Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    I would go with the Legacy, hands down, personally.

BUT, may I make one small suggestion ... go shop at Freehold Subaru and see what numbers they give you in comparison. I have not had good personal experiences with Pine Belt.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Pat didn't move your posts... the message about Altimas does not apply to you.. ;)

Regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aiwa112aiwa112 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone with a Mazda3 and drives in areas where it snows, how does it handle in the snow? My friend has a Honda Civic 07 and he says the Civic handles ok.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I recently bought an 08 Honda Accord -- but I, also, was looking at the Acura models. I don't know if this is important to you, but you might consider the fact that the Acura models will be replaced next year with new models. I don't like the "keeping up with the Jones'" routine - but I also was unwilling to buy a TL that would look like the old model less than a year after I bought it!

With regard to the Subaru's -- great cars -- but make sure you like the transmissions. I do lots of highway driving - and I have always had to dismiss the Subarus because of their transmissions. I don't remember exactly, but they run at well over 3000rpm when cruising at 80mph. I realize the engines are made for high RPM. But, I simply do not like to have the engine spinning so fast when I'm on a flat road. Simply stated, and for reasons beyond just the RPM issue, I don't feel that they are great road machines. They sure are good looking though and, with the exception of some Volvo models, I think they are the best cars ever in snow and ice! :)
    my brother-in-law does and has reported no problems.
    Its FWD, so its as good as any other FWD car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    To zdonut316 - There seems to be some confusion going on here, sorry 'bout that.

Your post here is fine, but you will find more TSX owners over on the TSX board. I assume you are considering a new one? Try the 2008 Acura TSX discussion to start with.

That Altima business started somewhere else and I knew it didn't have anything to do with you. :)

Good luck!
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Most acuras & subies are excellent cars (duh). Which do you like the best? Which dlr. is closer to you for service, etc.?

The TSX lease is a bit cheaper. Does it have a nicer interior than the Subie (probably)? Do you need AWD where you live? etc. etc.......

PS-are either of these "Mfg" leases? Or thru a finance co?
  • zdonut316zdonut316 Member Posts: 9
    The Acura TSX is now out. I'm no longer considering it. I drove one for a while and its just too small for me. I don't know why, but the subaru feels bigger to me, but its the EXACT wheelbase and only 2 inches longer?? I'm now tossed between the Acura TL and the Subaru. I got the Subarul down to $2500 down and 337 a month...nothing more all included. I'm gonna see if they can throw in the factory subwoofer with that too. If so, I might just close the deal on it. If not I'm more interested in the TL...thanks for the input. Gonna try to make a decision tomorrow.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods. I bought my car from the aforementioned dealer and was treated very nicely with a good price. I would take a Spec B over a TSX any day, but that's me. The AWD system on those cars are awesome.
  • aiwa112aiwa112 Member Posts: 7
    thanks qbrozen. the only FWD car that is bad i heard is the Lancer, 3 of my friends have one and they said its horrible in the snow, so thats why im not considering that one
    well, that usually comes down to tires, not the car. Mitsu probably puts tires on there that are lousy in the snow.

which aforementioned dealer?

I don't think I realized we were in the same area, either.

Honestly, I don't particularly "like" either dealer. I could at least handle Freehold, though. They tried to play games, but when I called them on it, they immediately backed down (this was on my sister's Dodge). Pine Belt, on the other hand, were just jerks all around, frankly. And its a shame because, growing up, my father bought ALL of his vehicles from them. Times have changed, though. I did buy my wife's Forester from them back before I was better educated on car shopping, and I deeply regret it. Went back to them 2 times in the years since just to give them another chance. They aggravated me both times, so I've never returned.

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I can't advise as to reliability - my experience with both vehicles (in general, not necessarily 2004) is from renting them.

I think the grand am is a touch more sporty.

Also, you can probably get a high mileage one very cheaply from a car rental place.

Last comment, the value of the '04-'07 Malibu is probably down significantly becuase of the 2008 redesign.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    "I'm now tossed between the Acura TL and the Subaru"

Guess this reply is coming too late, but I can't help myself :blush:

As an '04 TL owner, my advice is that if you get into the TL and go "wow - what a beautiful car!" Then go with the TL. It's great looking, its features work very well (though some features, like auto-start and automatic headlights, are missing) and it accellerates well-enough for most.

