Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• phil2400phil2400 Member Posts: 29
    Is it motor oil or transmission fluid? That is the only difference I can think of. If trans fluid, it is the trans fluid cooler in the radiator. If motor oil, then it is the engine oil cooler under the intake manifold.
  • blondebrat1912blondebrat1912 Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 Cadillac Catera's speedometer keeps goin out at random times and the millage stops working, the ABS and Traction change light comes on when it goes out but the rpm still works so I can halfway tell how fast i'm going !! Does anyone know anything that might help we checked all the fuses and there not loose or anything !! Thanks !
  • az_hvyaz_hvy Member Posts: 30
    When I bought my 98 the check engine, ABS and the TC light stayed on also the speedometer didn't work The code i got was DCT P0501 ( Speed Sensor Circuit) bottom line is it was the EBTCM ( Electronic Brake Traction Control Modulator) Dealer wanted over a grand to fix it. Below is an address of a place that will rebuild it for 250 (I had a 5 day turn around via UPS) and I found a great shop here in Phx that pulled the codes removed and replaced it and reset comp for about 250 so 500 total
    http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Cadillac/process_cadillac.php
    You can still drive the car while it is off if you make sure the housing is covered and kept dry(piece of plastic, shop rag, and duct tape)
    Good Luck and let us know
  • quentindquentind Member Posts: 2
    Recently, My 01' Catera has been shutting off whenever the car was running. i took it to the local GM dealership and they told me that the wiring harness had an open circuit in it some where. They also informed me that whenever they shook the harness the car would shut off. Could anyone tell me what circuit in the engine harness would cause the engine to shut down like this.
    A common problem is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It runs from the senor to the wire harness, and runs along the oil cooler lines. The wire tends to get really hot, and cause intermittent failures before going out completely. The ECM needs this sensor to know when to fire the spark plugs and fuel injectors.
  • leevandam1leevandam1 Member Posts: 28
    Could this be further evidence that the wire to the cps has goten hot along the way and when it gets "HOT" it tends to contract and causes an open circuit then it cools and re seats itself........ the same could be emulated by wiggling the wires.... what do ya'all think,? Lee...
  • benyanibenyani Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 catera and its got a loud engine sound i dont know where that comes from ?? any ideas??
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    I just got a 2000 Catera that was given to me by my mom. It is in the shop right now. There is a coolant leak coming from the back of the engine. I haven't gotten the estimate from the dealer yet, but they said it is a heater hose. From reading this forum, it sounds like it could be the heater valve.
    Also, my radio will turn itself off (or on) for no apparant reason. When the radio has turned itself off, the trunk will also not open - not until the radio turns itself back on, and then sometimes the trunk will pop itself open without my pressing the release button. Has anybody had this problem with the radio and trunk. The two seem to be connected.
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    It seems that you have an short at the trunk release andrradio wire harness. Heater vale is the correct anserw :P
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    Thank you for the response. I got a quote from the dealer today.
    They say that two heater hoses and the heater valve need to be replaced. Cost: around $300 for the parts, $400 for the labor.
    For the radio/trunk problem: replacement of relay interface - cost: another $350 - and I don't know how much for labor.
    Also, because the "check engine light" came on. They say that the o2 sensor needs to be replaced. Cost: $408. Labor: $86.

I was thinking that the "check engine light" came on as related to this coolant leak. It did not come on until after the leak had caused the coolant light to come on a few times.

I don't know if they actually tested the o2 sensor. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
  • irishbronco63irishbronco63 Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to get some suggestions before I start tearing things apart. My 2001 Catera worked perfectly fine last Thursday evening when I came home from dinner, and then the next morning it would not start. The engine turns over when I try and start it, so it is not a starter, battery, or typical electrical problem. My initial feeling is some sort of fuel delivery (fuel pump?) or ignition problem. If anyone has seen this problem and has a suggestion, let me know. Thanks.
  • dtsluvrdtsluvr Member Posts: 5
    In my vehicle it would have a strong turn over but it wouldn't crank. I also thought it would be the fuel pump, but when I came back to it like a few hrs later it would start no problem.
    Then it got to the point ater a few months that i could only drive like 3 min before the car would shut off.
    It was my crank shaft position senor (cps) withc are nortories for going bad.
    I went onlie to autozone.com and checked it out the part cost me 75.00 and my husband put it on. every year is diffrent mine is a 99. but if you just type in the (cps) on the internet it will tell you were it is located, you can save alot of money this way.
