Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Oldsmobile
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Aurora!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Hope everyone will enjoy this Club. I emailed Pat and asked her to start one for us aROARians. I think it only fair that mine be the first meet the members posting.

Welcome
    My baby: 1995 Aurora Classic - Champaign & Authobahn
  • shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    I had also requested an owner's club so that it would be easier to sift through problem histories, experiences and what not. This will be a great tool for us.

My "baby" (who acts like on from time to time):
    1998 Aurora - Black / Black autobahn
    Soon to include the Shuck/Bose stereo option.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Hi all,

I was pleased to find such an active discussion group. It's been a real help for a "newbie" Aurora owner such as myself.
    The new club should be even better!

Jim C - New Hampshire
    1995 Autobahn
    Red on Tan
    "Red" = either "Dark Cherry" or "Medium Garnet" (I'll have to look up the paint code.)
  • rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    The Aurora board at Edmunds Town Hall really helped me in the spring to decide to get the Aurora. I owe a belated "Thank you" to all who contributed to that board for the last 6 months. I'm still tickled with the car. My jaws are sore from grinning so much.

3.5 V6 Silver with Bose, sunroof, and chrome mags (that's rims for all you young whippersnappers.)
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hi folks, I'm Robert Hammen, from Waukesha (Milwaukee), Wisconsin, and I've been an Aurora addict since April 4. I, too, credit the folks on this board with helping me formulate my addiction. I loved the look of the Aurora from the minute I saw it back in 1994, but, despite being a well-paid computer geek, could never afford it until I stumbled across my Black Beauty (a '98 w/all options) back in March (see <http://www.hammen.net/car> - still can't believe I got her, with only 27k mi on her, for $17k, after she sat on the dealer's lot for 9 months).

My mother-in-law used to work at the Lake Orion, MI plant that built the Auroras (she works in Janesville, WI, now, building Tahoes and Yukons), and she's on her second (she had a black '95, which she traded in on an SUV, and instantly regretted that. It took her only 6 months and a huge financial hit to come back to a pearl white '98 w/everything but Autobahn)...

--Robert
  • ashaman1973ashaman1973 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Aurora 2 weeks ago. Never thought I'd be able to get one, but it was a steal at $19,400. The salesman asked my why I was trading a 2000 Buick Regal for a 1999 car. He just didn't understand.
    How many people are not that impressed with the redesign of the Aurora? I parked mine next to a 2001 model and it was obvious which was more eye-catching.
    Look forward to chatting with everyone here

1999 Aurora - Black/Tan
  • drew43drew43 Member Posts: 18
    Hello everyone,
    Was very happy to find this site!I've had my 95'aurora for 2 years now.While I love the car,she can be shall we say,TEMPERMENTAL from time to time.It will be great to compare notes with other aurora owners

1995 aurora light blue.sometimes looks silver,others have called it TEAL.I'LL HAVE TO CHECK THE PAINT CODE TOO!
  • iahmatthewiahmatthew Member Posts: 7
    Hello -

I live in Houston, TX - So I enjoy the speed.

I have a 97 Champaign and Tan Aurora.

Hopefully this forum will be a tool to eliminate high cost analysis from the dealer when others have already experienced some of the same issues.

Best of luck and nice to meet you all.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Greetings from Freehold, NJ. And thanks to everyone who had a hand in getting this started.

I bought my black 1997 exactly two years ago at 37,000 miles; it has the light gray interior and sunroof -- no other factory options. It is my eighth Oldsmobile, out of 14 total vehicles (not counting motorcycles) owned in 38 years of driving.

Modifications include addition of a Valentine 1 radar locator and K&N air filter element, removal of front and rear logo and script, and blacking out the silver trim around the side windows. The exterior is now truly monochrome black except for the stock wheels.

My interests lean toward performance and safety improvements (handling, braking, acceleration). I have enjoyed participating in the Edmunds Town Hall immensely and hope this owners' club is as successful. I really appreciate the positive, helpful, and informative posts.

