Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please report any Catera problems and possible solutions here.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• catera1998dcatera1998d Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1998 Catera which I adore everyday I drive it. One problem is the transmission seems to "bump" when going from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, but never 3rd to 4th. Is this normal as it is a sporty car? My 1997 Saturn SC2 automatic shifted much smoother. Also how hard is it to change to cabin compartment air filter?
  • catera1998dcatera1998d Member Posts: 10
    Is a brake job terribly hard to do on a Catera? My 1998 Catera needed brakes at an astonishing 36,000 miles, not one of my previous 6 cars needed them so early, but ok I have no real choice. The dealer wanted $400, a local shop wanted $130....I went for $130. The first time out of the gate he put on the front pads WITHOUT the sensors....I went back and the second time her said he had a problem finding the pads, but when he does they will be $140 from the dealer. Is this right $140?? for pads?
  • danieltigerdanieltiger Member Posts: 7
    I replaced the brakes on my previous Catera, a 97, and the dealer charged me $400, at about 30,000 miles. I now have a 2000 and I presume the cost will be the same. I'm at 25,000 miles now and will be needing tires soon.
  • catman8catman8 Member Posts: 1
    I notice that danieltiger plans replacing tires at about the same mileage that it appears I will have to at <30k. Any recommendations as to how to increase the mileage: tire brand, type, etc.?
  • alex80alex80 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone noticed that the AC on your Catera does not perform very well. Our 2000 model does ok when the sun is not so bright and the outside temperature is below 85F. When it is 90F and sunny, the AC can't seem to keep the car cool. This is with the setting at 60F (lowest possible). We have taken it to the dealership twice and they say that all is functioning well. I can only assume that it is undersized. I noticed that the 2001 model added tinted windows as standard equippment. Any insight?
  • johnfaderjohnfader Member Posts: 1
    I've posted this question in "Sedans" before I found this segment of the board. I hope someone here has performed this replacement herself.

Aside from the tensioner and the belt, are there other parts required to do the job?

Thanks a zillion/John Fader
    ToobWiz(at sign)aol.com
    change (at sign)to @ to send private email.
  • john347john347 Member Posts: 1
    My tensioner broke during May 2002. Since dealer supposedly replaced tensioner, timing belt, and water pump -- car has not been the same. It has had coolant leaks, rough idle -squeal, and dealer refuses to give repair order after last repair. If you have had these problems, let me know. Apparently, there is either a manufacturer's defect or defects in the repair or both? IS there any pending class action on this? My vehicle broke down on highway and it was a dangerous situation. My vehicle is unsafe and it's a shame since it was a great vehicle until May- tensioner problem. Suggestions please...
  • danieltigerdanieltiger Member Posts: 7
    Yes, we did notice that the AC on the Catera could have been better, especially in Florida with our high humidity, scorching sun and 95 degree temp. We just traded ours in on a big GM car whose AC is perfect. I loved to drive the Catera 2000, but, we were just too afraid to keep it - too many coolant and battery problems. It was a great car even though it was underpowered. What a shame it had all those problems.
  • yean99yean99 Member Posts: 1
    GM HAS EXTENDED THE WARRANTY FOR TIMMING BELT PULLEY AND TENSIONER FOR 97 AND 98 CATERAS TO 7 YEARS OR 100000 MILES.
  • jenkins5164jenkins5164 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Catera Timing Belt just failed at 82,000 miles, with major engine damage. GM is not helping out, claiming that the timing belt didn't fail, but a bearing in the tensioner failed. Some messages refer to extended warranties; others suggest class action. Please let me know about either.
  • tommeektommeek Member Posts: 3
    GM Special Policy Bulletin 02018 states GM will repair for 7 years/100,000 miles any failure related to the timing belt tensioner, timing belt and/or water pump and related engine damage. The bulletin includes special telephone numbers for owners to contact who have had this problem. The bulletin is available for printing and review at the Yahoo Catera Owners Group.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could light your dashboard with flashlight batteries. Even a near dead car battery could do that.
  • coleman_lotcoleman_lot Member Posts: 1
    I need some suggestion on the AC. I have a 97 Catera. For some reason my AC went dead. There is no power in the controller at all. None of the button on the controller work nor the digital display. It seem that the seat heater went bad also. It may be the same controller went bad on it. Anyone have this problem before? I am thinking of the fuses blown somewhere. Anyone have this type of symptom before or anyone have any ideas what may go wrong with it? I would appreciate your information if you can give me some suggestion. You may email me with suggestion if you please: coleman_lot@msn.com. Thank you very much.
  • thedunksterthedunkster Member Posts: 1
    3 out of 4 oxygen sensors out and a PRNDL switch on my 1997 Catera. I was forced to buy the PRNDL switch at the dealer for $300. A local mechanic will install for $50. However, I lucked out on the Oxygen Sensors. Dealer wanted $150 ea. But I was able to locate them for $40 ea. I will be installing them this weekend and let the discussion board know how it went. If all goes well, it will save me in excess of $450.

