Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    My wife's 2001 GTP had problems last March with defrosting the windows. I wondered if there was a thermostat problem, but it turned out to be a stuck "max air door" in the HVAC blower - once replaced, windows were no longer fogged up all of the time.

My '98 has no problems defrosting in this sub-zero weather (-7 this morning on my way to work :-(
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    Coolant is fine Mike.

Im thinking it must be a Max air door or something of that nature. Anyone know where it is on the Rora???
  • norbinorbi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Aurora 4.0 and wanted to know if i could use a Mobil 1 synthetic oil 0W20 Performance Oil. When i used to have a Mustang i put that oil in and nottice a difference in pickup and wanted to use in my Aurora but i am not sure if it would be recommended for that engine.
    Thank you
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    OOPS. bought it at the wrong place probably. Check the brand. AutoZone carries a lot of Wells parts. I certainly gave'em a try and had high hopes as they are made in a small town where I grew up. Multiple tries of TPS's and some other parts showed me they are crap. Hoped I was just getting the bad ones of the batch. One I know was a GM TPS on a 307. First one was bad out of the box but didn't discover until I was doing the closed loop tweaking of that TBI carb. They cheerfully replaced but the second one died in 6 months. The "Wells" was like $25 and the GM was like $68. I got a GM and never had a problem. I tried their parts on other vehicles and had similar problems. Would suggest staying away from Wells, personally. Try Pep Boys for a Rochester, if there is one in your area and price is an issue.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I'm thinking maybe you meant 0w-30? I think that would be fine to use in cold weather. Otherwise, I'd stick with a 5w-30 as recommended. I certainly wouldn't try a 0w-20 if that's in fact what you really meant. Gaining slight power by using a thinner, less protecting oil doesn't seem like a very good idea to me...
  • stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Yeah, it was a Wells. The local dealerships had none in stock and so I went with Autozone. Ironically, my price at the dealer for a Delco part (or whatever brand of EGR the dealer sells) is only 5 or 6 bucks more expensive than retail at Autozone. The code stored on the computer is not an EGR-specific code. It is a high-idle code...like I said earlier, more of a symptom than a cause and I still have some diagnostic work to do before I start throwing parts at it. My gut still says I need another new EGR. Oh well, you live and learn.
  • sbeaupresbeaupre Member Posts: 21
    Well something finally went wrong with my 99 Aurora...well lots of things in the last week. I won't complain as this is the first time the car has been down (now with 127K):

#1 is Traction/ABS lights...I assume a bad wheel bearing and/or sensor. Anyway to tell which one it is?

#2 SES light now on. Seems to have happened with #1. Can this set the SES light? Torque converter doesn't appear to want to lock up. Any advice? Strange thing is the TC used to lock nearly immediately...even during light acceleration. Car's more fun now, though.

#3 Ice caused my wipers to bind and caused the plastic mounts to snap on my wiper transmission. Got the whole transmission assembly removed, not too bad only the weather here (ohio) could have been better. Of course, NOBODY stocks this item, so I ordered from GMpartsdirect...boy these guys are cheap. Crossing fingers here. No wipers means I can't drive the car, so I'm hoping it won't take forever.
  • maytag87maytag87 Member Posts: 37
    Good afternoon,

My serpentine belt just snapped on my 96 Aurora with 131K. I already got a spare belt on my shelf, and I after searching this board it looks like all you need is a breaker bar to replace it. Would someone be able to give some steps on how to replace the belt? I am not very knowledgeable on these cars, but I have been successful at replacing the FPR, plugs/wires headlight etc.

I also got a water pump belt and can change that too if anyone has an idea of how you get to it and replace it, I got no clue.

Thanks in advance!
    Maytag
    #1- 99% of the time it is the a wheel bearing . Actually its the sensor inside the bearing and most scans cant tell you which one it is. You will probably be replacing both. These are one of the few parts for this car where I dont insist on using Delco parts. You can find aftermarkets for around $125 each and get a mechanic or yourself to put them on. You will save around $300 that way.

