Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I think you meant to post in Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • hizzoner3hizzoner3 Member Posts: 6
    I need to remove the grill of my 07 Frontier LE. I can release all of the fastners other than what I think, are the lower right & left push in fastners. I can't seem to see how to get to them to press the release clip. Does anyone know how to release these?

• robalorobalo Member Posts: 3
    I removed them on my 07 SE from under the truck. Why are you removing the grille?
    The guy that I bought it from had Nissan install a horizontal bar grill over-lay in the grill and it isn't installed straight plus I don't think I like it.

Can I reach the clips from under the truck like I can from under the hood, behind the grill?

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is an 06 rather than an 07, I miss-typed the message. I assume there the same. :D
  • robalorobalo Member Posts: 3
    I reached up from under the truck and pushed up both of them. I took the Chrome bezel off the grill and have just left the black grill. It looks better but I still feel it looks too busy. I would like to replace with a mesh grill with a chrome trim ring around the border. Have you seen any aftermarket full replacement grills?
    No I haven't seen anything like you described but I can make you a deal on the grill over-lay I removed from my Frontier. It is like the one shown at the following WEB site (http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/product.php?productid=54627&cat=3058&pa- ge=1). After I read your reply I went back out and was able to remove the stock grill and then remove the over-lay. I like the stock black grill better. It fits into the three stock openings and is secured from the back side with special brackets.

Thanks for the help.
  • badboy5080badboy5080 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I had my clutch go out at 13000 miles and the bastards made me pay for it. They said that it was the way I drove, but I told them that I had been driving manual cars for over 15 years and never had a problem. So, they said that it wasn't covered by the warranty.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It is darn difficult to get clutch or brakes fixed under warranty with many dealers and manufacturers. They always blame wear and tear or abuse even when there is a defect as the root cause.
  • smpathy01sesmpathy01se Member Posts: 9
    It's typical to have to replace a battery after 3 or 4 years. I would call this normal maintenance.
  • jmj57jmj57 Member Posts: 3
    Last week a rim on my 2006 Titan broke. The lug nuts and studs stayed in place, but the rim broke. Because the truck was out of warranty (mine had 46K instead of the 36K warranty number), Nissan said I had to pay. They said that rims break. "Sometimes it happens" said the dealer. The regional rep agreed. Any other Nisaan owners have the same issue? Or others have bad customer service issues with Nissan? We currently own 2 Nissans which we bought new that have the same rims..."That sometimes it happens" that the rims break... Good thing mine broke at 10-15 mph and not 60...otherwise I wouldn't be telling you this today.

I'd never buy another Nissan again...

