Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    I have an 05 CC. So far i have put 15.6k miles on this car. Recently, i notice a "engine service" light comes on. What do i have to do? how to reset? Please advise. Thanks :confuse: :confuse:
  • rsimmondsrsimmonds Member Posts: 1
    I am considering putting a nissan factory grill guard on my 2004 titan. Can you put driving lights on it, I don't think it is predrilled. It has only 2 points of attachment to the truck instead of 4 in after market grill guards and wonder if vibrations-noise is a problem. Can it be put on without sacrificing the skid plate as is the case with all the after market grill guards that I have researched.
  • popdaddypopdaddy Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking at a 2000 crew cab with the V6. It is in good shape and runs out well, but has 127,000 miles on it. If I get it, I want to keep it for a while. Anybody still going strong with this many or more miles? Problems I should look for? Thanks
  • toostoos Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1987 pick-up that runs fine when I first start it. After I drive 10 miles or so, or sooner in warmer weather, the engine misses now and then, causing the truck to "stutter". It gets worse as I continue to drive.

I replaced the throttle position sensor, since the stuttering stops if I :sick: begin accelerating. I assumed there was a "dead-spot" in the old throttle sensor. I assume that once the engine warms up there is something else that is causing the problem. I'd welcome any suggestions on what might cause these symptoms. The truck is old, but only has 109k on it. Still lots of life left in it if I can fix the "stutter".
    Nevermind. I passed on that one and bought a 2001 crew cab with 62,000 miles on it. No problems so far.
    As I said above, I bought a 2001 crew cab SE 4x4. Didn't really want the 4x4 and don't think I'll need it that much here in GA, but it was the best deal. Never had a 4x4 before. My son says I need to run it in 4x4 about once a month to keep it in good shape. Your advice?
  • vinnie4vinnie4 Member Posts: 1
    just got a new `06 frontier king cab xe automatic that is doing what your describing. only does it that first time and then won`t do it again until it has sat for 10 or more minutes. what was the fix and did it work?
  • robert62robert62 Member Posts: 4
    Took my Frontier to a Nissan dealer and they told me that I had the wrong plugs, it had to have NGK's and I had Bosch Platinums. Same with the cap, rotor and plug wires. I thought it was BS, but I changed them anyway...they were right, the shake is completely gone. They also told me that the reason for the SES light and the cyl#2 misfire is that EGR ports 1, 3, and 4 in the intake manifold are clogged. All the recirc gas is being forced into cyl#2. They wanted $475.00 to "see" if they could clean the egr ports, if they couldn't clean them I would have to get a new manifold. I think I will try cleaning them myself. Anyone ever cleaned the egr ports before? If so do you have any tips before I tear into it?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What is the history of oil type used for your Frontier? Mineral or synthetic?
  • robert62robert62 Member Posts: 4
    Its always had Castrol 10W30 mineral.
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    Has anyone heard whether the crew cab Frontier is going to have a sliding rear window available soon? I would like to buy one, but the rear window could be a deal breaker between that and the Toyota.

:confuse:
  • anthracitegreyanthracitegrey Member Posts: 3
    A meticulously maintained truck suddenly shows 3 warning lights at one time: Battery, brake, and A/Transmission fluid temp. I checked the brake fluid and the brake power which are both fine. I checked the transmission fluid, it is also full of pristine colored fluid. This left me suspecting electrical so I pulled the alternator and battery and both tested OK at Napa, although I had noticed the battery had been leaking, so I topped up with distilled water.

Took it for 1 mile drive to test again and the 3 warning lights came on again. I popped the hood to see if there was anything visible and sure enough the battery was bulging along the sides and acid was oozing out through the caps as fast as it could.

