Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 7300valero7300valero Member Posts: 5
    You sound much more educated than my saleman who keeps saying " It is normal, my 08 Elantra does it all the time. You are just being sensitive". I was able to convince the salesman to let me hear and see other engines on 2011 sonata. He showed me two with 300 miles and 15 miles. The engine on my mom's car shakes much harder. The hose coming out of engine and air vent unit rattles whereas other two do not. I made an appointment to get it serviced but I am afraid they will not be able to fix it and we are stuck with the car. BTW my mom is 72 years old and she has hard of hearing. Even she was complaining about the rattling noise.
    I did but I didn't notice it at the dealer.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, I've come to realize that most car salespeople aren't car enthusiasts; they learn the product as much as necessary, but not being interested beyond job-requirements means they won't learn the intricate details that a car-lover does.

:shades:
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    That's true because most don't stay in the job long enough to learn. I've found the most knowledgeable staff at the higher end import stores. MB,Infinity,Audi, BMW,Lexus and Acura. You can find an enthusiast once in a while at VW. Otherwise, they usually know very little except the sales script.
  • abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, chuck1919:

you have totally redeemed yourself in my eyes, with your last post. :-) :-)

thanks for the encouragement; guess what?

last night my "Sonata-buying nightmare" came to an end.
    found THE car and got THE price.
    It was pretty tough, though, and the 4 hrs have left me exhausted, so if anyone want details, just let me know.
    I did learn a few new things, though.
    And yes, chuck1919, the list of tricks & ruses & lies & omissions is pretty long.
    But ya gotta adimire them sometimes. and they do have mouths to feed, so .....
    I'll not post some of the Hyundai-generated holdbacks, kick-backs, bonuses, and "private" incentives that help these guys make a living. At least I won't post it publically ..... if you want some details just PM me directly.

So back I go this morning, to pick up my new car; only 22 miles away so it's fairly local.
    I had been looking as far as 125 miles away, with well over a dozen dealerships involved in quoting me prices.
    (yes, I left the car there, without touching it, after the deal was all done & signed; they were REALLY p*ssed about THAT, let me tell you! wanted me to at least drive it around the block before leaving it there.) but I needed to sleep on it and let it all sink in, and gather together whatever residual questions I still have.

Thanks to you all who contributed to my ever-increasing knowledge about this process, and to those who sympathized with my various aborted attempts to become a Sonata owner.

.......later

Rick
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Why did they want you to drive it around the block?
  • drdrakeramoredrdrakeramore Member Posts: 49
    abigmutt: I'd appreciate hearing your info on price, kickbacks, incentives, etc. - my wife and I will be shopping tomorrow and frankly I could use the help.
    edited May 2010
    I found this website to be very helpful. www.capitalone.com
    I used this website in past and I find their auto buying program very useful.
    You don't have to get a loan from them. Just click on "Auto Loan" then to " Auto buying program" Once you select the brand and model with all the options, it shows you what dealers are willing to sell their cars for. Helpful section will be "what others really paid" This section shows true dealer cost, factory invoice, great price, and etc... If you click on tab, it shows what the holdback is for the dealers. This website will email you "guaranteed pricing certificate". I used this website to get leverage from nearest dealer from my house and it worked out great. I purchased 2011 Toyota Sienna and 2011 Hyundai Sonata. For 2011 Sienna, I was able to get $500.00 less and free oil change up to 30,000 miles from initial nego. On Sonata, I told the sales manager "if you don't discount another "$600.00, I will go to a dealer that guaratee me that pricing". Thank god he accepted because silver Sonata Se was selling like hotcakes and it was hard to locate the one that I like. BTW that other dealer was 146 miles away.

