Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Why did you buy GAP insurance? Do you really think you need it? Did the dealer force you or did you finance the car?

Just curious.
    Steve
  • leggyleggy Member Posts: 45
    I asked the dealer for it. GAP insruance is very important if you are financing the car. It covers the difference between what the insurance pays to your lender and how much you still owe the lender.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    I bought a 2012 SE Turbo last February. I purchased gap as well. Hyundai is building a better car, for sure...My Sonata has been fantastic...but depreciation remains a concern for me with Hyundai. So, between that and the financing it made for an easy decision

The gap program Im in pays 150% of the difference you stated. Ive bought a lot of cars, and when its cheap money to finance I put very little down. So in a few instances where thats been the case, its the only back end product Ive ever tacked on to a vehicle purchase.
    edited November 2012
    I dont bring the doc fee into the process. My offers are always OTD. How they work the numbers isnt a concern for me if its accepted. Now, there have been a few occasions where I kindly had to explain my definition of OTD after an intial offer didnt include the doc fee. Thats when I say "Do whatever is neccessary on the bill of sale, but my accepted OTD offer is what needs to be on the retail sales contract."

Its never been an issue.
    Between my own experiences and having several friends that are well seasoned in the business, "Springing the trade" doesnt offer an advantage to the buyer. Keep the numbers separate to avoid confusion.

This is very curious...Youre not being honest- so how does that strategy put you on the fast track for the best possible trade value??

BTW- Wouldnt you agree its a bit hypocritical to play the " Lack of dealer trust" card when youre not being upfront with your true intentions concerning a trade?
    Absolutely not !

They are 2 separate transactions and I want to know what I paying for the new car independent of the trade in price. I fully realize that if I push for a very good deal on the new car I may not get such a good deal on the trade. In that case I sell my old car privately.

Some people look at OTD and what they pay out of pocket at the end of the day. Personally I don't. I treat each transaction separate.

Steve
    edited November 2012
    Thats why I said keep the numbers separate. That can be accomplished without employing your strategy.

Dont take this the wrong way, but to not trust when youre not honest in the first place is curious behavior.

A trade is worth what its worth. Thats what Ive learned through my own experiences combined with whats been shared with me among those I know in the business. I dont agree with your strategy at all, but you seem to get the desired results... so Im not judging you.... Im just curious as to how its advantageous to not be upfront with them concerning a trade.

Im sure youll agree that there is no substitute for doing the proper homework, and Im very informed towards the many potential scenarios concerning offers on my trade. If I have a trade... we negotiate a figure. If its agreeable, its on to the new car price negotiations. Same research applies there as well. I know to the penny my payoff on any vehicle thats a potential trade. Now, I dont tell them what I owe if asked, because then the sales tactics shift towards one used on payment shoppers- which Im not. That in itself goes a long way towards a better deal.
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Member Posts: 32
    Thanks Steve. I really appreciate your prompt reply.

It appears that 2012 GLS is not available near my place. I am looking at 2013 GLS.

MSRP: $20,105
    Invoice: $20,105

I own a Hyundai ($500 discount). I am thinking to offer $18000 plus tax and other govt fees. Looking forward to avoid doc fee. Does this sound reasonable ?
    Is this a typo?
    MSRP and invoice are the same?
    Steve
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Member Posts: 32
    Sorry for the typo earlier. I really appreciate your prompt reply, Steve.

It appears that 2012 GLS is not available near my place. I am looking at 2013 GLS.

MSRP: $20,995

Here is my calculation:
    Dealer Holdback (-3%): -$603
    Manufacturer to Dealer Inc: -$2000 ($1500-$2000)
    Offer price: $17,502

I own a Hyundai ($500 discount) and I am graduate student too ($400 credit). If I take HMF, I am eligible for $1000 discount.

Does $2000 discount include all possible incentives (student, loyal customer, veteran, manufacturer to dealer inc, etc.,) except HMF finance discount ?

TIA.
    Hi,
    Yes, the $2000 is the total of all incentives I know about for the Hyundai Sonata. Its good that you qualify for many of them.

