Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• caddycatgirlcaddycatgirl Member Posts: 3
    I was driving on the freeway last night and my check engine light started blinking, I could not accelerate. Like it wanted to a tiny bit when I pressed on the gas but it just couldn't. I pulled off on an exit ramp. Looking at the Caddy my Serpintine belt is slightly shredded, but not completely off yet. All of the pullys turn when you try to crank the engine and turn in on but the car does not turn over. When the belt started to shred is there a possibility that it knocked something loose on my intake? or messed something else up? Or is there another problem? Giving it gas doesn't help, and my battery life isn't low. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on what I can check/do to figure out what is wrong with my car? :cry:
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Member Posts: 1,151
    So you have an 01? I was beginning to think, I had the only 01.

Blinking is the first sign of the computer warning you. About how many miles do you have on this Catera? How long ago, if ever, did you replace the crank position sensor/mass air flow? Did you leave it on the side of the road? Were you not worried about being abducted by aliens?
    240,000 I just bought it in May. Had it checked out multiple times and it was kept in mint shape. The engine isn't knocking at all. I did get it to start up momentarily the night I was stranded. It ran rough and the belts were whining like hell. I am not sure on the CPS sensor..but I've been scanning the threads and that seems to be the answer everyone gives to Catera owners. Oh your tire blew? Change the CPS sensor lol. And it's quite funny, I was stranded by an Airforce base and had to walk a few miles in pitch dark to get to a payphone. So YES I was lmao. Yes I left it there for the moment. It was 2am by the time someone came to rescue me.
    CPS or mass air flow. I have an extra mass air flow if you care to test it. The idler/tensioner on the serpintine belt or maybe the idler/tensioner on the timing belt. Them air force dudes should fix it for you. Are you wearing Nike Air Force 1 ???
    What part of Dallas???
  • dgawdgaw Member Posts: 6
    oakcilff
  • justmelordjustmelord Member Posts: 2
    1999 Cadillac Catera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

