Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    I bought my Aurora last fall. It's a '95 with everything(sunroof, autobahn, Bose...etc). Bought it from a friend that works for GM and has been driving it since it came out. I don't see too many Classic 95's on the boards here, but it's a beautiful car. But I have to ask myself, in a couple of years, when I have to get another car, where do I go from here? How can you step down from heaven? Oh well, just have to enjoy it while it lasts.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    My build date was December 94 and I am the second owner. I met the first owner when I picked up the car with about 12,000 miles on it after the 3 year lease. The car was basically brand new.

WHile I am the undisputed Shop King. I still like my car a lot. Would not trade it for anything (except the Caddie Cien).

Henri
  • aurorax2aurorax2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Classic and just purchased a 2001. I have the "For Sale" Sign on the 95. This has been a great car and now has 158K Miles. Someone came and drove it tonight...I am not sure I can sell her...

I guess we will wait on the offer :-(
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Your Classic sounds like a nice ride.

But I have to ask myself, in a couple of years, when I have to get another car, where do I go from here? How can you step down from heaven?

When I finally get rid of my 95 (hopefully quite a while yet) I'll probably see if I can pick up a used Caddy STS. It seems to be the last decent full size v8 powered sport-lux sedan. (And the post-2000 Auroras just don't do it for me. No offense to anyone here, of course.)
    I hear you nne3jxe. The styling of the Aurora Classic was truly ahead of its time. I predict that it will still be about another seven to ten years before the rest of the industry catches up to the Classic.

Only then will the masses realize what a hidden treasure the car is. That is the curse of being a PIONEER.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Hopefully the new STS will be cool. The current one is a little boring. But any STS or an SLS is a good place to look. If you can wait about 3 or more years (I can - my 98 has 35,000 on it) a used newer style STS will be available and maybe the new GTO will be too. I like the GTO concept. A decent sized car with aggressive curvey good looks and the Corvette LS1 V8. It will have major tire roasting and brutal acceleration potential and hopefully some class and comfort.
  • same2ya2same2ya2 Member Posts: 1
    How did I do...... ,99 4.0 with 34k on the clock. Total price, 12,400.00. She "Maria Dioblo", (I name ALL my vehicles, is bright white and in pristine condition. I am new to the page and am eager to socialize with other Aurora owners. Bye 4 now.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Welcome. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd say you did pretty good. In May of 2001 I paid $11,000 (+TT) for a '95 with 50K on it. It was at a GM dealer and was totally reconditioned including brand new tires, brakes, cruise, shift lever, tune up w/ spark plugs, etc.

Still have the car (it's my baby) with 97K miles on it now. I'm about to drop a few bucks into it to replace the tires / brakes, fix a few paint blemishes and a few other things (AC compressor just went out also). I plan on keeping her for a while. It's hard to beat the luxury/performance/style combo of an Aurora for the price!

Good luck w/ your '99.

Larry
  • rhale2rhale2 Member Posts: 8
    Make sure you go to a Goodwrench dealer for the AC.
    Had mine replaced at 75K (two years ago) and again at 120K two months ago. The second one was
    on the house , GM goodwrench warranty!
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Thanks, rhale2, for tip. You can't beat that kind of warranty....

