Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ggintergginter Member Posts: 3
    Hi I need some information on how to replace the brake light relay switch for my 1998 cadillac catera. thanks
  • bbacon1bbacon1 Member Posts: 4
    Just changed mine. Picked up the $18 one from Rockauto I removed the two phillips head screws from the fuse box and wiggled it out of the way to see what I was doing. The key is to use a stick to hold your brake peddle as far compressed as possible then pull the white peg out as far as you can. It will click lick a zip tie as you pull it. Then use your thumb nail to slide the red collar as far out as possible. Once this is done you can squeeze the one way lock pegs in place and pull the switch out. Unplug the old plug in the new lock it in place put your battery cable back on and voila you have brake lights again. Put your fuse box and under dash panel back in and your off!

Good Luck its an easy one.
    Living in Florida I noticed the same thing. I have the optional rear window screen. When its up the cabin is pleasant when its down forget it you can fry eggs in the back seat. We finally tinted the windows to eliminate the green house effect and the climate control works just fine.
    I have found the Opel owners group to be a blessing. They post many great preventative measures to make your experience a good one. Make sure the breather system has been cleaned so you do not end up with the dreaded oil in the plugs syndrome. Have the recalls done on your front tie rods take care of it and enjoy it. They are easy to work on and the yahoo forum and Rockauto wil keep you in all the affordable parts you need. I'd do it. You really can't find BMW 7 series luxury like this for the price. And the size is fun and nimble like the BMW 5 series it was to compete against.
    Before you pay the dealer $1600 go to the Opel Owners Forum follow the steps to fix and clean your gaskets and breather system for about $200 bucks and a long Saturday you can be up and running again.
  • 97_catera_swap97_catera_swap Member Posts: 4
    I am the guy who posted awhile back that did the V8 Swap. in my 97 Catera.. I can't help but notice all of the problems Catera Owners are Having and I just happen to Have a perfectly Good Eng/Trans, & All The Extras in my Garage and need to get rid of.... So If anyone interested please post a reply back and it will go into my e-mail Thanks
  • bradcadbradcad Member Posts: 9
    2000 Catera / 64,000 miles... I really like the car... but, every morning, with cold engine/trans, the trans holds in 1st gear until tach reaches a point between about 3500 and 4000 rpm before it finally shifts to 2nd... then shifts ok after that. But, after sitting all day at work, will hold in 1st gear again, like a cold start. Dealer says nothing is wrong, and can't find any Cadillac service announcement about it either. I find it very hard to believe that Cadillac would design the Catera trans to shift like this on purpose. Anybody else having this problem??
    My sun roof control switch will not work. How do I can I fix it,and how hard is it for a do it yourselfer to repair this problem. Thanks
  • ipalatucciipalatucci Member Posts: 1
    I have a catera 1997 with 70, 000 += miles on it....we were told that the coolant is leaking into the oil...the oil is a thick beige color...told that that was not terrible, but the car uses coolant all the time, always filling it..and the car is running very badly..not very reliable... told it needed a new head gaskett, it is about $1500 to fix...do you know anyone with the same problem. Haven't taken it to the dealer as the price will probably be triple....any suggestions...
  • cabezacabeza Member Posts: 1
    I have a cadillac Catera 1998 and I need a speed sensor, my friend has a speed sensor for a Catera 2001. Will the 2001 sensor work on my 98 catera?
  • sportee3sportee3 Member Posts: 2
    Actually, you can get the speed control sensor at auto parts store too. Some will run their diagnostic tool on it for you to tell you specficaly which side it is on because there are two. But it does require a star tool to remove it. Not sure if this is a common tool to locate. You will find it running off of the wiring harness across from the rear wheel. Sensors are not hard to replace usually, but locating them can be hard. Hope this helps.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'd better not drive the car anymore----coolant in the oil is very harmful to engine bearings.
  • sportee3sportee3 Member Posts: 2
    You can purchase a good one at Advance Auto Parts.
    If your check engine or service engine light is on they will run their diagnostic tool on your car for you for free. In hopes you will buy the part you need from them. Auto Zone will also check for you..
    Walmart carries an inexpensive brand in their store also.
    Most of the newer ones check 1996 models and newer .
    I also have a 2000 Catera... ~ 64,000 miles... really like it... had it for about (1) year... no real complaints... a little service here and there... to be expected. Recently, I've noticed oil smoke coming from under the hood on the driver's side. The first time I noticed this, about a month ago, I got kinda nervous, pulled over, opened the hood, it seemed to burn off. Then a day or two ago... worse... more smoke... really concerned. Are you saying that others have had a similiar problem like this? What is supposed to be the problem... a leaky valve cover gasket?
    About your flashing light problem... I've also had this happen... very rare though. Sometimes, if I accelerate too much, it seems like the car thinks the tires are slipping, and goes into that posi-track type mode. You have to re-start the car to re-set the system... kinda a pain.
    Thanks much.
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    vave cover gaskets need replaced i had same problem
    Were you able to change them yourself, or did it require a mechanic/dealer repair? It looks like a tight fit. Is this possibly covered under a warranty?
  • jkdm7153jkdm7153 Member Posts: 1
    I need serious help! My 2001 Catera is in the shop and they cant find the problem. Maybe somebody else has had this problem. It started out by feeling like it wasnt getting gas when i first took off, but after it was warmed up it ran fine or if i reved the engine quiet abit before i took it out of park, then i would have any problems, until one morning i went out to start it and as soon as i did the engine reved up and the rpms went up to 2 and sounded stuck, then it started sputtering and sounds like it is missing.. so far they have tried the fuel pump, the cadillitic converter, the time chain..i am beginning to think that it is never gone to get fixed. Please help!
    i recently did an engine/Transmissiom swap in my 97 catera.. because i like my car and wanted more power.. however before i built a motor.. my motor had many upgrades including hypertech chip, K&N cold air intake, Custom Cams and my Transmisison is the BMW Z4 Swap... It is a lot of work but it made 75 more HP than factory and therefore well worth it... I still have The motor and transmission in my garage for anyone who needs one
    took it to the dealer and should also get plugs changed out while all the stuff is off at that time and to make sure coils aren't damage one of mine was when I took it back at 100000 to get tune up so had to replace one cause of the oil that was leaking and damage it
  • bugkilla1bugkilla1 Member Posts: 7
    may be mass air flow sensor this is located just below the air filter it has a electric plug going to it unplug the wire to see if this helps if so needs tobe replaced easy to do just 2 large hose clamps and the wire should be 150.00 part
  • ihscoutman2002ihscoutman2002 Member Posts: 1
    the catera is european not american. thats why its giving you such a headache, and the shop im sure.
    most of us like are Catera's but they came out with so many problems, I actually did a full drivetrain swap and put a GM 383 Stroker with a TH700R4 (4 speed) & it fit perfect with a little modification to the firewall. my motor mounts are solid, I have a custom made driveline, wiring harness and i was able to keep all of my factory options, Lets face it, they are great comfortable cars and stylish at that.. if you would like to see pictures of my swap you may visit http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955374 and check it out
  • blk00caterablk00catera Member Posts: 10
    I have noticed a few people mention recalls with their Catera(the post about tie rods caught my eye as I need a new one). I checked on Edmunds for the 2000 model year and it said there were none. I also checked for 99 and 01 which also returned none. Is there recalls out there that for some reason I am unable to see or are people refering to the TSBs?
  • mcglaskermcglasker Member Posts: 2
    i would like to know of any problems anyone has had with this model catera.
    My factory rims were starting to corrode on the inside and would lose air pressure slowly. I had the inside cleaned and buffed but about a week later they started to lose air again. I just bought a set of 16" Konig Furthers wrapped in Yokahamas. They look really nice on my black Catera and have even renewed a little bit of love for my car.

