Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• texasnightowltexasnightowl Member Posts: 31
    I have a hard time being interested in the 2010 Sonata...it's just so....blah. Especially after seeing in person the 2011. I mean, the price would be right but I just don't know if I could make myself buy it.
    I have looked at a Mazda 3...and it wouldn't be a bad option...I guess I should put it back on my list.

GTI comes in 4 doors also, I believe...just maybe less common? I prefer 4 doors anyway...I'm tired of the very long (56" !!) doors on the Camaro. Can be hell in tight parking. Is the FSI/TSI engine in the GTI as reliable as the 2.5 in the Rabbit?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    They are less common, but you can get a GTI with 4-doors..

You seem to like Jettas.... .why not a GLI? They are a little harder to find than a GTI, but they all come with 4-doors. ;)

Plus, they depreciate faster than a GTI... even though they cost more new, most of the used ones have lower asking prices...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2010
    Well, re: Jettas...of the cars I've test driven recently I like the way the Jetta handles/feels the best. That said I have not tested any Golfs or GTIs. (I've tested Toyota Matrix, Prius, RAV4, Ford Fusion, Mazda 3, Hyundai Sonata, and the TDI Jetta. I've thought about looking at a Chevy Malibu, but it doesn't do much for me either.)

GLI depreciates faster? The used ones I thought I saw seemed to be running higher than the GTIs but I'll check again.
    That's my experience in looking for '08 and '09 GTIs and GLIs... The GLIs were at least as cheap..

An '08 GLI for just under $20K seems like a pretty good deal.. Most of the new ones that I shopped were $28K-$29K MSRP. Same tight suspension and turbo drivetrain of the GTI in a 4-door sedan package... What's not to like?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks, Backy and Gbrozen. Will check out the Legacy and Accord.

They have owned 3 Camrys and like that type of ride. Budget is low-mid 20's. Won't buy a Toyota at this time, as you might understand. I'm looking at the '11 Sonata for myself and would like to give my '06 Sonata to them but they won't be able to see well enough out of either of these, especially the '11. And there's no way they can operate a NAV! The Accord looks like the visibility will be better, especially if the driver's seat can be raised quite a bit. They have looked at Accords from 1987 - 2000 but they are too short for whatever models they looked at. These might not have had a heights adjustable driver's seat.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Regarding reliability, so far I am hearing good things on the 2.0T.

The GTI came with 4 doors?? I had no idea. Man, now I want one! :sick:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• _omg__omg_ Member Posts: 2
    If select trim Altima 2.5S + Premium Pkg, Is it DVD video playback?

Or Only DVD audio playback?

thanks.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Didn't you just get a newish Altima recently or do I have you confused with someone else? I personally really liked the 2010 Sonata with the power seat option...very comfortable seat for my spinal issues. The 2011 model looks very nice also, I've seen quite a few on the road lately. Would love to interest the wife in a '12 model for her next ride but she's leaning towards the Mazda 3s size which she already drives.
    Should be interesting to see what she chooses.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hey sandman!

Nope, I'm not the Altima guy. I was the Sonata shopper, though. :)

These are my rides.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    The Accord has come a long way since the mid 90's but it's time for it to stop growing and go back down to the previous generations dimensions. The '09 that we rented drove really nice with very good gas mileage. Just like a larger Civic. Love the Sonata and would like for the wife to try one. Sure enjoyed my test drive.
    Guess it's time to retire your '96 model...it has served you well.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Considering its value won't drop much as I continue driving it, I'll likely hang onto it awhile longer. I'm commuting 50 miles a day for work now (down from 72!) so putting the miles on that is helping keep the value of my '06 up. :)
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2010
    I just got rid of my 2008 mazda I New value and it came loaded . I would have to pay $3000.00 more for what I bought in 2008 if I puchased the a Mazda with all the goodies I have in the VW.
    I never ever thought I would buy a VW. It has a quiet cabin and no road noise and does it have torque. The gas mileage is unreal.
    Heated seats, sunroof and bluetooth(didn't want it,but it came with it. Like I said after all the horor stories I 've read about V Dubs they have it together now.The GTI,2.5 Golf and TDI are cars to try. 18k range Golf 5spd,2.5l sunroof heated or cooling seatsand a/c glovebox. Base model starts at $ 17,400.
    The GTI felt better to me than a Mustang that cost ten k more. Fun ride. :shades:
    puffin1 - thanks for your input. There is an awful lot to like about the VW's. I really liked the TDI Jetta I drove but between the price (24k) and some reports I've seen about failing fuel systems (high pressure fuel pump) I'm a bit wary of the TDI's until the new-ish Common Rail system in them has a bit more time.