If you're not wowed by the interior, go with the Subaru GT - it's lower end torque means its faster during everyday maneuvers, and unless you're going for a TL-S, the handling might be even.
  • scruffysscruffys Member Posts: 4
    I have narrowed the field of 4 cars to these two for my new car. I have a 2006 Ford Fusion and can't stand to drive the car. The M3 is a 2007 on the dealers lot with 100 miles on it, the Civic is an 2008. I drive 20000 miles a year and can't decide which car would be the best. Any Pro/Cons as far as maintenance, or materials in the cars?
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Both cars seem to be relatively trouble free and materials are topnotch for this class. Maintenance wise, you'll probably burn through tires, brakes faster in the 3 because you'll likely drive it harder.

Just curious, what can't you stand about the Ford Fusion?
  • scruffysscruffys Member Posts: 4
    Besides the gas mileage which at 23mpg or 24 mpg with a tail wind. I don't like the way it feels on the highway. The car drives nice to a point but when the wind blows or you get close to a semi it feels like I am being pushed all over the road. I think (and have since I have had it) that there is something wrong with the brakes. Feels like they were dragging and now at 33,500 miles they are making more noise. The dealership has said that there is nothing wrong with the brakes, and they just checked them again last week and said they are fine.
  • according2u06according2u06 Member Posts: 95
    I would go with the Civic if getting great gas mileage is the top concern. You should be able to get 40 MPG easily in the Civic on highway, or 32/33 combined. But then it also depends on the way you drive. As far as stability in windy condition goes, I don't see how going to any of these two vehicles is really going to help. Both the 3 and the Civic are much lighter than the Fusion, so unless something is wrong with your car(suspension, tires maybe?), you probably won't see an improvement in that regard.
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I like the Altima but would really like a car with traction control....I also seem to see an Altima every time I turn my head on the road. The Aura has traction control and is cheaper but their quality concerns me along with the gas mileage with the V6. Thoughts?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Altima 3.5SL comes with Traction Control standard, and offers the option of Stability Control. The 4-cylinder Altimas (Base and 2.5S) do not.

The Aura is a pretty heavy car with the 3.5L (over 3500lbs), so I understand your economy concerns. I don't have first-hand experience with the car, so i can't help you otherwise.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I like the Altima but would really like a car with traction control....I also seem to see an Altima every time I turn my head on the road. The Aura has traction control and is cheaper but their quality concerns me along with the gas mileage with the V6. Thoughts?

Honestly, while traction control is nice, it's hardly a requirement. I've been driving a maxima through 5 Michigan winters with the 17" low profile tires, and it's been fine. The ABS is a much more useful feature for winter driving, IMO.
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    The 2 comments received were actually very good in terms of the Aura weight and your personal experience. Sister in law lives in Michigan so I know this winter is extremely brutal. I actually started looking at the Subaru Legacy Limited today and am impressed...smaller then the Altima but similar price and seems to have everything needed to handle itself in any weather condition.
    The subject line says it all. My folks are looking for a new highway/travel car. They have a 2007 Civic for running around and getting good in-town mileage, but they need a new car for traveling. They've looked at the Hyundai VeraCruz, and plan to look at the Taurus Sedan this weekend.

Here are the important issues:

Front Seat Room and Comfort
    Ride Quality over Sportiness (the Civic has the Sporty Part down pat :))
    Good highway power
    Under $30k, preferably lower
    Avoiding the Accord/Camry V6 models
    Decent (25+) hwy mileage a plus, but not a hard-line number

I've suggested they look at the Taurus, Azera, Edge. I got quotes on the new Malibu LTZ and they were ridiculous (over $28k) in this area. The one quote I got on a Lucerne CX was over $25k; much too high for that vehicle with such a behind-the-times powertrain.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, and I"m looking for all input! Remember; ride-comfort and seat comfort, along with highway power are the big issues here!

:) TheGraduate
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    No Accord or Camry? (too bad, I keep hearing about great deals on leftover 07 accords)

Taurus and Azera are good calls; you just have to think there are good deals on the Taurus out there.

Or maybe the Sable variant; how many people can a Mercury dealer have walk through the doors these days?

There are oddballs out there, like the Mitsubishi Galant...those look roomy and highly incentivized.

A friend has a Saab 9-3...great seats and stellar gas mileage for what it is; he has put over 100k on his with few issues (turbo 4, not the 6). They always have a huge rebate.

Saturn Aura? Never see them, so they can't exactly be flying out the door either.

Fun game... :shades:

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Remember; ride-comfort and seat comfort, along with highway power are the big issues here!

Seems like the Toyota Avalon would be a great fit! It's very comfortable and has plenty of power (268hp) for highway cruise. :)

Or have you thought about the Sonata V6? It's fairly comfortable and has a lot of power too! Plus, you'll be able to get a lot of options for the same price as other vehicles....

