Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Only if there's not ANY dealer of the same make closer. You can get warranty/service/maintenance at any dealer of the same make and expect the same service. Buy your new Murano in Orlando and get the screen replaced in Seattle. It doesn't matter.
  • yukayuka Member Posts: 9
    Traction among tires varies considerably depending on rubber compound and tread design. You can go to tire rack or discount tire and check out tires for your car with tread wear performance, wet and dry braking, traction, etc. Here is a link to what they say about the Kumho original equipment tire.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Sol- us+KH16&partnum=055HR6KH16V2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=62

It is an all season tire = compromise and balance. They are made to perform average in all conditions. You might need a snow tire in your climate. And SOME all season tires do have more aggressive tread patterns for more winter driving. Check it out. :)
  • travfam1travfam1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I was wondering if the headlights from the 09 Accord Coupe will fit the sedan. I'm considering the 09 Accord as my next vehicle, but I don't care for the way the headlights bulge on the side. If anyone knows of this or has successfully done it, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
  • anthony22anthony22 Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to decide between a 2009 Honda Accord or a 2009 Toyota Camry.
    I like the Honda and my husband likes the Camry. He is not real crazy about the racket pinion steering on the Honda, I love it.
    Trying to get an out the door price on a Honda Accord. Can anyone give me what they have paid recently. How about a Toyota Camry. Looking at the basic model, no extras?
    Has anyone compared the two?
    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Here's a few thoughts on it... often people like the Accord because of its crisp handling, especially when compared to the Camry. And people tend to like the Camry because of its smooth, quiet ride. If this is true in your case, here's some ways to mitigate the difference:

* Try the Camry SE, which has sharper handling than the other trims.
    * Try the Fusion or Milan, which have a nice blend of ride and handling that many people like. Also the Fusion/Milan are rated above Accord and Camry in predicted reliability by Consumer Reports, and they cost quite a bit less in real-world pricing than the Camcord. If you can wait a few weeks, the 2010 Fulan will be out with many updates including more powerful engines and higher fuel economy.
    * A couple other cars you might check are the 2009 Optima, which also has a nice blend of ride and handling and has excellent predicted reliability, and the Malibu, which has a good ride/handling balance and is rated close to Accord and above Camry in predicted reliability (assumes you don't mind taking a chance on GM at this point).

If you will both regularly drive the car, it's important you both like how it drives, for the sake of continued domestic bliss. :)
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The chevy malibu should also be on the list. Lots of choices -- all safe reliable vehicles. Test drive them all then deal online -- great prices all around. You will have to work much harder to get the best price in the showroom than online. Take the time to testdrive all the contenders and be happier with your choice.
    Uhm... I did mention the Malibu. :confuse:
    Sorry -- concentration level a bit on the low side today.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    If you enjoy driving buy the Accord. If you want quiet comfort buy the Camry. Hard to go wring with either one.
  • nydnyd Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am new to this. I want to buy an accord for my mom. She probably isnt into high performance or gadgets, but can anyone recommend which one to buy to get nice seats for her? If you dont get leather what are the seats like? Do all come with lumbar supports? Some people dont like the lumbar supports.

Many thanks, we want to buy car tonigh.
    That is really great of you to buy a car for your mom. I hope she has driven the Accord and likes how it drives and feels to her, including things like use of controls. The Accord is a fine car, but it has a firm ride that is not to everyone's liking, and its controls have been panned by many professional reviewers for their complexity. So if mom hasn't driven the Accord yet, that would be a good idea. Then she can try out the seats for herself and see if she prefers the cloth, or leather.
  • mavrick83mavrick83 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

This is my first post here. i'm a 25 year old guy who is looking to buy my first car (when i say my first, i mean i will be paying for it, been driving for years). There are soo many choices out there that i have no clue what i want. here is a list of cars that i have thought about over the past year.

Jetta
    GTI
    GLI
    Audio A4
    Challenger
    G37 (sedan)
    C300 sport

I'm trying to get something sporty but something practical as well.