PS.. On these Sonatas, please check before you purchase
    1. look for center console rattle (assembled poorly)
    2. check the door latches (recall.. )
    3. sunglass holder ( I purchased with defective sunglass holder )

I have been to their service dept 2 times already and they are ordering me a new one.
  • czcon1czcon1 Member Posts: 39
    I just bought one last weekend with all options except the cargo net and paid $24750. I live in upstate NY in the Albany area and the dealerships around here wouldn't deal much from sticker price. Fuccillo which is the largest Hyundai dealer in the state I believe wanted you to pay MSRP. I ended up buying from Prestige in Kingston. The internet sale manger is great, also if your in the upstate area looking for a Hyundai head south because there's major competition from the dealers in the NYC area.
  • natalie02lenatalie02le Member Posts: 19
    2011 Sonata GLS, Pacific Blue Pearl/Camel with popular equipment package plus navigation, floor mats, cargo net, ipod cable. MSRP $23,550. Selling price $21,614 plus TTL. The $499 dealer fee was a wash with extra $500 owner loyalty rebate. I highly recommend www.fitzmall.com. They have low prices posted online that include only those rebates available to all. Anyone can purchase for the prices they post. The purchase experience is so much better when you realize everyone buying there is getting a good deal without any hassles, games, etc. They do sell finance manager office extras, but I felt no pressure to buy. I listened and said no thanks. I found out about Fitzgerald from previous Edmunds forums posts. I drove past 3 other dealers and an extra 30 miles to give them my business because of their no-nonsense, straightforward low pricing.
    Capitalone links you to truecar which you can access directly. Overstock does the same thing.
  • zmarie08zmarie08 Member Posts: 2
    Last week I negotiated a price of $25,015 for a venetian red limited w/o nav. I didn't feel it was a great deal compared to some of the posts I've seen a few weeks ago, but I checked other prices here in the midwest and it didn't seem too bad. Well, I was told the car was damaged in transit from another dealer and I was offered the choice of waiting 2 weeks for one they are requesting from the factory.

My salesman has offered to buy us dinner for our inconvenience. I told him what I preferred was a third proximity key since I heard those are expensive to replace if lost.

But I'm wondering if I can do better on the overall price?
    perhaps - in Denver I received quotes from 4 different dealers for a Ltd no nav at 23K & change (23,241 to 23,465) and they all indicated a willingness to price match. since that was the first quote from the internet (no negotiations), I figure they may be willing to go lower.

one guy told me as a general rule he'd take $3K off any new sonata
  • pkumar1981pkumar1981 Member Posts: 15
    if you dont mind me asking, what options model and price did u get before tax title and fees? I am in the mkt. how do u like ur new car? is it smooth? gonna test drive soon. congrats!!!!!!
    Im trying to fig out how to PM, I havent been on this site since I purchased my ES350.

Anyways I am in the market for 2011 Sonata for my younger brother who is graduating. I cant stand dealers and their hustling methods. I have had deals fall through in the financing room after all negotiations, these guys dont leave you alone until your rear tires leave their property! anyways, your pricing paid with option taxes title fee etc would be appreciated, and which dealership did you get this car at? thanks ...
    there is no such thing as PM on this site, the intent is it's all public...

would really appreciate the info from abigmutt
  • mollyzhumollyzhu Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who bought this car recently?
    I got a quote about 18600 OTD (including tax in CA). Even only one car is left, the dealer does not give any discount.
    Is this a good deal?
    Thank you very much.
    Not knowing the actual price breakdown makes it hard to know whether or not the deal is decent. It sounds high, but we don't know what taxes, what option pacakge may or may not be included, what transmission it has, etc.

The actual price of the car shouldn't be above $16k, for a 2010 GLS with Popular Equipment Package 2 and automatic.
    have u had personal experience purchasing this vehicle at 16K, or just making a suggestion based on invoice and logic?
    Local ads in st. louis confirm the 16k price. But of course, can't say what the battle would entail to actually buy one for that. All kinds of exclusions I would guess.
  • hyundai2011hyundai2011 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2010
    if you dont mind me asking, what options model and price did u get before tax title and fees? I am in the mkt. how do u like ur new car? is it smooth? gonna test drive soon. congrats!!!!!!

see my original post

I like it very much. already put 500 miles. works great. got around 30 mpg.
    edited May 2010
    You're correct, there is no PM function on this site; only the hyundai-forums.com site which is very similar to this site, it seems, in scope, size, etc.

