Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora: Modifications

Comments

• Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Colin, e-mail me at greg.garnes@earthtech.com. I can walk you through the Corsa exhaust and send you pictures of the modification necessary. They are also on another site. I think the name of the site is something like Howard's Aurora page or something. Give it a search. You have to find a VERY GOOD custom exhaust shop that works with 304 stainless steel to modify the Corsa STS system. If you do this, you might want to share my pictures and experience with whoever is doing the work.

I've done the air box mod with a K&N. It's the only way to go. You won't screw up the intake air temp and it flows just fine. I've done the RSM throttle body and of course the Corsa exhaust. The exhaust is the best. I did this at least a couple years ago and love it every day. I got it for the power, but ended up loving it for the sound.

Off the line the car is not much different, but once you are moving it pulls really nice. I took on a Mustang GT (260 HP 300 torque) convertible from a roll of about 30 to 40 mph and we both just hammered it. I stayed glued to that GT. He couldn't pull an inch away from me. So, from a roll, I could equal a GT - not bad for a nearly 4,000 pound cruiser. The extra weight on the convertible probably helped me a little too. From the line I would have been toast however. The Aurora V8 produces a lot of power over a very wide rpm range, so from a roll the car is pretty strong.
  • Options
    lithuanian98lithuanian98 Member Posts: 1
    Have you bought the performance module from ebay? If so how does it work?
  • Options
    cmcmanuscmcmanus Member Posts: 19
    THE AURORA RECORD

Oldsmobile's IRL Aurora V8 engine has competed in 50 Indy Racing League events since its introduction in January 1997. The following is a summary of its Indy Racing record to date:

Victories: 48 of 50 (96%)
    Pole Starts: 50 of 50 (100%)
    Fastest Laps: 46 of 50 (92%)
    Laps Led: 9,708 of 10,175 (95.4%)
    Miles Led: 13,473 of 14,108 (95.5%)
    Total Racing Laps: 185,524 of 198,774 (93.3%)
    Total Racing Miles: 259,595 of 278,963 (93.1%)
    Starters: 1,203 of 1,299 (92.6%)
    Finishers: 710 of 755 (94%)

How can I get an Aurora IRL Engine? Is it possible? Can I bore mine out to match that of the IRL version? Mmmmm, methanol sounds fun? Right? I dunno.

Production Aurora V-8 - Indy Aurora V-8
    Displacement: 4.0 liters (244ci) - 4.0 liters (244ci)
    Cylinder Angle: 90 degrees - 90 degrees
    Cylinder Bore Spacing: 102mm - 102mm
    Valvetrain: Dual overhead cams - Dual overhead cams
    Valves per Cylinder: 4 - 4
    Camshaft Drive: Chain - Chain
    Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum - Aluminum
    Cylinder Case Material: Aluminum - Aluminum
    Cylinder Liners: "Dry" iron - "Dry" iron
    Crankshaft Design: 90 degrees - 90 degrees
    Fuel System: Sequential EFI - Sequential EFI
    Engine Controller: Delco Electronics - Delco Electronics
    Maximum rpm: 6,400 - 10,500
    Horsepower: 250hp @ 5600 - rpm 600+ hp
    Fuel: Unleaded gasoline - Methanol
    Bore Diameter: 87mm - 93mm
    Crankshaft Stroke: 84mm - 73.4mm
    Deck Height: 8.84" - 8.1"
    Compression Ratio: 10.3:1 - 13-15:1
    Throttle System: Throttle Body - Individual Runner
    Lubrication System: Wet Sump - Dry Sump

So how can I get my engine close to its IRL cousin without completely ruining it?
    :shades:
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    After Olds exited IRL, there were a few engines that showed up on eBay. I haven't seen any recently. Your best bet is to contact teams that campaigned Auroras in IRL (I don't know how to do that). Are you looking for a street legal solution? If so, I do not think an IRL engine will meet your needs.

I have read that no one rebuilds Northstar engines -- the expense is too high. 0.010" oversize pistons and rings may be available. But boring out from 87mm to 93mm is not going to work. New iron liners would be required, and I do not know if that is possible for less than megabucks.

