Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    1) Maintenance intensive... well, there are a number of common failure points on the car. Where to start? A/C compressor, leaking rear crankshaft seals, multifunction switch (headlamps flashing) - I've had all of these problems (about $3600 in repairs, covered by my extended warranty, thank god). '95's and '96's had tranny shift solenoid issues, some cars also have issues with the front wheel speed sensors/hubs. It is a luxury car that can have some expensive repairs. I knew that going in, bought the warranty, and have been happy with my car (91k miles and still going strong - had 27k on it when I bought it on April 4, 2001). Amazingly, it's had almost zero problems since I stopped taking it in to my Olds/GMC dealer after they said I needed a wheel hub and my steering box was leaking (took it to another dealer, who said everything was fine. Year later, no problems).

My mother-in-law also bought a '98 (September 2000) and an extended warranty. I think she's had $100 in claims in the 4+ years she's had the car. So, not all of them are bad.

2) Re: parts, I disagree somewhat with that statement. The Aurora is a "G" chassis, which was first used by the Aurora and Riviera, later by the Seville (STS/SLS), Park Avenue/LeSabre, and Bonneville. Lots of parts are common to the other cars on the platform. The Aurora 4.0 is another Northstar. I don't think there are part availability issues (my oil pressure sending unit's been sluggish, ordered the part from the local Buick dealer, had it in two days). There is always the junkyard (took this option to get a replacement power antenna when mine got stuck in the "up" position - Antenna V**gra, anyone?)

I would get the car inspected big-time. Make sure they check the rear crankshaft seals to see if it's leaking oil - if so, I'd stay away ($1800+ repair, engine and tranny have to be dropped and the engine split and resealed to effect the repair). If there is any way you can get a service history, that would help, too.

You have to decide what you can afford for purchase price and repairs, and what your comfort zone is. It's unlikely you could get an effective extended warranty at this mileage and point in time (most third-party warranties are risky these days, especially after Warranty Gold went under).

If I could go back in time and make the decision about buying my Aurora again, would I do it? Absolutely. I still love this car so much - the ride, the power, the comfort, the looks. Doubt I'll ever get get rid of this car (I only drive it in winter since I got an '04 GTO summer toy back in August)...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • hunter9hunter9 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Robert. You have confirmed pretty much what I thought. I have two friends that have one, and as it goes, one loves his, the other has had nothing but problems.

My position is that I have usually had older nice cars as opposed to newer cheap cars. I take care of them but they are my principle transportation. The inspection is the big thing. I recently turned one down for some of the issues you mention. (Shocked the seller, he said he had no idea, etc)

Again, thanks.

Bill
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    In response to the parts thing, how many models in 1997 are still made today? Very few. Yet parts are still available because cars are still on the road. Why would that be any different for the Aurora?
  • asemckenasemcken Member Posts: 1
    I'm the proud owner of a 99 - White Diamond on Beige leather, which my kids have taken to calling the "Great White Shark".

I picked it up nearly three years ago with little more than 27k on the clock.

Recently, a very nice lady on the LIE applied her Honda Accord as a suppository, hitting me at about 30 (I was stopped). The Accord was totaled, leaking all manner of fluids and metallic/plastic parts all over the highway.

She scratched my bumper cover, folded over the passenger side exhaust back at the 'Y' pipe, and dented the underside of the trunk. I swear I could hear the Aurora laughing at her.

Here's my rub - since I have the gorgeous 3-stage paint, nobody's been able to match it. The original body shop tried to pull a fast one and make me sign off on a clear mismatch. The second shop wouldn't touch it - they knew how much work would need to go into it, and knew the insurance company simply wouldn't pay. Any ideas?

Lastly, for those of us in the NE, has anyone else noticed that the Aurora's appetite for premium gets more pronounced with this 10% ethanol crap? I took a high-speed trip from NY to Atlanta two years ago and was averaging 28 mpg at speeds approaching the route number. I remember that my mileage got better once I cleared the NJ border and tanked up in DE (we had MTBE back then, but they stopped using it because it poisoned the groundwater...). I can't seem to break 23 now, even on extended hwy drives...

