Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    The Volvo does not move me

Really?
    Huh. I think the new one is gorgeous, personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    Having a hard time selecting between 2 used cars. Any insights or links to other info/boards would be appreciated

2004 Accord EX, cloth, 69K miles, one owner and well maintained

2007 Elantra GLS with good options, 30K miles, prior rental car

Close in price. Accord is a bit "more car" that we need, but think we will be getting a more reliable car. We are car keepers. This one will be the second car, and used mainly for short distance commuting.

Like the newer safety features on the Elantra, and see that initial quality has improved. Stats on long term reliability (from CR) are not impressive.

Clearly not apples to apples..and that is what makes it tricky!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace!

Those are two of the cars under discussion in this topic: Midsize Sedans 2.0. You'll also find individual discussions (lots) in the Accord group and the Elantra group.

Folks around here are very familiar with both models for several generations back, so I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions.

Good luck and have fun!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    We're discussing the Elantra in Midsize 2.0? I know it's technically midsize, but I didn't realize it was "allowed" in that discussion.

Who knew? :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I know that there are many posters in that particular discussion who are intimately familiar with both vehicles. I'm sure they (including you ;)) won't mind helping her out there. I don't see very many of them in this topic very often.
    I'd be happy to, wherever it may be. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First, consider that any stats on long-term reliability on the Elantra are from a different generation of car. Going back to the Gen 3, 2001-6, the reliability is actually quite good. (I've owned two from that generation and had very positive experiences.) So you have to go back to the Gen 2, designed in the early 1990s before Hyundai's big push on quality, to get a car that has not proven highly reliable. Since you've looked at CR, you have probably noticed the Elantra is one of CR's top-ranked small cars (actually is their Top Pick in SE trim) and is Recommended.

The main downside to the Accord is that it has 69k miles on it. At that mileage, parts can need replacing at any time--brakes, struts, battery, exhaust system etc. So be sure to have the car thoroughly checked by a mechanic to see if there's anything that might need work soon. There is of course also no warranty on the Accord, but there is still at least 3 years (maybe more, check the in-service date from Carfax) and 30k of factory bumper-to-bumper warranty left on the Elantra.

I have been looking around a lot lately at used cars in this price range, roughly $12k. There's a lot of good ones out there at that price, including some 2006-7 loaded Mazda6i Sports (very nice cars and fun to drive) and 2006-7 Sonata GLS I4s, all with low miles. Interestingly, I've found the 2007 Elantras actually are priced higher than some mid-sized cars like the Mazda6 and Sonata, with similar miles. The Sonata has an advantage of ESC too. In fact I am currently trying to decide between a 2006 Mazda6i Sport with 40k miles, a 2005 Mazda6i Sport hatchback with 40k miles (red and pretty hot looking), and a 2007 Sonata GLS I4 with moonroof with 35k miles, all in excellent shape and all for around $12k. The best I've found in a 2007 Elantra is around $12.7k with about 30k miles, for a GLS with moonroof. I am also toying with the idea of getting a 2000 323i that has only 40k miles on it.

This is definitely not apples to apples, so it is hard. I won't drive the car much, maybe 7500 miles/year, so the extra FE of a car like the Elantra doesn't mean much to me compared to a car like the Mazda6i or Sonata I4. The Accord is a fine car too, but I'd rather get a newer car under factory warranty than get an older one with more miles.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
  • leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    Very helpful. Thanks.

What is FE? :) I also won't drive the car that much..which is why $12K is the top of the budget.

We hadn't even looked at the Sonata. Mainly because I started looking at Civic, Fit, Matrix. Moved into Elantra and Accord as I looked into features/safety on older models.

I like the suggestion of checking out the Sonata. The Mazdas weren't on the list. Safety and reliability in CR didn't compare to Honda. Though, I didn't look into the 6..only the 3. It seems like the prices in my area on the Mazda's are higher than what you are finding. But..I haven't dug too deep. Probably should check some more before making a decision.

Thanks for helping me think more broadly.
    Fuel economy.