This car is like owning my Harley. Love the ride, hate the maintenance.
  • jklucherjklucher Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1998 Cadillac Catera which when my tires wore out prematurely, Cad replaced all 4 and said alighment problems. Now I have 2001 Cad Catera with basically the same problems and GM denies the problem. What to do? Thanks---John Klucher
  • bwitchbwitch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Catera and I experienced a similar problem last year. The solution turned out to be a switch that ran 300+.
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    The recommended service interval on those V6s in their Saab and Opel applications outside the US (and the Catera is an Opel) is ~45K miles for belt and tensioner replacement.

I have no idea what genius at Cadillac decided to tempt fate by recommending something different for Cateras.
  • opel_cateraopel_catera Member Posts: 1
    I have just developed a oil leak that the dealer has informed me is coming from the back of the valve cover. He has also informed me that I should not just change the valve cover gasket, BUT should change the valve covers also since they are plastic and once taken off they don't reseat well. I really don't understand this. Why would someone design a car that once you take something off you need to have it replaced. The cost to do this is $400.00. Then he says that since you have the car broken down that far I should replace some type of heater exchange valve since they have been known to fail and he was surprize that mine had not failed yet.
    I would like to know if someone knows if you overfill the oil how the car acts and where the overfill goes.
    I had an Ople Omega overseas and did not have any problems with this car for the five years I owned it. Why dose GM take a good thing and the screw it up? Leave a good thing alone. Hope someone can help.
    Thanks
  • peachy2peachy2 Member Posts: 2
    am looking at a 2001 Catera, non sport, and wondering how well the tractions control really does. can anyone share their experience? i originally went shopping for a FWD but i love this car. the dealer 'say's their is no maintenance record. i suppose i should ask to see that. by brother inspected it and saw all the problems you all talk about, so they agreed to replace rotors and pads, new oilpan, among other things for $16,000. it has 34,000 miles and fits me well. also noticed the coolant was low as i saw mentioned. it's a FUN ride! but worried after reading reviews and boards.
    any info on how it handles in the snow it appreciated as IL can have some nasty winters.
    peachy2 ☺
  • mbhenrymbhenry Member Posts: 1
    WE just traded our 1998 catera for a Deville DTS.
    Tha Catera was a service nightmare!!!! 2 sunroofs, head gaskets, shifter linkage, etc...
    Had the car in 5 to 8 times a year. NOw has 80000 on it. Cadillac would not even repay me for out of pocket on the timming belt!!!!
    Only thing good about the car was the ride and performance.
    Mike
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    We've had 4 Catera's: 97, 99, and two 01's. Except for the 99 they were generally trouble free but, we do take good care of our cars. We leased all of them except one of the 01's. The car is fun to drive, sounds good, goes fast and is all too easy to get a ticket in. The only thing we don't like is the depreciation (We're having little success getting a dealer to offer more than 10K on a trade). Also, the OEM Goodyear Eagle's track & tend to wear out at about 25,000 miles. Bridgestone Turanza's are a better (but expensive)alternative on this car--quiet, sticky and no tracking. You need to keep the tires rotated & balanced. AND get the front & rear alignment checked every 12,000 miles. There were some lemons and Cadillac's recommended service interval on some components under the hood was way off track which led to a lot of bad feelings. Insist on seeing the service records. You can get a lot of car for the dollar, if you find one with a good history and reasonable miles.
  • dhulboydhulboy Member Posts: 2
    Any one else have leaky cam covers ? Are gaskets available from anyone other than a GM dealer ? Anyone successfully replace gaskets without replacing the cam cover as well ?
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    My wife has a 99 catera sport. We have had to put two headlight bulbs in it and thats it. We do have a SLOOOOOW oil leak in the rear main seal. That will cost SEVERAL hunderd dollars. the only way to fix it is to take the transmission out. The dealer told me it is not common to develop a rear main leak in ANY cadillac, just check the iol every 500 miles or so. So far it has never leaked any noteable amount. so I guess I will just let it drip a little here and there. We have been trying to sell it for about a year not it's got 63k on it. The only bites we've had are people that want us to finance it. we are upside down as far as trade in goes, we owe about 10,300 but we should be able to get that retail for it.
  • browncowbrowncow Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone with a '98 Catera had the problem of the oil light coming on when it gets hot and the buzzer going off and no oil is needed?
    I had it diagnosed and was told that I have a faulty oil pump which will cost about $1,200 to repair. Does any owner know if this is correct, or maybe I just have an oil sensor that has gone bad?