The kids also kicked off one of the little diffuser grilles on the center console (they can only ride in the van now) - any suppliers?

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I've linked the Aurora "Acceleration" and "Modifications" discussions over to our new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modifications board. Stop in when you get the chance and check out some of the other topics!
    Sorry to hear about the accident. The winter and ethanol fuels are pretty crummy for mileage. They have less energy in them than gasoline, so it takes more of it... Of course, they don't charge you less per gallon of it. :\
  • oldsvairguyoldsvairguy Member Posts: 1
    Always liked the Aurora, and searched for one for months.on the same weekend found two. purchased a '95 with just under 55k on the clock in Dec ' 04. Must have been an estate vehicle as the apparently original Goodyears seem to be flat spotted. (I live in Florida - God's waiting room). As I got acquainted with my 'new' car and encountered the top speed limiter for the first time (and probably the car's first time as well) I was mortified. An all aluminum 32 valve d.o.h.c. 4.0, 10.3 to 1, 6200 rpm redline American V-8 and top speed is 110 !!!!! This is unacceptable! Especially when a Hyundai gave me a run for my money on the interstate! Took it to the local Cad/Olds dealer and told the'Met' at the podium (you know the type-cardigan, spiked moussed hair and a manicure) that I refused to believe the performance. After the techs pronounced my Aurora to be in perfect health I ordered a chip from the folks at Westers Garage. They tell me that the new chip (obd-1) will cure the bog on acceleration and remove the top speed limiter. As I was told "It really wakes the car up" Wish I remembered the man's name ,but the very nice lady in the office is Eileen. Will update when I install the chip. See Ya
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Welcome to Townhall,
    let us know about that chip.
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    Yea, I'm very interested in the chip. Mine's an autobahn so 140 is fast. I can only imagine maybe 15-20 more mph max. More interested in the engine management stuff. I'm pretty sure that's killing my accel. It's really random. Sometimes I'll spin them and others it will bog pretty hard.
  • auroraprojectauroraproject Member Posts: 2
    Hey im john im 23 live in TN . My wife had a 95 Aurora and was hit in a parking lot severely damaging the suspension and cracked a wheel. She decided not to fix it and got a different car so i decided to fix it and use it as my daily driver(i have a 2000 s10 which i was driving alot but is a show truck so now ill be able to work on it more.)I replaced the control links and replaced a lower A arm and a rim now all that needs fixing is minor body damage. Im on a tight budget but i would like to fix it up some make it into a real nice ride. I was thinking of first starting off fixing all the body damage (replace the front right quarter panel and get a new hood) and primer the whole car black,shave off all the molding and smooth the body lines out,then maye a mild drop ,1.5 or 2 inches,whatever springs are available, and do some minor bolt ons under the hood like intake and new plug wires,minor stuff to add a small amount of power,already installed flows on it. Any suggestions would be nice if anyone has some,not wanting to go too crazy with it just want it to stand out a little.
  • mypumkinmypumkin Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone, I just recently purchased a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora and boy do I love my car. I have not ever found this much style and preformance in one vehicle before. I will admit after purchase that I have had several things go wrong, but for some reason I never felt buyers remorse!!! I cant believe how well built this car is and how many options it has. I have been upgrading this vehicle since day 1..LOL!!! Please feel free to drop me a message and swap stories with me, I love to talk Aurora's.... :blush: ">
    What up John, that's good that you are looking to hook up your Aurora,
    you can get some decent parts at RSMRACING.com

If you can get some pictures of you Aurora.

You can view my 1999 Aurora at the link below,
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/225739

Javi.
    Hello pumpkin,

Good to hear that you love your Aurora,
    What kind of upgrades have you done?

