Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cktelnetcktelnet Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata limited 2.4L at a price of $23250 OTD in Northern VA area. I think this is a good price however I am a first time Hyundai buyer and just hope that it is a good experience with Hyundai and I have made a good decision in buying Sonata. I considered Nissan Altima 2012 (as 2013 model was very expensive with no incentives), Honda Accord but could not wait for the 2013 model same with Ford Fusion. I do not like Toyota Camry as it looks way too dull compared to the designs of other cars, heard good things about VW Passat but did not get time to check it out, so finally bought this one. Any good/bad experiences/tips/concerns for first time Hyundai owners and for this specific model will be appreciated. I am yet to explore the car and its features completely.
  • luxurypreneurluxurypreneur Member Posts: 12
    Hello. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Sonata SE (auto) with an MSRP of $24,120. I've been quoted by several dealers in my area.. the lowest was $20,060, which seems very low. The average quote was $21,000. They said this includes the $500 eco (which I qualify for) a $500 coupon, and $500 hyundai finance. What do I do if I want to pay in cash? How do I get a finalized sales price (without the hyundai finance rebate) without revealing that I will be paying in cash? I don't want them to pull one over on me because I'm not going to be making the loan department any money. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • sonataltd2013sonataltd2013 Member Posts: 10
    23250 OTD for a Limited 2.4L? This seems to be an unbelievable price. Considering 5% sales tax in VA (?), the sale price has to be less than 21800. For a limited, this is an awesome price. Enjoy the ride!!
    I heard that if they give a good price below invoice they usually earn some through their financing. And there is also $500 rebate if you go with their financing. So getting the same price with cash would be a little difficult to convince them. Why don't you go with their lowest APR 0.9% for 36mos and then pay off everything in few months if you have cash in hand. If you are reluctant to go with financing because of your credit, you can tell them that you will only buy if you get the lowest APR advertised and they might give it to you in spite of your average credit history.
    Tax in Virginia is 3% so the sale price is somewhere in the 22K range. They just calculated the total price and gave me a rebate of $1400 to come with a price of $23250 OTD.
    Congratulations on your new car!! I am getting mine tomorrow. Got the same car for 25300 OTD here in NJ. I didn't trade-in and also had my own finance through DCU. So, didn't qualify for their rebates. Considering that I believe I have a good deal.
    Now it's the time to enjoy the ride!
  • 2013sonataltd2013sonataltd Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations sonataltd2013. I am trying to buy one. can you help me with the below ?s please...
    what dealer did you get it from?
    Does it have Nav/Pan view?
    I got mine from Rockland Hyundai, Nanuet. I live in North Jersey and for some reason the Costco auto program gave me this dealer in NY. I went back and forth between 3 dealers before finalizing a deal with Rockland. Wayne also gave me almost the same deal.
    My car does not have Nav and Pan sunroof. That included would have cost me 27500+ OTD I believe.
    Try to get a truecar certificate rebate first and then ask the internet manager on the OTD. Try to get that in writing so you can use that to negotiate at other dealers.
    What model did you get and can you tell me what the OTD price was for you? I'm in North Jersey as well. Thank you.
    I got the Sonata Limited without Nav and Pan roof. I got it out the door at 25400
    Thanks for the info! What was MSRP and what price did you pay (before any taxes)? Much appreciated.
    The MSRP was 26815 and the sale price was 23650 (before tax + title+reg + dealer fees)
    After going back and forth with price quotes, I received the following:

2013 Sonata 2.4 Limited (no options)
    MSRP ($26,620)
    INVOICE: $25,211
    -$3,959 (Global Discount)
    -$1,000 ($500 Eco-Trade Bonus Rebate, $500 HMFC Rebate)
    -$500 (loyalty if qualified)

SALE PRICE: $21,161

I will qualify for 2 of the rebates, bringing the price to $21,661. However, at the bottom of the email it says the following:

"Price does not include tax, motor vehicle fees, destination, dealer installed options, and documentation. "

Do you think this is just the message they include in every email? Because for the "standard" 2.4 limited as built on hyundaiusa, the msrp is 26,620 with destination. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!
  • getacar2012getacar2012 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is my first time posting here. I'm in the process of buying a new car (2013 Sonata). I live in Northern CA and got the below quote from a dealer here. Please let me know if this is a good price?