#2--Get it scanned somewhere. If the light is on then a code has definatley been registered. Ill bet you its a O2 sensor.
    Thanks! Anyone know if the auto chains do free scanning? Hate to pay $$$ and waste time @ the dealer.

Thanks!
    Autozones do free scans.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Maytag,

Check messages 1480, 1481, 1492, and 1500 in this discussion. It's fairly easy to replace.

I'm interested to know about the big belt, too.
    blk97aurora,

Thanks for the message numbers! After reviewing them, it sounds like the serpentine belt wont be too tough. I wonder if while I have it off, it will become intuitive on how to replace the water pump belt. I did not see any tips on how to replace that one, if anyone has a tip to offer on how to do it, I am all ears!

Thanks!
    Maytag
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    belt is easiest to replace if after removing the guard around it you remove the tensioner itself. The tension on the tensioner is relaxed by using a 1/4 inch drive in the square opening on the arm
    to slip the belt on and off the pulley. While you've got the belt off, spin the pulley and makesureit spins freely and doesn't sound dry. You can force grease into the pulley if it sounds dry to lubricate. If the pulley binds, NAPA carrys replacement pulleys.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    i noticed this yesterday, same thing today. under WOT it seems like it surges a few times. only does this under wot, seems like above around 4750rpm or so. could it be that its so cold maybe?? guess thats just wishful thinking (like -8 here) btw, its ALWAYS warmed up before i get on it, which isn't too often anymore. ive noticed a few times there's a little surging at like 40-50mph with very very slight acceleration.

the FPR is about a year old.
    mike98c,

Thanks for the tips on the water pump belt. I took off the engine cover to start working on the serpentine belt. That must not be the cover people were talking about. There appears to be a metal plate over the belts by the passenger inner fender held on by 4 or 5 bolts. I assume this is the cover that must come off. I am also trying to locate the tensioner. Is it on top, or on the bottom?

Thanks!
    Maytag
    Good afternoon,

I've been playing with that belt guard metal plate, not much fun there. I got 6 bolts off so far one of which is very long and it hits the inner fender well before I can remove it completely. It seems there are two more bolts down low, one near the firewall, and the other near the front of the car. Looks like they are my only hope of getting the plate out. I took a pictures of what I was talking about:
    My belt mess

I also notice there is something mounted under the positive battery cable wire that is bolted to the plate, maybe this is a motor mount? Do I want to undo that as well? Am I even in the right place?

Thanks!
    Maytag
    Sorry to say Maytag, but those bolts will not thread out all the way unless you do one of two things:
    1. Take the engine out of the car
    2. Cut the bolts

Seriously. You can read a thread of mine from a few months back about replacing the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley and all the trouble I had to go through with that. I'm not joking though, the bolts are literally too long to come out while the engine is in place. And to answer your other question, yes that is one of the motor mounts underneath the positive battery cable. You can take that apart too, but unless you get the bracket out, you can't get the motor mount out and like I said...the bracket will not come out unless the engine is out or you cut the bolts. I wouldn't take the engine mount apart though, unless you have some auxillary support for the engine.
    My old post #1306 (link should work):
     stickking1 Nov 12, 2003 10:34am!keywords=allin:msgtext%20limit:.ef0429a%20tensioner

But to tell you the truth, you don't have to do any of that to get the belt on the car. Last time I changed my belt, it was done in about 40 minutes in my driveway. No bolts out, no tools needed that I remember. It was frustrating but it just takes a little work to get it in there. It's easier if you have a picture of the engine and the "belt-path" in front of you. It's not easy to see in there, but the picture helps you visualize where it's all supposed to go. I can't really explain how to do it...you just feed the end of the belt in between two pulleys and once it's there, you'll have some space between the pulleys and the bracket to work. I would suggest feeding enough in that you can get it around the crank pulley (at the bottom) and then working your way up (You'll have to get under the car to start this).