In this recession, i am not sure if i want to spend a whole lot of money on a car, so now I'm trying to get the most for the buck.

any ideas? maybe something else that's not listed?

I'd prefer to lease, but i know a whole lot of people who tell me to buy, any ideas on this as well?

Thanks,
    At 25, I hope you're making awfully big bucks to be shopping $35,000+ vehicles (and I'm not talking down to ya, I'm 21 and a senior in college :) ). Personally, I'd avoid VW/Audi products thanks to their iffy reliability and sky-high maintenance costs. The Dodge does nothing for me either.

Have you thought about something like a Mazda 6? Mazdaspeed 3? Honda Civic Si?

Personally, I put more than 12,000 miles a year on a car so leasing is out of the question. But, I feel like at the end of paying on a car for X number of years, I'd like to have something to show for it. Leasing feels like renting, to me. You pay and pay, and when the lease is up, you give it back. Not a big fan, personally. Id rather buy something, finance for 4 or so years, and then have no payment for 3 or 4 years and keep the car. By then I'll have 150k-200k miles, and be ready to upgrade.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    I too prefer to buy rather than lease, it's always good to have something in your hands when the payments are done. In your price range, I would be looking at a mustang Bullitt. :)
    If you are really looking for something sporty but practical, and would like to minimize your costs on the car and get the most for your buck, then one good option is a slightly USED Jetta/GTI/GLI (GTI with the hatch being most "practical"), one that carries the VW Certified warranty or still has factory warranty left, which your VW dealer can extend out if you want piece of mind. From what I've seen you can get a nice VW Certified Jetta 2.5 starting around $12k + T&L, more for a GLI/GTI of course. VW also still has 2.9% financing for 60 months on their Certified cars, I think. I went that route on New Year's Eve on a 2005 Jetta, and added 6 years of bumper-to-bumper warranty (total of 8 years) on it so it will be covered through the time I intend to own it (it's going to my daughter in a few years for school). Total financed was about $14k, that in included the 6 extra years of warranty, all taxes/fees, and a small payoff on my 328Ci. Total payment with the 2.9% financing of $266/mo. Car looks and drives like new, and I don't have to worry about paying for anything other than regular maintenance for 8 years.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Backy makes alot of sense.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'd avoid VW/Audi like the plague. Even if you buy new, or have an extended warranty, the routine maintenance costs are sky high. Have a friend who is a traveling salesman & bought a new Jetta TDI. first 36,000 miles freen maintenance; then he took it in for routine 40,000 mile service & got hit with a bill for over $450.00!

Check Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, the posts at Edmunds & you'll see that the VW/Audi product is near the bottom of everyone's list when it comes to reliability.

I'm not a VW hater. I drove over 40,000 miles last year & would love to be able to justify the purchase of a TDI; but compared to just about any Japanese brand, the maintenance costs alone more than wipe out the fuel savings.
    Check Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, the posts at Edmunds & you'll see that the VW/Audi product is near the bottom of everyone's list when it comes to reliability.

CR recommends the Jetta and Rabbit (i.e. the VWs we are discussing here). They don't recommend cars that have poor reliability as determined by their surveys.

Also we aren't talking about the TDI here. And $450 is not unusual for a major service interval done by a dealership these days... sad but true. Another way to state your friend's experience is that he paid $450 for maintenance over the first 40k miles. I don't think that's bad at all.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    then he took it in for routine 40,000 mile service & got hit with a bill for over $450.00!