I posted that I bought my Sonata Ltd w/Nav and it was a real challenge here in southern california.
    You folks in other parts of the country are lucky, for instance those places that have those fitzmall dealerships. They seem to be a real good bet, if you live near any ot them. They seem to sell their Ltd w/Nav models for around $1,000 below invoice.

sorry, I can't speak to any other models except the one I looked for and finally bought. I paid $600 below and it was for a hard to find color. That was my experience at least during the last 3 months: there seemed to be hardly any red ones making it out this far to the west. Plenty of silver, black and white, but few dark blue and few red ones.
    (funny, suddenly a lot of the dealers here have the purple ones, which everyone was saying were so difficult to get).

So in summary, if color was not a determining factor, I could have bought several times at $1K below invoice, but I was holding out for a red one. (hey, at my age you never know whether this will be your last chance to own a red, semi-sporty-looking car !!)

I'm pretty happy with my Sonata, although I must say it certainly rides like a car of its weight. It takes getting into a car like a new Sonata to really appreciate the ride of a luxury american car. Oh well, at least I'll pass more gas stations with this new Sonata, even though I'll be bouncing around while doing so.

A bit of advice that I CAN post publicly: if the GAP insurance you're offered includes new car replacement for 5 years and you financed a major part of the car's purchase price, swallow hard and get the GAP policy. approx $600 but gives you lots of peace of mind, not to mention how glad you'd be if by chance the car was stolen and written off.
    Don't think the alarm systems will save your *ss, and CERTAINLY NOT the mere factory alarm system which is a joke.
    Actually another good alternative would be a LoJack alarm for about $700. It will quickly recover the car before it can be wrecked or dismantled. And it's the only one that transmits its signal through garages & other structures, in case the thief manages to quickly get the car inside a building or garage.

Finally, on price: there's a myriad of ways these guys get paid for every car, besides the profit between their true buying costs and selling price: 2.6% factory holdback; about $300 directly back to the salesperson if you give them a perfect score on the post-sale survey; another $300 leads fee (they call them feeders) that they don't have to pay IF you contact the dealer for a quote directly or through the hyundai site before contacting TrueCar, ZAG, Overstock, etc. etc.
    These are all leverage for giving you a better bargaining position; but only if you know about them and can "throw back at them" the specifics of why they DO HAVE more room to lower their price.
    The BEST technique is still the old-school one: walking out of the negotiations. You can always come back, after driving around the block or going to a Starbucks to clear your head.
    In fact, even if you're finished & satisfied with the price you & the salesperson have reached, GO OUT & TAKE A BREAK before seeing the guy in Finance. You do need to get yourself ready for another round of bargaining (the add-ons) in case you might want to consider one or more of them. The GAP policy is (in some cases) a good one to consider; but you need to fight for lowest price there too. You may want a little extra alarm protection, too, from what factory system gives you. But if you worn down and not as sharp as you need be, you'll end up paying way too much for that add-on.
    Lastly, remember you can change your mind at any time (and re-open negotiations) until you physically drive that buggy off their lot. (I ended up doing this, the next day when I returned to pick up my Sonata, because I'd reconsidered something in the interval.) They merely have to tear up the old contract and re-print a new amended one (which takes about 20 seconds these days with everything computerized).

You've worked hard for your money, and THEY have the advantage of knowing exactly what their absolute bottom price is. Even if they have to take currency out of their wallet & give it to you in order to clinch the sale, they're still earning good money from every sale they make. (this has happened to me twice, actually).