The Mazda6 is pretty well regarded by CR, and is in fact Recommended. I encourage you to take one for a spin. They handle great for a mid-sized sedan, and the prices are a lot lower than comparable Accords. For example, I've found a 2006 Mazda6i (I4) that is pretty loaded (17" rims, ground effects and spoiler, power seat, CD changer, leather wheel with audio controls, 5-speed automatic etc.) for around $12k at 40k miles. I found a similar car that's a 2007 with 27k miles that I think I could get for about $13k with some haggling. Be sure to look for a car with the side bags/curtains--these were optional on the Mazda6 until fairly recently.
    Leonfam,

Listen to backy; he won't lead you wrong. :) A big proponent of Hyundai products, but he's been served well by them (as I have Honda) so his like of Hyundai is justified, for sure.

The Mazda 6 and Sonata are good choices indeed, and offer more features for the dough than the Honda will; the question will be with whether or not you like them as much, or actually like them more! They are drastically different (the 6 and the Sonata), and the Accord falls somewhere in the middle.

Good luck, and I'll check in a little later!
  • giny1giny1 Member Posts: 3
    Nissan Altima 2.5, 2009 model around $21,500 or a 2005 Infiniti G35x on the high end luxury side. You can get one of these, recently off lease with 30,XXX miles (still a baby), leather, Bose, for around $20,000
    well... to be specific, Infiniti is not really "high end." Its on the lower end of the luxo side of the camp.

As far as choosing between these two, its a matter of your needs and desires. The G35X is a ton more fun to drive, far far more powerful, a bit nicer inside, quieter, etc. But it sucks a helluva lot more gas (I'm getting 21mpg on premium in mixed driving) and of course is used.

So what do you want? Good gas mileage? Or a near-luxo sports sedan?

I made my choice. No way in hell I was getting another FWD economy family sedan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm a proponent of buying new "appliance" type cars. After three years, when you're used vehicle is long in the tooth and 6 years old, the Altima will still be fresh. I don't know if it's consideration, but the G35 will also suck gas.

Good luck on your decision.
    Flip side to that, of course, is that you may not like your "appliance" after 3 years, whereas you may still like the higher-end vehicle, even though 6 years old.

But one can test drive the "applicance" to know if it is for them. Of course if you don't like the Altima, you shouldn't buy it. But I would think your thought wouldn't be as applicable, especially as gas prices rise and a six year old G35 is sucking gas down. But if one is comparing an Altima against a used G35 there are also other choice to be had.
    Sure. One would hope you like tha appliance to some degree. But sometimes you convince yourself because you feel it is financially prudent.

And I do speak from experience. Leased a new Accord. Got fed up within 18 months and dumped it at 27 months for a used G35X. :)
    About 7 miles less per gallon, but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather be happy with my ride than save $2.50/day in gas.

About 7 miles less per gallon, but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather be happy with my ride than save $2.50/day in gas.

And then there are some of us who do both. :)
    And I do speak from experience. Leased a new Accord. Got fed up within 18 months and dumped it at 27 months for a used G35X. :)

There is no doubt on day one the G35 would be more fun. However, in three years, I would rather be drivin the Altima. I'm not a proponent of buying used mass-market vehicles. And I don't. After I got rid of my BMW I bought a new appliance car.

X years later I've come to the conclusion, I'm happier with my appliance than I would have been with a 6 year old entry level luxo sedan. Of course, the dang turbo is killing my gas mileage. :)

7 mpg is a huge difference when you drive 20 to 30K a year. I would rather pocket the $2.50 and in three years still have a vehicle under warranty.
    That's fine.
    That's why there are choices.
    Plenty of folks (the majority, in fact, as sales numbers indicate) are happy driving appliances.

Personally, I know the vehicle I was happiest with for the longest period of time was a entry-luxo sedan I bought used. Bought it 3 years old and kept it till it was 8. Warranty wasn't an issue. HOWEVER, that's me. You make a good point about warranty because when I'm making recommendations to friends and family, I take that into account. If I know the person knows little about cars, drives them without thought to repairs, and does minimal maintenance, then I try to steer them to a new appliance rather than a used luxo-car.

Although, if you have a turbo, it doesn't sound to me like you bought an appliance. :)

• 06stang06stang Member Posts: 10
    My sister-in-law is shopping for a used crossover for around $20k-$25k.