Javi.
    Hey Javi,

I have redone the carpeting, put in a sony xplod cd changer-amp-bass, on-headrest screens and dvd player, have had to get a remanufactured engine, waterpump and so on. I paid $3000 and now with all I have done I have a brand new car. I really love these automobiles and I am trying to restore it to showroom quality. BTW- It had over 139k on the first engine and it wasnt very well taken care of under the hood. Inside was almost perfect and shiney.

Thanks again,
    Kara :shades:
    Wow, you really into your Aurora, that's good, we need more female Aurora crazy gals in here.

I originally thought that you were talking about, that you had replaced your floor mats or something along the way. But you really did your self, DVD and all, not bad, you really get down with your cars ha? I think that's cool.

You really put in a lot of overtime work for your Aurora, what color is it again, do you have in pictures of what it looked like before and after.

Keep up the great work.

Also you can see my car at link below

:shades:

Javi
    Hey, Oh yah I really do love this car. I totally replaced the carpeting and new floor mats. I have taken a couple of pictures of the before I did auto body work to it 2 weeks ago and have not had my car since. It still is in the shop getting that new engine I was talking about. I should get it back by the end of the week and I plan on taking tons of pictures then. My baby is white with grey interior and dark grey carpets and floor mats, it has that grey/brown console and part of the dash. I have been looking around at spoilers for her but I haven't seen any I like, I might just keep it the way it is. I tinted the windows the first day I owned it, its a Florida must have around here in the summer. I like the original rims on this car and I doubt I will change that, it just looks classy. I did get 4 new goodyears put on her right after I got the windows tinted. I have been trying to think of all the things I have done to her and I haven't even owned her a month. I actually own three vehicles, 1. 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2. 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 3. 1994 Geo Tracker, which I must admit working in a full service auto shop and tire place does help you keep up on your car repair and maintenance. LOL!!! I will keep you posted on the progress of the engine, I have been watching them since I pulled it up into the shop. :blush: Is that your car pictured there? I love black cars, they look so sleek and stylish. :shades: I will be looking for your posts. Keep um coming. Thanks so much for listening.

Kara :P
    Nice work, hope to see them pictures of all the progress.
    Yup that's my Aurora there, just a little sumthing.

Javi.
  • northstar1northstar1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I just purchased a used Final-500 2003 Aurora and is it ever a sweet car! I love it! Plushness and performance all in one great looking car. I'm glad to see there is so many fans of this fantastic car out there.
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hi Northstar1,

Welcome! Glad to have another Final 500 owner here. Tell us more about your Final 500 Aurora. How many miles? Options? What number out of 500 is it? Did you get the Collector's Appreciation package with it from the original owner? How much did you pay for it? Your impressions of the Aurora?

I also have a Final 500. I ordered it new from an Oldsmobile dealer. It is number 55 out of 500. I don't drive it much and it only has around 550 miles on it now. It has every option for a Final 500 except the Navigation radio and the Engine block heater. Unfortunately, it is at the dealer right now because the battery started leaking and the acid burned a hole through the bottom of my car. I am not a happy camper right now and that just dropped GM down several notches in my book and I love GM vehicles in general.

There is a TSB out for this problem on most of the FWD large luxury GM sedans from 2000-2005 (Lesabre, Aurora, Bonneville, Deville). ALL 2nd Generation Aurora owners, TAKE OUT YOUR BACK SEAT AND CHECK YOUR BATTERY FOR ACID LEAKING! Here is a link to the reference of the TSB in the March 2005 GM Techlink: http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/mar05/TLMar05e.html#story5

Otherwise, I love my Final 500 and cannot wait to drive it when I get it back!

Congratulations on your acquisition of a Final 500! Take care of it as much as you can and don't drive it to death. It is one of the last ones left forever!!!