One last thing -- I am a member (since 1971) of the Oldsmobile Club of America. Members of the club fall into two main categories (my view): (1) restoration of old Oldsmobiles and (2) 1960s and 1970s performance and muscle cars. If anyone is interested to learn more about OCA, reply to this message or contact me separately at lester.young@worldnet.att.net. My agenda is to get more Aurora owners into OCA. At last year's national meet in Parsippany, NJ, three out of 400+ show cars were Auroras. This year in Denver, CO, about five out of 442 show cars were Auroras.
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Hey all, not an Aurora owner but I am an Oldsmobile owner(2001 Intrigue) and I do really like the Aurora though. Also like discussion of Oldsmobiles as I have always liked them. I'm 26 so I haven't owned alot of cars, but the Intrigue is my 3rd Olds and first brand new one. My first car was an 82 Cutlass and I later had an 89 Touring Sedan which was a hand me down from my father. The T-sedan was a very nice car. I think it was actually nicer than most Cadillacs were at that time. I really wanted a 98 or 99 low mileage Aurora, but could not find one with the options or color combo I wanted so I went with a completely loaded brand new Intrigue GLS.

black97aurora. Regarding the Olds club of America. Are there many current Olds owners as members? I particularly like the Intrigue and Aurora and also the late 80s Touring Sedans and Toronados. Just wondering if there were many members there who like to discuss or have knowledge of those models.
  • vwbus1979vwbus1979 Member Posts: 42
    Hey folks! Van Man here to speak the truth about the Aurora from Portland, OR.

I've owned 35+ (Now I forget) cars in my 30 years here on the planet. Not much has changed over the years, but the Aurora is different. It is not built from the same standards as modern day cars. The design, engineering and very thought of this car is complete, from bumper to bumper.

As long as my '97 Black/Black gold edition is still running and able, I will NEVER EVER get rid of it. I've never said that about a car before.

This forum is dedicated to those who look for answers to their complicated Aurora problems. Zinc and I hold the record for the longest in-service contracts! (6 weeks each) Many thanks to Edmunds (Pat) for letting us post, because without this service, I would be a lost Aurora owner for SURE!

The Van Man has spoken.
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    I live in Wichita, KS.

I have a '95 and a '97 Aurora. Both have autobahn, sunroof and all the other extras. They are the greatest cars I have driven in many years.

I have enjoyed the chat room column. It gives me a lot of knowledge and problems to look for. I just got the extended warranty for the '95 from warrantybynet.com that I found in the chat talks. My current extended warranty expires in a couple of months.

Keep up the good work.
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Hi there!

As some may know, I am a lurker and occassion poster on the Aurora thread.

I bought a sweet White 98 from a dealer in Vegas off of Ebay. I had been looking at 300Ms and what not, but the Olds just had everything I wanted in spades. The V8 is not match for a Mopar 6.

Wish all happy motoring in their real or vitual Aurora!
  • gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    My name is Greg Isom from Chicago. I have a 95 champaign with the autobahn, sunroof, and the heated seats. This car no doubt turns heads. I have learned from our fellow aurorians a lot of things about the aurora. This is no doubt the best car I have owned.
  • taylorb27614taylorb27614 Member Posts: 15
    This site gave me all the info I needed to help in the decision the buy a 98 Diamond white on beige,Autobaun, sunroof, Bose, chrome wheels, 32K miles. After 8 months I couldn't be more pleased with the car plus I found a good Caddy/Olds dealer that has helped with some minor stuff. Looking into extended warranty from Warranty Direct. Would love to hear experiences from others having this plan.
  • tipsicobobtipsicobob Member Posts: 29
    Have had my 2001 4.0 for exactly one year know (white diamond) and it is one of the few cars which I like better over time. I only have 10k miles on it since it is not my main transportation car. I have had numerous small warrany issues which have all been fixed promptly.It has all options except for engine block heater an I purchased it through the gm employee plan. I use the onstar system routinely and am usually impressed. I also use the hands free phone option a lot. I added the rear spoiler from sportswing.com and it totally changes the appearance of the car. It is a high quality unit which is easy to install. My fuel mileage is somewhat disappointing (about 20mpg overall) and much less than my ParkAvenue at 27mpg overall.True, the performance is greater, but on the highway at a steady cruise, efficiency is efficiency no matter what the horsepower. It has burned a quart of oil between the first change and I now use Mobile 1. This appears normal for this engine, but these days it is not expected.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    c.c. from ft. laud., fla. bought my 97 in feb. 2000 with 337600 miles. bought extended from warranty gold in aug. 2000. no problems with them so far. currently have 73200 miles. btw, paid $15995. great car, hope to keep it until it's a classic. i use it everyday to and from work, 54 miles round trip.
  • dishwishdishwish Member Posts: 11
    Hello from Dave in North Dakota. Purchased 98 Aurora (Arctic White), with sunroof, autobahn, heated seats. I fell in love with the Aurora, back in 95 when it was introduced. Knew I would have to wait until they started to hit the used car lots. My wife and I spotted this one on the lot, and bought it the next day. This is the best looking car I have owned. Better yet, it is American made.
  • roc88ket88roc88ket88 Member Posts: 5
    Just jumped in to say hello from NJ. I've owned this car since early April and absolutely love it. I have every option but the pearl paint and paid $100 under dealer cost (tissue). I also own a '53 Olds 88.

