Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    basshnter1... Too late to worry now.

Hard to know. What was the MSRP? Invoice? Was this a cash purchase? Did you finance and get special finance deal? Did you trade in a car? What did you get for trade?

Based on what I see on boards and in newspapers, seems like that price was a bit high for a no-option Sonata GLS. Pulled today's newspaper ads. One local Hyundai dealer selling "2004 Sonata" for $11,865 but that includes every conceivable discount (military, Hyundai loyalty, college grad). This dealer indictes there is a $2,000 factory rebate and he'll discount the car $2,255 off MSRP. Other local Hyundai dealer also touting the $2,000 rebate plus $1800 dealer discount off MSRP.
  • ray hray h Member Posts: 120
    Besides all that, come mid-September, it'll be worth about $2,000.00 less, anyhow. Like riez said, don't worry about it now. Presumably you did buy a Hyundai because of its liberal warranties, right? And you plan to keep it long enough to drive its value out of it? Obsessing over deal "coulda-beens" just makes your psychiatrist wealthier - even if he squeaked by at the bottom of his board certification exams.
  • whzrdwhzrd Member Posts: 39
    is that when the newe amantis' arrive.

Is there any way to confirm when.
    No, I was just referring to the annual model "changeover" - even if there's no actual change to the Sonata model until the completely revamped 2006 is released in the U.S. (When that happens, we 2000-2004 Sonata owners will really see our cars' value head to the cellar.) since the Amantis debuted as a totally new line in 2004, I don't see any changes for several years unless someone else has information to the contrary. What I do see happening, is use of the Amanti platform for the next generation XG350. I thought I read that KIA would get first dibs on the new platform to help the marque establish a serious name for itself before it was released for use by Hyundai's own big kahuna line. Hyundai dealers weren't happy with Corporate's marketing decision since the current XG350 is getting a little long in the tooth.
  • rootleerootlee Member Posts: 2
    Dealer gave me that price when I contacted the internet manager. Is that a good price? Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
  • newbiebuyernewbiebuyer Member Posts: 1
    Hi there

I went for my first Sonata test drive this past Saturday after initial mid-week contact through an internet sales site.

I'll be going back tonight to drive the Elantra GT (dealer only had the base model on Saturday) but am leaning very seriously towards the Sonata.

Anyone out there have any idea whether or not I might still be eligible for the rebate since I began looking while the offer was in effect?

Also, if anyone has had any experiences with buying in Austin, I'd appreciate any feedback.

And, if anyone has recent experience with purchasing an LX with package 7, I'd love to find out what you paid.

Thanks!
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    An available rebate is applied when you sign the contract to purchase the car. When you start looking doesn't making eligible because there's not guarantee to the car company that you are going to purchase a car from them. I would expect Hyundai to offer rebates in September that are similar to August. They usually take a few days into the new month to post the new ones. They have rebates "end" each month to create a better-get-the-deal-while-it's-available environment to induce you to sign a contract to purchase a car.
  • pallavipallavi Member Posts: 4
    Hi all
    We are trying to buy hyundai sonata LX with option 6 or 7 with all the options and Doten Hyundai in Richmond is offering the car for 17700 after rebate before tax. Does this sound fine or should we negotiate further? This price is given by the internet dept and it seems they are not ready to negotiate.
    Please let me know
    thanks
    The dealer will be more inclined to seriously negotiate as new model introductions draw closer. Never forget that 1> you're the person with the checkbook (which puts YOU in control if you're smart enough and patient enough to exercise it) and 2> dealers need to sell end of year 2004s more than you need to rush to buy one. (Sounds like the turkey's playing head games with you.) You're in further control if you can pay cash or arrange your own financing. Are there other Hyundai dealers within reasonable distance? (Don't be afraid to play 'em off against each other - competition's a grand thing...) Remember, too, that you won't get any dealer's best offer off the internet. You'll need to do a sit-down for that. Also, the selling dealer is not your only source for warranty service and the service departments are under seperate management from the sales departments - shop for your best price and take the car to the closest dealer for warranty work.
    Thanks a lot for your reply Ray. After considering the depreciation in one year model, we are getting inclined towards buying a 2005 model. Any inputs on prices for that?