Actually, I have paperwork where the previous owner had Oldsmobile but in a compressor about 2-3 years ago. I wonder.....
    Nice discussion, but it does not belong on this board. Try problems and solutions. But to throw in my 2 cents, I just had my compressor done at 77k.
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    My 96 had 75,000 on it and I paid only $6500 for it. Exterior is a burgundy/purple color and interior is beige. Exterior is very clean, just a few paint chips no dings or dents! Interior needs detailed, but will be very, very nice when I get it cleaned to suit me. So far everything works except for power door lock button on drivers side. Aftermarket options are moonroof and bose stereo w/12 disc changer. Do wish it had chrome wheels, they really make the car stand out better. This car was truly a steal. It was a new car trade in.
    Tell me what you think. Thanks, David
  • safefaxsafefax Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 1996 Aurora that had 90,000 miles on it (mostly trips from LA to Vegas)...I sold it for $5,800. I just bought a NEW 2001 from a dealer that had it in his inventory for a year and a half and couldn't sell it. I paid $25,000 for it and think I made a great deal. I had a few problems with my previous car , wrote GM a letter and they gave me $2,000 toward the purchase of this vehicle, along with the $1,500 previous owner rebate I think I came out smelling like a rose. My wifes car a Lexus and this kicks butt. Wish they could use an old man for their commercials!!
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    If that new one is a 4.0 - Wow, if not it still sounds like a good deal. A lot of people are paying way over 40k for a rather small "luxury" car with a small 3.0 V6 (I won't name mfg's). I hope you can write some letters for me sometime if I need help. Who get's satisfaction like $2,000??? Are you well connected??? : )
  • erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    I've got a 97 Aurora with all options (Bose, Heated Seats, Autobahn, Moonroof, Gold, etc) except chrome wheels. Additionally, it has a very nice (read: NOT tacky) spoiler on the trunk and the remainder of an after-market 7 year / 100,000 mile zero-deductible bumper-to-bumper warranty. It's also recently tuned and has about 30k miles left on the tires.

The car is Black-on-Black with 60,000 miles. There are a couple of very minor scratches and a few very tiny chips on the hood ... but you know how black shows EVERYTHING. Otherwise, the car is a dream and is beautiful.

I've been trying to sell it locally for the last 8 weeks with absolutely no luck (newspaper ads, auto trade ads, fliers in stores, for sale signs).

I'm wondering if you think my price is out of line ... I'm asking $10,500 or Best Offer.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Location is Central New Jersey, if that makes any difference.
    This is the auto trader that covers Essex, Hudson, and Union counties.
    Henry, are you referring to a print publication? The only AutoTrader I am familiar with is the nationwide autotrader.com ... if you know of a publication for this area, your assistance is appreciated.
    www.autoshopperonline.com
  • steinhausteinhau Member Posts: 5
    Got my 95 Aurora for $ 4050.- and is an Ebay item. Flew from VA to NH and drove back 700 mls the same day. Car is in great shape other than broken antenna mast and Fuel Pressure Regulator. I fixed both for a total of $110.- incl Tax. This one is green with grey interior and had 88,000 miles when picked up. Speaking of pick-up... WOW!!! ;)

= Uwe =
    All options (including a really nice/tasteful rear spoiler and a zero-deductible 7 yr/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty but no chrome wheels) with 60,240 miles. Black-on-Black. Near-mint condition. I "gave it away" for $9300 ... there was very little demand for the car in the NY/NJ area as the weather has been horrible and most people here prefer import cars.

I'll will forever miss it and will check back in these forums to live vicariously through those who still own them!! Enjoy.
  • srisher1srisher1 Member Posts: 3
    2001 with 22,000 miles. MSRP was $35900, paid $17000 with 39 month/39000 mile warranty. Thought it was a pretty good deal. Has Bose radio, dual power/heated seats. sun roof, chrome wheels, dual climate control, diamond white paint, traction control, stability control, 12 disc CD Changer. I believe the only options missing are memory seats and compass in mirror.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    A V6 I presume? Was it an early build that doesn't have OnStar? The lack of compass is why I ask. Congratulation!
    Yes, it's a V6. It does have On Star. The in service date was 4/12/2001. Did not see the need for the V8. I was always happy with my 3.8 V6 in my Bonneville. This V6 seems to have similar power. I wonder if I could have mirror with compass installed?
  • blkboyinazblkboyinaz Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 1996 Aurora, (green with beige interior) from a 'buy here/pay here' lot for $7600. Had only 73,xxx miles on it. Runs like a beauty. HAd to put in a new fuel filter, pump, and replace the fuel lines around the enginer, but otherwise, it's a great car. Well..I got a 3-rd party warranty off the net for it also.
         Anyhow...I've NEVER liked American Cars before. But each passing day as I own this car..I fall more and more in love with it. I"m glad i bought this car.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    What up blkboyinaz? Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your Aurora. There is a lot of help on this boards, just keep an eye out.

Peace.

Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
  • refinow2003refinow2003 Member Posts: 5
    You got a screaming deal. Wife and I went to dealership on 07/04/02 thinking the dealership was closed. Ended up buying a 2002 Aurora, (Avis) with 13.5k miles on it. Now has over 28k less than a year later. Has memory seats and compass mirror and v6 but wished it had the heated seats and traction control and maybe sunroof. Funny thing dealership had brand new ones for 35k or so. Oh yeah paid $22,500.00 for it including dealer prep and wife was really bugging me to get it. Her and salesman against me. Insurance is high on it but I am rated with 1 accident surcharge.
    Traded a 95 Jimmy which I had the trans redone for 2nd time. What gets me is salesman didn't even drive tradein. If I knew this I would have saved money on trans rebuild.
       Judging by the miles we love it. I get to drive it on weekends and always have to put gas and wash it nearly everytime. We bought an extended warranty from Warranty Gold with no deduct and for 7 year 100,000 miles. Maybe we should park it since racking up mileage very quickly.
    Srisher1 you can have the mirror installed however I would try J.C. Whitney catelog and save lots of money instead. Do not know how this works with onstar. Do not use my onstar at all. Let subscription lapse.
  • gossamer1gossamer1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Aurorians,
     I just picked up my first Aurora! It's a '95, mint green metallic, blue interior,all the options,and I love it! It has 134,000 and needs a little care, but, I only payed 3800 out the door! The only real problem I see is it is a little hard starting in the morning, and that darned Passkey.
              Jim from Ohio
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Hey welcome aboard,

hope some of the things in here help you out,

these boards have a lot of tips for the classic Aurora.

Peace.

Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    Would you mind telling what you paid for the extended warranty? It seems that Warranty Gold has a new offer for me each week. I still have around 15K miles remaining on the factory warranty, so I am taking my time on deciding if I want to purchase an extended warranty.
    Thanks!
  • dmunckdmunck Member Posts: 1
    Last October I purchased a black on black 1995 Aurora with 3:171 gear ratio and Vrated tires for $6500. The car only had 55,905 miles on it. For an additional $1000 I purchased a four year or 48,000 mile warranty. You can't go wrong with the luxary plus performance of the Aurora.

This car is my 4 door loaded luxury hot rod!

Derrick
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    you got a hell of a deal on that. Plus the warranty. Man, you made out like a bandit on that purchase. Congratulations!!!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You may want to take a look at this discussion in FWI, "Warranty Gold" Claims.
  • crazybabydoccrazybabydoc Member Posts: 32
    I bought my wife (girlfriend at the time) a 1997 Aurora (Sep 2001). It cost 17.5 with 33K on the odometer. It was a great car for about 3months subsequent failures of the AC, BCM x 2, rubber muffler hanger, fuel gauge . . . you get the picture. Anyway, the Lincoln dealer offered $4K as a trade-in last summer (Aug 2002). Three weeks ago he offered $5500 for a troubled car with 94K miles. He made his offer 'sight unseen' so I felt compelled to bring the car in for an inspection before we drove off in an LS.
  • gmichael2gmichael2 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 1995 Aurora with 150k miles on Ebay for $3100. Flew from Dayton, Ohio to Greenboro, NC for $54.00 on Labor Day and drove it home. So far I love it. I was looking for a cheap third car to drive to work and would much rather drive an Aurora than some econo-beater. This car has been really well cared for so I'm not to worried about the miles. The only thing I plan on doing right away is have a set of front struts installed. No sign of oil anywhere on the engine or under the car.
  • lando2lando2 Member Posts: 12
    I found a used lot with a 96 w/ 137k for $3200.
    Is this a good price? Known problems: needs a battery and an A/C compressor. The lot owner doesn't seem too knowledgeable with the car itself. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to cross-post this into our general Oldsmobile Aurora discussion. There are very knowledgeable folks hanging out there and I'm not sure whether they check this discussion or not.