Another tip: You might have to pop a section of the wheel well plastic out from behind the right-front tire to get a better look at everything. It's been a few months since I did the job and I can't remember if I had to do that or not. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

-Brian
    Here's a pic from that thread that might help get the idea

Forgive the red circle..that was part of the old post. The hardest part is getting the belt inside that tensioner assembly (the silver bracket in the red circle). The solution is simple, really. There should be a little space between the tensioner and the engine block...you just have to sneak the belt between there. Tricky, considering that you have to do it all while your view is obstructed by the car itself...but it can be done. Good luck!
    Stickking1,

Thanks for the message and the diagram. There are a couple of thoughts going through my mind:
    1) You said you did not need tools - didnt you at least have to loosen the tensioner? Were you really able to somehow wriggle the belt on the tensioner via the "little space between the tensioner and the engine block" you mentioned?
    2) I cannot even imagine how you could work the belt around the pulleys with that metal guard on. If the guard stays on during the installation, I cannot seem to imagine how there is enough room to get at the tensioner to loosen it.

The picture of the motor is definitely helpful. Guess I will take the car in the garage, while still able to run on the battery charge, jack up the front passenger wheel, try to pry back the inner fender trim and give it a go. If you could get back to me about the tensioner, it would be great!

Thanks for the assistance!
    Maytag, in the freezing cold of Massachusetts
    #1. Yeah, you're right..I forgot to mention that, you'll still need to release the tension on the pulley. But no, the torque-axis mount does not need to come off and none of those bolts have to be removed. Hopefully, taking that plastic trim out of the wheel well will help you see...like I said, I don't remember for sure if I had to do that last time (it was a few months ago that I did the job).

#2. You can see on the tensioner assembly in the picture, the slot for a "breaker-bar". To get the belt up onto the tensioner, you can sneak it in between the pulley and the block and then seat it...but at some point you'll have to release the tension with your breaker-bar so you can seat the belt correctly on all of the pulleys. I hope I'm not just confusing you more here :)

The bottom line is that the axis-mount (the huge metal bracket) was not designed to come out for this job. After having to deal with it in that old post, I'm not sure that they designed it to ever come out, unless the engine came with it!

The belt does not need to work "around" all of the pulleys, it has to work in between them. You know from trying that there is no way to go around the entire bracket with the belt...you have to feed the belt inside and work from there.

Now I know I'm getting confusing. Wish I could help further.
    Good evening,

Well just got in from the garage. stickking1 was right, really was not to tough if you got the picture. After getting the bolts back in on the guard. I had a look at the tensioner, once I figured out where it is. Then I found the square looking up at me, and played with an eight inch 3/8 extension to loosen it. The breaker bar had a bendy end, so it would not do anything for me. Taking the plastic lower wheel/underneath trim also provided very good access to the pulleys. Once I had the belt routing down, thanks to the picture, I had the belt completely on, except the AC compressor pulley, which had a small edge not on all the way. A few quick cranks and it was on right. Started it up, and its doing great! From 11.5 to 14.5 volts - cool!

I did not have time to do the water pump belt... Hope I dont regret it... I got to get up early tomorrow, as I got to get my wife to the hospital to deliver our 3rd baby - the boy! My wife really didnt want to go in any other car but the Aurora. At least now, its ready for the ride.

Thanks all for the help! Special thanks to stickking1! Again, this group has helped me save $$$ on Aurora repairs!

Maytag
    The waterpump belt I was referring too (I hope I didn't cause you to think I was referring to the main belt earlier) is a piece of cake compared to the main belt. Everything is much more obvious. I should have mentioned sneaking past the tensioner with the main belt also. It was probably only because I had a good belt diagram from the alldata site I have a subscription for, that I didn't have to do some trial and error disassembly.
    the surging continues. it seems like it surges at ALL speeds whenever i get on it, anyone know?? have this problem? i wouldn't even know where to begin to look.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    "I got to get up early tomorrow, as I got to get my wife to the hospital to deliver our 3rd baby - the boy! My wife really didnt want to go in any other car but the Aurora. At least now, its ready for the ride."