Comments anyone?
  • csprafcspraf Member Posts: 6
    That is a NHTSA issue and possible recall issue .Please report this.
  • kemojrkemojr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Nissan PU that has been a good truck. I recently started having a problem when I start to downshift to go up a hill. I get no power. It's like when I downshift to second I still stay in the higher gear and have no power to go up the hill.
  • mbarderambardera Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into buying a 2002 nissan frontier 3.3L SE. The dealership price is $8990. But it does have 112,965 miles, I thought it I would offer about $8400? Carfax was clean. Any input?
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    For the second time my air conditioner has frozen up on my '09 Frontier SE Crew Cab with 18K miles. It takes place after hours of driving in hot and humid weather common here in the South. I took it to the dealer the first time it happened but they said they could not find anything wrong. They talked to Nissan who said they had not heard of any AC problems with the '09's. I was told to bring it in to the nearest dealer the next time it happened. It has been over a month between episodes and of course when it froze the second time it was Saturday night when everything was closed. Today, after it unfroze, the air conditioner worked fine. I did manage to take some pictures showing the frozen lines which I will take to the dealer tomorrow hoping it may help in the diagnosis. The tech said the last time it happened that the refrigerant level was fine, the pressure was fine and the AC was functioning properly. So what could it be? And has anyone else experienced this?
  • 1951don1951don Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2003 Frontier XE King Cab with 233,000 miles on it. I keep getting a check engine light with a code that says plugged EGR passages. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem? I also have a bent pulley where the A/C belt goes, looks like someone tried to pry it off, dealership wants $212 for a new one, anyone know where I can get a used one cheap? Only paid $3,000 for truck, so I'm on a limited budget since I had to convince the wife to let me buy it in the first place. Thanks to all you Frontier owners!!!
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Please inform me what the correct spark plug socket size would be for a 07 Frontier V-6? Also, I'm thinking that the plugs may be quite difficult to access? What would I need?
    Thanks!
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I think 16mm is the correct size. Torque to 18 FT/LB. You'll need to take the coil packs off to access the plugs -- torque them to 62 *INCH*/LB upon re-installation. Unfortunately two plugs on the passenger side require you to remove the intake manifold to access them. Somewhat of a pain, but nothing too crazy. Just be sure you don't drop anything down the intake plenum. These are 100,000 Mile plugs; your '07 shouldn't need new plugs this soon unless you're looking to swap them out for something else. Good luck in your work.
    I have an '06 and live in the deep south and my AC is fine at 20,000 Miles. I've actually not heard of many AC problems with these trucks. I wish I could help. You might try a different dealer if one is not too far away.
    Thanks, I have a 16mm socket. Actually, I won't be removing the plugs unless absolutely necassary. The change should not be due for another 7 -8 years at this rate.
    Cheers!
    I was thinking about removing my plugs at about 30,000 Miles, putting some anti-seize on the threads and re-installing them. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I can't help but think that removing plugs in an aluminium head for the first time at 100,000 Miles could be difficult. From what I gather, Nissan does not put anti-seize on the threads.
    After driving a few hours last Wednesday my AC froze up again for the third time. It was about 3 PM and I was about 70 miles from the dealership. I called them and told them I was on my way. I arrived, they looked at it, called Nissan North America, completely changed the refrigerant and sent me on the way. According to the service manager, if it freezes up again, they will replace the compressor. We will see how it does as we hit the road in a few for the Fourth of July.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    How can changing the refrigerant stop a compressor lockup? No logic to that. Same with changing ATF on a failing trans. Something my Nissan dealer did as my trans was failing. Luckily it happened at 35K miles just before the warranty was up.
    This is getting boring. AC froze up a fourth time. Called the local dealership who called Nissan North America. NNA told them to replace the compressor. Component should arrive this AM and hopefully be installed today. Maybe this will fix it. Otherwise no problems with the truck now at 20K miles.
    And the beat goes on as Sonny and Cher sang. Nissan replaced the compressor on my 09 Frontier AC yesterday. Took about three hours. I drove off and made an extended drive to my sons. Had dinner and drove the 100 miles home. The AC froze up again at the approx 60 mile mark. Called the dealership this AM and have another appointment for Monday morning. Whoopee. Appointment number five. This is getting ridiculous but I'll keep posting developments in this "Never ending story."
    Ever considered going to another dealer? Don't make much sense to return to an incompetent service department, that is, assuming you value your time.
    It isn't the dealership, it is Nissan North America. Apparently the dealer cannot maintain a large stock list of parts anymore and also must contact Nissan NA for guidance on what to do for warranty service. Sort of like a health care plan. At least that is how they explained it to me. Took the truck in today. They called Nissan who said to order the remaining parts, expansion valve and sensor, which are the only things that have not been replaced. I am confident this time it will fix it as I will have a complete new AC system. Only six visits required!
    When you state,
    "The AC froze up again at the approx 60 mile mark."
    What exactly happens to freeze up?
    I'm not an auto mechanic so bear with me; after driving about 60 miles the air coming out of the vents begins to lessen in volume and the coolness becomes luke warm then matching outside air temperature. When this has happened I have stopped, opened the hood and the air conditioning system tubes/pipes are covered with frost. That is what is taking place when I say it is freezing up. Do you have a suggestion?
    There are basically three reasons why your unit would freeze up.