thanks in advance
    Based on postings on the Edmunds Hyundai boards, the alleged "2005" Sonata will arrive around March, 2005. (I'm personally uncertain whether it'll really be officially a "2005" or a "2006 early introduction"...) Pricing? Anyone's guess - the ol' rumor mill runs rampant on the 'net. The new Sonata will be a brand new design, built in a brand new U.S. factory in Montgomery, Alabama, with brand new engine designs. Sure you wanna be a 1st year guinea pig? I took considerable heat from the "rah-rah, pom-pon" Hyundai cheer-leading section (and maybe at least one or more Hyundai Corporate "suits" trolling this board) for suggesting a wait and see attitude. And, that's fine - opinions, mine or anyone else's, are worth exactly what you pay for them. Nevertheless, I still stand behind that advice. Both the "Hyundai Sonata Owners: Problems and Solutions", and the "Hyundai is the greatest car line available to the public" boards could literally "explode" during the remainder of the 2005 model year after these cars hit the dealer showrooms. By July we should have a clearer picture whether the company was realistic in its goals or overly optomistic.
    Hi there
    Could you please give me the phone number for Taryn? Also, if you dont mind, please let me know which car did you buy and how much did you pay? How do you like your car?

thanks in advance
    -Pallavi
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We don't allow salespeople's names and/or contact info to be posted on this board.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dsmith3dsmith3 Member Posts: 1
    Drove a Sonata rental in Boston last weekend, decided to buy one this week. Very impressed with the looks, quality and performance. Mileage similar to my 2001 Prizm but larger car with more room.

With rebates($2000 and $1000 loyalty), negotiation and paying cash got a base model, 4 cylinder automatic for $12,700. The dealer even threw in a trunk cargo net, first oil change and discounts on parts, service and a car care kit.

Salesman was a young beginner, but was not pushy, although a little "green" on giving information.

So far, pleased with the deal.
  • sonatakidsonatakid Member Posts: 3
    I BOUGHT A WHITE 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA GLS (NO OPTIONS) IN FREEHOLD, NEW JERSEY.

I LOVE THE CAR. I WAS JUST CURIOUS. I PAID A TOTAL PURCHASE PRICE OF $16,211. WHAT DID YOU PAY?

ALSO, IF YOU GOT THE LX (LEATHER, POWER SEAT, TEMP CONTRL) AND NO OPTIONS, WHAT DID YOU PAY?

LASTLY, IF YOU GOT THE LX WITH ABS, TRAC CTRL, AND MOONROOF, WHAT DID YOU PAY. PLEASE RESPOND. THANKS.
    PLEASE QUIT YELLING! THANKS!!!
    My sincerest apologies for yelling in Internetspeak.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best prices to pay for a year 2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS no options, an LX no options, and an LX with moonroof and ABS with traction control?

Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    I had looked at the Sonata at Freehold Hyundai a couple of years ago. I was not impressed with with the salesmen/managers and buying experience so I got up in the middle of negotiations and walked out. Went dow the road to Mazda and was pleasantly surprised and gave them my money. What was your buying experience like???
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    And had a similarly high pressure, uninformed salesman practically shoving an Elantra down my throat. All I wanted was to test drive the car, and know if I could get one with ABS. He said they didnt have any with ABS, but explained to me that the brakes are fine without ABS, and told me that ABS didnt really work anyway, because your wheels will still lock. Right. I would personally not recommend Freehold Hyundai/Jeep to anyone I know.

~alpha
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    alpha1... If you are looking for some specific options and your local dealer(s) don't have one equipped that way, see if they'll do a dealer locate to find one and then an inter-dealer trade to get it to you. Back in 2000, when I went looking for a loaded Sonata GLS V6 5-speed manual with Pkg 13 (which got you ABS and traction control), I had to do a locate. Dealer found one car, which was about 600 miles away. We arranged the inter-dealer trade.