Hardly out of the ordinary and hardly a measure of a car's maintenance costs. Problem is that alot of folks fall for the "scheduled maintenance" chart provided by the dealer rather than the manufacturer. You would be shocked if you saw the chart provided me by my Honda dealer. If I followed it, I would have been out somewhere around $750 before hitting 40k miles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sarahblaissarahblais Member Posts: 2
    After looking at several compact sedans, I think I've narrowed my choices down to a 2009 Mazda 3 S Sport or 2009 VW Jetta S California edition (automatic transmission.) Both seems similarly priced around $16,500 (not including taxes and fees.) The warranties are also similar. VW also includes 3 years scheduled maintainence. But I'm concerned after hearing about some issues the reliabiltiy of VW...
    The Mazda 3 price is through their S-Plan Pricing, so I'm assuming it can't go much lower. Is $16,500 + taxes and fees a good price on a VW Jetta S (the sticker price was $18,400.)
    Any input or suggestions?
  • clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    You might as well look at the Altima too. It's Consumer Reports #1 car, and gets better fuel economy than the Accord and Camry. In fact, it's more car for less money. Drive it, and you might like it. A LOT!
    It's misleading to call the Altima "Consumer Reports' #1 car." The only"#1" thing about the Altima related to CR is that CR has the Altima 3.5SE ranked at the top of its "Family Sedans" grouping at this time, one point above the Accord EX-L and two points above the Camry XLE. But... for CR's Entry-Level Family Sedans category, (i.e. under $25k), the Accord LX-P (MT) edges out the Altima 2.5S by 3 points. More significantly, when it came to picking the overall best Family Sedan, in CR's "Top Picks", they chose the Accord over the Altima--mainly because the Accord has standard electronic stability control, which is hard to find (or not available) on most Altimas.

But that being said, the Altima is worth a look... as long as ESC is not important to you.
    I understand that CR has a buy rating for the Jetta. But that doesn't change the maintenance costs.

As for what constitutes reasonable maintenance costs we'll just have to respectfully disagree. In the first 40,000 miles on my 06 Avalon total routine maintenance was approximately $265.00 (8 oil/filter changes & an air filter.) Recently had the 120,000 mile maintenance done & it came to $495.00. Compare that to the 110,000 mile maintenance cost on a TDI or Jetta.
    Right on. If you don't insist that your service provider - & I include some independents - provide only what's required by the Mfr. you're going to be taken for a very expensive ride. You need to be familiar with your car's service requirements because the dealer sure isn't going to volunteer this information.
    I found it tough to get an Altima equipped how I'd want without spending more than the competition when comparably equipped. To get certain features, you pay for expensive packages. Hopefully you can find what you want, otherwise, your getting more features for more money.
  • macmacmoomacmacmoo Member Posts: 3
    DH and I want to buy a minivan. now it's up for grabs on whether we really need one or not, DS was born recently and we are sort of musing over having another DC in the next year. DH is currently deployed. when he get back in May we get to move from Atlanta to Seattle. We currently have a Honda Civic and a Saturn SL2 both are 2002's or is it 2003... anywho the thing that is given us the most want for getting a minivan now instead of later is the thought of moving cross crountry in a sedan. granted all our stuff will be going by way of moving van. its just the getting of DH, DS, and I to the other side of continent that is a little concerning. if we buy a van we will sell DH's saturn

Anywho we have been setting aside money to go towards a minivan for a little since it is something we knew we wanted to get at some point. basically since both out current cars are paid off we been putting aside $300 a month to "pretend" we have a payment and eventually use to go towards a down payment.

So I suppose the first question I have is when to buy? DH gave me the ability to be able to buy without him and all trusting my judgement and all. I'm okay with that but i prefer not to. Or do I wait till he get back and we try to do it during the two we have in atlanta before we actually move? or do we suck it up and just wait till we get to seattle... or do we just flat out don't get a mini van?

The next question is if we get one which one? Our biggest thing is Safety. but after that we don't really know. I suppose cost would be next. we are looking at $300 a month payment... $350 if we really really had to... We are leaning towards new and perhaps a Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyuandai or Nissian. I'd like some comforts: power seat controls, tinted back windows, nothing too fancy. We aren't really fans of the wood looking stuff and prefer cloths seats to what ever the other thing is lol.

hmmms not sure what else i can add... but yelp!
    Yes, I guess we'll have to disagree. But I think we should be comparing apples to apples, e.g. a gas engine Jetta to similar gas engine cars, not a TDI to other gas engine cars.