Also, about 15,000 miles back (85 + now) I had to have value gaskets replaced. I noticed leak and thought it was where mechanics were spilling oil. When asked on survey form what dealer did wrong, I replied that 3 oil changes back they should have noticed the leak. I found it after having my engine cleaned and leak reappeared.
    Re transmission, I have a 98 Catera and ever since I've had it, it sounds and acts as if the transmission is hanging when I first take off, and I don't have my foot exactly right on the accelerator, and its trying to change gears. I inquired about this and was told there was nothing wrong with it. I now have 87,000+ miles and sometimes I notice the gearstick shaking just a little bit.
    Concerning cost for brakes. I had to have brakes done and rotors on the front at 86,000+ and the cost was a little over $600 at dealers.
    My cousin heard a roaring and called my attention to the fact that it was my brakes. After that, no roaring sound. I thought it was a high price to pay, but at least I didn't have to go back again.
    From your account, I think I got a fairly good deal for brakes and front rotors on my 98 catera at 86,000+ miles, at a little over $600.
  • pberkpberk Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. Was thinking of buying my dad's 2000 Catera. He is offering it to me at a good price, but was just up having the oil changed on my wife's car, and my mechanic said to stay away from the Catera. His experience was that parts were hard to get, and even the dealers didn't like fixing them. However, some of your postings on here sing praises for the car. More feedback from all of you would be great!
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought a 2001 Catera new for my wife. we absolutely love it! It has that tight,snubbed-down feeling typical of German sedans. It's actually a little flinty for my wife,but she knows what a car nut I am and tolerates it. I'd definately keep the Catera in your family. They do have horrible redale value-most think they are problematic cars. We've had ours for a little over three years with no complaints. I can't saw I'd necessarily reccommend one buys a Catera on the open market right now,but it really is a wonderful car. They are rapidly depreciating now,though...
  • ironmieironmie Member Posts: 1
    have you had this oil light problem fixed. I have '98 with 73kmi and started getting the same problem 2 months ago. the oil light / sound come on when the engine gets hot (>15 min driving) and I stop / idle in traffic. Light goes off when restarting engine, but then comes back on. I noticed that the OIl Pressure drops down in red zone and triggers that alarm.

ANd same thing with the valve cover gasket, it started leaking earlier this year...

I'll take the car to dealership on Monday.
  • dribbb1dribbb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Catera with 50 k miles and have had so much trouble, I don't know where to start.
    1. I have put 4 sets of tires and only have 50k miles! These tires are not cheap.
    2. oil leaks all over my drive way. I read some other posts saying no big deal, just check oil every 500 miles! What about the mess in the drive not to speak of damage to the driveway.Cars are'nt suppose to leak.
    3. new motor for sunroof, valves in cooling system , window washers needed fixed, New tie rods, brakes, back panels of front seats came off.
    4. The latest... the blower motor is done.No ac no defroster. The new blower has been on order for over a month!I can't even get the parts to fix it even paying the ridiculous price they ask for a new blower.
     To say I am disgusted with Cadillac is understatement of the year!
  • semyongsemyong Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Cadillac Catera 62K, coolant leak as my dealer inform me from 0il cooler unit. It is high cost repair $1,700.00 I cant believe this estimate . What can I do for reduce thats cost? Thanks
  • atlanta buyeratlanta buyer Member Posts: 7
    Wow. I'm reading the posts from everyone and it scares me from even considering the purchase of a used Catera. I've rented Opels in Europe and found them to be solid cars. Did GM just take a good thing and screw it up--or are the later models better cars?

