Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickup Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Nissan
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Nissan pickup!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• nismo97nismo97 Member Posts: 2
    Let's see. i am a proud owner of a 1997 SE pickup that currently has 59000 miles on it. I have only had it a yaer now and altered it slightly. I will have pictures posted in the future. Looking forward to discussions.

-Frank
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Frank's got a cool truck. I'm just stopping by here, I'm actually an Isuzu Trooper owner, but you'll see me in here a bunch.

-mike
  • coas2coas2 Member Posts: 8
    Hi evreybody. I had a '91 King Cab that I sold in '98 with 80K on it. I was sad to see it go, but needed more room (ie kid and her stuff). I am looking at a '01 CC now. I really like Edmunds, and have found a lot of useful information here.

coas2
  • nismo97nismo97 Member Posts: 2
    Glad to see you are returning to a Nissan. I just saw the '02 supercharged crew cab with the
    6-foot bed. It is a great looking truck. It has all the bed room as the standard and extended cab trucks, plus the advantages of the crew cab. I think these trucks are great and wouldn't mind buying another one. The reliability of these trucks are great. I sold my first one with 224,000 miles on it. It was a '86 720 series. This is why I bought another one.

Frank
  • scmike1scmike1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone. I owned an 87 Hardbody and loved it. Bought a new 98 Frontier KC XE three years ago and just traded it in for a used (6400 miles) Silver Supercharged CC with the leather package. Man, what a difference in power and ride!
  • fuzziefuzzie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1996 Nissan Pickup, and I am experiencing problems with the window fogging up, even though the defroster is on and the fresh air lever is set to fresh.

Anyone else have this...what is the fix?
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    Have a 2001 KC with 13K on it now, having bought it in January 2001. Have not had one single problem or complaint. Have put a fiberglass color matched cap on it and a bugflector (never know if they work or not. Must count bugs before and after installation). My son just bought a 2002 crew cab Silver Ice.
  • tee_dotstee_dots Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a used pickup and I've come across an '87 Nissan 4x4. I'd like to know if anyone has ever owned one and if it's worth buying with 250000 kms on it. Any advice would be great... Thanks!
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    It doesn't look as though this is a very active site, but I just purchased a 2000 King Cab 6 cyl XE. This is my first pickup. We're counting on the versatility and 4 wheel drive to make it worth while. If anyone is still out there, post a message maybe we can get this site a little more active. Jack
  • mikea8mikea8 Member Posts: 3
    Just got an 03 XEV6 CC and I love it so far. Looking forward to hearing from others about their experiences.
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    Greetings! I have a 1991 Hardbody Std Cab, D43 if you will, that I purchased new in late 1990. One HELL of a truck. Utterly reliable. This is my sole transportation: drive it 65 miles to work each day. Have over 187,000 miles with no major maintenance. Would I buy another Nissan? You betcha. Reliablilty and value are what sold me on this truck. Will probably get a Titan whenever this little puppy kaputs. Have thoroughly "Enjoyed the Ride".
  • jeske251jeske251 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a lite weight travel trailer. The manual says our truck can tow 5000 lbs. What would be the heaviest we could tow without putting a strain on the drive train?
  • jerrydinmdjerrydinmd Member Posts: 2
    Just got an '03 crew cab xe in August-no problems really except a right hand pull that started at 3,000 miles-dealer made a slight front end adustment and was ok till about 4,000 miles and started again.Took back to dealer and said front end was within specs and the right front tire must have some kind of problem. Totally pissed about it-now have to get with a Bridgestone dealer and go through the warrenty for a replacement!
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Had a 2000 Frontier CC 4x4 and pulled a 5000lbs travel trailer with no problem. You should be fine
  • hlwilliahlwillia Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new 2004 4x4 XE Long Bed Crew Cab all white. Was told when I bought it that it could be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground by putting the Transfer Case in Neutral. I am thinking the salesman blew smoke to make the sale. Haven't heard back from Nissan yet or from Remco, but did find the 2003 cannot be towed with all 4 wheels on the road without a modified drive shaft (that you can get from Remco).

