Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• viennevienne Member Posts: 1
    This truck has been amazing until recently. It has developed a surge and hesitation problem that occurs at idle and during driving (any speed). I have had it to two mechanics, the second a Nissan certified mechanic, and still no luck determining the problem. The fuel system has been ruled out and the problem may exist within the ignition system. Can anyone offer other solutions?
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    so...you disengage the clutch and keep it disengaged all the way to the light/stop..? Clutches are for shifting. Aamco is right. How many miles do you get on a clutch? Personally, I got 170,000 on one. I suggest that when you see the stop coming, pop it into neutral without even touching the clutch, or disengage the clutch long enough to put it in neutral, then coast to the light and keep you foot on the brake...(notice you are still not touching the clutch). When the light changes, disengage the clutch, put it in 1st gear and continue as normal. Why would you want to disengage a clutch, at any speed, and go through the gears..?
  • mikee25478mikee25478 Member Posts: 9
    I pretty much agree with the post on top of this one, but i should add that I just hit 206,000 miles today on my 02 frontier, and I still have the original clutch. With that said, at approx 130,000 miles, I had a similar problem with my clutch, If I was in first gear traveling at approx 10-15 mph and depressed my clutch for more than a few seconds,for example to coast in bumper to bumper traffic, it sounded like the demons from hell were wrestling each other under my truck. If I popped it in neutral, it stopped. It was also about this time I noticed that I could no longer "short shift" (which is my term to shift without the clutch,I dont know if that is the official term or not)from first to second. Even now, I cant shift from first to second if my RPMs are even remotely over 2000.When I asked my mechanic about the problem, he said it could be the clutch, or the synchronization (gear?)-Its been a good year and a half ago, working on memory here-and he told me to drive it until the clutch started slipping. The last gear I now downshift to is 3rd gear, and so far, so good.
  • caplancaplan Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

has anyone ever heard of knocking from the front left suspension, only when turning to the right. And if you get under the truck and look it is obvious where the suspension has been hitting and causing a mark on the back of the front left tire.
    Thanks!!
  • abir_kyabir_ky Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 SVE KingCab. I am planning to replace the factory bulb with sylvania silver star bulbs. Anyone tried these bulbs here? I head good things about them, but would like to know if someone has any problem with them. Also, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to replace bulbs (headlight) on this truck?
  • renren1renren1 Member Posts: 2
    Let me know how you situation unfolds. I have a smell coming from my front wheel wells. It smells hot or as if something is burning. It is very subtle though. I just had a 2" body lift put on my truck and I'm worried that the shop that did it may have messed something up. The dealership had my truck for an entire day and could not find anything.
  • renren1renren1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 king cab 4x4 SE with the v6. I have owned the truck for a year. I love it. This past month I decided to have a 2" body lift put on it at a local shop. It looks great, here's the problem. Recently I have noticed a "hot" or "burning smell" coming from both front wheel wells, but primarily the driver side. There is no noise, there is no smoke and the truck drives great like always. This smell goes away very quickly also, it only happens after you have been driving, not while idle. It appears to be more strong when the distance traveled increases. My local Nissan dealer had my truck for an entire day, and notice the smell, but absolutely could not find anything wrong!!! Does anyone have any suggestions. The dealer said they could re-pack the front wheel bearings, but said they thought that would be a waste of my money. The truck is out of warranty, so it would have been at no cost to them to do any work. The shop that did the lift had to adjust my linkage to my transfer case, could they had done something to make the 4-wheel drive not disengage properly? Thanks for any suggestions!
  • sassafras1sassafras1 Member Posts: 2
    97 pickup the dealer computer says it's this valve that keeps the check engine light on. Has any replaced theirs? it looks like it is hard to get too. Someone told me you can disassemble and sometimes clean and replace. Anyone have any suggestions. .How does this valve work ?