-Low refrigerant
    -Insufficient airflow
    -Ambient temperature too low

My guess would be the first one. You probably have a leak somewhere that they can't find so they keep changing parts and hopefully will eventually solve the problem. Not exactly the most efficient way.
    It is now Monday. Last Friday the dealership put the last piece, the expansion valve, on my 09 Frontier to fix my freezing AC problem. I've deliberately driven over 300 miles this past weekend to test the system. So far so good. After six visits to the dealership and working with Nissan North America my system now seems to be functioning perfectly. Maybe the sixth time is a charm and hopefully this will be my last post on this subject.
  • ag58ag58 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Frontier tailgate latch has stopped working. Is this hard to fix for a do-it-yourselfer?
    Is this hard to fix for a do-it-yourselfer?

Nope. Just open it up and look inside to see where it disconnected.
  • nickc1973nickc1973 Member Posts: 1
    Exhaust fell off, a/c broke, steering wheel almost came completely off, now gas gauge doesn't work??? All this and more at 38,000 miles, right when the warranty ended. By far the worst truck I ever owned (I 've had 2 ford rangers, ford f-150, toyota tacoma, nissan frontier, chevy s10) S10 and nissan are tied for worst!!!! Ford ranger amazingly reliable low maintenance truck. Thousands of complaints about the fuel level sensor err code P0643, yet no recall??????? I've had 3 recalls already. This truck sucks, what a dissappointment.
  • passinthruherepassinthruhere Member Posts: 2
    Hope you have it repaired by now. If not, it is a $56 item at any Nissan dealer.
  • passinthruherepassinthruhere Member Posts: 2
    Man, you must have got the Friday truck of all Friday trucks. I have 233,000 miles on mine with only regular maintenance (oil change, lube jobs and tune-ups) and I expect it will still be going strong in another quarter million miles. Usual load is a Caterpillar transmission, tractor tires, and many other commercial parts. Good luck with yours.
  • bpb1bpb1 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was the only one having the same problems. form day one my fuel gauge didn't work correctly,it should have been a recall. by steering column also broke after 5000 mi. there is hardly any adjustment for the front end alignment and a camber kit was required. my truck is at the dealer now having the air conditioner compressor,catalytic converter,fuel gauge sending unit replaced not to mention a new transmission last month. $5600.00 in repairs.Great Truck!!!!!
    I've had one small bug: one of the cab mounts got twisted around somehow. Had it replaced, a couple hours in the shop, paid for under warranty.
    Pleased to this point.
  • titan8titan8 Member Posts: 41
    Hello I have a 2004 titan and installed a soft tonneau cover that has the utili track system The manufacture is Truxedo, rolls up very easy, very easy to install. Highly recommend not getting the hard cover for this will limit you putting anything big inside the bed.
  • jbroethjbroeth Member Posts: 1
    I installed a Pioneer Navigation/Audio/Video receiver in my '04 Nissan Frontier a few weeks ago. Installation went without a hitch. It has dvd, gps nav, blue tooth phone, rear view camera, cd/mp3 and everything else audio. Also installed head liner monitor for the girls to watch movies thru receiver. Frontier also had a remote starting system installed about a year ago at an audio/video retailer and installation store. Did not touch or modify that in anyway. Anyway, only problem I have now is that I don't have illumination to the gauges. I double and triple check all the wiring to the receiver (including the "illumination" connection), all of the fuses, twice (under dash and hood). Wife noticed the smell of wires burning. Found that the illumination dimmer switch had burned and melted and is completely destroyed. I replaced the switch. Checking and replacing any damaged wiring first of course. Checked the voltage to the wires with voltmeter and replaced switch with aftermarket switch. Power is going to new switch but still no gauge lighting.
    Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know how to correct this problem? Is there something I still have overlooked? Thank you for your interest and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jim :confuse:
    Jim, read your message, I had this problem on my other truck I once had--Dodge ram--but never less--I now have titan 2004 crew cab--anyways, In back of the gauges there is a small pc board that carries LOW voltage to the lights, If one line is burnt your gauges wont light up. Also look at your OLD switch and to see if it has any diodes,resistors built in the switch, some after market parts are totally not the same, Try always to get electrical parts from the dealer--I learned the hard way going the cheaper way and getting burnt myself. In back of your owners manual order the manual that the dealer uses to fix your truck, it shows everything you need to know plus more! Hope this helped you.
  • suzyq2005suzyq2005 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Nissan I am having transmission problems from the radiator leaking into my transmission. I'm waiting to see if Nissan will take care of it.
  • jack_coljack_col Member Posts: 1
    Hello SuzyQ
    About 2 months ago I noticed that my heat would not warm up in my 2005 Nissan Frontier. I just hit 99k and I thought I had a thermostat issue however my local certified Nissan Dealer tells me different. They told me I have antifreeze in my transmission fluid. I was also told that one of the cooliant lines from the radiator probably has a crack in it and my transmission will soon go. I am starting to notice a little thump sound when I put the vehicle in gear. The Nissan dealer told me it would cost $3600 just for the radiator and new transmission. I know a guy that does transmissions and he said trans are expensive for these vehicles, so we are searching for a low mileage tran, its been 2 weeks and there doesnt seem to be anything available. The Nissan Dealer kind of slipped up when I asked how did you know to look at my transmission, and she said "oh we have been seeing alot of these lately". I asked: so you are seeing this in Frontiers and she said "no many different Nissan models with the same issue, it usually starts with the heat going out." So you may see your heat go out next. It apppears we are in the same boat here, and I would definitely like to stay in touch with you. Due to the age of the vehicle I will be surprised if you can get Nissan to pay for this. Let me know how you make out. Thanks
  • ecalonoecalono Member Posts: 1
    if anyones willing to read this; what type of oil can be used for a nissan frontier 2003 supercharged ?
    I have 2004 titan truck I am using full SYNTHETIC OIL, you can also use the same, Look on the oil filler cap of what grade you can use,SYNTHETIC oil is the best you can ever use.I am using AMSOIL FULL SYNTHETIC OIL, that gives you 25,000 miles or one full year change over. HOPE this helps you out.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    My 86 nissan 2.4 has a shaky idle. When its cold and after it warms up. At stop signs or red lights the trucks idle is shaky. I give it gas to keep it from going dead which it does if I don't keep giving it gas. It's had a tune up : plugs, rotor button dist. cap and fuel filter. Any suggestions? This truck does not have a check engine light and the computer codes are wiped clean once the truck has been cranked 50 times. Also what brake pads and shoes have you used that is quiet and efficient and long lasting???Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Have you checked vacuum lines that maybe leaking, causing the engine to run rough? If you hit the gas pedal real fast and let off quickly does the engine respond and NO back fire, Check your compression on each cylinder, Also you may have a bad spark plug wire,which you did not mention in your tune up.Brakes use semi metallic brake pads,and shoes, you wont go wrong with them.They last long and dont wear out the rotors and drums like ceramic pads and shoes do.
    . Also what brake pads and shoes have you used that is quiet and efficient and long lasting???

