Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

drmelfdrmelf Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Toyota
When driving the truck after it has been parked more than 15 minutes there is a distinct popping noise. It happens in forward or reverse. Dealer has checked twice and said it is the "floating pads" making contact and that the noise is very normal. Sounds like a story to me. Does anyone else have this noise? Truck is an 02 Tundra Limited 4WD. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• chiweihochiweiho Member Posts: 51
    Dealer told me it will go away after couple thousand miles. i am at 6k, it went away, it's part of the 4WD components. Use to do it when i back my truck in the garage.
  • mototroymototroy Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Tacoma PreRunner (V6,auto) that I am considering towing a 4900 lbs. (max) two axle, Electr brake camper trailer. Does anyone have experience as to how the truck would do? I really don't want to upsize trucks right now. Also,does anyone know why the owners book says they (TOY) recommend NOT using a weight distrubion hitch set up with the this truck. The dealer stumbled on this question?
    Thanks, Mototroy
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    I have towed only with my '93 Toyota 2wd truck with 22RE engine, all standard equipment. Towed approx. 2,000+ lb. trailer (loaded weight) with bumper hitch and no additional brake equipment from New England to Atlanta with no problems. Hills were a little slow going and max speed was about 65 mph but truck performed flawlessly. That was back at 107,000 miles and the truck now has 134,800 miles with no additional signs of wear. I would do it again anytime, this truck is bulletproof and I would expect your Tacoma to be the same - good luck & please post how it goes!

- Paul_P
  • eng208eng208 Member Posts: 10
    Mototroy,
    I have a 98 Prerunner V6 (first year) and have towed a 53 Ford NAA tractor on a dual axle trailer (approx. 4500lbs.) with no problems. I did add one of the very efficient stacked plate transmission coolers available either at the dealership through TRD or one of the premium parts stores. (Do not use the old style aluminum-copper tubing type) You are correct about Toyota not recommending a "load equalizing" hitch. I looked in my manual. I do not use one for my camper myself. I do not feel the need for it. The truck has the Bilstein shock option and they do an excellent job of keeping it from swaying. On a side note, Toyota does recommend a sway control device for trailers over 2000 lbs. I do not know the difference. Good luck and consider headers and a few performance upgrades if you plan to tow that heavy of a trailer often.
    Chris
  • nukesnukes Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 2002 Tundra. The only problem I have is I find there is way to much non-adjustable lumbar support in the seats. Did anyone else have this problem? Did the seat break in with the miles?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • jferrendellijferrendelli Member Posts: 2
    My wife started up the tundra this afternoon and there was some heavy smoke from the exhaust. I didn't see it when it exited the pipe so I couldn't tell if it was white (coolant) or blue (oil). It's a 2000 extended cab with the V8 and I have been religious with the maint. Has anybody out there seen this problem? I know what causes both types of smoke but with only 36K miles I am very concerned.

I will update the board after I get it in the shop. This board helped me get the brake/vibration taken care of so I owe a follow up to the rest of you.
    Regards,
    Jeff...
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Could you tell me what the shop said? I've had the same problem once also. Haven't seen any of the tell-tale signs (coolant or oil).

Jeff
  • halogenhalogen Member Posts: 20
    I actually live in the Braintree area,Just picked
    up my 2002 Tacoma SR5 4x2,and am wondering
    where the best dealership to have my vehicle
    serviced would be ? Happy New Year all !
  • halogenhalogen Member Posts: 20
    Is anyone happy with there aftermarket flares
    and would like to recommend ? Thanks.
  • m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    The OEM was 195/75R14. I've been running 205/75R14 tires for several years with no problems. Can anyone tell me if a tire in 225/70R14 would work, or what issues I may have?

I am considering some "Dunlop Radial Rover A/T" tires in the last size, 225/70R14. They're also available in 205/75. However, if I can I'll go with the slightly lower profile ratio. As I'd be buying "online", I don't have the luxury to "buy & try".