Hm, seems like the little guy is already an Aurorian. I guess we all know what his 1st car will be. . .

------> CONGRATULATIONS <--------
    For the heck of it try an idle relearn and TPS reset. Let me know if you want me to post the procedure.

Other than that if nothing shows on a scan my first guess is the infamous FPR. Theres probably something mechanically wrong with it that is screwing up the fuel pressure.

I had a problem with my Rora needing excessive cranking to start. I didnt think it was the FPR because I examined it and it looked fine. But after a few mechanics couldnt find the cause I changed the FPR just for the heck of it. Solved the problem. Only reason I post this story is because even though the FPR may look like its working fine with no gas sitting in the tube it may still have an internal problem.
    Good to hear everything went well, and congrats on the newcomer! Mike98 is right, the water pump belt is a cinch compared to the big one. It's a 5 or 10 minute job really...Piece of cake.

-Brian
    The surging sounds like fuel to me, but of course it could be other things. When you said it was high-rpm, high throttle-opening only, I was thinking fuel filter, or possibly the fuel pump isn't putting it out like it used to.

Now that it is all the time, it could be that the filter rapidly got worse, but that seems sort of unlikely. Maybe the pump is going, or the FPR (which seems common). It could be electrical or something as well, but it just sounds like fuel...
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    what do u mean by "excessive"? Mine takes forever to start some times. Also my rev-down is quite rough. any ideas?
    I could SWEAR that's sunlight I see shining on your engine. I am incredibly jealous...almost forgot what it looked like.
    This morning the car cranked slow (it started) but it was 16 degrees below zero in the Twin Cities metro area in Minnesota lol. Of course that was pretty balmy compared to some spots that were 43 degrees below a little north of here in Minnesota.
    i changed the FPR about a year ago, so i don't think it would be that, could be, but i don't think it would go out that easy. maybe its getting worse, but now, even mid throttle (like 4-4.5k shifts) have the surge feel. from a dead stop if i floor it it takes off (easing into it cause its so cold, the tires just spin) it has a few bad surges, all the way up to rpms.

how hard is it to change the fuel filter? i know my last car was easy, but ive heard sometimes there a pain to get to. i suppose i should try this first, as it needs to be replaced anyway. also, my gas mileage went down the crapper. avg is 13.4. i do all city driving, and its COOOOLD (-16 in mn like mike said!) which im sure is effecting it, but it still feels too low.

ive heard of the leaky fuel rail, where does it leak? is it visible? should i check with it on? i checked when i got home, didn't smell gas or see any when i took the cover off

it DEFINATLY feels fuel related

thanks
    Dubya, swapping out the fuel filter is pretty easy, just unscrew the end, pop the old one out and put the new one in, no problem. I changed my 95's last year and it was a 10 minute job. Anyone remember if it's on the right side of the car or left? Somewhere in the area of the rear tires, you can't miss it, just follow the fuel lines along the side of the car.

Most likely, if you run into a problem, it'll be rusty and hard to disconnect the old filter. Seems like I have bad luck with that kind of stuff myself. ..must be those Michigan winters :)
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I brought the 17" wheels for the Y2K Aurora for my Classic. The 17" tires will be Michelins. The 16" tires are Yoko's and they suck in the snow.

Here is the issue: I want to use the 16" in the winter to protect the 17" wheels from the snow and salt (especially after the postings I read).

As a result I will have the good tires on the summer wheels.

It could only happen to me.
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    The fuel filter in on the left side on the inside of the frame. Approximately below the rear seat. It shouldn't be to much trouble to change, but be careful of the gasoline that will leak out.