To REALLY get the best price possible is a gruelling experience, one that many buyers don't want to endure, and that's what car salesmen are hoping for. Hey, if you don't want to go through it and leave $500-$1000 on the table, that's fine. I understand it and for many customers it's worth $1K to have a "pleasant & efficient buying experience." The dealers certainly hope you'll elect to go that route.
    But if you can stomach a few anxious moments and are prepared to do what it takes to buy a car at rock-bottom price so that YOU can have that extra thousand in YOUR pocket, just take a deep breath and walk in there, armed with all the information you can gather, and 3-4 hours later you'll drive home in a new Sonata.
    A month ago I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2010 Sonata GLS with PEP 2; I received a price for $16,300 incl. destination and all fees with no haggling; I used Cars.Overstock.Com to help leverage a good price right from the start.

Hope this helps!
    I got two quotes from two dealerships in North Jersey - they just quoted me 24,800 & $24,900 plus TTL fees on a SE nav/sunroof model 2011 sonata - silver - this was their first offer over the phone ... I did not even haggle them yet or go into dealership. The sticker was 25,995 for this vehicle. (no mats or cargo net)

I sill feel this is high because their invoice is less than 22K on this car. :shades:
    With a sticker price of $26K, you think the invoice price is less than $22K ?????
    Not in MY lifetime, at least not so far;
    More like $24K.
    better check it again.
    Yeah but seriously you cant believe that the invoice is 24K if the sticker on that car is 25,900... first deal these two dealerships are offering me are 24,800. You mean to tell me they are offering $800 over invoice over the initial phone conversation? I bought a ES350 at $5,000 below invoice when it was a new generation model two years ago. I know thats luxury markup but a car like the Sonata has such a high demand that no dealer in PA is offering more than few hundreds off. In North Jersey (tri-state) competition is tough, there first negotiation starts at 1K less. If people are getting quoted 16,800 for GLS before TTL, then with standard options of SE why should there cost be more than few thousand higher? Its the same engine and body etc. only things different are Nav sun roof, alloy wheels, dual exhaust, push start ignition. These options are not really that expensive. Also FitzMall.com is offering this car at $23,800 delivered to your door, plus offering you a loaner while you wait.
  • ybnvusybnvus Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    We bought a 2011 limited w/ nav in harbor grey metallic w/wine interior from Waco Hyundai on May 1st. My wife's 2002 limited quit after 212000 miles and we needed a replacement. My wife wanted the grey/wine interior and they had to go get it from another dealer in Houston. sticker was $28,300 and we paid $26000. I used internet quotes and believe that is the only way to negotiate. Just don't like all the calls and bs from salesman. I know we could have gotten a lower price but considering our time frame and specific trim I am very satisfied. We put about 28000 miles a year on this car so put out $900 more to take the bumper to bumper to
    100000 miles. After 2000 miles we love our car although the gas mileage is around 26 so far. Hope this is helpful. ;)
    Yes, that is more or less how it seems to be going for the Ltd & the SE w/Nav: $2K and change between the MSRP (sticker) price and their "invoice" that they show you, then they give you (or at least CAN and SHOULD) another $500 off that invoice price.

Some may moan & groan about how they're not making any money off that kind of deal ("but we'll make it back on the next one" or "but we'll hope you come back here in the future" , ".... for servicing" or "send your friends here" --- blah blah blah. they used them all) but ultimately they're making a good profit from the sale to YOU, and making great profit from the "roll-overs" as those other customers are known.

Hey, has anyone ordered one of those Consumer Report things for $7 or $10 or whatever, where they tell you what each & every option costs the dealer, as well as they're invoice price, etc.?
    I'd be curious to know how accurate they are; and compared to ZAG and TrueCar and Overstock, etc etc.