This car was recently serviced because of a bad crank positioning sensor and Mass Airflow sensor (check engine light came on). Replaced both and car was fine... light went out.... 2 months later coolant light came on, coolant level is fine and the car is not over heating.... 2 days after coolant light came on ALL the warning lights came on... TCS,ABS,Check Engine etc. It looks like a x-mas tree! The speedometer and odometer now work intermittently, the power steering comes and goes... Speedo working= power steering working= 1/2 the dash lights go off.... then it starts all over again. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem???? ECM, BCM, Can all the sensors go bad at the same time?
  • jairekjairek Member Posts: 11
    when i come to a stop really fast the front end shifts right and the steering has to go the other way just to keep my 97 cadillac catera from hitting something what does this would it be the tie rods cause i lifted the car up the other day and it felt like the tie rods you could move them back in forth pretty easily is that the reason ? it pulls to the right really hard
    it didn't seem to work at all just made it idle worse do you think it'd mabey be the iac cause when i unplug that it doesn't even seem to do anything different
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    If the tie rods are messed up you would have alot of free play in the steering wheel (assuming the tie rods aren't bent). In other words you should start up the car and see if the steering wheel moves much distance without actually turning the wheels. That is steering wheel play. It could also be caused by a brake problem or an alignment problem.
    well it seems like the Left driver tire it like moves when i steer it to the right like something is loose or when im driving you can hear like a rattling noise then i drive over bumps and that tire seems to bounce alot more then the other one like something is disconnected
    i Just installed my new iac i got and it idles alot lower and when i unplug it idles high but it idles around 600 but it seems to still hesitate when i press the gas are these signs of a bad mass airflow :confuse: :confuse:
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    Hi guys do anyone know if the IAC has anything to do with the hig revs at idel :confuse:
  • ministerdavisministerdavis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 with 108K, the radio played fine for the first six months of ownership. Now it will come on if the it feels like it, i never llost any other function in the car; only the radio. What should I do?
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like the relay board. I had the same problem a year ago. (you can search for my previous post).
    How would i check the tranny fluid if it'll just pour out the service hole if its full when off does it have to be running to check it Because it feels like its sliping when im going up hill i give it gas and it doesn't want to kick down and sometimes it will :confuse:
    Yea there's a site called www.Carcabin.com they sell them used for 75 and i got one and it stopped my high idle
  • country2country2 Member Posts: 26
    there was a post here while back that said when that happens you need to replace GM part number 90494163 and it is up behind the steering while. My radio had done that since the first day but I haven't fixed it yet. My cd player quit to but I think it is just shot. The post is on this site somewhere if you check back a few posts.
    Anyone from around the Dallas are are welcome to parts off my 2001 Catera. Since its getting crushed soon. Monday I'll turn it in to the dealer. The dealership says I'm welcomed to parts.
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    I'm in Norfolk virginia but I have a 2000 caters is there anyway i can pay for you to ship the headlights to me if they are still good shape mine are all fogged up
    These are all scratched up, not fogged up. However, there is some product/service out there which addresses that issue.
    what about the 02 sensors, coolant overflow bottle,window switches I live in dallas so let me know
    what color is your catera
  • thirdcoastredothirdcoastredo Member Posts: 3
    do you still have this car?
    tom
  • thirdcoastredothirdcoastredo Member Posts: 3
    need a/c fans front of car
  • 01catera01catera Member Posts: 1
    My daughter was driving her 01 catera about 45 miles per hour and it stopped running. We had it towed home and pulled the codes off of it. The 1st code said miss fire, the 2nd code said camshaft position sensor. I replaced the camshaft position sensor, it did not start. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, it did not start. I checked to see if it was getting fuel, it is. I checked the ignition control modules to see if there was spark, there is. I checked to see if the timing belt was broke, it is not. The camshaft is rotating when the engine cranks. I do have a backfire in he motor while cranking it every once in a while. Can anyone help me with this?
  • flyfishcameraflyfishcamera Member Posts: 1
    Radio, trunk relay, fuel door relay and electric door locks will not work at all unless the windshield wipers are turned on. Anyone have an idea of what's wrong. I hate to take it to the dealership and have them over-quote a simple solution. I have checked all of the various fuses and everything seems to be OK. Thanks for the assistance.
  • tommyj04tommyj04 Member Posts: 3
    Well first off my climate control display went dead. The when driving to work I noticed that when I start my car the daytime running lights automatically kick over to head lights as soon as u start the car. I am not sure where even start looking for a problem as for now I am following my auto guys advice and starting with the relays. But any advice would be much appreciated. Oh and my fog lights have not worked for over a year when I first purchased the car as my interior lamps. :confuse:
    I have actually heard of this problem from another forum, the mechanic (and yes hes a mechanic) said to trace the windshield sprayer wiring for shorts and etc. And to make sure I even asked him if he was kidding and he was not. Hope it helps.
    is there any other type of tie rods i can use off another car for my cadi catera 97 because im trying to get them for cheap. :confuse:
    Well honestly there are other models like alot of BMWs that have the same parts but as far as tie rods I would probably buy them new or try a junk yard. There really is no cheap alternative. Sorry but I have looked for alot of parts cheaper and no luck so far. Try going to the cadillac web site and looking at there forum. There u can compair alot of parts against other cars to see what will work. Good hunting.
  • melanie13melanie13 Member Posts: 5
    I;m having the same problem !!! what have you found out?
    I also have the same make and model.

A blonde in New Jersey LOL
    melanie

I also had the crank shaft sensor replaced right before this all started !!!!
    How many miles on the Catera?
    Its a gold catera at Huffines in Lewisville. They said that it would be crushed and that I was welcomed to the parts. I was going to take the Bose and seats out. However, I'm working long hours.
    I also have the same make and model.