As you probably have already found out, available performance equipment for Aurora is minimal. K&N filter and airbox mods are cheap and will give you a few horsepower. Corsa exhaust will cost about $1000 and give you ~10 horsepower. The RSM 80mm throttle body may be good for 3-5 horsepower. Altogether, you may be able to get 20-25 horsepower increase from these intake and exhaust mods.

In the 5 years I have owned my '97, I have thought a lot about performance increases. I think that swapping in a 4.6 liter Cadillac engine may be reasonable, although expensive. The late 1990s STS output is 300hp at 6000 rpm and 295 lb-ft at 4400 rpm; the SLS is 275hp at 5600 rpm and 300 lb-ft at 4000 rpm. Our Auroras (250hp at 5600 rpm and 260 lb-ft at 4400 rpm) fall between the two Cadillac engines when normalized for the displacement difference. People have claimed that the Cadillac-to-Aurora swap cannot be done because of motor mount differences. May be true; I do not know of a proof of existence. Swapping in the STS cams may be possible for a few hp at higher rpm, but the expense and labor of 4 cams would likely be prohibitive.

If you are adventurous, nitrous oxide is an option.

On one of the Cadillac forums there was talk of developing a turbocharger kit. I do not know if that ever happened.

I wonder if the new Impala/Monte Carlo 303-hp motor is a possibility.

Les
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    It would be easier to get your motor closer to it's IMSA cousin. That record is more impressive in my opinion, because they had more competition. And that motor is much closer to your production one. Olds has a Motorsports Handbook that can help. But a racing engine in a sedan is an unlikely proposition.
  • Options
    I jsut found this out tonight thought I'd share.

The engine is a 4.0 liter twin-turbocharged aluminum 32-valve V8. GM Motorsports has taken the experience from successful IMSA and IRL efforts and created the new Northstar. Key partnerships with McLaren racing engines and IHI turbos will advance the expertise in turbo package development. Boosted to 1500 mbar (44.3 in. Hg), testing has resulted in very high torque, and a wide flat maximum power range.
    :confuse:
  • Options
    There are two current eBay auctions for 2001-2003 Aurora 17" chrome wheels. I have absolutely no affiliation with the seller.

Les
  • Options
    This motor was used in the Cadillac effort with their LMP-900 car. It competed in ALMS and at LeMans.
  • Options
    2002v62002v6 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2002 without the Bose system and am upgrading the speakers to Polks. I have 6X9 and 6.75" speakers and could use some advice on the proper wiring and how to get at the speakers to replace them in both locations. Thanks.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me which type of THEFTLOCK was used in 2001+ Auroras?

Classics have the type that uses a 3-1/2 digit code that can be used to secure the radio. I suspect the newer ones use the type that is specific to the vehicle's VIN. Can anyone verify or not?

The reason for my question is that I want to install a 2001+ Aurora radio in my 1997. There's a high probability that this swap will not work, but I'm going to give it a try. My reason for wanting the newer radio is the RDS (radio data service) feature. I have looked into after-market units, but none that I have found will maintain functionality of the steering wheel controls without a clunky add-on that works through the after-market unit's remote control port.

Les
  • Options
    There is no code anymore. The radio gets some sort of key or something from the body control unit. So the radio won't work in another car. I'm sure the dealer has a way to reset/reprogram this, though. But there is no driver involvement needed (thankfully).
  • Options
    keenekeene Member Posts: 1
    I just acquired a 1996 Black Aurora with 210,000kms for almost nothing. It was my wife's bosses car and he wanted to get rid of it.
    I love it, and am really looking forward to fixing it up over the winter.
    I plan on doing the K&N Airbox mods right away. Thanks for posting the instructions.
    However, I've already replaced the plugs, and stupidly bought the most expensive ones I could (Bosch Platinum 4s) before I read in this forum that you recommend staying with Delco. I'm getting some hesitation when I accelerate now. Should I switch the plugs back to new Delcos?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Cheers
  • Options
    ddog789ddog789 Member Posts: 2
    i would like to know some quick tricks and some mods i can do to my aurora. id like to take the front end of the 2002 and put it on my 98. that would look nice but money is an issue cause not everyone has money like bill gates. i have like no money for expensive mods. also my mom may want it back and it may need to be sold some day.
  • Options
    2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    Yes, get those Boschs out asap and put in ac delco. Did you also use ac delco wires? Too many people have tried other plugs and wires besides delco and have not had much luck.
  • Options
    j4661j4661 Member Posts: 2
    :) I am an owner of a 2003 aurora and I am having a hard time
    finding after market accessories and parts for this vehicle
    such as the Lighted L E D turn signal for the side mirrors,does anyone know where I can find some?
  • Options
    Try www.muthco.com. They do not make the lighted turn signal mirrors for our cars, but I believe they sell universal stick ons.