May I ask why not the Accord? I thought you love your car a lot and the 08 Accord presumably has even better, more comfortable rides and less road noise than the 7th Gen Accords.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    That was my first thought, but if the Lucerne and Malibu are too high at 25-28K, then an Avalon will be WAY too high. Great car, though.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

The Avalon tarted up with options goes right out of their price range. Otherwise, it'd be on the short list already. The Sonata (I mentioned it already, but I think in a different forum :)), my folks felt, was trying to be an Accord but failed. They couldn't help but keep comparing it to the Gen 7 Accord and feeling like it was lacking. Good suggestions otherwise! :)

May I ask why not the Accord? I thought you love your car a lot and the 08 Accord presumably has even better, more comfortable rides and less road noise than the 7th Gen Accords.

I love mine, but frankly, my dad wasn't impressed by the EX-L 2008 he drove. He had a 2003 and a 2005, and drove them over 100k miles combined. The news one's interior falls a bit short for him, as well as me - too busy looking.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Another car frequently overlooked is the Amanti. It has the same powertrain as the Azera now and has been upgraded quite a bit recently. Looks like it would be a comfortable, roomy cruiser and probably available at big discounts. I peeked into the car at my local auto show the other day and it looked quite nice. Someone next to me remarked, "Just think, we could have bought this instead of that used Cadillac!" They seemed impressed, anyway.
    To me, if the Taurus is homely, the Amanti is just plain ugly. :sick:
    I don't care much for the looks of the Amanti or the Taurus, but I'm not going to tell someone else whether a car looks good to them.
    Exactly; unfortunately for Kia my folks share my (lack of) enthusiasm for the looks of the Amanti. The Optima looks nice, on the other hand.
    CPO 330i ('04-'05 can be had in the mid-$20k range with low miles, high 20s gas mileage, quite comfy and quiet)
    CPO S60 2.5T (heck, you can typically get a leftover or demo model for the mid-$20k range, again high 20s mpg on the highway, and quiet, also FWD if bad weather is a concern and you don't want to deal with swapping to winter tires like you would with the bimmer. A CPO one with low miles should dip down in the high teens for price.)

Yeah, a fully loaded Avalon probably wouldn't work. But what about the Avalon with touring trim? It's pretty well equipped already, with features like leather seats, auto climatic control, sport-tuned suspension. And according to the Toyota's website, it's listed with a MSRP of 29,325, which is under the 30k requirement you mentioned. Also, assuming you can get the car for around the invoice, that's another $1000~$2000 off. I am by no means mindlessly pushing for the Toyota (Actually I prefer the Accord overall, which is not an option, as you said), but based on your(parents') criteria, the Avalon just seems to be really, really a good fit!
    :D

Also, how long do your parents plan to keep the car? If resale value is important, going domestic is probably not a very good idea (It's the truth, no offense against domestic vehicles). :)
    This would be a 5-10 year vehicle, I'd think, so resale isn't terribly important, although it's still worth thinking about. The thing to remember is that if you spend less upfront, you lose less.

Say in 5 years a $25k Avalon is worth $10k and a $20k Taurus is worth $5k. The same amount has been lost in resale.

I'll mention the Avalon Touring to them. My dad drove some friends' Avalon Limited not too long ago and was very impressed with it.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    thegraduate, perhaps you should have your parents test drive the Malibu 2LT for about $23,000. It has everything that you desribed. Incredible good looks-arguably the best of any midsize or fullsize, inside and out. Power (258 bhp, zero to 60 in 6.5 seconds). Extremely quiet--no wind or road noise. Great sound system (210 watts, 2-subwoofers, 8 speakers, 6-disk CD changer, XM satellite radio). All the safety features (ABS, traction control, stability track) including OnStar turn-by-turn navigation system with built-in hands free cell phone.

One more thing, if they want leather instead of the suede on the 2LT they can install after-market leather which is much more supple than anything factory installed. That's what we did with our LS and got a $40K look all for under $21K.

If they are not smitten with the Malibu, then they are not yet ready to buy. By the way, I drive an Avalon XLS and it does not compare with the Malibu 2LT or LTZ.
    If they aren't smitten over the new Malibu then they aren't ready to buy...