Any ideas? I towed trailer for the first time in the truck's life recently and I am worried that something bad happened to the electrical system.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Regarding your '05 Frontier CC with the "engine service" light, it usually indicates something with the engine's emission controls. You're in warranty; won't cost you a dime to have it examined.
  • dougqdougq Member Posts: 2
    I love my pickup, when it is running. My problem is that the distributor has to be replaced every 6 months or so. On the second distributor my mechanic replaced it with a lifetime warranty one. So my third distrubutor did not cost me anything, just very inconvenient. There is no warning and the engine light does not come on, the truck just quits. The mechanic says there is no sign of unusual wear on the teeth of the distributor, and no other electrical problem shows up on their diagnostic equipment. They cannot figure it out. Has anyone seen this problem before, or have a suggestion where to look next? Thanks
  • getitshelleygetitshelley Member Posts: 1
    hard to steer and is all over the road and play inthe wheel at high speeds, anyone else with this problem
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    The 05+ Frontiers have extremely tight steering with almost no "play in the wheel", which takes some getting used to at higher speeds. Your problem reads quite differently than other owners report. The power steering isn't overboosted as on some other brands, hence steering response is very quick - a slight turn of the wheel results in an immediate turn. I've gotten used to it in my '06; some owners report that things improve with some mileage. Others have aired down the tires just a few pounds and found improvement.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    I had 2 in 90's both broke one at 62k other 89k. It is mentioned as a trouble spot on some webb sites. 4 to 500 to fix dealer parts & labor. only real problem rest normal wear, Had high miles on both when I got rid of them. Good basic small truck 94 XE 4x4 5 speed 4 bangers. :D
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Look @ MSN for Reliability reports. 94-95 have same speedometer problem. ;)
  • iskchiskch Member Posts: 4
    I have own Nissan pickups for more than 10 years but the 2002 Frontier 4Cyl, 5 spd manual kingcab w/48K I have found a funny clunk sound. Since I bought it had this clunk that will come once in a while in the suspension. I check and re-check. The dealer didn't have clue. Well, the sound got louder and everytime I turn there was that sound even just seating in the truck. I don't weight more than 180 lbs or more for those of you that think I'm a fat ... I found after several checks that the front bushing nut that holds the sway bar was gone. Nope I don't do Dukes of Hazard jumps nor do I frequent dirt roads with ditches. Most miles are highway miles and the max payload I did with this pick up was 550lbs. My old 1993 king cab have none of this. Be aware. ;)
  • kristokristo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Nissan pick up its running really rich. It doesn’t have this problem all the time only when it gets hot. It will run rich and miss then snap out of it and be fine then back to missing again. I have already changed the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, tps and the fuel pressure regulator. I pulled the codes and now it says the mass air sensor and the air intake temp sensor are bad. What else could it be????
  • minerleagueminerleague Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Saw your post and I have a similar problem that started tonight on a '97 XE 4x4. I have the check engine light, battery light and brake light lit up on the dash. If I rev the engine above 2000 rpm, the brake light and battery light go out. Have you found the problem with yours? I just looked under the hood and saw nothing obvious and will troubleshoot more tomorrow. Any insight would be helpful.
  • kszymczykkszymczyk Member Posts: 1
    same problem with my piece of &*&* frontier. debating wether or not to continue. pretty much replaced whole engine and STILL that light comes on. did you replace the knock sensor and did it work?
  • offroadjayoffroadjay Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2 months ago. Unit has Fabtech lift, wheels and tires, grill guard, Rancho 9000 shocks, air bags, SUPPOSEDLY set up to work in Alberta oilfield. Since delivery, front tires destroyed due to improper alignment, or "settling in" ($500 EACH!), front fender liners have pulled out due to mud clinging as the liners are held in by plastic push pins, tranfer case seal failed due to mud intrusion into seal, box post at end gate separating from floor, King cab doors rattle on gravel, no adjustment available, cabin filter is ineffective.
    Mileage is 10.5 to 12.8 miles/ US gal.
    Dealer continues to be helpful so far, but downtime and week plus wait for service are souring ownership experience.
    Previous truck was Duramax, had less problems than this in entire life of vehicle.
    BEWARE BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!
  • madaketmadaket Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks, I have a 2004 LE with Goodyear Wrangler SRA p265-70r18 tires that need to be replaced as they are worn out.
    Any suggestions for alternate companies or products or is everybody happy replacing with the same?
    Thanks
  • lhuanglhuang Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Not sure you have the ignition problem on your 2005 Frontier. I have Frontier for almost one year and put 12,500 miles on this truck. Last week, I filled 89 gas (well, I usually fill 87 gas), after that, the strange thing happened, the frontier truck need the second ignition to start, which the first ignition is failed. By the way, I live in Dallas, Tx; we had very high temperature wheather here. Could hot whether affect ignition?

Thanks
  • minitigerminitiger Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I just got a 1986 4cyl 4x4 Nissan Truck with the same problem as you mentioned. It "stutter" when it starts from standing still mostly in first gear, and sometimes after shifting to 2nd gear and applying gas. And the truck could jerk significantly. At times when coasting on the 5th gear, the engine could occasionaly loss of power for a quarter second resulting in some unsmoothness or jerking a bit. Otherwise, it's a solid truck with 130,000 miles on it.