They may insist that in order to get the $1000 HMF discount you may need to finance at least some amount. In my case, I wanted to pay cash for the whole purchase, but finally agreed to finance the minimum, which was $6000. I later paid it in full before the first payment was due. It seems that the finance company pays the dealer something just to get a loan customer regardless of when its paid off. So this is another revenue source for the dealer.

I would offer a nice round number, say $17,600. I'm sure they will have to get the sales manager involved. Also, insist on no doc fee. If they say that you have to pay it then you insist on lowering the $17,600 price accordingly and tell them its a deal breaker and that you will go to another dealer who will meet you $17,600 all-inclusive price. Of course there is additional state tax and other fees which are standard among all dealers in a given state.

Don't tell them how you arrived at the $17,600 price. I would just say that "this is what I am going to pay. Do you really want to earn my business?"

Good luck. Let us know what happens. It should be interesting.

My only concern is that with a vehicle with not many options and a low price point, there isn't much margin for the dealer. So they may push back. With a $30,000 or $40,000 car, the dealer may have more wiggle room.

Steve
  • ms_mms_m Member Posts: 1
    I haven't "shopped" around for a car in 10 years but I felt that it was time to put my car [Annie Mae] to rest. The information and suggestions provided on this forum have been GREAT!!! I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to try [or present] some of the suggested methods...but I must say that IT WORKS!!! Pushing the calculation limits, I made an initial offer of $24,500 (no doc fees) with pick up by COB today. As a result of the counter offer...this evening, I will be the owner of a 2013 Sonata Limited with the Premium Package [yeah for navigation and panoramic sunroof!!!], mud guards [personal pref that I wanted] and some other extras for $24,800 (NO DOC FEES PLUS TAX). The counter was $26800 - $1000 for HMF - $1000 in additional rebates which brought the total to $24,800!!! I am on Cloud 18!!! :shades:
    Excellent !!
    Glad to help.
    This is awesome.
    Congrats. Enjoy.

Steve
  • scop716scop716 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just left the dealers, I signed a few papers but its not in steel yet. I have some questions. I know I was taken advantage of. I wanted the tech package with the nav, backup cam, all the good stuff. Didn't get the turbo tho. I think the price was around 26,000. I plan on putting $1,000 down. He said my payments would be $329 a month. I feel like I'm getting ripped off, there are sooo many deals w Sonata's right now. I think they took advantage cuz I'm a young girl with no clue about sonatas cuz I was originally wanting an elantra.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Are you leasing? Because that payment seems way too low for a purchase...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• benrey23benrey23 Member Posts: 42
    I see your type all the time. Depending on the car and its availability and demand for it, will determine if I even take your offer to the manager. I have never and I repeat never, gave up holdback which can be anywhere from 200 and up depending on the price of the car. I have sold many at preferred pricing (GM) then minus rebates but never minus holdback. The only time I have seen us do it was on a 430 day old Corvette and we gave up 50% of holdback. We sell plenty of new cars and have no problem saying NO. I hear about kickbacks as reason to lose money on a deal. Kickbacks are given if you meet requirements on CSI, units sold, ect. If you are one away maybe, if not there is no benefit selling a car to someone who is taking it to another dealership for service. We get a $100 fine for a survey that is not COMPLETELY SATISFIED. My experience is customers like yourself hit you hard on the survey, you dont get referrals and repeat deals. Not worth it at all.

Oh, I understand why you think all sales reps lie but as a hole that is not true. I imagine you tell yourself that as a way to make yourself feel better about lieing to the sales rep. This is about CUSTOMER SERVICE and customer service has never been about money. It is how well you treat your customer, take care of them before, during, and after the sale. Those who pay more get there moneys worth, those who do not will get there moneys worth as well in the form of, TAKE A NUMBER!!!!
    Why do you keep posting the same message? You posted almost the same thing about 2 weeks ago.

In the meantime I and others on this forum helped people save thousands of dollars.

Is your intention for being on this forum to mislead people to pay more ?