However, the GTI or gas model Golf's or Jetta's are still a viable option. I could probably score a deal on a base model of either one near the top of my price range. However, I'm probably not going to be looking to purchase until September/October so it'll depend on what they have left on the lots since the 2011 Jetta will be coming out new and different.
  • diana_elainediana_elaine Member Posts: 26
    New here ... woman alone, trying to find a good used car under $6,000.00.

I'm looking at the Altima ... found one in local paper: 08 for only $2,800.00, which sounds too good to be true. I emailed and asked mileage. Waiting to hear back.

I've read many Altimas had engine problems, intake manifold gasket, and valve cover gasket, along with some catching fire?

Please advise on this year ... any information would help.

Also, if you'd like to throw out a few makes and models for me to consider .. I'd surely appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
    Diana
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Something doesn't sound right about that deal. If I had to guess that vehicle has either been in an accident, requires major repairs or some type of misprint in the ad itself.
    Or, even more likely.... it's a scam.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for replying Alamocity. Here's the e-mail I just received from the seller:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

Thank you for your interest in my 2008 Nissan Altima. I have
    recently divorced my wife, this Altima used to be her car. This Altima

is in excellent condition, it has no engine problems, no cosmetic damage

or hidden defects. All power equipment works perfectly.
    The car has 41,471 miles, it's an automatic transmission, it has a
    clear title with my name written on it. My asking price is $2800, I have

no need for this car and want to sell it fast. The car was dropped
    at a local shipping company in Pine Bluff, AR and it will be shipped
    from there if necessary for inspection and test drive before you buy it.

I really need to sell it ASAP as I am undergoing special military
    training, getting ready to be shipped to Iraq.
    Get back to me if you are interested in purchasing and we might have a
    deal.
    Here are the link to some pictures of the car:

http://s847.photobucket.com/albums/ab32/Customer1468196/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If I ask him anything ... what should it be? Ask about accidents, repairs, etc? Anything else?

Thanks ever so much,
    Diana
    Hi kyfdx: a scam? how so? I mean .. it's listed in my local paper .... how does one scam you with a car ad?

Read the email I received from the seller .. the 'dropping off' sounds strange to me. What do you make of it?

Thanks so much,
    Diana
    And another one, that seems too good to be true:

2006 Honda Accord: 4 door sedan with automatic trans., 2.4l engine, midnight black with tan leather, airbags, abs, AC, CD, Loaded, garage kept, runs great $2,900.00
    edited May 2010
    I would verify that the owner has a clear title and would recommend that you have the vehicle inspected by a professional to verify that the car does not have any mechanical problems, been in an accident or gone through a flood. The black book trade in value for the base 4 door Altima with auto is somewhere around $11,245 so if this is indeed an up and up deal it's a steal, just be very careful that it's not one of those too good to be true type of deal.
    I'd say the same rules apply on this one as well. Just wondering if you're seeing these on Craigslist as I've read some stories with less than happy outcomes.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Yep. These are classic craigslist scams. Tread carefully.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have listed legitimate vehicles on Craigslist and had people try to scam me as buyers. This is a scam. Don't fall for it. When I see these cars listed at ridiculously low prices on Craigslist, I know they are scams. Evidently, people fall for this. Don't do it; you will be sorry.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If this car is as good as the seller says it is, he could bring it to Nissan dealership and walk out with a lot more than $2800 cash. So something seems VERY fishy here. I've heard of cases where a divorced person sold a car or other asset of their spouse at a ridiculously low price out of spite. I wonder if that is going on here...
    They claim that the title is free and clear in their name ... I say 'they' because, I've wrote to a few of these ads, and am getting back replies, that sound similar, I hate to say. Bummer! I had a suspicion, it was too good to be true... there's not just one or two at this price, there are many. The stories I'm hearing of why they're selling, are somewhat in the same 'groove'. I'm going to Iraq, my wife is leaving me, I have personal problems ... etc. etc.