    I'm not really sure what your vehicle is doing. But maybe this will help you.
    Good luck!!!!
    Scan the ECM for codes before throwing parts at it. We had a similar problem with my friend's '99 Catera. Because it was sitting for 2 months with a bad battery, it took a few tries for the code to show up, but pointed straight to the crankshaft position sensor, located down near the oil filter. We tested it for signals, and got nothing. Replaced it, and it cranked right up.
    Hey there Look bye the parts yourself find a neighberhood shop to install parts go to car quest they :blush: are pretty cheap. as far as the relay bye the part from them ;) look in your manual for fuses and relays and put it in yourself it pulgs in just like a fuse take the bad one out put the good one in and if that don't solve the the problem you have a short in wire harness.
    Thanks a ton. After reading some posts I figured a good place to start would be the CPS, and that seems to be the consensus. I tried starting it up a few hours and days later, and still no go. It cranks fine, but no firing. I'll change the CPS and see if that helps. Thanks again.
    Glad to here another story that ends well To all you guys that drive civics......You go girl!! :P
    Look guys All IN All this is a great car with good handling and performace .Sure it's a pain to service but what car isn't . some guys put an L S 3 in them some turbo or NOS thats all good but you have to admit it's a fun car to drive. To all you guys that drive Civics .......you go girl ! ;)
    Thanks a lot mate and you are right the manual don't say much I'm going to take my chance and take it apart by heat then reseal it and drill a very small hole for mosture and heat to escape. And to all you guys that drive Civics..... you go girl :blush:
  • 1591819315918193 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2001 Catera with already 162000 miles in it and I love it. I have recently rebuilt the transmission on it and is working great. The only problem is that the vehicle won't start after I turn it off. I have checked the battery and is good. When I turn the key, it's DEAD! The battery gets drained or something. I have to carry a battery booster with me all the time. The car has been to the dealer in two dirrefent states on three different times and nothing. I have taken it to several mechanics but they can seem to pin point the problem. I think that it might be a relay or something. If anyone has had this problem, please help me.
  • leevandamleevandam Member Posts: 4
    Hey there Catera lover..... Nice car and you have 160,000 + miles wow.. just for my information have you had any other problems with your Cat. ? thanks Lee.... also for anyone else out there... Does anyone have an idea about how many Cateras are still around? Just wondering. want to keep mine "forever" just wanted to know how they hold up. Mine is still good.. had the heater thing... the cps sensor and water tank done... ( did it all my self) so did not cost me an arm and a let..... but I do not hold it against the car.......I wonder what else I could expect (S) .. have a good day ya'all.. Lee
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Hey Lee - I don't think anyone (except maybe God) could tell you how many Cateras are still up, alive and running. However, I can tell you that during it's five year life span (1997 - 2001) there were approximately 95,000 Cateras sold in the US. And anyone that gotten 160K miles on one without having to rebuild the entire car is very lucky. Hope yours is doing okay. We're coming up on 60K miles but I kind of say a little prayer every time I turn the key on... LOL Take care. Rick
    I changed the CPS, and still nothing. The car will crank strong, and all interior electricals work. It just will not fire. Any other ideas?
  • yellowroseyellowrose Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    I read your posting, I am having the same problem with my car, started a few weeks back, got taken in for a new battery that i don;t think i even needed. The car started fine for about a week and then the same thing, turn the key everything comes on, but will not turn over. Then i let it sit for a few minutes try a couple more times and it starts up fine. I had the fuel filter changed last week to start with had no problem for a couple of days and then the same thing today. How did you do with yours? Any ideas or help would be appreciated, Also does anyone ever get a burnt smell from there front end on the Catera????
    thanks
    yellowrose
  • leevandamleevandam Member Posts: 4
    A question if you please... please distinguish between "won't crank and won't start.... IE.... the engine will crank freely but will not fire..... or the engine will not even "turn over" if the engine will "crank" but not fire, the problem could be the cps, and easy fix.
  • yellowroseyellowrose Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, it will crank but not fire up, i will offer the information to the guy that works on it, He was thinking the fuel pump which looks like it would be a very expensive job,
    Thanks
    Maureen
  • podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    I am the original owner of a 1997 Cat with 115,000 miles on it. Mechanically good, a little rust starting to appear. I give it two more years before the rust makes it ready for the scrapyard. It's been a really nice car to own.