Bryant
  • northstar1northstar1 Member Posts: 2
    Well its # 252, and has I have the Collector's Appreciation package proudly on display. I bought it with 25k miles and it has about 30k now. It has all options except the CD changer and the nav-radio. Its well taken care of and no signifigant problems as of yet. I cant belive that your has only 550 miles on it, what a dream. I live in Michigan but I went to Iowa to get the car as it was the only one I could find for sale at the time. I'm an enigineer for Ford actually but this car gains alot of stares and questions from other car buffs in the employee lot who recognize its signfigance, so it makes it worth while.
    The car is pampered well with premium fuel, regular waxxings, syntheic oils and so on. Owning this car makes me love to drive again.
    A question I would pose to the group is I'm debating purchasing the GM extednted warranty. Any thoughts on the subject?
    Depends on how many miles you plan on driving it per year, how long you plan on keeping the car, and your tolerance/ability to pay for unexpected repairs.

I had a third-party extended warranty on my '98 Aurora. Researching the car here, there were a number of common problems (made me decide to get the warranty). I got hit with almost all of them - my warranty paid out more than 3x what I paid for it. I see fewer issues with the new Auroras, but there are some strange ones (and dealer service expertise does seem to be an issue due to the demise of Olds)...

If you do decide to get an extended warranty, shop around. I've heard that Capper Auto Center in Iowa, and Black Pontiac Cadillac in Pennsylvania, offer discounted GMPP plans. Might consider checking out their prices and then seeing if your local dealer will match - otherwise buy from the discounters (what I plan to do on my 2004 GTO and my wife's 2004 Envoy)...

--Robert
  • suekrasuekra Member Posts: 1
    My dashboard, and outside lights (not headlights) keep blinking. I briefly searched this board and saw mention of multifunction switch. Where is it? I need to turn it off or do something. All my neighbors are calling to tell me my lights are blinking. If this switch needs to be replaced, does an authorized mechanic need to do it or is it something I can have my sun-in-law do. by the way, it is a 1999 Aurora.

Thank you for any help you can give me. This started yesterday and I don't know how much of this my battery can take.
    It is the turn signal, cruise control, headlight stalk (left side of your steering wheel). There is too much grease, causing the contacts to be intermittent and your headlights to flash.

If you take this to a dealer, you will pay $500+ to have them replace this switch. If you or anyone else you know is mechanically inclined, you can fix this. There are disassembly instructions posted somewhere here, as well as on other web sites (I cannot post a link without having the post deleted by Edmunds - their policy). Suggest you use Google to search for "Aurora MultiFunction Switch". Or, just send me an email (address in my profile).

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • amglowamglow Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this group and am glad to see such devotion to this fine automobile. My wife and I just purchased a 1998 Aurora this weekend with 18,900 original miles! It looks like they rolled it out of the showroom. It's the "base" model Aurora, so it doesn't have the moon roof, heated seats, or autobahn, but who's counting. It's the most loaded vehicle I've ever owned. The array of options is dizzying to comprehend.

It drives great! Very quiet and tight, and she leaps forward with a slightly heavy foot. I used to own a 1970 Cutlass Supreme. That was my favorite car until this one came along. At least they are in the Oldsmobile family. I've always like Oldsmobiles more than any other brand or markee. It's a shame GM shot themselves in the foot by deciding to disband the Olds division.

The funny thing is we bought the car to replace my wife's 97 Dodge Intrepid (144,000 miles), but she wants to keep it now and still use it as her primary car to keep the miles off of the Aurora. :)

I look forward to meeting the group.

Paul
    Welcome aboard amglow,

What color is your Aurora?

Javi.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • tjm97tjm97 Member Posts: 27
    NICE MILES!

You have miles-o-smiles to go... :shades: :shades:
  • amglowamglow Member Posts: 2
    Hi Javi,

It is the dark green metalic color. How do I attach an image? I have one the dealer sent me that I can send. Thanks.

Paul
    You have to go to a website that can let you host a picture, I use photobucket.com
    they let use post your pictures and then you can post them here.