I bought a pair (not Muth) on eBay, but have not installed them yet.

Les
  • Options
    j4661j4661 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I know about the stick-ons I don't like them at all. They take away the full view of the mirrior
  • Options
    anthraxfan93anthraxfan93 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 That I have a couple of problems with,
    Is there a Way to override the Governor, such as a new computer? once this is done does anyone know the top speed of these things?

Also I read all these posts about Corsa Exhuast yet when I hit their website I see nothing about Olds, where can I get my hands on this?

Also do you have to do the K&N airbox yourself or is it sold as a kit?

Thanks
    Mark
  • Options
    Heheh, read some more. All your questions have been answered before. :)

Corsa never offered a system for the Aurora, so you won't find it on their site. The STS system can be made to fit.

The K&N panel filter is a drop-in replacement just like if you changed the paper one.
  • Options
    aurora1arcticcaurora1arcticc Member Posts: 1
    If anyone here wants about the most amazing sounding exhaust for $50 more or less do what i did.

Take your car to an exhaust shop get two pipes made of the same lenght and bend of your stock muffler, bring them home, cut off your stck mufflers and put on the pipes in place with a some clamps and put on new tips if you wish. Your car will sound better than any car you meet.

That is if you want an exhaust that is mellow sounding at idle and just roars from 2-3k rpm then just screams from then on. Believe me its the best you can buy.
  • Options
    macfle01macfle01 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 95 aurora and my radio is not working i messed around with some of the buttons on the radio and the time popped up so that showed me that its getting some power but when i tried to turn it on i got nothing could this problem be related to the theft lock system on the radio and if so what should i do to get my hands on the code to unlock it it would really help if someone could post it but i dont no if there all the same which there probably not but if the problem i described to you guys sounds like something involving the theft lock system your information could really help.ps.thanx
  • Options
    I found out recently that the 01 was the only model year of the second gen auroras, that did not have the navigation system as an option. No matter I figure, as I can simply use one from an 02 or 03. Or not, since apperntly no one in the world purchased a nav system as an option for their aurora and I can't find any information on how to get my hands on one. Major parts retailers have never even heard of that, the only thing they're able to look up is the bose system at best. How do I get one? I know that if I can find one it should fit as I have the onstar wiring harness and it's double din. So do I continue to search for an aurora specific system or would it be more fruitfull to look for a cadillac system that should also fit?
  • Options
    :surprise:
    I woke up one morning about 2 months ago to find that everything in my car had been switched to metric sometime in the night. (Most likely by some Canadian ninja out to ruin my ability to tell what my mpg is.) Now I can only determine my liters per 100/killometers or some stupid metric thing like that. Everything from the computer and thermostat to the odometer is all in metric. (Except the time date funcion on the cumputer, those crafty Canadians still haven't found a way to ruin that yet.) So My question is, how the hell do I switch it back? There's no button in there and no info in my owners manual.