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Before you replace the fuel pump, I would replace the CKP which is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Alot of people call it a CPS but it is a CKP not to be confused with the CMP which is the Camshaft Postion Sensor. The CKP is about a $50 part and about 30 to 45 minutes labor to change out and is more likely to be your problem than the fuel pump. Good luck.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought a 2001 new for my wife.....Under warranty,we had a stack of repair tickets that you wouldn't believe...
    Twice it was towed out of our garage.....as we had twin babies then,my wife was furious...Gm gave us a two two year extended warranty and a $2,000 off cupon for a GM car. i just bought her a 2008 Lucerne last June. I was offerd only $3,500 for the Catera in trade,so I've kept it as a third car.
    It only has 54,000 mils on it...We're a little afraid of it still,but it's been fine the last two years....Except fot the washer tank empty light stays on...

I still ove to drive it...it has the same German goodness as Mercedes and BMW.....But if certainally has a storied past...
  • 1591819315918193 Member Posts: 2
    Hey leevandam, just to let u know I had to replace the a/c compressor once about a year ago. I have replaced the headlights and repaired the radiator. So far the car is still in great shape. Hope ur car last you for a long time.
  • bltfrdtghbltfrdtgh Member Posts: 4
    THE VECH BELONGS TO FATHER IN LAW.IM A FORD SERVICE TECH .PROBLEM IS VECH WILL SOMETIMES CRANK NO START,SAYS IF YOU CYCLE KEY SEVERAL TIMES WILL START,ALSO RADIO WILL RESET TO 12:00 WHEN VECH DOES NOT START,SUNROOF WILL OPEN ON ITS OWN.PERFORMED EEC TEST NO CODES.DID NOT CHECK FUEL PRESS.WAS TOLD SOMETIMES YOU CAN RESET PCM IS THAT TRUE?DOES NOT EXPLAIN ELE PROBLEM.ANY DIRECTION SOMEBODY CAN POINT ME.MITCHELL NOT HELPFULL.
  • therabbitdiedtherabbitdied Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1999 Cad. Cat. I just had the 100,000 mile tune up completed on the car. I replaced the four O-2 sensors on the car and it still will not pass emissions test. My engine light and transmission light as if by magic comes on and off when it wants and every time it knows I'm approaching the emissions place. My machanic states that the engine runs good and so does the transmission. The car runs as smooth as butter! So does anyone have any ideas as to why the Transmission and engine light keeps coming on. My radio goes on and off at random and my driver seat is suck and will not move back of forward. Could this all be a wiring problem? If so is that going to cost me my first born child to repair? Cause I dont have any children yet, but at this point I'm considering using my future children for collateral in lue of payment.lol
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What codes are stored? Have they been read? Also a good technician can monitor the car while driving it using diagnostic equipment. Usually if there's a light, there's a code in there.
    All good questions Mr_Shiftright, to which none I have the answer to as of yet :surprise: But I'm working on finding out and I'll get back to ya!!!
    Hey thanks, very much appreciated ;)
    Okay great, come back and see us and we'll try to help!

VISITING HOST
    its giving me codes p1141, p1161,p0141,p06161,p0155,p0160, and p0140 which are all linkedfuel pressure high,check fuse and 02sensors as well as poor electical conection, I have already got everything fixed but thecodeskeep comming up could thisbe the wiring computer?
    Bizarre. Are you original owner or did you just buy the car? If the PCM was replaced wit a new one or one from another vehicle that could throw false codes without a PCM re-program.

A P0601 code would suggest a corrupted PCM memory but I have no idea how to find a bad connection in the PCM wiring harness.
    Unfortunately, I'm not the orginal owner. I have had the car now for 3 years, no problems, until now. I think it's something electrical and I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership :cry: Bum-capitol ER' :sick: ( Hey you've been great and thanks a bunch for your imput. It was much appreciated!!!
    I"m sorry. I'm over my head on this one. I think given a desert island, some test equipment and the rest of my life I could figure this one out by elimination, but right here right now and not near the car, I got nothin'.