Would she be better off buying a 2007/2008 Ford Edge or a 2004/2005 Cadillac SRX V6? She likes how the Edge is newer, but thinks the SRX is more stylish and luxurious. She asked me for advice but I'm not sure what to tell her...
    I'd always go newer mainstream over older luxury, but that's just me. You can some Edge's very well equipped these days. To me, the Edge is the more stylish vehicle, with the SRX looking more like a station wagon.

The real question is does she need three rows?

The Ford will still have warranty, most likely. The Caddy won't.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    I'd go Edge; more likely to have warranty and can be had pretty well equipped, as grad said. The SRX does not have the strongest reliability scores, either...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• bjc2bjc2 Member Posts: 28
    i am thinking about trading my 2001 elantra in for 2009 kia spectra 5 dr sx.
    anybody have any info on them?
    thanks
    If you can wait a few months, you might want to check out the 2009 Elantra Touring 5-door before getting the Spectra. The Touring is a newer design with some advantages over the Spectra, the biggest of which IMO is standard ESC.
  • geobluegeoblue Member Posts: 71
    Get a Corolla.Does not matter how old it is.It can be a 94 as long as it is well cared for.It will last you a lifetime and will not cost more than a couple of thousands.

Do not get into debt.
    I agree with your brother. Save your money. You are NYC so what the heck you need a car for anyway?

If you really must have one, I'd get a beater for the cash you have on hand. Its just going to get trashed in the city anyway and you won't need it that much that it needs to be something incredibly reliable.

I want something that is a good compromise between Cost, Fuel Economy, Reliability, Insureability, and style.

I agree with previous posts that the most practical thing to do would be to get a car you can pay cash for. You should be able to find a good small economy car for your $4500. The $300+ you save each month in car payments (and extra gas and insurance) because you didn't buy a $20,000 car like a used Maxima can be used for many things, including having some cash on hand for the inevitable repairs an older car will need.

However... you said style is important to you. And it is your money. So a compromise would be a small, stylish, economical, reliable, fun-to-drive, and relatively low-cost car such as a used Mazda3i. Other options would be a used Civic coupe or maybe even a Celica (my all-time favorite car from my 20s). Since you are 22, are single (yes?), and live in NYC, a small car would be your best bet vs. something like a Maxima or Altima. You might consider a small hatchback, for their versatility if not their style. You could even pick up a new hatch like a Yaris or Versa for around $13k if you get a stick, or you could get a used Mazda3, Rabbit, Elantra, Matrix/Vibe etc.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Stick shifts are a bummer in city driving...and I thought that when I was in my 20's with "city" driving which is nothing like NYC driving.
    Yes, but for a 22 year old who probably won't be driving the car in town much (due to great public transport in NYC), a stick might be fine. I've seen lots of taxi drivers with sticks in the congested cities of Europe and Asia, and they seem to handle the sticks with no problem in that kind of environment. It's a way to save some bucks--up front, and on gas (especially in town), and on maintenance down the road.
  • vslacksvslacks Member Posts: 3
    We currently have a 2004 Audi A4 and a 1999 Jetta GLS TDI. We've just recently paid off the Audi and the Jetta is in need of a new clutch, new brakes, and it tends to stall or not start with increasing regularity. So, my wife is going to take the Audi and I'm going to get a new car that will mostly be used for commuting.

I'm considering the Mazda3 hatchback Grand Touring model or the Honda Civic EX-L. Though either would be a step down from my Audi, I'm treating myself to the bells and whistles so I don't feel too deprived :-) I'd like to get the nav system on either one, though it looks like finding models equipped with nav is difficult.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two cars? I'm going out this afternoon to do test drives.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i would add the new malibu you can get deals and lots of options are std on them. i would also add a mini. but be careful if you test drive one you will buy it. seems 4 drs are in order so a mini clubman . great resale value in a small bmw brand. lots of fun to drive. and exceptional mpg. also big discounts on altima.
    If you can wait a bit, the 2010 Mazda3 will be out soon and is a re-design with a lot of improvements.

If fuel economy is real important to you, the Civic will top the Mazda3 there. But IMO the Mazda3 is more fun to drive, and as a hatchback much more versatile than the Civic. The test drive should help a lot. Be sure to drive the cars over the roads you would normally commute on. I've found both cars have quite a bit of road noise, probably moreso on the Mazda3 with the low-profile tires. I recently drove a 3 for a few days on LA freeways and would describe the ride as "punishing".. not pleasant to put up with every day. If you want a quieter ride, you could go for something like the Malibu, or maybe the Accord or Fusion. Camry and Sonata would have softer rides also, but given what you have and are looking at I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy with their handling.