If this should be on another forum, please advise. Opinions or advice are appreciated.
    Tommy
  • fatcat0331fatcat0331 Member Posts: 1
    Hell I have a 2002 V8 4WD SR5 access cab. some times when I come to a stop and holding the break I will feel the truck kinda surge forward. The first time this happened I though someone bumped into me! this does not happen while I am stopping but after my vehicle has came to a complete stop. Has anyone else had this problem? My vehicle has just over 3000 miles.

Thanks
    Shawn
  • duncanldduncanld Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with damage to the winshield? I have had my 1999 tacoma since november of 1999 and everytime anything hits my window (big or tiny) it cracks and spreads across the window within seconds. As a result I have had to replace my window 4 times. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
  • mptri59mptri59 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased my 2002 PreRunner DoubleCab V6
    3 weeks ago & absolutely enjoy the drive -- but have a question to all those that have the stereo with the CD, AM/FM, cassette with 6 speakers.

The owner's manual (under the 3rd stereo displayed) states that when in the Control Mode the options are: bass, fader, treble, balance and MID-RANGE. My stereo is missing the MID-RANGE option & the dealer is attempting to tell me it's a "mis-print" in the manual and the stereo is "just fine." (Based upon the fact that ALL the Tacoma's in their lot operate the same way). I'm not buying that reason....

The service manager has not been much help -- so I wanted to know if this is in fact a mis-print OR they are dismissing my problem and not really wanting to resolve the issue.

Any info would be most appreciated!

Thanks.....
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    Sounds like you have the driveline thump/axle wrap prob. Some have remedied the prob by greasing the shaft splines - I'm not exactly sure what the complete solution was. Go to www.tundrasolutions.com and do a search on driveline thump and/or axle wrap.
  • aaronnoraaaaronnoraa Member Posts: 2
    Halogen - I have a 2000 extra cab with Bushwacker Street Flares. I think it gives the truck a nice look. They were easy to install and I got them pretty cheap by searching the internet. It was a while ago so unfortunately I don't remember how much I paid.
  • augie707augie707 Member Posts: 1
    2000 Tundra's Differential hums between 70-75 mph. Dealer says this is normal. Does any one have the same problem?
  • imac1imac1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new Tacoma Doublecab and developed a creaking on the right side of the bottom front seat cushion when coming to a stop or turning. Anyone else having any seat squeaking problems? Any ideas on the cause and solution? Thanks
  • danno9danno9 Member Posts: 6
    Fat0331,

I have a Lexus RX300 AWD that does exactly the same thing. I too thought someone hit me from behind. Must be a Toyota trait. Doesn't much matter now though. The leased Lexus gets turned in on July 18th and the just purchased 02 Prerunner is the replacement. I know I am going to miss the plush leather seats in that Lexus.
  • klewklew Member Posts: 10
    Did you have the air conditioning on? When the compressor kicks in, the engine increases power/RPM to compensate for the added load of the compressor, and the vehicle may surge if you're pressing on the brake only slightly.
  • klewklew Member Posts: 10
    I have noticed the front passenger seat creaking/squeaking but only when someone is sitting in it. I discovered the source of the squeaks is comming from the seat belt buckle (when it's buckled in). If you move the thing forward and back a few times the squeaking stops.
  • sidneyoh1sidneyoh1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 tundra that has extremely touchy brakes (not anti-locks). The slightest pressure is like slamming on the brakes. There is nearly no give to the pedal, the brakes engage as soon as the pedal is depressed the slightest amount. At a stop, then starting to roll forward again, there is a bump forward feel, almost like the transmission (automatic)was not engaged, then engages. I know the brakes are a problem, I don't know about the transmission. The dealer has worked on it and adjusted the load level switch, which seemed to work for awhile. Who knows what is my problem?
  • dunkmydonutdunkmydonut Member Posts: 35
    Hello, I was all set to go Toyota this year after owning domestics for 30 years. Then I read on several consumer sites about Toyota having problems with pre-mature oil sludging with devastating engine failure. Hope I'm wrong, but I figured an owner would have heard of this. TIA
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You may find this archived discussion in Maintenance & Repair interesting and informative.