Reviewing the maintenance schedule for my Jetta 2.0 (gas), I don't see much in the way of pricey maintenance needed for well past 50k miles. For example, only one oil change is spec'd every 10k miles. Even if it's synthetic (not required for my car but a good idea), it's not much money. I plan on changing the oil on mine every 5k miles because I put less than 10k miles a year on the car. And I see inspections but not a lot of parts replacements. If a VW dealer charges too much for such basic maintenance, do it yourself (e.g. oil changes and filters) if so inclined, or find some other place to get the work done.
    If you want a basic minivan with some convenience features and excellent safety, and spend as little as possible while buying new, the best values on the market today are 2008 Sedonas and Entourages--HUGE rebates and discounts available on those, plus closeout discounts. I have seen advertised prices on Sedonas around $15k. They are not the best minivans on the market but have capable powertrains, decent ride and handling, a good set of convenience features even in the base models, and the 10 year/100k Hyundai/Kia warranty. And they are IIHS Top Safety Picks. Not as good as the Odyssey and Sienna, but maybe $8000+ less.

The Chrysler/Dodge minivans are also available at excellent prices now, but I see two big problems with them: 1) a question of how long Chrysler will be around, and 2) IMO the interiors have a cheap appearance, especially on base models. Also I hate the exterior of the 2008+ Chrysler/Dodge vans, and much prefer the previous generation inside and out (in fact I own a 2007 Town & Country LX, bought used last year for $11k). The Chrysler/Dodge vans have Stow-n-Go, but that's about it.

As for used... that is another option to consider if you really want to save money. With minivans falling out of favor for many people today, there are excellent deals on slightly-used minivans, which can be had with a Certified warranty.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Do you really want a minivan? The reason I am asking that question is that I feel that a minivan is somewhat overkill for a family of 4. Why not go for a small MPV like a Kia Rondo? Rondo seats 5 or 7 (based on config), has tons of airbags & is very safe. Plus, it is smaller than minivan, making it easier to drive & park.

Why not take a look at a Kia Rondo & see if it works for you? It makes a great vehicle as a family carrier.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    >Do you really want a minivan?<
    Yes, they probably do. Kids may be small now but they will grow, and you also wind up transporting their friends . . .Toyota Sienna is very easy to drive and park.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • asp123asp123 Member Posts: 3
    Currently I am looking at the following vechiles,

Altima 2.5 SL
    Acura TSX
    Audio A4 2.0 Quattro
    Mercedes C300

I know that they are in different price ranges so it's a bit hard to compare... I'd like something practical but also enjoyable to drive. Any suggestions on these four or another model? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Going with a premium name brand means higher maintenance costs, therefore, less practical. If I were choosing between these cars and my price range were up to $30k, I'd probably take the Altima and get the V6 model. You do have quite a range of prices here though, so its hard to tell what is the best fit for you.

Do you place more emphasis on brand name, or on features? Engine power? Room?

Have you checked out the Mazda 6 Grand Touring?
  • asp123asp123 Member Posts: 3
    The most important thing to me is probably features, followed by engine power as a close second. Room is semi-important though not too much as 90% of the time I'd be the only one in the car. Brand name is nice but not really important. I have not checked out the Mazda 6 - thanks for putting it on my radar. I'll take a look and take it for a test drive this weekend.
    If its features and power on your list, check out the 3.5SL Altima (95 more horses than the 2.5SL) as well as the Mazda 6 S GT, and it'll be cheaper, roomier, and less expensive to maintain than the C300 you're interested in.
    If features and engine power are important, and since brand name really is not important, another car to check out is the 375 hp Genesis V8, which starts at around $35k--in the ballpark pricewise of the A4 and C300.
    They also mentioned fun-to-drive.
    I had a lot of fun driving a Genesis 3.8 on a test course. More than I would driving the likes of an Altima at least.
    I haven't driven one, but everything I've read (and granted, it isn't a lot) talks it up as a big powerful car that ultimately drags its mirrors in tight turns.

I'd write more, but we're about to get a big thunderstorm, so laptop is getting unplugged!

