Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 1rshm3n1rshm3n Member Posts: 1
    Hi gang, new to this forum but I have an 01 Frontier KC. Service engine light came on and the meter reads EGR flow excessive? IS this a vaccum issue, time ti change the plugs? Truck only has 46500 miles on it. The dealer told me that it was not under warranty.. Any ideas??
  • gunmetalkatgunmetalkat Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for confirming via the internet that I have a definite problem. Its been there since 200-300 mi; I knew it wasn't normal, but as a mechanically knowledgable female; the service dept. keeps telling me its 'normal' when I know its not. Thank you again for confirming that I am right about this problem.
  • shymasshymas Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Nissan Frontier and since day one it has brake noise. When you come to a complete stop it makes a clunking/grabbing noise and when you take your foot off the brake it does the same. We told them we wouldn't buy it if it was a problem the day we test drove it. They said it was new and the sound would go away once the brakes seated. Long story short they say it is a normal sound with the Frontier truck. I have never had a vehicle with brake noise like this. They have changed the brakes, turned the rotors and resurfaced as they say our new truck had warped rotors....just this last time they replaced the rotors and did new brakes again...now they say...oh it is normal sound. Anyone have this. I find it hard to believe Nissan would put out a vehicle with this kind of noise everytime you come to a stop and release the foot brake.

Thanks for any help you can give us. Otherwise we love the truck.