I would replace the throttle position sensor as you mentioned. What's more to do??? Thank you the post.

mark
  • ggroup100ggroup100 Member Posts: 1
    the same has happened to me on my 1986 hardbody....both lights work on high beam but only the right works on low beam..I replaced left lamp but that does not fix the problem. Anyone know how?
  • colourscolours Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have been hearing a spark-like noise coming from under my 92 Nissan truck. It's automatic, 4 cylindar, has a converter. I've had the brakes, muffler, left tie rod end, and the bushings on both sway bars in the front replaced, and a wheel alignment done 2 weeks ago. this sound is new since the alignment. It only happens when I step on the gas pedal. As soon as I release my foot from the pedal, the sounds disappears. The sound does not happen every time I step on the gas but 90% of the time. This spark like sound is becoming louder as time goes on, and it does not appear to be a body caused sound.

Can you help?

Thanks
  • newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    2003 SE crew cab. Replaced the stock tires with Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Excellent tire, great traction in any weather. They look great (like an off-road tire), but ride and noise is not bad. i would definitely buy them again.
  • nissandognissandog Member Posts: 2
  • nissandognissandog Member Posts: 2
    Hi all.
    I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier XE manual transmission pickup.

Its been a pretty reliable truck so far.
    Earlier today while driving in San Francisco with its hilly streets, i accidentally accellerated the gas before i had the gear fully into gear. I think i was going from 5th to 4th or 3rd. Speed was @ 35mph.?

Now suddenly whenever i brake, even lightely, my truck is sqealing.
    Its usually a thin, long scratchy squealing sound. But it does it mostly when braking. There is sometimes a very faint squeal when driving (not braking) but barely - its pretty much just when i brake.
    About 75% of the time i brake now today, since the gear shifting mishap - the gear very loudly made a metallic griding sound for @ 3/4 of a second as i accidently accellarated before the gear was fully shifted into place - the truck make a type of sqealing sound.

I hope i havent totally messed up my clutch or transmission or something else very expensive?
    Also, about an hour before the gear mishap, while going @ 60mph on slight downhill street, the brakes shimmied when i applied them like they were hesitant to grip fully. I was told by a mechanic once that brakes just do that on occasion as they are warming up or something? But now with the squealing - Im wondering what has happened to my truck.
    Do i just suddenly need to replace the brakes as it has been probably close to 9 months since theyve been replaced, and i drive everyday, alot. Well, maybe on an average 35 miles a day every day.

Any suggestion, ideas of what might be causing the sudden thin long scratchy squealing sound?
  • tony1958tony1958 Member Posts: 3
    I have 1993 Nissan Kingcab SE V6 4x4 pickup with 220,000 miles on it, and still like it, of course. Been taken care of reasonably well--regular tune-ups, oil changes, and all PM. About 50,000 miles ago the mileage went from 21 mpg to 17.5 mpg and has stayed there. Occasionally it would bounce back up, but not for long. With gas prices continually climbing, I'd like to get it back to over 20 mpg. I've taken the car to the dealer who confirms by some test that it's running rich. He suggested changing the oxygen sensor, but I did that 30,000 miles earlier and it didn't help. I also recently had the thermostat replaced thinking it might be the cause. It didn't help either. I'm not sure what to try now to get the mpg back up. Anyone have any ideas?
  • tholthol Member Posts: 5
    In case this helps...
    I had a similar problem on my 1988 Mazda 323. In my case, the problem was with the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel injection system.

The pressure regulator had failed and the excess fuel pressure from the pump was not been diverted back to the tank. When I measured the fuel pressure, I read 70psi while about 35-40psi was the normal. So this increased fuel pressure caused excessive fuel to be injected every time the computer pulsed the fuel injectors. The computer was probably seeing the mixture being too rich and was thus shortening the pulse to the injectors but apparently with a 70psi fuel pressure even a short pulse was already delivering too much fuel. The computer would sometimes give me an error code for bad oxugen sensor. Do you get any error codes (engine check light)?

In my case when I replaced the fuel pressure regulator everything was fine and my mileage went back up to 37mpg (it had fallen to 22mpg).