Model Yr: 2013 Model: SONATA LIMITED PZEV

Added Features:
    *Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV)
    *Limited Premium Package: Panoramic Tilt and Slide Sunroof Navigation System with High-Resolution Touch-Screen Display Rear Backup Camera Infinity Premium Speakers, Subwoofer/External Amplifier
    *Carpeted Floor Mats
    *Cargo Net
    *iPod® Cable
    *Mud Guards
    *Rear Bumper Protector

MSRP $29,850
    PRICE $25,995 AFTER REBATE
    OTD price is $28,645.28

Thank you in advance for all your help and really appreciated.

Sen
    Typically the sales price does not include your state sales tax, registration and title and dealer "doc" fees. But I was thinking destination charge is included in the sale price. Try to get the OTD price before you go.
    The destination charge on Sonata is 775. That would take your price up to 22K. And the rest depends on what state you are in.
    But if you get the car OTD at 24K-25K that still would be a very good price in my opinion. Good luck with the deal!!
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    You should ask him for an OTD quote including destination, title, doc fees. Out of curiosity, what dealership and which state is this ?

The taxes are calculated based on Sale price (the price he quoted + any installed options + destination fees). The dealer might try and force some options to get to a higher price.

Even adding 800 for destination, sale price of 22400 -22500 is very good for the Limited trim. Its better to get the destination and doc fees in writing as well, before going to the dealer.
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    where did you buy?
    I am looking for sonata SE or limited dont know which yet.
    suggestions?
    I will go ahead and do that. The dealership is Global Hyundai in North Plainfield, NJ. I was hoping to take the quote to a closer dealer that I contacted who stated that we "match or beat". But, I want it in writing before I step foot in the door. And yes, I was thinking its a great deal even with dest. I actually was able to talk to my friend who used to be a salesman and he told me I should be aiming for a $22,000 sales price (not incl dest or $500 eco rebate). Also, I will not be financing, so I lose out on the additional $500. Once I have the quote in front of me at the dealer (and they think they are going to make their money on the financing), I'll drop the ball and pull out the blank check. ;) Wonder how they will react.
  • belwah87belwah87 Member Posts: 23
    What a great price! Which dealer was that price from? We are debating between the Sonata Limited and new Altima SL, but would be likely to go with the Sonata if we could get that price.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2012
    if any one in the ny/ nj area is interested i had hudson hyundia quote me $ 26,800 for a 2013 white, limited sonata with nav pk, wheel lock cargo net. fl mats , mud guards . you need to add tax, dmv fee's, and 389 doc fee. then minus any rebates for finance or loyalty . i would bet my life you could get another 500 dollars off that price.. i actually bought a 2013 kia optima for 500 below invoice. most of the hyundia dealers i spoke with for a 2013 limited sonata were willing to sell below invoice. dont forget folks if you buy at invoice price most dealers are getting 3 to 4 hundred just for doc fee's. so right there that puts you that much over invoice. on this sonata i mentioned invoice price with the dest fee is 28,004.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 8390
    Maximum doc fee in NY state is $75 so 389 is a mistake or a ripoff.

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/comment-page-1/#comment-53152

If it's NJ, it is completely negotiable (i.e., optional)
    I agree its just another way of the dealer making more money. sorry to say i could give you about 10 dealers in new york with high doc fee;s and it seems in nj every dealer is between 300 and four hundred. thats why if any dealer wants my buiness and wont come down on doc fee's guess what its that much more below invoice they have to go.... gotta play there game

I JUST READ THAT LINK YOU PUT UP VERY INTERESTING. THESE DEALERS WILL GET AWAY WITH MURDER IF THEY COULD. AND THEY ARE . IF EACH STATE'S CONSUMER AFFAIRS DONT STOP THIS MADNESS ITS JUST GOING TO GET WORSE . MORE PEOPLE SHOULD COMPLAIN AND HAVE THE AFFAIRS LOOK INTO THIS.

• catalina56catalina56 Member Posts: 18
    In Arizona OTD means "Out the Door" final price. Includes destination charges, taxes, doc fees, plates, etc.

Many are stating the OTD does not include destination charges. I'm confused.

What does OTD really mean. Many thanks
    I bought my car this weekend in NJ. From the beginning, I was dealing only in OTD price. And that included everything (taxes, doc fees, title charges, destination fees and the sale price). I got the Sonata Limited without the navigation for 25300 OTD.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Out the door pricing includes everything it takes to let you drive the car out the door. So all taxes, destination charges, any fees, etc. are included.

In general I like dealing with OTD prices since it cancels out things like reducing the sales price but adding on back-end fees to bring the profit back into the equation.

The problem with talking about OTD pricing is taxes. Different cities, counties, and states have different tax structures. Where I live cars are taxed the same as any other good, so the rate will be between 7-8.25%. Other areas have specific sales tax rates but tax new car sales at lower fixed rates. Still other areas might not have a car sales tax at all.