It's a shame Olds is going down but even that couldn't stop me from buying the car. When compared to similar cars, it was impossible to match the financing, warranty and value.

I plan on stealing the car away from the wife and kids before they destroy it and on keeping it forever. Based upon some of the posts herein, I hope this comes true.

I had one minor problem with the engine surging at idle that was fixed easily. Dealer had to perform a relearn on the crank sensor and reprogram the pcm. Runs like a top with much more power since then.

Hope others buy this great car.
  • dwbeachdwbeach Member Posts: 7
    Ordered my 2001 Aurora in August 2001, and picked it up in January 2002. Has been an excellent vehicle. Really impressed with the highway mpg. The 4.0 is a much improved motor over my previous Oldsmobile. Although, I still miss my Toranado. This is my 15th Oldsmobile.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I ordered my 2002 Aurora in September 2001 and it was ready by October 2001. Why would your 2001 take until January 2002? I believe they stopped production of 2001's in April 2001.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The actual changeover from 2001 to 2002 production for the Aurora occurred in early July 2001. I think that dwbeach may be dealing with a speacial program that provided deserving shoppers a way to order (through a dealer search) used or previous model year new cars at a special price.
  • dwbeachdwbeach Member Posts: 7
    Ordered the Aurora while I was overseas. Did not get back to the USA until January 2002. Not sure when it was actually built. I should have specified that I took delivery in 2002. Hopefully, my Aurora was somewhere safe being stored.
  • marc47marc47 Member Posts: 2
    I am Marc from Southeast New York State and I own
    a 2001 Aurora 4.0 which I bought in December of
    2000. I am so pleased with this car that I cannot
    find the words to express that fact. Just for
    starters, the Aurora turned out to be a much more
    powerful runner than I had expected. It feels as
    good in acceleration as my former car...a 1972
    Cutlass 442 with a W-25 455! And the Aurora gets
    well over twice the gas mileage of the old muscle-
    car.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • carlo8carlo8 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2001 V6, 18,000 miles, three weeks ago. Sage green, I didn&#146;t want the V8, what was I thinking? The V6 is really enough power though, and I'll be less likely to pile up speeding tickets in it (I hope). I can't believe the difference from my 89 Buick Century that I thought was luxury when I bought it. The car is so quiet and smooth at speed that I have to fight the urge to keep going faster, and I can't wait to get some time on a twisty road. On the downside, a couple of glitches I didn't notice on the test drive; Water gets into the spare tire well when it rains, and worse the buttons for the memory seat (another cool feature) change the radio band from AM to FM to CD, and sometimes changes A/C settings also. Pretty weird, I hope the Dealer doesn't make it worse. Good to read all the notes on the main board, Thanks for all the good info, I'll post on the main board when I get the seat thing solved.
    THANKS again Carl C. Alameda
    The memory buttons hold separate radio settings in addition to separate seat and mirror positions. If you have the radio on one way as driver 1, and another way as driver 2, it will switch back and forth as you press the 1 and 2 memory buttons. If that is what you are experiencing, then it isn't a glitch. If that isn't what you are experiencing, then it's time to see the dealer.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Hello to all, new here since I bought a 1999 Olds Aurora in Jet Black, Totalled my 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue in an accident, which it was not my fault, I wasn't even inside of the car, oh-well. I'm loving my Aurora, all ready made some changes on it, and still looking to modify it some more. I got some questions about stock and aftermarket radios, so I'll keep checking other boards. Peace.
  • carlo8carlo8 Member Posts: 5
  • auroralauraauroralaura Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a '99 Diamond White Aurora with chrome wheels. It's always been my policy to purchase slightly used cars, as I love to take advantage of the depreciation factor. On my first day out looking, I stumbled upon this beauty at my local Caddy dealer. The only way I could describe the test drive was like being on a "fast cloud". The price was more than I had planned to spend, so I bid the dealer good-bye and went on my way. The next day, I drove a '99 300M (another beauty, in my opinion). My husband and the salesman thought I was crazy when I announced that the ride was "bumpy" and "I'm hearing a lot or road noise". It then occurred to me that I had set the bar high by driving the Aurora first. Needless to say, we bought the Aurora the next day. The best part of the story? It only had 7,090 miles on the odometer! How could I not buy it? I know I made the right decision and I look forward to being a member of the club.
    Welcome! Congrats on your new purchase. That's some low mileage for a '99. My '02 has almost that many...
    Hello Auroralaura, That Aurora with 7,000 miles that's not bad at all for a 1999. I also was looking at the 300M's but the Auroras had my vote since first introduced in 1995, I now own a 1999 Jet Black Aurora. Great choice you made, you can go wrong with your pearl white Aurora.
  • jwadlejwadle Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