Consider the recent poster who purchased a fairly loaded Sonata Limited for less than $25,000. This is probably a $30,000+ MSRP vehicle.
    This person is very happy to benefit from tips on this forum. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

I stand by my earlier opinion, even stronger now. Never trust a car salesman.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Steve
  • scop716scop716 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I am 48 months
  • wy2103wy2103 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for everyone's input and advice on this forum (especially from Steve). This was my very first car shopping experience and before I went shopping I really dreaded it (I drove a 94 Camry that my family's had for 19 years into the ground just to avoid going car shopping). But because of the tips I found on here, the process went better than expected.

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE
    MSRP: $24,410
    Invoice: $23,339
    My price before tax: $20,840 (This included $1000 rebate for HMF. I financed $7500 and paid it all off before first payment was due.)

My cost included the title and registration fees ($296) so I paid my state's sales tax of 7% on top. My OTD price was $22,300.

Per the advice that I found here, I avoided extra fees (window etching and doc) by saying verbatim, "it's a deal breaker."

Happy shopping everyone! :D
    Great news. Glad we were able to help you get a great deal.
    And with no doc fee, thats even better.

Enjoy the ride.
    Congrats
    Steve
  • priapusgodpriapusgod Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steve, Thanks for all the information your are providing, I am learning a lot from this forum. A couple of questions. Do you include the destination/freight charge in the invoice? You subtract the holdback and all the incentives from the invoice, anything else? And then add the tax and license fee, is that correct to get the OTD price. Thanks again.
    Hi,
    Yes, I include the destination/freight charge in the invoice price. You can't negotiate that since that's what the manufacturer/shipper charges the dealer on every vehicle.

Nope, that's it.

Glad this is helpful.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • db07db07 Member Posts: 3
    I'm on the market for a 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited with navigatation and moonroof. I've been offered 29350 OTD. It sounds a litte high to me, just would like to know, what would be a relastic number to not be ripped off.
    I'm new on this forum and appreciate all the help i can get.
    Thx
    Hi,
    Not knowing what state you are in, we can't help you with OTD. Focus on MSRP, invoice, holdback, and pre-tax pricing, etc.

Read other articles in this thread explaining negotiating tips.
    Good luck
    Steve
    Forgot to mention, I'm in Illinois. The dealer already know, that i'm a tough buyer. To be honest i dont care how they come up with the number as long as i like it. Alreday told them that 29350 OTD not gonna fly.

I think i will offer them 27750 OTD take it or leave it. I can walk away as i did last year, and they are aware of that
  • edmundsalexedmundsalex Member Posts: 2
    I just got this exact car yesterday in Alexandria, Va (outside of Wash DC) for OTD $27,700 - provided I did the 2.9% financing through Hyundai at 5 years. (could have done the 48months at 1.9%.). To restate, I got the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T with panoramic sunroof and Navigation. Hope this helps.
  • edmundsalexedmundsalex Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention that I qualified for one rebate as a current Hyundai owner as well (Hyundai Tucson '06).
    Keep in mind, you can pay off that "forced" finance as soon as you want. They forced us to take a loan as well, but we paid it off in a matter of days. That way we get the $1000 financing rebate/incentive, but still do a virtually all cash deal.
    Steve
  • michellej87michellej87 Member Posts: 28
    I am new to the forum and the whole car buying experience.
    I am looking to buy my first car.
    I graduated 2 years ago so I will not get the new graduate credit. I do not own Hyundai so I will not qualify for that credit as well.
    I want to make offers to dealerships this weekend and close the deal by Christmas.

I have couple of questions.
    Will dealerships have Christmas specials or incentives to meet yearly goals at end of December? Should I wait for last week of December?

I was also told if I go into dealership on a day when no one is around (snow storm or other holidays when people are unlikely to visit) I am more likely to get a better deal. Is that correct? Should I try to go in on a weekday or a less crowded day?

Could you guys tell me if the following offer is reasonable for GLS with Pop?
    Should I offer 19000 before taxes?

Invoice: $21540
    Holdback (-3%): -646
    Rebates: -$2000
    Offer price: 18893

Description Invoice MSRP
    Base Price $20,105 $20,995
    Midnight Black $0 $0
    PEP $660 $725
    Destination Fee $775 $775

Total Price $21,540 $22,495
    Yes $19000 is exactly what you should off. The only addition amounts are state taxes, no dealer documentation fees.