Happy Holidays all!
  • trinellatrinella Member Posts: 6
    Top of :cry: the Season to everyone! Well since my purchase of a 2001 CATERA with only 33,300 miles on it. Here is what I have experienced:
    August purchased the car.... the EBCTM module went on it the moment I picked it up after having it shipped from Florida.
    Check engine light comes on and off.
    Electric Sun roof sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't want to work.
    Went to automatic car was and passenger side foot well filled up with water.
    In October once it got cold the shifter does not want to go into drive from park until it warms up.
    Steering wheell pump just went, and found out now I need valve covers that they do not make anymore. Need to upgrade to new replacement model.
    When I go over bumps, now I hear a clunk in the front end.
    I give up..... thought I got a good one with low miles, but this is too much.
  • emmanuelmemmanuelm Member Posts: 5
    I have 1997 Cadillac Catera. Does any body know why I see a "Levelling" sign flashing on the panel.
    The car runs good when you are doing 0-55mph, after that it does not want to go any faster and I do'nt want to push it. a mechanic just told me that it is the solonoid or something and another person told me that I need a new Trans. Can any body help on ideas.
  • caterajunkcaterajunk Member Posts: 30
    Hi E,

had a 2000 catara that done the exact same thing if you email me tomorrow I'll look up the part I ordered whatever it was worked..so hold on
    I believe it was the synlonoid but DON'T SPEND OVER 60.00 FOR I KNOW WHERE YOU CAN GET IT. CONTACT ME TOMORROW SORRY I C/N HELP MORE TONITE ITS JUST TOO LATE
  • josiechapmanjosiechapman Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

My neighbor has the exact same problem. I see that the multi relay switch is the way to fix it. However, I will repair it myself and save the $130 labor fee.

He can open the trunk and gas release switch by starting the vehicle, keeping his foot on the brake and putting it in gear. This will allow you to open both, however it will not allow you to operate the radio.

Hope this will help you. Weird way to operate the swiches, but it works.

Joe
    Just to let you know that Isuzu makes certain hondas and for much less.
    Where are you and how much do you want for the motor and tranny? I am in Colorado.

