Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Talk about bait and switch!

I live in Virginia Beach, but I bought my 2009 at West Broad; you could try them and see. You could also go in to Piersons with the advertisement, and see what the deal is.
  • james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    zfrayj:

That price seems a little high to me. Who knows, you may have better luck at the dealership in person. When I was looking to buy the 09 Sonata, the salesman asked: "What do I have to do to get you in this car right now?" I told him "I want $14,500 OTD, and don't counter-offer me - if you want me to sign today, that's what I want. Otherwise, I come back in a few weeks."

You may have some luck if you go that route. Most salesmen know that once you leave, odds are that you won't come back any time soon.

Like billward suggested, you may want to check out West Broad Hyundai as well. I bought a '07 Santa Fe from them a few years ago. They were very nice. Their dealership is only maybe 1/3 of the size of Pearson's.

Another thing that you definitely have working in your favor is that there are two Hyundai dealerships relatively close to each other. Pearson hates losing business to West Broad and vice versa.

So, my suggestion is this: when you go to either dealship, make sure you drop the line "Well, I'm going to drive over to Pearson/West Broad to see what they can offer me". Works every time!

Let us know how it works out.
  • zfrayjzfrayj Member Posts: 5
    James,

Thanks again.

Will go to both dealerships this week. Let's see my luck with Sonata 09... :)
  • cardozocardozo Member Posts: 4
    A local dealer (Advantage Hyundai in Long Island, New York) is advertising that they are having an "end of summer employee pricing sale" this weekend during which "the sales managers at Advantage Hyundai have been authorized to sell any new vehicle at prices normally reserved for their employees!" Is there any way to figure out what employees normally pay for a Sonata GLS? Is it really significantly better than invoice or is this just a marketing scam / bait and switch?

Here's the email I received:

To show our appreciation to our loyal customers, we are bringing back Employee Pricing! We know that low pricing sells cars. . . and Employee Pricing sells even more cars. So, if prices are going to be cut, we want to do it for loyal customers.

We are pleased to offer you, as a loyal customer, an unprecedented opportunity to save during this Employee Pricing Sale. The sales managers at Advantage Hyundai have been authorized to sell any new vehicle at prices normally reserved for their employees! This means that you can buy any new Hyundai product and receive this discount. Prices are below market value and will not be advertised to the general public. You can save thousands!

Furthermore, here is the greatest news of all! On top of Advantage Hyundai's low pricing and financing incentives as low as 1.9% APR on select 2010 models, you may be eligible for discounts and factory rebates up to $7,000 off. Rest assured, we want to make sure you receive every available incentive offered for which you are eligible. The bottom line is, between this Employee Pricing Sale and Advantage Hyundai's Customer Loyalty Offer there has never been a better time to buy a new vehicle during our "End of Summer Event"!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    It's just an advertising flyer... It means the same thing as when they hang a big sign outside that says:

SALE

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    I love this line: "you may be eligible for discounts and factory rebates up to $7,000 off." Right, if you buy a V-8 Genesis. Everybody else probably gets $1-2000 discounts off MSRP.
    Person asked ~$17000 OTD for a 09' white GLS AT. I did not buy it. Don't like white color much.

Will wait a little bit...

James's strategy didn't work well in this kind of market situation... :)
    zfrayj:

Man, I'm sorry you didn't have better luck. That is a terrible price - I'm glad you didn't pull the trigger. Well, I guess the best thing to do is just wait. I'm sure the tables will turn in your favor again.

Have you thought about checking out West Broad Hyundai?
    zfrayj:

Hey, man, I'm not sure you looked at the Richmond Times newspaper today, but here is what Pearson Hyundai is advertising for their '09 Sonatas...

49 Sonantas in stock.
    $12,999

Now, here is the fine print at the bottom of the page...

"Sonata includes $3,000 HMA Rebate, $1,000 Military, $400 College Grad, $500, & EXCLUDES $695 Freight"

I'm not sure what the $500 discount is for - but I assume it applies to everyone.

I just went to West Broad Hyundai's website, and they are showing only 2010 Sonatas - I guess they are all out of '09s!

www.westbroadhyundai.com
    Hi James:

Thanks for the information. $12999 must be a price for manual transmission. Though Pearson still has lot of 09 Sonatas in stock, only one or two are base GLS AT.

West Broad has a very good Internet sales team. Since they told me they don't have 09 Sonata, I did not go to there last weekend.