This is Jim from CT. I have a Stone Beige Metallic (silverish gold) 97 Aurora with Autobahn. I bought it in Dec of 2000 with 47,000 miles on it, and today (April 5th) it just hit 74,000.. I only work 7 miles away from work, I just love to drive. I have had some issues with he car, like Leaky rack and pinion, noisy belt tensioner, struts, bla bl bla... Lots of money in the past year, but I love the car. Its great that more and more "tinkerers" are getting the Aurora and trying new things
  • dmndwhitedreamdmndwhitedream Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! I am so happy to see all of these proud Aurora owners! I have a 97's Diamond White with perhaps every option. I am going to customize it quite a bit. Maybe 20 inch wheels (not to look ghetto, but more to restore the car to its nice conceptual phase). I thought about shaving the handles. There are a ton of things. I am tired of writing them so I will just ramble about them when I make a web page this summer for all of us Aurorians. I will keep you posted!
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    I'm on my second Aurora. I purchased a '95 autobahn and drove it 160K miles before the tranny left me stranded. After purchasing a '98 Eldo ETC and driving it for 4 months, I traded the ETC in on a '98 Diamond White autobahn with 18K miles. There are few cars on the market that can combine luxury and speed as well as the Aurora.
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    dlcleav
    What part of Kansas are you from? I live in Wichita, KS and drive a '95 and a '97 both with autobahn. It's good to have another Kansan on board.
  • charlieauroracharlieaurora Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 1999 Aurora, 4.0 eng. white diamond in color and 45000 miles and I love the car. Traded in my 2001 Aurora for it because it rides better and has more personality.

I would like to know if anyone knows if it is ok to constantly drive with the transmission power button on all of the time.
    Did you take a hit when you traded? Did you have a 3.5 or 4.0 (the 2001)? The power button just tells the tranny to use a more aggresive shift mapping. It won't hurt anything. You might get a little worse fuel economy with it on though.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    cwiley1 -
    I live in Leavenworth. Just recently returned from 15years in Vermont. Working in KC area. Glad to be back and glad to be driving an Aurora again!!
    Welcome back fellow Aurorian.
  • carnut444carnut444 Member Posts: 27
    What you call the power button is what Oldsmobile calls "selectable shift". All it does is change the rpm shift points of the transmission. For instance, when in the normal position, the transaxle shifts at lower speeds. Doesn't harm anything in either position, just possible fuel mileage.
  • symi81symi81 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone, I have a black '02 4.0 that I got in september of 2001. Overall, I am happy with the car. I only have 2 gripes: 1) They should have boosted the power for the new generation to 300 or so. 2) I have noticed that the car, now almost 10 months old, has a few squeeks and rattles. Those are not acceptable.