Javi.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • dawntreaderdawntreader Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have had a rough weekend. I have a Chevy Venture Van, and I HAD a Dodge Intrepid. Where is this going you ask? Well, this weekend after our van broke down (blown head gasket)I let my wife borrow my baby (the Intrepid). She got in an accident with or kids in the car and totalled the car. No one was hurt but the Fearless car was gone. With that I have an uncle who has an Aurora 4.0 L with all the extras. It only has 50,000 miles on it. At first I thought I want a car I can modify and one that can move, and I have always though Olds where for the older generation (I am 34). Well when I looked at it, I was impressed, then I drove it! I really thin I like it. I guess I just want to see what any ones opinion of the 2000 Aurora is and if it can be modified (i.e. body, engine, etc). I think I could really like it. The intrepid had 2.7L which was not enough for me. I think I will like the 4.0 L. What fun stuff can I do with this Aurora at stop lights and such??
    DawnTreader
    I assume you are talking about the 2001 Aurora (there was no 2000 model - it's the second-generation car, which came either with a 3.5L V6 or the 4.0L V8 your uncle's got).

I don't believe there are a lot of performance mods for these cars - probably the best thing you can do is replace the exhaust system with something like a Corsa. With the older Aurora, the airbox can be gutted for better intake flow and sound, but I don't believe this works on the newer gen.

There is/was a web site (http://www.domesticperformance.com) promising upgrades for the Auroras and other Northstar-powered cars. Unfortunately, there is little demand, so I don't know if any of their ideas have come to fruition.

If you want to modify the car to go faster, the Aurora is probably not for you. If you want to go fast with style, maybe it is.

Just my 2 cents,

--Robert
  • akitaakita Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody? Me and my wife just recenly paid off our 98 Arr. Unfortunately, it's starting to give us a problem regarding acce. I started to work on it and I noticed that several of my hoses is not hook up right/or missing hoses. Went to the dealer to buy a service man. book but they told me they need to order it. Is there anybody have a vacuum / emission / fuel diagram that can share to me so that I can fix the car? Especially the gas prices now adays is not a big help ;especially i'm unemployed and looking for a job..I appreciate It much.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Akita,

What does "acce" mean? Acceleration? Air conditioning" Or something else?

Factory service manuals are available from www.helminc.com; they are fairly expensive (>$100). You may be able to find one on eBay for less money.

Can you describe the hoses involved? If I know what to look for, I may be able to copy pages from my '97 manual and mail them to you. '97s and '98s are very similar.

Les
    Yoshi,

Your reply to me (#143 I think) seems to have disappeared, so I do not have your email address. The sketches in the service manual are not very good, so I took photos myself. I can email the files to you if if I can get your email address.

Les Young
  • pl390pl390 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Well my wife needs a new Mini van to haul kids and hockey bags around town. Last year my company provided a car for me so my 1997 Aurora has been used very little. I took it with me to see about a trade in and he told me $ 6200. Its in very good shape with only 74K . The guy called me three time not about the van but on the trade in of my car. Is this a fair price? I was going to keep or give the car to a family member that needs one. Thank you in advance for you response.

PL390
    There's a "Real World Trade-in Values" thread over in the Smart Shopper discussion. Terry (rroyce10) can tell you, based on an accurate description of your vehicle, what it's worth.

--Robert
    who thinks that sounds great for an 8+ year old car, but doesn't know what options, etc. it has.
    Here's a link that topic:

Real World Trade-In Values
  • macecynmacecyn Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 Aurora bought from an estate sale last November. Snapped it up when I saw it had less than 45,00 miles. Owned by the proverbial little ole lady from a N. Texas outpost. I drove 75 miles to look at it and bought it (for about 20% of the sticker price I guess). The granddaughter cried when I baught it. Beautiful car, light blue with dark blue leather.
    Should have bought the extended warranty though. Had to replace A/C, belt pullys, but we still like it. Still less $$ than a new car, and it GOES!
    That's a nice find, now was it a 45,000 or 4,500 miles?