Josiegomezchapman@msn.com

Joe
  • catera70124catera70124 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2001 Catera from the shop - same symptoms as yours. Just as bugkill1 said, it was the MAF sensor.

The shop had my Catera for almost 2 days before calling to tell me that neither they nor the nearby dealership had any idea what was wrong. All diagnostics came up normal and yet the car sputtered, misfired, etc. They had placed a call to Cadillac and were waiting for an answer. 10 minutes of research on the Internet and I turned up several reports of what they were calling "lumpy start-up syndrome"; same symptoms as both you and I experienced, and the MAF sensor was the cause. I called the shop, they changed out my MAF sensor, and two hours later I was driving off in my now smooth-running Catera.
    hI, I just ran across my receipt , it was a sensor I'm not sure which one but the mechanic wanted to charged me 350.00 for the part alone but i found the part for 50.00. Have your sensors checked as I bet thats the problem. I did get it from a dealer too. Sorry I couldnot be of more help. Good Luck and let me know . I got tierd of spending money so i got rid of my catera. BUT YES IT'S A SENSOR. I'LL LOOK AGAIN AND SEE IF IT STATES WHICH ONE BUT I DOUBT IT.
    by any chance where is the maf sensor located on the car and another question the speed sensors is there one or two of them and are they really located on the rear axels? please help if anyone knows
    The maf sensor is typically located in the air inlet just upstream of the air filter. Some info on it can be located at;

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf

If cleaning the maf sensor will help... the following might help;

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm

Typically, they shouldnt be too expensive, especially if you can buy the part and install it yourself. Good luck.
    bradcad
  • parisdadparisdad Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my grandfathers 98 Catera, it turned out that the wires for the lights run under the front carpet right were your feet would and up over the tranny hump. There were about 20 rotten wires that we had to replace but it work goods now. To check which wires are rotten simply give them a little tug and they will break. If you are going to repair this yourself be sure to cut the wires back far enough to get all the green out and the solder and heat shrink the connections.
    Hope this helps you out.
  • mdiscomdisco Member Posts: 2
    My caterra recently had a new alternater put in to potentiall correct this prob (not by dealer) and something is draining the battery (which is new) and i pretty much have to alway jump start it! The first problem leading up to this was that the spedometor stoped working, which still doesn't work. I was told i new a new computer main "brain" that would cost a fortune, but bottom line, i'm wondering if anyone else experiened this? something draining the battery and speedometer not working? i have already sunk so much money into this car, is there any easy fix?
  • mdiscomdisco Member Posts: 2
    My caterra recently had a new alternater put in to potentiall correct this prob (not by dealer) and something is draining the battery (which is new) and i pretty much have to alway jump start it! The first problem leading up to this was that the spedometor stoped working, which still doesn't work. I was told i new a new computer main "brain" that would cost a fortune, but bottom line, i'm wondering if anyone else experiened this? something draining the battery and speedometer not working? i have already sunk so much money into this car, is there any easy fix?
    I remember reading a while back in this forum about a common problem with the rear window defroster staying on. Just my two cents.
    nothing easy to fix and yes it does cost alot of money to repair my speedometer has stopped working which the dealer told me to same thing need an new computer also which is high had to replace the alternator but had no promblems with draining the batt.
  • emmanuelmemmanuelm Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guy? Where will I get the parts?
  • rgibso04rgibso04 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my 1998, needs to be jumped every day. I have replaced the battery less than a month ago and same issue again, do I need to check the alternator and replace? Can I do this or do I need to take to a garage?
  • thiedigdthiedigd Member Posts: 3
    I need to flush my radiator on my 1999 catera... I saw a red knob valve looking item at the bottom of the radiator but not sure if that is the drain valve... I am use to older vehicles with drain cock valves.. anyone know actual location... thanks
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    The coolant drain valve is located on the radiator, at the bottom of the left end tank (driver's side), facing rearward. The valve is accessible from under the vehicle. Hope this helps you.
    Thanks a lot for the reply back.. I saw a red knob valve looking that had a small hollow tube attached facing the front of the car just aft of the bumper... I assume this is what your talking about... I am an old guy and use to the older cars that had the p-cock style valve opener.. I just didn't want to turn the red valve and screw something up.. thanks
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Actually, I have a '98 Catera and the valve is facing rearward and I didn't think it would be different on the '99. However, what you see facing forward probably is the drain valve for your car. I'd just watch when you open it and be sure that it is radiator fluid (anti-freeze) coming out and not transmission fluid and/or engine oil which sometimes cools by running thru the radiator. Good luck.
    Thanks again.. I couldn't get pliers on it enough to turn anyway... like you said... it could be to something else... guess I will just take it in to a mechanic that has a lift to put it in the air.... its a shame that cars today are made so people like me can't fix them and are forced to pay out $ for a simple job... again thanks
  • mycateramycatera Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 catera and i am down to connecting the hoses back together and i have one hose that i do not know where it goes and i was wondering if any one had a picture of the engine that they can send me so i can look at it. my email address is myhouse401@aol.com