seboy210seboy2 Member Posts: 3
    I do not own another Hyundai. All that i received in rebates was $2000. Sorry that I can't help you more.
  • johnm1johnm1 Member Posts: 6
    got a 06 gls mine dont scroll either my 03 elantra w Kenwood opyion worked fine ,needs mmore feedback if a problem .
  • 94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    I found out that mine does scroll by using the right knob on the stereo. I still have to figure out what the Root directory means and I have to encode all my MP3's with the album and artist info. I used Itunes and I just figured that since the artist and album info shows up on my Itunes screen that it would show up on my stereo.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Finally it's over!. Car is incredible. Dealer wanted $1000 HMFC rebate back. However would settle for an extra $500, told them NO!

2006 Loaded LX Out the Door Price

Trade, 2005 Base Auto Elantra with C/C (3404 Miles)
    Cashiers Check for $9333.00

This was the most convoluted Car deal I have ever participated in. This also seems like the best Auto purchase ever, both in value and quality. I've been driving the Car for 10 days, and didn't want to give it up. The thought of taking my Elantra back was terrible! :lemon:
    So, you got to keep the $1000 HMFC rebate even though you did not finance through them??
    Yes! In fact they knew this was very important to me, as I went in for the base Sonata. However Dealers feed on all sorts of additional profit margins, and I knew this was going to be an issue. Of course they re-worked the figures to eliminate one of the the (3) $1000 rebates.

Backy, you have been very helpful in these forums during the past year and a half, so I will pose a question to you. How much do you feel my Elantra was worth used to a Dealer, 9K, or 10K. All the books lead more to that 9K figure (aside from the proprietary NADA book that supposedly said 10K?. Can one get a better trade in with their Hyundai, if they are in fact trading it in to a Hyundai Dealer?
    That's a toughie. I really don't know enough about the situation (condition, equipment, mileage etc.) to say one way or the other. There's a Real-World Trade In discussion in Town Hall that could give you a better answer.

I always thought I could get a better price on a trade in (a good, clean car, low miles etc.) from a dealer of the same make than from someone else, but I'm no expert on that subject. I actually have little experience trading cars in. I take good care of them and put few miles on them so I usually sell them myself, or they are leased so I either walk away, or buy them from the finance company (if they give me a real good deal) and then resell them myself.

You seem to be happy with the transaction, and you have a new Sonata LX to drive, so that is the important thing.
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    I wouldn't worry about it... if you put your cards on the table and they went ahead and ok'd it!

I just traded my 2006 GL I4 (with auto 4 speed)... drove it 3,000 miles in 4 months... and got all my cash purchase back; including sales tax/$600 destination charge/$399 Doc. fee.
    Replaced it with an LX : Total extra out of pocket came to $4,400 (including Tax/all fees/registration), plus what I already paid for the GL.(16k OTD)+ 3K Rebates.
    The worrying was during the last 10 days, as it would have torn me up to give back the LX. Today put the end to worrying as the LX is now paid in full with no payments. However I did have to use my Cash, and not that I have an unlimited supply, but things might be a little tighter than if it was financed. Again on the positive side, no payments, and no finance charges ($3000 over 6 Years) at 10.9%. Today was the first day I used the manual Auto shift feature, now that is fun!. Question about the ESC, and the ESC button?. Why would anyone want to turn it off in the first place?. This Car Rocks!
  • fk322fk322 Member Posts: 15
    Why would anyone want to turn it off in the first place?. This Car Rocks! You should turn off the ESC button when starting from a stopped position in heavy snow (better traction.)
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Great to hear of your new car deal, have a blast in that LX, I know I'd be having even more fun in our GLSV6 if it was paid off :)
    Great to hear of your new car deal, have a blast in that LX, I know I'd be having even more fun in our GLSV6 if it was paid off

Thank you my friend!. While it is payment free, it took a chunk of my Savings to make it possible. I just got back from my Detail shop, getting it waxed again, and having a few spots touched up, with the official Hyundai touch up pen. One side has the paint, the other has the clear coat. Since my car went through 100 miles worth of test drives (yes, 100) and the most powerful Hurricane in History, it had a few spots that needed attention. You should see it right now. I guarantee tomorrow it wont look as nice, as it rains almost every day in South Florida!.
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    Everyone, I need help.

I can get a new Sonata GLS V6 with the following equipment:

Package 01/AA - 01

16" WHEELS W/MICHELIN TIRES
    4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES W/ABS
    A/C W/FILTER
    AM/FM/CD/MPS RADIO
    AUTO LIGHT CONTROL
    CARPETED FLOOR MATS
    CHROME-TIPPED DUAL EXHAUSTS
    CRUISE CONTROL
    DUAL FRONT AND SIDE AIRBAGS
    ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
    FOG LIGHTS
    FRONT SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS
    LEATHER WRAPPED SHIFT KNOB
    POWER HEATED OUTSIDE MIRRORS
    POWER WINDOWS,LOCKS,MIRRORS
    REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY W/ALARM
    SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS
    STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS
    TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
    TRIP COMPUTER

MSRP is $21,495

I haggled with 4 dealers, and got one to quote me $16,863, plus tax, title and license.