These are being found in my local paper, and I'm surprised and angry, that they're allowing scams to be run ... today I'm going to talk to someone at the newspaper.

Tell me though: do any of you know, just where do they get these cars? Or are there really NO cars at all, and the scam is, to get your money? I can't imagine, that there's really any car at all, because there's no way, they would have ALL these cars for those prices.

Oh .. and here's a website, the last person linked in her e-mail: http://www.expertadls.com/

She told me that this company is handling the deal. Another told me this:

The car is enlisted in the eBay VPP program so this deal must go through them.
    Nope .. not craigslist, my local paper (online).
    You know, I'm wondering if these are also listed on Craigslist ... because I've been seeing them in my local paper, but they might be listed in both places.
    Thanks temj12: the more I email these people, the more I realize they can't be true .... the deals are too good to be true, and just sound too strange. Don't worry ... I won't do anything, I would even love to email them back and tell them off.... but I'll just let it go.
    OK, so I went and looked at some cars on a local car dealer's lot. The cars have a Free Carfax Vehicle History Report and a clean title guarantee. 3 month or 3,000 miles warranty, or they have extended warranty service plans.

There are two cars there, that I feel are pretty good deals, but have some hesitations.

1. 2002 Saturn SL1, 28,000 miles: $5,900 - it's in excellent condition, outside and in. I haven't test drove it yet ... might today. Blue book for that is: $5,100.

I researched it a bit online, saw that they had problems with that year ... leaking oil, and even when repaired, the seal doesn't hold. Uses lots of oil also. Do you guys know anything about that?

2. 2001 Nissan Altima, 62,000 miles: $6,400 - also in excellent condition. Blue book: $6,800.

It's under BB value ... so that's a good thing BUT, I read that the engines can catch on fire, or at least some of them ... and trouble with the intake manifold gasket ... also valve cover gasket.

So .. that's down the road from me. I might test them today and ask a few questions of the dealer.

Any thoughts on those two? Sure hope you guys don't get tired of me... LOL .. I'm really scared that I'll get stuck with a lemon, and I just can't afford to.

Thanks again,
    Diana
    Here's the CarFax report on the Saturn:

http://tiny.cc/j8zyk
    No car at all..it's a pure scam.

They get the pictures from some other ad on the internet.. You can submit an ad to your local paper on-line. Plus, almost all local papers are hooked up with Cars.com for their ads. That doesn't make it legitimate. Chances are this is some kid in Nigeria...

As mentioned above, if someone really had a $10K car that they just wanted to get rid of fast, they'd walk into a Nissan dealer and walk out with a check in 30 minutes.. They wouldn't take out an ad to sell it for $2800.

In the car business, you can make a good deal, but you aren't going to steal a car for 1/2 its value.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    It is good that you are doing your research.

I have also been scared off the Altima not long ago, so I know what you are referring to. It is probably best just to forget that car.

And, yes, it looks like the SL has head gasket issues. Also something I would not want to mess with if I were you.

It sounds like you are looking for any decent mid-sized car.

I suggest a Mazda6i (4-cyl model). There are some reports of timing chain failure on the '03s, but I don't see the same complaints on the '04+ years.