thanks
    Gary
  • caplancaplan Member Posts: 2
    I have a similiar problem, I took it in twice with no resolution. The 3rd time I had someone look at it he told me he thought it was a loose wire on the carb, We didn't do anything, the light went away byitself. Every once in a while when I drive the truck hard it will come back on, but so far no problems.
    Good Luck!
  • sassafras1sassafras1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks Caplan, did you replace the valve ? my dealer said the part was over a 100.00 bucks plus labor. Once the light came on it hasn't gone off, but i will check the wire.
  • town2002town2002 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, This truck has 220,000 miles on it Alot of highway driving and still has the original rear brake shoes REplace front brake pads every 50,000 miles and rotors once I don't think the load compensating valve is working correctly any suggestions [email protected]
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    About 7 months me and my brother went to look for a new pickup. While looking we came past a 2005 Nissan Titan. Brand new. We asked the dealership for a deal. When I was test driving the truck I noticed how weak the breaks were. So I turned them down. Then I got me a Tacoma PreRunner. Best truck Ive ever owned. :)
  • btlewisbtlewis Member Posts: 1
    I'm researching to see if I should buy a 2005 Titan and I've read alot about brake problems. Do the 2006 models have the same problem. I really liked this truck. Should I buy one?
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2003 Frontier pickup and need to replace the tail light bulb. I see no screws removing the lens from the side or the rear of the housing. :confuse:
    Has anyone actually done this and can assist I would appreciate it.
  • mikee25478mikee25478 Member Posts: 9
    remove the 2 screws from inside the bed(if you have a bedliner you may have to pull up on the bedliner to see them) once you have those out, it should just pop out, and the lights unscrew from the back of the assembly.
  • jstasyszenjstasyszen Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Frontier 4x4 Extended Cab, when I bought the truck the window sticker indicated 17 MPG City and 25 MPG Highway. After putting 13000 miles on the truck I have hit 17 mpg only two times on the highway, my average is about 16.5 and it has dropped to 15.0 mpg. Has anyone got over 17 mpg on the highway?

By the way I also have the knock in the engine at about 2000 rpm. Wonder if this might have something to do with the bad milage.
  • dchelmisdchelmis Member Posts: 1
    You should buy one. I have one and I think a lot of people who are hard core chevy and ford lovers would put down any truck that is not domestic. The Titan now comes with Bosch ABS Disc Brakes on all four tires standard and they work very good. Before this, I owned a 2004 Chevy 4X4 Quad Cab and it was nice, but not as powerful, fast, or roomy as my Titan. Nissan is very reliable too. There are a lot of old Nissan cars and trucks on the road with well over 200,000 miles. Nissan also has very good axles, Highest torque and horse power than any domestic and will lose any chevy or dodge or ford in a race.
    It is a truck that a true truck lover can appreciate.
  • bhays99bhays99 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I can not find a place to remove the taillight assembly to get access to the tail lights. I have taken the bed lined off and removed the screws that hold on the tailgate. Help? Thanks. Brian
  • wrightdwrightd Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the purchase of an older Nissan Frontier (2000 or 2002 model, due in part to financial situation, I can't afford brand new vehicle. I am looking at 4 door model with around 60000 to 85000 miles on them. I have never owned a Nissan, and do not know what to expect, what I mean is what are the normal things to "go out". Also what are some of the miles on "like models" from owners registered in these forums. I drive 30 miles each direction for work so alot of the miles will be highway miles. I just do not know what to expect from a reliability standpoint. I am looking at models with automatic transmissions, but I am scared of potential for problem with these type transmissions. ANY and all information would be of great assistance in making my decision of purchase or not.
  • bsmith72bsmith72 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Frontier SE, 4X4, 4-door. I bought it used about a year ago, and I love it (my first truck), but:

