Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My deal on Sunday 3/28/10:

$327 including tax
    2001 Hyundai Sonata Limited :P
    Black on black leather
    Loaded except Navigation
    36 months
    12k miles a year
    Sign and drive
    Dealer makes last lease payment of $465 to Nissan

Don't worry; we're not jealous.

• drdrakeramoredrdrakeramore Member Posts: 49
    internet quoted a pacific blue pearl limited with navigation today for $25,610

I'm not convinced the nav is all that important to me, but the closer the numbers get the more attractive it appears
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Don't worry; we're not jealous.

Really, could have bought a new one for that kind of money
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    You guys are hard on the typos... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2010
    Just good-natured ribbing, s'all. :)

I'd never dish what I couldn't, or what I wouldn't expect, to take. :shades:

It's Friday - pardon the perkiness on my part.
    Internet quoted a Limited w/ nav for $22,525...on my way to check it out!
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    must be a 2001
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Good luck with that price! It's about 3k better than the best deals posted.
  • hyundai2011hyundai2011 Member Posts: 15
    too good to be true. Did you check out? Please update us.
    talk about a bait and switch...he actually quoted me a 2009 and called it a "computer glitch." Revised quote for a real life, confirmed VIN car w/ nav: $25,375

anyone know if the residual for limited w/ nav is still the same as limited (58%)?
    Sorry about the bait and switch, but $25,375 is still outstanding assuming that this is actually a Limited with Nav.
    thanks - I have 3 different dealers offering me a similar price for a limited w/ nav (25,395, 25,610 and 25,375), so I figure it's possible to go lower. I have confirmed these are actual cars...
  • crightoncrighton Member Posts: 4
    "thanks - I have 3 different dealers offering me a similar price for a limited w/ nav (25,395, 25,610 and 25,375), so I figure it's possible to go lower. I have confirmed these are actual cars"

Wow - this is very strange. No one has been able to come anywhere near prices like that for a Limited with Nav. What state are you in?
  • abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    Good News and Bad News !
    "Your car (that you ordered 3 months ago) is coming in at the end of May !!"

yes, I was excited to FINALLY be getting my Red Limited with Nav.
    The dealer had refused to take a deposit but kept reassuring me that eventually one would be allocated to him and that the price would be more or less my firm quoted price: $26,230.
    More than what I keep seeing here on this forum, but ...... what the heck, it's southern california and cars are always more expensive here.

But ........ the email that followed stated that the owner was no longer discounting any cars with Nav, since they're so difficult to get, and the price was going to be ..... $28,360.

Wow! talk about low-balling me !!! the price just jumped by $2,130 after I've waited almost 3 months for my specific request to be coming in !! The sales manager was very apologetic but nothing he could do about it. He said that meanwhile I was waiting, some other customers had also requested that same car and they were willing to pay the full price.

He kept reassuring me for the past few months that I was top of the list for this car, even though he had others also interested. "Don't worry, you're first on the list for when we get the car directly from Hyundai." He had offered to try to obtain it from another dealer, but admitted it would cost more that way.

So ..... there's my story of the ol' bait and switch low-balling. I am mostly angry with myself for believing this [non-permissible content removed] all this time. We all know that car dealers are the lowest form of salespeople on earth, right? Nothing has changed; I just got suckered because of my stupidity.

I feel like going out and buying a Ford Fusion (my second choice).

(hey, does anyone know if a Calif. Emissions Certified car can be bought from out-of-state dealers?)

Rick
    edited May 2010
    Actually there is something that they could do.... honor their price! The fact that others are willing to pay more is not really relevant.

Did you have anything in writing? (That would be helpful) Did you make a commitment to them? Remember that commitments/contracts are a 2 way street.

If not, politely ask them to honor their verbal contract with you. (or at least split the difference, which if you had no skin in the game is reasonable at this point)

If they refuse, ask if they prefer that you will file a complaint with the BBB, Hyundai, and the California AG.

If they do honor their price (or a reasonable compromise), tell them that there will be glowing reviews on the surveys, and your postings on the internet.
    If not, spread the word.