So I suggest you measure your fuel pressure to see if it is within spec. If I can remember well I bought a fuel pressure meter for just under $40 a couple of years ago.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    It could because of the Gas has 10% ethenal in it witch witch decress the gas mpg.
  • gkolmangkolman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Frontier XE, 4 Cyl, Manual Transmission.
    I have started to hear a "clatter" sound when starting to drive, especially when in 2nd gear. Kinda sounds like a thin chain clattering against metal.
    I've noticed no jerking, hesitation, or power loss when driving, just the noise. Was thinking it might be the clutch or transmission, but not sure.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
  • moneyman6moneyman6 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier 3.3L S/C; adding a cold air intake gives around 4 mpg and an intercooler can give up to ten mpg. Also after adding cyclone's mpg improver I was getting about 26-28 mpg. I run my engine on full synthetic high torque/high RPM engine oil and have enjoyed the effects. I have done some minor exhaust work and my mileage went down accordingly, along with working on the headers. I am adding an underglow kit here soon when I get the money for it, but with the performance mods my mileage has dropped to 21 or so. Then again I also tuned up the supercharger which close to doubled the output when I changed the throttle body (also adding a throttle body spacer -- which should increase gas about mileage 2 mpg) chandeg out the Air Pressure Reg. and the S/C fan. And probably a week ago I changed out the gearing from the belt to the S/C and am greatly impressed with the output.... though I am nervous about gas mileage.
    Ethanol decreases engine output but not MPG.
    Add a SMALL amount of water to the clutch and drive for the ussual span of time when you hear the noise. the water should add enough lube to the clutch that you will no longer hear the noise... at least for that short period of time. If you do not hear it like you ussually do it is probably the clutch, which you can replace at little cost, or you could add a faster engaging clutch which could increase gas mileage and faster engagement with less stutter. good luck.
    This is something I've not had checked and the mechanic didn't suggest it. I'll call tomorrow and find out. I've never gotten a check engine light with this and the computer has not shown an error code. It's worth checking out though. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • cruarkawdcruarkawd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 pickup and I just bought it.I am only getting 17mpg on the 4cyl.I specifically bought this for the mileage.I also am getting now codes from the check engine light.What should I try.Sorry to hijack your question but I figure its on the same topic.
    Just got a call from the dealership after soliciting their opinion on whether the fuel pressure regulator might be the culprit for the decreased gas mileage. They didn't think so, but wouldn't rule it out. One of the mechanics suggested it might be the Emission Gas Return (EGR) valve that supposedly takes unburned fuel (as vapors, I guess) and returns it to be used again. Certainly not sure I have this right. Any thoughts on whether a malfunctioning EGR valve could cause a decline in gas mileage?
  • erasmussenerasmussen Member Posts: 1
    1998 Frontier XE 4x4 4 cyl. Manual transmission that does not read a charge coming from the alternator. Had the alternator tested at an automotive store and it tested good, but when put back into the vehicle there is still no charge being read at the battery.

The problem arose shortly after I noticed frost on the inside of the windshield and defrosted it, but did not wipe all the water off and some drained down into the dashboard. I then noticed the windsheild wipers were much slower, this went on for a week or about 50 - 75 miles of driving (mostly at daylight) then one day when the truck needed a jump start, realized the alternator must be failing. But like I said earlier, when I pulled it and took it in to be tested, it tested fine and when reinstalled it measured while running a slow but steadily diminishing 12v at the battery posts.

Continuity test show the cables coming off the big terminal on the alternator as good and the ground cable coming off the alternator as good.

Could it be something under the dash? But what?
    The EGR takes the exhaust gas that will no longer burn and recirculates it so that it can be used as displacement in the cylinder. It cuts output of the engine but it increases MPG as you are using less heat in the reaction due to less of an explosion in the cyl.
  • brian_jpbrian_jp Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    When I'm shifting into gears, there seems to be a knock or a "groan" when I'm releasing the clutch. Seems to do it going into every gear. I want to make sure nothing is loose. The clutch doesn't slip when it's fully engaged? Anyone else with this strange noise? I just bought the truck, and I'm trying to make sure everything is good to go.

Thanks,
    Brian
    could just be that you are not used to the clutch... some trucks are louder clutches, too, esspecially if you are used to a car.
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a 2000 Nissan Frontier 4 x 4 that has P275 / 75 / R16 tires on it. The tires are brand new, so the previous owner didn't have them on the truck for long. I don't know if they had that size on before the current set, lets hope not. I was wondering what the short or long term side effects or damage this could cause? The truck only makes a "grinding" sound when the wheel is turned all the way in the left or right direction while going over a bump. I'm thinking that the radius arm is getting pulled on. I'm taking it easy on the truck until I can get the correct size on the truck. Anyone ever had this situation?

Thanks,
    Brian
    My frontier does it with 265 stocks.... dealer put on... it is just a bushing sliding along possibly on the radius arm or another part of the cheap stock steering set up
  • pmcnarypmcnary Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Nismo with 16" wheels. I need a set of steel wheels for my snow tires but Nissan wants $275 each... there appear to be no aftermarket wheels that will fit past the massive front brake caliper. Anyone have a source for these rims?
  • bentsbents Member Posts: 1
    I bought my truck yesterday, and the homely wheels gave me nightmares last night. I am a novice , though, and know nothing about possible upgrades, including possible size changes. The stock wheels are 15" steel. Tire size is 235-75-R15. I would like to retain my tires but to give my truck some dignity with good-looking wheels. I just don't know what options there are. Many thanks.