Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

rjleerjlee Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in General
I was told that there were so many devices that can improve your mileage, reduce air pollution and prolong your engine life. I got two names here.

Super FuelMax http://www.superfuelmax.com/

and PVI http://www.pvitech.com/

Are they really useful? Do they really save your money? Who has any experience about these products? Does any of them impact warranty?

Is there any other rccessories or additive outthere?

We can talk about the way to save our money here.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know much about the two products you list, but the US Federal Trade Commission has some advice about most fuel saving devices, and it's not encouraging.

Look for "magnet" and "Platinum" on the page. If a magnet could boost MPG by 27%, something tells me GM would bolt one into every truck it sells.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    change oil often (every 3K)
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Well, that's not what people want to hear! That's like saying to lose weight, one must eat well and exercise. Sheesh! :-)
  • agtabbyagtabby Member Posts: 28
    Jetta Diesel. This device costs around 20k, but will get you 40-55 mpg. And it is extremely durable.

I would trust an infomercial for a vegtable chopper before I would trust any of those fuel saving gimicks. None of them work in accurate testing.
  • sirfilesirfile Member Posts: 42
    Warning to all motorists!!

Please don't make the same mistake that I have made on my vehicle. I have purchased every fuel-saving device that I have ever seen advertised. Now, I have to stop periodically and drain off the excess fuel.
    lol, sirfile. I have an extra can around here you can drain the excess into :-)

Steve
    Host

• tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I have said it before and i will say it again..
    If it's too good to be true...IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    If it sounds to good it probably is. Think about it if it saves you that much money wouldn't you expect it to cost more?! What I have found to be the best way to keep your fuel economy up is to do proper maintenance to the car/truck. Check your tire pressure, air cleaner, breather element, regular tune up's, trans fluid changes and oil changes, all at the recommended intervals. All that will not only help your fuel economy but will extend the life or your car for a good long while A clean air filter makes a huge difference in mileage, as well as proper tire inflation.

I have heard claims of increased mileage with a simple air cleaner change, I am not sure about that, but I bought a K & N air filter for my truck and it made a very slight difference in mileage about .3 GPM. I know my throttle response has improved greatly though, so maybe if I didn't tromp on it hard off the line it would show greater improvement. The main reason for getting the filter was it only cost $39 and my throw away filter cost $10. I clean and re-oil the K&N every 5th oil change, and it saves money in the long run and has a million mile warranty. The re-oil kit is $20.

Other claims of aftermarket exhaust system and the like are out there and all claim to improve mileage, but it doesn't make sense to spend $500 when it would take 5 years of driving to make the investment back in fuel savings.
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    I am getting a 2002 Camry SE. The XLE has a trip computer (MPG, instant fuel consumption etc...) but the SE does not.

Is it possible to add an aftermarket trip computer?

If so, any links?

Thanks.

Pat.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I wonder if there is a way that you can retrofit the XLE's trip computer into the SE's dash? It is, afterall, in the same location and I bet that all of the necessary wiring will be in place. However, it may be an expensive job though, but perhaps worth exploring.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Drive like you're in city traffic, not like you're in the pole position for the Indy 500. If you're not merging on the highway or trying to get over and there's no good reason to put on a sudden burst of speed, don't do it. Try shifting at lower rpm's than usual... the less hard the engine must work, the more fuel you save. Try to keep it below 70... mileage decreases when you go much faster than that due to aerodynamic drag.
    Of course I practice absolutely none of the above, and could never see myself as sacrificing driving fun for the sake of a few mpg and 200,000 miles of engine life vs. 150. I doubt most others here do, but it's just like the analogy someone made before about diet and exercies. We all love to believe there's a magic pill out there somewhere to cure every ill or improve most aspects of life, simply because if there is one it means we have to be less disciplined and restrained.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I just over 1400 miles on my Screw. My mileage was about 11-12 at best. After 1000 miles I installed a K&N air filter, mileage increased to 13-14 right from the get go.It should get better as I go along. These are street only miles and no freeway driving. I have a 2wd 5.4, and no tow packages. and I like to drive fast!
    Since most data Ive seen indicates the k&n might add maybe 1 mpg if that much and often doesnt make a difference at all. Did your driving habit change at all after you installed it? Were you perhaps a bit lighter on the throttle because you wanted to see it make a difference?
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    I have a 2000 MPV that I like very much. After is was broken in it got about 17 mpg around town driving reasonably conservatively. Since then I switched to synthetic oil and synthetic transmission fluid. I also added a K&N air filter, Redline's Water Wetter, and went from 30 to 35 lbs. of air pressure in the tires. You know what my mileage is now? 17 mpg around town! I have moved up from 21.2 trip mpg to 22.4 trip mpg from the first to second year of ownership driving at about 72-73 mph on the interstates. I don't know whether I can attribute these gains to the add-ons or to additional break-in. I now have about 20,000 miles on the MPV, so I guess that's as good as it's gonna get!
    There are so many variable in fuel mileage that it's difficult to tell what really makes a difference and what doesn't according to what people say. And sometimes when people spend 50 bucks or more on a mod they really want to see gains so they feel like it was worth it.