You may also want to look for an '03+ Elantra. Those seem to have good reliability, too, and are cheap cheap to buy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I second that, about an '03-'06 Elantra. They're smaller than something like an Accord, but a little more roomy than something like a Focus or a Civic; should be able to find one in good shape for a reasonable price.
    Unfortunately, the word has gotten out about how good the Gen 3 Elantras are, and their prices are going up steadily. The value of my 2004 GT has actually increased over the past year. It might be possible to find a good sample under $6k, but it will likely have lots of miles and no ABS. I finally gave up on my search for a reasonably priced used car like an Elantra and went the lease route, $179/mo for 39 mos. a 2010 Sentra 2.0S. Payments are about the same if I bought a $6k car, paid all the taxes and fees, and financed it over 4 years. And no worries about unexpected expenses.
    backy: that's exactly what I wanted to do in the beginning ... lease a car. But my income is too low they said, I'm on SSI and get a bit from husband for alimony. I'm bummed.
    UGH! Tested several cars yesterday ... nothing good. Those 4 cyl. have no power! LOL, I'm too use to my Chrysler Concorde and it's powerful engine.

Haven't tried the Elantra yet ... still looking for one nearby me. I'm also looking to see if I can find a Honda Accord in my price range ... probably not without high miles, but I can try. And speaking of that, how high is TOO high, on the mileage on an Accord? In other words, if I find one within my price range, but it has over 100,000 .... is it worth still considering?

Sometimes I feel I want to overall my car and keep it. But alas, he's 15 years old, and who knows how much longer he'll run?

So .... I keep on truckin. :-)
    I drive a '96 Accord 4-cylinder 52 miles round-trip to work each day. It now has 210k miles. I've spent around $300/year on repair; usually one component simply gets old and starts to have a problem. The only time I was left stranded by it was when I noticed my radiator had a tiny hairline-crack and miniscule leak, so I had it replaced; the dealer didn't properly clamp a hose and all my coolant ran out on I-59 in Birmingham. In July. During afternoon rush-hour. It was a rough afternoon! :)

Overall though, I'd trust the car to take me to the beach. The A/C still blows cold, I use the cruise control daily, and have a rear power-door lock that doesn't work. Beyond that, the car doesn't even have a rattle, and brings right at 30 MPG if I keep my highway speed at 70 or under.

Does that mean everyone has had such good luck with high-mileage Accords? No, but it seems that the older the Accord, the more reliable they tended to be. I have a 2006 Accord with 60k miles on it, but still love my old '96 as the daily driver; I got it in 2002 with 120k miels on it and developed a "connection" with it. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, but that this point, I could be driving it for awhile!
    edited May 2010
    Thanks graduate: I'm surprised at how well the Accords hold up!

I just called a local dealer, and he was headed to the auction today ... said there would be Accords and Civics there, said he was buying as many as he could. Told me to call him this evening, and he'd let me know what he got.

Can you tell me what you think of the Civic? I know it's smaller than the Accord, but does it hold up as well, and does it hold it's value?

I have found a few in my area just above what my credit union will allow me, and it's driving me crazy, but I'll just keep looking around. Would you advise buying older than 2000 now?

Thanks ever so much .. and whoever else wants to join in, all the help I can get, is needed.
    Just be aware that when buying a 10+ year old car with 100k+ miles on it, that you will indeed have things that start breaking, minor and major. I'd not buy a car with that many years or miles without planning on $300-$400 a year for things to fail.

The Civics and Accords of the same Vintage should prove equally reliable/dependable. My grandparents have a '97 Civic LX with 145k miles on it, and have replaced the catalytic converter ($700) but not anything else that I'm aware of. I drive them in it occasionally; still does just fine, but it definitely won't have the same power your Concorde does. 32-35 MPG in regular driving has its price. :)
    Thanks again graduate .. yeah, I'm really going to miss my Concorde power. :)

Actually, I started looking at some Concordes online today ... not bad on pricing for 2000-2005. I've heard there's one motor that's crappy .. but can't remember which, for that car. I'd love another like what I have, only newer .. just not sure I want to stay with a large car ... for gas purposes.

Thanks for the advice on the Civic.
    Have you looked at the previous-generation Sebring, and Stratus? Those are more compact than the Concorde but are serviceable cars, and are priced pretty low.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    The crappy motor is the 2.7 engine. Not sure if it came on the Concorde, but it has seen use in the Intrepid, Charger, and 300.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    The Civic will hold up just as well as the Accord. They are both good cars.
  • blitzg99blitzg99 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,

I am in the market for buying a used Honda Accord (2005 - 2007) for about < 13,000. I am rather new to the US and have some questions for people who have used Honda Accord buying experience.