Good luck..
    Yeah Henry. I have decided that next year, I'll get snow tires for the 16" wheels. I didn't want to do it this year, 'cause my old tires still had a good bit of wear left on them, but by the time next winter rolls around I'll be ready to stick a set of Blizzaks on there. We don't get hit hard by snow for more than 2 or 3 months here, but I figure as long as I have a spare set that is going to go during the winter, I might as well spring for the winter tires. My Turanzas are okay in the snow, but it'll be nice to have a set of dedicated wheels and tires for this time of year.
    well, got some really good news to tell.

first, i guess i had a tank of REALLY bad gas, because the problem went away after a fill up, never thought gas could be that bad, the car drove horrible for that week. i got a fuel filter anyways, only $10

second when i brought my car to aamco for a oil change (-18 this week!) they must have oiled up the balljoints or somthing, because my popping noise is gone (99% sure it is, used to be pretty bad, haven't heard it once yet).

third, found the area of the coolant leak, comming from the radiator, looks like a connector. for now ill keep filling up the coolant, worry about it when it warms up, its a slow leak anyway.

and last, but definatly not least......im single again -wipes brow- thankfully.

:D
    I meant I had to hold it and let it crank for like 5 seconds. Sometimes it would take a couple tries.

If its cold where you are the REV down might be effected by that.
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    Bought a 2k1 3.5 in December with a build date of 01/00. According to Carfax, this car originally had a 4 year/48000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
    It says I still had 10 months or 36000 left on it since the car only had 12000 miles on it when I bought it. Can Carfax be trusted or should I call GM to verify? Thanks
    4/48,000 was the warranty on the '95-99 Auroras. The 2001 had a 3/36,000 when it first came out, and then it was extended to 5/60,000 when GM announced it was phasing out Olds. This didn't happen until 12/00, so it is unlikely that your car had the extended warranty. Only if it sat on a lot for almost a full year before being sold (as it is the sale date that determines the extended warranty, not the build date).

Did you buy your car as a Certified Used Car? If so, it should have a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty from the date/mileage you purchased it at.
    That sounds exactly like my problem. I doubt the FPR was replaced by the preivous owner and at 97k its probably time. Where'd you get yours?

I live in south Fl so it's never gotten cold (50 was about the low). What I meant by REV down was there was some vibrations I felt in the cockpit after revving it and letting off the gas. It might be mounts too because my engine moves a ton when you shift (esp. D to P).
    gmpartscenter.net/

$103
    If someone has a wiring diagram, I sure could use some help. Much appreciated help!
    Some idzhit cut wires and hot wired. I'm trying to get back to factory but there is a problem with the color coding. Two black, Two lt. blue, and one white, all 10 guage I think. The white is obvious, the lt. blue have a factory splice down line so no problem. But the black is mighty iffy depending upon the logic they may have used for the #2 & #3 relays in the control box by the Rt. Front of the car. Coming out of there is where they cut the wires. One of the Black wires goes to Relay #3 pin 87 and chassis ground, but I have no idea where the other terminates or the logic applied to it. I would need to know the logic to determine if there is a hidden defect or if they just wanted the fans running all the time. To get the wiring correct, I need to know if the Black wire from the Left Fan or Right Fan goes to the chassis ground and pin 87.
    Been having the hard start when its warm as well. Saw all the notes on the FPR. Finished putting the wiring together, best guess, and thought I check around the regulator. Removing the vacuum line and turning the key on I see fuel seeping from the port. Not much, but maybe enough to cause problem, maybe more when warm, and anyones guess at highway speed. Checked around a couple of places and Pep Boys told me $49. Any thoughts?
    I found the A/C delco FPR at rockauto.com for 83. Probably going to jump on that. Whatcha think? Would I need a new seal package as well?
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    The wiring is fairly complex and not obvious since control comes from the PCM, and my '97 service manual does not provide a description of how the system is designed to operate. If you still need help, I can copy pages from my manual and snail mail them to you; what's your address.

The wiring schematic shows a black wire (ckt 532) connecting the primary cooling fan motor (I don't know if this is left or right) to pin 87 of the low speed cooling fan relay (located on firewall under or near the cruise control module). The other wire from that motor is white (ckt 504) and connects indirectly to ground through the series/parallel cooling fan relay.