From Hyundai's website, there is no more $1000 trade-in rebate in Oct, so I am not in hurry to buy a 09 or 10's Sonata. I will wait a little bit. Hopefully by the end of year, 10' Sonata could have a better rebate.
  • cbrf4ridercbrf4rider Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased 2009 sonata v6 limited with nav which had 20 miles on it for 22300+title+tax. They only had 3 left and wifey wanted a white one. How does that compare to deals others are getting?
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    Bought new 2009 se v6, had several dealer add on options, no bluetooth (didn't want
    it. Price with options came up $25,300, plus change. At that time I was able to
    take advantage of the Cash For Clunkers deal. Had already found 2 cars at 2 different dealership and started the negotiations. Both sales people seemed very
    anxious to make a sale, end of month thing. There was a $3000. factory rebate and
    a dealer incentive at both places (didn't mention cash for clunkers yet). Both came
    up with a price they said was the best they could do, pretty good price considering
    total sticker. Threw in about gov rebate. They both new about the others bottom
    line they both said they would beat the others price " now were working" I told them
    I wanted a cash price including tax, title, license. Got it for $16,500 OTD, total. plus
    fresh detail job and full tank of gas. For a little more got extended warranty.
  • lppenglppeng Member Posts: 5
    Hi 8babies1dog,

Which state are you in? Can you kindly write a cost breakdown of the OTD price?

I am still in the market of buying a 09 Sonata. Seems my local dealers do not have any leftovers and the price is incredibly high... :(

Thanks
    This is Louisiana near new orleans,about 5 dealers in a 75 mile radius. All were
    advertising best prices will beat any competitor, come and make your best deal.
    This was late August during the cash for clunkers offer by the government. We had been thinking about getting rid of my old truck, it qualified for the program. Had
    done the homework on what we wanted. At the same time Hyundai had a $3000.
    factory rebate and dealership incentive (not sure of the amount). There were still
    a few cars to chose from and the car we bought had a special price written on the
    window. Had 2 dealers working on price back and forth. I told them after all rebates
    and discounts the dealer closest to $16,500 t,t,&l otd would sell the car. 1 said
    $16,650 the other came in with $16,500. Done deal, thank you, took the car home.
    8babies1dog:

That is a great price, man! Well done!

cbrf4rider:

It depends on what state you live in. Generally speaking, I would say that's not a bad price for that car right now. You probably could have gotten it for a little less if you bought earlier, or later. But, as long as you're happy with the car and price, then all is well.

Congrats on the new cars, guys!
  • cbrf4ridercbrf4rider Member Posts: 3
    I am happy with the price I paid. Esp since they gave me good trade in value for my Rav4 which Sonata replaces. I've always owned japanese cars in the past, and I liked the Sonata's interior so much that I decided to give Hyundai a try. I like the car so far but for a couple of things.

1. One of the trim piece which goes around the inside door handle sticked out a bit. When I opened it up to see if I can put the piece back in, it was missing a screw. It looked like there was never a screw in place.

2. The gap between the hood and front side panels are not even. Not too bad but not as even as my Rav4 or other cars I've had.

3. Nav has frozen up a couple of times already. Going to call the dealer to see if I can have it replaced.
  • snaxsnax Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased my black 09 limited V6 with nav.

21,542 sale price
    23,133 out the door

Love this car so far. Very comfortable and smooth for the price.

B
  • cardsfan1cardsfan1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a quote for an '09 Limited V6 for $21,713 (MSRP $27,665). Options are bluetooth and floor mats. Is this a good deal? Are there any other incentives that I should be aware of (financing deals)? Thanks for any help!
  • schumiaschumia Member Posts: 6
    Dear all,

Not able to find a single 2009 Sonata GLS in the greater Boston area, we've decided to settle upon the slightly used market where warranty still applies, this afternoon we just came back from the dealer for a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. It already has 24150 mi, was previously a leased vehicle and just came off the lease in July '09. They're asking $12468.

With this, we're getting

a) the std equipment for a Sonata
    b) remaining warranty for the 5 yr/60,000 mi bumper-to-bumper warranty
    7 yr/unlmited rust protection
    5 yr/unlimited roadside assistance
    c) Very well-maintained, and clean interior and exterior that's otherwise in very good condition.
    d) Since it was a leased vehicle, all the maintenance records were there and proof for regular upkeep. Dealer also did a thorough 100 points (or however many..) safety inspections and brake maintenance on the car...

What surprised me was how firm they were in the price $12,468, I tried "several times" getting them to reduce the doc fee, which they ask $399 for, they didn't budge. So in the end, they agreed to throw in a FREE trunk cargo net in, for a total of $12,468 + doc fee + misc title/registration... We walked out saying we'll think about it.