I think its awsome that we have this board to share our thoughts and experiences on the Aurora. I've been searching the internet for months looking for info on the car we all love, and unfortunatly there is not much to read about. So that makes this forum that much more special!
  • leftyga1leftyga1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm Kent L from the Atlanta area and purchased a used Aurora w/ 83K miles two weeks ago. It's in near-perfect condition, Sandstone in color. Sorry to say I only paid $7,500 plus tax for it, which I thought was a steal. "Sorry" because it reflects the high depreciation this quality car has taken. Very pleased with everything (quiet, smooth, powerful, doo-dads everywhere). Only fault I can come up with is the tight headroom for us 6-foot plus drivers. The only thing I need to do is balance the wheels. They wobble slightly at 70mph. I have a sunroof, chrome wheels, etc. What is an "autobahn" that some owners mention?
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The Autobahn package is taller gearing (different shift points). Helps the Aurora get off the line a little quicker, though it gives back some of the gains in the 70-100 mph range (so I've read :-). Also affects gas mileage a little bit. You'll know if you have the Autobahn package if your car has V-rated tires (usually Michelin), and if you have option code QQX on the build sheet on the trunk.

Re: your 70 mph vibration, you need a special kind of balance, called a road force balance. This is done on a special machine, where they not only measure the round/high and low points of the wheels, but also the tires. They then try to match the high points of the tires to the low points of the wheels, and vice versa. The Aurora (and Riviera) are especially sensitive to this issue.

I was talking with a business associate who drives an older BMW, and he indicated he's got the same issues (has the same Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires I do on my Classic). His theory is the complex suspension on our luxury cars, with all of the rubber bushings, is more sensitive to harmonic-type vibrations (his are in the 50's, mine are 65-71 mph or so). Don't know how true that is, just thought I'd throw that out there for some discussion.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • bstracenbstracen Member Posts: 4
    Hello Karen- we purchased ours last nov and love it. 3.5 and has about 30k miles. Since you are the guru- are any suspension parts made by Defiance Metal? (local plant)
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    Hi. My name is David, and I live in a little town called Iberia, MO. I just bought my first Aurora a few weeks ago. I had seen these cars around, liked the styling and everything, but never payed much attention to them. Let me say this is a super nice automobile.
    My 96 has 76000 miles on it, bought it for $6500, which I thought was a heck of a buy. It books for over $9700. It was a new car trade in.
    It is a burgundy/purple color with beige interior. Options are moonroof, bose stereo. Wish it had autobaun package and chrome wheels, especially chrome wheels. Will probably invest in some aftermarket polished aluminums in future.
    Welcome to the boards there.

You can find out more about me at the link below.

Peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg

• garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Welcome. Sounds like a great car. I would not get to hung on the Autobahn package. It gives you a 3.71 transaxle, but the regular one is 3.48 which isn't that much different. For comparison, the STS has the same 3.71, but the SLS has a 3.11. That's more of a difference.

Two suggestions: 1 - buy an extended warranty. These cars are wonderful, but you can be broken by a repair or two. A lot of things on the Aurora are expensive to fix. 2 - if you really like chrome wheels, you can get a set of the chrome 17's that come on the new Aurora 4.0. Check out the photo gallery for a picture of my 98 with the 2001+ Aurora chrome alloy 17's. It's very cool. With Olds center caps it might be around $900 - tax and all. Don't get the wheels from a dealer - that would be $2,000. If you are interested, I know where you can get them.
  • 96rora96rora Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been reading your messages a while now and just wanted to let you all know that you've been a great help.
This discussion has been closed.