Something I didn't post before is that throughout my 3-month searching/purchasing experience I of course met lots & lots of sales people and internet sales managers and manager-managers and so on; well, most were just your generic car sales person: good at their job, mostly, but also wouldn't/couldn't give you a fully-truthful answer if their own mother was slowly being dipped in boiling oil; but this one "manager", their internet manager actually, grew up working for his dad's car dealerships that're still operating, had worked several other brands over the years, now landed here in s. california from the mid-west , loves people but deep-down hates being a "car salesman",

well, we hit it off immediately and over the course of a few meetings, etc Anyway, I went back to see him AFTER I bought my car somewhere else, to tell him to stop looking for my car and to thank him for his help & so on ........... anyway, each time we talked trash for long periods of time, and we've become friends.
    Now I'm not saying he's spilled all the dirt .......... but let's just say I wish I'd met him 3 months earlier; and also wish he's let me write a book (competition for Consumer Reports?) about pricing and techniques and realities about car dealerships.
    Heck, I wish I could post some of the pricing stuff here but I respect his candor and I value our new friendship. Let me say one thing: they actually DO sell new cars, sometimes, at below their bottom-line, actual cost. not often but sometimes you can hit it just right and buy a car for as much as $1K lower than their ACTUAL cost. Plus, a car salesperson also gets paid part of his commission directly from the factory; whether the dealer makes or looses money on the deal. That's why the salespeople will sometimes pull actual cash (or write a cheque, as happened to me one time) out of their own pocket, on-the-spot, and give it to you, to keep the deal from falling apart. (like, if you're only $100 or $200 apart) Some dealerships won't let them do that, or more precisely, don't want to witness that happening; so the sales person will have to do it on-the-sly; others will pretend to do it on the sly, as a sales technique, but everyone knows it's happening.

"Old-school" techniques are still alive, folks; only being augmented with newer & refined techniques. Don't believe for a moment that his business didn't adapt REALLY quickly to the internet informantion age: they not only adapted but are using it to THEIR advantage; very successfully.

well, gotta go; good luck to y'all who still are hunting, and hang in there: your car & your deal will come, as long as you stay somewhat detached, emotionally, from the actual, final purchasing process once you locate & decide on your special car. Don't be impatient during this final step; that's the best advice anyone can give you.

Rick
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    Without haggling I was able to get a quote on 2011 GLS Sonata with PEP plus destination charges for 19,500 plus TTL will run it to 21k drive off price, from Tony@ Huffines Hyundai in McKinney, which is north of Dallas.

Always negotiate the drive off price since they will pad it with ad valorem tax, document fee and other bogus fees, especially if you bargain hard up front on selling price.

To arrive at invoice price, check Edmunds but quick approximation is 90% of MSRP will get you the ballpark #. As Consumer Report states these are artificial numbers since the true dealership cost is invoices less holdbacks, commisions and factory incentives= wholesale price. Work the SP up from wholesale, and not down. Get CR's true car price not Edmund;s TMV, which is inflated and even dealers love to refer to it.

I am looking at Honda Accord LX-P 4 cyl 4 dr 5spd AT , the drive off price the dealers will sell for is 21k and SP is 19,500 and its invoice is 21,400. Its due to factory incentives. BTW EX 4dr Accord drive off price 22,500, no problem!

Love Hyundai's styling and features, but Accord has terrific resale and Sonata doesn't, so why pay premium price? Buy 100k bumper to bumper warranty from Honda for 1200 and in long run you are still ahead due to resale. Honda is slightly noisy due to tighter suspension, but has superior handling specially the steering!
    In Dallas market 2011 GLS with PEP plus mats, the best quote was 19,500 and drive-out price was 21,000 plus change. The Texas sales tax is 6.25% and the title, license and document fee are about $300 with doc. fee at 119.

Love the 2011 Sonata but have some concerns. It's a introductory models with gas direct injection that is notorious for injectors getting clogged. Resale value on Sonata is not the best, so paying higher intro. price is not prudent- It will have rebates within a year, as they always do.