Raybestos.

Don't know about anyone else but I switched to ceramics on my '91 with no rotor issues. Also switched to ceramics on my '05 Titan at 300 miles cause I couldn't stand all that black dust. Now at 60K miles and no rotor issues. (never had the recall done either) seems the solution to the warping rotors was replacing with ceramics as they generate far less heat than the semi metallic.
    ceramic pads will wear out the rotors little more than semi metallic pads will.I have 2004 titan and changed all rotors to the drilled out holes and slotted and this was the best thing I did, BREMBO ROTORS is what i have on this truck.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    Thanks for all the replies. The compression had already been checked and all were fine. Most of the vacuum hoses were changed out about 5 years ago. I rechecked the vacuum hoses and they appeared fine. I changed the spark plug wires and that MAY have helped but I think the real problem was the hot air duct is very old and fragile and was not connected to the exhaust. I reconnected it and now it seems to be running better during the warm daylight hours and I'll have to crank it up early A.M. to see how it runs when the temps are cold. Where can I order a new hot air duct?? It must be made out of some very fragile material because its falling apart. :D :shades:
  • 4x4codger4x4codger Member Posts: 2
    This knock sensor thing could be a false reading. My mechanic had the same reading, but further investigation revealed a sluggish thermostat was causing the light to come on. Replaced thermostat and now everything is OK