You are certainly blonde..........LOL
    Go to Yahoo groups and join the Catera group if you want files and advise. Thake the advise for what its worth, its free. You can send off the ABS/traction control module for rebuild. However, you may have to replace the converters in the near future too. Then they also suggest the timing belt be replaced at 100K.

good luck
    I'm thinking it's time for a new vehicle......maybe a Jeep unlimited.
    if you find out what the catera problem is...please let me know.
    First problem was I bought it ! LOL
    I got the Subaru Legacy via the cash for clunkers program. Hated to get rid of my Catera, it had 99K, but looked nearly new. Never had too many problems. Just on battery, one coolant over flow tank, one crank position sensor, a mass air flow, and one heater control valve. Stayed away from the dealer when I could. Unfortunately when the coolant overflow ruptured, my battery died too. Needless to say the dealer raped me. $300 for the battery and $700 total. Got it in 05 with 5K miles and drove it like I stole it. If only that car could talk......................LOL

The above are common to the Catera as well as the converters going out. The early years were also plagued with oil coolers bursting in the engine coolant. You might look into if the dealer has any recalls for the timing belt/oill cooler. Give them your VIN and have them run it.
    A repost

GM part number 90494163

K134 location:

Remove the trim panel from below the steering wheel.
    Remove the black vinyl covered insert that is underneath that.
    With a flashlight, lay on your back head next to the pedals and look
    up
    and to the right, over by the fender.
    Gray box just above smaller red box.
    Twist the gray box slightly clockwise and pull up.
    It should pop off it's mount.
    Now remove the wiring harness plug.
    So my serpentine is def shredded but turns out my timing belt went. I was asked by my mechanic if I wanted to replace the whole engine or try to just fix the timing belt and hope that it works...What should I do? If there is a chance for me to replace the timing belt and it works I won't be spending so much..I am at a loss for what to do!? HELP PLEASE any info would be appreciated..
    i was wondering if i could use the upper thrust arm bushings from a bmw for my front controller arms on my 97 cadillac catera or do i just use the ones from the controller arms off the bmw cause they all are cheap and look the right size to me
    You might have hit the valves when the timing belt broke. If so your going to have to spend some money. How many miles did you have? Have you ever hed the timing belt changed?

While changing a timing belt its a good idea to get the water pump. Then too the serpentine belt. Then while your there ............... thats running into money...then you add to that the possibility that you might need motor work. talk to a dealer and see if you can get into the cash for clunkers deal. Have you owned and insured the Catera for the prior year? If so you may consider new wheels.