Don't buy any car today, esp. a Hyundai, without ABS! The publised test results of Hyundai without ABS haven't been too good. Things like lengthy stoppig distances, lock up, etc. I remember how hard it was in 1999-2000 to find Hyundais with ABS. They were shipping few over and putting them on the most expensive option package.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    '03 Sentra 2.5LE, which has hella more balls than the Elantra, side airbags that offer head protection just like the Elantra, and 4 wheel discs w/ABS.... for a very reasonable price. But Im defintiely going to check out the next round of Sonatas when they hit the showrooms, I'll probably be bored with my Sentra by then. :)

And likely, Side Curtains and ABS will be standard on the new one. Looking forward to the potent V6 as well!

~alpha
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Can this be right, the Hyundai site is showing no difference in price even though the Value Package adds heated front seats? Also, anyone buy in northern NJ? If so, any info OTD price paid? Any dealer recommendations? My thanks.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    There is no price difference in MSRP however, there is a difference in the rebates. Your OTD price will be different. As a reccomendation I would say to buy the one you want or are more comfortable paying for. Personally, I like the wheels better on the special value package so that might sway me, but then again I have problems with vehicular vanity.
  • kirbkirb Member Posts: 10
    Purchased my '04 Sonata GLS back in July and now have 8000 totally trouble free miles on it. I could not be happier with my choice. As critical and picky I am about cars, it's to Hyundai's credit that I picked this car above all others for my needs. Being a "car guy", I have visions of Porsches, Lambo's, and Ferrari's dancing in my head, but more practical visions dance in my checkbook. So, for the $16,700 I paid, I'm convinced there's NO competition for this car at this price point. NONE. NADA. Everyone seems to compare it to Camrys and Accords, but those cars are WAY more money, like 8k more! The Sonata competes more with the likes of Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc. i.e. a 4-cyl Mazda 6 stickers for 20 grand here...no comparison in fit, finish, content, materials, warranty, etc. from any of these. Got the Celedon green with beige interior, sunroof, no ABS or traction control. I can't understand the criticism in the car mags for the Sonata V-6 being down on power! Compared to what?, something with over 200hp?, of course! Where are you going to use more? I think it's a great engine/tranny combination as-is. I wish I could've waited for the SV package with the heated seats for the same price, though.
    I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOU LOVE THE CAR! I LOVE MINE. I HAVE A WHITE ONE, BUT NO SUNROOF. WAS THAT YOUR TOTALLY OUT THE DOOR PRICE? OR DID IT INCLUDE SALES TAX AND "DEALER FEES". ALSO, MY DEALER HAS AN ADDITIONAL DEALER STICKER WITH "APPEARANCE PACKAGE" OF $1,695 ON EVERY CAR WITH PINSTRIPES AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE. HE TOLD ME IN A FATHERLY WAY THAT IT ONLY COST HIM $700. DID YOUR DEALER HAVE THIS STICKER. PLEASE REPLY. THANKS.
    OUCH, my eyes!!