Night all!

TG
    Definitely did not "drag its mirrors" and actually took very sharp curves (much sharper than real-word turns) amazingly well for such a big car. And in fact out-handled a CTS I also drove on the same course, and the CTS is supposed to be a better handling car.

Anyway, it's about the same size outside as the Altima (but bigger and much more luxurious inside), just a bit more $ than a loaded Altima 3.5, and in the same price ballpark as other cars being considered--but a LOT more power. So many choices!

P.S. try putting a battery pack in your laptop... then you can carry it around, and use it during a thunderstorm. ;)
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    As others have stated, the cars on your list are very different. Also, posters have made additional worthy suggestions. My suggestion is for you to go to the Edmunds car selector and choose the criteria that are important to you. The guide will then list only those cars that meet your selected requirements. Consumer Reports has a similar service but you have to be a paid member of their online magazine in order to use it.
    P.S. try putting a battery pack in your laptop... then you can carry it around, and use it during a thunderstorm.

Haha, well, if you want to fit the bill for the $173 battery that Sony wants for this Vaio's new battery (it lasts about 30 minutes now that its worn out) I'll be happy to let you. Otherwise, I'll just use this bad boy when its plugged in! :P
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Helping my son make decisions. He will spend $12,000 to 15,000 on a used car. He really likes the Altima and can get a 2006 with mid-high 30,000 miles for about 12k. He can get a 2008 with mid 20,000 mileage for 15k+. These are all pretty entry level cars without upgrades.

I vote for the 2008 because it had warranty left on it and comes with lots of airbags and ABS. Some of the 2006's have ABS, but not side airbags. He is 19 and could care less about safety.

He will (without a doubt) be putting bigger rims on it, I've herad him mention 20's, 18's minimum. He WILL be putting in a sub, amp and head unit (wants some DVD thing). So there is no point in getting one with upgraded sound and steering wheel controls.

This stuff will void out parts of his warranty, right? Making the warranty on the '08 less of an issue.

Altima redesigned in 2007? Is that year one to stay away from? I had told him re-design years are usually bad. I have an 06 Murano that is great (really low miles though) and read horror stories on the early model years, that is why I am afraid of the 2007. SHould we be afraid of the '07? 2007 would give him a little warranty...I like the idea of him getting the "newer" design for value, but the '06 has a nice price! (most of the cars with good prices are fleet or rentals)

OR, he hasn't looked at the Accord. HOw does that compare safety wise, price wise?
    Accord will run a little more than a comparable-miles Altima. Safety-wise, the Accord got side airbags and standard ABS long before the Altima. The V6s even got standard ESC with the previous generation (in all Accords starting with 2008). But I guess that's a moot point, since you said your son could care less (sic) about safety. If you are able to change his mind on that, you could probably find a nice previous-gen Accord I4 with ABS and SABs under $15k. A V6 might run a little more.
    If it were me, I'd go with a 2006-2007 Accord. The bugs were all worked out by then, and 6 Airbags (Head Curtain, Front, and Front Side) with ABS are standard equipment on all models.

It received 5-star frontal crash test ratings from the NHTSA (an admirable 4-stars on the side crash test), and a "Good" rating on frontal and side crash tests from the IIHS.

The fact that this Accord is from the previous generation means it should be somewhat cheaper than if it were a current-generation model.

According to Kelley Blue Book, you should be able to get a 2006 Accord LX (4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic) for $10k-$13k, assuming 60,000 miles.

A 2007 Accord LX (4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic) with 30,000 miles should be in the $13k-$15k range.

The 2007 is identical to the 2006.
    LX models come with the power amenities expected in this price class (PW, PDL, A/C, Auto Up/Down driver's window, keyless entry with remote roll-down windows, 6-speaker CD, Cruise Ctrl, lighted vainity mirrors and glovebox, etc). You aren't paying for the alloy wheels that come on the uplevel EX trim level cars though, something to consider since he'll be getting larger wheels.

