Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

167891012»

Comments

• barmou5812barmou5812 Member Posts: 2
    The new 05 or newer tacoma front suspension knuckles are so close to the tire sidewall it prevents snow chains of any type from being used on the front tires. This was not a limitation on my 95 & 98 tacoma. The distance is appx half inch or less. This is a huge limitation for backcountry off roaders in snow and mud and for hunters. It could be dangerous also if front tire pressure are lower for off roading and the flex of sidewall could cut tire against suspension knuckle. This was a huge oversite by the design team at Toyota. I filed a complaint in Fall 2006 when some local 4X4 shops mentioned the complaint from some new tacoma owners and not sure if they tried to fix it yet. I urge off roaders to call Toyota and complain about this.
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    My recommendation is get rid of the truck ASAP if you haven't already. It's nothing but trouble waiting to happen. My 2001 Tundra is currently at the dealer replacing the transmission. (87000 miles - cost $3500.00) I
    I was away for the weekend, and the transmission acted like yours. On the way home, it failed; I had no gears - forward or reverse. Had to get it towed about 80 miles.
    I asked the service manager to call Toyota service rep to see if they would do anything for a vehicle that they tout as going 100,000 or more miles in their advertisements. He indicated I am on my own. I called the 800 number since you cannot have a one on one with the regional rep - against Toyota policy. National rep indicated that she would take down my complaint, but it would not result in any change - the regional rep's decision will stand - once again Toyota policy.
    I have owned Toyota trucks for about ten years; I maintain the transmission according to Toyota's maintenance schedule. I am quite disappointed that they won't stand behind the vehicle for a major drivetrain component like a transmission. These vehicles that were so well touted early on are now getting to the miles that will identify the true ability to make it to the Toyota talisman of 100k and beyond. The rest of the comments concerning transmissions on this site indicate that it's likely to happen only in the advertisements. As I told the national rep: if I knew five years ago what I know today about Toyota longevity, Toyota's interest in standing behind their product, and Toyota customer care, I would have not bought my second Toyota truck. :lemon:
    My advice: if you have a Toyota Tundra, get rid of it quickly after the 60k drivetrain warranty runs out since Toyota national will not stand behind it after that.
  • bikerjfkbikerjfk Member Posts: 2
    Winter is a comming and it"s time for some new Booties on the Tundra.I would like to size bigger than the standard O.E.M suggests.Does Anyone have some info regarding how big a tire size I can go on a 16 inch Rim for my 2004 Tundra Access Cab? Any comments welcomed. Considering Tire comparisions between BFGoodrich, TOYO, Goodyear, Michelin,
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    I had the same problem after I had the cabin air filter replaced in my '05 Camry. It turned out that when they put the new filter in, it was crooked in its housing and the fan was rubbing against it. This only happened at medium fan speed or above, when the airflow through the filter was enough to pull it into contact with the fan.
  • bikerjfkbikerjfk Member Posts: 2
    The winter snow and cold up here in CANADA has the heaters up on bust. Now I smell a need to replace or clean the cabin air filters on my 04 Tundra and my wifes 2000 4Runner
    Does anyone know where the filters are located so I can access them or is this a Dealer Prep work order?
    Haven't bought my tires for the Tundra yet, still shopping around.
    My wife gave me a knudge and a wink,wink, Christmas is around the corner and a set of new Tires for her 4Runner would look great under the Christmas Tree.
    What All Seasonal tire also has good mileage rating I can run on the 4Runner?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Maybe like on the RAV4, cabin filter is located behind the glove box - just open box all the way, then press in the sides to have it open farther, spilling contents on floor of vehicle.

-ss4
  • toyo4x4toyo4x4 Member Posts: 2
    i recently broke my rear passenger leaf spring on my 98 tacoma, and only can find replacement springs at a reasonable price that go to a 1997, does anyone know if these will work or a good website where i can find some at a reasonable price?
  • anamouseanamouse Member Posts: 2
    My advice, don't remove the door panel, the replacement parts will break just as fast as the old ones.

Make new links out of metal. I made mine out of Aluminum and they will last forever, and cost much less than $35 per side.

Anamouse@earthlink.net
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    I get most of my parts from Wheeler's: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm
    Their prices are pretty decent.

--
    Marcus
    http://www.TacomaWorld.com/
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    apbstyle -I am curious - was your transmission serviced during this 87,000 miles by you or by your dealer? I have a 2000 4X4 Tundra Access cab V6 Automatic w/ 75K. These trans problem posts concern me - I know the trans is VERY expensive to repair.

If it was serviced, how many times in that mileage? Did you tow anything over the years? Thanks, Steve
    I serviced the transmission by the maintenance schedule provided by Toyota - to the letter.