My questions are:

a) Is this a reasonable deal in your opinion? It's clean and we like it, we just are a bit alarmed why they're so adamant about the price. KBB says on avg 2007 with 30,000 miles ~ $11,700.
    b) We're gonna have a the remaining warranty coverage except 10 yr/100,000 miles Power train protection, is there any reason for us to purchase "extended warranty" for this Sonata for Powertrain?

Thanks for your time!

Jeff

d)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If this is a Hyundai dealer, you could ask if the vehicle qualifies for the Hyundai Certified warranty, which would either add five more years of powertrain warranty or extend the bumper to bumper for five more years. I think that is transferrable also.
  • mikebztmikebzt Member Posts: 44
    You sit tight. I can't see it worth it. The car is 3 years old.
    Tops the Dealer paid for the car is 10K
    If the dealer has your information they will call you but honestly I can see it worth 12.5K

Courtesy Hyundai has a used 09 for 15.5K
    Route 44 also has an 09 for 15.5K

If you are looking I have even seen 08's for 12.8K
    both at Bill Dube and Herb Connolly
    Hi, not sure what trim package you are looking at on the used car, this makes a
    huge difference in actual price. Like basic GLS or GLS w/ v6 or Gls w/ upgrade.
    Then there is the step up to SE and the Limited. All these also offer different options
    and carry a certain price tag as per package. You should at least compare the car
    in question to Kelly Blue Book estimate value. Also you could check other dealers
    like in another close big city to see if they would have a new 2009 with the same
    trim. You could find a deal you can't pass up. I would say if you still have to add
    tax, title and license to the used 2007 it would bring you in the range of my new 2009
    SE v6, at least well worth consideration. Then you should be able to beat my deal by
    a substantial amount if you elect like the basic GLS (also very nice w/ many standard
    features). Plus all the new car warranty and the value in hand of new car. Go in
    with confidence and a certain price in mind be nice but firm. Don't let them sell you
    a car, buy the car you want at your price, either they will or they won't sell it for that
    price. You have nothing to loose but a little time. May save some money over used.
  • schumiaschumia Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. This is a case update of our further research into used this 2007 Hyundai.

I phoned the dealer and it turned out that the car was not Hyundai factory certified - she said being Hyundai certified the dealer has to pay additional ~$1000, which means buyers will carry the costs, so the dealer simply did the 150 safety inspection themselves, so in the end, it's "dealer" certified, not by "Hyundai." The result is then that the car is not subject to additional warranty under Hyundai Certified Pre-owned Vehicle (CPOV) beyond the remaining years of the existing warranty.

And... you were right that the dealer did call me back before I did to them =). They called back saying that they're "willing" to "split" the $399 doc fee with me, whereas yesterday they're completely adamant about me paying it in full. I obviously teased them and said i'll consider their "sudden" change of mind - but this goes to say how flexible they really are in adjusting prices... as long as you're patient, time and power is always on the buyer's side!!

I left out the style of this car, it's a GLS base model 2007 Sonata, so the most basic, with no optional package, so no steering wheel volume control, power seat...etc. But we're fine with that =)

By the way, Edmunds price for 2007 Sonata GLS with 24000 mi is $11227 (buy from dealer) and $10,428 private.

Thanks for all your response!!

Looks like $12500 is a reasonable price to settle with, I'll keep working them to see if I can at least get it down to $12k flat!! Will update you on how i make out!!

Jeff
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    A local dealer in So Cal (Reynolds GMC/Buick) located in West Covina has several with right around 40K miles for $9,950..00 I noticed on their website.

This dealer has been in business for years and is known for buying "off rental" and then selling them with a minimal "mark up".
    Why do you think it's reasonable to pay the dealer over $1000 more than Edmund's TMV price?

If you are serious about this car, you could try a counteroffer of $12k, which includes the doc fee and the Hyundai Certified Warranty. Print out the Edmund's report and show it to them. It's not like there's no used Sonatas out there.

FWIW, last spring I was offered a 2008 Sonata GLS with the moonroof package and Hyundai Certified Warranty, 30k miles, for $10,900 + tax and license. I passed on it because the car was not in great condition. I realize used car prices are generally higher now than last spring, but $12,500 seems very high for three-year-old base GLS, considering it probably sold for around $15k or less when new.
  • ray78ray78 Member Posts: 27
    Macarthy Hyundai in Olathe, KS advertised a 2009 Sonata limited V6 for under 18,000 delivered in Sunday isssue of KC Star.
    Wow! It might be worth the trip to KC for that deal. There are few '09 Limited V6 that I can find in the Chicago area. The deal I identified here is the best I can find. The key here also is that this dealer is giving me the top end $$ for my trade. This is important in Illinois, as if I sell the car on my own I will have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the new car (that equates to $1,400). So, a private party sale would have to be $1,400 better than trade in to make the deal work.