Yes, the resale is extremely low; that's the attraction of buying used. Look, are all of these cars lemons or are there certain years to avoid?
  • namdudenamdude Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2001 Sport about a year ago and love it. I am the 3rd owner. It had 37,000 miles on it so it was still under factory warranty. It had to have the oil pump and the hot water control valve replaced. She handles and rides just great and has plenty of power. I live in Denver so she gets a good work-out with mountain driving. This vehicle was originally purchased in Wyoming as a lease vehicle, driven for 18,000 miles and sold to someone in Colorado. I had a front brake job done at 40,000 miles by Just Brakes. Everytime I drive another vehicle (friends or rental) it makes me appreciate my Cat.I do have all the other scheduled maintenance done by Cadillac. I think that most of the problems were worked out by 01. It feels really solid and secure. I had a Deville loaner and it is similar in feel to that but it doesn't have the "floating" feel like a big car. Mine has all of the options except the CD changer. I am very pleased with the fit of the windows and doors and have not noticed any whisteling or squeaks. As a used car you are getting alot of car for your money as you should get a good price on it. Mine went for $15,900 a year ago. This is my first Caddy and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I don't like the model that replaced it, the CTS I think. There are so many little things like the storage areas within the doors, trunk space designed for golf clubs, etc., that make this car a standout. I would recommend that you take it to your local Cadillac dealer and find out if you can buy an extended warranty. Any work on a Caddy is expensive. I am sold on this car and like I've said, I plan on keeping her for a long time. It is really a pleasure to drive.
  • atlanta buyeratlanta buyer Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the response. My gut feeling is that they did get the bugs worked out in the later models. It's funny, though; you read through all of these posts and no matter how badly everyone bashes the Catera, they love the handling.

I've rented the Opel Senator (same body/frame in Europe) and was blown away with the handling. Yes, the cost of parts and repairs scares the daylights out of me. I've had an Alfa-Romeo 164 (4 door--size of a Catera) and it had been a maintenance nightmare. I mean, I had the mechanic's phone number speed dialed on my cell phone. I got seduced by the looks and handling, then I was stuck with rotten reliability. The fact that you've had an oil pump replaced at around 40K is a big concern. An extended warranty would be a good thing.

Another concern is the lousy service at the Caddy Dealers here in Atlanta. Ask anyone around here--these dealers must go to night school to learn bad service. I know people that were long term Caddy owners that traded to another car brand due to bad Caddy dealer service.

At least my Alfa mechanic was a decent guy.
  • jsmythejsmythe Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if the dealer was able to fix the oil light problem.