Don't explain how you arrived at that price and don't get into the legacy or student discount stuff. They may want you to finance a minimum amount in order to get to this low price. If so, I suggest agreeing but pay it off within days unless, of course, you want a loan.

With these numbers I doubt if Christmas sales will make a difference price wise. The closer to end of month the better.

Tell them you will call other dealers. I would do the negotiating on the phone. Less pressure and stress for you.

Good luck
    Steve
  • michellej87michellej87 Member Posts: 28
    Thank you very much.

I have some money saved up but it might be good for my credit history to take a loan and pay it off.
  • baraan12baraan12 Member Posts: 1
    First off, this forum was great help in understanding and going through the negotiation of a new car buying. I just concluded a deal on Sonata limited (Base) w/o any packages but with all weather mats/cargo mats for $22,500.00 OTD.
    Dealer has following listed on their website:
    MSRP:$26,915
    Mfg Invoice Price:$25,383
    Dealer online Price: $21,245
    My sale price was :$20,900 + T&T (approx)
    Dealer was adamant at $22.944.00 OTD price, however was able to negotiate to this price. This is the best deal one can get in DC metro area.
    I will be going to pick the car up in next couple of hours. Let you know how the deal go.
    Thx,
    baraan12
    Make sure they don't make you pay documentation fees which could be $400+. I would tell them that its a deal breaker. Maybe call before you go so you're not surprised.

Steve
  • pooperscooperpooperscooper Member Posts: 4
    In NC, I am seeing mid 17's for gls and around 21000 for limiteds. I've seen Limited models with tech going for as little as 23700. These mind you, are the internet posted prices. Do a cars.com search with a wide radius. I've found truecar to be super high for this model.
  • nassaujurnassaujur Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    21K for limiteds? That's an unbelievable price. Please keep us posted on what you actually end up paying.
  • passionapassiona Member Posts: 3
    That is a great price and great job. 22.34% off MSRP is very low.
  • phantom17phantom17 Member Posts: 1
    29845 MSRP Hyundai Sonata Limited with Limited NAV Package and misc options
    27843 Invoice (Including Destination)
    - 835 Dealer Holdback
    -2000 Rebate

I Offered 24900 +Tax/Tags. They agreed but with HMF financing for 1500 of the 2000 rebate.

Did I do it correctly?

Also I would like to thank everyone on the board.....very informative and extremely helpful.
    thx edmundsalex. It helps a lot, at least I know where I am with my prince range. i will keep you posted how the negotiations went.

Thanks a lot again.
  • caltexan1caltexan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Negociated a lease deal last night in Los Angeles. Haven't signed anything. Tier 1 credit. $26,490 for the car, 1000 down, taxes 8,75%, processing fee $80 and DMV Tags/Fees 312

Monthly payment $369.91 36 months, 12000 miles

Is this a good deal, great deal or can I do better?

Thank you!
  • shekonnjshekonnj Member Posts: 1
    to - caltexan1

do NOT take that deal !

For the monthly lease on your Sonata ($375)a month I got a 2013 Infiniti G37x with premium and Nav package tax included!

12k miles, 7% NJ tax and $1500 down on 36 month lase

Why are you paying $370 a month on Korean over styled copy of god knows what when for same price you can lease a Infiniti G37x ?

I am no ways putting down the Hyundai but Sonata vs G37 is no brainer.

The G37 is rear wheeled based and drives mush much better than FWD cars like Sonata.

Also the service is excellent - Infiniti is a ([non-permissible content removed]) luxury brand.

Forget the Sonata - check out the G37.One of the best lease deal out there now
  • heliosshelioss Member Posts: 5
    In what area of NC and which dealer(s) have Sonata Limited in the $ 21000 OTD range? I am looking to get one in a month or so.
  • pooperscooperpooperscooper Member Posts: 4
    Check out Bob Mayberry in Monroe or Modern in Concord.

I just completed a gls purchase for 17,200 plus ttt. It includes premium package plus spoiler, mats guards, cargo mat, etc. Sticker was 23085.

There was auto show cash of $500 included in deal.

The Limiteds at Bob Mayberry were 21250 before ttt.