The truck NEVER towed; it doesn't have a hitch. I didn't even haul heavy loads in the bed. Five sheets of plywood -max. :lemon:

As I indicated in previous e-mails: get rid of Tundras as soon as you can after the 60K drivetrain warranty is up. To hope that you'll be the guy in the commercial at 100K or 200K is a "roll-of-the-dice." The cost of the new transmission is not worth it. More importantly, you are going to find that NOBODY in the Toyota customer service chain will offer help. :lemon: My son bought one on my recommendation: I told him to "dump it" ASAP. :lemon:

I contacted the 800 national number - their answer "you are on your own" for the repair. They would not even allow me to speak to the regional Toyota rep - wouldn't even give me the phone number. National took my complaint, and said they would "put it in the file" but "nothing would change." Spoke to the dealership owner, and he said that he would call Toyota - called him back twice; he never returned my calls. :lemon:

Every body I spoke to said it was so uncommon for this to happen. HOWEVER, they had a transmission to the dealer in less that 24 hours. I wondered why a part so "uncommon" to replacement was so readily available.:lemon:

I AM CONVINCED OF TWO THINGS: TOYOTA IS UNWILLING TO STAND BEHIND THE DRIVETRAIN BEYOND 60000 MILES and THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT WILL NOT AND DOES NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. :lemon:

I have owned Toyota trucks before, was ready to purchase another Tundra next year - this one is the last. :lemon:

:lemon: GOOD LUCK WITH AGING TUNDRAS :lemon:
    I wish I had seen this forum BEFORE I had purchase my second Toyota truck. My truck began with the same issue and very quickly the transmission totally failed - no forward gears, no reverse.

Recommend you get rid of your truck ASAP, especially if you are over 60K. After that the transmission is on borrowed time at your expense.

I just replaced the transmission in my TUNDRA - 87000 miles, serviced according to maintenace schedule, never towed - cost $3500.00 :lemon:

Neither the service department, or Toyota National, or the owner of the dealership wanted to stand behind the powertrain. I was on my own for the repair despite the claims and commercials of the 100K and 200K mileage Toyotas. :lemon:

As I indicated in previous e-mails: get rid of Tundras as soon as you can after the 60K drivetrain warranty is up. To hope that you'll be the guy in the commercial at 100K or 200K is a "roll-of-the-dice." The cost of the new transmission is not worth it. More importantly, you are going to find that NOBODY in the Toyota customer service chain will offer help. :lemon:

I have owned two Toyota Trcucks and was going to purchase a third. I am currently driving my last Toyota - the trucks are not able to sustain the "long haul" and Customer Service for loyal repeat customers is non-existent.

:lemon: GOOD LUCK WITH AGING TUNDRAS :lemon:
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "TUNDRA - 87000 miles, serviced according to maintenace schedule"

What maintenance / intervals does the Tundra service manual call for?
    The maitenance schedule provided with the vehicle and on Toyota's website.
    Maitenance/intervals depend on use of the vehicle: scheduled mait is at intervals no less than every 7,500 miles.
    This is a real issue that will ultimately be ignored by Toyota. Search the Tundra Problems Forum for "transmission." :lemon:
    I own a 2001 and the transmission was "acting up" on my way home - major highway, rush-hour Friday.
    Transmission totally failed - no forward no reverse. Had to be towed 80 miles.
    Toyota said I was on my own for the repair - $3500.00
    The truck never towed and the transmission was maintained according to the Toyota schedule.
    The Toyota transmission cannot stand the test of time and miles despite their commercials hyping 100K and 200K cars. :lemon:
    Thanks for answering the first part of my question, but I'd still like to know on my second question:

In that 87,000 miles, have many times, if any, was the transmission fluid changed?

I am aware of what Toyota's maintenance schedule is, but my question is - was the fluid ever changed? If so, how many times, and by whom? (you, dealer, independent garage)?

These tranny really don't have a trans filter as such, it is more of a metal strainer. When a dealership quotes a trans service price, it is simply a drain/refill proceedure.

As one with an "aging Tundra" as you stated, just trying to get a better idea of what I'm up against.

Thx, Steve
    One other question - did you handle the repair at the dealer, or end up going to an independent transmission shop?
    Transmission: Twice: as close as I could get to 24 and 36 months or 30,0000 and 60,0000 miles. Was ready to do it again at 90,0000, but instead I replaced the transmission.
    Engine: as close to every 7,500 miles.
    I change my own oil and filter.

Keep in mind this truck was not "beat on." It never towed, and the most weight that I put in the bed was 4-5 pieces of plywood. When I got rid of my last truck, I had people interested in it because they know how I maintain my vehicles.