Also, some areas tax on the amount of the purchase and consider the trade-in as part of the payment. Other areas consider the net difference (new car price - trade in value).

Another problem is doc fees. Some states cap it at $75-150; other states don't cap it so you see $299 and up being charged.

It really does make comparing actual purchase prices more difficult when you talk to people who live in different states or with different sales tax rates.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • piezonpiezon Member Posts: 23
    you are correct in that you could get another $500 off that price. I have that exact car with the $200 up charge for shimmering white, and my price, before the $500 finance rebate was $26,250. I got the mudguars, wheel locks, floor mats, etc.
    Just got back from a 300 mi. round trip, mostly highway driving, and the read-out showed I average 34.2 mpg. , around town, we're just barely getting 20 mpg but the car only has 1,000 miles on it so it's still in the "break'in" period.

The car looks, feels & drives as nice as the 2003 Lexus we traded in. In fact, I think it looks even richer, both inside & out
    Hi,

Has anyone had any experience buying the 2013 Hyundai Sonata or the 2013 Limited. Thank you in advance for any help regarding the above.
    edited August 2012

edited August 2012
    if my numbers are correct you got your sonata for $1795 below invoice minus your 500 rebate. you did a great job.. my cousin is now looking for a 2013 sonata . i am going to shoot for about 1796 below invoice so i could have braging rights in this forum. lol ... i dont think that number below invoice is do able in the new york, new jersey area but i will try... please post the local dealer in p.a you purchased i'm looking to buy a 2013 gensis in december and i will do a 300 miles radius outside nyc area to get best price. tks brian

I live in :) Tucson, Arizona. I just received a quote from a phoenix dealer for a 2012 XLE 4 Cyl. Loaded with navigation, camera and Blind Spot mirrors. $28,000. plus tax, title & License. It that a good offer? He wants a $500. deposit to hold the car until it arrives on August 7th. What do you think.

catalina56
    what vehicle are you looking to buy model and options

2012 Toyota Camry, 4 Cyl. with Naviations, Back Up Camera and Blind Spot Mirrors. Received offer of $28K plus ttl. from Phoenix AZ dealer. Wants a $500. deposit until car arrives on 8/7/12, Good deal? Thanks

catalina56
    dont know about a 2012 camry.. catalina but if your in the market for a new sonata email about 20 dealers and tell them you will buy if they meet your price start at 1000 below invoice plus any incentive that apply to you.. someone will bite 18 dealers may so no and 2 dealers may say yes or counter you.. play the game. i love messing with these slim ball dealers who lie.. good luck

Thanks Brian, appreciate the information on the Sonata. I will see how the Camry plays out.
    catalina56
    I just got a few quotes from dealers in the Philly area for the 2013 Sonata Limited, without the Nav Package. The MSRP(including destination) is about 26,620 - 26,960 depending on the installed options. The best quote I received is about 23,200 but has to be financed at the dealer; about 1900 below invoice. I am trying to get them just a little lower so that I can get it for $24k flat out the door.

One of the dealers actually had a "list price" of $28.2k, that's 1600 above the MSRP ! And he offered to sell it at $25.5k (and it includes all rebates, for which I might not even qualify). Total BS!!
    TELL THE DEALER TO FAX YOU THE BUYERS ORDER WITH OPTIONS VIN #, AND PRICE OF VEHICLE. IF HE IS LEGIT THE BUYERS ORDER WILL HAVE ALL THE NUMBERS ON IT. THEN YOU COULD SEE IF HE IS LYING... SIGN IT AND GIVE HIM A 500 CREDIT DEPOSIT TILL HE GETS THE CAR IN.. THAT BUYERS ORDER IS A LEGAL DOCUMENT SO HE CANT CHANGE ANYTHING.. BUT YOU ARE WORKING A GREAT DEAL ALSO.. GOOD LUCK BRIAN

MY DAD BOUGHT THE 2012 SONATA LIMITED 8 MONTHS AGO AND HE HAS BEEN TELLING ME THE GAS MPG IS NOT WHAT THE MANUFACTOR IS STATING IF IM CORRECT HE TOLD ME HIS SONATA IS OFF ABOUT 4 TO 5 MILES PER GALLON.