Also I have question for you is there any way to PM you.
  • sanscrittsanscritt Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I just purchased a 2001 black Aurora. I love this car! It has almost everything including the cd changer. Only 54000 miles and I got it for $14000.
    Just wanted to say hi.
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Way to go Blk97Aurora! :)
    Robert,

Thank you.

Les
  • gmfamilygmfamily Member Posts: 2
    Hi Akita,

Manuals (new and used) are also available from factoryautomanuals.com. Picked up a 3 piece set for my '99 for $80. They were new and in the plastic! I've had good luck with them as I had also purchased the complete set for my '91 Gran Prix.

George
  • flintoidflintoid Member Posts: 1
    I am happy to report that after months of reading these posts and drooling at rjs' red aurora, I buckled down and purchased one this afternoon. I just couldn't see myself leasing an Impala when this GORGEOUS car is out there for the taking!

So forgive my zeal as I announce myself the proud new owner of an '01, 56K, Red beauty of a 4.0 with a sunroof.
    Congratulations and welcome to the Forums!
    Heheh, congrats on the purchase! I hope you enjoy the car!
  • imaurorinimaurorin Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, my names rob 21 yrs young from fl. I'm an enthusiastic yet sad aurora owner. Im so bummed because i have a rare and beautiful car that refuses to run at the moment and refuses to stay running properly. I do love my car and think its one of the best cars on the road, so if i could get some help from you guys that would be great. Ok im done sobbing now....my car is a 95 silver/blue colored w/ dark blue interior (seems to be the most popular color scheme when it comes to the aurora). I do have to say that this car is one of the most comfortable cars ive ridden in and driven, my dad owns a 2004 acura rsx and i cant stand driving it, rather drive my car but it wont start right now. feel free to email me anytime glad to be apart of a club where folks can feel my pain.lol
  • pegasusthunderpegasusthunder Member Posts: 13
    Hey there. I'm a fairly new Aurora owner. Got mine at the end of January 2006. Mine is a 95 and I paid about $4,000 with about 130,000 miles on it. It's a metallic goldish color with grey interior. Very nice looking.
    I learned I'm the 4th owner of this car. While I was looking for a car for me and my 2 kids, this car called out to me. It has the moonroof, which I really fell in love with for I have always wanted one. The seat warmers are also a plus, specially since I live in North Dakota and the winters can be tough. Those seat warmers are great!! I also love the look of being in a airplane cockpit with all the lights and stuff!! That is so great.
    I have had my share of problems - the stupid security thing and it shifted hard at times. And also the stereo keeping my CD. But this has been things I can handle for now. So far I have been real lucky, but it looks like the previous owners took real good care of this car.
    I love this car. It is a real good looking car. I even put a rear spoiler on mine, so it looks even sportier. I have had compliments about how hot it looks.
    I have to agree that this car is the most comfortable car I have also driven and been in, although my Chevy Caprice Classic was a very wonderful car also!!
    As for all the problems I have read about this car, well no car is perfect. But what I could afford at the time, this car makes me feel rich. I have been lucky so far. Knock on wood!! lol
    But I would like to wish all you Aurorians the best of luck with your car and hope things go better for the ones with the problems.
    pegasus,

Welcome. There are good ones and bad ones; hope you got one of the former.

Are you a Fiero owner, too?

Les
  • pegasusthunderpegasusthunder Member Posts: 13
    Hey there!!
    Thanks for the welcome. I know there has been many horror stories about this car, and I have had my share of problems, but I love this car. It's the sportiest car I have ever owned, except for the Firebird. I'm a huge lover of Firebirds too, but the one I had was the wrong year I wanted. It was a 1975, and I want a 1978 Firebird. I hope to get it!! The one I had was real nice though. It sounded tough!!
    I have never owned a Fiero. Thanks for asking!! ;)
    If any of you would like, I will try and post some pics of my baby. Along with the spoiler, I have some graphics on the hood of it. They are skulls in a trible look. They look awesome and really make the car stand out. I put them on myself. And I'm proud of them.
    Again, thank you for the welcome and it's a pleasure to know you!!
This discussion has been closed.