Is this a good price? Thank you.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    That's a great price you got. I would take it :)
    Thanks joe.

I appreciate the feedback.

Is that better than average?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    "Is that better than average?"

I would say so!!

Just make sure you thoroughly examine the car pre-delivery; not just because of the exceptional price, but as a regular practice, and in the case with any new/used cars.
    We got the same vehichle last week with a sunroof for an extra $900 (msrp) which made our sticker MSRP $22,395. With sunroof we paid $17,100 (No trade but includes $3000 in rebates). So we basically got a sunroof for $237 more than yours without the sunroof.

Tax, title, and license is paid later at the county DMV office in our state.
  • kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    When I look on various web sites I see the invoice price for a base LX at 21,561 (Including dest) however when I went to a local dealer he gave me the invoice price of 22,061 and said a $500 Advertisement charge is added to all LX's, Is everyone seeing this extra $500 in their buying experiences. I am in upstate NY, also can anyone tell me what the $800 consumer check is I see mentioned in some postings.
    Thanks
  • jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    Just grabbed an LX w/ no other options for $17,500 after 3k in rebates. Was that decent? That's before taxes of course.
    If true... it must be a demo!
    Very unlikely price, even for a desperate dealer!
  • 04sunfire04sunfire Member Posts: 4
    Purchased an 05 Sonata GL in January of 2005 brand new from Lester Glenn Pontiac in Toms River, New Jersey. Nicest sales people in the world. Not there to rip you off like those scumbags at Freehold Hyundai. Freehold Hyundai has the most rude, obnoxious, sales people in the entire world, don't buy from them. Anyway...
    Sticker on the Sonata was $17,765.
    Rebate $750
    Lester Glenn Loyalty $2000
    College Grad $500
    Wheeling and dealing...
    Final purchase price $13,200 with tax and tags.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Check out the fitzmall.com. $17500 appears to be the going rate for a LX with $3k rebates. Their internet prices are with $2k rebates (just regular and financing rebates) with LXs at $18500.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Don't forget that Fitzmall says you have to add a $99 doc fee. They've still got great prices. Their site says typical doc fees in their area is about $300.

Again, adding $99 to their internet price makes it a helluva price. People who have bought there said there was no Barbra Streisand and that the buying experience was excellent.

I wouldn't exactly use Fitzmall as a benchmark for "going rate."
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    They are great prices, but they can be had all day long. They are not demos, and Fitz would not be called desperate.

Okay to restate, that price is the "going rate" at a major dealership for any new Sonata LX without options.
    Okay, I think I may try to get my local dealer to match Fitz's rate on a new LX ($17,500).

They had quoted me a nicely equipped GLS V6 for about $16,800.

I also think these prices may come down a little, so there's some risk in not waiting.

There was an article I just read about how long it takes for car dealers to sell certain cars, and they said the Sonata has been languishing on dealer lots for a long time.

I think prestige/status has something to do with this, which I really don't care about anyways.
    I find it hard to believe that any dealer can discount an LX $3,000 and not loose money!

If their profit margin is equal or more than $3,000 of MSRP, then I am at a loss to understand their pricing policy!
    I can't see how they can go that much below the so called Invoice Price.
    They're really discounting it more than $5,200 off MSRP. And yes, I'm serious.

A really, really good deal on a LX right now would be right at the $17k mark.

A good deal is $17,500.

I actually am wondering if the GLS V6 would give better ride quality, though, because of the 16" rather than 17" tires, and the slightly softer suspension.
  • jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    17,500 was my price on a NEW sonata LX w/ 14 miles on it.
    I used Fitzmall as my benchmark and my local dealer said they would match their price. Perhaps I could have done better but this I thought was still a great offer. I believe April brings a car show to the NY area. If incentives stay as they've been you should be able to get an additional $500 off w/ a car show rebate. I just wasn't willing to roll the dice and wait anymore.

First tank of gas so far getting 19.4 mpg w/ city driving.
    I now understand complaints about the seat length being to short and the angle of the seat position sloping down. Although it didn't bother me when I test drove it I can see this as an issue. I'm only 5'8" but even for me I would much prefer a longer seat bottom cushion and even w/ the power seat it JUST barely makes the slope of the seat exceptable. But it's a hell-uv-a-car for 17,500.

THANK YOU to all who have posted in the past who have helped me make an informed purchase!
    jib - What rebates did they give you, and did you have any kind of Hyundai Loyalty rebate from owning a Hyundai before?

Thanks.

I'm a little nervous about resale, and I'm trying to get an LX for about 17k.