shymas
  • halfcar609halfcar609 Member Posts: 11
    I'm currently working with Nissan consumer affairs and the local factory rep. I still have the issue and have an appointment for Monday.
    I have a couple of questions. When was your truck built? Is it an early build like October or November?
    Also check to make sure that your spare tire is tight, that made the problem seem worst that it is. Mine was shifting back and forth when accelerating or stopping.
  • mando_2mando_2 Member Posts: 8
    Wow, I noticed this problem also after my first 300 miles on my Truck. I own a 05 4x2 SE Frontier. You are right, it does get worse as the truck warms up. I took it to my dealer and explained to them that it felt a slight delay in the shifting coming out of a stop. The dealer said that they could not find anything wrong with it, but I know its not right I owned a 2000 frontier before and never had that problem.
  • mrrmrr Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem with my 2000; I am looking for any help. The fuses all looked good but unable to tell which fuse I could replace from the diagram.
    mando_2 and gunmetalkat have you been able to get the dealer to resolve the tranny issue. :confuse:
    No, unfortunately the dealer cannot find the problem. I took this truck in 4 times for this drive train clunk. Every time they told me that they could not duplicate the problem. I told them that it is not normal. They also tried to blame it on my tailgate because it had some play to it but, I removed it and it still had that same feeling like if something is loose. I also went in for that engine “knocking” they replaced what ever they had to replace and sadly it is still knocking. I am very disgusted with this truck I’m even thinking of trading it in for a Ford or Chevy. If anyone knows what is wrong with this truck I would greatly appreciated I am also thinking of writing a letter to Nissan to notify them of this issue. :sick:
    mando file a complaint with nissan corporate. That will eventually make the factory rep. get involved. I'm past consumer affair and currently up to the executive office. If this does not resolve the issue I will file lemon law. :lemon:
    I sure due feel like I have a lemon. I’m going in on Wednesday for the 5th time to try to get this resolved if not then I will take your advice and file a complaint. How and were would I be able to file a complaint??????????? Need help :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    pal ,the law states if you have them try and fix the problem 3time and still nothing is fixed right you have to get the lem.law paper let them know you problem and `1of 2 things one they chex you Mi. and refound you cash price for the Mi. or 2 or they fix it . but 5times they know your easy so change the tides.
  • schade1schade1 Member Posts: 2
    I am racking my brain trying to find the fuel filter. I have checked the usual suspects: under hood, along chassis. Maybe my dealer coated it in undercoating where it's unrecognizable. Anyone done this replacement at home?
  • schade1schade1 Member Posts: 2
    I've been using full syn in my '98 since 6K miles. Several cars including Corvettes come out of the factory filled with synthetic oil. The biggest warning with syn is that if you switch to conventional later, you will have major leakage on all your gaskets. There are also synthetic lubes for the tranny and rear end, but you have a long while to go yet.
    mando, open a case with Nissan corporate that will get the ball rolling and get the factory rep involved. I have taken the long route but I'm making sure that I give them ample room to make a solid case for my claim. Most laws have a 3 strike rule. I'm currently at 3, if corprate snubs me I will send them the certified letter informing them of my intent. If they don't repair it It will go to arbitration and possibly to the state's consummer affairs division the more they drag this the better for me.
    Finally I'm meeting with a Nissan Rep to address my issues along with one of their Techs. The service manager at my dealer informed me that he will make Nissan Corp. aware of this problem. Also the mechanic who originally tried to repair my knocking tried to tell me that was normal. I told him were to shove it ( Reason for Nissan Rep Meeting.)
    good luck, I ended filing Lemon Law, lets see what they do now. :lemon:
  • jburginjburgin Member Posts: 3
    I recently changed the timing chain, guides and tensioner on my '97 pickup. used Haynes as a reference. The engine is the KA24E. As i removed the fuel/vacuum pipe assembly from the front cover, I noticed it was completely clogged. I used alcohol as a solvent and cleaned it before re-mounting it. It appears to have a sort of PVC valve, because when I got it clean, it rattled. I re-assembled the truck, and fired 'er up. Ever since, at normal temperature the truck sounds for all the world like a tractor at idle. Not really a knock but sort of, and ONLY at normal operating temperature. The engine gas 100k miles. I had changed the timing chain once before, with no problems. No loss of power or fuel economy. Ignition timing on the money, new plugs, wires, distributor cap and wires. HELP PLEASE!! The truck is my only transportation, and I am afraid I am causing damage I am not aware of. Also what the heck does that fuel/vacuum pipe assembly do anyhow? It is only mentioned once in the haynes manual, in the front cover removal steps.
  • jason0820jason0820 Member Posts: 21
    I've got a '05 Frontier 4x2 (2.5L 4 cylinder engine) with the Auto, and I've noticed that it sometimes refuses to upshift when going up steep hills where I live. When ascending, it shifts up to 3rd, and stays there even as I hit the throttle.. It revs past 4,500 rpm's and continues up without shifting to 4th. The ascent usually end up cresting before I can throttle any more.
    Don't know if this is normal, as my other Auto cars have never revved that high... and I this happens on my new Frontier whether or not I have the Overddrive deactivated.
    So, I finally meet the Technical Service manager with (The Product Engineering Investigations) for Nissan. The first time Tech drove it he found out what was wrong with my truck. According to him it also happens when the differential has too much clearance. I was so thank full he found out what the problem was and that I was not crazy. Even though the dealer kept telling me it was normal. Their ended up replacing the whole rear end I'm hoping it will work. I'll find out on Monday when I pick up my truck. (Hopefully no more clunk) If anyone has any questions let me know.
    mando can you please give us a little more detail of the problem you had and what exactly your tech found wrong. Also the dealer and the state. I'm hoping that perhaps you may have the solution for my problem. My fustration and the lack of resolution pushed me to file for lemon law.
  • williamrwilliamr Member Posts: 3
    My 98 is not a 4x4, but the fuel filter on mine is in the gas line, in front of the tank, mounted on the right frame rail.
  • williamrwilliamr Member Posts: 3
    Hi: Hate to give up on my 98 Frontier with 90000 on it. Have had to replace the oxygen sensor (to the tune of a few hundred dollars) and now my "service engine soon" light is on again.

Have had 2 diagnostics and it seems I need to replace the catalytic converter (to the tune of $800. Dealer seems to be the only place to have it done. The muffler shops say they've never seen a CC like this and can't find a replacement). Last muffler shop said it is not clogged, but underperforming.

Any ideas? Will trade it before I pump $800 into it.