I am curious why you aren't considering the Rabbit or Jetta this time? Also have you considered getting a portable nav unit? Since the car will be used mostly for commuting, it doesn't seem you would need the nav much. That would reduce the price quite a bit and give you a better choice of cars.
    Hi -

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't considered the Malibu - perhaps out of some fear of buying a Chevy right now given the state of American auto makers.

Yes, I think I probably will look at a portable nav system so that it can be used in both cars. I'm an electronics gadget guy so I think I'm probably compensating for the step down from the Audi with as many gadgets as I can :-)

Perhaps I should look more closely at the Rabbit. Frankly, I've been a bit disappointed in the reliability of our Jetta which is probably why I've shied away from them.
    I did consider the Mini - in fact, it was the first car I considered. My main concerns are that they can get pretty expensive once you start tacking on the options and there's little to no negotiating leverage given how popular they are.
    Trust me, you're not the first person who has been let down by VW/Audi reliability. I hope you have better luck with your Audi than the VW.

Personally, I like both the 3 and the Civic (I'm a 2-Accord owner here, but am not overwhelmed with Honda quality as of late - never been stranded, but had a few niggling issues with my 2006 Accord; misaligned gas-flap from the factory, inside rear-view mirror glass wasn't attached, and actually fell out of the housing, needed a new center console lid because the fabric came unattached around 33,000 miles, and a new CD changer was necessary at 37,000 miles; all covered by warranty).

Have you test-driven anything yet?
  • steve8731steve8731 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to car buying (I've never done it) and can use some advice. I am 27 and about to buy my first car. I just got my license and am trying to figure out what I can afford and what to get. I've heard that a car payment should not exceed 20% of your monthly salary, so I was thinking a car that costs between $9,000 and $11,000 would be best for me. Hoping for a monthly payment of $200 - $250, these are my choices that are in the same tier.

1. post-2006 Honda Civic Coupe
    2. 2006 Mazda 3
    3. 2005-06 Nissan Altima

Any advice would be great
    It looks like you could go with either a compact or mid-sized sedan, so here's some other choices in your price range of $10-11k:

* 2006-7 Mazda6i
    * 2005 or 2005.5 VW Jetta (get one VW Certified, with warranty if at all possible)
    * 2006 Fusion or Milan
    * 2007-8 Sonata
    * 2007-8 Optima (but be careful, most do NOT have ABS/ESC)

I've seen all of these in your price range, and they are all pretty reliable and safe.

If you go with a Civic, try for a 2006+ (I know, hard to find under $11k). They are much improved in crash safety over the pre-2006 Civics, and all trims have ABS standard. A used Mazda3i is a good choice, but be sure it has the optional ABS and side airbag package.
  • steve8731steve8731 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I was really leaning towards the Honda when I came across the Mazda3. For some reason, I don't like American cars. Whether it be the style, reputation, or the negative feedback I have gotten from friends, I just don't see myself driving one. Here is a little extra info about my position...

I am 27 with a medium-high risk credit score. The most I can honestly afford would be $250 a month. I am worried about insurance, but gas should not be a problem. (I live less than 1 mile from work.) Is it even feasible to get financed for a car that much at a dealer or should I look towards another lender. I have already been turned down by Citibank via www.lendingtree.com and I fear that asking for money I might not get will do more harm than good. My girlfriend told me that dealers will only finance a car that is 5 years old or newer. Is there any truth to that?
    No, dealers will finance anything they sell as long as your credit is good enough. Credit is tighter these days. The turn-down by Citibank isn't a good sign. But keep trying.

If it were me and between a pre-2006 Civic or a 2006 Mazda3, I'd take the Mazda3 in a second. A whole lot more car.

Another thought, if you continue to have trouble securing a loan, is wait until you can save enough cash for a decent car. It might not be a $10k car, maybe a $3k car, but it will get you to/from work and on dates with your girlfriend (or maybe she can drive ;) ). If you have a little cash saved now, you could save enough for such a car in less than a year. As an example of what you could get for that kind of money, my oldest son drives my 2000 626 ES now as his get-to-college car. It has a private-party value of about $3000, has 102k miles on it, but it runs strong, everything works, body and interior are still good.