I am getting Accord LX-P or EX 4 cyl AT 4 dr. sedan for 1900 off invoice due to factory incentives, so I will play it safe LX-P drive off price @ 21k and Ex at 22,600.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,down here in south fla my girlfriend just purchased a 2011 sonata gls with no other options just standard features.haggled down to $18,800.00 plus TTT with no loyalty rebates and no trade-in.we love this car and get looks,compliments,and stares everywhere we go.what a great feeling..i also own a 2010 kia forte koup sx which i purchased a few month's ago.i also get looks,compliments,and stares everywhere i go with the forte koup sx.who would have ever thought a few years ago that the koreans would be building cars that turns people's heads around in amazement.well,that's what's happening with my girlfriends new 2011 sonata and my 2010 kia forte koup sx.way to go korea!!!!!!!!!!!
  • laptevlaptev Member Posts: 18
    Which do you like better - the forte or sonata? I'm cross shopping these two for mainly an efficient commuter car that I can put snow tires on in the (driving suv now)
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    they are rather 2 different cars.the forte koup sx is geared towards a more sportier driveing experience while the sonata is a family sedan with pretty decent handeling for it's size but it's no sports car like the forte koup.however,as i mentioned in my previous post both of these cars are well made and have a lot of standard features for the money as well as a great warranty.you can't go wrong with either one.
  • vj123vj123 Member Posts: 2
    Does this 19,500 doesn't include any rebates by the Hyundai? How did they bring it down to 19500?

Thanks,
  • jbob3798jbob3798 Member Posts: 7
    Lithia Hyundai in Renton, WA. Purchased for $24400 out the door included $500 rebate from Hyundai and 3.90% financing with Hyundai. Great experience. Dealt with the Internet manager.
  • kramerica4kramerica4 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I just bought a 2011 sonata GLS from Hyundai in Schaumburg, IL for 20,800. This was the out the door price.
    Hyundai in Elgin, IL tried to jack me around, I would avoid them. Shortly after I bought it, O'Hare hyundai offered me the same car for 19,200 OTD. Oh well, still feel good about the 20,800
  • zornundozornundo Member Posts: 21
    invoice is right at 24,800-ish on SE with nav/sunroof
  • smartbuyer3smartbuyer3 Member Posts: 1
    My Vernon CT dealer wants to offer 72 months free financing but I pay list price. Is this a good deal for a 2011 Sonata?
    Which model? SE invoice around $19000 and selling retail around $23000. $4000 difference. 72 months at 7% interest = $5000 . Buy at invoice and get a good deal on financing and it's a better deal. The LTD invoices at just under $25000 and retails for $28000 or so. $6300 interest at 7% on 72 months, again, get invoice pricing and you win. Get your pricing at www.edmunds.com
    Look up new vehicles. Put all equipment you want and check your invoice price and any deal Hyundai is offering. (Rebates, low % loans). Then let Edmonds send your email to a local dealer or two. The internet manager will make you a great deal. Always buy through the internet manager. Good luck.
    I reverse what I told you in my previous message. I went to the Edmunds site and you will save more by getting zero % financing. You must negotiate the best deal you can get and you will save more with 0% financing vs buying at invoice and going with their 3.9% deal for 72 months. Again, good luck. Just make sure you are not paying more than the MSRP according to Edmunds.
    Nope. No rebates. He said factory incentives allowed him to do so. Remember the true cost of car is not the invoice, its the invoice less holdbacks, commissions and other factory incentives. I dont even do hard bargaining. Its Tony @ Huffines Hyundai of McKinney, Texas. I postponed my purchase, will do it in June.

I got my sis even a better deal. She Accord LX-P 4 dr AT with protection pkg. for 19,400 about 2500 less than invoice. Its an impossible deal but 19,500-20,000 is doable! Accord has best reliability and resale index and I think its better driving vehicle except slightly more road noise due to firmer suspension.
    If you are paying MSRP for any car you have money to burn but for Sonata that doesn't hold resale value its downright foolish! Unless you are in a bind, the target price should be between wholesale and invoice but is hard to do so with new introductory models. Wait for while and Sonatas will have rebates and factory incentives, they always do.