The secondary cooling fan motor is connected directly to ground by a black wire (ckt 1350). The other wire from that motor is light blue (ckt 409) and connects to two relays (series/parallel and high speed).

Two things to note:
     * all three relays have pin 87
     * the black wires to the two fans are different circuits

You are right about the wire being gauge 10, which is equivalent to 5mm diameter shown in the manual.

I bought my replacement ACDelco FPR via internet from an Olds/Cadillac dealer for $47.

Les
    Have any of you tried the Khumo's on your ride? A couple of months back, I went hunting and I think it might have been tires plus. Anyway as part of their site they had user opinions grouped by vehicle.
    Two of my three vehicles (ones I have to maintain) there was much praise for the Khumo's. The third vehicle they seemed to be some of the worst. But they were so much cheaper I took a chance. I got them locally because I didn't have time to wait on an order. They have a nice red dot for aligning the valve stem. Unfortunately the mounter missed 3 of the 4 and I'm going back to fix that. Possibly the problem of the annoying vibration at 70 MPH. Or maybe it needs RFB, or maybe CV shafts. But at any speed below 65 or above 75 they seemed fine. They ride quiet, smooth, and seem to have good handling. Traction seems to be good both wet and dry. At one point, someone annoying the heck out of me kept insisting he put his pickup on my front bumper in traffic moving 85. After 50 miles of this annoyance I got a chance to air it out. Pushing into triple digits for a few miles when I got the chance he got the hint and they handled beautifully at those speeds. Car was a little noisy from the air moving across the skin at that speed. Sounded like being in an airplane and a little spooky to have that sound with all four on the ground. Just thought this opinion might be helpful. If you have a different opinion please reply.
    Thank very much. I took a guess at it last night and according to you I guessed right. Overall function is yet to be determined. It was obvious that the fans came on with the compressor. Don't know when the low speed is supposed to function. I've heard that some vehicles use speed as a determining factor. That is the fans turn off at a predetermined point and assume there is enough airflow above that speed. It is possible that the feed wires are then shorted or grounded and this works as a brake because the motor then effectively becomes a DC generator. This prolongs the life of the bearings. Since your manual doesn't give the relay logic for troubleshooting purposes I guess I will have to take a wait and see position to determine if there is a hidden problem. It sounds like you are saying the control for all three of these relays goes directly to the PCM. OK? If your manual shows more about the low speed relay (apparently just a name because it has to pull for the primary to work at high speed)this might be useful in eliminating some concerns. Pin 87 is NO(normally open). Is 87a used for anything? And does pin 30 come directly from a power feed or is there more logic upstream from there?
    I really appreciate this. Oh, and one more thing. Does your manual say anything about the diode that was added as part of the SB concerning ABS/Traction module? I obviously don't have the added "fix harness" and didn't see any diodes in the wiring. Don't even know if that effects the primary (left) or secondary fan. Also noted that although it uses 10 guage wiring normally limited to 30 amps, the fuse feeding the high speed relay is 60 amps. Is this overkill or a mistake? I think that would normally require about 6 guage and didn't see such wiring. Awaiting your knowledge of this circuit as it seems pertinent that we have an answer. We don't want to burn up our cars because some nimrod over fused the wiring. I don't know what the normal or starting draw of these motors is but I am hoping having it wired correctly will add life to the bearings and improve my mileage a bit. A constant draw of 60 amps on this one circuit would require a heavy duty alternator. I'm thinking the normal draw would be more like 8 amps each and if so eliminating 16 amps of draw when its not necessary should help.
    Looked at Mushrooms post. Do you know anything about the seal kit he mentioned. I do have to wonder what is involved with getting the fuel lines loose from the regulator.
    There really isnt any seal kit needed or lines to remove. Just the one line you can see right on top. If you get a new one you will see how easy it is to do. Litterally only takes 2 minutes to change them out.