Peace and good luck
    I believe that the Catera uses a hydro bushing???? BMW might well use the same. I know the use the same transmission on some 3 and 5 series, made by GM of France.
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    I just had the timing belt, tensioners, and pully changed. When I went to pick up the car, the car would not start. ... They did a jump start, then it was OK, other than the check engine light being on. They reset that, and the oil light came on, and has been on most of the time since. They did not have time to check it out other than to check the oil level. Oil level is fine. Any ideas?
  • nogm4menogm4me Member Posts: 13
    By " upper " thrust arm bushings, do you mean forward, or, horizontal? I had been to another forum where there is a poster with a BMW swap for what was the front
    or horizontal bushing of the front control arm. He had listed BMW part nos. But, I
    also required ball joints. When I went to my suspension shop for advice they recommended a pre-assembled control arm since he was certain he would deform the current control arm pushing the old ones out. For the Catera this is a good
    plan and in some cases less expensive. It's an R & R. Midwest Auto Parts has
    some L & R Catera control arms left for around $215 ea. and that is what I did on
    my '97 Cat at 140k miles. Put Michelin Pilots on the front and now I can
    slalom like nobody's business. I don't post often, but I do try to help those in need.
  • nogm4menogm4me Member Posts: 13
    Re: the 01 Catera with engine stall/ won't start, You didn't mention anything about mileage but I will tell that age will euchre the ignition coil pack. The yrs 97 - 99 were
    of dubious quality and suspect the yrs 00 - 04 even worse. Changing them at 50k
    miles would not be unheard of. The key word is " miss fire " usually at cyl #4 but it
    is time for that ignition tune up anyway. Think about high voltage wires as well. Good news is replacement part prices are on their way down. I use the Bosch 4 electrode spark plugs as well. Very smooth, good mileage and acceleration, and of course,..a new coil pack. About $300 for all items. Plugs, wires, coils. Shop hard.
    well this is my last catera message...the old gal served me well. but in the last year i replaced all four rotors,brakes,tires, head gasket, had an oil leak from hell. i also have the crank shaft position sensor go..then this month the abs and traction light came on. and the check engine light, power steering started to mess up and become tight when the lights came and went at will. my dash looked like a flipping xmas tree. SOOOO I took advantage of the clunker deal and just bought a brand new eclipse ......So my catera friends thanks for all your help and good luck !
  • gmscamgmscam Member Posts: 7
    GM won't honor special bulletin or recalls. I haven't been as lucky as most of you. I am the original owner of cadillacs abortion the 98 catera with only 20,654 miles on it when the timing belt, pully tensioners failed. GM has refused to repair the damaged to the engine (special bulletin 02018) and charged me $1146.71 for the recalled parts Knowing full well it wouldn't repair the vehicle. Thier position now is the recall was only to look at the recalled parts not change them and or the car is to old to honor the open recall that I was never notified about no matter how many times it was at the dealer, 6 batteries in 5 years, sensors, rusting after 2 years, etc. etc. including this time. But they did do my the favor of not charging for the coolant pump, hummmmm recall 02041,02018 is to old to honor but the coolant pump isn't! Ok so now I have a new coolant pump and tensioner pully on a car that will not run and they want $6300 to repair it when the car is only worth $2-4000K running. I will never buy another GM to support their executives jet lifestyle :mad: when they stick the comsumer with clunkers.
  • gmscamgmscam Member Posts: 7
    I wasn't as lucky as most of you, I am the orginal owner of GM's 98 catera abortion paid $36,000 cash. I only have 20,654 miles when the tenionser pully & timming belt failed. low miliage yes, 2nd vehicle and only use it for local shopping trips maybe 5 miles a day average. Was Never notified about recalls no matter how many times it was in the dealer for all the nonsense repairs all of you have experienced while under manf. warrenty and 4 year extended. 6 batteries the first 5 years, oxogine sensors etc. etc. but the best was when it was rusting from the inside out after 2 years,When I tried to trade it then they offered me 10K, said it's all it's worth as it's rusting Daaaaa :lemon: so 9 months in arbitration they finally decided to repaint and reseal the undercoat. OK so now the engine is completely distroyed :sick: when the tenioner & belt failed and they are refusing to honor the recall # 02041 or special policy bulletin # 02018 to repair all damage to the engine caused by the failer of recalled part's. Then charge me $1146.71 for the Recalled parts knowing it would never repair the vehicle saying the Recall was only to look at the parts not change them, and sorry but the car is to old to honor any open Recall, But did me a favor and didn't charge me for the coolant pump as it was included in the recall. Huh :confuse: the collant punp was still covered under the recall but the Tensioner Pully & Belt isn't? This is a Know defect that would distrroy the engine even if the parts were replaced several times additional bulletins and GM is worming out of their responsibility. :P And expect me to pay $6300 to get it running when the depressiation is so bad it is only worth 2-4K running and why they only producted this piece of junk for 5 years, unfortunately for me it took this long for it to fail only because of my low millage use. I don't care how old my car is it only has 20,654 miles on it bearely broken in, timing belt & tenionser pully" do not fail for 70,000-100,000 but in the catera at 40-50, 000 and in my case 20,654 miles unless it's defective, GM know's this and Will not own up to thier mistakes, guess they need the money more to support the executives jet setting lifestyle than standing behind their products. I will never own another GM product again, am going to sell my vette which has been a sweet ride and trouble free for anything but a GM made product. GM should fail the same way their products do. :lemon:
  • bumx100bumx100 Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 2000 CATERA AND MY SPORT MODE FLASHES WHILE IM DRIVING AND THE CAR WILL GO INTO SAFE MODE BUT WILL WORK FINE IF I SHUT IT OFF AND RESTART IT. DID YOU FIND A SOLUTION FOR YOUR PROBLEM?