Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Well, they don't sell every one for that low a price. But dealers, for whatever reason, sometimes do sell a car for many thousands below a normal price. I don't know why. Maybe to win a contest? between 55% and 75% of MSRP is doable on Hyundais and Kias with no trade and no dealer pacs.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I suppose. What gets me is when someone in these forums names the dealership so others can go there (many from another state which I find mind-boggling) so they can get the same "great" deal! Following that train of thought, the dealer would def go out of business giving all these great deals to folks who frequent edmunds..... ;)
  • toyotafreektoyotafreek Member Posts: 16
    What is a Valued Owner Coupon. It's listed as an offer in HFMC's website. There is an offer for $1,000.
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    What is a Valued Owner Coupon. It's listed as an offer in HFMC's website. There is an offer for $1,000.

It's for buyers that currently own a Hyundai vehicle.
    Go test drive a car. Talk with the salespeople. Be polite. Tell them you will buy it today if the price is right, but do not appear desperate for the car. Then offer whatever price you want to pay for the car. If each person who comes out tells you no, then go on to the next dealership.
    Repeat.
    Eventually you'll get lucky or tired enough to pay what they want.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    Since the incentives for October expired yesterday, does anyone have any idea about this month's incentives? Nothing is posted on the Hyundai website as of yet, just the ones that expired 10/31/05. I'm curious to see if the deals for the V6 Sonata's will get even better. Thanks again for your input.
    From what I've seen, it's usually 2 or 3 days into the new month when they reveal what the corresponding new incentives are. They'll probably have them up by the end of the week.

Perhaps they like to see what the final sales numbers are for the previous month (to gauge the incentive effectiveness) before they make a final decision on how to proceed in the new month? Just a guess.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    My local Hyundai dealer called me three times during this past week trying to get me to buy the '06 Sonata. They even called me last night (Oct 31), so sales must be really down for them to put forth that much effort to make a sale. I'm not sure that the Sonata is the right choice for me and I want to see the Azera first. But the dealer was ready to offer me almost anything to make a sale. Too bad I wasn't ready to pull the trigger just yet. He mentioned the incentives and my reply was that there will always be another deal down the road.... and there will be.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    Yes, I agree that there will be more good deals to be had. I can't help but think that the Sonatas are not selling well at all. I've seen maybe a half a dozen of them on the road since they hit the showroom floors.
    Hyundai overall sales dropped 11.2% this past October compared to October 2004, so that is indeed pretty bad. I can't remember the last time I saw Hyundai monthly sales decline year-on-year. The Sonata sold 9,676 units this October compared to 8,589 of the previous generation Sonatas sold last October. While this is an improvement, I'm not sure how this compares to their expectations of selling a newly re-designed car as compared to the model in it's last year as was the case in the fall of 2004. So, I'm guessing the incentives are going to remain pretty strong for the Sonata this coming month. We consumers might be able to score some pretty good deals on the Sonata, I'm thinking.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Sonata incentives are unchanged for November.
    I've decided to trade my 2002 Camry for a LX with the sun roof and CD changer. Fitz wants $20,070 which is $1,500 less than the best deal I have found locally in Pittsburgh. I'm going out to MD this weekend to buy the car. I hope it isn't a wild goose chase.
    From all I've read/seen they have a good reputation. I think they are a very high volume dealer and that's why they can cut such good deals. Good luck you. Please let us know how it turns out. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So the decline in sales really isn't due to the Sonata, but probably other cars, e.g. few '05 Elantras left on lots, no '06s yet and few incentives on them; same situation with the Accent; and Santa Fe and XG350 are old models being replaced soon.
  • mtice1979mtice1979 Member Posts: 22
    Print your internet request and take it to #1 Cochran in Monroeville. They will match the deal. Which would save you a lot of time and gas.

What people forget is that every Hyundai dealer pays the same for each car. The thing that differs at Fitzgerald, being that they are located in Maryland, ther is no regulation on doc fees.