You'll get a better response if you post without your CAPS LOCK on - it sure makes your message hard to read.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Appearance Package" is a synonym for, "Screw the customer for whatever he's too stupid to see through." My dealer had a supplementary sticker that added ~$1,500.00 as a "Local Marketing Adjustment" - same Bovine Stuff by another name. I simply advised my salesman that crap comes off the table before we even go inside to begin the real negotiations. An hour and a half later I drove my new car off the lot for a total out-the-door price (inclusive of taxes and license) of $2,500.00 less than the original Hyundai sticker price before taxes and license. Those tape pinstripes your dealer told you (in a fatherly way no less - sounds like the shyster ought to be nominated for an Oscar...) cost him $700.00? Sheesh, get real. You can buy the dual-stripe self-adhesive rolls at Pep Boys - enough to do both sides of the car - for under $10.00. Took me about thirty minutes to prep the areas and apply 'em. Nothing else other than a single edge razor blade was required. (This isn't rocket science.) That was just two days shy of two years ago to the day. Car and pinstriping both doing fine.
    My $16700 price was after rebate but before state sales tax. My dealer uses NO supplemental sticker or fees or charges to inflate their profit margin. So, I paid roughly $4000 less than the factory sticker on this car.
    Looked at and sat in a new Buick Lacrosse recently (not to buy), it had way less leg room in the back than the Sonata,what a shock! and for 28K!!!This is the replacement for the Regal. Also looked at a new Malibu Maxx...nice back seat, but 26 THOU!!!! NO WAY. Also looked at a new Pontiac G-6...22 thousand for plastic wheel covers, no sunroof, and a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP interior,,you'd better love black plastic. If this car has alloys, sunroof,(still without leather), the price goes to 26K on the sticker. Oh Please! GM can't be serious?
    BY the way, I've been getting about 22-24mpg to and from work, and 28mpg on the highway at a 65 to 80mph cruise....effortlessly. You gotta love this car. This 2.7 engine really wakes -up around 3500. Most of the time around town, the engine is at 2000 to 2500rpm's for me, not anywhere near its sweet zone.
    "This 2.7 engine really wakes -up around 3500."

Yeah, I've noticed that, too - a definite nudge in the lower back. I've had passengers comment that they didn't know Hyundai used variable valve timing in the 2.7. One of my friends said I was nuts when I told 'im the 2.7 doesn't have variable valve timing. Life can be sweet.
    Ray, looks like we got the same deal. With sales tax, my out-the door price was about $2600 under the factory sticker also. The car came with a pin-stripe (no charge) and all 4 splash guards (no charge) also. We certainly got a great bang-for-the-buck, eh? I haven't seen anything yet that gives the Sonata serious competition at this price bracket. Naturally, the only fly in this "soup" is the car's rapid depreciation, which is well known, a real cost to be sure, but less of a factor the longer you keep the car. At this point, I see no reason to not keep it for the long term. Why get rid of something that we like so much and serves our needs so well? We now have 4 Sonatas in our extended family and one Elantra GT... no problems with any.
  • hayafirsthayafirst Member Posts: 6
    I watched a TV commercial saying Hyundai is offering $4000 rebate or 0% APR. Does anyone take advantage? Any experience to share? Thanks.
    Even when the rebate was $2000, you were better off taking the cash than the 0%. 4K would be wonderful! I haven't seen it advertised, but then I've already bought. The SV package on the Sonata with the heated seats for the same price as before, is icing on the cake!
    It is "up to" 4000. That is on the xg350 with 2500 factory rebates and 1500 owner loyalty rebates.
  • guiniveveguiniveve Member Posts: 2
    I'm never bought a newer car before and this was my first experience. I bought a 2001 GLS Sonata V-6 , fully loaded( moonroof, leather interior,wood paneling, heated seats and mirrors, upgraded wheels, cd player, auto seats locks etc.) with 44,000 for $8500.00. The internet price on the dealership website was 11,083, when we got to the lot they wanted 10,999.00 and I talked them down to the 8500$ including full tank of gas, first service free, and factory touch up paint. (Though there are no scratches on the car.) The car is in excellent condition and has the maintance log including service receipts still in the dashboard. Is this a good deal? I don't know much about cars, but have owned a 97 Accent for several years and love it. So, we decided to stick with Hyundai when we bought another car.
  • dhyde3dhyde3 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2004 Sonota. I am looking for a chrome or metal upper grille for my beautiful white Sonota. I have been unable to locate one through the dealer or the aftermarket suppliers. Some aftermarket suppliers have a lower grille, but no luck on the upper. I would even be interested in something that I could apply to my present black grille to make it appear chome. Does anyone know a a reliable contact for this?
    I notice you've found our Sonata accessories discussion - that's the best place to get a response, rather than in the purchasing topic. You can also check the regular Sonata discussion, which you can locate using the search tools at the left.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jetgraphicsjetgraphics Member Posts: 1
    After missing the super rebates that ended on Jan 3, 2005, we continued in our quest for that elusive "great deal". The closest dealer didn't have a base Sonata GL 5M, so he wouldn't dicker. The second dealer agreed to our price via email, but then reneged when we arrived for the appointment. After several faxes to the dealership owner, we agreed to buy a 2005 Sonata GL 5M for $13200 (drive out price) + trade in (1992 Excel). Plus, they're going to deliver it to us.