The brake caliper, passenger front, seized up the other day. I called NAPA, and they had to order it, but only 1 day to deliver. The guy said quick ship time indicates a common problem (lots of people order calipers for this vehicle).
    Also, I have had a slow coolant leak for a couple of months, and I should really get it tested. Could just be a hose, but could be the water pump.
    Otherwise, no problems. Don't expect a lot of power (I don't have the supercharger), but better than a lot of other light trucks.
  • wrightdwrightd Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information, all input is greatly appreciated. Best of luck.
  • brandon280brandon280 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have tried those bulbs before, honestly i wasnt too impressed, they werent as bright as i expected(for $20ea), and they didnt last too long either, i was extremely careful not to touch the glass and they only lasted about 3 months. I have bought some eurolights that were brighter, but the wattage was too high and they melted my wires.
  • brandon280brandon280 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my 2000 nissan frontier crewcab 4x4 v6 xe randomly died today. it wont start. I had it towed home, and pulled the diagnostic code p0325 knock sensor. My question is, Would a faulty knock sensor kill my truck? Or would something else be killing my truck and setting off the knock sensor? I dont really want to go replacing expensive sensors for no reason.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks
    brandon
  • andycapp77andycapp77 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to replace the clutch and thrust bearing in my 1997 2WD Nissan XE pickup.
    I do not want to remove thie engine to do this, so am thinking of removing the manual transmission and going in thru the underside of the vehicle.
    Are there any tips or tricks that anyone can pass on or any problems that I may come across that can be avoided.
    Appreciate any advice.
    Also, I haven't worked on a car in nearly 20 years (used to race and service my own Renault Gordini including stripping the motor after every race) so was wondering if anyone knew roughly how many hours this job is estimated to take?
    Thanks in advance
    Andy Capp
  • pissantpissant Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2004 frontier 4 cyl automatic and i have the same problem as you on cold days it will not shift until around 3500-4000 rpm i have been back to the dealer and it has not yet been fixed i find that if i let the truck warm up for around 20 mins it will not have a problem i cant imagine that this is normal as i live in florida could not imagine if i lived north the problems i have if you have any luck with the dealer fixin this problem please let me know as i will do the same if i have any good luck
  • kierkekierke Member Posts: 1
    Did you get an answer to your question on how to remove the tail light assembly? I've got the same question.
  • irish24irish24 Member Posts: 43
    We have an 04 frontier. today one of the wipers didn't work or move. Was about 11F here in new england this morning. called nissan service and one guy said this often happens in this kind of cold.....to first try tightening the bolt which may have come loose. He is talking about a bolt on the wiper arm I think. Anybody tell me exactly where this is located? Is it at the bottom of the arm? Thanx in advance irish
  • liwliw Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the starter inhibitor relay is on a 1992 4x4 SE Nissan extended cab pickup? The dealer says it's on the inside of the passenger side fender well but it's not there on my 92! There are 3 other relays in this area but not the starter inhibitor.
    I took my 05 Frontier to Nissan (Hudiburg Nissan) in OKC and they fixed the problem. I downloaded this document off the web:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-015.htm

Showed the service department manager the doc and he found a TSB on the item and was able to make th e repair. If you have the 2000 rpm engine knock download the doc and take it to Nissan.
  • whiskywhisky Member Posts: 1
    Hey you have to take the 2 bolts out that hold the bed extender in to remove the rear tailights. Look in your owners manual there is a section that shows this in a picture. That is how it is in my 2001 anyhow. I hope this is some help
  • kshayneskshaynes Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2002 Frontier with approx 70,000 miles. The check engine light came on 4 months ago and he took it to the dealer who did the diagnostic testing and was told that it had a bad knox or knock sensor and it would cost approx $800. to repair. He has continued to drive it but now the repair is going to have to be made because it will not pass emission control testing which must be done before he can purchase his tag. I am wondering how common this problem might be-I have never heard of this part-do all vehicles have one? Seems like a very expensive repair for something that apparently does not affect the operation of the vehicle. I would sure appreciate any info anyone could provide.
  • ratysonratyson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Nissan Pickup (4cyl, 2 wheel drive) with a leaky fuel filler hose.
    I have been unable to find a part number for this, anyone know the part number?? Or another solution in replacing this part??