I love the truck, it is the 3rd Nissan truck I have owned. The only thing I have found to date that hasn't been fixed is you can't read the dash gages during the day worth a darn. Guess Nissan didn't listen to all the compliants about that from prior years.
  • jbrotherjbrother Member Posts: 31
    Hey, I just bought a new '03 king cab. I have been reading the owbers manual. It seems to offer explicit instructions on towing. Check it out!
  • mtnmanandymtnmanandy Member Posts: 3
    I JUST PURCHASE A BLACK '04 TITAN 4X4 SE CREW CAB...I LOVE IT! I DROVE ALL OTHER FULLSIZE THAT WERE IN MY PRICE RANGE...THE TITAN OFFERS MUCH MUCH MORE FOR THE MONEY. PLUS, YOU GET TO BE THE 1ST ON YOUR STREET TO HAVE ONE!
  • nissanman2nissanman2 Member Posts: 4
    HELLO EVERYONE,JUST THOUGHT I'D DROP A LINE AND TELL YA I BOUGHT A 2003 NISSAN FRONTIER LAST JAN. AND I NOW HAVE 18,000 MILES ON IT WITH NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER.I ACCESSORIZED A BIT. NEW STEREO=KENWOOD HEAD UNIT,FOSGATE 12" SUB,FOSGATE 400 WATT AMP/ A HOOD BRA / REAR LITES BLACKOUT KIT/ A LEER FLAT TONNEAU COVER/ SEAT COVERS/SIDE WINDOW VENT VISORS/BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DASH KIT/AND IN THE NEAR FUTURE 17" CUSTOM CHROME WHEELS WITH LOW PROFILE TIRES. MY TRUCK IS SILVER IN COLOR.I BOUGHT THIS NISSAN FRONTIER CAUSE OF THE LOOKS AND DEPENDABILITY. (I BOUGHT 3 NEW S-10S OVER THE YEARS AND I MUST SAY THEY WERE ALL JUNK.(ALWAYS IN THE SHOP FOR REPAIR).THIS FRONTIER IS ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS! (NICE RIDE,REALIABLE,DEPENDABLE,COMFORTABLE,QUALITY,AND A 4 CYLINDER WITH 16 VALVES THAT GOTS SOME BALLS.MPG IS 25 CONSISTANTLY. THE ONLY [non-permissible content removed] I GOT IS I WISH THE GAS TANK WAS 19 OR 20 GALLON INSTEAD OF THE LITTLE 15 GALLON TANK. KEEP OR BUY A NISSAN.........U CAN'T GO WRONG..........
  • breezemanbreezeman Member Posts: 3
    Hello....I'm the proud owner of an '02 XE CC 4x4. So far, after 27,000 miles, it's never been in the shop! Unlike my '01 Dakota Sport 4x4 which was in the shop over 15 times. Finally, I filed for Lemon Law & Dodge bought my truck. That's when I switched to the "Final Frontier". I'm looking forward to seeing the new '05 Frontier @ the Chicago Autoshow in a few weeks. I think w/ the larger engine & overall size, it will give the other midsize p/u's a run for their money.
  • tdbowhuntrtdbowhuntr Member Posts: 1
    my name is troy and i just bought a 2000 4x4. it only came with 1 remote and i bought a used one can anyone tell how to program it or the web site that will tell me how to do this. thank you and good luck.
  • breezemanbreezeman Member Posts: 3
    Troy - I think you will need to visit your local Nissan dealership to have it reprogrammed. I have a '99 Dodge Stratus & my wifes grandfather had the remotes de-activated. The dealer only charged me $35 & did it while I waited. I searched all repair manuals & websites and came up empty handed. You can also purchase another remote at the same time if needed. Good luck!
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2003 Frontier CC LB 4x4 XE with the 3.3 V6. As in most vehicles when I turn on the defroster, the AC compressor kicks on to help clear the windows. However in this model the the AC compressor will NOT turn off when switched back to vent. The only solution is to turn the fan off, thereby all ventilation, or turn off the engine and turn it back on. Only then will the system return to vent without the AC compressor running. Thinking it was a problem I took to a dealer for service, and he replaced the activator, only to find out this is how the system is intended to work. The TSB says it is to assist keeping the windows clear. That may be OK in the tropics, but it doesn't help in heating the cab during a Nor'easter in January. Does anyone know of a fix to solve this? From the TSB it seems like a problem with 2003 models only. If it is why doesn't Nissan replace it with the 2002 or 2004 actuator? For anybody getting disappointing gas mileage or lack of power, this may be the culprit. Any suggestions would be helpful. Otherwise I have enjoyed the vehicle and look to many years of ownership.
  • jablonka1jablonka1 Member Posts: 8
    I just installed a K & N air filter on my truck. I also put a 5W-30 weight synthetic AMSOIL in the engine. WOW! more power and I'm sure the engine will last much longer with the AMSOIL. Have any of you did the same? Gas mileage also improved.
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    Just switched to Amsoil 5W30 & Mobil-1 filter in my 2000 Desert Runner a couple thousand miles ago. I did this more for reliability standpoint, so I'm still using the stock air filter which will filter particles better than K&N. The Amsoil seems to have smoothed the idle even more & added a bit more power. I haven't noticed any increased mileage yet...maybe I will after the synthetic cleans out the engine a bit more.
  • u22uu22u Member Posts: 3
    just bought a 2004 4cyl with 5speed. never had a truck before, or a nissan for that matter. really searched high and low for small trucks for a bout six months. this one finally won me over. tell me about yours, the MPG i can expect, any quality aftermarket items that really have proven themselves to be worthwhile, and any thing else that you think improtant. i'd liek to stay in touch with some frontier owners about our trucks. mine has 74 miles on it. keep in touch through : gmillione@yahoo.com keep on truckin
  • u22uu22u Member Posts: 3
    found any useful ways to make the front bucket seats ride less like a pickup on a washboard road.
  • pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    Check this site...center for auto safety...www.autosafety.org...they have a data base of vehicle defects of all makes....please spread the word about this site.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Hey frank,I owned a 1989&1993,they were the best trucks I ever owned,thoe I can't say too much about your Isuzu,I know they crush like tin foil when in a accident.I own a 2001 chevy s-10,biggest peace of crap I ever bought,stupid me should of bought another Nissan.They say buy american but our countrys truck suck I hate too say.the seats sit so dam low you don't get much room.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I just purchased this truck 6 weeks ago and I am in the process of modifying it to
    suit me. I love the truck and the power although I have to be very careful or my gas
    mileage goes down the tubes.