I was purchasing Toyotas solely for their "reputation" to make it 100,000 - 200,000 miles. The biggest disappointment I had was with the Toyota customer "care." I presented the issue to the dealership service manager, the dealership owner. The dealer service manager called the Toyota regional rep, and I called Toyota National (800 number). Nobody wanted to hear it. The service manager agreed that it was not a maintenance issue; the truck was "out of warranty," which was 60,000 miles.

Call the 800 Toyota number and ask to speak to your Regional Toyota Rep. - they won't even give you the number. The only person who can speak to the regional rep. is the dealership. Regional rep is the final word also; the person I spoke to at the 800 number said she would take my complaint. It would be filed but NOTHING WOULD CHANGE. There is no recourse beyond the dealership and regional rep. The dealership owner said he would call Toyota. I never heard from him; called him twice and left my number; he never returned my calls.

They all told me that the transmission problems were so rare: they never happen. However, they had a replacement transmission at the dealership in less than 24 hours. They seem to have a supply on hand, despite the supposed rarity of the repair.

If a truck that was basically "babied" cannot have the drivetrain components survive 100,000 miles, and more importantly, have a company willing to stand behind what is supposedly a truck, then I don't think the product is genuine. :lemon:

If you look at the problems and solutions forum and search transmissions, you'll find the problem might be "rare" to Toyota; however, the original owners of the "Truck of the Year" are now seeing transmission problems. Sadly, Toyota's customer service ends at 60,0000 miles, not the 100,000 and 200,000 miles that they hype on their commercials.

I had the repair done at the dealership - $3500.00. I was going to purchase another Tundra, not now. From my experience they don't stand behind their product.

I'll give you the same recommendation I gave my son, who purchased a Tundra on my past experiences - Get rid of it soon. It appears you are already having transmission issues. Do you want to take a chance on a repair of this amount? :lemon:
    Thanks for the explanation. No, I'm not having trans problems, as I said, just like to know what I'm up against. The only real issue I've had w/ the truck was handled under warranty - and that is the front & rear brake issue. I'm fairly certain you experienced them also, am I right? I went back several times, and the final fix was a major revised front caliper replacment. This fix has worked fine, but for those who did not force the issue w/ Toyota while under warranty, they too are now very disappointed with trucks that prematurely warp rotors and "eat" brake pads.
  • stilettomanstilettoman Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a new 06 Tundra, or an 07. (192K on my T-100) Nice incentives and dealer motivation on the -06. As nice as the new 07's seem, the latter is perhaps a better value. Do I pick up the new 07 design on my next purchase cycle. I realize there is a difference in opinions as to the level of defective design. With enough similar postings, I'll assume brakes, ball joints and the unspecified transmission issues are fact.

Have designs changed and the issues been remedied? Has Toyota ironed them out by the 06 model year, or are there just not enough miles driven yet for the same problems to surface?
  • apbstyleapbstyle Member Posts: 3
    I actually have 67k miles on it now. I work in the automotive dealership business and used to work for a toyota dealership her in florida. Thats actually where I purchased my tundra used with 29k. When I purchased the tundra it had brand new pads, but knowing about the front brake campaign that was going on I had them perform the new caliper swap and new rear drums replacement. I had the trans flushed at 45k, plugs, throttle body service, injector flush, just pretty much the 30k mile service I performed myself. I just installed a hitch about 6 months ago, but that was a just in case thing. I've towed my brothers jetski once and my friends 8X10 enclosed trailer with two dirtbikes in it for about a 50 mile round trip, but that was it. Every other weekend I would haul two dirtbikes with a round trip of 120 highway miles, but never constantly towing trailers. Still, its a truck thats what its meant for. I still haven't got my tranny fixed. My brother is a senior technician and actually works for a dealership that owns a toyota franchise. So I'm going to run my tranny to the ground then just get my brother's employee discount on a reman and hope that one lasts awhile. Goodluck with yours Steve.
  • tacc261tacc261 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my new '06 Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 truck yesterday and I've been noticing that there is a ticking sound (I believe someone else referred to it as a "sewing-machine" type sound) when I accelerate but mainly at lower speeds. Anyone know if that's common with all of the newer model trucks or is it a problem that needs fixed. I had an early model V6 Tacoma for a few years and that engine sounded nothing like this one.

Thanks in advance for your input!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. Many of the large generic discussions (like this one) will be closed to new posts, and we ask that you continue in the more focused discussions that you can find at the Group page for the vehicle, linked below. This discussion will not be deleted, so you can still search for information in it.

We recognize this is going to take some getting used to (for the hosts too!), so please bear with us. If you have any questions, you can always email the host of any discussion - the link is at the top of each page to the host who oversees that discussion.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Toyota Tacoma Group
    Toyota Tundra Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
This discussion has been closed.