Good luck.
  • mg11mg11 Member Posts: 29
    Got my 97 Classic w/86,000 miles on it for $6,000.00 almost 18 months ago. Runs like a charm, only needed tune up, new wires, and new rubber. Dealer that sold it never tuned it, and it was a little rough. Once tuned, you couldn't even hear the engine running from outside the car. I think he was afraid of the bad rep of some of the lemons and their cost of repair. His loss, my good fortune! I was a fan of the car beforehand, and the choice came down to the Aurora and a Mark VIII. I was previously a Mark VII owner, but the Aurora stole my heart. I've been in heaven ever since!
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    lando2,

I own a '97 with 101k miles. I don't know if the '96 for $3200 is a good price, as the bottom has really fallen out of the Aurora market because of Olds' demise. If you shop around, you can probably find an AC-Delco replacement battery for ~$110; you can replace it yourself, but it is heavy -- 56 pounds. AC compressors are expensive to replace; I have not had to do that yet. I would expect to have to pay ~$1000 for parts and labor. Other problems with Classics at that mileage are water pumps and fuel pumps. At 137k miles it should be long past the first round of changes for spark plugs and ignition wires.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you've recently bought or are shopping for a used domestic vehicle, a reporter working on a front page story for a major midwestern newspaper is hoping to talk with you asap. Please respond with your daytime contact info by 5pm Eastern Tuesday, September 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jerugjerug Member Posts: 5
    After 2 months of hunting online and off I just picked up my Aurora on Friday at a nearby dealer for $6995 + T&T with 49k miles. The only options missing were the Gold & Autobahn packages, Bose & CD changer. Dealer checked the car out before delivery & found a small leak so they replaced the water pump at no charge. Thanks to all you members whose postings helped me decide on the Aurora. I absolutely love driving this car.
  • n_vanexel31n_vanexel31 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Aurora in May of 2003 with 111,000 miles. It has a champagne exterior with a beige interior with every option ever imaginable in a car. I fell in love with it the first time I test drove it. What makes it even better is that I only paid $4200 for it. I love the car and hope to have it for a long time to come.
  • harleyharley Member Posts: 8
    I have had this 1997 Aurora for about 4 years with no problems until now. I blew a head gasket and had it repaired. I asked the mechanic if I should sell it or keep it (it has 95000 miles). He said sell it before it hits 100,000 miles since that engine will never see 150,000 miles. It is the 32 valve north star engine. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks in advance.
  • stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    I have 165,000 on mine right now. Tell the mechanic to take a hike! ;-)
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There's one on eBay now that's at around 250k (or was it 265k). Properly-maintained, the Northstar should hit 150k-200k. Not properly maintained, any engine may not make it to 100k.

Re: your head gasket issue, did you have the coolant flushed (not just drained and filled) every 2 years or 30k mi? Used DexCool (orange stuff)? Let them put in the sealant tabs? For an aluminum engine, this preventative maintenance is important...
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    The only way I see that as a problem is if head bolt or bolts pulled from the block in which case it should have been timeserted to permanently repair the threads while the head was off. Does your mechanic know somwthing he hasen't told you, like not being able to tighten down one or more of the bolts? Otherwise I'd drive it and not worry about it. It is very rare that the head and block would warp with the Northstars aluminum alloy construction.

How much did he charge you for the repair?
    It was the GM dealer and it cost $1487. The parts list was about $480 with all the gaskets that needed to be replaced putting it back together--so the labor was about $960 and it was about 15 hours--a big job. I will call the dealer and ask about the head bolts, however, and thanks for your input.
    Thanks for your input--I have maintained the car well and far as oil changes and the like. I had not had the coolant flushed until about six months ago when I first noticed a small leak--I thought it was a hose or something like that. I took it to a radiator shop and they flushed it but did not find anything wrong and, buy the way, they changed the coolant to the green stuff at that time which I found out from GM was a bad idea. The radiator guy said that dexcool was bad for the engine. Anyway it has dexcool in it again. I kind of think that the head gasket was blown at that time but not a bad as it got a couple of weeks ago when the fluid was streaming out. I always thought that the north star engine was a real good engine.
    Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Switching back to Dex-cool after the green stuff was in there, the system has to be flushed out until there is no more green coolant. The orange will need to be replaced as if it was the green stuff because the silicates that the green stuff plates on to the metal surfaces inside the block interferes with part of the inhibitor package included with the orange acid based coolant.

For any more questions about repairs the discussion should move over to the maintenance and repair thread. You might get more responses over there where other members with possibly more knowledge of questions than me read those threads.

That's a decent price for a head gasket repair on an Aurora.
This discussion has been closed.