Engine Sludge/Oil Gelling--Toyota's Customer Response

• tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    My 2001 Tacoma 4WD does the same thing, feels like it was bumped in the rear. I had a 97 Mazda 4WD that done the same thing. I think its normal.
  • glenn43glenn43 Member Posts: 15
    Haynes and Chilton won't have manuals published for the 2001 Tacoma 4x4 for atleast another year. Haynes does, however have one out for the 2000. If the engines are Identicle I figure that manual would do for the time being.Any thoughts?
  • vernakvernak Member Posts: 1
    My T100 V6 [150K] automatic transmission hestitates to shift down into first gear when slowing down....I then try to accelerate and it revs up and catches second gear....are there any adjustments or should I prepare for a new tranny?......Fluids are changed every 30K.... Otherwise this truck has been bulletproof with many trips on teh Alcan and back roads of Alaska and Yukon Territory.
  • clevethehunterclevethehunter Member Posts: 2
    I am ready to put new AT tires on my 01 Tundra. I am told the largest I can go to is 275/70R16. Is this correct and adequate? Is adding a 3"lift kit to go to bigger tires worth the costs?

Dick
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Don't know about Tundra, but here's info on Tacoma:

(and you may want to consider to go away from R16 tires....if you are going to put bigger tires, you will want to get wider tires and that means wider rims. Check what the stock rim is, but I think it's 16x7. You can't mount 32s on a 16x7 rim, and also, R16 tires are more expensive than R15 tires)

Stock trucks run on 31x10.5R15 tires.
    To clear 32x11.5R15 tires you need 2-3" of lift.
    To clear 33x12.5R15 tires you need at least 6" of lift. If you don't have that, you'll have trouble with rubbing.
  • floydsunfloydsun Member Posts: 6
    Why did the V6 option go away for the extended-cab 4X2? I don't want an S-Runner or Pre-Runner. Guess I'll go look at Nissan.
  • mtnridrmtnridr Member Posts: 5
    I hope someone can give some insight on what I should do. I bought a brand new 2001 Tacoma SR5/TRD V6 4x4 a year and half ago. Since day one I have had nothing but problems with this truck. Alarm not working correctly, sunroof not sitting in the roof correctly (has had to be fixed twice now) temp guage stopped working, drivers window started to fail (bad regulator) front tires balding after 7000 miles (was incorrectly aligned at factory) rear slider leaking, I have now had 6 gaskets that fit between fender and the body of truck replaced because they were coming off (2 of the same ones), 3 speakers replaced after they all developed bad crackling noises, rattles in the shifter boot and passenger door fixed numerous times, a rattle in the passenger side of dash (turned out to be the airbag was never secured at the factory, just had that fixed again as well) the plastic cover that fits over the rear bumper was misaligned at the factory that it started to scrape the paint off of the rear tailgate when it was opened and close, the dash had become loose and they said it was some broken clips that had to be replaced believe it or not but I could keep going, I was hoping someone could give me some insight on what I should do?

I have called the customer service dept of western region toyota and they opened up a case almost 2 months ago and was just finally told I may have to go through a hassle called arbitration, My dealer has always fixed every problem and the service dept has been very accomadating but I believe I have also. Here is the kicker, I only have 26,000 miles on this new truck.

A little background on how it has been treated:
    A daily commuter, has been up in the mountains 40+ times to go skiing, never seriously offroad, just a few times up forest service roads (which I don't classify as offroading anyways) thats it. Needless to say I don't trust this truck past the factory warranty, because then I will be shelling money out of my pocket just to keep this thing on the road.

I am hoping this is just some fluke on Toyotas part, this is my 4th Toyota I have owned, my last one being a 1990 4x4 truck that I sold with 198,000 miles on it and it was still going strong, My wife currently drives a 96 4runner and we have never replaced a speaker or guage or window ever, and it now has 102,000 miles and we don't intend on selling it for a long time.