I haven't been in the new Malibu, but one pull of the exterior door-handle told me the quality didn't match that of the Honda (the handle on every one I pulled wiggled around up and down, as if made of rubber). Unfortunately Honda doesn't offer what they're looking for at the moment. We're all in Hondas right now, so I guess you could say we're extra sensitve to build quality, as we're used to the best in the business for under $25k (Accords for me and a Civic for them)

They haven't given up on a Malibu, but the one quote I got from a local dealer was over $28k BEFORE taxes and fees for an LTZ.
    perhaps you should have your parents test drive the Malibu 2LT for about $23,000. It has everything that you desribed. Incredible good looks-arguably the best of any midsize or fullsize, inside and out

That is not my impression of the car. It think it's ugly compared to the '08' Honda. And the quality of the materials were just OK. We all have different yardsticks in measurments of cars. One persons luxury car is another persons bottom feeder.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    That is not my impression of the car. It think it's ugly compared to the '08' Honda. And the quality of the materials were just OK. We all have different yardsticks in measurments of cars. One persons luxury car is another persons bottom feeder.

kds --- I think your views and opinions are in the minority and do not describe the 2008 Malibu. The quality of the interior materials, fit and finish, and ergonomics are best in class and even equal to those described as entry level luxury sedans.

the graduate -- Maybe it's time to begin changing your perceptions of the car a little more. The door handles are firm and competent even more so than the Volvo S70 that we traded in and my Avalon XLS.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    If I did not care about $3.50 gas I would have gotten the Si and have some fun.As it is I got the Civic sedan because I had to please the wife.My first tank got
    36 mpg which is comparable to the Fit which I like except for the lack of power and it lacks storage space for CDs,etc.The possible mistake I made was getting the extended warranty to 120k miles.I will probably never have to use it but when the basic warranty is up I'll have no reason get rid of it.I had considered a prius but
    lack of power bored me. At least now if I want to waste gas I can use all 140
    horses at my leisure. ;);)
    I'm not going to change my perceptions until IT does. The Ford Taurus actually did, giving me a positive impression of Ford. The Malibu, so far, hasn't (pull out your handle with the door locked, and you'll see the handle wiggles up and down easily).

Bad first impression of what might be a great car otherwise.
    If I did not care about $3.50 gas I would have gotten the Si and have some fun.As it is I got the Civic sedan because I had to please the wife.

You know the Si comes in sedan form, don't ya? :)
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    There are some great deals on Taurus or Sable out there:
    http://www.dalejarrettford.com/ad/DaleJarrettAd.pdf
    I bought a Sable over a month ago, and think I got a good deal:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f166ea9.f166af7/23
    I have less than 500 miles on it, but I really like it so far.
  • hklhkl Member Posts: 9
    Don't feel bad, I did the same. It is for my daughter, so I don't want her to saddle with the premium gas consumption of the Si. I drove a 98 Prelude, but my son bought it from me. After a month of driving, the EX (coupe) is not so bad, as I am getting used to it. My daughter will never know what she is missing, since she didn't drive the Prelude.The EX is a 5-speed manual. I go back to my Accord V6.
    Yes indeed. I saw an ad in the Minneapolis StarTribune yesterday for new '08 Taurii for just under $19k, and slightly used '08s for just under $17k. That is a lot of car for the money, especially considering what you would pay for a car like the Avalon with comparable power and room.
  • skyblu88skyblu88 Member Posts: 3
    I am getting ready to purchase a Mazda3 5-door.

Does anyone know if it is worth spending the $14.00 for the CR vehicle price report from CR, or is the same info available here on Edmunds?

Thanks!

:confuse:
    Mazda 3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Try poking around this board, asking whatever questions you have; you might find some answers! It'll let you know what others are paying.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Grad.

Tell them to test drive an Azera and see it they like it. One of my buddies has one and it's a fantastic car. '07 Limited w. Ultimate pkg. Sticker was $31K+. He paid $25700 last April + $189 doc fee + TTL. Great car, great highway cruiser.

Maybe they'll like it, maybe they won't...but they won't know unless they test drive it.
    I've mentioned it to them more than once. My folks are open to nearly everything except Chrysler products (burned by them twice). At the moment, a local Cadillac dealer has two Cadillac DTS sedans, 2007 models, both around 15,000 miles, for $28,990. That, compared with a Toyota Avalon XLS quote I received for $29,598 + $399 doc + tax ($1400 or so) makes the Cadillac look like quite a deal.

Trust me, nothing too much is ruled out yet, except the VeraCruz.
    Sure a used Caddy with 15K miles makes a new Avalon look like a great deal. Any user car makes any new car the deal of the century. I would soon as drive around in a new Avalon than a used DTS :blush.
    The Avalon XLS was still more expensive than the Caddy... that's the problem. They were trying to stay under $30k, and that cant do that without stepping into a base model XL.