Another route many young people take is to borrow money from parents or relatives. You can give them a higher interest rate than they could get on savings, and you get a car. If you do that, draw up a formal loan agreement though--treat it just as seriously as a bank loan.
  • stemeelsstemeels Member Posts: 3
    Here are the quotes I got:
    Honda Civic EX: $18,398
    Mazda 6 i touring: $19,450+$1250(sunroof)=20,650 ( I like sunroof)
    What would you choose based on the performance of the cars and their prices?
    Thanks.
    What would you choose based on the performance of the cars and their prices?

Mazda3

;b

• SmittypowaSmittypowa Member Posts: 14
    If you had the option to get this car for about $13K-13.5K with under 20K miles, would you do it?
  • mpe3mpe3 Member Posts: 2
    I' m seeking some advice. I currently own a 2001 Accord lx-v6. Great car, but time for a newer one. Looking at a Black 2008 Accord EX-L 4cyl with 14k mi. Dealer is asking $22,979 and will sell it for $22,500. Not sure what to counter. I'm thinking $20k. Dealer is 100 mi away and I need to see it in person.
    Any thoughts?
  • compnovicecompnovice Member Posts: 1
    I found a Altima on craigslist and ran the carfax report. The report says :

" Are you buying this car? Then make sure you are buying it from a licensed dealership. Otherwise, you could be a victim of curbstoning, which is illegal. A curbstoner poses as a private seller to sell vehicles for a large profit. Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer."

The rest of car history looks clean..

I called up the owner and she said that she works for a dealer and the car is with her. She is going to show the car at a local target but said that final paperwork will be done at the dealer. I searched for the dealer on google but coul not find any information.

Does it seem like a scam or I am reading too much into it...
  • leif2leif2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2008 elantra with Anti lock brakes and Kumho tires. Living in Minneapolis, there is alot of snow and ice on the roads. The elantra reqires much more stopping distance on snow and tires slip more on packed snow than my previous car, a 96 mazda protege. I could not make it up a sloping hill with packed snow. that never happened in 7 years with the mazda.

I love the new Elantra but the loss of traction is a real concern. Would different tires make a difference. The elantra is heavier than the protege, so do not understand why the traction would be less favorable.
    lnw
    Since you live in a place like Minneapolis (I also live in the Twin Cities), maybe you should have bought the Elantra SE with traction control (also electronic stability control).

Tires could make a big difference. You might get a good set of winter tires. Also your Hyundai is considerably more powerful than the Protege, with more torque, so you may need to use a lighter foot than you are used to in such conditions.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    backy, to your valid points, one must also consider the "type" of snow. (It may not have been an issue in your area.)

The most slippery roads we get in CT is when there is rapid accumulation and the temp is freezing +/- about 2 degrees. That's because the snow will start to melt but will then freeze as more snow falls. We had one of those storms about 2 weeks ago. No more than a half inch of snow & cars were sliding all over. There's a bad hill near my house. During that storm there 2 cars facing sideways at the first curve. I turned around and took an alternative route.

When the temp has been in the 20's for a sustained period and the roads are colder, I can get up that hill (but it is still an adventure).
    I figured he meant the slippery, packed snow that we often get when the road has been plowed but not down to the pavement. It's more like ice than snow. We've had that a lot on secondary streets this winter. Traction control would help on roads like that, but unless it's a very steep hill a combo of winter tires plus a very light throttle might do, especially if the Protege was able to handle similar conditions. I don't think Proteges of that vintage had traction control.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    If you do goggle search you will find examples of Curbstoning. Simply put, if you can't do the deal at the dealers place of business "stay away". Most states have laws against it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=s0&oq=curbstoning&ie=UTF-8&rl- z=1T4GGLJ_en&q=curbstoning+meaning
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    Buying a vehicle a 100 miles away from home can be a hassle if you need service.
    I recently purchased a used 2009 Murano. Upon delivery I noticed the center dash electronic display would shut off when the lights were turned on. The dealer gave me a rental and it was repaired in a week. Luckily he was only a few miles away and I picked it up after work.