From what I can tell, Hyundai does not have any financing deals on the '09s and the cheap gas promotion is over.
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    Its high. I bought a similar mileage/Sonata for 10,500 in Attleboro.
    I went ahead with the purchase of this car. So far I am really impressed. This car is quiet, comfortable and reasonably powerful. The interior is put together nicely and has a quality feel to it. I would put it right up there with Honda and Toyota and ahead of Nissan.

The dealer experience was great. Knauz Hyundai in Lake Bluff, IL. I recommend this dealer to anyone in the Chicago area looking for a Hyundai.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Congratulations! I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Could you tell us how much it finally came down to on price? Were there any special APR promos?
  • bob286bob286 Member Posts: 1
    I think you did real well, I purchased a 2009 limited sonata with Navigation,and we did not trade as my wife totalled our Pacifica,so in the end after a week of shopping and exhaustion,it came down yto..lets get it over,instead of buying used I went for new..list $26,562.00 4 cly limited,I am not a negotiator and wanted it over,paid $22,562.00..inotherwords I didnt get anything from the dealer,$3,000 rebate and another $1,000 off...I am however very happy with the car and warranty and feel I paid $2,000 to much,but dont care..I wanted it over with!!!!
    MSRP $27,665, paid $21,713. There were no special financing promotions on the '09 models (I got a pretty decent rate from one of their sources). Also, the $1.49 gas promotion had already expired.

They gave me top dollar for my trade, so I'm happy with the deal. The dealer experience was great and I'm liking the car so far.
  • cutesongcutesong Member Posts: 2
    MSRP $27,915, only 12 miles, dealer installed options include blue tooth,wind deflector,mud guards,cargo net,carpet floor mat,ipod cable, paid $21,533+TTL. 3.75% finance for 48 month. They give me 5 oil changes free for 1st year.

Freeman Hyundai in Irving, Texas
    Congrats on your purchase. Looks like you got a great deal. The more I drive this car, the more I like it. Smooth, quiet and powerful. I hope you like it as much as I do.
  • cardozocardozo Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard any inside information on when Hyundai will finally increase the rebates on the 2010 Sonata's? We have wanted to buy a new Sonata since the end of the summer but could not find any 2009 GLS's with the color/options we want. I cannot justify buying a 2010 with a mere $1000 rebate when they could increase it to $3000 any day. Will this be a long wait or will November finally bring some good news?
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    I was wondering that myself. Edmunds shows only the 1K rebate, but Fitzmall pricing (which includes freight) is almost 3000 below invoice, so there has either been some change, or there is other factory-to-dealer money Edmunds isn't accounting for.
  • markm75markm75 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any inside info if the $3000 rebate will stay the same or increase after its nov 2nd expiration...

My local hyundai dealer in PA is offering a 2009 (new one) which has a msrp of 26,515 for 21,318 (includes the $3000 rebate)..

I've heard that they basically make $3000 using the rebates (the dealer).. so i'm wondering if i should try to get them down a little more (this is the v6 SE version, but it doesnt have bluetooth, does have cloth interior etc).

The best interest rate, given my mostly good, but high ratio credit history is about 7.63 (a bit too high, forcing a 72 month payment of around $400 with no money down, IE: i can get an AWD equinox 2010 for $78 more per month, this seems too high).

The dealer also said they could install a bluetooth radio (surely at an added cost, not sure if its the same as what the factory would install?)

Any thoughts or tips?
    That does not sound like a rock bottom deal. I just bought a 2009 Limited v6 for $400 more than what they are offering the SE to you (the MSRP on mine was $27,665). I would try to get them to come down some more.

The Huyndai bluetooth (blueconnect) is not a fully integrated system. It is mounted in the ceiling where the sunglass holder would be. This is a port installed option, so the dealer can put it in and it fits perfectly. The only problem is that is is independent of the stereo system, so when you get a call you have to mute your radio. It has it's own speaker, so the sound does not come through the car stereo. It works pretty well and serves my purposes, but just keep in mind that it is not fully integrated. It was a $295 option on my Sonata, so make sure that they don't charge you more than that.

Good luck!
    Nice, thanks for that tip on the msrp and bluetooth.. i was hoping the bt was like the one that is integrated in the equinox.. oh well.. i use a moto headset, works fine though.

Sounds like they may be about $1200 too high, which is what i figured.

I'm not good at getting them to come down in prices.. i can mention that i know of some that have gotten the limitted series at the price they are offering.. maybe that will help.. or mention they are making $3k either way via rebates..