• stipmomstipmom Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the NY/NJ area and e mailed a few dealers on Long Island. Some have not gotten back to me with a price and others want me to come down to test drive. Have done that already. I'm ready to buy.
    REF:8410
    For the model with msrp of 22600 (gls with pep and mats), a reasonable price is 1600-1800 below msrp. Loyalty and military rebates are available if you qualify. Beware of excess doc fees which in NY should be $75 max. good hunting...
  • sidsidsidsid Member Posts: 2
    Got a quote from dealer in south bay area, california for 2013 auto sonata gls with popular package for $19115 + tax. Should I go ahead with the offer or can I find a better price?
  • 123michael321123michael321 Member Posts: 2
    $19115 for a 2013 Sonata GLS w/PEP, is an excellent price. In fact, that'd be a good price for a GLS without PEP.

Just to confirm, the only thing extra would be sales tax, right? Not sales tax + $300 paperwork fee + title/tags + $250 dealer prep + $775 delivery charge + $459 to clean the tri-lithium resin out of the warp nacelles + etc.?

Is the $19115 after substantial rebate savings?
    REF:8413
    Don't forget the environmental clean-up fee. After all, it's California and that tri-lithium resin is on the harmful materials list, just like McDonald's happy meals.

If you can get the out-the-door price below 23k, that's a deal. Leasing might be better for some...

;)
    What rebates did it include to get the sale price to ~22k?(trade-in, financing, graduate, or military rebates?) Did you have any installed options(floormats, mud guards etc.?)

The lowest price I was offered in PA is about 22,800( for MSRP~ 26,900 and invoice 25230) and this includes 1400 in direct manufacturer rebates(500 event cash+500 financing rebate+400 grad rebate). The additional charges are PA taxes and tags.
  • mrmillzmrmillz Member Posts: 1
    My experience: went to Brad Benson Hyundai in NJ. Got a fully loaded 2013 Sonata Limited (Nav package, mats, tire guards, etc.)

Car had a dealer price of $34k, and a MSRP of $30k with added packages and features.

Got the car for $26k, $28.5k OTD (after TTL) + 2 years free oil changes. This does NOT include the $500 I got back from financing rebates / event cash ($1000 off). Did no trade-in, and put in roughly half in down payment. Financed the rest for 72 months.
    edited August 2012
    mrmillz , what was brad bensons doc fee's , and what other add ons were on the buyers order after agreed price ....... thanks ........... brian

• jtyler54jtyler54 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just bought a new 2013 gls Sonata with popular pkg, OTD = $20,600.
    Cost of car minus TTL and fees = $19365.
    Also came with mud guards, cargo net, cargo carpet mat, and carpet floor mats.
    I think I got a pretty good deal, thoughts?

I was offered $19900 OTD for a GLS with out the popular PKG, but I thought it was worth it to add for extra $700 bucks.
  • sonatalimitedsonatalimited Member Posts: 1
    Hello ppl,
    Here is an interesting story.
    Elgin Hyundai gave me a quote for Sonata 2013 Limited(NO NAV)(Black exterior/Black interior) for 22,382(sale price including incentives=500(HMF)+500(sonata cash)). I liked the deal and called back the next day to see if I can give a deposit to hold the car. They said they don't put hold..Weird !
    Next, I said I would drive 2 hrs on that day or the next day to buy the car. Then she says that they WILL NOT HONOR the quote. The internet sales manager and the manager, both keep saying this car is rare and crap and now it is 24,268...I can't believe she also said that its 24,268 ONLY for that color and 22,382 for other colors...STAY AWAY FROM ELGIN HYUNDAI.. THEY DONT HONOR THEIR OWN QUOTE. FORGET ABOUT HONORING OTHERS' QUOTE. This isn't a rant. Just to let you ppl know of them so that you can be careful.
  • miamiofohmiamiofoh Member Posts: 1
    So after spending way too much time reading this blog, doing research using Edmunds/KBB/NADA/TrueCar, and going back and forth and back and forth over used versus new, my husband and I decided to buy new. Then the quest was on to get quotes from dealers. Here's the e-mail I sent at 4 yesterday morning to every dealer within 150 miles of me that had a '13 Limited without Nav in stock:

Good Morning Hyundai Dealers,

If you are receiving this e-mail you have (according to your website) at least one 2013 Sonata Limited 2.4L (NO premium package) that I am interested in purchasing by the close of business today, 30 August. I am willing to lay all my cards out on the table (as detailed below) and whichever dealership gets back to me with the best deal by 2PM today gets my business/maintenance loyalty/referrals.

I am an active duty military officer whose state of residence is New Mexico. I am currently stationed at WPAFB in Dayton, OH. I will be registering my vehicle with NM tags and have all the pertinent forms necessary to title a car in New Mexico. I have received written confirmation that the registration can be done through the mail and I have the address to send all the paperwork to.