I have ordered a Fold a Cover bed cover for it and I am awaiting its arrival They are
    just now putting the '05 model production on the line.

I would like to add a nice slightly louder than stock, mellow sounding exhaust on it next, but I cannot find anyone locally that has changed theirs out to judge the sound level.

I had a '00 Frontier XE that I sold to buy the '05. The only reason I traded was that
    the 4 cylinder just did not have the power I needed. Boy, do I have the power now.
    I did put a Flowmaster exhaust on it and it had a much deeper sound, but it was too loud
    for long trips.

Before the '00 XE I had a 1977 Datsun Kingcab tha tI drove for 24 years and 175,000
    miles. It was a 5 speed with no air conditioning or anything else for that matter.

I look forward to a lot of fun miles in my new ride.

Gerald
  • dfaltdfalt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Nissan King Cab that I bought about 18 months ago and I really like the truck. The only problem I have is that the truck gets blown all all over the road in the wind. I replaced the stabilizer bar links which were worn out but even after that I have to fight the truck to keep it straight in the wind. Anybody had a similar problem. The rest of the linkage is tight and my mechanic says that there is nothing he can do.
    thanks
    gfalt @ifn.net
  • baseballfanzbaseballfanz Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my 2005 Titan CC last week, it was a Texas Titan only avaiable in Texas. Got big tow package (I love them big mirrors) plus a few other options.
  • mondomondo Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    PLease give my info on the live chats, I'm not on much but when I am I love to talk to others about the related topics.

Mondo
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    At this time, we do not have any chats specific to Nissan, but you might enjoy the All Member chat. Here is the schedule:

# Weekly Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesdays, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET

# Weekly Subaru Crew Chat
    Thursdays, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET

# Monthly Forums Member Chat
    3rd Wednesdays, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
  • diko617diko617 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my 04 Nissan Frontier KC XE to a 05 Nissan FRONTIER CC LE. I test drive the Ridgeline, Tacoma, and Dakota. You know what guys nothing come close to a Frontier when it comes to power of the engine. I even like the quiet interior it got, im driving at 80 mph and all i here is the whistle that comes from the roof rack. I dont want to make any comment about the Tacoma & ridgeline, see it for yourselves. Believe me after you tried to the test drive the Trucks ive mentioned, you will agree with me that I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE in choosing a NISSAN FRONTIER! :)
  • sgaddysgaddy Member Posts: 5
    I replaced my 98 frontier clutch plate and release bearing. When depressing the clutch I hear a whining noise, so I replaced the release bearing again, with assistance from a ase cert mech. i still have the problem , what is going on??? I trust the mech, he is my brother in law and did not charge me either time for the work.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    buy the wind gard for the sunroof, and the whistle in no more,it works great up thier.
    hope this helps you.
    ps this truck is so much fun to drive!
  • sandslingersandslinger Member Posts: 1
    I own the 2005 nismo and really have had a great time with it for the past 5 months. Have checked all other pickups and found nothing that compares with the interior design or the exterior lines. I get nothing but good comments. I hope there is a solution for cutting the outside air. Normally in my other vehicles the reciculate button cuts the outside air off and there is no outside coming in. Dealer told me that there is allways air coming in on the small vents by the window for defogging but I notice it from the other vents when I turn up the fan. I would like to cut all outside air when in high traffic due to excessive emissions from other vehicles. Nissan puts a cabin air filter in the truck but it just collects larger particles only. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?
  • mick14mick14 Member Posts: 30
    Hello baseballfanz, Mick here. G'Day mate!!!! :)
  • titansilvertitansilver Member Posts: 4
    The titan is a beautiful truck. A month ago I picked up a Silver 05 XE KING CAB with 19kmi, with power windows, with an A.R.E. hard toneau cover(color matching), factory drop in bed liner, excellent condition for $16,500 (with tax, registration and fees came to $18,227) which included a 7yr/100kmi extended warranty.
    I was originally shopping for a Frontier 05 or better but after test driving a few titans. I fell in love.
    I like everything about the truck except for gas mileage and engine noise. If anyone knows of any mods which would mitigate both I would appreciate some advise.

I didn't do much research, I went with my gut and reputation of the NISSAN brand; then I found out it was US built. I still love the tuck but I gave up on US built vehicles long ago.

Hopping for the best
    _Will
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    My wife and I just returned from a month long trip into the American Southwest. It was our first long road trip with the new truck, enjoyed it immensely. We had no issues, changed the oil/filter once, and had a good time exploring the back roads.
    While we were driving on some rough single track primitive roads, I noticed a sound
    (like a castanet) coming from the rear. I swear it was coming from the box (not the interior of the box) and all our gear was secure. I'm wondering if this should be considered normal, or is there something that can remedy this. I checked under the carriage and all appears to be tight. Anyone?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I had a mysterious metallic rattle (not a castanet sound) coming from behind the rear seat in my '06 SE Crew that I could not diagnose, but through the help of a friend finally fixed it. If yours is a Crew, check the alignment of the rear door striker with the slot in the door where the striker enters. In my case the alignment was terrible and when I'd hit a heavy bump, the rattle would be created. I aligned the striker and the noise is 90% gone.

Not sure if this is the source of your noise (usually it's the jack, tools, spare tire or the seat belt), but maybe this suggestion might help.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Thanks for the reply asa. I will check the rear doors. The jack was tight, also the tools, spare tire, and seat belts. I even hopped onto the top of my tonneau cover while my wife drove (don't try this kids) on a particularly rough (wash board) trail, and that sound really seemed to be emanating from the cargo box (adjacent to the cab). This is something I could live with, but I'd rather remedy it. This is one solid truck otherwise.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    You might try too to be sure the licsense plate is tight (yep, one guy found his rattle was his rear plate), that any Utili-Track accessories and rails are snug and that pebbles haven't landed in the suspension or brakes. Also if you look underneath the truck under the leading edge of the bed, you'll see a piece of C-Channel running across the width of the bed along the headwall. The first time I hauled a load of landscaping pinestraw, sand sifted out into the C-Channel below. It's a cinch to wash out or blow out. This is a log shot, but I'm trying to think of what might cause a castanet sound. (You may want to be sure there's not a small Calypso band under your tonneau. :) )

Yes, with the exception of the rattle (fixed), my Frontier has been very solid. My wife is amazed at how quiet and comfortable it is at speed, plus she handles my 6-Speed stick like a pro. I have only 10,000 Miles on mine. It's become our preferred family vacation vehicle because it's a cinch to load and an easy ride.
    Thanks again asa! I'm going in January for a regular service to my local Nissan dealer, they're very good, so I'll get them to take a boo (or a listen) and see what they think. Again, this is one fine truck, and I could live with it regardless. Everything I've been able to check is aligned and/or taut. The tonneau is as well, so we'll see. I'll post again in the future.
  • goodfella57goodfella57 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, my name is jeffw, i am the proud owner of a 2009 titan crew-cab pro4x model, what a truck, have not had a chance to off road too much but i did find a few large deep mud holes to test out the 4 wheel drive switches, i look forward to sharing some stories in this forum-thanks
This discussion has been closed.