Anybody have any suggestions on what else I should do? Any input would be great
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Sorry to hear that.
    My 2002 that I've had since November of last year, 19.5K miles now, has not had a single problem. No rattle, no fender flares coming off.
    Fender flare problem was fixed for 2002s, you may want to point that out to the dealer.
    Tire alignment: Toyota offers free alignment within 1 year/20K miles, essentially a break-in alignment. You should have used it to fix a problem with tires.
    Overall, I think you got a lemon truck. Check lemon laws in your state, I think it's 3 visits to the dealer without problem being fixed, or 30 days in a garage total...something like that.
    You ought to get a new truck through arbitration. If it comes to that, get a lawyer.
  • paulelapaulela Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 01 Tundra last week and so far I love it.Only problem is the center armrest box won't stay shut when I put it in the up position.Any one know of solutions/tricks? Thanks..
  • zoemonsterzoemonster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 tundra and I have just replaced my rotors for the 3rd time. (Although I have 73000 mi on truck, they are mostly Hwy. miles) I still get some "hop" when I put on brakes. Has anyone run into this problem?? or has any advice?? Other then that No problems and Love it!
    Thanks in advance for any and all help
  • garthkygarthky Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Tundra 2-wheel drive regular cab, only has 6,000 miles; however I have noticed unusual tire wear. I took it to the shop for an alignment check and after having some problems getting their computer programed, I was told it was within tolerance. Has anyone else noticed excessive or unusual tire wire?
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • kermit66kermit66 Member Posts: 3
    Check the lemon laws in your state!!! I know what kind of hassle you are going through. I had mutiple problems with a 1999 Mazada B3000 Troy Lee. I didn't get to the arbritation. I traded the #*&% thing off. In hind sight, I should have taken the dealer on. One of the reasons the dealer is being so nice is he doesn't want to dish out a new truck. I hope you win. I'd like to know how it turns out.
  • 01tunterd01tunterd Member Posts: 2
    01 Tundra. Anyone figured out how to wire trailer lights without blowing fuses and without buying the extra wiring harness($150)from toyota? I was told the harness is only $60 for 00 and 02 models.
  • pjedpjed Member Posts: 3
    My right knee is constantly resting on the 4x4 shifter on my 2001 dbl. cab Taco. This irritates me to no end, almost to the point that I want to buy a new truck. The only solutions I can think of to fix this problem are: 1.Get a new seat that will support my leg instead of the shifter, 2.Shorten the shifter somehow by a couple of inches, 3.Amputate the shifter, 4.Sell the truck, 5. Amputate my leg.
    Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me out? Any seat recommendations ways to actually do what I have listed or any other solutions to my problem?
    Try shopping at U-haul for wiring harnesses. Or, try this link http://hitches4less.com/20toytunwirk.html

There are plenty of other places on the web for this, that is just the first one that I pulled up.
  • 02dctaco02dctaco Member Posts: 2
    pjed, i've only had my 2002 double cab for two months and have the same problem. i've had some of the same ideas, including #6 - tying my right leg to the left leg, so it doesn't hit the shifer.

we are going to make a small pillow using a grey washcloth to see if it helps. have the material, just haven't sewed it up yet. bill
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    Did the dealer replace the plastic cover, the rear bumper, or both to fix the scraping problem on the tail gate? I have the same problem.
  • rpankorpanko Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 T100 2wd pickup and continue to have the same tire wear problem. Even after several attempts at alignment by two different garages. I think this time I will try the dealership. Hopefully they have an answer.
    All right, I gave up and bought new seats. I picked up some Corbeau GTSII seats. http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/gts2.shtml