I highly recommend Modern Hyundai of Concord. Absolutely no haggling to get that great price and wonderful people!
  • supaflixsupaflix Member Posts: 2
    Wow..Feasible to get Hyundai Limited with Premium package for ~ 24000 ? Great deal
  • thetripleithetriplei Member Posts: 7
    Hey all, I followed all the advice from the forum and was feeling great about the results I was able to achieve. Had two dealers agree to my offer on a lease of a GLS with Popular Equipment Package which would have been based on a selling price of $18750 with only taxes and dmv. Was sure I got all the details worked out in the emails and made sure there would be no surprises. As it was the last day of the month and I was running out of time to make a deal, I didn't want to miss losing out on all the incentives that were in place for the month not knowing what's in store for next month, so I went to one of the dealerships. The mistake I know I made was not getting a full offer, rather being what I thought was perfectly clear in my questions of them and firm intentions. While there wasn't anything too absurd tacked on, it wasn't without any hitches. They added in the bank fee as additional, which I was not pleased with at all, but after walking out on the deal, I know they're not willing to drop that. I was still quite pleased with the deal even considering that, but when they told me all that added would equate to $2k out of pocket, something just didn't add up. You only pay taxes on the portion of the car you're using in payments and even with a $595 bank fee, that just doesn't add up at all. They were insisting on a dealer prep fee as well.

Not sure if I'll have any luck getting this great deal (without their attempted add-ons) again now that it's a new month, but as I'm new to all of this nonsense, are there any fees, like a dealer prep fee for example, that are really unavoidable and automatic for any car purchase? Certainly this can't be the case based off everything everyone has been saying in here. Where did I go wrong? Can this deal be salvaged? I don't want to go through all those games and nonsense again, I just want the deal I thought I had haha.

Also, does anyone happen to know how to find out what equity I have in my current car lease? I was hoping for it to at least end up covering some of the fee, but they claim there is no equity, but if I wanted to just turn it in, they'd take it. Something seemed a bit off with that too, but I'm no expert with that. Please help.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    wow,6 grand off the msrp is pretty good,was there any rebates involved??
  • ruthg3ruthg3 Member Posts: 20
    Just leased a 2013 Sonata Ltd 2013 and want to know if I could do even better. Another family lead is due in Dec and they want me to do the same deal.
    MSRP. $26,910
    Cap cost $22,200
    Did sign & drive including everything -7% tax, all fees, title etc got
    $290 per month. (35 months)
    Any input appreciated so I know this the best to expect or if I do it differently next time.
    Thank you!
    P.S. What would the residual & money factor be for Dec 12,000 miles? Same incentives? Thx!
  • heliosshelioss Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I'll contact Bob Mayberry and see what their deals are.
  • lucas999lucas999 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Bought sonata gls, pref package,mats,spoiler and home link

$23145 msrp

$21045, less$2500 rebates

$18545 plus ttl

Plus, at no cost $300 free oil change and car washes and $455 pin striping and door guards

Don't know if this good, average or bad???
  • cowboy4570cowboy4570 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum and hoping to find some help in my car buying. I am in Seattle Wa and looking to buy a new or used 2011 - 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with the ultimate package upgrade including the navigation/leather/back up cam/double sunroof. It seems there are very few local used 2011-2022 cars like this on the market yet so i have been looking mostly at new cars. It looks like msrp is running around $32450 for the 2012 new cars. I have never bought a new car before but have heard to shoot for 20% off msrp including all fees (except state sales tax and license fee). That puts my offer at $25960 Ltd I believe. Does that seem like reasonable pricing to be able to expect with a bit of work or am I way off basis? Does it matter to the dealer what incentives I qualify for or is it just a number game? Not military but graduated with a MBA this year if that counts for the $400 grad discount. I was planning on a cash deal but from reading on this forum it sounds like the dealer may wanna sign a loan for the price discount even if I pay it off this month? Do i need to wait until the end of this month for dealers to give better deals? Do i need to wait until the 2013 hybrid is released to get a better deal? I appreciate any thoughts recommendations and feedback you might have. THANKS!
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    $4500.00 off the msrp plus the other stuff that was thrown in i would say you made out pretty good.