That's g-g-g-reat!
  • sonatadriver3sonatadriver3 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a sonata GLS v6 automatic with ABS and power roof in ardor blue. Paid a total of $16450 -out of door price that includes everything. The price is three thousand below invoice. Couldn't be more satisfied with the deal.
  • helpermatthelpermatt Member Posts: 9
    Yes that was a good deal. The dealership probably owned it for anywhere between $7000 and $8000. So you did very well. Enjoy it.
    Yes that IS!!!!
  • peeampeeam Member Posts: 2
    You got a great deal.

I heard that 2006 new Sonata comes out in March. Is that worth waiting for or take the great deals being offered now. I have been quoted $1588(plus tax, title etc) for a LX with heated seats.
    The 2006 model will be comming out earlier than usual this year. However no firm date has been given you are looking at some time in Late Spring. You can see a picture of it at www.hyundaisonata.com Although I am sure it will be awhile before you can get a good deal on one. This first few months expect to pay sticker with little to no rebates.
  • kevroyalkevroyal Member Posts: 2
    I saw your quote of $1588 for a LX, and was thinking the same thing (of waiting on the 2006 until about May). Were there any options included on the 2005LX, I'm thing of getting an LX with the package 5(sunroof ,ABS) if the prices on the 2006 are to high, Edmunds quotes 2005 at about $20,500..then $2000 in rebates for about $18,500.
    I see a lot of people saying they are getting deals for several thousand under invoice..any idea if this is true..if so I think I could afford the 2006 even if they bump the pricing for the new design. any idea what the 2006LX might go for
    P.S. any and all replies appreciated
  • kevroyalkevroyal Member Posts: 2
    I'm thing of getting an LX with the package 5(sunroof ,ABS) if the prices on the 2006 are to high, Edmunds quotes 2005 at about $20,500..then $2000 in rebates for about $18,500.
    I see a lot of people saying they are getting deals for several thousand under invoice..any idea if this is true..if so I think I could afford the 2006 even if they bump the pricing for the new design. any idea what the 2006LX might go for
    P.S. any and all replies appreciated
    Don't believe everything that you read. We couldn't stay in business if we sold cars several thousand below invoice. I think most quotes you are seeing include incentives, trades, or gross exaggeration.

Pricing on the 2006 is still up in the air. One thing that you can count on is that there will not be rebates any time soon.
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    Any one bought Sonata 2005 recently in Seattle WA or Portland, OR ? My friend is looking for the base model 2.4L Automatic 2005 Sonata. Appreciate if you could share your experience.
  • cyclone5cyclone5 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of getting an used 2004 sonata GLS with 5,000 miles. It has leather seat, power seat, and maybe ABS. A salesman offered $13,850. Is it reasonable price? Actually, my target price is between $12,000 and 12,500. Thanks in advance.
    P.S. any and all replies and advices appreciated
  • kelli333kelli333 Member Posts: 2
    That isn't a bad deal. It is quite good. The dealer near me wanted $14,8, and DID NOT want to budge on it, not a penny. I was so mad.

I am in the same situation. I want to spend, between my trade in, and any money off on the car I can get, $12,000 in total. At least close.

I would suggest talking with the dealer. If he is unwilling to budge, walk away, even if you like the deal. Chances are, he or she will call you. I think the dealer should be willing to give a little if he or she really wants to sell.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!