Thanks
    The truck got the whole rear differential replaced unfortunately the problems still continues. Here I go again with this junk at least Nissan is aware of the problem. Going to call the dealer to let them know the news.
    Oh well.... Have a nice life fellow Nissan Pickup owners. As for me, I am a soon-to-be FORMER Nissan pickup owner. I've had it! Never liked cars in the first place! A Rolls Royce is a piece of crap, and it goes downhill from there! The internal combustion engine has not changed substantially since 1890, except for materials, tooling tolerances, and electronics. There's GOT to be a better way. :)
  • coveredicoveredi Member Posts: 20
    A Horse, maybe? ;)
    Of course! (sorry):)
  • scnismoscnismo Member Posts: 3
    I've heard that the 05 seems to have a similar problem, yet less noticeable.(mine doesn't seem 2 have it, so I'm not sure) Nissan claims that this defect does not hurt the engine, so if your "not really a knock" is the same thing, you may have nothing more than a minor annoyance. Hopefully others with more knowledge of this will reply, I'm curious for my own sake 2.
  • ediamiamediamiam Member Posts: 17
    Curious as to why you've changed out your timing belt twice already, and the engine with only 100k miles. It's not a timing BELT that needs to be done about every 60k. I'm thinging w/ regular oil changes that chain should be good for a minimum of 200k. If you are getting a rattle, my money is on the guides/tensioner not being installed properly. I think you need to take it apart, and review your work.
  • ediamiamediamiam Member Posts: 17
    I would wait until the truck gets closer to 10k miles. My '00 Frontier didn't really feel broken in till about 8k miles, when I noticed it felt a bit more torquey. I tried Mobil 1 in a 5w30 at 10k and kept it in until 17.5k. I noticed it consumed a bit of oil. I switched back to dino 5w30 w/ intervals of about 4k. No more consumption, no leaks. At 30k, I changed the tranny fluid (manual) and rear differential gear oil. The tranny fluid has to be GF4 rated, I used a Redline product. For the rear differential, I used SWEPCO because I has some lying around and I had enough for the differential. I noticed a couple of things afterwards - the differential got a little quieter, I'm thinking most likely because the level of the gear oil was way below the drain plug level. And the drain plugs on both the differential and tranny had fuzz on the magnet on the plugs. A good case for making sure you change your gear oils early. Mainly no problems overall with the truck unlike many others here. Some build quality issues - the headliner sags a bit in the front/middle and the sway bar bushings was missing a washer, causing the nut to wear into the rubber bushing, introducing more slop into the handling. I changed over to polyurethane bushings on the sway bar links. Recommended tire pressure of 26 lbs, way too low, running at 32 lbs.
  • mikee25478mikee25478 Member Posts: 9
    ok, it seems that nissan has a thing for yellow lights. I have a 02 Frontier xl, just a little 4 cylinder 5 speed truck, with 180,000 miles on it. I use it for deliveries, and i use 93 octane every day. My SES light will come on sometimes for a day (approx 300 miles, city driving) sometimes for a week, and i think the record is it was on for approx 2 months. (roughly 12,000 miles). I change oil, filters, etc... every 3-4k. Gas cap is on tight every day. Any guesses on what causes that light to pop on and off seemingly at random?

Also, are the ECM's on the Frontiers prone to fail? Can i use a used one? I dont have power locks or anti-theft on it, would i have to get the ECM reprogrammed to work with my truck?I am planning on driving the truck till 500,000 miles, so I am trying to plan ahead. Thanks
    I think I finally found out what is making this clunking feeling in my drive train. A mechanic told me that the slip yoke in my rear deferential has too much play. So, I called my dealer and they are going to take a look to see if it is defective. Nissan is using a different drive shaft system with the 4x2 SE then with the LE XE. This system sucks I should have bought a Toyota. :lemon:
  • marko43marko43 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to remove the tail light assembly on a 97 pickup - 2WD. It appears that there are no screws holding it in place. Thanks.
  • evilgrinevilgrin Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a '05 crew cab automatic and have to say i'm pleased overall, except for the weird [non-permissible content removed] noise coming from underneath. if i start the truck (after sitting 10 min or more) there is a loud 'clank' noise under the truck when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. only happens once tho...after stopping at red lights and such, as long as the truck has been moving, it no longer makes that sound until i stop, park, and eventually go again. took it back to the dealer and they say it's normal, that it's the sounds the truck makes when 'the driveshaft comes under load'. does anyone else with a 2005 get this kind of noisy mess?
    remove the 2 screws from inside the bed(if you have a bedliner you may have to pull up on the bedliner to see them) once you have those out, it should just pop out, and the lights unscrew from the back of the assembly.
  • pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    Just had trouble with my 2001 XE Crew Cab. When the clutch is depressed, there is a high pitch whirring sound. Disappears after a while. Brought it to the dealer to have it diagnosed. I was told the clutch assembly is worn out....cost is about $900.00. My truck has 55k miles and most of my mileage are freeway driving. How could a clutch get worn out so soon? Should have bought a Tacoma instead. This problem is on top of the air conditioning problem I encountered about 6 months ago when all the hoses started leaking all at the same time. Some kind of Nissan quality. I am not buying another nissan. Is there a way to get these problems to Nissan's attention?
  • pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    Mikee25478,