    Hey ok, but thanks any way. I'm just gonna take it out back and shoot it!! :shades:
  • trseiferttrseifert Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 catera that I have had for 7 months. After putting 3000 miles on it it started making a horrible noise in the engine. Come to find out I had a cracked head. It took my mechanic 1 month to get this fixed and 3 days after I had it back it broke down on the side of the road, making the same horrible noise again. The mechanic this time says he thinks there is something in the oil lines and maybe the oil pump is wearing out so now he has to pull the entire engine out and check it all out. Thankfully anything he does is going to be warranted, but is there any other major problems I should expect or have my mechanic check while he has the engine out? I think I have an electrical problem as well but can deal with that, I just throw a battery charger on my car once a week or so. I love this car but is it really worth it????
  • trseiferttrseifert Member Posts: 2
    If you have to replace your brakes again just by them from a parts store and have someone put them in for you. I paid $150 for the pads and rotors and nothing for labor and they work just fine.
  • quentindquentind Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2001 catera to the dealership because it kept starting then shutting off. The tech at the dealership found that whenever you shook the wiring harness the car would stop running. So they installed a new engine harness, which stopped the car from starting and cutting off. However, when my girlfriend started the car up the sport shift light started flashing like an Xmas light and would not go off, the car was also sluggish on take off. I took the car back to the shop immediately and was later told that there was something wrong with a soleniod and convertor clutch in the transmission, but as I explained to the Service manager the transmission in that car had never given me any problems until they installed a new harness in it .But, according to him the engine harness they installed does not affect the operation of the transmission (which I find that hard to believe)could someone please tell me what could have caused the transmission to stop operating normally.
    I really hate to sound cynical, but are there any honest mehanics left? :confuse: You take your car to the shop for one issue only to leave (without knowing) with seven new problems. :mad: All of which will cost you dearly!!!! :cry: What's up with that!!!! Nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck, but why at my expense? As if to say I don't have a family to feed toooOOO!!!!!!!!
    I feel for you quentind, I feel your agony and frustration. I know what you mean and how you must be feeling right about now!!! I hope someone can help you out with this one, as I have not a clue. Just felt pissed off reading about you plight.
    Best of luck,
    Peace
  • ciaradiorciaradior Member Posts: 6
    :) Ok the info that was given to me about my issue really helped me out BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!! And it sure saved me some BIG bucks ;) I got my ABS module repaired by sending it to the BBA Reman in Tauton Mass(http://bba-reman.com/). It only cost me 164 to repair which included shipping both ways. And I found a Mechanic who took it off and put the part back on for only $100... The dealership wanted to charge me like $1600... NUTS!!!! Well, when I got the ABS module back on it solved the problem although I thought it would take my engine light off as well.. But it stayed on because my Mass Air Flow Sensor is bad. So I am waiting for that part to come in and hopefully everything will be ok. Im a little concerned though because when my brakes were bled the front passengers side brakes wouldnt bleed. The brakes work properly but it seems as though no fluid is running thru the front brake line :( . Any suggestions on what it could be maybe... Anyone!!!!! Thanks again.. This Forum sure is useful... :)
    My 98 Catera leveling light will start flashing after about 10 minutes while driving car. If i shut it off and restart it I can drive about another 10-15 minutes before it starts flashing again, this has been going on for almost a week now,every time same thing. It rides and handles just as same as it always has. Does anyone know where the systems air pump/ compressor is located Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks Hvy
    I found that Monroe makes a replacement rear shock for Catera, the pair with hardware and air lines run about 70$ (Dealer wants over 400) My question is will the Monroe hook up to the built in leveling system or do I need to by pass it and fill up new shocks Iv also been told there is a Strut after market kit that will replace the rear shocks but as of now I have had no luck finding out who makes it or where I might find one Any Ideas? Thanks in advance
    Hvy
  • dusdusdusdus Member Posts: 2
    the harness does affect the trans, does the car still do this or was it a one time thing.sounds like the third gear start button was accidently pushed,because its light flashes, and it makes the car sluggish feeling, but its actually just taking off in third.thats why i ask does it still do it.because it should reset itself and go off.if the car is still doing this something is hooked up wrong in the harness causing the problem...hope this helps
  • dusdusdusdus Member Posts: 2
    it has a small compressor mounted underneath the car behind the fog light on the passenger side front.you probably have a leak in the line going to to the rear of the car or your air shocks are leaking,they can be replaced easily and fairly cheap. hope this helps
  • country2country2 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2000 catera and I am rebuilding it and after 6 mouths away I can't remember where the windshield washer resorvior is suppose to go. Can't remember where I took it off. jimbo
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    it goes on the driver side near the front of the car