Without something written, and with no "Consideration" i.e. a deposit, this is a Hail Mary.
    It's a long shot, but it may be worth a try.
  • truelies1truelies1 Member Posts: 34
    Interesting to see someone want to pay more money for a Hyundai. In such a bad economy, I don't believe a car can be sold higher than MSRP unless it's really Limited.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    There is way to much buying frenzy related to the sonata limited. Better to let things settle down or buy out of state. All cars are cal. ok. There are a ton of gls's at the local dealer. The car doesn't seem to appeal to budget buyers. Everyone wants a Ltd.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I'm actually really interested in a base GLS. What deals are everyone getting? Hoping ther e is some small incentives this summer.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    To buy a car out of state you have to look at the sticker under the hood of the car. It reads something like as follows:

This vehicle meets Federal emissions standards for sale in all states INCLUDING California.

Keep in mind that California's standards are tougher than the Federal standards. Also, most cars shipped to the Western States usually will be certified for sale in California. (Cars from Arizona, Nevada, etc.) But it must say California on the sticker underneath the hood.
    Denver, CO
    I am planning to buy 2011 sonata limited with navigation. There are more than 5 dealers within 30 miles from my place. However, they don't have it in stock. I found that a dealer approx.100 miles from my place has it in stock. Sorry to post a dumb question: Is it ok to buy the car from him? Do I have to go to the same dealer for any warranty service related issue. or Can I go to any other dealers and expect good service from them even though i did not buy the car from them?
    Yes. You can, you also can do warranty in any dealers in US. I wish you can get a good price since no dealers have it. Maybe they will do MSRP+$5000?
    Thanks. I got a quote for $26,300. I hope it is a reasonable price & it is not 'bait and switch'. I am going to visit the dealer this weekend. The sales person told me that he will honor the price for any sonata 2011 limited with navigation in case the car I am interesed in is sold by then..
    edited May 2010
    I was waiting for MY Ltd w/Nav for almost 3 months; when it came in my dealer jacked the price up more than 2 grand, from what he'd quoted me IN WRITING months earlier and was confirming all throughout my wait.
    So if you got a quote of $26,300 for that car, I would not wait, I'd RUN down to the dealer and snap it up.
    We all know the reputation of car dealers, right?
    well, nothing has changed over the years: they're still a bunch of lying weasels who will say anything to make a sale.
    Now they've noticed that Ltds w/Nav are somewhat tight in parts of the country, they're jacking prices WAY up, and not honoring their previous quotes.
    I really hope that you're not being low-balled, but I wouldn't wait until the weekend to find out.
    26,300 is a steal right now. I would be willing to pay $1,000 MORE than that for an Ltd w/Nav.
    edited May 2010
    This post is posted under Buying Experiences because I'm having horrible experiences here in Southern California and am thinking about going out of state to buy.
    Does anyone know anything about emissions compliancy???

Are the cars that come to California manufactured differently than those to other states and countries? that's how it used to be, but I keep hearing California dealers say that they buy & swap for cars that were delivered (or headed for) other states, like Arizona and Oregon.

So where can I find info about this? I want to buy a Hyundai in .... say, the north-east, pick it up there and drive to visit relatives there, then come back to California with it.

any thoughts?
    abigmutt -

Did you actually commit to buy the car?
    To jsmit86:

Well, I "commited to buy the car" to the extent that they let me.

The day they emailed me the price quote, I wrote back and said "Okay, when you get a red Ltd w/Nav I'll take it. May I leave a deposit?"
    Every week there were several emails back and forth between us: me asking about leaving a deposit, asking about estimated delivery time; they kept replying with emails about how they were still searching for my car, etc. I kept reminding them every week, for 3 months, that I was still waiting. They kept saying that THEY were still waiting to receive that model/color, etc.
    At one point I asked how I could ensure that the first such car they got would be mine, and they wrote to say that I was 1st on the list and that another customer also wanted the same car but he was number two;
    Stuff like that.
    Lots & lots of affirmative indicators that I was looking to them to supply me the car .... eventually, when it finally was allocated to them.
    At one point they said that if I wanted to pay a bit more they could see if they can get one from out of state, but that I'd have to pay more because of extra transportation charges. I said No, I'll just wait until you get one allocated to your dealership.
    I was not in any urgent hurry and so actually could afford to wait a few months.
    They kept reassuring me that eventually one would be delivered to them.