Have a shop check the exhaust system....oxygen sensors, egr etc. it usually is one the components that the SES light comes on.
  • nissan3nissan3 Member Posts: 5
    This could be caused by clogged EGR ports from carbon buildup.What happens is that the other ports get clogged and all the exhaust gases go to # 4 cyl. causing a misfire.In cases i've seen theres 2 to 3 ports clogged.Look at your intake going to the head and find the EGR passage,you'll see 4 pipe plugs 1 for each cyl.with recessed allen heads.You will have to remove the air cleaner so you can see them.The throttle body will have to be removed to clean out the ports.But first you should be able to acess 1 of the them to pull and look with a flashlight to see if theres a small hole in the middle of the opening.The hole is about the size of a B.B.If its clogged start with a small drill bit and twist it with your fingers until you drill through.Then go up in size until the hole is cleared.If you have compressed air then blow out the passages after you drill'em or spray some brake cleaner down through there as it will clean & evaporate.Good Luck!
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    mine does it everytime when shifting into reverse. I agree with Mando_ 2, I think it has too much play in the axle.
  • raylaffraylaff Member Posts: 1
    This is the same problem I've had with my 02 Frontier from about 2 weeks after I picked it up. It was in the shop about every 3 weeks to reset the light and try to find the problem until I finally gave up and got used to seeing the light on. I don't have nearly the mileage you have (only about 41,000). It never caused any problem with the vehicle until I failed my state's emissions test this past weekend. EVERY system test passed including EGR and O2 sensor. The only thing it failed on was the light being on. I wonder how many other people have this problem, but don't have access to this website.
    Several that I have talked to. I think I am going to just take the instrument cluster out, put a piece of tape over the light, and not worry about it anymore.
  • mrtipstermrtipster Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Frontier makes scraping noise in P & N.The driveplate-converter bolts are tight.What else might cause this?
  • rdb40swrdb40sw Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem two days later on my new 05 frontier. The problem turned out to be a bad "gas cap". The original one was not locking tight enough.
  • nhnissaninvanhnissaninva Member Posts: 13
    posted this to the general nissan pu forum:

Heh Folks,

Front brakes on my '95 are getting very hot, must be dragging a little. Seems to be both sides but maybe worse on Rt. HOT means after 6 miles to work today at 40-60MPH I had "hot brake smell" and some smoke off the Rt. front brake. This truck looks great but is a NH rust bucket underneath, I haven't popped a wheel yet to see what's there.

Any chronic experience with stuck brakes on these?

Saturday now, got the truck (SE Kingcab V6-4WD) up on jack stands in the driveway, brake calibers, everything very rusty. Left brake releases pretty much OK but Rt. really drags. It's 95 degrees out, 90% humidity, no shade, don't think I'll tear into this today.

Considering this Rt. front brake got hot enough to stink and was smoking a little after 6 miles I'm guessing the hub/bearing should be torn down and relubed. I'm not a 4WD person, not sure I want to tear into all that. Any opinions on whether this should all be torn down, and a fair price for a shop to charge?

ps-about 5 miles into my 6 mile drive to work this great, rock steady on the hiway truck started to vibrate/buzz a little. I pulled over to check tires, thought it could be a carrier bearing on driveshaft going out. Drove it home at under 40 mph with a couple stops along the way (no more brake smoke) and no buzz/vibration, but that's got me thinking the hot rotor/wheel could have a bearing problem now.