All I can say is that I'm lucky that canadian hocky playing ninja didn't sneak into my house and change my zip-code to a postal code. Pheww :P
  • Options
    black01aurorablack01aurora Member Posts: 11
    I've been trying to think about anything to fix my flickering headlight problem, I think its electrical since my voltometer jumps up and down from 12.5-15.5 but after replacing the alternator / battery im at a loss... I've been wondering about HID conversion kits and using it on the projector lens' has anyone ever put these on... will it possibly get rid of this problem?
  • Options
    I took the subwoofer out of my old car and attempted to put it in my '01 WRONG! I pulled out the stereo (which to my suprise took me less then 2 minutes and ZERO tools) and realized that there are NO wires comming out from the radio it is a stupid port connection... makes it a lot easier to pull out but not to install anything... anyone have any suggestions? (preferably with out taking apart the whole dashboard)
  • Options
    I don't think an hid kit would do the trick. I've noticed that my lights (not only the headlamps but the internal instruments also)flicker usually when the car is cold and I'm reving the engine or going into passing power. Even trying the window buttons up when the windows are already up will show that apperntly there just isn't enough electricity to go around. When the car is warm however I don't ever notice the problem.
  • Options
    DON"T take apart the whole dashboard. The onstar port behind your car does have a wiring harness adaptor that can be used for aftermarket stereos. It can be purchased from any car audio shop and when i contacted my local circuit city about the exact same thing for my 01 I was informed that it'll be aboot $150! OMG that's rediculouse for a wiring harness says I and was promptly hung up on. Online they can be found at this site http://www.installer-data.com/aacars/car_data.php?carid=3984 the dms-05 is the part# i believe and that's probably going to be the best solution for you. I personaly have been trying to find the navigation system used as an option in 02 and 03 models but have yet to find any available to purchase. (see my earlier post) But as far as installing your aftermarket stereo that's probably your best bet. But whatever you do don't cut into that onstar port or you will completely ruin the stearing column interface for future owners after you are ready to sell the car.
  • Options
    Press and hold the DIC off button for two seconds. That should toggle between metric and Enlish displays.

Les
  • Options
  • Options
    yep that did the trick....thank you. Now what do I do about the fact that the light for the volume button on my steering wheel is out? The other ones are fine just the volume is out. I tried flicking it and that worked a few times but now it's just dead. Can I just pop that thing off and replace a little led or is it possible that I have a grounded wire?
  • Options
    well I broke down and bought a HID conversion kit, took less then an hour to install and didn't have to modify any existing parts nor did it impede on any other electrical parts... pretty impressed w/ it, doesn't solve the flickering issue, but it makes the flickering A LOT less noticable. Not quite sure it was worth the $250 but the headlights are a lot brighter and the blue hue is pleasant on the eyes
    SO FAR, I would recommend this. other then the fact that it is an illegal in most cars, im not sure anyone will notice since the 01 has the projector headlamp. I guess it will be trial vs error
  • Options
    I had something like this happen before on my previous car (95 eagle vision) tried to re-solder and all that fun stuff, never did work, eventually I just went to a junk yard pulled the whole assembly out and replaced it... worked perfectly.
  • Options
    That's good that the hid kit worked well. I like the blue color of a lot of new caddy's etc. but what to do about the whit foglamps now? Would you also get newer "blue" bulbs for those to match or go the lexus route and get deep amber bulbs? I don't really think I could be down with white foggers and blue beams.
  • Options
    I haven't done it in my aurora but I did do it in my last car, had to basically peel the board out the back, if the aurora is the same way watch out so the carpet doesn't peel from the board otherwise you'll end up with a wadded mess that looks like crap, and if you bend and crack the board you'll end up with a nasty vibration rattle
  • Options
    I was thinking about the color difference, but then again my high-beams and fogs are sylvania silverstars , they are kind of yellowish looking compared to the HIDs... not quite sure what im gonna do, any advise?
  • Options
    I would say that if you're gonna redo the fog lites (which I would also do). If you can't get the same color in the fog lamps as you do in the HIDs then I would say to go with amber, so that your can have a clear contrast between the two sets of lights, and it won't appear that you just stopped half way thru the project.

I seem to recall you were also going to do some stereo stuff, how has that worked out for you so far? I hav just tried to install a kenwood deck and it's insane how difficult it is to install. I will probably have to pay for a custom install or some crap like that. Let me know if you had a better time installing yours.
  • Options
    Supposedly there is a $150 wiring harness that you can use to tap into to keep your onstar and steering wheel buttons... but I'm sure you would have to buy a semi-compatible head unit. Which, I personally, am not going to mess with. I think what I'm going to do is just tap into the rear speakers for the mono sub woofer, but as of right now I'm not sure if my car's alternator will handle it. The alternator has already been replaced and my voltmeter is still jumping around like circus monkey on crack.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    According to the service manager at this former Oldsmobile dealership, the swap is definitely possible. However, it is not recommended. According to the service manager, puting in a 4.6L Northstar would tear up everything behind it (i.e. transmission) becuase of the increased power and torque on an older transmission and car. So if you did it, you would enjoy it, but not for long.