Thanks in advance,
    Russ
  • fronty00fronty00 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: My frontier 2000 , has been good to me until yesterday my headlights won't go on althought the high beams works and the fog lights work i have no low beams...I checked fuses and relay all is well... anyone had this problem. I have HIGH/LOW bulbs,

Please help!!
  • lshipmanlshipman Member Posts: 3
    Let me know how your gas mileage goes following the repair...I had it done 2 months ago and lost 4 mpg...currently fighting with the dealer/nissan-usa to look into the repair and make sure everything was done properly and/or install brand ne VIAS unit...
  • frontier2000frontier2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,I went to pass the state Inspection and I find out that my truck don't pass the test because the knock sensor.I ask for the repair cost and they estimate at about 500.00 to 580.00 which is way too expensive to me.My truck is a 2000 with about less than 48000 miles on it.I wonder how this part got bad,so next time I don't make a mistake;also I would like to know if I can buy the part and replace by myself....do I need a special tool or is something that only a mechanic can do it.If I can do it by myself please will somebody tell me where this part is located...I do really appreciate any advise or help....Thanks
  • nattbaileynattbailey Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the exact same problem with my 2001 Nissan
    Frontier 4cylinder (2.4ltr). About 6 months ago my
    service enginge soon light came on directly after my
    engine hit a rough idle. A couple of weeks went by,
    than I took it to a Mechanic. He put it on his machine
    and read a emissions problem. He told me that my catalitic
    convertor was clogged. Nissan has a 80,000 mile warranty
    on their catalitic convertor. And with all luck I had
    81,100 miles on the truck at the time. So I took matters
    in my own hands and I thought it would be a quick fix.
    The light still shines bright. I had my mechanic friend
    clear its memmory. After 1 day of driving the service
    engine soon light came back on. I've been driving it
    this way for about 6 months now. And it's progressively
    getting worse. Its simptoms are: rought idle, poor gas
    milage, slugish take off. Other than that this truck is
    a keeper. Everything else is machanically sound.
    I read that your truck was needing a knock sensor???
    what is that, and can I repair it myself???
    And maybe I can fix my problem by process of elimantion.
    please respond
    thanks,
    nattbaley
  • nattbaileynattbailey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 frontier 2wd and every morniing when
    I first start it up I can hear a vibration in the front
    of the engine. I have finally found the problem. My
    hood vibrates. I can push down on it and it quits.
    Easy fix.
  • bvcmagicbvcmagic Member Posts: 2
    I just read a code P0328 off of my 02 Supercharged Nissan Frontier also. P0328 is "Excessively high voltage from the knock sensor". I was planning or replacing the sensor myself, but was just wondering if this could simply be caused by low octane fuel causing this trouble. I was thinking about switching to high-octane for a few weeks to see if the problem disapears. What did you end up doing with your son's nissan?
  • bvcmagicbvcmagic Member Posts: 2
    I just read the same code on my 02 frontier?
    What ever happened to yours? Was it just the knock sensor or was it more than that?
  • voks7780voks7780 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, it is a relief to see someone with a same type of problem. I'm currently having that clunking in the front part of the vehicle only when I enter driveways or make turns. It is pissing me off sometimes. I checked the front stabilizer and it seemed to be fine but I did not know that there was another stabilizer in the front rear. I will check this out. thanx
  • savi101savi101 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: OMG, the same thing just happened to me tonight. I have a 2001 frontier. High beams and fog light on left front work, no blinkers even with a new fuse. Brake lights work fine as do all my dash and compartment lights. If you know the problem plz send msg..thx
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    I have a 98 Frontier and the service engine light comes on a lot also. Usually slugish starts and horrible engine performance comes a long with the light. I took it in to the dealer a couple of times and got the usual, 'you need to replace the bla bla bla' and that will be $$$$. I paid and the problem came back, that is when I started to notice it was always doing the 'Funky Chicken' when it was raining/snowing/or drizzling. My local mechanic (who is great) popped the distributor cap off and it was all wet inside, he dried it off and I was good to go. The problem still happens when it is wet outside and my mechanic said the distriutor cap is poorly designed and positioned poorly and it will always be an issue.