So ....... if you think that what I described above is "committing" to the deal, then I guess I did.
    But I'm sure they would just say that since there was no formal contract or deposit (even though I did offer to do both of those things) that they're not obligated to sell this car to me now.
    The sales manager seemed apologetic about the owner now wanting to get two grand more for every Ltd w/Nav that comes in; he is obviously caught in between the customers and the dealership's decision-maker.

Rick
    Ok - legally, it's probably a gray area, but if they in fact told you that you would get the car they should honor their price. If not, that is deceptive, if not illegal.

You, in fact waited for them. You could have purchased elsewhere, and now the prices have gone up.

Try a couple of the suggestions from my earlier post. You also should ask to talk to the owner. If he won't honor the quote, I'd offer to split the difference. If he says no, say, you'd really prefer not to have to contact the AG, HMA, or file a claim in small claims court....if he still says no, frankly, you are better off not dealing with this guy. I understand supply and demand, but they took you out of the market.

By the way,,, reply with the Dealer Name and location... if they do right by you, post here! If they don't do right by you let everyone know.
    I find all the above posts about trying to get the right car very "amusing".

Car dealers are treating you guys the way they always have treated people when a new model is built that has "initial demand". Witness the last Thunderbird that Ford made, it was panned by critics, yet there were reports of people paying $10,000.00 over sticker thinking it was going to be a collector's item like the '57.

Unless your in to self punishment (OR your car suddenly blew up) you should think about waiting. Hyundai's resale value is questionable in the marketplace. Why pay more than you have to?

Give it a year and there will be rebates as always is the case with Hyundai.

If you want to buy right now you deserve to pay whatever the market will bear.
    why not just buy a limited without the navi, and then go buy a nice garmin for $200, and save yourself $3000 or so? just a suggestion.
    I have just bought sonata 2011 limited with navigation black/black with cargo mat, floor mats, cargo net, iPod Cable, wheel locks for $25988.00 + tax and fees.

The asking price was 28395 + 1935 add-ons = 30330.

I have bought 10year platinum additional service for $1981.00. Is it worth it? I can cancel it within 30 days for complete refund. I was told that I can't get this service later. So, got it. Please let me know your valuable suggestions.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is this the Hyundai extended warranty, or something else? Whichever, I think $2000 is too much, considering you can't make any use of it for five years or 60k miles, and then just for non-powertrain warranty repairs. If I were you, I'd invest the $2000 and then if you need extra money for repairs in years 6-10, you'll have that to draw on.

Also, if it's NOT the Hyundai extended warranty, I'd steer clear if I were you. Those warranty companies have a bad habit of going under, leaving you with nothing to show for your money.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    It is called 'Hyundai Protection plan', which has 4 levels silver, gold, gold plus and platinum. The one I signed for is Platinum 10 years / 100,000 miles with $0 deductible, i.e, covers parts and labor. I have just read the complete contract. I can cancel it in CA within 60 days for complete refund. It is administered by Fidelity warranty services. Any comments?
    edited May 2010
    To: hyundai2011:

So what happened? Did you end up buying the $30,330 Ltd w/Nav. for $25,988 ???
    I'm really curious to know. I hope you got there in time to get that deal.

I'm still flayling around in southern california trying to find one of those for less than $28,000.
    BTW, I have contacted the gouging dealer of mine that is getting "my" car (that I supposedly ordered from him almost 3 months ago) but the fleet manager is acting as intermediary between me and the GM and the sales manager. Apparently both have refused to budge a single penny from the jacked-up price they're now asking from me: almost two grand more than agreed.
    I did what was suggested earlier here: being diplomatic & talking nice to them, while hinting of filing complaints with BBB and Cal. Attorney General, etc. Offered to meet them half way; they said not a nickel less than their inflated price.
    but haven't talked in person to them; so the fleet mgr set up meeting for next Wednesday to meet them in person.
    I have already filed both of those complaints but didn't tell them I had. They must know by now because both agencies responded immediately saying they'd opened a case and had forwarded my complaints to the dealer.
    I think I may also file an action in Small Claims Court, but I need to get all my supporting documents together for that, plus find out the actual owners of the corporation.

Anyway, the search continues.
    I have to keep reminding myself "it's only a car" so that it doesn't get blown out of proportion.