There's a good possibility that highway mileage improvements might be attributable to the K&N, as they tend to make a very small difference in power and mileage at higher speeds.
  • foxtoxfoxtox Member Posts: 5
    Getting a free flow muffler and larger pipes can increase your mileage and will add horsepower at high rpms. So will a filter because your engine doesn't have to work as hard to get air.
    Gains are often fairly small, and they depend on what type of engine you're starting out with and how much power there already is to be unleashed.
  • clhawkins01clhawkins01 Member Posts: 25
    Has anybody seen this new infomercial? Peaked my interest. Does anybody think it's acually worth anything? www.tornadofuelsaver.com
  • jeremyseattlejeremyseattle Member Posts: 4
    They cost alot, but many people swear by Jacobs ignitions for power and mileage gains. The most popular place to buy them seems to be http://www.summitracing.com
    http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1014:

"The POWERAID TBS concept was developed to enhance mid-range power, torque and fuel efficiency. The unique dyno-proven "Helix Bore" of the POWERAID TBS causes a spinning action of the incoming air-charge, as it passes through the throttle body. This extremely beneficial air-charge carries all the way into the combustion chamber, producing a super-atomized mixture, which produces tremendous gains in mid-range power and overall efficiency. This is the key element and horsepower success behind each POWERAID TBS."

Comments?

My .02? Snakeoil....

Gas-Saving Products: Facts or Fuelishness?

Steve
    Host

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't understand how a Jacob's Ignition can improve gas mileage. It would seem to me that a little care would give just as good results such as replacing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condensers and so forth.

As a reliable ignition system, Jacob's will do fine - but better gas mileage? Help me sort this out!

Thanks!

tidester
    Host
    Aftermarket & Accessories
    I am the one who previously posted..."If it's too good to be true, it is to good to be true."
    Let's face the facts:If the auto manufacturers knew of any "Gas saving device" they would certainly be the first to get it and make it a "standard" part of their automobile.With auto manufacturers striving to meet E>P>A> guidelines..They would be more than happy to get and use same.example: if Ford or Chevrolet or Chrysler{woops,Mercedes}, could boost their mileage on "any of their new vehicles, it would be a major breakthrough for their product and sales would skyrocket. Yes, Honda has the "Insight" and it is not that well accepted, but boost the mileage of a Ford F150 by 4 to 5 more miles per gallon, or whatever, and they would have people standing in line for sales.
    TRON
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Bingo!

I guarantee you that each auto manufacturer has 100s of employees working on fuel saving ideas, whether they are in engines, transmissions, wheel bearings, tires, etc. Heck, they will pay extra money for weight reduction just because every ounce of weight reduction translates into some fractional mpg increase.
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    Does anyone have any experience with the gas and diesel fuel additives called PRI-D and PRI-G? The ads I've seen tout the fuel storage benefits, but also mention fuel savings and longer engine life as a by-product. Thanks for any opinions.

Dave
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    you will drive more conservatively, thus making the gimmick's claims come true. It "ain't the gadget, but the goon."
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The freer flowing exhaust and intakes a, along with thinner grade of oil (say 10w 30 to 5w 30)will help, after all the engine is an oversized air pump. Also drive like you have an raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal.
    Probably, driving like there's a raw egg between your foot and the pedal would provide most of the increase in fuel economy which would then be attributed to those mods. Try driving like the egg is there first before you spend seveal hundred bucks and you'll probably be suprised at how much of an improvement you see.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I'm no Electrical Engineer (I'm a Mechanical instead), but when I talked to them a while back, (in reference to my car, 88 Camry V6), basically a good portion of spark energy is wasted below 3000 rpm (something with the circuits). The systems makes sure the full spark energy is consistent throughout the whole rev range. In addition, there is a control function, for two modes: economy and power, it is determined automatically. Also, each cylinder has it's own output to the "box", so using a sample, it measures against the determined values of spark energy & compensates for each individual cylinders.