I have a '97 with 55K miles and have been experiencing the same problem but with an added twist. My engine temperature gauge goes up into the red zone wile the oil pressure plunges to its red area. This happens at the same time yours does. It is quite obvious there is nothing wrong othrewise. The car goes back Monday for the 3rd time, same problem. The dealer can't seem to fix it.
  • tslick28tslick28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98'Catera with 50,000 miles. I had it for 8 months and put on 20K of the miles. First major problem when I use my twilight sentinel for night time head lamps and they will not turn off automatically or manually with light switch or by turning the sentinel off. Anybody experience this problem? Flustered
  • malvinmmalvinm Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 98 Catera with 77,000 miles on it and the (!)light for brake pads is on and noticed the brake pulsates as I stop. Also, the tranny light comes on once in a while. I turn the car off and it goes away when I turn it back on. The oil is leaking but I am not sure where its from. What should I do? Any one have any suggestions?
  • speechlessspeechless Member Posts: 1
    I RECENTLY PRUCHASED A 1999 CATERA W/55,000 MILES.
    I HAVE HAD THE PROBLEM OF MY CAR SOMETIMES WILL NOT COME OUT OF PARK WHEN THE CAR IS STARTED, SO I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE GEAR SHAFT COVER AND HIT THIS YELLOW SWITCH. HELP WHAT IS IT THAT I NEED TO HAVE DONE TO MY CAR. THANKS
  • hellieanhelliean Member Posts: 1
    yeah we have a 1997 catera and it's beginning to be a nightmare!!!! we're have a bad skipping problem .we've put on new wires and plugs then it still didn't run right so we had the alternator checked and it wasn't putting out the recommended votage so we had it rebuilt and it's still not running right so we put it back on machine it still saying the same thing .miss fire 2cycl. &high rpm can u help with this issue whats really wrong
  • supra1997supra1997 Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same exact problems with my 1999 Cadillac Catera Sport. Did you find anything out on how to fix these problems?
  • jewelzjewelz Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car for almost two years, it has 55k and is in good condition. Recently, the battery light has been going on and off. It was running fine until a few days ago. Now after about 30 seconds of idling it feels like it may stall, but once moving again its fine. Today, the car just shut off, not stalled, shut off and the fuel cap light came on. I checked the fuel cap and it seem to be on fine. It started back up again right away. The only other issue I have is the tires. I seem to have constant low air. The tires are less than I year old, and I purchased the factory tires that were impossible to find. I had them shipped from 3 states to get a complete set. And were very expensive. What do you think?
  • rolsonrolson Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 catera and am seeing smoke coming from under my hood when stopping or stopped. Seems like coming from where you add oil. Also oil light was coming on and off in the past. Can anyone give a clue to what this is? Have had regular oil changes.
  • hneufeldhneufeld Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my '98!!! Has anyone advised you on what to do? How have you been helped? I need some help.
  • pepsi1pepsi1 Member Posts: 1
    I ALSO JUST PURCHASED MY 1999 CATERA , AND I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE HAND CLUTCH (WHERE YOU PUT YOUR CAR INTO GEAR) IT WAS STICKING. SO WHEN YOU PARK YOUR CAR JUST MAKE SURE TO PUSH IT DOWN ALL THE WAY AND YOUR KEY WILL COME OUT. YOU STILL MAY WANT TO TAKE IT TO A CADILLAC DEALER AND HAVE IT CHECKED OUT!
  • my1stcaddymy1stcaddy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Cadillac Catera about four months ago. I LOVE this car. However just recently the check engine light came on and transmission light started flashing on me. I had a friend run a computer diagnostic and found out that there is a cylinder 4 misfire, which I think is an old one and never cleared cuz the car runs great! And the other is a Transmission Control Module Power Relay Circuit. I have contacted the dealer and they have yet to get a hold of me. Can someone tell me exactly what this mean besides '.. it's an internal problem.' And let me know. I can tell you this, that when first starting out the transmission will shift normally, but if for some reason it downshifts into third, the transmission light starts flashing and it's stuck in third gear. It won't downshift or start in first gear from a start, it is stuck in third. If I shut the car off and start again it's fine until it downshifts. I haven't driven in it almost three weeks, because I don't want to cause any more problems than I all ready have. Hope someone can help.. Thanks!
  • peanut06peanut06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Catera. Recently it stalls after being driven about 5 miles. Then it will start back up after waiting about 15-20 minutes. I took it to a regular automotive tech and no codes registered. I will need to take it to a Cadillac dealership to be repaired. What was your problem and how much did it cost?
  • crazy8prcrazy8pr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 catera,beautiful car without a doubt but im having so much problems there's these relay next 2 the battery which some of them have fuses on the side of them 2 fuses from the relays keep burning out,by any chance would anybody know how 2 figure out where the short is coming from or wat relay is 2 what ?
  • carlosdcarlosd Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '99 Catera with 87,000 miles for under 5 large. It is beautiful. The only problem was with the Bose stereo sys. It would only come on when the ignition was turned off after being on. It would also turn off when any door would be opened(I know that this is Normal). When taken to the dealer my wife was told it was the water pump leaking coolant on wires that caused this annoying problem. A mere $1200 would take care of it. My wife, as savvy as they come, talked them down to $850. Not bad. The next day we get a call telling us that we also need to replace the oil sending line and darn near all the hoses, due to coolant contamination. A measely 2 freakin' large should solve these problems we are told. I was wondering if I am being gouged or if all this is possible and properly estimated? Are Catera parts hard to find? We called Pep Boys and the water pump was only about $70 bucks. So why the $850 repair quote? Please advise. Any feedback would help. Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with someone who wants to purchase a Cadillac. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 31, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com