Henri
  • Options
    jerridjerrid Member Posts: 5
    the harnes works and its less $150 as long as you dont buy it from a dealer ship. some what wierd to use srearing controls for the deck. only thing your headunite neads is to be compatable with a remote becouse the kit uses some wird infared system
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a GM AM/FM CD radio with RDS that will work in an Aurora Classic? I bought a 2001 Aurora radio thinking I would be able to find a hack to be able to use the newer theftlock; I'm not trying to do anything illegal as I bought a legitimate radio from a salvage yard.

So far, no luck. The different physical connections can probably be overcome but it's a moot point if theftlock cannot be overcome. I looked at aftermarket, but found none that would allow me to continue to use my trunk-mounted CD changer and steering wheel controls (without a clunky add-on box).

If there is such a radio, please reply with car model, year, RPO code, and part number if you know.

Les
    '97 Aurora
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I'm a bit late on this. but I would be interesed in some pictures of this set up blackl01aurora.

Also how does the factory projectors hold up aganst the 9006 HID bulbs?
  • Options
    zransomzransom Member Posts: 9
    Well I have read most if not all the posts I can find on both sway bars and struts for the classic but to no avail. I was planning to upgrade my rear sway bar with the 22 mm cadillac bar but I wasnt sure what the size on the 99 is because I am under the impression they are bigger than the previous models, at least in the front so I dont want to go through the trouble of swapping if they are the same size. I was also wondering if KYB makes a strut for the 99 because all I have found conscerns the 95-97. I have already installed the caddy strut brace but if anyone else has any suspension recomendations they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    All Classics have the same 17mm, hollow, green rear anti-sway bar. You are correct about later years having larger front bars. '95 and '96 are 27mm while '97-'99 are 29mm.

I looked for years for KYB struts for my '97. Are you sure KYB lists them now?

I still have an STS strut brace that I have not installed because the holes do not line up both side-to-side and front-to-back. I could file larger holes but that would not leave much metal. Did you have that problem with your '99?

Les
  • Options
    After a little massaging my strut brace went into place. I'm sorry KYB makes a strut for 95-96 but nothing for the later years. I dont think the structure or dimensions changed so I don't know if they would work for our later models or not.
  • Options
    I was just wondering what the difference is between the FE0 FE1 and FE3 options on the cadillac rear sway bar. I believe the FE3 is what is normally used on the aurora but will the others work? Thanks.
  • Options
    magickkmagickk Member Posts: 2
    :D well i have a pearl white aurora and best buy just put in a pioneer navi/gps in mines it slid right in where the old deck was and with it i dont need on star the remote cost $24 but the deck was $949 so it was worth it to me i love it it has so many features its crazy gps,bluetooth,navi,ipod,conection and more i lost my audible tones in my carwhen it got in stalled but its cool
  • Options
    my96auroramy96aurora Member Posts: 2
    OK i have a 1996 aurora,what corsa do i order to custom install my ride? 1999 to 2004 seville is what i get from this forum,but some members say for sts so please help me just to order the one that fits the closes to my classic and ill join the corsa gang lol !! please some one email me pics and answer to my question,greg you have installed the corsa please guide me yoda. :-)
  • Options
    The reason they say "STS" is because back when they said it, the STS was a trim level of the FWD Seville. Now of course the "STS" is a different model. You want the exhaust system for the FWD Seville platform, but be aware you will need to have it modified a bit to fit.
  • Options
    my96auroramy96aurora Member Posts: 2
    Thanks i will order the 99 to 2004 seville set and modify it to fit .More toys for my aurora lol.My girl think i love the car more then her ! Maybe :shades: does anybody know which front stabilizer bar I should get for my 96? I understand for a 2000 seville but there are two types... blue and tan bars both 22mm..which one is the correct one?
  • Options
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm contemplating buying a new set of wheels for my classic. They are 18s but what I am really interested in is what you guys think about the tites. They are 225/40/18 Lexani. I know this is a bit narrower than stock with a smaller sidewall. Will this end up being a problem with handling, tranny, or speedo? Any input will be greatly appreciated. By the way I will be selling the stock chromies that I am replacing. They are in flawless condition if you guys are interested.
This discussion has been closed.