Hope this helps!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The '07-'08 Altima and the '06-'07 Accord both have 5-star Frontal crash ratings and 4-5 stars in all other categories. The '06 Altima also has a 5-star Frontal rating, but side impact is only 3-stars.

According to Consumer Reports, the '07 Altima is more reliable than the '06, despite being the first year for the redesigned model. The '06/'07 Accord have the highest CR Rating for Reliability (Much Better than Average) and the Altima is 'Better Than Average'.

I definitely suggest taking a serious look at the Accord. For '06, they added the 'LX
    Special Edition' model which adds EX's alloy wheels, 6-CD changer and a few misc trim changes. Those SE models and the EX 4-cylinder are the best of the bunch. An LX V6 could also be had for under $15k, if you can find one.

I just bought an '07 LX V6 with 22k miles for only $16k. It's a Honda Certified Used Car, so that includes powertrain coverage to 7yrs/100k miles!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    A few other things I forgot to mention in my previous posting...

A lot of late-model Altima 2.5S models are former rental/fleet cars. You don't want to end up with one that's been abused, so it's best to steer clear of them. Honda doesn't sell to rental fleets, but it's still a good idea to pull a Carfax on any car before you buy it!

Besides the Altima and Accord, have you (or your son) considered the Ford Fusion? A 2007 (or 2008) model with V6 is well under your $15k budget. They also have a 5-star frontal impact rating and have been very reliable. The V6 isn't quite as powerful as the Altima or Accord's V6, but that could be a very good thing for a 19-yr old.

The audio modifications (especially a new head unit) may be an issue. The Altima and Accord have non-standard 'head units' that are integrated into the center control stack. See below-

2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    You can buy a brand new Honda Fit or Scion in that price range. New car warranty, latest safety and lots of add-on accessories to customize the car. By the time you add wheels and tires to an altima you can trick out a new Fit [my choice] but don't know your son's taste. And yours as well. By the way, is dad footing the bill?
    There are fitments made for new stereo equipment, at least in the Accord you pictured.

• whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I did some looking last night and I'm sure the Altima can be made to fit an aftermarket head unit. The Accord I think can be made to accept it, but not as easily, and doesn't look as good. I think he will lean to the Altima.

Therefore, do you think the '07 will be reliable? I guess I should ask on a Nissan specific board. Always leery of new model year.

I'd prefer the Honda for the safety rating, but at least I am pushing him toward the '07 and '08 Altima which have more safety features than the '06.

Hubby and I just saw the Ford Fusion yesterday in a parking lot and liked it too. Problem is that he has a Taurus that he is dying to get rid of and I don't know if Ford has the image he wants. He wants to get rid of the Taurus because it has integrated climate control and he cannot change the head unit. It CANNOT be done. I'll have to look at the Fusion some more and point it out to him. What year did that come out? Long term reliability is a big question on new designs, isn't it?

I know there are smaller cars out there, like the Fit, but I grew up in a bigger is safer household and still hold that belief. I wish he could afford a Maxima! (so does he)

We paid half on his very used Taurus and will throw him about $2k toward this one. He is footing the bill for the rest. He goes to college and works A LOT. He will be paying for all his upgrades too, and any increase in insurance.
    Problem is that he has a Taurus that he is dying to get rid of and I don't know if Ford has the image he wants. He wants to get rid of the Taurus because it has integrated climate control and he cannot change the head unit. It CANNOT be done. I'll have to look at the Fusion some more and point it out to him. What year did that come out? Long term reliability is a big question on new designs, isn't it?

The Fusion made its debut in 2006, and according to Consumer Reports, has better reliability than the Accord, Camry, or Altima. Class-leading in quality and reliability, and not bad to drive either. Plus, it looks distinctive and sharp, unlike the big-butt Altima, and relaitve yawns of the Accord and Camry (I'm 21 years old and like the Fusion exterior better than that of my 2006 Accord). The Accord's interior from 2006-2007, however, is as good as any in my opinion.

Trust me, the Fusion "ain't no Taurus." :)