Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Care and Maintenance

124»

Comments

• ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    To reset the maintenance light, with the truck turned off, push and hold the trip meter button while turning on the ignition. Think you have to hold it like 5 seconds. As for making sure the oil gets changed, either mark the drain plug with a paint pen days in advance. Then make sure the seal was broken. I personally prefer to go to a place where I can watch them do it. Don't believe the insurance won't allow you in the shop crap. The only reason they don't want you out there is because they don't want you to know what they are doing. Most places design their shop with a viewing window to allow you to watch without getting dirty or run over.
  • winterboneswinterbones Member Posts: 7
    Yea, I did the reset thingy and changed the oil myself this time with Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Toyota branded filter. Pat me on the back! he he

Thanks for the replies in these forums. Helped out alot.
  • steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    I drive my '05 Double cab about 2 to 3 times per week. I was thinking of using something like Lucas Oil stabilizer to better protect the engine from cold starts. Has anyone used this and what is your opinion? Also, another general questions that someone many know. On average, how long does it take for oil to completely circulate throughout the engine?
  • seranikoseraniko Member Posts: 27
    reset topic is at p 157 of your owners manual on a taco.
  • winterboneswinterbones Member Posts: 7
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    In the 05 owners manual I think it's on page 150 or 151. I do my own oil changes because I'm the only person that I totally trust to do it right. ;)

Mobil 1 synthetic is a good choice for Toyota engines. It is very compatible with the metalurgy of Toyota engines. I use Napa, Mobil 1, or K&N oil filters. Stay away from Fram filters; poor contstruction. BTW, the Mobil 1 part number for a 4.0 liter engine is M-102 I think, or for the same price you can get the larger capacity M-209, which is what I use.
  • a19i23a19i23 Member Posts: 1
    Hey does anyone know if the technician service manual is any good.
  • sampson4sampson4 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Tacoma and heard its good to use Castrol 5-30. I am using Toyota Filters as well. Any reason you like the Mobil 1 oil better and are using the different filters? How many quarts of oil do you put in? I used 5 on my last change.
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    I had excellent luck using only Castrol Syntec in my '89 Toyota truck, (260,000 miles, no burning or consumption, traded it :sick: for a piece of garbage Jeep Cherokee, which cost me $3000 a year in maintenance )and my '07 Tacoma will get the same thing
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Toyota engines really work well with Mobil1 oil and filters. It's proven. I've tried Amsoil, RoyalPurple, etc. Mobil1 is the way to go, in a Toyota.
  • seranikoseraniko Member Posts: 27
    i bought some sensors for the oem alloys to replace the steelies that came with the prerunner. Do i have to have the dealer have these installed and reset or can any tie place install them?
  • khousekhouse Member Posts: 8
    Is there any secret on replacing the oil filter without spilling oil on the motor when you replace the filter after a oil change. I got a 2007 4.0L DC Prerunner and the filter sets up at the top.
  • ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    There is a drain near the filter mount. It has a cap on it. If you hold a bottle under the drain and loosen the filter, almost all of the oil will drain to the bottle. Then you can remove the empty filter without spilling a drop. Wipe out the drain area and replace the cap.
  • khousekhouse Member Posts: 8
    Ok thanks, I just bought it and haven't had to change the oil yet.
  • godzilla6321agodzilla6321a Member Posts: 1
    Hi, folks. Have an '05, no probs, great Truck! I notice
    in the manual that is says to change the A/C Cabin Filter
    and am wondering if any of you have done that, is it necessary? I currently have 26k miles on my truck. Thanks!!
  • sailrnsailrn Member Posts: 1
    That sliding gate valve drain plug sound kewl. Can you tell me exactly where i can purchase one.

thanks,

sailrn@cox.net
  • bsullbsull Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have any tips/ideas as to how to replace the oil pan from a taco? I got it loose but can't get it out. I'm guessing I need to raise the engine. Any help would be appreciated. 96 4cyl. 4x4.
  • bsullbsull Member Posts: 5
  • dlt64dlt64 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab TRD automatic
    has a subtle back fire when starting it up in the mornings. Doesn't do it when starting it up again
    right after. Has 28,000 miles. No intake leak.
    Bought it new. Well maintained. Seems to run ok
    otherwise. Sounds like emission problem???
  • dlt64dlt64 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 4x4 ext. cab auto. 6cly. TRD. The
    engine back fires when starting it up after the
    engine cools down. Doesn't do it right after I
    start it up again?? Well maintained with 28,000mi.
    Seems to run ok.
  • witch660witch660 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 Crew Cab 6cly w/red paint job. and idk where's the transmission oil? and idk how it looks like . soo i like my pick up truck and it's the first time tht i bought it soo can u guys at least give me some tips to take good care of my toyota tacoma.
  • kchang82kchang82 Member Posts: 1
    The latch on my center console separated from the console on my '06 Tacoma (SR5). As long as the latch is intact it's an easy fix. Bear with me, I'm not good with the terminology. There's a plastic pin on the latch that goes into a plastic tube attached to the console lid. Just place a spring from inside a ink pen onto the plastic latch pin making sure the spring will fit in the tube. Works perfectly!

If not, you have to buy the entire console. Parts/labor was quoted to me at $310!!
  • leleuleleu Member Posts: 3
    how to ajust timing on 2000 tacoma 2.4 eng.electronic egnition.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "There is a drain near the filter mount. It has a cap on it. If you hold a bottle under the drain and loosen the filter, almost all of the oil will drain to the bottle. Then you can remove the empty filter without spilling a drop"

I took my 08 Taco to the Toyota dealer and had them change the oil and I asked them how they replaced my filter without making a mess and he said we just let it loose and then hose down the mess with solvent. He said you would not believe how much solvent we go through in a weeks time. I am changing my oil for now on. I guess the method above would cost them too much time. :(
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Toyota engines really work well with Mobil1 oil and filters. It's proven. I've tried Amsoil, RoyalPurple, etc. Mobil1 is the way to go, in a Toyota"

Has anyone had there oil analyzed by a lab? I think I am going to use Mobile 1 but I am having a hard time finding any chart that list the best overall oil. Some articles I have read says that Mobile 1 has more wear than some other brands. I would appreciate any help.
  • bobobooboboboo Member Posts: 1
    I just had a 30,000 mile maintenance done. The original web quote was for $561. When I got to the dealership that price was quoted again, the papers were printed out and I signed them. BIG mistake not reading the printout first, the service rep. had changed the price to $695. It is my belief this was to offset the 10% coupon I had. Also Edmunds has a base price for maintenance at this mileage for $109.02. I do not do any heavy hauling and mostly drive back and forth to work. I only use 4 wheel when the weather is bad. I have a feeling they padded the bill with unnecessary work.
This discussion has been closed.