The limitted has the dual zone auto air conditioning doesnt it? IE: set it to 72 and it just runs (like my grand prix)?

Perhaps i could get a deal on a limited that had this feature at your msrp example/sale price.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Not sure what part of PA you are in, but I also live in PA (Johnstown area) and we purchased two Hyundais last year. We ended up buying from a dealer by my sister in DC/VA because at the time, none of the dealers within a two hour drive of Johnstown would go lower than invoice minus rebates, and even that was tough to get! This PA market area doesn't seem to be as competitive as other markets so dealers around here are not as discount happy as others may be. :sick:
    ...or mention they are making $3k either way via rebates..

How do you figure the dealer is making $3k after the rebates? Markup on Sonatas including the holdback isn't anywhere near $3k. And wasn't their quote less than MSRP even before rebates were applied?
    by that I meant the dealer gets $3000 either way. Not that they necessarily make that in profit

so anyone care to conjecture what will happen w the rebates after nov 2nd. Stay same. Go away increase etc
    Yes, the Limited has dual zone auto climate control. It also has leather, auto dimming mirror, Infinity sound system and sunroof. Please keep in mind that my deal was on a 2009 model. If you can find one in your area, you should try to get the same deal. No difference between the '09 and '10 models.
  • gbh0726gbh0726 Member Posts: 1
    I was traded in a 2007 Hyundai Sonata with 58,000 miles. The 2007 needed brakes but had the sunroof, hubcap rims, had the I4 engine, and xm radio. Owed $9,100 and this is all I wanted on trade in value.

Purchased a 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited I4. Did not want navigation or bluetooth. Car was power white pearl had floor mats included. I did not qualify for military or college rebates. Dealer went to $23,100.00. This also included the $500.00 Hyundai loyalty rebate. I also finance with Hyundai Motor Finance for 1.9% over 72 months. I gave up the $1,000 rebate from Hyundai by doing this. I paid title tax and tags out of pocket.
  • justchilljustchill Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited I4 with navigation for 21K + Tax+ DMV+Doc fee (55) (Bay area). I am not sure if the price is good and the vehicle quality. However, the edmunds forum information has been a good part of my decision towards this purchase. Thanks for all the postings.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Congratulations on your new Sonata. I got the same car in April for $21.7, so I think you did pretty well. As for the quality, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. We've had four Hyundais in the last nine years and each has been great.
    One Web reviewer said this of the Sonata: "It feels like a quality car, and not in a cheap way". By which I assumed he meant it felt like Hyundai had not used cheap measures in the car in an effort to imitate quality.
    Hello folks, sorry for replying kind of late to your post I just found it and would like
    to add a little information for the people who are may be looking at new Sonatas.
    We all know by now the 2010 has very little or no change from the 2009. I bought
    a new 2009 SE V6 in July this year with all the standard SE equipment plus a few
    add on's like mud guards, body striping, all floor mats including trunk, and a extra
    window tinting on top of the standard solar glass.No bluetooth or navigation in it
    (don't want it, don't need it).
    The MSRP on the sticker was $25,096. I don't know what extra options I could have
    got on it even if I wanted them. Compared to the V6 Limited @ $27,665. thats a huge difference $2569. I'm not disputing the $400. difference at your dealership but
    that is a ridicules price for the SE V6 considering Edmunds, KBB, etc has MSRP
    listed at under $25,000. If that is what they told you the difference was, it would be
    hard for me to believe anything else they say.
  • mobo137mobo137 Member Posts: 4
    Wondering if anyone can give me an idea what a Base GLS 5spd 2010 Sonata may go for? I am looking for the entry level 5 speed, a second car for the family. Any help would be appreciated and any links to specials would also help. Fitzmall did not seem to be particulary cheap.

Thanks in advance!

mobo
    mobo137:

I snagged my '09 GLS manual for $14,500 OTD back in April. You probably won't be able to get anywhere near that kind of price for a '10 any time soon. In fact, I wouldn't expect to be able to get a great price on the '10 until some time in the spring or even summer of '10.

Once the newly redesigned '11s start showing up on the dealship lots, I'd expect a HUGE price drop on the '10s, as most people will want the new design.

Do any of your local dealers have 09 GLS Sonatas in stock? You should be able to get a great price on those now.

If I had to guess what a base model '10 Sonata GLS manual would be going for right now, I'd say $17,700 - $18,500 would be considered a great deal.

I hope that helps.
  • dca4dca4 Member Posts: 5
    does anyone have an idea what's a good price on the 2010 i4 Limited? i got a quote for $21,500 +TTL (no navigation). MSRP is 25,700 including destination charge.