Just email Cochran with what vehicle you want and the time and day you are coming and they will have the car waiting for you.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Fitzgerald are good guys. They are completely legit with their posted prices. While I am waiting to see what happens with Mazda 5 pricing, I very nearly made the decision to buy a Sonata last week. They had a good supply of 5 speed GLs, but they very nearly sold them out. I doubt many more sticks will be coming in. But, I had a long talk over the phone with the sales manager at the Hyundai store, and I believe everything he told me. The key with the lower prices we saw in October on the Sonatas versus what was posted in September is that Hyundai extended dealer money which the consumer usually is not aware of. I bemoaned the fact that I do not own a Hyundai currently, and therefore could not get the additional $1000 off. But he made the point that perhaps in November, the dealer money won't be there. So even if the published rebates don't change, it is possibly they won't be able to sell them as cheaply if all incentives are not continued in November.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Um, doc fees in Maryland are actually 'reasonable' compared to the great state of Virginia, where they really take you for a ride.
  • mtice1979mtice1979 Member Posts: 22
    In Pennsylvania they are regulated at $55 dollars, which is definately a far cry from other states. That is how Fitzgerald makes their money.
    "So the decline in sales really isn't due to the Sonata, but probably other cars,"

Yes... plus interest rates are going up along with energy costs for winter heating and general cost of living increases. If Hyundai really wants to get the '06 Sonota's moving, they need to offer a low interest rate on top of the incentives. If they showed me the rebates plus 0%/60 month financing, I'd be down there tomorrow to sign the papers.
    Lots of people are waiting for the Azera and other new models to be released before making a decision. The auto market is just in a bad position right now.
    Doc fees are nothing but a consumer ripoff. Years ago there was no such thing. Paper work expenses were just part of the cost of doing business. At some dealers, even the PDI charges are a ripoff because they don't do everything they're supposed to be doing during the PDI process.
  • sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    The competition is heating up. I live in NYC and in the last 5 months I have seen only one Sonata. Maybe sales are not so good.

I have shopped the car and actually cancelled three deals. Hyundai dealers, typical of the industry, are equally talented in sticking there grubby hands into your pockets. They have certainly perfected the art of the lie and misdirection.

In NYS the documentation fee is mandated at $45. In NJ, one dealer wanted $229.

A dealer in Hempstead LI had the balls to print on the contract an administrative fee of $375. Can't say dealers lack imagination.

The 2006 Honda Civic is a hot car in NYC. They are getting MSRP plus seven dealer add on items. The car is selling for around $22,000-for a civic.
  • bobembbobemb Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Sonata GL manual at Fitzgerald and was treated very well the whole time. The 'tax, tags, and title' were not extraordinary and I got out the door for less than 16k with no add ons. They did everything they said they would with no malarky. I'd go back in a heartbeat. If they can stay in business giving such deals, then that's where I'll go. Other dealers will just have to compete . . . :D
    Hyundai Motor America sold 29,413 units during the month of October. Year-to-date sales of Hyundai vehicles in the U.S. are up 7.6 percent over the same period, 2004. The all-new Sonata led sales in October with 9,676 units, up 13 percent over last year. "Automobile buyers in the U.S. are looking for value more than ever," said Mark Barnes, vice-president of national sales for Hyundai Motor America. "Hyundai's solid lineup of vehicles deliver that value," he added.

Following is the sales breakdown for October 2005:

CARLINE Oct/2005 Oct/2004 CY2005 CY2004

ACCENT 2,855 2,519 37,728 37,946
    SONATA 9,676 8,589 95,296 92,454
    ELANTRA 4,816 8,566 101,348 94,614
    TIBURON 1,467 1,767 18,211 17,484
    SANTA FE 4,224 8,946 60,830 94,457
    XG350 1,289 1,681 13,589 13,764
    TUCSON 5,086 1,043 51,606 1,066
    TOTAL 29,413 33,111 378,608 351,785

Thanks for the advise re Cochran. I filled out their little sheet. I'm sure they will call me tomorrow.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of people you meet when shopping for a car. My local salesman spent ten minutes telling me that Fitz's deal was impossible. I guess, if the guy knew what he was doing he wouldn't be whiling away his day in a dealership.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Interesting that October sales are down almost 4,000 units this year YET up 7.6% overall year to date! Wonder where they made up that deficit in the 1st 10 months, esp since you would figure sales would increase in Oct when they're clearing out last year's product and pushing the new Sonata.
    You are talking about all Hyundai sales, not just Sonatas, right?

The answer to your question: Elantras!