Ultimately I think I'll search for a good deal on the east coast or the mid-west, because according to THIS edmunds townhall forum they're giving much better deals out there; and I want to take a road trip out there anyway to visit family, so I'd only be looking at a one-way air ticket to the dealer, and then only a return trip with the car.

Cheers!
    Yes. I bought it for $25988.00 + tax and DMV fees.

I have been looking for black/black with navigation + all options in Bay Area, CA for the past 3 weeks or so. I couldn't find one. But a dealer 100 miles from my place had it & He quoted me for approx. $26300. But, I am not sure it has all the options or not. I was planning to go there this weekend. However, I looked for inventory online last evening (BayAreaHyundai.com -- They have web links to all the bay area dealers) and found that it was available near my place.

I went to the dealers this morning ~9:30. They open at 9:00. Initially, the sales manager told me that he can't reduce a single penny & He offered it for 30k. However, I have done enough research in this forum and got a lot of helpful info from the members. Thanks to everyone. Based on the info I gathered here in this forum, I told him that I don't care about the add-ons. He took it off. So, it came down to the MSRP 28395. Then I told him that I have quotes between $25350 to $26000 and I can buy it for $25350. (I have looked at this forum to come up with these numbers. But I have not got any quote for 25350. One internet guy told me that he can give it for 25000 but he has not in stock. I don't believe that he could give it to me for 25k). We negotiated back and forth and this time He showed me the invoice price. It was something around 26700 & He offered it for 27k. I told him that I am not in a hurry. 'If you can't give it to me I can wait for couple of months. Also, I can go to the other dealer and try'. I was ready to go. He wouldn't let me go. Finally, I told him 'I can pay 25900. This is my final offer'. He wrote the number 25998. I told him 'if you add wheel-locks to it i will buy (it was the only options missing originally)'. He agreed. It is a long story. But, I hope it helps my fellow members here in this forum.
    edited May 2010
    Did the car your driving now blow up? Why all the effort, time, mental games etc. to buy this particular car?

What they did to you they have done to others, is common business practice, etc., etc.

After all they have put you through. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU BUY THE CAR FROM THEM NOW?

I think quite frankly, you have forgotten it's only a car, and you are getting ready to engage in a "battle" for reasons only known to you.

CHEERS!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Check the exclusions on the extended warranty. Once the original one expires there will be a difference in what is covered. How many cars have you kept for 10 years or 100k? This is a very poor use of 2k dollars. You may want something different in 5 years. It will be a new world in the auto industry by then and the choices may make you want something different. You can put the 2k toward a new 80 mpg ride. ;)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One positive about Hyundai's extended "platinum" warranty is I think it extends bumper-to-bumper to 10 years / 100k miles, extends road service to 10 years, and is transferable--which would be a big plus on resale value. But IMO not worth $2000, especially since it has no value for five years/60k miles.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2010
    Chuck you are wise man. Introductory models if they get good reviews, the dealers will milk it. I am in market for a new car.

I like Sonata, but I am getting killer deal for an Accord. Accord automatic 4 dr, LX-P at 18,700 plus TTL and EX for 20,300. GLS auto with performance pkg plus destination plus mats is being offered for 19,832 plus T T & L.

Both are excellent cars, Sonata is more snazy looking but its steering is slightly overboosted and introductory modles have inherent risk. Love the way Honda handles but Sonata has a lot to offer.
    Thank you. For what it is worth, I have an '07 Honda Accord EX-L (4 cylinder) that I have had for 29 months purchased new. I currently have 72,000 miles on it without any issues what so ever. I am in industrial sales and drive 100 to 150 miles a day.

Back to topic - The new Sonata is one beautiful car, no doubt. Hyundai dealers are playing alot of games because of the initial demand. Unless one is in dire need of new transportation, there isn't any reason what so ever to pay what some of the dealers want. It's stupid.

Wait and get a bigger discount and a rebate when they come. The bottom line is the economy is still very fragile and waiting will do everyone no harm what so ever.

Good luck with your Honda, while I am not overly impressed with the new Honda design, I will probably buy another.

They are great cars.
    edited May 2010
    Yes, chuck1919: I guess it is common business practice.
    But why do you question my desire to buy a new Sonata at this time? That's what most of the people posting on this particular thread have already done or are preparing to do.
    Because your current car blows up isn't the only reason people buy new cars.