I have not received them yet but I think this will solve my problem. I know, this is kind of an expensive fix,$299 per seat + $80 for each bracket, but I think it will work, I hope so anyway. If not I should at least have some comfortable seats, unlike the stock ones.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    please let us know how they fit you. What are your dimensions(ht./wt)?
    I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. and I find the buckets in my '02 Tacoma ext.cab 4X4 OK for under a 2 hour drive, but then they get pretty uncomfortable after that.
  • alans1476alans1476 Member Posts: 2
    Need help / advise: I live in Hawaii, got a brand new Tacoma Prerunner, V6, 29 miles, love the truck. Temperature gauge is at about 2/3 of way toward H, in 80 degree weather. Is that normal? Coolant level OK, rises when hot, when cool contracts back to correct level (middle of bottle). I think it has 195f thermostat. Oil ok, belts ok. I turned on heater full blast to ensure no air, etc.
    How much heat does a new engine generate? break in period? Would this be the cause? Should I put in a 180F thermostat? What is the range of the temperature gauge corresponding to temperature in degrees? (ie middle is 180, 3/4 is 220, H is 240?)
    I am concerned. thanks
  • barbour1barbour1 Member Posts: 17
    I have an 02 Tacoma,it has less than 3k on it and has developed a variety of noises coming from the dash area,loud vibrating buzzing,thumping sounds and squeaks. The dealer-ship kept it 2 days to try to correct the problem.They told told me that they 'tightened-up some clips' and installed some type of insulation.As I drove home all these noises were just as bad,if not worse than before.I returned the truck to the dealer.They said they will try again but really don't know where to start.They will call when they feel they have it corrected. Any-one else had this problem? Solved?if so what was done to correct it?
  • yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    BARBOUR1, I also have a 2002 V6 Prerunner and am having the same problem with the dash. My rattling seems to be coming from the air bag compartment. I also took it in and the said the it was loose wires on the ECU and that they filled it with foam, but it continued as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. I am taking it back in one week. I read above from the one guy that had all those problems that he also had a noisy dash and that it was a problem with the air bag. I also have a pinging noisy coming from my engine block. Does any one know what this might be? Let me know that happens at the dealership.

Yosmany
  • davedave1davedave1 Member Posts: 45
    I also have a taco that developed dashboard area noises. [and my ideas]

Noise 1: Appeared to be related to hood vibration; at a stoplite i could see the edge of the hood nearest the middle of the windshield vibrating. The vibration stopped when I accelerated, the rattle stopped too. I have experimented with a pice of inner-tube thickness rubber, super gluing it on the center hood stop [rubber wedge near wind shield] and that vibration has ceased so far.(couldn't find any hood adjustments that would help.)

Noise 2: Still comes from the passenger airbag area. If I press my hand on the airbag cover, the noise stops. I guess if I take out the glove box, there may be a way to tighten something. In the meantime I am going to try to work a very thin piece of foam between the airbag cover and the dashboard (closest to the windshield to see how long the fix might last. IF it does then I'll point it out to the dealer.

Hope these ideas help....
  • riddlejariddleja Member Posts: 6
    I have had many airbag/dashboard rattles and I think it finally got fixed. I went through the same ordeal of taking it to the dealership, having them put foam in various places -- usually behind the dash cover, and nothing really being fixed. Today, I just picked up my truck and I think they finally got it. They did something to the computer mounting brackets (apparently, it sits near the airbag and can sound like the airbag is the problem, but it's not). They did the same foam treatment, except they did it around the computer. So far, it's working (but I only got it back today). I'll let you know if it starts rattling again.

Riddler

• riddlejariddleja Member Posts: 6
    Bad news: the rattle is back.

Good news: it's not quite as bad. It's tolerable so far - I doubt I'd notice it if this was the way it originally was, but since I've been having rattling troubles, I'm sure I'm subconsciously listening more than the average guy. I'm going to give it a little time to see what happens. I haven't tried the foam strip near the windshield, maybe I'll try it next. I did see some foam at Lowe's - it was 1/2 inch round foam designed for caulking windows/doors. Is that what worked for others?

Thanks,

Riddler

• ricknavyricknavy Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2002 TUNDRA WITH 17000 MILES. RECENTLY DEVELOPED A RATTLE ON DASH AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. SEEMS LIKE PILLAR AREA. SOUNDS LIKE KNOCKING AND NOISE. TAKING TO DEALER THIS WEEK. ALSO NOTICE HOOD VIBRATING ON HIGHWAY. LOOKS FLIMSY. HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS.
This discussion has been closed.