The recent reductions in Elantra rebates has caused a decrease in its sales. The Sonata is just a better value now. So, Sonata sales up and Elantra sales down.
    It's a chicken and egg thing. I think it was the low inventory of Elantras that caused the rebates to dry up, not the other way around. Had inventories been higher, I'm sure the big rebates would have been retained.
    Either way, the Sonata looks like a better value nowadays to me.
    Me, too. I just hope the incentives hold up into next year, as I won't be ready to buy a car until then--and that's when the local auto show rebate comes! :)
    The economy will suck (even more) this time next year. Might be a bad time to buy then. Not too good now for that matter.
    Eliminate car payments.
    Buy gold and silver.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If one has the financial ability to buy a car in a bad economy, car selling environment, that is the best time to buy a car.

As for gold and silver, that's a real risky gamble. In 1980 gold was over $800, today it's about $460. That's a big loss, especially when inflation is factored in. It's probably a loss of 75% or more. Silver peaked around $25 in 1980 and is now around $7.60. Unless one can follow these commodity markets and trade during the day, each day, the chances of losing money are higher than that of making money. The people trading millions will drive the market, while those trading hundreds or thousands, will always be behind the curve.
  • zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    That's a half dozen more than I have seen. Mine is the only one I saw
    this week, driving down I-79 to Pa. Turnpike to Va. and back.
  • mcruppsmcrupps Member Posts: 5
    The November incentives are now posted on the Hyundai Site. The V6 look unchanged for November.
    Does any one have any thoughts on is it more advantageous to shop the end of the month vs beginning or middle ect.

The dealers seemed to be more than willing to try and make a deal at the end of last month, I wonder will they have the same incentives this month
    Sure its risky if you buy after the price has run up really fast.
    Don't buy as the price is skyrocketing. Don't sell when price is low.
    Buy low, sell high.
    Gold and silver are cheap now.
    The government and the Fed has diluted the value of the dollar so much most people can't even afford to buy a house now. Nor a car soon.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Let's save the macro-economic debate for another forum....

thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Sounds like Cochran will match Fitz price, Fitz price went up by $500 because the spiff is no longer available.

Unfortunately, we looked at the Lexus IS 300 last night. It's a little more car for a lot more money. But importantly, my wife likes the Lexus. I guess that is why we have ended up with BMWs instead of Chevys over the years. Well, we will see.
    A little latitude please? From the Azera board:

#291 of 292 Hmm delayed again? by keithl Nov 03, 2005
    I stopped by a dealer last week as I am wiating on my next purchase until the Azera ships. Well he now says they were told it was pushed into January. The reason, too many XG350 left to sell. Well with all the Azera buzz do they think many will opt for a XG350? I gues if I was in a jam and had to buy now. He did say there was over $4000 iin rebates on the XG350.

#292 of 292 Re: Azera, Sonata or XG350? [keithl] by averigejoe Nov 03, 2005
    The XG350s are really nice cars if you can get a new one around $18,000 or so. It has a nice smooth ride and power delivery. Has a lot of equipment too. Increase the air pressure in the tires to improve the mushy handling.
    Go test drive one, but first ask the dealer to put at least 38 or 39 lbs into each tire (they'll safely hold 50).
    Inside, the XGs look a lot like a 10 year old Infinity Q45 or a 15 year old Jaguar XJ sedan. Some of us still admire that style.
    Outside, from the front you may see the Infinity I 35. From the back, a little like a Bentley. Overall it is at least unique.
    Price-wise, a new XG should cost no more than a 4 cylinder Sonata GLS with the premium package. Compare those 2 if you are thinking of a new Hyundai sedan around $18,000.
    There are dramatic differences. Find out which suits you best.
    (But I am really anxious to try an Azera.)
  • lemonade2lemonade2 Member Posts: 31
    I was given a price of $22,900 for a Sonata LX with option package 3. This is before any rebates.

Any Questions?...Any comments? Seems like a very good price to me.
    What was the MSRP on that one?
  • mcruppsmcrupps Member Posts: 5
    What is the spiff?
  • netscorernetscorer Member Posts: 5
    This is a good price as long as 22,900 already includes all extra fees dealer likes to attach, like destination, advertisement, processing, etc.
    In other words, if it's 22,900 - $2000 (current rebates) + tax then go for it.
    Cheers,

netscorer.
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

This is the deal that I received...I'm sure you can go a bit lower and the extra $500 rebates on the LX will help.