Thanks, NH rustbucket
  • mch59mch59 Member Posts: 2
    i am looking to buy a basic small truck for commuting and trips to Home Depot. are other owners satisfied with this basic configuration? any problems to report?
    i will get mine with the air bags and air conditioning. thanks.
  • remoremo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Nissan Frontier for my daugher. The drivers side parking lamp appear to be burned out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to replace it. I am hoping the whole headlight module doesn't have to be replaced.

The owners manual isn't much help at all.

Any help will be appreciated.
  • robert_1972robert_1972 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everybody :
    PLease read on if you are a Nissan Titan owner or at least interested in knowing more about it.
    I bought the car that I thought was the dream for every guy who likes power, performance and all the bells and whistles in a perfect car, and that was a 2005 Nissan Titan LE trim, loaded with all what a truck can ever have. And I Said : this is the one.
    Couple months after that I started having a problem : the steering wheel started shaking when I need to apply the brakes; an immediate turn-off for me towards my car.
    I took my car to the service advisor and told him in the exact word: " Sir, something weird is happening in my brand-new truck, whenever am applying the brake..." he interrupted me and continued " the stirring wheel starts shaking ? " I answered "yes".
    They performed the recall and the car went back to the normal smooth drive and stop.
    Just recently, I had a "close call" a "narrow escape" a "good luck", you name it.
    I was driving back home on the Free-way at a speed of 50 mph and suddenly the car ahead of me came to a sharp stop which made me react quickly by applying the brakes, although it was a nice sunny dar with dry cement.

My vehicle started unbelievably shaking, the more I was applying the brakes the more my car was trembling. In less of a second I had to decide to release the brake to stop the shaking car and wheels , but had to choose either to hit the car ahead of me or a better decision is to go offroad and avoid the crash.
    Eventually I did swerve off-road and avoided the crash. It happened so fast that I could NOT remember whether the ABS did kick in or NOT, and IF it did I would NOT be able to feel it because how my car was behaving. After that , all I wanted was to get back home safe and never to drive my car anymore.
    There is no kind of trust in this car from my side anymore .And I hope that none of you ( Titan Owners) will ever experience an incident like this. The brakes problem just came back again suddenly without a prior notice, all of a sudden I felt I am experiencing a 9.00 earthquake, and the more I had to push on the Brake Pedal the more the car was shaking.
    If this would be any concern for anybody then I am sure I would see some kind of reactions .
    More and more, please drive safe and watch out how your vehicle performs and be prepared for the unexpected. My car suprised me in the most negative way, but I am NOT going to give it a second chance.
  • dander1dander1 Member Posts: 7
    I've read previous posts about a transmission/drivetrain noise when acclerating/decelerating. I have a Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab and noticed an audible "thunk" when shifting from reverse to drive, or vice versa. Is this a normal noise?
  • emcsherryemcsherry Member Posts: 1
    Had the ses light come on with code 0400, egr system problem. Had all parts of the egr system replaced with new except the egr valve. The light has come on again at 122 miles, question is this? Does our local mechanic or Nissan dealer required to install a repair code to remove the history code? This is the second time for the SES light to come on and now my mechanics is shaking his head and say's this never happened to him since he has been in business. Any suggestion on how to get this light to stay out? Also, has anyone replaced the EGR valve itself, the nissan dealer on Long Island insist that they have never sold on and told my mechanic that they never replaced this particular valve.
  • apaniolasoulapaniolasoul Member Posts: 1
    I have about had it with customer service raping me with service charges...I need to replace the driver side mirror with a new one that I have bought...they wanted to charge me 200!!!!!! dollars for just doing that...is there anyone out there who can tell me how to do it myself? Don't really want to pay the 60 bucks for the up-to-date manual....but I will never use the service dept again...sigh....