I am finding superb deals on Accords which are very safe bet, despite all the auto journalists pronouncing them such an unfit class leader. Their excellent reliability, resale and excellent driving dynamics makes them a great deal. Accord LX-P 4 dr AT is being sold under 2 k invoice and so are other models. Even Altimas and Camry are being discounted.
  • toysaxtoysax Member Posts: 28
    in the process of finalizing a deal with liberty Hyundai in Denville NJ Radiant silver limited no option package $24,500 out the door... I asked them to find either se with option package or limited without. for that price.. manager is doing the legwork and has the limited..faxed me the VIN sheet... so it has to clear customs and its mine!
    Latest news is that 2011 hyundai BEATS honda accord or toyota camery on resale and residuals.. please check your facts!! Nonetheless paying MSRP is almost unheard of... ! and yes foolish!
    That is a projected forecast of what the car will be worth in 3 years. The residual value is essential for leases and the Sonata is truly the highest. The actual auction prices in three years will reveal if the banks were right or wrong.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    ?? Customs for a vehicle made in the USA ?? They are made in Montgomery, Alabama. I never heard of a customs paper for one before this.

van
    "customs" was my phrase, not the salesmans! He said its on the dock and has yet to be checked through.. I think that all cars have a final check before delivery to dealers???so I guess they are shipped by boat up the east coast, rather than by rail or car carrier from Alabama.?.... in any case he faxed me the vin sheet showing the contents of the car.. vin# etc... says I should have it within the next week or so...
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    My opinion is that the economy is far worse than what the government and its co-opted (i.e. bailed out) financial analysts/economists are telling the public.

Also, the "bounce" in car sales is coming off of the worse year for sales (i.e. 2009) that we had in the U.S. in 42 years, despite the fact that the country is twice the size now than it was then.

In 2005, nearly 17.8 million new vehicles were sold. Last year, that number fell, even with cash-for-clunkers and other stimulative actions by government, to 9.9 million.

A bounce to 11 million units, or roughly thereabout, in 2010 and 2011 is not necessarily healthy, and may in fact be a very troubling sign of another dip down that will take place in the future (the dreaded double dip recession that turns into a depression, potentially). This IS ESPECIALLY TRUE NOW THAT TARP, TALF and other government stimulus, which has been supporting the economy in large part, is winding down due to economic (i.e. deficit) and political (i.e. upcoming elections) concerns.

Therefore, anyone paying anywhere near MSRP for ANY new car, with very few, rare exceptions, is being played a fool, IMO.

FWIW, I see Hyundai Sonatas selling for $1,800 to $2,800 under MSRP routinely, and these prices are only so high because Hyundai was one of the few manufacturers to reduce manufacturer based incentives SO FAR this year.

Do not forget, however, that these are still mass produced goods, that roughly the same number are produced off the line each day, and that any slow down in buying will put fast pressure on any manufacturer, including Hyundai, to increase incentives to the point where they think they will not have to slow down production (this is because of 'economies of scale' production method advantages).

I personally think the U.S. and global economy is going to get much worse, and all manufacturers, with few exceptions (the very prestige brands, MAYBE), will have to increase subsidies and incentives in the months that follow.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    For those proclaiming the foolishness of paying MSRP, you are ignoring the total economics of a car deal.

For most buyers, the total price to buy a car is affected by sale price, trade-in value, and finance rate. A trade-in value that is well above market and a subsidized finance rate that is well below market might result in paying MSRP and still be a great deal. Similarly, getting a car at invoice and then getting ripped off on your trade or not getting the best finance rate might be just as foolish.

Negotiate these factors separately, and then consider their combined affect in determining whether you have a good deal or not.