We purchased our car on 10/22/2005 in Houston, TX. It is a Bright Silver Sonata LX with Pkg.3 (Sunroof and CD Changer)

$24,895.00 MSRP
    $ 199.00 (Price of Tint b4 Negotiations)
    $23,439.00 Invoice (includes a $600 Advertising fee)

$22,500.00 Sale Price
    + $ 100.00 Tint
    + $ 1,293.75 Tax (6.25%)
    + $ 242.51 Fees
    - $ 500.00 Manufacturer Rebate
    - $ 1,000.00 HMFC Rebate
    - $ 400.00 Graduation Rebate

$22,236.26 Final Price

I wish I would have waited this week. I noticed that the rebates went up from $500 to $1000 on the LXs as well. Also, I wish I would have owned a Hyundai before to get the $1000 loyalty rebate. This would have brought the drive-out price to $20,736.26.

Thanks.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Yea, what is a spiff??
    Read this recent post and see if you can figure out what a spiff is:

#781 of 809 Re: Fitzgerald is really cheap [smith20] by rcinmd Nov 01, 2005 (4:05 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: smith20 (Nov 01, 2005 3:49 pm)

quote:

The key with the lower prices we saw in October on the Sonatas versus what was posted in September is that Hyundai extended dealer money which the consumer usually is not aware of. I bemoaned the fact that I do not own a Hyundai currently, and therefore could not get the additional $1000 off. But he made the point that perhaps in November, the dealer money won't be there. So even if the published rebates don't change, it is possibly they won't be able to sell them as cheaply if all incentives are not continued in November.
    In sales a spiff is "Special Pay Incentive For Fun Sales." I'm not sure how that relates to the price of a new car though. It is usually a cash bonus for a salesperson.
  • chuckluchucklu Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching the 06 Sonata price changing since September.

Till now, What I saw was that the price was not dropping. The competitive rebate available in September was gone. And the rebates of November are almost the same as those of October.

I am seriously thinking of buying a 4-cyl 06 Sonata by the end of this year. I have heard a lot that the best time to buy a new car is either in September or at the end of the year. So I was expecting the price of 06 Sonata to drop as the winter comes. But it didn't happen.

Will there be a good deal if I wait till Xmas? I will definitely have to buy one by that time.
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    I talked to one salesperson and this is what he said:

October
    This month is usually an okay sales month, but for some reason, this month (2005)was really bad for all dealerships nationwide. They were more willing to do lower sale prices to move cars.

November
    They do okay this month as well, but rebates usually stay the same as October. Most people want to wait until the end of year to buy. (If November is as bad as October, this could be a good time to buy.)

December
    Car manufacturers give the best rebates. Rebates might go up this month (2005), but no one can say for sure. However, everybody has the same concept of waiting until the end of the month to buy cars. Thus, the demand goes up and the supply will depreciate. (Supply vs. Demand Economics) Rebates may be higher, but they will be less willing to sell the car at a lower price. So do you really save a lot of money?
  • chuckluchucklu Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your information.
    This is going to my first new car, and the market is somewhat confusing.
    I'll probably wait for one more month, and go to some straight place like fitzmall for it.
    You'll never know what deal you can get until you go in and make an offer. Any offer the dealer makes to you is probably not his lowest price. And if the dealer won't take your offer, walk away. Try another one or go back next week.
    Another thing to consider: Every manufacturer has certain amounts of incentive money to spend every month. They need to spread that money across their product line. The cars that are selling the best will usually receive the least incentive money.

The 2005 Santa Fe's are starting to grow old on the vine here. The XG350s need to go as they are being replaced with the Azera. There are very few 2005 Accent, Elantra, Tiburon or Tucson to be found. The Sonata is already selling better than last years model. You will probably see a shift in large incentives to the Santa Fe's if I were to guess. I wouldn't think the Sonata will be increasing soon.

That said, I have no idea what will happen. I'm just trying to draw some logical conclusions. Take it for what it is worth.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The "buy a new car in September" thinking is based on buying an outgoing/expiring model, not the brand new model year.

The '06 Sonata introduced in the spring was not an outgoing or expiring model year...And a complete model redesign.

If you were considering an '05 "XYZ", with the '06 "XYZ" (same car, just a model year change) being introduced late Sept or Oct 1, then the "buy a new car in September" thinking would usually work for the '05. But your new car would be one model year old in a few weeks, if that matters to you. I didn't care. Bought '05 Sonata in April because it was great value and a great car. I didn't care that it would be "a year old" before a few tanks of gas. ;)