Other then that the truck is awesome, I have 140K on it, never has needed any serious work, and is still rattle free after 140K. It does look like junk because I haven't washed in in 2 years but their is nothing like a dependable truck that is paid for. I just learned to live with the 'funky chicken' episodes during wet weather, it clears up fairly quick and it doesn't bother me at all. The service engine light stays on for a couple of days and then eventually goes away. I figure it isn't hurting things much because I still get almost 20 mpg and it burns no oil. It is a 4x4 King Cab 4 cylinder.
  • cshetz31cshetz31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 nissan frontier SE, v6 4x4. About a month ago, I noticed a strange scratchy sound coming from my left front end. Well, me being a poor college kid i let it go. Now, whenever I hit a bump, I get a screeching sound coming from it, and I now also get the same sound coming when I turn the wheel to the left. Any idea on what this is and how i can fix it, or how much it'll cost. Let me know!

Thanks
  • pickup1993pickup1993 Member Posts: 1
    Hey

I have a 1993 Nissan Pickup 2.4L 5 speed. Whenever I am driving in either 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, I hear a knocking sound coming from the transmission, but in 4th gear it disappears and the truck sounds excellent, and then in 5th gear, the knocking comes back, but just barely. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? also, i am aware that the clutch is about dead, which i plan on replacing in the near future... do you think the clutch failing could be playing a role in the knocking? could i be doing damage to the truck by driving it?

thanks
    No change n mileage but the knock is gone. They admitted they had a technical bulletin after I gave them the pages I downloaded of the knock issue. On another note however, I have been driving between 75 and 80 mph and my mileage has increased to 17.3 mpg. I had heard that driving at higher speeds could increase mileage by several diesel truck owners. They were right, while my truck has a gas engine, the large 265 hp 6 cylinder it still got better mileage running 80mph. I have been considering adding acetone to my fuel to see if it will atomize the fuel to get better mileage. That is another theory being passed around. Add about 1.5 oz per 10 gallons of gas. The acetone will cause the gas to atomized better in the engine causing more fuel to burn. Auto makers put the fuel canister in the engine compartments to recycle the unburned fuel back through the fuel system. It doesn't seem very efficient to me to keep running dirty unburned fuel back through the system but it would seem to be a better solution to finely atomize the fuel to get more of it to burn when the cylinder fires.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
  • my84my84 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 84 nissan 4x4 with a z24 in it. The choke wont open properly. When i open it by hand it idles up and wont idle down even if i turn the idle down. Does anyone know why this is happening?
  • robert62robert62 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 2.4l frontier king cab that shakes excessively in OD. It runs great as long as it's not in OD. When I push the OD button the tach drops about 800-1000 rpm...no problem, but then after about 2 seconds the tach drops another 200-300 rpm and the shaking starts. The check engine soon light stays on and blinks. I took it to Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts and had the codes read. Both times it said cyl #2 misfire. It was tuned up last week, new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Please help! Thanks
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I would have to believe that there is something wrong with #2 cylinder......take it back to wherever it was tuned up and have them re-do their job.
  • mauibird1mauibird1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier manual transmission. I am the original owner. Yesterday the engine stalled as I was approaching a busy intersection. I stepped on the brake and the pedal went to the floor. I pumped it, still nothing. Luckily I wasnt hit when my truck coasted into the intersection. The brakes work fine when the car is running. Isnt the brake supposed to work without the engine running? I know in other cars I've had the brake would get incredibly stiff when the engine was off but still worked. Is this a problem in Nissan trucks? :confuse:
  • jerseyjoe1jerseyjoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my truck a month ago. A few miles out of the showroom I noticed a slight delay and a jolt when I accelerate from a stop. I took the truck in to the dealer to have it checked. He gave me the 2 standard dealer answers "no problem found" and the ever popular "Derr there aint no error codes". Anyone else have the same type problem. Also I'm getting about 14.5 mpg Dealer says that normal.