I have already qualified for great financing through USAA, but would rather take advantage of HMF's current financing promotion. Please contact me for my SSN so that you may run my credit report to qualify me for HMF financing. I know my auto-enhanced FICO scores as of the 26th and am confident they are more than enough to qualify for HMF financing.

I will not be trading in a vehicle.

Please send me your best OTD price quote with breakdown as follows (price quotes without the following breakdown will be ignored):
    Car price (including $775 destination charge): $
    Doc fee: $
    Other dealer fees: $ (Please list the specific service I'm getting for these "other" fees)
    Rebates/Promotions: $ -2400 (I qualify for the following offers: $500 military, $400 grad, $500 road trip cash,
    $500 down payment matching through Motozuma.com, $500 HMF bonus cash)
    Down Payment: $ -500
    Sales tax (3% NM state excise tax): $
    NM Registration: $ 75
    Total amount to be financed: $
    Amount of loan interest: $
    Add back in down payment: $ 500
    Total OTD cost: $ Absolutely no more than $25000, if you send me an OTD offer for $24000 or under I will accept it immediately

I don't need any factory installed options, but feel free to include them if absolutely necessary.

Also, I really am a nice, happy, easy going person. I'm just fed up with how I've been treated at some dealerships, so I'm trying this form of communication to cut through the "bad cop salesperson/good cop sales supervisor" mumbo jumbo. If you can't give me the deal I need (total OTD cost under $25K, preferably $24K) then tell me to pound sand, don't sugar coat it and try to get me on your sales lot just to jack up the price when I get there.

Thank-you for any honest effort you put into replying to my request.

I received two price breakdowns, one from Glenn Hyundai in KY with a car price (including destination charge) of $25560 (OVER invoice, not gonna take that deal regardless of rebates, etc.) The second quote came from Hatfield Hyundai in Columbus. Their car price was $24837, better, but not good enough to entice me to buy. I had contacted a few other dealers (Ricart in Columbus, Voss in Dayton, Gerald Hyundai in Illinois, Superior Hyundai North in Cinci) earlier this week and still had a car price (before rebates, etc.) quote from Superior North for $24550. I thought I could do better than this, but it's the best I've gotten so far and it meets my criteria of OTD under $24K after rebates, so I want to know what y'all think of the following breakdown:

Good deal on a 2013 Sonata Limited 2.4L??:

Loan Term (mos): 48
    APR: 1.90%
    Car Price (w/ destination charge of $775): $24510
    Documentation Fee: 250
    Other Fees: 0
    Incentives: -2400
    Down Payment: -500
    Subtotal: 21860
    Sales tax (NM 3%): 655.80 (we New Mexicans are lucky that sales tax is figured after all down payments, trade-ins, and incentives are taken off the price!)
    Amt to be financed: 22590.80
    Amt of interest: 887.19
    Add back down pmt: 500
    Total (OTD paid for car price incl interest): 23977.99

Total Loan Amt: 23477.99
    Monthly Payment: 489.12

I sent an e-mail to Superior North a couple hours ago and asked them to come down $41 from $24550 to $24509 for the invoice price of the cargo net (an option I really don't want/need). Removing $41 from the price got me below my magic $24k OTD threshold I was looking to beat. My hubby and I are driving down there tomorrow morning, so what do you guys think? If I can get this, it's a good deal, right?

I have a sneaking suspicion the incentives will be better next month, but I couldn't find any info out there on the internet. I did find a great site: http://www.realcartips.com/ that has hidden dealer incentives and some of next month's rebates/deals listed, but none for the Sonata other than what their lease deals are gonna be. *Fingers crossed*

Also, I put a lot of work into making a nifty spreadsheet so all I have to do is enter the dealership quote (car price, fees, etc) and it calculates the OTD price breakdown for me for each possible financing option. I verified it against multiple "loan calculator" websites, so if you're interested in getting a copy of that feel free to message me.

Let me know what you think and have a good one!
  • piezonpiezon Member Posts: 23
    Holy Crap!! I'm totally exhausted (mentally & physically) after reading your
    write-up. FWIW, I recently purchased a 2013 Ltd with NAV, pano roof, back-up camera, floor mats,cargo mat & wheel locks for a sale price of $26,250 before incentives. Since the tech package listed for $2,900, I'd think a great sale price without that package should come in a little under $24,000. Your price of $24,510 might be a tad high but, with $2,400 in incentives and only a 3% sales tax, your bottom line looks pretty darn good to me.
    Good luck with your new car. It rides great and looks awesome. We love it as much as the Lexus we traded in.