Talk to them (I found them informative and accurate, since by car's powerband does start at 3000 rpm.)
  • cjwalcjwal Member Posts: 3
    made the mistake, no improvement, not even getting rated mpg for 4 cyl, 2.7L, tacoma dbl cab.
    figured no big deal 30 day warranty, hard to test and return in that period. waited too long, wasted my money. Going to take it out and throw away.
    1) Ankle regulator: special computer surgically implanted in right ankle that sends messages to right foot to carefully regulate use of the gas pedal.

2) For manual transmission cars: Wrist regulator;another specially designed computer to be implanted in the right wrist that sends special signals to your hand to tell it to shift earlier and avoid frequent downshifts on highways.

3) Check book regulator: Yet ANOTHER specially designed micro computer that is automatically activated whenever you open your checkbook at a car dealership and tells you to buy a more fuel efficient car.

4) Feet: They normally come in pairs, and can save on fuel costs by allowing the user to walk when one's destination is not far away and it's nice out.

5) Cruise control: Can be used to set speed at 60-65 mph, where fuel economy is optimal for most vehicles, rather than at the fuel sapping speeds of 75mph or greater that many who are on the lookout for mileage-improving accessories usually drive at.

6)Backseat driving spouse, whose nagging instinct is automatically triggered by an electrical impulse whenever speeds exceed legal limits or sudden bouts of rampant accelaration occur.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    eham,

Those are great accessories! You can find parts numbers and prices at http://www.WeAreTheBorg/YouWillBeAssimilated.com

;-)

tidester

Host

SUVs

• autobellautobell Member Posts: 1
    I was as skeptical as anyone when I first saw the device, actually laughed at the student in class because it couldn't possibly work as claimed. Well to my surprise after installation some results were worth investigating. Started testing on our Clayton chassis dyno and recorded positive results in almost every vehicle we tested. Remember I am a racer and don't really worry about MPG. Saw some interesting HP gains on the dyno and lost them when we removed the device, remember this is all done in a 10 to 15 minute test period. Please don't bad mouth this device until you have actually tested it in your vehicle, don't forget to disconnect your battery to erase ECM memory so it can relearn the fuel trim curve faster.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Seeing HP gains on a chassis dyno still doesn't mean it works in the real world.

1) Which vehicles did you test?
    2) Were they stock vehicles, since you're a 'racer'?
    3) Were the tests all conducted under the same conditions or was the humidity/pressure/temperature of the air varying from test to test?
    4) Were all of the engines and drive trains warmed up to the same operating temperatures each time?
    5) Were the vehicles you tested fuel injected or carbureted?
    6)What is an 'interesting HP' gain?

The only reasons the tornado would work is if the engine has a very poorly designed intake system. There is no reason to 'swirl' air any more than what the intake runners are doing in most cases. Go sell snake-oil in another forum please!
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    IF they really worked the factorys would install them on all new cars. The factorys will stop at nothing to increase fuel enonomy 1 or 2 MPG.
    Why then do they sacrifice the gains of an unrestricted air intake system for the reduced engine noise (while accelerating) that the stock airbox, etc., provide, with all their baffles, chambers, and twisty-curvy air paths?
  • ortolani1ortolani1 Member Posts: 1
    i have 250k miles on my 94 accord i have stayed with the manufacturer recommended oil 5w30 dont burn a drop and its the best way i know how to save gas after your regular maintenance schedule it works on hondas
  • orcinmanorcinman Member Posts: 24
    As a starving college student, I was actually considering installing one of these gimics in my Elantra (the "tornado fuel saver"), however common sense and this forum have snapped me back into the realm of reality.

Thanks guys. I wish Ithese gimmics worked, though.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    I see the claims for improved power/economy for aftermarket air filters, and ask, Has anyone you know attached a digital vacuum gauge ABOVE the throttle plate, and driven the vehicle at constant speeds on the same roads before and after the change? If the filter is really reducing restriction, there will be measurable vacuum above the throttle with the stock filter. Some years ago I used a clear plastic tube with a teaspoon of water for a manometer, and could not measure a vacuum above the throttle on my car at idle. The system did not allow me to test it under load with any equipment I had available at the time.

This was in the late sixties when self proclaimed "experts" were turning their air cleaner covers up side down to "increase air flow". Some of us at the school did an experiment (U S Navy fleet training - mechanics, Davisville Rhode Island). We asked ten of our students if they would participate, and not look under their hoods. We had them fill their tanks every Monday and Thursday. We checked their oil that day, and either installed the covers correctly or turned over. They were told to drive normally, and report the amount of fuel, and miles on the car at each fill up. Without exception, the times when the cover was upside down for "more air" the fuel economy went down.