1) How negotiable is the price at a dealership. I understand that Honda Accords are reliable cars and have good resale value and in high demand. Is is possible to do some negotiations over the price at dealerships. Also how risky is it buying a used car without any warranty ?

2) I am based in Minneapolis,MN. Do dealerships here allow pre sales car inspection , i.e., can I take the car to an independent mechanic for inspection before I pay.

Any recent experience that anybody can share will in this regard be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

RG
  • icyman6969icyman6969 Member Posts: 7
    I need help, here is my history, last 14 years

Saturn SL1 (first car at 16)
    Explorer Sport Trac
    Explorer
    Highlander
    4Runner
    Camry

I currently drive a 2007 Camry, loaded with all bells and whistles, my lease is up in September and need help on what to do next. My wife has the suv now in the family for the kids (2010 Mazda CX-9).

I want to stay in the sedan family or very small suv as I feel we need 1 car in family that gets 25-30 mpg. I was considering the Prius, Accord & Altima. I believe my budget for leasing is an msrp between 25k-28k.

I was going to go Prius, but trunk will not hold our stroller, if we ever take that car as we would have 2 car seats for the kids.

I feel like the Accord and Altima similar to what I drive now, just another car, and I like excitement and like to mix things up, thats why I do not want another Camry. The New Hyundai is nice, but locally they will not do much better than msrp.

I wish I could buy instead of lease, but I cannot afford payments to be more than $375 and do not have more than $1k to put down. I have excellent credit.

I feel that I am restricted as at that msrp range, I am losing Nav that I have now and some silly options like dual power seats.

Anyone have any recommendations on something in that range that is comfy, good size trunk and has Leather, Bluetooth and Satellite radio at least.

Please help and thank you
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    The New Hyundai is nice, but locally they will not do much better than msrp.

By the time your lease ends in September, dealers getting MSRP for the Sonata will be a distant memory...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I'd buy a less-expensive pre-owned car (a 2009-10 Sonata with low miles can be had for $10k-$15k depending on trim and how many miles); break that habit of leasing. You can get them with heated leather, bluetooth, Satellite, and they have a very large trunk. It'll be under warranty, has an excellent safety record, and should meet your other requirements for now.

At 7% interest, you'd have payments of $360/mo for 4 years on a $15,000 car with nothing down. After that 4 years you still have a car, no payments to make, and time to save for your next purchased vehicle.

Just telling you what I'd do. We're all here to share opinions, right? :)
    Good thinking. Actually, for someone with excellent credit (as stated), the picture is even better than that. My bank will do 4.29% for 60 months on a new or late-model used car, and with that, a $16k loan (assume a really nice, loaded, low miles 2009-10 Sonata with $1000 down) is just under $300 a month. Well within the budget. Might be able to work something similar on a slightly used Fusion/Milan (which are very nice also).
  • syrup1syrup1 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    I have a 95 altima GXE 2.4 with 5 Spd manual. 300K miles. Clutch was gettingthin. Had oil pump, water pump, clutch, both axles, brakes all around (only 3rd set on car), new timing set, headers, with a flowmaster exhaust. I thought it was time before it left me on the side of road. Nothing was broken though. mechanic said it still had factory honing swirl marks on cylinder walls and no lip at top from being worn down, He was flabbergasted. :shades: :D He said with all i replaced it should last another 300K miles. I cant possibly explain what i have put this car through. I have pulled stumps with it, hauled 6000lbs of gravel multiple times with a trailer, hauled drywall, concrete blocks. Packed it full of wife, kids, luggage and drove 90 MPh from St. Louis to florida and it STILL gets 35 MPG. Moved my entire househld, my sister in laws household with it. I have a neighbor with a 94 and 450K miles on it and she drives from Stl to Chicago every weekend to see her mother in a home. I also have 2 Hyundai's(2004 Santa Fe 3.5 AWD, & 2002 Accent) Nissan kicks all their butts hands down....