But I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "mental games, effort and time". This is not what I bargained for but I guess we all have to go through some of this if we want a new car at a fair price.
    What's a fair price? well, when buyer and seller agree on a price, I guess that's the first step to a fair price.
    I question why you're dumping on ME, chuck1919; I'm the victim of these deceptive practices and I'm just reporting the facts as they unfold.
    I thought others here might want to know. (maybe you're one of THEM (the weasels) and you're defending these despicable practices, chuck1919)

But hey, guess what? Unbelievable !!!

It happened AGAIN; today! (only much shorter time-frame than last time).

This past Friday evening I contacted a dealer about 100 miles away; and told him the Sonata that I was looking for.
    Low and behold he had one! He replied to my email on Saturday with a price quote: MSRP price and the price he was willing to sell for to me.
    Good price: $26000. so I immediately wrote and called back saying I would take it. He said fine, he had to go to his other lot to get it, and I should call back in 2 hrs. In 2 hrs he said he was getting the exact car that I wanted, price was $26,000 and he'd put a Sold sign on it and wait for me to come in on Monday morning.

Well, today, Monday morning, I drove the 100 miles but when I got there he said "sorry, this car is in such high demand that the price had to be $26,850."
    I was stunned of course, because we had a written offer and acceptance deal !!
    He apologized but said nothing he could do; take it or leave it.
    I left it.

These are unscrupulous weasels, just like car salesmen have always been. Wasted a day and 200 miles driving !!

Dealer is Garden Grove Hyundai in Garden Grove, CA. but it could just as easily be any one of the dishonest snakes that pass for car dealers here in southern california.

Rick
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Sorry you're getting the run around but thanks for mentioning the dealer...this forum would be a lot more useful if others would do the same...good dealer experiences or bad.
    I hope everyone here don't go to buy at Garden Grove Hyundai in Garden Grove, CA.
    edited May 2010
    I don't sell cars.

So a dealer does it TO YOU AGAIN. I hope you enjoy shopping for your car that is in "high demand" and seeing all the tricks the dealers will do with you. To save you some time, they will include-
    1) Telling you they have the actual car when they don't, just to get you in to the dealership.
    2) Changing the quoted price.
    3) Quoting you a price, but forgetting to add the freight line on the MSRP sticker.
    4) Quoting you a price, but telling you that YOU MUST buy an extended warranty to get that price.

I am sure there are so many others, but there are too many to list.

Good luck! BTW. To show you I am a nice guy I have included a link on how to bring a car in to California. (It does state to look under the hood for California certification as I have stated).
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
    edited May 2010
    by the way I have traded-in my 11 year old car when I bought this car. My insurance has increased by just $147 per year. pretty good. :)
  • brewerfanbrewerfan Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have an idea of a good OTD price on these? I got quoted at $15334 before TTF today. It seems TrueCar's and Edmunds' assessment of them is too high

What about a 2010 with 28k miles on it? I'm getting prices of 13500 out the door and that smells high for 28k rental miles on it. Edmunds doesn't let you do the TMV on a used 2010.
  • 7300valero7300valero Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    2011 Hyundai Sonata SE with Navigation and all options for $24,900.00

I helped my mom purchase a Hyundai sonata SE yesterday. While the salesperson was tutoring on Navigation, sunglass box kept falling and we were not able to make it stay closed. We made an appointment with service department to address the issue.
    Now.. I come back from work at 2AM.. It seems like sunglass box stay closed in colder temperature. I noticed that rpm is idling very high and it took very long time to come down to about 800rpm. What it bother me the most is rattling sound when car is P positon. It sounds worse than the 10 years old car that we traded for. (2001 Acura tl 3.2 )
    When I pop the hood I notice that engine is vibrating much harder than any other car that I owned. Is this something common in 2011 Hyundai Sonata or did my mom just purchase a defective car.
    Comparing a V6 engine, known for years as one of the smoothest most refined engines (all of the Honda J-series V6 engines have been known for their silkiness) to a Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine isn't really a fair fight. Direct Injection type engines aren't usually as silky smooth as typical Fuel Injected engines, but the tradeoff is usually a worthwhile one to most people, because of the increased power and economy a DI engine provides.

If you're truly concerned, take it to the dealer, and simply ask to have another Sonata cranked and compare yours with the one on the lot.
    did you test drive this before you bought it?