The reasons most likely were:

1. The carbuerators were less efficient when the air heating system did not work.
    2. The engines required more throttle to produce the same power when not fully warmed up but after choke opened.
    3. Some restriction was required to insure proper mixture with the carbuerator.

I now tend to be very skeptical about claims for air filter devices. The manufacturers can reduce restriction if there is enough to matter, by simply increasing the size of the flter element. The only possible time there could be a problem IMO is wide open throttle.

That problem actually did exist in the sixties on some Chevy II's. GM accidentally put air cleaner housings for 4 cylinder engines on some sixes. The tsb said to measure the diameter of the intake opening and replace with the appropriate part number if wrong.

Harry
    Merely replacing the stock air plumbing with something non-restrictive helps the most, and this usually ends up with a cone filter, so it's hard to say just how much the filter by itself does. As long as the new filter gets outside (not engine compartment) air, it is an improvement.

What is this upside-down cover stuff? Was it meant to get more air through the same filter? If it gets more engine air, it was a stupid mod, unless warm air was desireable for carbuerators.
  • zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    We used to turn the breather covers upside down too! We did it because we liked the sound better (it increases the noise under the hood). We were not efficiency engineers by a long shot, we had no idea if we actually were helping or hurting things, didn't care, just liked the sound...
    Back then, we all drove pickup trucks that had the breather snout still located under the hood, taking in underhood air anyway, so turning the cover over just gave the carb MORE access to the same underhood air,,,none of our trucks got good mileage anyway so we didn't really help or hurt at the time.
    And bye the way I have a K&N air filter on my trucks now (normal replacement size,not the cones), I did not get it for any mileage gains or any added HP, didn't expect it and have not gotten it as far as I can tell...added air flow would only help at high rpm and I don't drive that way..I bought them just to avoid replacing normal filters over the life of the vehicle, I keep vehicles for the long run and lifetime things have paid for themselves over the past several years.
    If you want some better mileage try hooking up a vacuum gauge and pay attention to it while you drive, it will change your driving habits (keep you lighter on the gas pedal) no jackrabbit starts/stops etc, you may be surprised how much difference just driving habits make.
    see y'all
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    It is possible that aftermarket air filters could increase HP. However, to allow the extra air to flow also allows more dirt in the engine.. (This has been shown in several studies with K&N filters for example) The check for this was to do an oil analysis..

I think it would be interesting to do a double blind study with a group of drivers and the tornado.. For each driver, calculate the average mpg that they get for a normal week or 2 of driving. Then install a device on half the vehicles, (but don't let the owners know whether it's been installed on their vehicle or not).
    Then run for another few weeks and compare the results.
    There are probably more controls and items needed in the testing protocol, but the idea is to eliminate the drivers habits from the equation.
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Switch over to to a full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1, Red Line, Amsoil. I experienced a 2-3 MPG increase immediately with Red Line 10W-30.

Keep you car in top tune.

Check tire pressures weekly.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    My experience with synthetics (Amsoil) after using it for a full year is 0 (0.0, .00, no, nada, null) improvement in MPGs.
    I check my mpgs at every fill since the truck was new, and continue to do so even after stopping the use of synthetic oil.

The single biggest factor of MPG is driving habits.
    It's all cumulative - you have to soak the Tornado in synthetic for a couple a days and then you'll get up to 1.5 additional mpgs.

Steve, Host
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Saw an article about one of the companies the FTC put out of business for misrepresenting a snake oil additive containing Teflon. What was interesting was the owners history. He had been at this bottom feeding trade for over 20 years. Betcha same is true of the people selling all the gadgets mentioned in the above series of posts.

Guess old PT Barnum was right-"there is a sucker born every minute."
    He was absolutely 100% correct.
  • kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    I was looking for comments on the Tornado fuel saver as a good friend of mine installed the Tornado on both their Civic and Accord vehicles. All the negative postings here at Edmunds prompted me to let you know about his experience on the device. Re MPG, no difference on either vehicle. On HP, the Civic showed marginal effect, but the Accord showed a significant improvement in acceleration after installing Tornado. Don't ask me why as I am no mechanic. I am still debating if I should install one on my Acura Legend.
    I just got a UCE (unsolicited commercial eamil - spam) from Tornado at one of my other email addresses (not my Edmunds one). Now I'm positive that they are snake oil :-)

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.